Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last night, an individual started spreading fake rumors of Steve Jobs suffering from a heart attack. The story was posted to CNN's iReport "unedited" and "unfiltered" citizen journalism site and subsequently submitted to Digg.com.

The Digg story then gained attention on 4chan, an unmoderated discussion board, which then proceeded to promote the story. 4chan most recently gained (even further) notoriety as the discussion forum where vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's email account contents and password were posted.

Apple's stock took a brief dip this morning based on the rumors. An Apple spokesperson has confirmed that the rumor is "not true".

Article Link

jcb10

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
I call shenanigans!

Sounds like someone's short-selling, trying to pick up some cheap APPL.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
My initial reaction here is that this was done to manipulate the stock price. Note how the stock spiked lower to $94.65. It's now hovering at $104

I'm sure the feds and SEC will investigate.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F138 Safari/525.20)

brilliant. It was probably the next part of microsofts marketing strategy.

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
Whoever did that seriously needs to get a life. That is among the lowest thing that you can do. However, it has highlighted the importance of Steve Jobs to Apple and the way that he is identified with the product. When Steve actually retires, I wonder what will happen to the stock then...

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I SWEAR if I catch the &@#$&^@!*$Y%&$)*@#%*#$!)@#$&%@&^!#)$&@$%&!^@#$)@#$%&@#)!#&*%#$) who did this I'm going to rip him a new Macbook Air. I am SO TORQUED by this. My call options lost $1 in 10 minutes because of this and they're not exactly recovering right now.

WHY THE HECK IS IT TRADING AT $104!! AAPL should be trading at $110 easy! :mad:

Okay, rant over. Time for some relaxing music. :)

xix

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
To anyone who rated this "positive": die in a fire.

Edit: Also, 4chan is not "unmoderated." Way to fact check.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
This is what happens when you let ametures "try" and be reporters. CNN should be ashamed of themselves, and are ultimately responsible for this. As you can see, the stakes are just too high to let beginners (and bloggers!) pretend to be journalists...

Journalists used to have ethics, and that included fact checking. That seems to have gone the way of the Dodo. CNN has thrown their ethics out the window by just ALLOWING "citizen" journalists, especially with no oversight. I see Lara Logan has been stealing Iraqi art from the war zone, many other things... Journalism just is not what it used to be at all.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I SWEAR if I catch the &@#$&^@!*$Y%&$)*@#%*#$!)@#$&%@&^!#)$&@$%&!^@#$)@#$%&@#)!#&*%#$) who did this I'm going to rip him a new Macbook Air. I am SO TORQUED by this. My call options lost $1 in 10 minutes because of this and they're not exactly recovering right now.

WHY THE HECK IS IT TRADING AT $104!! AAPL should be trading at $110 easy! :mad:

Okay, rant over. Time for some relaxing music. :)

You honestly probably care more about this than Steve Jobs.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Whoever stooped low enough to spread a rumor or a Jobs heart attack should be ashamed. It looks like there are many people out the get AAPL and it seems to be an easy job with AAPL stocks being so fickle based upon silly rumors...

ShadoW

chocolate

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2007
Filtering

Since such nefarious acts manipulate, and potentially harm, our nations fragile market(s), perhaps the NSA can be persuaded to add new criteria to their filters.

It would be boost to 'national security' to catch a few dweebs like this.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Sounds like someone did a tinkle in your cereal this morning. Piss of these boards, eh?

It's interesting how everyone has these conspiracy theories about why the person(s) did it and that serious investigations will occur due to stock price manipultion. That's enough to give a normal person a hearty laugh. Job's health has been a topic of intense interest for months now and they probably wanted to see if they were lucky enough to get it on CNN's page for a few minutes. The fact that it would make the front page of several news sites, I'm sure, was unexpected.

Continuing on this 'conspiracy theory' train of thought, whenever Apple does anything suspicious, 98% of the people here believe it to be absolutely ridiculous to imagine that Apple's intentions are anything but genuine and kind--without thinking (much like this thread). I'm not arguing that Apple is guilty of conspiring, but people's attitudes sure change very quickly around here. Bi-polar, anyone?

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois

+1

Well, for all intents and purposes, /b/ is pretty much unmoderated.

No one should care too much if it came from 4chan...cause it's so full of normal people :rolleyes::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.