PDA

View Full Version : Protools 8

Drumjim85
Oct 3, 2008, 12:35 PM
Well Protools 8 just got announced at AES. And it seems to be a really big update.

check it out. (http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=399&ref=pt8-hpf)

xparaparafreakx
Oct 3, 2008, 02:53 PM
Catching up to Logic I see.

junior
Oct 3, 2008, 03:14 PM
Catching up to Logic I see.

:rolleyes:

Loge
Oct 3, 2008, 03:39 PM
Looks like they've improved the Sibelius integration in the score editor (not surprising I guess given the ownership), so you can now export a Sibelius score instead of a midi file.

I should say I don't use Pro Tools :p, but I use Sibelius every day and so I'm interested in how this works out in practice.

joe.cavers
Oct 6, 2008, 03:18 AM
I'm a Pro Tools user and this has me extremely excited. The new MIDI additions are exactly the kinda thing I need for Uni. Very very excited about this update.

JC

Mr Skills
Oct 6, 2008, 06:49 PM
:rolleyes:

As a heavy user of both Logic and Pro Tools I think they can both do with catching up to eachother in different ways.

cschreppel
Oct 6, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'm pretty excited for the doubling of inserts per track, increased track counts, etc. But mostly, I'm really happy with the new UI. Definitely going to make the long sessions a little easier on the eyes.

I was watching an interview with a PT8 product manager and he's been very vocal about Auto-Delay Compensation coming for LE eventually. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm glad to see that Digi is finally opening up a bit to its end users.

zimv20
Oct 6, 2008, 10:45 PM
I was watching an interview with a PT8 product manager and he's been very vocal about Auto-Delay Compensation coming for LE eventually.

was it this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyvQx_Viwuc)?

cschreppel
Oct 7, 2008, 10:46 AM
was it this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyvQx_Viwuc)?

Yes.

UgLy KoeRner
Oct 19, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hello everyone, my question about pro tools 8 here is that, if I am going to purchase the M-box pro that I want to get soon with my new MBP 4 gig of ram, Can I also purchase this upgrade of pro tools 8 and it will work with what I am purchaseing?

junior
Oct 19, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hello everyone, my question about pro tools 8 here is that, if I am going to purchase the M-box pro that I want to get soon with my new MBP 4 gig of ram, Can I also purchase this upgrade of pro tools 8 and it will work with what I am purchaseing?

I'm pretty sure they'll be offering you a free upgrade if you purchase their product now.

cschreppel
Oct 19, 2008, 10:55 AM
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&itemid=23954&langid=1

Cromulent
Oct 19, 2008, 05:15 PM
Wonder if they have actually managed to write it in a way that means you don't need to keep your system a few updates behind just in order to use it. I doubt it.

kucukbasak
Oct 21, 2008, 02:21 PM
what's the best source to use to learn about PT??? from beginner's to professionals? kind of like the best tutorial?

longofest
Oct 22, 2008, 08:47 AM
Good to see Digidesign actually putting effort out. I still think Digital Performer is superior. Can't stand how proprietary ProTools is. It causes a lot of headaches.

junior
Oct 22, 2008, 01:04 PM
Good to see Digidesign actually putting effort out. I still think Digital Performer is superior. Can't stand how proprietary ProTools is. It causes a lot of headaches.

I'd have thought that like Apple, having proprietary aspects to a product model would give less headaches (It accepts plenty of i/o BTW if you need it: Lavry, Prism, Apogee, Lynx, DAD, etc).

Although it's a very simpleton view and a huge generalization, lots of people say the same thing about PTHD as they do Macs. 'It just works'.

Cromulent
Oct 22, 2008, 11:42 PM
Although it's a very simpleton view and a huge generalization, lots of people say the same thing about PTHD as they do Macs. 'It just works'.

Not if you keep your computer software up to date or like to have the latest OS security patches.

Just do a search on the number of Pro Tools users who ask for help on reverting to an earlier version of OS X or Quicktime because Pro Tools is written in such a poor manner as to be so easily broken.

Drumjim85
Nov 22, 2008, 01:26 AM
the rumors are now that this will be out on Dec 5th.

Drumjim85
Dec 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
Protools 8 is now shipping ... :D

mcpryon2
Dec 17, 2008, 08:25 PM
Did they mention anything about Pro Tools working with Avid Media Composer...finally?

I like how Avid is at war with everybody, even the people in the same building.

Drumjim85
Dec 18, 2008, 02:45 PM
with an install file size of around 8gb, Digi wasn't anywhere near ready for the traffic they'd receive today.

GregBoccuti
Dec 22, 2008, 10:59 PM
Digi will never catch up with other software until it allows its users to use non-digi interfaces. Yes, Digi does have a large and loyal group of users out there. But just because Digi is the popular and best known name in the DAW world, doesn't mean it is the best software. Lest we forget some of the major flaws (i.e. only being able to bounce in real time, hardware limitations, etc.)

junior
Dec 23, 2008, 07:03 AM
Digi will never catch up with other software until it allows its users to use non-digi interfaces. Yes, Digi does have a large and loyal group of users out there. But just because Digi is the popular and best known name in the DAW world, doesn't mean it is the best software. Lest we forget some of the major flaws (i.e. only being able to bounce in real time, hardware limitations, etc.)

In the studio, real time bouncing isn't a flaw at all for many reasons. Hardware limitation? You can use Apogee, Lynx, Lavry, Burl, Prism, Crane Song, stock 192, 96i/o, etc.
So what have they got to catch up on?

GregBoccuti
Dec 23, 2008, 09:16 AM
I guess I should have specified.

I'm primarily a remote engineer. The company that I work for does medium to large scale remote classical and jazz concert recordings. Realtime bouncing 5 hours of hard data is awful.

I'm also not saying that Digi doesn't have its place. I use it just as much as I use Logic. All I'm saying is that I wish that people in general would be less narrow minded when it comes to thinking about DAWs

Drumjim85
Dec 23, 2008, 12:10 PM

I've had some huge files in nuendo, and the time it took to render the files down was a LOT longer than the actual play time...
now, this isn't an excuse for Digi, i think they should offer a non-real time render as well as real time. But they haven't yet.
Their excuse: "it's so you can use external hardware" (reverb units and such)

junior
Dec 23, 2008, 12:57 PM
I've had some huge files in nuendo, and the time it took to render the files down was a LOT longer than the actual play time...
now, this isn't an excuse for Digi, i think they should offer a non-real time render as well as real time. But they haven't yet.
Their excuse: "it's so you can use external hardware" (reverb units and such)

Actually I think their reasoning is that the DAE architecture doesn't allow offline bouncing, as opposed to other DAWs that (in a mac) use the same technology where it's simple enough to allow offline bouncing.
Now I'm no technology wiz so I really don't know whether that really is the truth or not but I really can't see any other reason for them not to have implemented this function years ago if it was a simple case of adding some code.

GregBoccuti, yeah your situation sounds like a tough one. But on the positive side you get paid for those 5 extra hours of printing, right?

GregBoccuti
Dec 29, 2008, 12:15 PM
No. Its not a big deal. I usually just let it bounce over night and then send the hard data to the mastering engineer. Its more of an annoyance then anything.

WinterMute
Dec 29, 2008, 06:34 PM
Protools lack of offline bouncing is based in their use of real-time processing for effects, the LE RTAS (Real Time Audio Suite) plug-ins are very powerful, as are the HD TDM effects, but they are rendered in real time, and cannot be bounced offline.

The external outboard kit is a similar case, but it's not exclusively the reason.

james-thescalie
Jan 2, 2009, 07:50 AM
dont know if this has already been mentioned but it looks alot nicer!!! no more staring at grey-ness all day at college aha

tuneup
Jan 23, 2009, 02:36 PM
God my eyes were killing me. Thank you Digi!

inspirit
Mar 26, 2009, 12:52 PM
hi, should I seperate the prgm from the files or should all be on the startup drive? If a seperate drive is recommended, which drives work best with Protools?

Drumjim85
Mar 26, 2009, 12:54 PM
hi, should I seperate the prgm from the files or should all be on the startup drive? If a seperate drive is recommended, which drives work best with Protools?

If you backup your drive regularly you don't really need a separate drive. But the faster the drive and connection, the happier PT will be.

pkoch1
Mar 28, 2009, 12:15 AM
If you backup your drive regularly you don't really need a separate drive. But the faster the drive and connection, the happier PT will be.

Well, in a perfect scenario, you'd want to record to a separate drive than your startup disk. It will increase performance as it won't have to do any system work on your recording drive.