Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Whoever did that seriously needs to get a life. That is among the lowest thing that you can do. However, it has highlighted the importance of Steve Jobs to Apple and the way that he is identified with the product. When Steve actually retires, I wonder what will happen to the stock then...

They have one - it's called "Day Trading"... :eek:

Now they can go out and get that new, larger yacht...

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
If Steve Jobs is really dead/dies, is apple going to die also?
I hope not...

Most people who have acquired as much as Steve Jobs would take an early retirement. As much as I appreciate his passion and vision for Apple products, I think it is about time for someone else to assume the role as CEO as he phases himself out just as he phased himself back in. Better to do it gradually than suddenly. Everyone is on pins and needles about his health.

Like it was earlier mentioned, let someone else deliver MacWorld keynote. Steve can support from the audience with applause (and frequent camera pans). At the end, he can take the stage and commend all the workers making up Apple.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Post #32, and #91 might be construed as such too. There may be others.

Might be construed, as in, they don't actually say so, but that is your chosen interpretation?

As I have said in the numerous threads on Steve's health, he doesn't need to turn over any medical records, he just needs to be a bit more up-front about his situation. He could put the speculation to rest without providing any real detail. But because Steve is Steve, he thinks this isn't necessary. I think he's wrong.

Addressed in your opinion. Apparently opinions differ. HIPPA is entirely about medical privacy. Those rules are considerably more strict and less vague than the SEC rules on this matter. It's not just a matter of records. They can't even say what condition(s) or severity of condition a patient has without the patient's consent. I'm not sure they can even confirm or deny a person was a patient.

HIPPA is totally irrelevant to this situation. Nobody is asking Steve's doctors to reveal anything.

Maybe they would comply if enough stockholders demanded such reports. Maybe you can complain to the SEC. Also, you are free to invest your money wherever you like. Jobs will eventually die, he may even retire before then, it's only a matter of when. I don't think having more information necessarily helps.

The question comes up at stockholders meetings, and it also comes up in earnings conference calls. It's been the elephant in the room for a couple of years now. The point I am making is that Steve and Apple aren't being nearly as responsible to their investors as they should be. The failure to address the questions fuels speculation and fear, which is reflected in the value of investor equity. The fact that Steve and Apple have done so little to put this to rest only amplifies the fear, the fear that he's going to be unable to run Apple in the near future, and that no heir apparent is in waiting.

Perhaps "false" rumor would have been better?

arn

"Unsubstantiated" or "malicious" are the words I might have chosen.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
Get over it? How would you like if it was people were writting to say you were already dead or having heart attacks when it wasn't true? :rolleyes:

Grow up! and stop your obsession with this guy Steve Jobs is a man not a God get over it already its time for him to step aside anyway and let someone else take over. I am so sick of the iMac its time for some new ideas! in my opinion he might be holding the company back at this point.

Life goes on!

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Might be construed, as in, they don't actually say so, but that is your chosen interpretation?

I don't see any other plausible explanation.

HIPPA is totally irrelevant to this situation. Nobody is asking Steve's doctors to reveal anything.

But you're saying it's legal for the business to reveal information on Steve's health? I'm pretty sure that's covered by the same law. As far as I can tell, Steve doesn't even have to reveal anything his condition to the company if he doesn't want to. If he's legally required by the SEC to report that he's going for surgery, then it's an almost completely unenforced requirement, at least, I've never heard of it being enforced.

Share holders can ask questions, but if that's all they are doing, then they aren't going as far as their rights are to demand it if they aren't pushing a petition for a vote on the subject.

Adjei

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Grow up! and stop your obsession with this guy Steve Jobs is a man not a God get over it already its time for him to step aside anyway and let someone else take over. I am so sick of the iMac its time for some new ideas! in my opinion he might be holding the company back at this point.

Life goes on!
My obsession with Steve jobs, where did you imply that from smart a$$...:rolleyes:

Because I have concern over your utter respect for someone's privacy and life you are writting that rubbish. Why don't you go and take over Apple since you are so capable of running multibillion dollar companies and bring your "new ideas", nonsense..:rolleyes:

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
I think that discussion board should be shut down. Promoting stealing of peoples emails and fake heart attacks. Either that or they need better mods. The mods around here would clean them up. I got banned for making too many posts in one day here.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I don't see any other plausible explanation.

I gave you another perfectly plausible one.

But you're saying it's legal for the business to reveal information on Steve's health? I'm pretty sure that's covered by the same law. As far as I can tell, Steve doesn't even have to reveal anything his condition to the company if he doesn't want to. If he's legally required by the SEC to report that he's going for surgery, then it's an almost completely unenforced requirement, at least, I've never heard of it being enforced.

Share holders can ask questions, but if that's all they are doing, then they aren't going as far as their rights are to demand it if they aren't pushing a petition for a vote on the subject.

I said no such thing. Again, reading what I've already written on this subject should make my views clear. If you have questions about what I've said, then fine, ask them -- but constant repetition should not be required.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Here's an idea for the App Store:

An App that is connected to an heart monitor strapped to Steve's chest. That way wecan be sure if he died or not the next time a rumor like this is started. :apple:

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
The S.E.C. is investigating this seriously as a possible case of stock manipulaiton.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._false_report_on_steve_jobs_heart_attack.html

:eek:

Thank God !!!! I'm sick and tired of this type of illegal, fraudulent manipulation of the markets !
Arrest the bastard and post the video of his arrest all over the news, so that everyone knows that
this is what will happen to them if they start fraudulent rumors in an attempt to manipulate financial markets!

gilbert1020

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
California
I seriously believe that the day
Steve Jobs leaves Apple, The Company will
go into a frenzy trying to convince its customers and stockholders
that Apple will still be the same..

alexdarby

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Charlotte
That would be terrible if something like that were to happen. Although, it will be interesting to find out if it was a hoax to manipulate stock....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.