PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Security Update 2004-01-26

MacRumors
Jan 26, 2004, 03:43 PM
Apple released a Security Update for Mac OS X today:

Security Update 2004-01-26 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following components: Apache 1.3, Classic, Mail, Safari, Windows File Sharing

Additionally, Security Update 2003-12-19 has been incorporated into this security update. Those components are: AFP Server, ASN.1 Decoding for PKI, cd9660.util, Directory Services, fetchmail, fs_usage, rsync, System Initialization

Gymnut
Jan 26, 2004, 03:44 PM
Will download when I get home!

coumerelli
Jan 26, 2004, 03:44 PM
this looks like a pretty big one. I think I'll wait to see what success others have with it first. A lot could go wrong I would think.

onemoof
Jan 26, 2004, 03:45 PM
Is this for Panther, Jaguar, or both?

furthur
Jan 26, 2004, 03:46 PM
God, I'd love to install this on a G5 iMac!!!

yoman
Jan 26, 2004, 03:47 PM
i wonder if this was all the hype was about. A 7.8Mb security update.

backspinner
Jan 26, 2004, 03:49 PM
Nice birthday present! :confused:

charleswhalley
Jan 26, 2004, 03:51 PM
I'll give this a miss for at least a week after what the last security update did to our Xserve.:mad:

supercres
Jan 26, 2004, 03:52 PM
Happy birthday, Macintosh... :rolleyes:

MattG
Jan 26, 2004, 03:53 PM
Downloading now--let's hope nothing blows up!!

Swinny
Jan 26, 2004, 03:53 PM
Years of being more secure than PCs and Apple let us celebrate the Mac's 20th Birthday with a security update?!

...how ironic.

sethypoo
Jan 26, 2004, 03:55 PM
Neat, downloading over my University's fast wireless internet connection now.

Gotta love ThinkSecret, they predicted this very accurately.

:rolleyes: :p

carnacious
Maybe it'll give us all at 20% speed improvement.
Now that would be a birthday present!

choogheem
Well lets at least hope this security update isn't like the 10.2.8 update. Boy was that ever fun.

hob
Jan 26, 2004, 03:58 PM
can't help but notice noones posted a success yet... ah well, let's install away! I'm especially interested in Windows File Sharing update... maybe it'll fix stuff for me!!

Hob

virividox
Jan 26, 2004, 03:59 PM
yahoooo its now updated heheheh i dunno if ill ever really see the benifit of all these updates, but its nice to feel safe hehe

beg_ne
Jan 26, 2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by hob
can't help but notice noones posted a success yet... ah well, let's install away! I'm especially interested in Windows File Sharing update... maybe it'll fix stuff for me!!

Hob

Installed it and so far so good. Of course all i've done so far is open up Safari and come here and open up Mail.

ComputerWizard
Jan 26, 2004, 04:13 PM
Installed, and everything is fine so far. I wonder if this fixes the startup problem from the 10.3.2 update?

beg_ne
Jan 26, 2004, 04:17 PM
On a side note it seems the Magnifying glass color picker seems to be working for me now. As far as I can recall since 10.3 it hasn't worked at all for me and would only return white no matter what it was over, but now its picking up colors correctly.

Did anyone else have the same problem and was it intermittent or was I just unlucky everytime i tried to use the color picker before?

crees!
Jan 26, 2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Swinny
Years of being more secure than PCs and Apple let us celebrate the Mac's 20th Birthday with a security update?!

...how ironic.

Wait for tomorrow and stop being so greedy ;)

Stella
Jan 26, 2004, 04:19 PM
Probably not, since this is a *Security* Update... and since the Start up problem isn't a security issue.. you'll have to wait until 10.3.3

Originally posted by ComputerWizard
Installed, and everything is fine so far. I wonder if this fixes the startup problem from the 10.3.2 update?

Photorun
Jan 26, 2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by crees!
Wait for tomorrow and stop being so greedy ;)
What? Hey, you holding out on us Crees?

tfr
Jan 26, 2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Stella
Probably not, since this is a *Security* Update... and since the Start up problem isn't a security issue.. you'll have to wait until 10.3.3
Don't put your money on it. Looks like Apple just calls it a "Security Update" while it's an update in general. Reading the first post carefully you'll see:
Additionally, Security Update 2003-12-19 has been incorporated into this security update. Those components are: AFP Server, ASN.1 Decoding for PKI, cd9660.util, Directory Services, fetchmail, fs_usage, rsync, System Initialization
I would say the System Initialization update is to fix the startup problem (though I'm not 100% sure since I didn't have it).

And for those who complain about the size - probably the biggest portion of it is the new Safari v1.1.1, which seems to have made some great improvement, according to Hyatt's Surfin' Safari blog.

johnpaul191
Jan 26, 2004, 04:24 PM
is it 10.3.2 specific?
i am not running 10.3.2 on my G4 because i tried it 4 or 5 times and every time it crapped out on me.... i even went as far as installing a totally clean 10.3.0 on a brand new hard drive and updating to 10.3.2 and it just goes bonkers..... after a few hours to a day.

anyway that's another issue, but i guess as a 10.3.1 person i don't need the security update? maybe it will fix my other issues, but i should wait till i have time to reinstall 10.3.0 and then update to 10.3.1 before is crew around. argh

ComputerWizard
Jan 26, 2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Stella

Oh well, I hope they come out with it soon.

varmit
I hit update, but it seems that I am fully updated. 10.3 on a iBook. Don't know if there is too many people updating right now or what.

EDIT: there it is, guess it didn't come up the first time.

PDubNYC
I installed it, rebooted and everything is fine. For the hell of it, I check Software Update, and there it is again, like I never installed it the first time. About to try and run it again to see if it knows it's been done before.

PalmHarborTchr
Jan 26, 2004, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if they could
speak in plain English about this
security update. I think I will pass
on it until I can get some clarity
on what the hell it is and why
I need it.

idkew
Jan 26, 2004, 04:29 PM
no problems here.

rockman2023
Jan 26, 2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by varmit
I hit update, but it seems that I am fully updated. 10.3 on a iBook. Don't know if there is too many people updating right now or what.

I havent installed yet, but my Software Update is kinda screwy too. If I choose "Software Update..." from the Apple menu, nothing shows up in the list after it checks for new software. But if I go to System Preferences, and click the "Check Now" button, the updates show in the list.

Think it's a bug??

Macmaniac
Jan 26, 2004, 04:34 PM
No problems here.

greg6028
Jan 26, 2004, 04:37 PM
This update is not going to mess with my Autofills in Safari is it?
The last Security Updates made my autofill stop working!!!

1macker1
Jan 26, 2004, 04:37 PM
Well my UpTime Meter reached an all time high (33 days) before this update. I hope i dont have any of the 10.2.8 problems.

Swinny
Jan 26, 2004, 04:38 PM
Seems fine on my iBook and iMac.

PDubNYC
Jan 26, 2004, 04:39 PM
I installed it, rebooted and everything is fine. For the hell of it, I check Software Update, and there it is again, like I never installed it the first time. About to try and run it again to see if it knows it's been done before

It did it again. Everything seems to work fine, other than that.

garybooberry
Jan 26, 2004, 04:43 PM
Fixes the BS problems with Mail, I'll download it. :)

Wonder Boy
Jan 26, 2004, 04:49 PM
finally!!!!! ive been waiting for this since macworld sf!

Some_Big_Spoon
Jan 26, 2004, 04:52 PM
Seems that the security update is 10.3.2 specific as it's not coming up for anyone I know who's still on 10.3.1, including myself (due to the ridiculous fan, and start up issues on the RevA 12"PB)

I suppose we'll have to wait till 10.3.3, if that fixes what 10.3.2 broke. :(

El Tritoma
Jan 26, 2004, 04:52 PM
Seems to be just fine on my TiBook.

cleduc
Jan 26, 2004, 04:53 PM
I dunno what i'm doing wrong...

Since i downloaded it:

No one of these Apps works!!!

- Classic
- Safari
- Mail

Preference files could not be found and recreated if missing (-394821)

When clicking on network to dynamically see networks, it redirects me to my own disk or says alias broken.

Also, on start my mac gets stuck and locks sometimes on "Loading Web-Server" (german translation)

Isn't it a coincidence that these are exactly the apps updated?

cleduc
Jan 26, 2004, 04:55 PM
Oops...

just did a repair of the rights....

everything ok now.

If anyone has a problem with it, just post it. Thanks

joker2
Jan 26, 2004, 04:57 PM
Everyone must be downloading it...
Last attempt: Server unavailable. Try again later.
Today at 05:55 PM

Edit: Finally got it.

evilbert420
Jan 26, 2004, 05:04 PM
I hope this fixes my hang-after-resuming-from-Sleep problems.

grawk
Jan 26, 2004, 05:06 PM
I installed this update, and my data in my home directory is gone, and apparently my filevault is gone. Argh!

Sabenth
Jan 26, 2004, 05:07 PM
ill update in a week give it some time to settle happy birthday apple :D

performand
Jan 26, 2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by tfr
And for those who complain about the size - probably the biggest portion of it is the new Safari v1.1.1, which seems to have made some great improvement, according to Hyatt's Surfin' Safari blog.

new Safari?????

My Safari is still 1.1 (v. 100.1) as it was before this update.

dr_lha
Jan 26, 2004, 05:12 PM
So what exactly does this update in Safari and Mail? I just installed the update and the versions numbers of both items haven't changed. Someone earlier posted about "The new Safari 1.1.1" but I've had 1.1.1 for a while now before this update.

I see alot of updates in /usr/bin to stuff like ssh so I know it's installed OK. Is it that it brings Safari 1.1.1 to Jaguar now?

youngr40
Jan 26, 2004, 05:17 PM
Hello All

I have just installed the lastest security update and now noticed that if you navigate to home folder of a user that has filevault setup, you are prompted to enter a password to open a diskimage that contains the home folder. Entering the correct password will mount a diskimageo n your desktop

I never had this before must be to do with the security update

kcmac
Jan 26, 2004, 05:25 PM
Rockman,

I have noticed the same thing. If I use the Apple menu to do software update, it will say that I have new software to download but nothing shows up in the box below.

If I quit updater and reopen it in the Apple menu, it will work.

If I use the software update icon from the System Preferences, it works the first time.

I sent Apple a bug notice early on about this. Please do the same.

blueBomber
Jan 26, 2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by kcmac
Rockman,

I have noticed the same thing. If I use the Apple menu to do software update, it will say that I have new software to download but nothing shows up in the box below.

If I use the software update icon from the System Preferences, it works the first time.

I also have this problem sometimes. I find that if I close every application before I use software update (from the Apple menu), it will usually work properly. This also leads me to believe it is a bug.

joker2
Jan 26, 2004, 05:29 PM
Got it, updated, everything seems fine. It doesn't show up in my software update again (either method), and nothing seems "drastically" changed. Files noted above in other posters' text are noted updated, but no change in functionality.

---
12" 1GHz Powerbook, 768 MB RAM

jope
Jan 26, 2004, 05:57 PM
After update is installed, it still shows up in the Software Update list. :mad:

mxpiazza
Jan 26, 2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by kcmac
Rockman,

yep yep, same problem here. odd.

mxpiazza
Jan 26, 2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by shadow95
Got it, updated, everything seems fine. It doesn't show up in my software update again (either method), and nothing seems "drastically" changed. Files noted above in other posters' text are noted updated, but no change in functionality.

---
12" 1GHz Powerbook, 768 MB RAM
same result here, same exact computer and ram setup. gotta love it.

vrapan
Jan 26, 2004, 07:03 PM
After the update - using it for about an hour now i dont have the beachball problem on safari. After 10.3.2 i had serious problem with the beachball i mean i could hardly open 3 - 4 tabs and averything on safari seemed to kick the beachball thingy. Now I have three safari windows with 5 tabs on each and no beachball. also mail seems a bit more responsive too

Almost a year old switcher and I am happy with apple updates. Not disturbingly often like MS and 95% improving things rather than causing trouble like the MS ones used to. Awesome stuff!!!

Maritan
Jan 26, 2004, 07:42 PM
PB 15" running 10.3.2 - Updated the system, no problems so far. Haven't noticed a significant improvement in anything... but I suspect that my boot up time was quicker than usual.

Will check it out tonight. Also, no problems with the patch showing up again on my Software Update window.

brooklyn
Jan 26, 2004, 08:13 PM
After the security update I ran software update again and I had an Airport 3.3 Software Update.

Trekkie
Jan 26, 2004, 08:15 PM
Did anyone else have it pop up airport software 3.3?

joker2
Jan 26, 2004, 08:25 PM
Yep, Airport Software 3.3 showed up after I checked this thread and knew to look for it. 8.5 MB, restarting now.

This software update provides improved AirPort wireless networking software, and is recommended for all users with an AirPort Extreme and AirPort enabled computer or an AirPort Extreme base station.

New AirPort Extreme Features

This software provides support for the Wi-Fi Protected AccessTM (WPA) specification for the AirPort Extreme base station and AirPort Extreme and AirPort clients. Please see AirPort Help for more information on WPA. Also included in this release is v5.3 of the AirPort Extreme base station firmware. Instructions for updating the base station firmware can also be found in AirPort Help.

The AirPort Extreme base station and AirPort Extreme client are Wi-Fi CertifiedTM for 802.11b and 802.11g interoperability.

Edit: Airport 3.3 Thread Here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57588)

neoelectronaut
Jan 26, 2004, 08:28 PM
I'd just like to note that before installing the update I uninstalled the Speedstart thingy. With the update, it maintained it's 30-second boot time, so indeed, this update fixes the long boot time issue.

jero
Jan 26, 2004, 09:27 PM
downloading it right now.

*crosses fingers*

Rasmuskl
Jan 26, 2004, 10:14 PM
Uhm so far i think i have been pretty fortunate with updates. Haven't had any problems. Until now. When ever i go to screensaver options in the pref menu the prefs crashes.

Everything else is fine though

Counterfit
Jan 26, 2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by PalmHarborTchr
Wouldn't it be nice if they could
speak in plain English about this
security update. I think I will pass
on it until I can get some clarity
on what the hell it is and why
I need it. Um, it seems pretty clear to me: "this update fixes stuff that was broken, you need it"

iLilana
Jan 27, 2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by MattG
Downloading now--let's hope nothing blows up!!

and now my combo drive doesn't work

nothing mounts, no eject, doesn't even spin.....

crap

prewwii
Jan 27, 2004, 01:54 AM
it's not showing up for me in 10.3.1

is it 10.3.2 specific?
i am not running 10.3.2 on my G4 because i tried it 4 or 5 times and every time it crapped out on me.... i even went as far as installing a totally clean 10.3.0 on a brand new hard drive and updating to 10.3.2 and it just goes bonkers..... after a few hours to a day.

anyway that's another issue, but i guess as a 10.3.1 person i don't need the security update? maybe it will fix my other issues, but i should wait till i have time to reinstall 10.3.0 and then update to 10.3.1 before is crew around. argh

I too have been having nothing but trouble with 10.3.x. I also have clean reloaded and reloaded 10.3, ran any diagnostic software I could find and still rarely get more than a day before either an app crashes or the whole system goes down. The ratio seems to be 2...3 app crashes to one system crash.

I can tell when a crash is coming because the system slows down. When that happens within another hour something is going to crash. DiskWarrior occassionally finds something. When it does find a problem and says it fixed it, running it again will sometimes find the same problem.

So when I read that someone else is having pretty much my same experience it verified to me that I am not experiencing some intermittent hardware failure. Also convincing is when I run off my other drive which has 10.2.6 and it never crashes.

Jim

MacBandit
Jan 27, 2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by iLilana
and now my combo drive doesn't work

nothing mounts, no eject, doesn't even spin.....

crap

Have you tried repairing disk permissions?

greg6028
Jan 27, 2004, 07:25 AM
I did not install the last Security Update in December because 'Autofill' in Safari stopped working. Does Autofill work now in this lastest update?

joker2
Jan 27, 2004, 07:32 AM
Autofill never stopped working for me, and I've done every incremental update, security patch, and application update that has been available.

Have you tried deleting the safari preferences and repairing permissions? (Granted, you would have to retrain Auto-fill for everything besides your addressbook card.)

choogheem
Jan 27, 2004, 09:04 AM
Ah, thank god it wasn't like the 10.2.8 update. :mad: (had to safe boot, archive system, reinstall 10.2 and then reinstall 10.2.4,.5,.6 and then wait until panther came out). With this security update, everything worked fine and startup seems to be improved also. Oh well, back to importing music - 5450 songs and counting.

applemacdude
Jan 27, 2004, 09:25 AM
w00t!!! security update...thanks apple for the great 20th aniversary gift.....
Booya airport software....all i ever wanted...

JJTiger1
Jan 27, 2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by vrapan
After the update - using it for about an hour now i dont have the beachball problem on safari. After 10.3.2 i had serious problem with the beachball i mean i could hardly open 3 - 4 tabs and averything on safari seemed to kick the beachball thingy. Now I have three safari windows with 5 tabs on each and no beachball. also mail seems a bit more responsive too

{snippage}

Awesome stuff!!!

Yep, spinning beachball gone. And this is before REPAIR PERMISSIONS !!!

I wonder how much better the computer will be AFTER REPAIR PERMISSIONS.

All of the extra hardware seems to be working okay.

Gonna REPAIR PERMISSIONS right now.
=-=
JJ

wdlove
Jan 27, 2004, 11:48 AM
I will have no idea what the Security update accomplishes. Just installed Panther & X for the first time on my G4. Did it yesterday with the help of a Genius. It was accomplished with the second set update installations.

uv23
Jan 27, 2004, 12:37 PM
Man, this has got to be the slowest update ever. All my other network conns are fast and fine, but the update from Apple is lagggiing. Anyone else find?

jero
Jan 27, 2004, 01:38 PM
things seemed fine last night after i downloaded it. im at work right now, and i hope that when i get home and awake my mac from sleep it dosent crap out on me.

*crosses fingers*

gola
Jan 27, 2004, 04:18 PM
After installing the security update and the airport update on my tibook 1gz I have been experiencing 3 random crashes during the day where everything stalls and a reboot is the only solution. Anyone else?

MacBandit
Jan 27, 2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by gola
After installing the security update and the airport update on my tibook 1gz I have been experiencing 3 random crashes during the day where everything stalls and a reboot is the only solution. Anyone else?

Haven't heard of that or had that problem on either of my computers. Have you repaired disk permissions? When I did I got a huge stream of repairs even though I repair quite frequently.

Golem
Jan 27, 2004, 06:49 PM
Massive problems. It seems a lot better since I repaired permissions but I still have some issues with cookies under safari and my cable modem has stopped working, possibly unrelated but it died as soon as I used ichat 10 minutes after installing and the modem itself and provider seem to be ok.

Plus some of the permisions themselves seem to have changed so I am forced to manually give myself read/write permissions to files i copied to my hd weeks ago.

Counterfit
Jan 27, 2004, 07:09 PM
My diagnosis: It's haunted, send your Mac to me ASAP. It will not be returned. It will be pressed into hard labor processing SETI@Home units and being a file bitch.

jimjiminyjim
Jan 27, 2004, 07:34 PM
My desktop now takes over 20 seconds to load. It's the mac blue screen of death (or at least slowing down and failing). I get the default background image, but my mess of icons don't appear... going to try a repair permissions.

jimjiminyjim
Jan 27, 2004, 07:46 PM
Yet I can watch each part separately. Desktop background.................... menu bar......................My name.................the time............... the keyboard menu.................... extra menu....................... another 23 seconds later............. my icons.....

Oh well. It loads i guess.

Molten Thinker
Jan 27, 2004, 08:43 PM
I was waiting patiently for something nice like a software update. [I am not getting a new computer for a while anyway.] I see software update pop up... and I see software update... wait; I misread; I see "security update". Well, I gladly installed it and celebrated with a bottle of coke as if I had a whole new OS right in there... Thats, Apple.

MacBandit
Jan 27, 2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by jimjiminyjim
Yet I can watch each part separately. Desktop background.................... menu bar......................My name.................the time............... the keyboard menu.................... extra menu....................... another 23 seconds later............. my icons.....

Oh well. It loads i guess.

Try this.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10491

Run it and see if that fixes your problems. The program performs OSX's 3 clean up tasks that would normally be performed at night if the machine was left on and not asleep. One task is performed monthly another is weekly and the last one is daily. This program allows you to run them manually which is a good thing since most people don't leave their machine on over night and not asleep.

Okay here's the next option download OnyX. Run the clear cache option with the system and user caches all selected. Don't worry about the Safari caches.

Try restarting and see if that helped. If not then reopen OnyX and go to the finder tab and under preferences chose Hidden files and preference files. Then click to delete.

These are suggestions I made recently in another thread to fix window views that wouldn't stick through restart. These suggestions in my opinion are the next step of things to do if repairing permissions doesn't work so learn them love them live them.:)

jero
Jan 27, 2004, 09:31 PM
everything checks out alright on my ibook.

*still crossing fingers*

toaster_oven
Jan 28, 2004, 08:01 AM
Hmmm.... this is odd- i get a message saying I don't have permission to write to:

"/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate"

i can't seem to find this folder (i can find it only under the terminal)... how do i change permissions on tmp?

i've successfully installed other updates a couple weeks ago...

i've also been having the same problems as jimjiminyjim with my ibook... i'm beginning to think my only solution is to erase my hard-drive and start over (i've backed up my hard-drive on an external drive- can i copy everything back again without having to reinstall all of my software?)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

-the toaster

Mac-Xpert
Jan 28, 2004, 08:30 AM
It won't update at all on my machine. It stops half-way thru saying there was a error, without saying what the error is.

Anybody seen this?

I'm running 10.2.8

JJTiger1
Jan 28, 2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by JJTiger1
Yep, spinning beachball gone. And this is before REPAIR PERMISSIONS !!!

I wonder how much better the computer will be AFTER REPAIR PERMISSIONS.

All of the extra hardware seems to be working okay.

Gonna REPAIR PERMISSIONS right now.
=-=
JJ

Repaired permissions: sweet.
=-=
JJ

MacBandit
Jan 28, 2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by toaster_oven
Hmmm.... this is odd- i get a message saying I don't have permission to write to:

"/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate"

i can't seem to find this folder (i can find it only under the terminal)... how do i change permissions on tmp?

i've successfully installed other updates a couple weeks ago...

i've also been having the same problems as jimjiminyjim with my ibook... i'm beginning to think my only solution is to erase my hard-drive and start over (i've backed up my hard-drive on an external drive- can i copy everything back again without having to reinstall all of my software?)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

-the toaster

Have you repaired permissions?

Yeah you can copy everything back over but there are a few Application support files you will probably want to copy as well.

jimjiminyjim
Jan 28, 2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks MacBandit. Running the maintenance scripts didn't help - but OnyX cache clearing made the difference. Go figure.

edit: OnyX is a pretty sweet automation tool.

toaster_oven
Jan 28, 2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Have you repaired permissions?

Yeah you can copy everything back over but there are a few Application support files you will probably want to copy as well.

i've done just about everything under the sun- repaired permissions, repaired the disk, ran MacJanitor, OnyX, etc... with the exception of taking it in to an apple store to have a "genius" take a look at it. everything i do gives me a clean bill of health, but i still get the hanging issue and i can't install the security update.

where would I find the Application support files?

thanks-

the Toaster

MacBandit
Jan 28, 2004, 06:24 PM
i've done just about everything under the sun- repaired permissions, repaired the disk, ran MacJanitor, OnyX, etc... with the exception of taking it in to an apple store to have a "genius" take a look at it. everything i do gives me a clean bill of health, but i still get the hanging issue and i can't install the security update.

where would I find the Application support files?

thanks-

the Toaster

You might want to do a search for receipts and find the one tied to the software update program. Then delete all the receipts. I don't know if this will fix it or not but it will force software update to recheck your computer for needed updates.

Application support files are in the Application support folder within your user library folder. There is also one in library folder at root level of your hard drive.

cjmstl
Jan 29, 2004, 10:20 AM
I'm currently running 10.2.8 and after the installation and reboot all of my Office v.X app's (updated to 10.1.5) hang as they boot up.

Any similar experiences?

Originally posted by cleduc
I dunno what i'm doing wrong...

Since i downloaded it:

No one of these Apps works!!!

- Classic
- Safari
- Mail

Preference files could not be found and recreated if missing (-394821)

When clicking on network to dynamically see networks, it redirects me to my own disk or says alias broken.

Also, on start my mac gets stuck and locks sometimes on "Loading Web-Server" (german translation)

Isn't it a coincidence that these are exactly the apps updated?

MacBandit
Jan 29, 2004, 12:13 PM
Something else that could be done is to create another user account with admin privileges. This way you are using a fresh unaltered account with clean preferences and no 3rd party installed software. You can then try installing the update from there and also see if your programs will run from there. If everything works then you know it's a preference file or a 3rd party program installed on your user account.

cjmstl
Jan 29, 2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestion!

I reinstalled w/ a new admin user and was able to run the Office app's from the new id, but not from my old one. So, I drug the "Microsoft User Data" folder out of my "Documents" folder and voila it worked. I gradually added back in the files and folders I knew I would need w/o any problems. :D

g00gander
Jan 30, 2004, 11:26 AM
After running the update my Firewire backup drive (80 gig LaCie) will not mount, although my iPod will.

I'm running a permission repair now to see if that fixes it. Weird.

toaster_oven
Jan 31, 2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit

You might want to do a search for receipts and find the one tied to the software update program. Then delete all the receipts. I don't know if this will fix it or not but it will force software update to recheck your computer for needed updates.

Application support files are in the Application support folder within your user library folder. There is also one in library folder at root level of your hard drive.

thanks again-

regarding the software updates- no such luck. the file that it says I cannot write to because I do not have permission does not exist. When I try to download the update as a file, it tells me I do not have permission to write to Library/Packages, when clearly I do have permission under general info. I've also deleted all receipts, and still nothing.

But- I went and downloaded from Apple's web-site and I have no problems. I just can't get software update to work properly.

any suggestions?

-TO

MacBandit
Jan 31, 2004, 01:14 PM
thanks again-

regarding the software updates- no such luck. the file that it says I cannot write to because I do not have permission does not exist. When I try to download the update as a file, it tells me I do not have permission to write to Library/Packages, when clearly I do have permission under general info. I've also deleted all receipts, and still nothing.

But- I went and downloaded from Apple's web-site and I have no problems. I just can't get software update to work properly.

any suggestions?

-TO

Repair permissions and restart. Sometimes permissions corrections do not take effect until you restart. Also you can create a new user account with admin privileges and try updating from that account.