Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Is it possible to overclock the 12" iBook 700mhz g3 with Radeon 16mb?

Im trying to get a litter more umph from this ibook now that I got garageband installed on it, and I seem to recall that you could overclock these ibooks, can anyone help me out here? Im running X.3.3 also.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Threre was a little piece of software, CHUD tools 1.1, that could do exactly what you are talking about, but it is nowhere to be found. When apple found out about this, they updated the program to prevent machine overclocking. You could always try hardware overclocking, but I would *not* recommend that..

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Well my ibook isnt under warranty anyways So I wouldnt mind trying it.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Originally posted by jadam
Well my ibook isnt under warranty anyways So I wouldnt mind trying it.

Ok you could try.. but I am warning you, laptops (iBooks in particular) are much harder tp over clock than desktops. Make you sure you know what you are doing and I hope you are a skilled solderer. Good luck though.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
If I were you, you may want to consider more RAM. I had 640MB in mine until it went bad. I'm now running 128MB until i get it replaced under warranty.

It is honestly like a completely different machine. (in my case I noticed how much slower it is without the extra memory)

The only downside is PC100 RAM prices are through the roof right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.