Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
January 23, 2004

Kazaa Owner Cleared to Sue Record Labels, Movie Studios
By Jon Healey, Times Staff Writer

The company behind the Kazaa file-sharing network has the green light to pursue its own copyright infringement case against the record labels and Hollywood studios that accuse it of promoting piracy.

Sharman Networks Ltd. alleges that in their effort to catch people sharing files illegally, the labels and studios used unauthorized and unlicensed versions of Kazaa to monitor users of the network.

The company also claims that the labels breached the license agreement on Kazaa software by sending instant-message warnings and bogus files through the network.

U.S. District Judge Stephen V. Wilson in Los Angeles ruled last week that Sharman can pursue those claims...
Nice to know this copyright case has the greenlight to move forward.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
:cool: I hope they win
rollinglaugh.gif

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I don't like illegal music downloads but I dislike even more the greedy music industry's heads for the way they have been handling things in the past.

So, I find this amusing ^_^

1 thumb up

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by srobert
I don't like illegal music downloads but I dislike even more the greedy music industry's heads for the way they have been handling things in the past.

So, I find this amusing ^_^

1 thumb up

My thoughts exactly. Kazaa's ethics are questionable at best, but the RIAA's approach at stopping them is equally shady.

Ugh. :rolleyes:

denjeff

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
a pen :)
wonder what they do against all other sharing programs: limewire, bittorrent, hotline, carracho,... there are just too many of them. illegal DL will always stay alive, unless they make it legal :D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by denjeff
illegal DL will always stay alive, unless they make it legal :D

unless legit people stop buying as well, and the source runs out.... ;)

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
Kazaa is source of millions (maybe billions) of copyright infringments every day.

This is the second time they are suing someone for violating thier own copyrights.

Irony/hypocracy anyone?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Kazaa is crap anyway, it has so much spyware with it. And they want you to pay to get rid of the spyware. :confused:

They are also trying to sue people like Kazaa Lite, because Kazaa Lite provides a version of Kazaa without spyware for free. I hope Kazaa looses because of their attitude.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
What the HELL are you talking about?

There is no OFFICAL KaZaA Client for mac.

Oh my god, MIS-INFORMATION!

Stop spreading lies!

There are programs that access FastTrack (KaZaA network) like Poisoned... but its obviously not the "offical" KaZaA client... becuse then Sherman would have to own the rights and put spyware in it... :mad:

Sherman network killed KaZaA lite because it was a better product then they had... and it was free w/ no spyware.

coopdog -- I slap you for your lies.

Pay Version? HA!

To restate:
Offical Client for Mac -- NO
Access to KaZaA Network -- YES

edit: as for the lawsuit, good for them. The RIAA scanned their PRIVATE network using illegal methods to track users. Good Job Sherman fighting back.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I find it amusing, sue the sue happy... I doubt all of the lawsuits will make either of the change their ways. :(

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
Originally posted by MrMacman
What the HELL are you talking about?

There is no OFFICAL KaZaA Client for mac.

Oh my god, MIS-INFORMATION!

Stop spreading lies!

There are programs that access FastTrack (KaZaA network) like Poisoned... but its obviously not the "offical" KaZaA client... becuse then Sherman would have to own the rights and put spyware in it... :mad:

Sherman network killed KaZaA lite because it was a better product then they had... and it was free w/ no spyware.

coopdog -- I slap you for your lies.

Pay Version? HA!

To restate:
Offical Client for Mac -- NO
Access to KaZaA Network -- YES

edit: as for the lawsuit, good for them. The RIAA scanned their PRIVATE network using illegal methods to track users. Good Job Sherman fighting back.

Lighen up!

Did I ever ****ing say official client, NO. All it is, is kazza media desktop with spyware removed. So basically it is Kazza. And yeah it is a pay version.

Right here.

aftk2

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Pacific NW
Heh, it's funny...I can just see the reason for their lawsuit:

"Well, you see, RIAA...how on earth are we supposed to get users to use our software, when you're not putting out anything remotely interesting for them to pirate?!"

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Originally posted by aftk2
"Well, you see, RIAA...how on earth are we supposed to get users to use our software, when you're not putting out anything remotely interesting for them to pirate?!"

lol!

One thing's for sure: all these lawsuits isn't going to bring the cost of music down, lawsuits cost loads of cash.

More expensive music = more illegal downloads

IMHO it'll all end up backfiring at them :rolleyes:

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I knew I should have become a lawyer!

They are the only ones that make any money off these suits.
I doubt either side will ever win and if they do it could take years, and by that time there will be new file sharing methods.

Of course if a judge places an injunction on the RIAA against using these illegal methods, then that could be a huge blow to the RIAA which would be good since they are eroding our rights!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by coopdog
Lighen up!

Did I ever ****ing say official client, NO. All it is, is kazza media desktop with spyware removed. So basically it is Kazza. And yeah it is a pay version.

Right here.
What the hell are you talking about?

KaZaA Lite was Killed.

KaZaA (offical) shut it down.

That just has the old version (the last release) of a FREE PRODUCT that they are now trying to SELL it... what, do you work for them or something?

And NO KaZaA Lite was NEVER for Mac.

Never.
Never.

For Mac there is MlMac, Poisoned and iSwipe. iSwipe has been is perpetual beta forever (1 devolper)... mLMac is using the edonk network so its just easier you get a command line then use their GUI version...
And Poisoned is probably the most finished product out of all of them.

[/endrant]

*sigh* as for the case I'm glad the winner is always the Lawyers.

Keep suing... keep it coming.

P.S KaZaA Lite was Killed by Sherman Network (KaZaA) because it did violate its rights and software. The KaZaA Lite people took the code from KaZaA and improved it, what people are now trying to do is pass this Formely FREE software out and trying to sell it, which is also illegal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.