PDA

View Full Version : Apple Addresses iBook Logic Boards

MacRumors
Jan 28, 2004, 08:13 PM
Apple has posted a FAQ (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/) about their new iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program.

The program is "a worldwide program covering repair or replacement of the logic board in specific iBook models manufactured between May 2002 and April 2003 that are experiencing specific component failures."

This program begins on January 28, 2004 and will cover affected iBooks for a period of 3 years from the time of first retail sale. Apple will cover all costs involved, including shipping, for eligible customers.

To participate in the program, call the appropriate AppleCare Contact Center for the country in which you are located, or contact a local AASP. The U.S. support number is 1-800-275-2273.

jcshas
Jan 28, 2004, 08:16 PM
Way to go Apple - I feel much better (safer) now!

MacBoy88
Jan 28, 2004, 08:16 PM
YES YES YES!!!

Mudbug
Jan 28, 2004, 08:17 PM
This is most definitely a good thing.

theipodgod16
Jan 28, 2004, 08:17 PM
this is really good, sory gous im relly durkn rnow, but i think this is togood....

QCassidy352
Jan 28, 2004, 08:18 PM
good for the company's image, and the right thing to do. Bravo.

Counterfit
Jan 28, 2004, 08:19 PM
About time they started handling it right.

BTW, how often does the main page refresh?

applemacdude
Jan 28, 2004, 08:22 PM
Good for all ibook customers with sucky ibooks...

zyuzin4
Jan 28, 2004, 08:22 PM
OH MY GOSH I did not expect this at all from Apple who had previously said that no known problem exists. Wow I may get my ibook repaired after all :D

ThomasJefferson
Jan 28, 2004, 08:23 PM
Beat you to the news Arn.

I posted this under General Apple and Tech Discussion at ..
01-28-2004 09:08 PM

Smoked!

jer2665
Jan 28, 2004, 08:29 PM
that's pretty damn funny, and does make the apple call i got yesterday make more sense. apple called me a few times yesterday, and didn't leave messages. then they called once i was home and kept trying to push me to get the applecare (i'm waiting till it gets closer to my original warranty going out) and they were pushing hard for me to get it. then this happens the next day. that's a pretty big freaking coincidence. but i am glad they finally did come clean with this though.

dukemeiser
Jan 28, 2004, 08:31 PM
This is great considering I have one of the covered iBooks (I'm using it right now). This means I'm covered if my logic board craps out until July 2005!!!

I'm on my 4th logic board right now, and I've had it for about a year now, so it doesn't look like I'll ever have to use this program, but I'm glad to know it is there!

This is also the right thing to do. I'm glad Apple faced up to these poor components instead of denying it and pissing off customers.

jxyama
Jan 28, 2004, 08:36 PM
great. better late than never and congrats (of sorts) to iBook users who's been plagued by this...

does this mean:

1) apple has figured out the exact nature of the problem and found a solution for it? (i think the theory is that it's not the logic board but the power supply? afterall, logic boards can't fail *that* many times on its own, could it?) it would be awfully expensive for apple to keep on bandaging the problem (replacing the logic boards) if the fundamental problem is not addressed?

2) iBooks after april 2003 aren't affected? (is that the last generation G3 iBook?)

3) (similar to #2) G4 iBook aren't affected?

bojaren
Jan 28, 2004, 08:41 PM
Apparently, this is great news to me.
I'm on second Logic board, which I received from Apple in April. It has caused no problem yet.

But...I wonder that Apple would repair the faulty component. I think they will just change it with the still-faulty Logic board, which is not improved than before.

IMO.

jadam
Jan 28, 2004, 08:43 PM
do you still have to be under warranty for this?

But this just KICKS ASSSSSS!!!! WOW! Finally, Ive gone through 2 logic boards so far, apple rocks!!! I LOVE YOU APPLE!!!

telecomm
Jan 28, 2004, 08:44 PM
Sigh...

My girlfriend just sold her (dead logic board) iBook for next to nothing, since the warranty had run out and she couldn't afford to get it replaced.:(

Indiana Mac
Jan 28, 2004, 08:44 PM
Way to go Apple!! Now if only they had admitted this 8 months ago before I paid for applecare to cover this problem..... But I'm glad to see they did come clean. Raises my confidence in them.

latergator116
Jan 28, 2004, 08:45 PM
Awesome!.... but I do think it took them a little too long. But, I am glad to know that my iBook will now be covered for three years.

ibookin'
Jan 28, 2004, 08:47 PM
I have an iBook 32 VRAM, one of the covered models, but it is a warranty replacement for a 500MHz model, which is not covered. The purchase date of the original machine was 8/27/01, too early to qualify.

If I do qualify, I'm really happy about this. Now I can have piece of mind.

Samurai980
Jan 28, 2004, 08:47 PM
Wooohoo! Im not so screwed anymore! Too bad iBook G3 owners dont get free iBook G4s. ;) Well, guess Ill have to call tomorrow.

I only wish Apple would of done this earlier and saved a lot of people cash. I know this situation has created a lot of bad feelings in Apple's customers.

ibookin'
Jan 28, 2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Samurai980

I only wish Apple would of done this earlier and saved a lot of people cash. I know this situation has created a lot of bad feelings in Apple's customers.

They're reimbursing those who have already paid for the repair.

Yay Apple!

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 28, 2004, 08:51 PM
why did this take so long should be the question people should be asking. Apple did the right thing but come on it took them a 1 1/2 years to see this? I wonder if it will take that long for fixing that hard drive temp sensor in G5 pro tower?

fearless
Jan 28, 2004, 08:53 PM
My iBook's a Late 2001, unaffected by this, and has always worked perfectly. I wish everyone who'd bought an iBook on my recommendation had had such a great time...

This is the right thing to do, and it's a shame that making the case for it has taken the shine off Apple's image in recent months... but I guess it takes that long to do the numbers.

A good result - Apple, stick by us, and we'll stick by you.

solitarycow
Jan 28, 2004, 08:53 PM
Excellent news indeed. Definitley very good for Apple's image. Way to step up to the plate!

matt18012
Jan 28, 2004, 08:54 PM
When they say "participate in the program", do they mean I have to sign up for somthing? Or do I only need to call if I have a faulty logic board? Basically:, am I automatically covered?

NusuniAdmin
Jan 28, 2004, 08:56 PM
YES YES YES now my problem of wut mac is over, time to get a 14" ibook 1 ghz g4 :D and not have to worry about those stupid issues, WAY TO GO APPLE MY FAITH IS RESTORED IN YOU! now time to address the pbook 15" monitor issues. and the not as common apple display dead pixel issues.

me_94501
Jan 28, 2004, 08:57 PM
My faith in Apple has been restored. :)

Now that Apple has admitted that a problem exists, I'll give my iBook another chance before replacing it.

ITR 81
Jan 28, 2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by matt18012
When they say "participate in the program", do they mean I have to sign up for somthing? Or do I only need to call if I have a faulty logic board? Basically:, am I automatically covered?

I would call just to make sure.

When in doubtcall.

Nermal
Jan 28, 2004, 08:58 PM
The repairs outlined in this program, including shipping charges, are covered at Apple's cost.

I wonder whether I can get my $8 refunded? :rolleyes:

BTW, fearless, you really must be fearless to post your phone number in a public forum :eek:

MoparShaha
Jan 28, 2004, 09:01 PM
I think this is going to go a long way to restoring Apple's image. They have been getting bad press about this logic board issue. I specifically avoided iBooks because of this. I think it is mighty big of them to offer this program, plus the reimbursments. Most other companies would have just let this slide, especially this late in the game.

fussball
Jan 28, 2004, 09:03 PM
I am glad that they did this. I have had my 05-2002 iBook for a year and a half without problems, but it's nice to know I am covered. Maybe it took so long to do this because they hadn't found an inexpensive fix for the problem? and didn't want to foot the bill for hugely expensive fixes? but then they wouldn't want to reimburse those who already did the replacements. Hmm, who knows but whatever it is, it's a very noble business move!

swingerofbirch
Jan 28, 2004, 09:06 PM
I had four logic board deaths on my iBook. The logic board was replaced three times, the fourth time, Apple claims there was water spilled on the unit, which I still maintain is an out-and-out lie. A lot of other people that signed up for the class action lawsuit had this experience of having their warrranty voided because of claims of liquid damage. I assume this extended coverage does not cover us. I have fought so long and hard to get this taken care of that I eventually spoke to Robin Roberts, of Apple Executive Relations, who was the absolute meanest person I have ever talked to in my life. I have never been attacked by a customer relations person before. She seemed to be suffering from the delusion that customers like myself were trying to bring Apple under, and repeatedly said that she could not stand people like myself. Anyhow, she denied that there were any particular problems with the iBook line just about a week ago. I will call Apple again to see if this changes anything, but I am doubtful. I think the lawsuit needs to go forward for people whose iBooks were denied warranty coverage with weak accusations of liquid damage.

Yorus
Jan 28, 2004, 09:09 PM
My ibook died at 15 months in October. In November I replaced it with a G4 ibook, extended warranty and external hard drive case for my old hard drive...

Over 2 grand Canadian out of pocket. Wonder if Apple will do something about that!

I feel quite queezy right now.:mad:

coolsoldier
Jan 28, 2004, 09:10 PM
I haven't had any problems with my iBook so far (January 2003), but it's nice to know that I'm covered if it does fail.

Counterfit
Jan 28, 2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by NusuniAdmin
now time to address the pbook 15" monitor issues. and the not as common apple display dead pixel issues. They already took care of the white spots, and dead pixels happen.

lebnjay
Jan 28, 2004, 09:21 PM
This is excellent. I have been getting really tired of warning people about this issue, especially when I am trying to sell them on Apple in the first place. Every-time anyone asks about my ibook I have always had to tell them it's been great and I love it except...
This is more than I expected Apple to do and exactly what they needed to do. It's too bad this became such an issue but I am glad it is finally being taken care of in a logical manner.
Finally I can relax and stop babying my ibook after it has had it's logic board replace 3 times, the last one just one day outside of warranty. Had to call three or four times to get that repair done but eventually someone pushed it through.

-lebn

hmm, great news to those of you who have bought dead ibooks at super cheap prices. Wonder if there are any still out there for cheap?

Wonder Boy
Jan 28, 2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by lebnjay
Wonder if there are any still out there for cheap?

check college bookstores. thats where i got mine.

JoeMacDaddy
Jan 28, 2004, 09:27 PM
My wife's iBook was replaced after they changed out the logic board 4 times. Now just recently the replacement iBook had the logic board replaced. I hope this is the last time. I had my wife sold on Apple and how much better it was vs. an old winders machine. I hope this is a permant fix for everyone.

Thanks to Apple for doing the right thing.

MattG
Jan 28, 2004, 09:29 PM
Very cool. I'm not an iBook owner, but I'm happy for the many problem-iBook owners who have posted on these forums (as well as others) regarding repeat problems with their iBooks.

Macmaniac
Jan 28, 2004, 09:31 PM
I'm glad to see that Apple acknowledged the problem, hopefully this will make a lot of people happy. Nice work Apple.

jadam
Jan 28, 2004, 09:34 PM
It would be great if they would also replace every effected ibook with the logic board from a 800mhz G3 32mb Radeon model! that would be the best thing for them to do. I mean, when i first got my ibook repaired they replaced the 20gb hard drive I had with a 30gb and I havent been happier since until my ibooks logic board fried again, just 1 week before the warranty was over. Hopefully they give me a new battery too, my current one lasts all but 30seconds.

nosaj72
Jan 28, 2004, 09:39 PM
Whohooooo!!!! My 2 week out of warranty iBook just started doing this. I was really pissed. Now I am saved!

Then again, I had just about talked my wife into letting me get a G4 replacement.... :)

Photorun
Jan 28, 2004, 09:44 PM
Yesss Apple. Smart biz move. I wonder how many peecee makers have ever done such a thing? Then again then every weenie who bought a peecee would want their money back considering all WIntel machines are, by virtue of their very hardware and software, defective.

ITR 81
Jan 28, 2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by swingerofbirch
I had four logic board deaths on my iBook. The logic board was replaced three times, the fourth time, Apple claims there was water spilled on the unit, which I still maintain is an out-and-out lie. A lot of other people that signed up for the class action lawsuit had this experience of having their warrranty voided because of claims of liquid damage. I assume this extended coverage does not cover us. I have fought so long and hard to get this taken care of that I eventually spoke to Robin Roberts, of Apple Executive Relations, who was the absolute meanest person I have ever talked to in my life. I have never been attacked by a customer relations person before. She seemed to be suffering from the delusion that customers like myself were trying to bring Apple under, and repeatedly said that she could not stand people like myself. Anyhow, she denied that there were any particular problems with the iBook line just about a week ago. I will call Apple again to see if this changes anything, but I am doubtful. I think the lawsuit needs to go forward for people whose iBooks were denied warranty coverage with weak accusations of liquid damage.

Well you know you don't have to spill anything on a laptop to get condensation on the logic board. We had Panasonic Toughbook go out this way.

But whats the point of angry post?
Just call them and have it fixed and be done with it.

ITR 81
Jan 28, 2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Yorus
My ibook died at 15 months in October. In November I replaced it with a G4 ibook, extended warranty and external hard drive case for my old hard drive...

Over 2 grand Canadian out of pocket. Wonder if Apple will do something about that!

Oook..soo?

Why the hell should they replace your iBook unless you still have it??
Do you have the iBook? If not you have no case.

Move on and enjoy your G4 iBook.

latergator116
Jan 28, 2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Oook..soo?

Why the hell should they replace your iBook unless you still have it??
Do you have the iBook? If not you have no case.

Move on and enjoy your G4 iBook.

I would be pissed off I were them too. It sounds like they bought the iBook G4 because they were having tons of problems with the other one. Plus too much money was going into the repairs.

jboncha
Jan 28, 2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by jadam
It would be great if they would also replace every effected ibook with the logic board from a 800mhz G3 32mb Radeon model! that would be the best thing for them to do... Hopefully they give me a new battery too, my current one lasts all but 30seconds.
i hear you. why not cover all ibook's with logic board problems? i purchased my ibook in march of 2002 and have had the logic board replaced ~3 times so far. luckily i need not worry about this since i had the common sense to get the extended warranty on an expensive computer that gets lugged around everywhere. i also just got a new battery from apple as a christmas gift(under warrenty)!
miah

PHARAOHk
Jan 28, 2004, 09:59 PM
I had four logic board deaths on my iBook. The logic board was replaced three times, the fourth time, Apple claims there was water spilled on the unit

I have been through a similar situation myself. CompUSA/laptop hell. Sorry, I know what that's like, especially when you don't have your computer it's much worse.

That post was very level headed ITR 81. Your obvious lack of reading comprehension disturbs me. Or you are trying to be funny? What's the point of your post?

mxpiazza
Jan 28, 2004, 10:03 PM
i had my board replaced 3 times then finally just got a replacement machine from them and eBay'ed it new in the box, took that cash, suffered with a peecee until the new 12" pb came out, then hopped on this bad boy.

i'm glad they're finally setting it right, although it still makes me feel weird that even through yesterday Apple was denying that there was ever a widespread problem with the iBook line...

oh well, at least they're making it right.

noxes
Jan 28, 2004, 10:21 PM
My screens back light turns off, if I push my screen to far back. Is this covered.
However, my iBook is from way way back in old 2001.

boy
Jan 28, 2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by noxes
My screens back light turns off, if I push my screen to far back. Is this covered.
However, my iBook is from way way back in old 2001.

omg!! this is the same problem i have with my ibook. im so gunna check to see if this problem is under the program. i had this fixed before... cost a lot and i still have the problem.

thanks a lot apple... now my mother wont think bad of you anymore. :D

pwrbkdude
Jan 28, 2004, 10:30 PM
apple has identified the problem and there is a fix for it so that it does not occur again once the logic board has been replaced. there is an additional standoff that is used to prevent the vga chip from getting damaged.

howard
Jan 28, 2004, 10:36 PM
yes! this makes my day...
hopefully i'll have no trouble getting reimbursed

coldstorage
Jan 28, 2004, 11:15 PM
Unbelievably cool. I'm on my 2nd logic board in 13 months, had to pay $300 for the last one 10 days ago since I'm out of the warranty period. I can't believe I'm going to get reimbursed. I'm impressed, Apple!

Horrortaxi
Jan 28, 2004, 11:21 PM
My iBook (1 month left on warranty) is in for the logic board problem right now. I was going to buy AppleCare to guard against future instances but it looks like I don't have to now. Good timing!

jadam
Jan 28, 2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
My iBook (1 month left on warranty) is in for the logic board problem right now. I was going to buy AppleCare to guard against future instances but it looks like I don't have to now. Good timing!

You might still want it though because the battery or power adapter might crap out on you.

whoami
Jan 29, 2004, 12:07 AM
you may want to read the fine print if you think applecare will cover your battery! :rolleyes:

jimthorn
Jan 29, 2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by jxyama
does this mean:

1) apple has figured out the exact nature of the problem and found a solution for it? (i think the theory is that it's not the logic board but the power supply? afterall, logic boards can't fail *that* many times on its own, could it?) it would be awfully expensive for apple to keep on bandaging the problem (replacing the logic boards) if the fundamental problem is not addressed?

2) iBooks after april 2003 aren't affected? (is that the last generation G3 iBook?)

3) (similar to #2) G4 iBook aren't affected?

Actually, these are the same questions I have. I had a 600MHz iBook, and currently a 900MHz iBook, and I've never had a problem. I would love to trade up to a G4 iBook, but with all this talk about logic board failures, I've been hesitant to change machines. So are current (G4) iBooks immune to these problems? Anyone?

azdude
Jan 29, 2004, 12:55 AM
Simply AWESOME. Perfect job, Apple!! YahooO!

virividox
Jan 29, 2004, 01:30 AM
apple treats its customers right, it may take a while, but at least they try

Horrortaxi
Jan 29, 2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by jadam
You might still want it though because the battery or power adapter might crap out on you.
I could replace both for less than the cost of AppleCare though.

SeaFox
Jan 29, 2004, 01:36 AM
Thank God Apple is addressing this. It was becoming a real sore spot on their good quality record.

I hope this is an actual repair (as in they replace poor parts with ones that will last) rather than taking failed parts and replacing with new replacement parts that will go bad in the same amount of time the originals failed.

There was a Mac fix-it site where fixing the iBooks involved replacing a logic board to display cable with a thicker one that could withstand the stress of the pinch when closed and they had to enlarge the cable opening in the case so it would be stressed less.

trutherd
Jan 29, 2004, 02:00 AM
so i have a G3 ibook that i got new about a month ago (since the g4's came out) and my serial number starts with UV324. apple's cutoff is UV318.. does this mean my machine should be fine or am i getting screwed?

CmdrLaForge
Jan 29, 2004, 02:23 AM
Thats great news ! Apple really takes care for their customers. Appreciate that. :p

CmdrLaForge
Jan 29, 2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by trutherd
so i have a G3 ibook that i got new about a month ago (since the g4's came out) and my serial number starts with UV324. apple's cutoff is UV318.. does this mean my machine should be fine or am i getting screwed?

OK. I guess they analyzed the problem very soon and my a root cause analysis. Once that was over they immediatly fixed the problem. That means your unit is fine.
On the other hand it means, that they knew from May 2003 on what the problem was and it took them quite a while to come out with this program now.

caveman_uk
Jan 29, 2004, 03:40 AM
Well Apple eventually gave into pressure about the noisy G4 MDDs and now the ibook logic board. Fingers crossed for the dodgy 17" studio display inverter ('my screens half-dark') crowd :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

otter103
Jan 29, 2004, 03:52 AM
This is absolutely fabulous news. I wasted so much time on that little iBook before eventually giving in and buying a G4 powerbook. After 15 years using Apple, I almost changed to a PC.

I called the Apple Support Center in Japan today. At first, the guy didn't know what I was talking about and said flatly that there was no cover. I gave him the URL and he called me back a while later to say that it would probably be carried out in Japan, but it had to be confirmed. It says clearly that it is to be 'worldwide', so I have little doubt, but has anyone else has similar experience with Apple Support centers outside the U.S.?

gogoguerilla
Jan 29, 2004, 04:00 AM
My iBook (which is also dead due to this issue) is not covered because it has a S/N older than the ones covered... This just ads a bucket of salt to the wound!!! AH!

:mad:

Dippo
Jan 29, 2004, 04:17 AM
I couldn't find any broken IBooks on ebay that are covered by this. Oh well, so much for my hopes of getting a cheap ibook :(

johnnyjibbs
Jan 29, 2004, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
On the other hand it means, that they knew from May 2003 on what the problem was and it took them quite a while to come out with this program now.
I'm afraid, in the end Apple was forced to do this program due to threatening legal action and the like which would likely be more costly and more damaging to them. Companies always do this but it is generally always the wrong move.

That's why we have to complain about things rather than put up with things that shouldn't be problems! The same applies to the noisy G4 power supplies and the iPod batteries. No doubt other programs will exist in the future but only when everyone is complaining such that the publicity is getting too bad...

Oh, and as far as I know, G4 iBooks were always immune anyway. They are quite different beasts to the G3 iBooks.

avus
Jan 29, 2004, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
Well Apple eventually gave into pressure about the noisy G4 MDDs and now the ibook logic board. Fingers crossed for the dodgy 17" studio display inverter ('my screens half-dark') crowd :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am surprised to read that my 17" Studio Display's problem was common ('my screens half-dark') due to the inverter. Apple quoted me for $500(!) for the repair as the warranty was expired, but I went ahead with it anyway. However, I was "only" charged with $240 when the repair was done. Strange - I too hope Apple will do something about this.

iJed
Jan 29, 2004, 04:54 AM
What about the original dual-USB iBook 500?

I had my iBook 500 logic board fail about a year ago in the way everyone has been claiming that the covered models fail. Why then is the iBook 500 not covered here?

It would also be nice to have my incredible ripoff 315 (~$580) reimbursed that i payed a couple of months outside my warranty.

caveman_uk
Jan 29, 2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by avus
I am surprised to read that my 17" Studio Display's problem was common ('my screens half-dark') due to the inverter. Apple quoted me for $500(!) as the warranty was expired, but I went ahead anyway. However, I was "only" charged with $240 when the repair was done. Strange - I too hope Apple will do something about this.
Check this long thread on Apples own discussion boards
link (http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@87.5jC0aAAeaOO.2@.3bb90097)

fesdds
Jan 29, 2004, 05:35 AM
Glad to see them own up to this problem. my iBook was in the shop for its 4th logic board 3 weeks ago in 13 months and the customer support guy said that it was not a recurring problem.

beloit08
Jan 29, 2004, 05:53 AM
I am SO glad to hear this news! It totally renews my faith in Apple as a company that really cares about the wellbeing of its customers and products.

So, now for my question: My 800Mhz ibook was exhibiting logic board problems for a while, but I kept it stationary and was careful with it, and it mostly worked ok. Then, this past Sunday I woke up to find a blinking question mark/Apple logo on my screen. I know the cause, and I've tried doing installs from the CD, Flashing PRAM, etc. All to no avail.

Does anyone know if the system being unable to find the hard driv might be a direct result of the logic board issue?

VIREBEL661
Jan 29, 2004, 06:16 AM

MAN - that really sucks... I feel for you.. Being a big fan of Apple, it makes me rethink my position a little when I hear stuff like this. They really can't afford to be mean to customers, loyal ones at that. I hope you get your stuff repaired (again) and they resolve the issue. I also see by reading this board that you aren't a unique case. A real drag for sure...

zyuzin4
Jan 29, 2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by beloit08
I am SO glad to hear this news! It totally renews my faith in Apple as a company that really cares about the wellbeing of its customers and products.

So, now for my question: My 800Mhz ibook was exhibiting logic board problems for a while, but I kept it stationary and was careful with it, and it mostly worked ok. Then, this past Sunday I woke up to find a blinking question mark/Apple logo on my screen. I know the cause, and I've tried doing installs from the CD, Flashing PRAM, etc. All to no avail.

Does anyone know if the system being unable to find the hard driv might be a direct result of the logic board issue?

This sounds like problems I was having. My logic board is dead 700mhz. It starts to a black screen. Before it went completely dark, i was having hard drive problems. It wouldnt let me reinstall the OS etc. etc. It actually made me think I had a hard drive problem and not a logic board until I started doing some research.

By the way, does anybody know where the fan(s) is located in the ibook?

BenRoethig
Jan 29, 2004, 06:36 AM
Thankfully my 900 is not effected.

Zech Marquis
Jan 29, 2004, 07:02 AM
I'm glad to see Apple step up to the plate like this, way to go!

joephish
Jan 29, 2004, 07:16 AM
I have an iBook 900Mhz. It started having logic board problems earier this week. I was very relieved to hear that Apple were going to be repairing the iBooks for free.

However, I checked my serial number and it ISN'T ELIGIBLE! So I'm going to have to pay to get it repaired anyway.

Why why why why why :-(

avus
Jan 29, 2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by joephish
I have an iBook 900Mhz. It started having logic board problems earier this week. I was very relieved to hear that Apple were going to be repairing the iBooks for free.

However, I checked my serial number and it ISN'T ELIGIBLE! So I'm going to have to pay to get it repaired anyway.

I don't know when you bought yours, but I checked that the iBook 900MHz was introduced on April 22, 2003, so your iBook should still be covered by the original 1-year warranty...?

eazyway
Jan 29, 2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Yorus

More than likely they will. You should still apply. I hope that you registered your ibook.(although Apple should still have the particular SN on record). If it was one covered you should get some sort of a cash rebate. But the iBook must be one of the ones in the serial number list and you must have some documentation to verify your claims.

mac_hermit
Jan 29, 2004, 07:35 AM
Check out all the postings of people who have had multiple logic board replacements. I just got my ibook back from it's second "fix". The computer worked for about 2 weeks after the first "fix".

They apparently have a design problem that hasn't been solved. Continued replacements are better than having to pay for it, but I'd be much happier if they would actually fix the problem.

It's no fun being without your system for 1 - 2 weeks, and to feel that you can't safely keep any data on your computer because it might die at any moment. Yea, you can back up regularly, but how many times a day are you going to back up?

eazyway
Jan 29, 2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by boy
omg!! this is the same problem i have with my ibook. im so gunna check to see if this problem is under the program. i had this fixed before... cost a lot and i still have the problem.

thanks a lot apple... now my mother wont think bad of you anymore. :D

check the serial number. This sounds like a conection problem and not a problem with the screen or motherboard. You may need a new inverter.

Killer Terminal
Jan 29, 2004, 07:45 AM
I've heard things about this... I'm just not sure what's going to happen to all those iBook users who had problems. Go Apple!

jaypee
Jan 29, 2004, 08:01 AM
By the way, does anybody know where the fan(s) is located in the ibook?

Inside the case where the display hinge is located. If you look you'll see the vents for it.

hob
Jan 29, 2004, 08:42 AM
This is weird - I suffered from the iBook Logic Board problem, but... My serial number falls outside the range! Mine was manufactured around august/september 2003!!

Hob

wPod
Jan 29, 2004, 08:48 AM
woohoo!!! getting my iBook fixed!!! (im pretty sure the serial number is covered) can't wait to get home and find out!

i had my logic board replaced two times during the standard warente, and didnt buy apple care b/c of so many problems i had (i also had battery problems) and i mostly didnt feel like sending the stupid thing in over and over and over. so i bought a 12" PB and have had NO problems for 6 months so far.

so now i will get my iBook fixed and finally have 2 macs!!! (the iBook was my first, im a switcher from the dark side)

macboy
Jan 29, 2004, 09:16 AM
I have an original iBook from when they first were introduced. I had the logic board go on me and had to pay over $500 to have it fixed plus shipping charges!! Yikes! I'm not happy that Apple did provide the plan to all iBooks cause I know a lot of people who have had Logic board problems with their First Gen. iBooks.

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 29, 2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by iJed

I had my iBook 500 logic board fail about a year ago in the way everyone has been claiming that the covered models fail. Why then is the iBook 500 not covered here?

It would also be nice to have my incredible ripoff 315 (~$580) reimbursed that i payed a couple of months outside my warranty.

Good question - I have the same model and it exhibits those symptoms, plus a burned-out Firewire PHY plus a dodgy PMU. Lesson learned - Applecare is part of the price of an Apple laptop.

eazyway
Jan 29, 2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by joephish

To produce a massive repair program usually takes time to identify the range of the problems and the items affected. If it is outside the range likely you have a different logic board (a different revision #) and until this can be shown to be a larger more pervasive problem it will not be included. If it does come up a lot then this board may be added to the problem but logic board failures will always randomly occur since computer parts are not all identical even though they come of the same assembly line.

On a techie note. usually logic board problems are not intermittent but finite (not always of course). If it is broke is doesn't work at all not just some of the time. Intermittent problems often are because of poor connections that can be easily fixed or pressure on the screen to the logic board connector which can happen with a lot of usage on the device over time.

But computer problems in the hardware are not always easy to identify.

One lesson to learn though ...Hang on to any dead system for a while before you discard it and monitor if the problem you had turns out to be widespread.

vixapphire
Jan 29, 2004, 10:05 AM
Funny, my logic board on my ibook 700 G3 crapped out beyond repairability 3 days before the warranty expired over the Xmas holiday. I was in Cleveland; thankfully, an apple store has recently opened there, so after driving across the county, I was able to drop it off with the apple store to be shipped offsite to replace the logic board, and apple shipped the repaired unit to my home in LA a few days later. I was very happy with the service I received. I had no idea that this problem is apparently endemic to the machine. Had I known it at the time of purchase I probably would have been more likely to buy a second-hand Tibook or something instead of the ibook (even though I love the clean all-white industrial design of the thing).

What a frustrating glitch to experience in one's machine, though!

vixapphire
Jan 29, 2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Killer Terminal
Whee. Man, it's about time this happened. When I found out about this forum I decided to post my story...:

I'll give you all a pointer, though. If you're polite with them, they'll go out of their way to help you. If you're an *******, they won't do anything.

Well, later, guys. Hope you enjoyed my story.

Dude,
you sound like you're trying to write a commercial for apple.

but re. your pointer; i'd call that basic commonsense. seems to work pretty well no matter who one's dealing with!

Selecter
Jan 29, 2004, 10:47 AM
This is adressed to the dude that claims that Apple screwed him over when they said he had spilled coke all over his ibook.

I really dont know if it is you or not, but some guy with the same problem posted pictures that Apple took of the board on a public forum, may have been this one. It clearly showed what Apple said it did - dried up blotches of brown stuff in droplet form all over the board.

MY question you is: What is Apple's motivation to lie to you, the customer, about what they found? I work in computer service on Windows machines in a customer service dept every day, and I can tell you that we get on average 10 calls a week from customers who lie thru their teeth. Mostly involving liquid spills and broken ports. They just think that it's not their problem if they spill coffee inside the box, or they jammed the USB plug in backwards hard enough to break the plastic.

Apple did the right thing at great cost to them. But I am here to tell you based on my experience ( over 20+ years in service ) that a significant portion of customers LIE about their computers and what happened to them in hopes of getting a exclusion from normal procedures. It happens every single week here where I work.

The fact that the users of 90% of our equipment are police officers *may* be have something to do with it as well.

Apple did the right thing in the end. If you spill Coke in your computer, own up to it and quit trying to pass the buck. The rest of us just have to pay more money next time we buy something.

*wink* :0)

Westside guy
Jan 29, 2004, 10:54 AM
Okay, this is wonderful news... but I can't believe some of the "Apple is so great!" posts on this thread! :D C'mon, they made a defective product and it apparently took the threat of a class action lawsuit to get them to publicly acknowledge the problem.

I like Apple; I love OS X; and I love my Powerbook. But Apple occasionally pulls bone-headed moves, just like any other company. Owning up to their mistakes should be expected behaviour.

Gizmotoy
Jan 29, 2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Selecter

MY question you is: What is Apple's motivation to lie to you, the customer, about what they found? I work in computer service on Windows machines in a customer service dept every day, and I can tell you that we get on average 10 calls a week from customers who lie thru their teeth. Mostly involving liquid spills and broken ports. They just think that it's not their problem if they spill coffee inside the box, or they jammed the USB plug in backwards hard enough to break the plastic.

While I don't doubt for a second that many people who call in for service lie about spilling beverages and such on their machines, is it impossible to believe that this guy didn't? It is his machine, after all. He knows what has and hasn't done to it better than Apple does. You ask what Apple's motivation to lie to him was... if they were indeed lying, they just talked themselves out of paying for waranty work. $500 is hardly a big deal to a huge company, but that doesn't mean the the incentive doesn't exist. Apple's been denying the problem exists for how long now? I don't believe it's outside the realm of possibility that Apple misdiagnosed his machine.

Gizmotoy
Jan 29, 2004, 11:07 AM
Messed that up pretty good. Sorry for this second, errant post.

markoibook
Jan 29, 2004, 11:07 AM
Hi,
This is great news - makes me feel happy as my warantee runs out in Feb.

But do we have to phone up to register for the scheme, or does it imply that we only need to phone when we have a problem?:D

Ling
Jan 29, 2004, 11:17 AM
Well, my logic board finally bit the dust while I was on vacation...and after getting home yesterday, I find out that Apple is going to replace it for free. This is great news!

So, I just got off the phone with Apple Support and my box will be here tomorrow. And my computer should be back in 5-7 business days from when I mail it.

I'm hoping that Apple has found the specific problem and will be able to give me a logic board that isn't going to crap out again. It's great that they're going to take care of us iBook owners and my faith in Apple has been renewed.

Unfortunately, I can no longer use the high cost of logic board replacement as an excuse to upgrade to a G5! :-)

yo duh
Jan 29, 2004, 12:44 PM
Wow,
called apple this am, had to pass test of iBook, told them I saw post of fix, Apple said "sorry you don't have Applecare" --well duh I don't need it, read your Faq page link! 2.(Apple) Sorry your serial # isn't in range, again "is it NOT in the MIDDLE of 220-351,,,,Apple "oh, I guess it is! Apple , "well what are you finding wrong"......hmmmm....well the AASP said after I PAID $$ duh maybe the ill logic board!! And to Apple,,"oh by the way there might be another 10,000 people calling into fix, thanks to MacRumors!!!! Whole process takes 10+ mins. after the 20 min. wait, call early 6AM, also takes anywhere from 20min to 12hrs to update your info on the "check repair status" on support page!
Thank you MacRumors
oh and Apple

CmdrLaForge
Jan 29, 2004, 01:38 PM
Grrrrrr. I just found out the my iBook 900MHz is covered by that program. Now I am scared. How big are the chances, that the logic board will die ? Are there any anual failure rate numbers available ? I guess not. But it would be interesting to find out.

ducati
Jan 29, 2004, 01:58 PM
Our iBook 900 has had 2 logic board replacements--the first one died in my wife's hands, the second one while in the care of Apple. We have been without out iBook for nearly 1 month out of 9 months of ownership.

I'm very pleased Apple is stepping up to the plate... I would have rather been offered a trade $$$, but I think this is an acceptable and stand-up solution.

Now if we could just get this thing back, I'd be much happier. [:)]

kdog
Jan 29, 2004, 04:32 PM
Note - if you read the FAQ Apple posted - they will reimburse folks who have already paid out-of-pocket to get their iBooks repaired. This is a GREAT move by Apple and will restore loyalty in their fan base.

AoWolf
Jan 29, 2004, 04:58 PM
Huh my ibook died last week and I sent it in and whata know a fired logic board. Its kinda funny that this woulf come out now oh well they did pay for it.

eazyway
Jan 29, 2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by vixapphire
Dude,
you sound like you're trying to write a commercial for apple.

but re. your pointer; i'd call that basic commonsense. seems to work pretty well no matter who one's dealing with!

You would be surprised how often common sense goes out the window when a buyer has a problem.

And then you are the next person who calls in to the poor person who just was raked over the coals by an irate purchaser. You often pay for the those who went before.

eazyway
Jan 29, 2004, 05:26 PM

unfortunately it has to be identified as a production problem or defect problem more than just the random event. There is likely a given % that has to be reached before the problem is considered wide spread. The motherboard problem is likely tied to a particular board lot or rev number.

pinto32
Jan 29, 2004, 08:15 PM
Its nice to be reminded that Apple is still one of the few companies that actually cares about more than just short term monitary gains.....forget the fact that this is gonna help them keep customers...this was the right thing to do, and I'm damn proud of them for coming through for their customers.

ethernet76
Jan 30, 2004, 03:07 AM
I seriously doubt Apple did this out of guilt or care for the customer.

After the OS X/G3 lawsuit, I don't think they like the term "class action," which this problem had the easy availiblity to become.

CmdrLaForge
Feb 2, 2004, 07:00 AM
What I find quite interesting is that the law suit against Apple was very much in the news. But nothing or mostly nothing about this move. Quite unfair.

HeartWind
Feb 21, 2004, 12:23 AM
:p

Well, I'm happy! Tuesday I was sitting in a Denny's in Japan sending e-mail, when ZAP! My logic board again! (1st time was last summer six months after I bought my iBook.

Got home, checked the warranty, YIKES!
Expired the week before! I'm gonna trash this thing! Next day I go to buy a Power Book, store closed, drive to next city, they
don't have what I want. Go home, decide to buy from Apple Store by phone, dial Service Center by mistake, grumble about
iBook Logic Board and end of Warranty.
They: Did you say logic board, iBook...well... . They pick it up Thurs. 6:30pm, Saturday 11:00am ding, dong...
Yes! It's back and I'm in another Denny's
writing this! Lucky!!!

hob
Feb 21, 2004, 07:59 AM
my iBook broke down for the 2nd time in less than 6 months a week and a half ago (tuesday). I called them up on tuesday, they sent me a box on thursday, and UPS picked it up on friday. According to UPS the package only arrived the following Monday...

Now it's Saturday, so I called up and asked what was going on, and apparantly they had to ORDER SOME PARTS!! So they didn't even start on it till thursday - how can they run out of logic boards?!? They've gotta have loads in stock!!

Annnnyway, now I have to wait till tuesday at the earliest... So that's a whole 2 weeks i've been HAVING to use my PC :'(

Anyone know of any applicable UK laws I can quote to get my money back? I think i'll just go buy a powerbook....

Hob

CmdrLaForge
Feb 21, 2004, 12:07 PM
OMG - I believe that my iBook has the problem !

Today I discovered that when I close the lid the screen starts to behave strange. The screens flickers a bit and moves to the right !!! What do you guys think ? Is this the logic board ?

If so - what are the next steps ? How long will the iBook work before it fails completly ? If I have to send it to Apple - how long will it takes before I have it back ?

Thanks and Cheers

CmdrLaForge
Feb 21, 2004, 12:12 PM
And what I really cannot understand why this problem can still occur if the logic board already has been replaced ???? :mad: :mad: as some users report. Why can't they really finally fix it ? If its really true that it cannot be finally fixed than I will definitly ask for a new one. Any chances to get the G4 iBook instead ?

granucci
Feb 21, 2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah, but has anybody who has had their logic board replaced, heard from Apple about getting reimbursed? I called AppleCare the day that the program was announced, and they said to wait to be called.

(I have a PB17 but my dad - a switcher - had just bought a used iBook that failed after a few weeks - the night before MacWorld SF, actually)

Daveman Deluxe
Feb 21, 2004, 02:39 PM
And what I really cannot understand why this problem can still occur if the logic board already has been replaced ???? :mad: :mad: as some users report. Why can't they really finally fix it ? If its really true that it cannot be finally fixed than I will definitly ask for a new one. Any chances to get the G4 iBook instead ?

The problem isn't in the logic board itself. The problem is that some wires have RF shielding that sometimes gets exposed and short to ground, which is what's actually damaging the logic boards. As for non-logic-board display issues, the wires in the hinge that run from the video card to the screen are frequently not of sufficient gauge to withstand being twisted around inside the hinge, and so they break.

CmdrLaForge
Feb 22, 2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
The problem isn't in the logic board itself. The problem is that some wires have RF shielding that sometimes gets exposed and short to ground, which is what's actually damaging the logic boards. As for non-logic-board display issues, the wires in the hinge that run from the video card to the screen are frequently not of sufficient gauge to withstand being twisted around inside the hinge, and so they break.

If thats really the case and I really have this problem (from what you can see on the picture above ? I am still not sure if this is the logic board ) I will definitly ask for a replacement.

What I cannot understand from your explanaition is why only a dedicated serial number range is affected.

Cheers

SlowX
Feb 22, 2004, 04:00 PM

What I cannot understand from your explanaition is why only a dedicated serial number range is affected.

Companies change the ways they do things. So for a while they built computers that way, but hopefully now they see the error in their ways and are doing it right.

And to see if you have the problem for sure, bring your machine into an Apple store, or call the Apple service center and chat with someone who knows the whole story.

I just sent mine in last Tuesday, and it's on the way back; should have it all fixed up tomorrow (Monday). Sure did miss it this weekend...

mac4drew
Feb 22, 2004, 10:58 PM

I feel the same. iBook 600 (Late 2001). Just took it in to the Apple Store in Santa Monica.

I was having random kernal panics (even with a clean install on an external HD and no foreign RAM), and my battery had become completely useless (i.e. lasts for litterally 5 minutes when unplugged), and my Hard Drive would freeze up my computer and start clicking and whirring.

The Genius there said some of this might be a logic board problem. If that is what they find, I think I'll ask for the $340 in repairs back.

I think it's kind of crummy that Apple has listed only the serial numbers of a small group of iBooks, when problems are occurring across the board.

zyuzin4
Feb 23, 2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by mac4drew
and my battery had become completely useless (i.e. lasts for litterally 5 minutes when unplugged),

so is this battery problem related to the logic board? Mine was doing the same thing, is there reason to believe that when I get my laptop back that my battery will work and isn't really dead?

CmdrLaForge
Feb 23, 2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by SlowX
Companies change the ways they do things. So for a while they built computers that way, but hopefully now they see the error in their ways and are doing it right.

Yes sure. They change things. So if they found the root cause in the iBook and they fixed it by a dedicated serial number, why can't they repair it in a way that it will not break again. Thats all I am asking for ! Things can go wrong and companys ship products that might have problems. But once the root cause is found - they should be able to fix it for ongoing production as well as for the repairs. Period.

Counterfit
Feb 23, 2004, 02:37 AM
There could be another part of the design that prevents them permanently fixing the problem on affected machines. My guess as to why the wires aren't of sufficient gauge: the hole for them to pass through in the hinge is too small for a a larger wire to fit through. Any techs that have worked on iBooks care to affirm/dispute?

CmdrLaForge
Feb 23, 2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Counterfit
There could be another part of the design that prevents them permanently fixing the problem on affected machines. My guess as to why the wires aren't of sufficient gauge: the hole for them to pass through in the hinge is too small for a a larger wire to fit through. Any techs that have worked on iBooks care to affirm/dispute?

But still, why can't they make those holes a little bit bigger ! That would be much more cost effective for Apple then repairing over and over again and getting customers angry.

hob
Feb 23, 2004, 01:26 PM
Just as I'm curious, well and it affects me too - what ARE lemon laws? I'm thinking of getting a full refund on my 6 month old iBook and i don't know if there's any way I can do it with UK laws...?

Hob

iElvis
Feb 23, 2004, 01:34 PM
I had my iBook 900MHz sent in 2 weeks ago for very poor airport reception. It came back fine.
Its now in again for the logic board. When i look at the write-up on the applecare, it says that the logic board was also replaced when i sent it in for the airport antenna.

The genius at the apple store - woodfield knows me by name now.

CmdrLaForge
Feb 23, 2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by iElvis
I had my iBook 900MHz sent in 2 weeks ago for very poor airport reception. It came back fine.
Its now in again for the logic board. When i look at the write-up on the applecare, it says that the logic board was also replaced when i sent it in for the airport antenna.

The genius at the apple store - woodfield knows me by name now.

And this really shows that they cannot really fix it. That sucks. :mad: :mad:

SeaFox
Feb 23, 2004, 10:53 PM
And this really shows that they cannot really fix it. That sucks. :mad: :mad:

Yeah they can. The folks at Macfixit solved the problem by replacing the cabiling between the screen and logicboard with something beefier. But they had to grind a little off the case in back to acomidate the thicker cable, and Apple probably doesn't want to do that because of aethetic reasons (plus the extra disassembly on the case).

Counterfit
Feb 24, 2004, 12:38 AM
Right, putting extra holes in the case, or making existing holes bigger, can have some adverse affects on the structural integrity of the case.

CmdrLaForge
Feb 24, 2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Counterfit
Right, putting extra holes in the case, or making existing holes bigger, can have some adverse affects on the structural integrity of the case.

How did they fix it on the iBooks shipped after April 03 ? Why can't they fix it the same way for repairs ? Its still the same case !

hob
Feb 24, 2004, 08:19 AM
i'd decided i'd had enough of messing around with my ibook - never knowing whether it was going to fail or not. So i called Apple UK, and got forwarded from person to person for about an hour. Eventually I ended up with a Norwegian Manager (possibly area manager?) who eventually offered me two choices:
-replacement with a 14" iBook G4
-replacement with a 12" Powerbook G4 (but only 1GHz methinks :()

before I feignted I managed to get the words "power..... booooook..." out of my mouth...

So, now I will have a nice new powerbook in my hands in 2-3 weeks, god willing... And even better, they'll let me keep my ibook (when it comes back from the shop) until i recieve the powerbook!!

Problem solved :D

Hob

CmdrLaForge
Feb 24, 2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by hob
i'd decided i'd had enough of messing around with my ibook - never knowing whether it was going to fail or not. So i called Apple UK, and got forwarded from person to person for about an hour. Eventually I ended up with a Norwegian Manager (possibly area manager?) who eventually offered me two choices:
-replacement with a 14" iBook G4
-replacement with a 12" Powerbook G4 (but only 1GHz methinks :()

before I feignted I managed to get the words "power..... booooook..." out of my mouth...

So, now I will have a nice new powerbook in my hands in 2-3 weeks, god willing... And even better, they'll let me keep my ibook (when it comes back from the shop) until i recieve the powerbook!!

Problem solved :D

Hob

How often has your iBook failed ? Was it the first time ?

JohnnyKnoxville
Feb 24, 2004, 01:44 PM
I'm fairly freaked out by this. My iBook I bought last July works fine, but I am scared it is going to choke eventually. My iBook falls in the listed serial numbers. I bought it through a leasing company, it is a two year lease. Is there anything that actually causing this to happen in regards to how it is used or is it just chance? Seems that if they are all built the same way they will all eventually fail.:(

Dude your lucky you got a PowerBook. I wonder how many instances they are going to allow like that? Guess your machine has to actually die before they will do anything.

hob
Feb 24, 2004, 03:09 PM
How often has your iBook failed ? Was it the first time ?

2nd time. I just wasn't happy to have it happening again!

Originally posted by JohnnyKnoxville
I'm fairly freaked out by this. My iBook I bought last July works fine, but I am scared it is going to choke eventually. My iBook falls in the listed serial numbers. I bought it through a leasing company, it is a two year lease. Is there anything that actually causing this to happen in regards to how it is used or is it just chance? Seems that if they are all built the same way they will all eventually fail.:(

Dude your lucky you got a PowerBook. I wonder how many instances they are going to allow like that? Guess your machine has to actually die before they will do anything.
I guess I got lucky!

Nothing sets it off - it's entirely random. I suggest you just ride out the lease, then hire something else - if it breaks isn't it down to the leasing company?

john123
Feb 25, 2004, 02:18 AM
I have to say, logic board problems in general seem eerily prevalent. The logic board on my PB 667 DVI fried just out of warranty too, which is a pretty expensive repair.

It's very frustrating...but then again, I suppose it makes the case for buying AppleCare, too! I didn't on the DVI model but, after learning that lesson, I did for my 1Ghz TiBook...

ashleyrm
Mar 3, 2004, 10:38 AM
Took in my ibook (IBOOK 14.1 900/256/40/CMBO/AP/) to authorized apple dealer on Friday after screen went funky and then black. Replaced logic board and got it back yesterday. By last night the screen was going funky again. ERGGGGGHHHH!!! I guess it might be the wire thing that others are writing about. Anyway, its back to the apple dealer again. My ibook is NOT covered under the serial numbers, but is still under one year warranty until September. I feel as if I'm being forced to buy apple care to fix something that apple knows is a problem. Maybe by September they'll add more serial numbers!

Becky

hob
Mar 3, 2004, 11:24 AM
I feel as if I'm being forced to buy apple care to fix something that apple knows is a problem. Maybe by September they'll add more serial numbers!

You and several thousand other iBook G3 owners, beckster! I kicked up a fuss and they upgraded me to a machine with (i hope) less problems...

Good luck with your replacement(s)!

WinDoze9t8
Mar 3, 2004, 04:45 PM
I called Apple UK in November about the screen issue on my ibook-1 month out of warrenty. Customer Serrvice person I spoke to was aware that I own 9 macs, which, at the time were all within the 1 year warnety period. He suggested that if I covered the 9 macs with apple care, apple would fix my ibook for free, other wise it would cost me at least 200. Natraly I said no. and that was that, until 2 weeks ago. Since november i used the ibook with a projector. I called apple recntly about the extended warrenty program and apple agreed to fix it under this program. The machine was collected the next day and returned with in week. yippee

RobStar
Mar 3, 2004, 06:28 PM
I dropped my wife's iBook off at the local Apple retail store for the logic board repair and it was delivered back to us repaired within four days from Apple. I think that is extremely good turn-around.

DavPeanut
Mar 4, 2004, 06:51 PM
Mine blew yesterday, and while I'm happy apple will fix it, i dont like the fact that it blew at all, since that computer is my life. I luckly got it working enought to make it a firewire drive for the iMac (hold T on the broken comp), and so i got off all the important stuff (school work, 2.6 GB music, etc.), but it still sux. My mom is bring it to the Tyson's Apple store, and it'll get shipped from there. I hope its back FAST, cause i need it. Mine was under Applecare anyway, so no big deal.

zyuzin4
Mar 4, 2004, 07:18 PM
I dropped my wife's iBook off at the local Apple retail store for the logic board repair and it was delivered back to us repaired within four days from Apple. I think that is extremely good turn-around.

ok, what the heck. Did you use the extended warranty logic board repair program, or was your computer still under apple care? I am asking because maybe the iBooks still under apple care take precedence. I dropped my iBook off at the Valley Fair Apple retail store on 2/15. I wasn't given a repair number so the only way I have to check my status is to call the store its self and have them tell me to try "option 4" on the automated phone system. I called on the 24th and they said it was in progress. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is taking so long! I was told 5-7 days when I dropped it off, I added a couple days to their estimate based on being a Sunday and the following day a holiday, they wouldnt have been able to send it out right away.

DavPeanut
Mar 12, 2004, 05:00 PM
Mine blew yesterday, and while I'm happy apple will fix it, i dont like the fact that it blew at all, since that computer is my life. I luckly got it working enought to make it a firewire drive for the iMac (hold T on the broken comp), and so i got off all the important stuff (school work, 2.6 GB music, etc.), but it still sux. My mom is bring it to the Tyson's Apple store, and it'll get shipped from there. I hope its back FAST, cause i need it. Mine was under Applecare anyway, so no big deal.

I got it back today. It seems to be fine, except for the battery. Its been plugged in for about 15 minutes, and it still has the charge symbol, but its on 0 percent. And its also still calculating the time till full. Thats really weird, plus its pretty bad, because i use this at school. Oh, now it finally got to 1%. Yay!

zyuzin4
Mar 14, 2004, 02:43 AM
I called on the 24th and they said it was in progress. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is taking so long! I was told 5-7 days when I dropped it off, I added a couple days to their estimate based on being a Sunday and the following day a holiday, they wouldnt have been able to send it out right away.

After getting the run around, the applecare automated phone thingy was out of service, so thankfully I got to talk to an actual human being who was able to give me my repair number, cause the genius didnt. He said that he knew they had my ibook for a long time, but there were so many in for repair and it was first come first served. Today I was happy to find this

03/12/2004 18:22:00 PT
Unit Shippped/Completed
03/12/2004 11:54:00 PT
Begin Testing
03/09/2004 17:36:00 PT
End Hold
02/19/2004 12:31:00 PT
Begin Repair
02/19/2004 12:28:00 PT
Unit Received
02/16/2004 20:03:00 PT
Request Acknowledged
02/16/2004 17:04:13 PT
Repair Requested

DeeJay
Apr 5, 2004, 02:37 PM
-my ibook 700 (i bought 1,5 year ago) just had a logic board problem. now the apple dealer will replace it with the new one, however i cant find any information for how long apple will evaluate the logicboard?

Here is what apple said.
"The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed".

-i bought my ibook on july 2002, does that mean my logic board program will expire on july 2005?

-Could anyone tell me about the ibook logic board repair extension program?
Im in indonesia, and apple dealer here said the have no idea about that program.

titaniumducky
Apr 5, 2004, 03:24 PM
I got it back today. It seems to be fine, except for the battery. Its been plugged in for about 15 minutes, and it still has the charge symbol, but its on 0 percent. And its also still calculating the time till full. Thats really weird, plus its pretty bad, because i use this at school. Oh, now it finally got to 1%. Yay!

Try charging it while it's asleep. They charge faster that way.

DeeJay
Apr 17, 2004, 11:20 AM
i had my ibook repaired yesterday and nothin change with the spec. its still the same spec. (for those who think they will get a newer/the latest spec, you are wrong).

kaff
Apr 29, 2004, 01:13 PM
I've just got my iBook back, with a new logic board and a brand new hard drive. Has anyone else had their hard drive replaced?
Were you warned that they might do this?

How are we supposed to do a back up with a blank screen?!

:confused:

zyuzin4
Apr 29, 2004, 02:46 PM
yeah my hard drive was replaced too. I had no data on it however as I wiped the drive earlier but no they didn't warn me or as if I had any data on the disk

CmdrLaForge
Apr 30, 2004, 05:55 AM
Hello,

Apple updated today the Logic Board Repair Program. Now serialnumbers go UV220XXXXXX to UV342XXXXXX . That means iBooks produced until October 2003. :D

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

bilbo333
Aug 21, 2004, 04:22 PM
I have a ibook G3 that is valid under this logic board repair thingy. But i had it repaired and it is working now. What does apple mean by eligible repair? Did it have to be repaired by apple or what?
thanks for you responce

CmdrLaForge
Aug 22, 2004, 07:06 AM
I have a ibook G3 that is valid under this logic board repair thingy. But i had it repaired and it is working now. What does apple mean by eligible repair? Did it have to be repaired by apple or what?
thanks for you responce
It just means that once you have a defect Logic Board you can sent it to Apple and they will repair it for free. Simple as that.

Cheers

Corozive
Aug 23, 2004, 04:35 AM
My ibook was sent off to apple to have the logic board replaced, all the problems were sorted and when it came back they had replaced 60% of the laptop all the caseing apart from the lid was changed and most of the inside.

this was great but the only down side was that it took over 9 weeks i had to constantly ring and was given dates when it would be fixed and returned but they kept changing, this was so different from the last time it was fixed for the same problem a year ago it it was sent fixed and back within 4 days !!! maybe it was because it was outside the apple care???

rogerw
Aug 23, 2004, 11:07 AM
have posted several times about this. well, apple uk have had my ibook with logic board us for 4 weeks now and that was after waiting 2weeks for a box to ship it. (third time now) ...On phone to them now, been 30 minutes so far on hold. the previous repairs were done in around 7 days which is pretty good. This time they promised me special treatment this time cos of the history and im getting plenty of that now. Unfortunatly all i want is it back, so i can go back to work.And ive spent several hours on the phone over this. Like i said before, i thought i left all this bollocks with the pc brigade. Oh theyve come back on the phone (30mins) and they want to verify the serial no. and now they have transferred me to customer services and it is now 17.07 and they've shut up shop and ive got to ring back tommorow for some more of this special treatment