Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
i have an old 92 isuzu rodeo with an old tape deck. to connect my ipod i used one of those tape adapters. i would love to see some company come up with either a harddrive based car deck or a CD deck with a firewire port located in the front to connect an external ipod. ill be selling my idea for a few million $$$'s apple.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i don't think a firewire port would make a lot of sense, if it had audio inputs so you could connect any mp3 player or cd player that would be good but that's already available on high end receivers
as for the hard drive based car deck i'm pretty sure that's already been done

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
what about something like an iPod Deck?

you just slide your ipod back (connector side first) into the deck of your car. there is then a display and you can control the ipod with your in-car audio controls.

well, I think it's a good idea

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
With close to 1 million iPods sold last yearl; and all the car accessories sold there seems to be a market.

I know that my partner and i would upgrade our car stereos.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by michaelrjohnson
you just slide your ipod back (connector side first) into the deck of your car.
OMG history does repeat itself huh? 8 track looking decks in the future?

Originally posted by thehuncamunca
i don't think a firewire port would make a lot of sense, if it had audio inputs so you could connect any mp3 player or cd player that would be good but that's already available on high end receivers
as for the hard drive based car deck i'm pretty sure that's already been done
ive only seen 1/8" audio inputs on really really low end car audio decks and besides 1/8" inputs are not very 'high end' at all. also i have never seen any harddrive based car audio decks.

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
There is a company that made an mp3 player that is a cassete tape it has an earphone jack and when you're in your car you just put it in the tape deck and it'll play. I'm not sure what it was called but I saw it in a macaddict magazine many months ago. It had 96 mb of memory

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
Re: thought of an idea

Originally posted by slipper
i have an old 92 isuzu rodeo with an old tape deck. to connect my ipod i used one of those tape adapters. i would love to see some company come up with either a harddrive based car deck or a CD deck with a firewire port located in the front to connect an external ipod. ill be selling my idea for a few million $$$'s apple.

sony made a model with a hard drive, cd player, and memory stick reader (optional) two years ago. it even came with a color lcd screen you can show your photos in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.