PDA

View Full Version : Garageband issue with own audio recording

CrackedButter
Oct 9, 2008, 02:41 PM
I recorded a conference and yesterday and it had a female speaker and then I stopped it to change to the male speaker. I had an error I couldn't reproduce since but now I get 2 error messages whenever I try to open the file and GB doesn't recognise the audio file I want to now convert to AAC.

The first error message states: This file type is not supported. I click okay and then get a second message, it states: 1 invalid regions(s) changed!

Once I've clicked those I get this message stating the audio recording is in 8 bit and is unsupported and then GB closes up.

I need that file converting into AAC, any help is appreciated.

jodelli
Oct 10, 2008, 03:06 AM
So what file type is it and where is it stored?

CrackedButter
Oct 10, 2008, 10:12 AM
It is just the standard GarageBand project and it is located in the default folder in music>Garageband.

jodelli
Oct 11, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hmm.
Right click on the file for Get Info. If it's stored as the file type **.band within that folder then it should play. But if it doesn't have that particular extension then Garageband won't recognize it.

CrackedButter
Oct 11, 2008, 11:37 AM
I realise that but what can I do in order to access the file in order to convert it. Could one of the Pro Apps sort this out?

jodelli
Oct 11, 2008, 02:37 PM
I realise that but what can I do in order to access the file in order to convert it. Could one of the Pro Apps sort this out?

I still need to know the file extension; is it still .band or something else?

jodelli
Oct 11, 2008, 03:16 PM
The '1 invalid regions(s) changed' sometimes means the file is corrupt, in Logic. Some times it's playable.
But that's in Logic. I can't figure out how to convert a Garageband file without at least being able to mount it in the app. It doesn't have to play to export it.

CrackedButter
Oct 11, 2008, 08:19 PM
I still need to know the file extension; is it still .band or something else?

It is a .band file.

sk8mash
Mar 17, 2009, 11:32 AM
Sorry to bring up a relatively old thread, but I am also getting this problem, and a quick search on goolgle shows alot of other people get it to, but I can't find a solution. I have a project working perfectly on my MacBook, but when I transfer it to my iMac, it comes up with the error messages, saying invalid regions, and 8 bit files etc. when I know I have no 8 bit files. Please someone help!

sk8mash
Mar 17, 2009, 01:12 PM
I just took one for the team and was on the phone to Apple support for about 2 hours. In the end we couldn't figure out what caused the problem, but if you compress it before you transfer it then it works!

Jolly Jimmy
Mar 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
I had this problem on multiple recordings once... I tried opening them again about 2 weeks later and the errors had gone...