Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
Ok, i've read different things different places. Some people say that can read and write to an ftp server mounted from "Connect to Server" in Finder, but i can only get read only access.

So what is the definitive word on this?

Is Finder FTP access read only, or is it just more finicky Panther networking? (or both?)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Re: Finder FTP - read only?

Originally posted by Engagebot
So what is the definitive word on this?

From Panther's documentation in help:

Note: From the Finder you connect to FTP servers with read-only access. To copy files to an FTP server, use another program such as Safari.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
My Finder can´t even read.
It just doesn´t work. Always the same error: Necessary Object not found (Error -43)
After hitting command-k and entering a totally legal ftp address... bad bad bad.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by Stike
My Finder can´t even read.
It just doesn´t work. Always the same error: Necessary Object not found (Error -43)
After hitting command-k and entering a totally legal ftp address... bad bad bad.
Works fine for me.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Works fine for me too (mounting, but not writing). I would LOVE to be able to write to these mounted FTP dirs, and I really don't know why you can't.

My quality of life would increase by a whole order of magnitude if I could just write to the local FTP mount, and not have to rely on Dreamweavers übercrappy FTP manager.

Apple's been feedbacked.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by Engagebot
works fine as in you can mount an FTP server, or works fine as in you can read and write to a mounted FTP server?
Finder FTP works fine as advertised. That is, it is read-only. It works fine as a feature used to download files from FTP sites. Quite frankly, I would prefer that the Finder allowed reads and writes, but it doesn't. I have other FTP applications for reads and writes. Interarchy actually does what the Finder does plus allowing writes. I have used Anarchie/Interarchy for more than a decade. What's not to love?

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Is there any way to mount a external FTP site in the Finder that is not read only? I would like to be able to write files to my FTP site without having to use Transmit or another FTP app or the terminal. Thanks

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
bbarnhart said:
Is there any way to mount a external FTP site in the Finder that is not read only? I would like to be able to write files to my FTP site without having to use Transmit or another FTP app or the terminal. Thanks
Use Interarchy. You can find it here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.