Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
USA Today offers details on the upcoming Pepsi/iTunes Superbowl ad campaign which will launch the 100 million iTunes song giveaway.

The new ad campaign will feature 20 teens who were sued by the Recording Industry Association of America for illegal music downloads.

In the ad, [Annie] Leith holds a Pepsi and proclaims: "We are still going to download music for free off the Internet." Then the announcer says how: "Announcing the Pepsi iTunes Giveaway."

Green Day is reported to have recorded a special version of "I Fought the Law" for the Pepsi ad. The ad will appear on Feb 1st during the Superbowl.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Wow, Greenday used to be against iTunes. Greenday used to be totally against co-operating for TV ads.
Now they've actually made a track specifically for this ad. Apple/Pepsi must be doing something right.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
I fought the law .. and the law won?
And.. I can now download stuff for free, but after I've purchased a sugared water. That's a new definition of free.

Well.. I'm sure the ad will get people's attention, and that's what it's made to do.

brooklyn

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
Originally posted by junior
Wow, Greenday used to be against iTunes. Greenday used to be totally against co-operating for TV ads.
Now they've actually made a track specifically for this ad. Apple/Pepsi must be doing something right.

Yeah, Their offering a band that hasn't made much money lately a whole lot of money. They would’ve been stupid and starved if they hadn’t!

FriarTuck

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2003
Chicago area
How long before the first newspaper article with some whiny knucklehead suing Apple and Pepsi after getting scammed with phony iTunes code numbers on eBay?

This could be the biggest law & order media campaign since "Just say no." Nancy Reagan, we thank you for inspiring us.

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Ad looks like it will be really funny. Almost wish I hadn't read the teaser though. Those ads might be the best part of the Superbowl...no offense to any Patriots or Panthers fans. ;)

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Originally posted by Trekkie
too bad I hate pepsi.

any ideas of anything to mix with pepsi? a rum and coke just doesnt taste the same when it is a rum and pepsi.

second time ive switched in two years, first from win-tel to mac, and soon from coke to pepsi. . . least while the giveaway is running!!!

good ad though! good to see greenday is still. . . alive!

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by wPod
any ideas of anything to mix with pepsi? a rum and coke just doesnt taste the same when it is a rum and pepsi.

I think Long Island's taste better with Pepsi. The extra sweetness of the Pepsi works to dull the Sour mix. Mmm, tasty.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Too much football, not enough commercials

Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
Ad looks like it will be really funny. Almost wish I hadn't read the teaser though. Those ads might be the best part of the Superbowl...no offense to any Patriots or Panthers fans. ;)

You know, it's really irritating that they interrupt all the entertaining commercials with that silly football thing. Oh well. At least it gives me time to get more beer and chips before the commercials start again. :)

brooklyn

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
What can Pepsi haters do in order to get an itunes code number?

1. Force your children to drink that crap and keep the cap.
2. Walk into a bodega and steal the caps off the bottles.
3. See if they have one of those "No Purchase Necessary Disclosers" and mail away for one.

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
Hahaha! Great angle. It reminds me of the way The Simpsons constantly poke fun of FOX programming and Rupert Murdoch. Take that RIAA ^_^ You just know there is going to be alot of editorializing (as long as they talk about apple it will be good) about these commercials and unless there is some bombshell dropped by another company they will likely be the hit of the Superbowl. The editorializing will get irritating eventually. I can read it now "Edgy Pepsi/Apple Giveway Ad A Winner...But Sad Legal Battle Is Hotbutton Blah Blah Blah"

Bill O'Reilly "Blah Blah Blah values encourages kids to do legal thing blah blah blah underlies the blah blah isn't this just exploiting blah blah blah everything is wrong with younger people blah blah blah blah i don't know what i'm talking about but easily swayed people take my word as golden blah blah blah".

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Good stuff! I agree with the above, this thing is going to be HUGE!

By itself, Pepsi and Apple both have good commercials... together they should be quite the team!:D

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2002
i wish i wouldn't have read that...i would have liked the suspense...sounds like a fantastic ad (from a person who deals with advertising professionally)...

of course...i won't step foot in the states until long after this thing is over...boohoo...v

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
I love the ad...

and may I add (rimshot)

FINALLY A NEW MACRUMORS Posting!

Things have been quiet in Apple Land......too quiet.....

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
ugh greenday--they suck so bad
I have no interest in watching the ad
maybe I'll just turn the sound down
so I can continue to use my ears
the rest of my life

couch11

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2004
You could always drink Sierra Mist

If you don't like pepsi per se just drink Sierra Mist. The bottles will have the codes also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.