Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I have photographed weddings and portraits made albums for both and i currently am a staff photographer for a paper. my question to you, the public is:

What the hell is a light table actually for?

if you want to lay out a book or an album, just use the album feature in aperture, or do what i do and use indesign for albums. is apple just putting another useless feature on already, shall we say, less speedy software?

it also seems to me that if you actually did have something to use it for it seems near impossible to control.

any thoughts?:confused:

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I use a light table all the time. For one thing, it's really easy to look at 4"x5" negatives on it. Second, using one makes it so much easier to mat photos when framing.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
amusingly everyone is talking about electric light tables. i think that might be your answer when people don't even realise you're talking about a feature of Aperture.

I personally don't use this feature either.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
What would be even more amazing is if this guy didn't even know what a light table originally referred to.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
And to reach it you walked two hours in the snow...uphill...both ways...

At 4am and the snow was just over half a meter deep and kind of wet and heavy. And you did it after you milked the cows. And on the way back you had to carry firewood for the night. And there were wolfs in the forest.
:p

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What the hell is a light table actually for?

It seems that you must have never shoot film.

If you want to look at a negative or transparency and check for focus or exposure how else can you except to place it on a light table and then look using a loupe?

I still have a light table and I use it to sort my film. I'm in the process of scanning all of the film and I need to look at it to know which frames to scan.

I plan on getting back into film one day. It will likely be 4x5 and then I'll need the light table to judge the film again. So I'm keeping mine.

If you mean the "light table" in Aperture. It's just a qick and easy way to test out some layout ideas and see if pictures "go together".

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
It seems that you must have never shoot film.

If you want to look at a negative or transparency and check for focus or exposure how else can you except to place it on a light table and then look using a loupe?

I still have a light table and I use it to sort my film. I'm in the process of scanning all of the film and I need to look at it to know which frames to scan.

I plan on getting back into film one day. It will likely be 4x5 and then I'll need the light table to judge the film again. So I'm keeping mine.

If you mean the "light table" in Aperture. It's just a qick and easy way to test out some layout ideas and see if pictures "go together".

[points to post #4] :rolleyes:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
You kids get off my lawn! In MY day we had light tables that were lit up with candles!

Whatever you whipper-snapper. Tables weren't even invented yet... we just had slabs of rock, the blood of a slaughtered pig, and our fingers.

Anyway... I use light-tables in Aperture to make the layout of my books, and to compare images. If you have a large screen or dual monitors it's very helpful and allows you to actually use your computer like a light-table. Much better than selecting multiple images and comparing statically.

Try comparing five to eight or more images by selecting them all and bringing them up in the viewer... then try dropping them into a light-table and zooming into them, resizing them, moving them aside and so forth.

It's quite a useful tool for editing.

p.s. My first photo. :D

Attachments

• cave_painting_l.jpg
    cave_painting_l.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 67

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
what about the control issue, doesnt that bother you guys and gals? it seems that the light table wants to make itself way bigger way faster than it should.

just my opinion,

chris

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Dear me, this thread is hilarious for two completely different reasons. Thanks for the laughs to those who intended them and likewise to those who won't understand this post at all. :D

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Light tables in Aperture: no, I haven't had the need to use them yet
Light tables in real life: yes, I use them frequently.
:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.