Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I was getting ready to buy some memory for my flatscreen iMac and read this in the installation instructions:

'Turn your computer off by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu. Unplug all cables, except the power cord, from your computer.'

Is this right? Does it mean unplug from wall, but leave the cord in the computer back? Does it mean leave plugged into wall?

Later it says to unplug the cord from the computer but only after you unscrew the bottom of the computer and touch metal. Sorry, but this goes against everything I have ever known about electronics...unplug first, then unscrew!

Help please.:confused:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
In 8 Years of Working on PCs, not to mention the countless number of time in Primary/Intermediate School, It always was, Ground First, unplug second, unless you had a static wrist band (Which I have never used). In fact, most of the work I've done on my PCs I've done with them plugged in, except the ones with "remote" powersupplies, I don't trust a switch that doesn't power up a machine.

TEG

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I have been working on computers for 20 years. I use a wrist strap whenever possible. I sometimes come across electrical outlets that are not properly grounded. In that case leaving the unit plugged in doesn't help very much to prevent electrostatic discharge. I have also done a lot of work in buildings that lack grounded outlets. In Japan I often used latex gloves when grounding wasn't possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.