PDA

View Full Version : MacSlash Domain

arn
May 30, 2002, 08:36 AM
From MacSlash.com

You have probably noticed by now that the URL www.macslash.com now points to a generic Dotster page. We are attempting to get in touch with Dotster, but they have been unable or unwilling to reply. We are not certain at this time whether the situation is malicious or not (i.e., squatting), but without word from Dotster, we have nothing else to go on. If the domain has not been stolen, then it has been registered in bad faith. We're an established business and media presence, and anyone who registered it, no matter how innocently, is a squatter.

In the interim, we have registered www.macslash.net, and are hoping that will be up by tomorrow or Friday. We would like to thank Charlie Ruggiero and John Painter, who are helping to set up alternative domains (macslash.org and macslash.info, respectively).

For more information and updates, please email us at macslash@earthlink.net or call Ben Stanfield, Executive Editor, 270-881-0680. Thanks to everyone who has contacted us already.

We are hoping to have this issue resolved ASAP. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
The MacSlash crew

Rocketman
May 30, 2002, 08:45 AM
I had two domains squatted. I registered them through a service and instead of having my domain registered to me as the form stated, and billed to me, they registered the domains themselves and later offered to sell them back to me for "costs" in this case about $370 each less than 2 months later. The original offer was a fee slightly reduced from network solutions prices. I did not know how to respond or resolve it since domains seem to have no clear oversight authority except for nameing conventions. If there is someone with authority to correct this sort of fraud, post it.

Rocketman

pwfletcher
May 30, 2002, 09:50 AM
I have contacted Ben Stanfield of macslash.com and have offered to help him recover his domain name free of charge for all of the good information that he has provided. We should be able to get him back up and running fairly soon.

Patrick Fletcher
Fletcher & Associates
http://www.internetdisputes.org

Hemingray
May 30, 2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Rocketman
If there is someone with authority to correct this sort of fraud, post it.

I dunno what you consider authority, but go have a look at www.fraud.org and report them (if they're a business) to www.bbb.org . You can also contact the FBI on matters of financial crimes (including fraud).

britboy
May 30, 2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by pwfletcher
I have contacted Ben Stanfield of macslash.com and have offered to help him recover his domain name free of charge for all of the good information that he has provided. We should be able to get him back up and running fairly soon.

Patrick Fletcher
Fletcher & Associates

That's very generous of you. Good luck.

andcarne
May 30, 2002, 10:26 AM
Whois says it is registered to:

Vicente Peiro Crespo
Chiva , 23 , 27
Valencia, Valencia 46018
ES

Administrative Contact:
Peiro Crespo, Vicente merc-net@merc-net.com
Chiva , 23 , 27
Valencia, Valencia 46018
ES
34-963847753

Technical Contact:
Peiro Crespo, Vicente merc-net@merc-net.com
Chiva , 23 , 27
Valencia, Valencia 46018
ES
34-963847753

Created on: 28-MAY-02
Expires on: 28-MAY-03
Last Updated on: 28-MAY-02

Grokgod
May 30, 2002, 10:56 AM
~ Pwfletcher. I commend and applaud your action taken to help.
Get those men and right the wrong. We are all behind you in this, I am sure.
Good Luck, I am certain we will all be lookign forward to hearing its outcome!

pimentoLoaf
May 30, 2002, 11:36 AM
For more tools to find out about the situation, run on over to Phaster.Com (http://www.phaster.com/find_info_net_traffic.html).

foofan
May 30, 2002, 12:35 PM
if that name is so important, then you should have registered it a long time ago. I'm tired about hearing people moan & groan because they were too stupid to register it in the first place or upset because someone beat them too it. Next time you start a business, why don't you register the domain before you announce what your company or product will be called.

toby
May 30, 2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by foofan
if that name is so important, then you should have registered it a long time ago. I'm tired about hearing people moan & groan because they were too stupid to register it in the first place or upset because someone beat them too it. Next time you start a business, why don't you register the domain before you announce what your company or product will be called.

foofan I gues you have no clue what Macslash.com is. They have been up and running for ages using www.macslash.com and someone comes along and hijacks it. Try getting informed before you open your mouth and make an ass of yourself next time.

serpicolugnut
May 30, 2002, 12:46 PM
He did have it registered! Haven't you ever seen the MacSlash website? It's been around for a couple of years!

Before you go spouting off like an idiot, make sure you have the facts straight!

esome
May 30, 2002, 12:48 PM
hahahahahaha...

9 times out of ten this sort of thing is the result of someone not properly registering, or failing to pay their bill, or something like that. we'll see.

psxndc
May 30, 2002, 12:48 PM
Foofan, ****. It _was_ registered to them. You never would have been able to go to macslash.com if it wasn't.

The people that have it now probably had the registration queued so that as soon as it lapsed it became theirs. Regardless of how they did it, it's still in bad faith. Microsoft had the same thing happen to them, they were just lucky that the guy that had queued it was a big MS fan and was trying to prevent something like what happened to MacSlash from happening to MS.

Should the guys at Macslash been more vigilant about domain expiration (if that was indeed the case)? Yes, but your rant still shows you have no concept of the registration process. Do everyone a favor and keep quiet about things you don't understand.

psxndc

psxndc
May 30, 2002, 12:50 PM
Congrats foofan, it looks like you got two people (me and toby) to sign up just to flame your @$$.

foofan
May 30, 2002, 01:12 PM
if they lost their domain because they forgot to reregister it or forgot to pay their bill, then they have only themselves to blame. Only an idiot would forget to pay their bill on the most important part of their website.

Remember this!
YOU SNOOZE, YOU LOSE!!!!

andcarne
May 30, 2002, 01:48 PM
Please tell me, foofan, How they are supposed to retain their domain, if some other idiot was in the registration queue after them.

toby
May 30, 2002, 02:12 PM
Yes the old "You snooze, you lose" rule. I beleive the legal defense term is "Tibi somnus, tibi zamia."

Are you still in grade school foofan? Try pulling that stunt with any company and see how far it gets you. You painted yourself into a corner and instead of admitting you made a mistake you are just being a dumbass.

BobVB
May 30, 2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by esome
hahahahahaha...

9 times out of ten this sort of thing is the result of someone not properly registering, or failing to pay their bill, or something like that. we'll see.

hardly - the problem is you assume the person you've registered it through has done their job.

I have a site I've paid the registration for years in advance but about 2 months ago it just stopped working. THEY had forgotten to renew it. Fortunately no one was looking to steal it, so they were able to 're-register' it and I have it back now.

I mean, why would anyone not have their site paid out a couple years ahead just to be sure it never goes away? The cost is insignificant compared with the potential hassle.

robbyd
May 30, 2002, 03:14 PM
i bet foofans next quote will be "finder's keepers loser's weepers" what a freaking moron

me hate windows
May 30, 2002, 03:48 PM
It seems to work now.

(edit: yay, my 250th post, halfway to a 'tar:) )

foofan
May 30, 2002, 03:59 PM
Yawn....

pimentoLoaf
May 30, 2002, 04:45 PM
Interesting...

I can still get MacSlash on my home computer. I looked around noontime CDT and just a few moments ago.

But three hours ago at a cable-net access sales kiosk at a local mall, they had the Dotster page up.

So... some can still reach it, while some can't.

Why is this?

Ricky
May 30, 2002, 06:24 PM
Here's "Christine" at Dotster Customer Support had to say: "The previous owner of the domain allowed it to expire, so it was able to be registered anew by the new owner through the Namewinner service (www.namewinner.com). It is not illegal to register expired domains, and the new owner should be contacted if the original owner wants to get the domain back."

The "Namewinner" service is their own, of course.

By early evening EST the Macslash.com site was off the air totally and the csupport@dotster.com address that worked earlier was bouncing messages. Interesting. I would guess that they heard from a few pissed off people.

Ringwraith
May 30, 2002, 06:26 PM
Hmm... I do not know if this is related or not, but I am sure someone will tell me.

mactheknife.com also takes you to a dotster page. Maybe it all one big consipiracy funded by Bill Gates to get rid of all Mac-centric websites so he can pretend that Apple doesn't exist. After all, if it's not on the web, it's not there, right? :rolleyes:

And, in my own defense, I wil say that I have not been to mactheknife in a long time, so it might have gone dead months ago, and I am simply unaware. I just find it interesting that both seem to lead to dotster. Hmm...

marco114
May 30, 2002, 08:58 PM
when I go to MacSlash.com it brings up MacMall's site...!!! something is screwy here!

marco

menoinjun
May 30, 2002, 09:09 PM
I can't seem to get anything at all from Macslash.com.

Interesting...what about everyone else?

-Pete

Billicus
May 30, 2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ptrauber
I can't seem to get anything at all from Macslash.com.

Interesting...what about everyone else?

-Pete

Ditto. I don't get anything - Server not found. :rolleyes:

So lets sum everything up: People get nothing, macmall, and some even get Dotster for crying out loud! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pimentoLoaf
May 30, 2002, 09:29 PM
It's 2128 CDT and I can still raise MacSlash via Earthlink dialup in the upper midwest.

Curiouser and curiouser... :confused:

ajhubble
May 30, 2002, 10:50 PM
IE says: HTTP 403 (Forbidden)

Rower_CPU
May 30, 2002, 11:09 PM
IE 5.1 - Server cannot be found

Hijacking DNS names is such crap!

pimentoLoaf
May 30, 2002, 11:17 PM
If you leave off the "www" for MacSlash.Com, you'll find a company many of you may have bought things from...

BobtheTomato
May 30, 2002, 11:25 PM
Here's another email address for the jerks namewinner@dotster.com

suzerain
May 30, 2002, 11:41 PM
...ok, i'll be the only one here with an unpopular opinion.

Excuse me, but didn't the MacSlash guys let the domain 'lapse'? Isn't that their fault?

Sure, it's crappy to swoop in and take it, but hell, you can pay for domains ten years in advance; there's really no excuse for not keeping the registration current. Seems like they have to bear some of the responsibility for allowing their domain to be "stolen".

OK, go ahead and flame me.

davester
May 31, 2002, 12:06 AM
I seem to recall there being a www.macosxtips.com website at some stage. I just went there as I was work and well, had nothing better to do than to surf around abit:D , and found that this website has also been hijacked by dotster.

Bastards!:mad:

kcmac
May 31, 2002, 12:31 AM
go to this address
http://www.nwforum.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=523
and let the fun begin.:D

kcmac
May 31, 2002, 12:39 AM
oops.
double post

digitalgiant
May 31, 2002, 12:55 AM
Well,,, Its is pretty shady for somthing like that to happen. But you gotz to pay da bills. Yep yep. But if their registartion service screwed the pooch, then would they not have some sort of legal action they could take? I guess you would have to weigh the costs of legal vs buying the name back. Hmmm,, cant wait to see how this turns out:rolleyes:

Wry Cooter
May 31, 2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
If you leave off the "www" for MacSlash.Com, you'll find a company many of you may have bought things from...

If you are talking about MacMall, no it can go there with the www intact.
my DNS server is rerouting to http://www.merc-net.com/md/macslash.htm
and this brings up MacMall.

Actually it brings up an url suggesting it is part of an ad campaign, which means the squatters sold them a redirect as if it was a banner ad or something, rather than MacMall themselves being the domain thieves. But you might want to let MacMall know you are not interested in such advertising practices and they should redirect their promotional funds elsewhere, if they are indeed innocent.

pimentoLoaf
May 31, 2002, 11:53 AM
Well, now the full www version redirects, eventually, to MacMall.

(Personally, I buy stuff from MacZone.)

gopher
May 31, 2002, 12:48 PM
After all, Macmall installed the wrong RAM in many people's new iMac. I only purchased one item from Macmall, and the company that made it went out of business. Voicepowerpro.

This kind of domain squandaring, which Macmall has done, and yes I get redirected to the full Macmall site after first being directed to a page with nothing but the word Mac in it, is totally
out of character. Let's all call Macmall and tell them to give back Macslash to the rightfull holders of the domain. Perhaps if we overload their phonelines they will listen.

Wry Cooter
May 31, 2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by gopher
Let's all call Macmall and tell them to give back Macslash to the rightfull holders of the domain. Perhaps if we overload their phonelines they will listen.

Keep in mind it may not necessarily be their fault DIRECTLY, perhaps merely that they have bought ad placement from some sleazy operators, as if it were banner click re-direct. Its still okay to let them know that you do not agree with what has happened.

The Bender
May 31, 2002, 03:08 PM
Well, right now, (20:00 GMT) I'm getting Macslash.com going exactly where it should. Mind you, here in Israel, we don't do as the US tells us!:D

Wry Cooter
May 31, 2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by The Bender
Well, right now, (20:00 GMT) I'm getting Macslash.com going exactly where it should. Mind you, here in Israel, we don't do as the US tells us!:D

In the US it brings up a page that says Visit Macslash.org. You link on this and the Address bar still reads www.macslash.com.

Wonder exactly what happened to get the MacMall ad out of there, and a link to MacSlash.org placed in the placekeeper page?

Also, I find it slightly fishy that MacSlash.org make no mention of the MacMall redirect themselves-- they want to place most of the blame on Apples Mail filtering (Dotster, those contracted with contacting MacSlash about the lease about to expire, apparently being blocked by Apple for spamming)

I smell a New Coke conspiracy afoot....

ajhubble
Jun 6, 2002, 07:09 AM
www.macslash.com is back (just in case nobody noticed)...

jamesbhai
Jun 6, 2002, 09:39 AM
was the domain hijacked? did macslash let it run out? i want answers, i want the truth!

pwfletcher
Jun 6, 2002, 02:00 PM
It does not matter if the domain name registration was allowed to lapse, if someone stole it, or someone registers a domain name "confusingly similar" similar to yours. If you have obtained common law trademark rights in the name and a cybersquatter registers it in "bad faith" you can usually recover it under the ACPA. We recovered another one yesterday:

http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/109757.htm

The bottom line is that macslash.com has developed brand recognition with its name and has the right to prevent others from trading on that brand recognition. The ultimate goal here is to protect the consumers.

Patrick W. Fletcher

Wry Cooter
Jun 6, 2002, 05:32 PM
Unfortunately, the domain I wanted to register over five or seven years ago has ALWAYS been squatted. And it has never linked to anything except occasionally a "Want to buy this Domain name?"

There was never common law rights of ownership attached to the name...merely cybersquatting. I haven't kept up with any tools that would alert me if its ownership lapsed, but I would like to take advantage of them if I knew of them.

arn
Jun 6, 2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by jamesbhai
was the domain hijacked? did macslash let it run out? i want answers, i want the truth!

Final word....

MacSlash let their domain name expire... but the reason was their email account (mac.com) filtered the renewal notices as spam.

arn

digitalgiant
Jun 6, 2002, 08:29 PM
So, they let the light go out without trying to pay the bill? Well BOO-HOO. Email filltered the renewal as spam,,, so what? I dont feel bad for these guys at all. This is just one more reason that real paper will never go out of style. Get a wall calender and a pen. Flame me if you want, but we dont feel bad for the guy next door when his light go out due to non-payment of the bills.