Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
Originally posted by jrv3034
Now THAT's smart. Welcome, Mike Rowe, to the American Dream!:D

Since he's Canadian, wouldn't that make it the Canadian Dream?

Maybe we've rubbed off on our neighbors to the north a little too much ;)

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Almost $1400 already...the other funny thing was Mike Rowe said on Tech TV last night that he will probably install Liniux on his XBox!!! Very funny! Cracked up the Screen Savers people!

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Originally posted by Chip NoVaMac
I guess his exams are over.

While M$ actions were horrible, didn't this kid say it wasn't about the money?

He said that is not why he did it in the first place, but you can't blame him for taking advantage and being resourceful after the fact!

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I'm so sick of this snot-nosed punk. I felt kind of bad for him being strong-armed by M$, but I also recognized that he had to know they wouldn't approve of his domain. That he asked for $10k to release it cost him some respect points. Going to the media for support was a nice idea, but milking it this hard is pathetic. You can't persuade me that such opportunistic behavior is anything but an attempt to leech off of the rest of the world. I actually hate him more than SCO and M$ combined. Never thought anyone could take that spot.

Am I overly negative towards this kid? Maybe. But parasitic tactics like this sum up all that is wrong with the world, to me.

Dan

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by alset
You can't persuade me that such opportunistic behavior is anything but an attempt to leech off of the rest of the world.

While its true that he is being opportunistic - I think P.T. Barnum said it best "There's a sucker born every minute"

While the kid is making a bid to extend the notoriety he gamed due to the whole fiasco, what's to be said from the people bidding on this document? It really has no value as far as I'm concerned and if I was approached by someone with $2,000 and they wanted to buy a copy of some documents I had, I wouldn't even blink.

Just give it some time and all this silliness will only be an obscurity that won't even make it on the 2004 version of Trivial Pursuit.

D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I'm so sick of this snot-nosed punk. I felt kind of bad for him being strong-armed by M$, but I also recognized that he had to know they wouldn't approve of his domain. That he asked for $10k to release it cost him some respect points. Going to the media for support was a nice idea, but milking it this hard is pathetic. You can't persuade me that such opportunistic behavior is anything but an attempt to leech off of the rest of the world. I actually hate him more than SCO and M$ combined. Never thought anyone could take that spot.

Am I overly negative towards this kid? Maybe. But parasitic tactics like this sum up all that is wrong with the world, to me.

Dan

Thanks, i was feeling bad about my feelings towards this kid.

Personally I feel that kid knew full well that he would butt heads with M$. Their offer was weak at best. His $10k counter seemed viable, if not excessive for his age and the amount of business he may have developed.

Then he settles for an XBox and some money to redevelop his business. NOW he decides to sell the papers that chronicles his saga. Seems like he set himself up for this. Trying full well to profit from this.

In hindsight since he seemed more interested in web development (according to postings on his original website). Now it seems that he had other ideas in mind. Now in a better light of day we see that a name like mikeroweware.com (used by RadiSys under their product of Microware for Mac), or mikeroweDEV.com (used by Microcomputer Devices), or even mikerowecorp.com (Microware Corp that deals in software solutions) would have run afoul of copyrights to this degree. He chose his domain carefully, and I think willfully. Being in advertising i have to look at things carefully in this internet age. Given his accomplishments he is better suited to know better.

Maybe we are so blinded by our disgust of M$ to see the difference.

Many of us have painted him as a saint when the initial reports appeared. I too felt that he was being attacked.

His actions speak louder than words.

Maybe he is the next Bill gates. We better watch out for him. He learned the value of having lawyers. nothing else.

Wake up people the Emperor has no clothes!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm not familiar with eBay (I'm not in the US so I use the local site Trade Me instead), but is it normal to not be able to see everyone's bids?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I hope the kid gets stiffed....

How do you see him getting stiffed?

With 6 days to go - this is already out of hand - I don't even think Mike Rowe could have hoped for more....its total madness that anyone is willing to pay that much for these documents.

:rolleyes:

D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
How do you see him getting stiffed?

With 6 days to go - this is already out of hand - I don't even think Mike Rowe could have hoped for more....its total madness that anyone is willing to pay that much for these documents.

:rolleyes:

D

Meaning that the high bidder backs out. And any follow-up offer gets rebuffed.

I am beginning to think that M$ offer of $10 was MORE than fair....

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Agreed.

I hope the kid gets stiffed....

Show him the real world.

I've been thinking that ever since I heard about it. I never would have thought the price would grow so high.

Dan

edit: I wonder how much of this is from people pushing it up just for fun....?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
edit: I wonder how much of this is from people pushing it up just for fun....?

well, at this price, its best not to try that if you're not wanting to end up being the highest bidder....its unreal - and some of these have to be serious. If you look at the bidding history and the profiles of the people doing the bidding, they've been using ebay for a long time.....totally wacked. :rolleyes:

But he's on his way to getting his college payed for (at least that's what I hope he uses some of it for)

D

zapp

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Caribou,ME
This is amazing

People never cease to amaze me. Is there anything that I am missing. It is up to $31,850. How could anyone justify spending this much money on this? I guess it is true "a fool and his money are soon parted". Hats of to Mike for making the most of this. Maybe he can sell the second copy he has and get his Masters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.