Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toeknee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
My coworker has the original Mac 128k, the one that started all of this. I've been meaning to fire it up. One problem, he doesn't know where the system disks are, since it had the OS on disks (due to the lack of HD) we are goin no where. Just wondering if anybody knows where I could find these disks stopping short of garage sales and museums :) Thanks everyone.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I may have my backups of 6.0.8 but I'll have to look for them but I don't think that they're on 400 KB diskettes.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
There's a Carracho server called "OS6" - and it has EVERYTHING associated with Classic Macs - OS's, programs, etc., so download the new Carracho client from http://www.carracho.com and do the search through http://www.tracker-tracker.com for the location of OS6...

Great for emulators, but even better for your predicament.

Your only problem would be to source the 400k disks, and find a way to write onto them.

The only way I could see you MIGHT be able to do this is thru a PC - believe it or not. Try HVFExplorer, which you can find at:

http://gamma.nic.fi/~lpesonen/HFVExplorer/

It's a great method of getting software to run thru a Mac emulator on the PC (i.e. Basilisk II) - and it also creates Mac-formatted disks on a PC's drive. Whether the program will write to 400k disks is another matter...

Give it a go - it may work!

;)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I have every MacOS back to System 1... now if I could only find the CD... :rolleyes:

Oh... Mac Plus? Well :p !! Nevermind. You wouldn't have much fun running pre-OS 6 on one of those.

128KMac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Along those lines - MacWrite??

Along the same lines, I have a bunch of old docs done in MacWrite and MacWrite II. Modern WORD, WordPerfect, etc. can't read them. Might there be some old downloadable MacWrite programs out there someplace? If so, would I also need to download and install OS 6 and try to run off of that (I am on a Mac 450). Thanks.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Up until last summer I had my original Apple 2e that I bought in '83. The monitor was dead, but everything else worked fine. It was even fully upgraded (that means it had two floppy drives instead of one -- yippee).

My wife wanted to get rid of it, but I told her that I had screenplays and short stories on floppies (those huge floppies, what were they called? I just loved those old ribbon cords).

Later, I couldn't find the floppies anymore so I agreed to get rid of the antique. Of course, a week later I found the floppies. I sure miss my ol' Apple. It was certainly no slower that my current Mac -- thanks to no graphics.

B@SS_SHOCK

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
Perth, WA
If you have vintage Macs (I have a 128k, 512k, 512e and a Mac Plus) it's fruitless if you don't have the 400k disks. Fire in the shed and there goes a box of system disks and games. Luckily I had a HD so I can run them but have no apps or games :( :(

But I could be wrong, post back if you've used normal floppies to run your mac plus!

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
kind of off topic, but I have a Mac SE with a 20MB harddrive and 1 800K floppy drive that I just picked up for $10 dollars a few days ago. The only problem is that the floppy drive wont work. When you try to put a disk in, it wont do anything, so you have to shove it in. Then it wont read it and I had to use the paper clip to get it out. I have a IIVX and I want to put the software on that and use LocalTalk to put it on the SE. I have the cables, but I dont know how to make them work. Can anyone help?:confused:

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Re: OS for ORIGINAL Mac 128k

Originally posted by Toeknee
My coworker has the original Mac 128k, the one that started all of this. I've been meaning to fire it up. One problem, he doesn't know where the system disks are, since it had the OS on disks (due to the lack of HD) we are goin no where. Just wondering if anybody knows where I could find these disks stopping short of garage sales and museums :) Thanks everyone.

Will this help?

http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/plus.shtml

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by me hate windows
kind of off topic, but I have a Mac SE with a 20MB harddrive and 1 800K floppy drive that I just picked up for $10 dollars a few days ago. The only problem is that the floppy drive wont work. When you try to put a disk in, it wont do anything, so you have to shove it in. Then it wont read it and I had to use the paper clip to get it out. I have a IIVX and I want to put the software on that and use LocalTalk to put it on the SE. I have the cables, but I dont know how to make them work. Can anyone help?:confused:

It's been a while, but I had a 3 node LocalTalk network. Connect the cables to the printer (or modem) ports and make sure both ends are terminated.

Use the AppleTalk control panel to set up a computer name and turn on AppleTalk on each machine.

Use the File Sharing control panel to turn on file sharing. I think this is where you set up external users too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.