PDA

View Full Version : Moving large library from Pc to Mac

alphacourt
Sep 30, 2008, 03:00 PM
I've just done this - i have used the library files from my old PC to preserve my playlists and ratings.

Of course, iTunes doesn't know the new location of the files. I've come across this fix - http://40withegg.com/2008/3/8/mac-attack-making-itunes-find-those-original-files-especially-on-a-nas - but it isn't quite working for me.

Anyone know of any other methods before i get my hands dirty with manually setting file locations?

Thanks, AC

hwojtek
Sep 30, 2008, 06:09 PM
I moved my wife's iTunes library from a PC by copying the whole iTunes folder from Windows "My Music" to Mac, then opening the iTunes Music Library.xml on the Mac (using TextWrangler) and doing a wholesale "Search and Replace" where "Replace" was "C:\Documents and Settings\Monica\My Documents\My Music" and "with" was "file://localhost/Users/Monica/Music/", IIRC

Create a single-file Library on a Mac and take a look into the xml file on a Mac and on the PC so you'd catch the difference between them (the data from <key>Music Folder</key> on the Mac and the relevant one on the PC will be helpful to sort out the paths)

Edit: and I think I did delete all the iTunes files except from the .xml one on the Mac and jsut let the library rebuild...

alphacourt
Oct 1, 2008, 02:58 AM
Thanks, hwojtek. I tried that just after posting last night - when i save the XML file and start iTunes it seem to revert back their old locations - file://localhost/F:/ME/iTunes/iTunes%20Music - although any files that i've manually replaced in iTunes retain the correct location - file://localhost/Users/Me/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music.

alphacourt
Oct 1, 2008, 03:31 AM
Just trying out the Itunes Track CPR script from Doug's Scripts.