Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Apple appears too be constantly annoyed with rumor sites killing their sales as people dream of updates and new products. Meanwhile consumers find it difficult to plan for future purchases when these products appear at irregular intervals. Is Apple too secretive?

Secrecy has helped to make some product launches more surprising and exciting. However some users have a justifiable need for some idea of what the future holds. Businesses and government agencies in particular are bound by budgets and future purchasing plans.

I personally set a budget and plan for personal purchases of expensive items such as computers. Whenever my needs fail to match up well with the products offered at the time I plan to make a purchase I feel frustrated. I think that many others feel likewise. If I had some official announcement to go by as a guideline it would make my life a little easier.

So why was last years announcement of 3GHz within twelve months such an unusual occurance? Why the obsession with secrecy?

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Short answer, no.

Long answer, no.

Apple can stay secretive and will because they are a public company. The announcement of the 3Ghz G5 was simply to help give faith to Mac users that everything would be fine from now on in clockspeed.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I like the secretness, without would be we have the plethora of mac rumor sites we do now? It keep things fun, unlike M$ who promie things but never deliver. Apple wouldn't want that

Pseudonym

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2004
Old Blighty
I think Apple has to be secretive. Since it supplies both the hardware and software of a computer sales would be seriously hit if Apple were to say the next upgrade is around the corner. Rumour sites will affect sales, announcements from Apple would kill them.

Microsoft are in a totally different situation. People care less about software updates than they do about processor/product updates. You can always upgrade software, it is a pig to upgrade Apple hardware.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I think that they have to be secretive since their marketshare is so small. It is hard enough for them when rumor sites mention something like a bump in speeds on the 15 and 17 PB. Because they have to manage their inventories much more closely.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Well sure, they can't say "we're going to release the G6 next month so don't buy anything." But they could be a little clearer than "Things are coming that look really good."

Is Apple going to wait until June to release a new PM or can we expect incremental speed increases between now and then? Can we expect MacOS 10.4 to appear sometime in 2004? 2005? 2006?

My point is that in the absence of any facts of any kind we are forced to speculate. So Apple created the void of information which spawned rumor sites and the hassles for their inventory by this secrecy.

The result is that we never know how long to wait and this hurts their overall sales.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
True, but they were burning because of leaks, back in the 90s. If you are so worried about the release of an updated proc than just wait for an announcement. Dell and other companies do the same thing. They just don't have zealots, like Apple does.

Dan

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by alset
If you are so worried about the release of an updated proc than just wait for an announcement. Dell and other companies do the same thing. They just don't have zealots, like Apple does.

Spot on, Apple are no different then any other company with regards to new products.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
No,

In fact as much as I love rumor sites, the PowerBook fiasco of last year shows the problem. Every month there was a "PowerBooks" are coming rumor and sales really were hurt. If Apple said, G5 PowerBooks are coming this summer imagine how many G4 PowerBooks would not be bought. As it is as soon as we hear a rumor we don't buy. This hurts Apple and us actually, I firmly believe that there have been times when a product was ready to roll but was delayed because of Inventory surplus.

Although we all love Apple and are "zealots" about their products, there are still a business first and must make business decisions.

Give this a thought, if there were no rumor sites, would you even have been able to ask that question?

macboyX
check out http://www.macboyx.com

kkubaryc

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Paris, France
Rumors top Google

Personally, I think Apple is too secretive, but I understand that they need to keep some things private. For example, there have been several times that I said to myself that I would get a new powerbook now if the wait for a g5 is a year or more. Since I'm not fully convinced that the wait will be more than a year, Apple loses my sale.

Anyhow, it's funny that even though we make up a tiny niche in the computer market, try typing "Rumors" (with the "s") into Google. We have the top two links!

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Apple needs to be secretive because so much of its business depends on innovation- innovation that is constantly being copied by the competition. However, I feel for the people who, for example, are presently in the market for a PowerMac. I have the luxury of holding off until I hear the announcement before diving in. Some people need computers and such right away.

Squire

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Squire
Apple needs to be secretive because so much of its business depends on innovation- innovation that is constantly being copied by the competition. However, I feel for the people who, for example, are presently in the market for a PowerMac. I have the luxury of holding off until I hear the announcement before diving in. Some people need computers and such right away.

Squire

Well, There is no reason why Apple can't at least give a roadmap of where they are planning to go with the their various products. This doesn't mean that they have to give specific details but they could, for example, say. OS X Puma in 2004, OS X Tiger in fall of 2006. This doesn't really give anything away but gives users at least an idea of what to expect.

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
I was thinking about this the other day. I would love it if Apple had a particular day each quarter where they would release any new products (if there were any) - say 1st Tue in Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct. You would still have rumors as to what might come out next quarter, but people in Feb would know that it would be 2 months before the next thing comes out. This month has been terrible when waiting to buy a new Mac. First it was the 20th, then it was the 24th but that was a Sat so then it was the 27th, now it is after the Superbowl. I finally bit the bullet and bought my eMac - sure would have been easier had I known that nothing new would be introduced before April.

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
Re: Is Apple too secretive?

Is Apple too secretive?

You can be killed for asking such questions. shhhhhhhhh
i could be taken away just for posting here.
*booom booom booom*
"Open up!!!!!"
gotta go...apple gastapo.

Downdivx

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
Fayetteville, NC
I think less secrecy make sense if you're serious about getting people to switch.
Switching over from the Intel processor increases to Apple increase is a huge change (as I'm finding out). Intel releases a new processor every couple of months (slower lately), and the old processors all move down one notch. With Intel I could buy the second fastest processor and know that for the next several months it would be one of the fastest. With apple, an entirely new product line could come from nowhere or every processor speed could suddenly be replaced.
Personally, I would like a road map: PM upgrades in the summer, Imac upgrades in the Fall, Xserve upgraded in the winter, etc. I'm not asking for detailed product info and release dates, I would just like more direction than this, especially if Apple is trying to get people to Switch!
W

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
personally i think it was a mistake for Jobs to have his 3Ghz in a year comment. because we are about a year later from the G5's unvailing. if apple doesnt get updated G5's out this month all the "harbinger's of doom" will start showing up again. "apple's going under...yadda yadda". makes me ill. its good to know something faster is coming...but that is always going to be the case.
i think apple should keep doing as they are doing now, but offer more kind of discounts or buy backs for people that get "shafted" on recent purchases before an upgrade. apple does do this sort of thing. i remember getting my first G3. i ordered a beige G3. they held my order and held my order until i was frothing at the mouth. they wouldnt tell me why they wouldnt ship it. low and behold it was because the B&W G3 came out. i forgot how mad i was and just enjoyed my computer. thats what everyone should do. buy the best you can when you can. enjoy your purchase. dont worry so darn much.

Downdivx

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
Fayetteville, NC
Yet at the same time it seems that there are plenty of people out there (or at least in these forums) who are interested in buying a PM, but are willing to wait for faster processors. We're all assuming that there will be an intermediary step between 2.0 and 3.0, but if Apple would just say next PM revision this summer, a bunch of us would go ahead and buy.
I'm going to graduate from College in May, so I can't wait till this summer because I want to use my Education discount. I'm assuming that a 50% performance increase is too much and one year is too long to wait, so I'm waiting for an upgrade before I buy.
W

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by dwishbone
personally i think it was a mistake for Jobs to have his 3Ghz in a year comment. because we are about a year later from the G5's unvailing. if apple doesnt get updated G5's out this month all the "harbinger's of doom" will start showing up again.

PowerMac G5s unveiled at WWDC, June 23, 2003 [link]

Today's date is January 28. That's just under 5 months 'til the 1 year is up.

Apple has plenty of time to get to 3GHz.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Well, There is no reason why Apple can't at least give a roadmap of where they are planning to go with the their various products. This doesn't mean that they have to give specific details but they could, for example, say. OS X Puma in 2004, OS X Tiger in fall of 2006. This doesn't really give anything away but gives users at least an idea of what to expect.

True.

However, I think a lot of it is not so much a matter of Apple being secretive rather than us being nosy/curious.

I remember before I bought my Canon Powershot G2, I did Net searches for "G3" hoping I would know when the updated model was coming. Nothing. Three weeks after I got it...Boom...G3 released. I haven't checked, but I doubt there's a Powershotrumors.com site.

Squire

Downdivx

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2004
Fayetteville, NC
5 months is plenty of time, especially if Steve was confident enough to promise 3GHz in June. However, 7 months without an upgrade is a little unsettling to a switchers.
Also, 5 months isn't much time for 2 upgrades - first to a midlevel then to 3.0 GHZ. I guess as long as the dual 2.0s are selling well there isn't much reason to rock the boat.

And after thinking about it a little, I also realized that a lot of intel's performance jumps weren't that big. Intel would jump 10% in Ghz but only 3% in performance. So I guess switchers are trading constant, meaningless increases for irregular, significant jumps.

Oh well, I'm still going to switch, but I'm also still waiting a month or so.

W

PS: As for best you can, when you can - certainly true, but I'm a college student, this will be my BIG purchase for a while, and because I'm in video editing, it will make a difference in my performance in the real world. Every little bit helps alot.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Originally posted by Downdivx
PS: As for best you can, when you can - certainly true, but I'm a college student, this will be my BIG purchase for a while,
Exactly. Before my PB, my "BIG purchase" was my Schwinn Moab in the spring of '01. It just sits at home in garage collecting dust now, I need to ride much more this summer.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Originally posted by Downdivx
5 months is plenty of time, especially if Steve was confident enough to promise 3GHz in June. However, 7 months without an upgrade is a little unsettling to a switchers.
Also, 5 months isn't much time for 2 upgrades - first to a midlevel then to 3.0 GHZ. I guess as long as the dual 2.0s are selling well there isn't much reason to rock the boat.

And after thinking about it a little, I also realized that a lot of intel's performance jumps weren't that big. Intel would jump 10% in Ghz but only 3% in performance. So I guess switchers are trading constant, meaningless increases for irregular, significant jumps.

Oh well, I'm still going to switch, but I'm also still waiting a month or so.

W

PS: As for best you can, when you can - certainly true, but I'm a college student, this will be my BIG purchase for a while, and because I'm in video editing, it will make a difference in my performance in the real world. Every little bit helps alot.

Umm...ok I see where you're coming from but just because you buy a 2.0GHz Dual G5 and next month a dual 3.0GHz comes out , your 2.0GHz dualie is not outdated, or a crappy machine. I really think this is a major stumbling block in the switch of Wintel people (I know, I am one). When I used PCs I never sat and worried that the PC i bought was going to JUMP MHz or GHz, I just bought when I needed to buy.

I have 2.0GHz G5 and I am not gonna throw it away when the 3.0GHz G5s come out, it will still be a kick ass machine. I can see not wanting to buy a PM G4 when the G5 was around the corner (and we did know abt that via rumor sites) but this is just like finding out that the Accord you bought in 2003 had a 200HP V6 and the 2004 has 240HP. Your Accord isn't trash, it still gets you to work and pretty damn quickly.

Just buy, and don't worry. It's a fact, as soon as you buy, things will change. The machine you bought will still do what you need.

Also I think since I switched, I stopped worrying about having the "FASTEST, GREATEST, and NEWEST" and started worrying about having a machine that does what I ask.

Just my opinion.

macboyx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.