PDA

View Full Version : WoW and other games on new 9400M Macbook

bluemouse
Oct 15, 2008, 09:33 AM
I fully intend to hit the Apple Store this evening after work and pick up one of the new 2.4 Macbooks. I know for sure that installing WoW will be one of my first moves. I also have a blackbook with the X3100 graphics, so I will be able to do a direct framerate comparison if anyone is interested the difference in performance. If anyone has any other games/programs they would like tested, let me know here and if there's a demo/free version available, I'll put it on and let you know how it goes.

mattcube64
Oct 15, 2008, 01:25 PM
I'd really love to hear how Source games run, especially TF2 and HL2.

And if you have WAR, I'd like to hear about that, too... :p

hankolerd
Oct 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
Sounds like you have too much money. I am interested to see what your results are nonetheless. Just test all the games you have and put up results, if anyone else gets a new macbook and has other games they can just post up their results here. :apple:

ArtHistoryMajor
Oct 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
Yarr, I'm fighting the temptation to drive down to the closest Apple store and picking up one of the new Macbooks. First thing I'd throw on it would be WoW too so I'm very curious to see how it runs. 'til now I've been playing WoW on my Powerbook G4 12", so, well, any improvement for me is going to be a huge improvement. Still, it's gonna be fun to see how much much better the new Macbooks will run in things like AV and heavy PVE.

Also: Fairfax? Cool, go to Mason myself. ^_^

palebluedot
Oct 15, 2008, 02:42 PM
Test Enemy Territory: Quake Wars please (in OS X). I think if that game runs we can declare the Macbook is a gaming capable machine. :P

bluemouse
Oct 15, 2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds like you have too much money.

Nope, but computers are about the only thing I buy for myself. I'm usually a fan of the "make it last" perspective, but I have to say I've been a little disappointed by my current Macbook. I like portability in a portable, and my laptop before the Macbook was a 12-inch Powerbook G4, which I still adore; I just need more processor than it can offer. The blackbook to me feels cheap in comparison to the nice aluminum case on the Powerbook, and I have been disappointed by the X3100 despite low expectations. Therefore, aluminum Macbook + better graphics = Day One Purchase for me.

Mattcube64, I don't plan on installing Windows so I don't think I'll be able to check any of those. I spend all my time in OSX, and I really dislike rebooting for games. Sorry for being unhelpful.

ArtHistoryMajor, I graduated from Mason about two years ago, and I'm now taking classes there again. I've had some great times, but I feel like a permanent resident of the campus at this point... :) I can also run a comparison test with my 12' PB if that would be helpful to you. Mine is the last one, with the GeForce Go5200 and 786 MB of RAM.

EDIT: palebluedot, if there's a free demo I'd be happy to try that out for you. Let me know if you have any particular settings you'd like me to try or specific scenarios to test.

Cabbit
Oct 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
how about trying half life 2 under crossover games and perhaps the native version of doom 3.

bluemouse
Oct 15, 2008, 02:58 PM
babyjenniferLB, I'll see what I can do about those. I know that Crossover has a 7 day demo, so I should be able to handle that. That should answer some of your Source questions, mattcube64, at least as far as operation under Crossover is concerned. As for WAR, I don't know whether or not that has a free demo version and I can't find out from my work computer here.

Jonesy85
Oct 15, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'd also like to know how WoW plays on the new Macbook. I mostly play that, Warhammer Online, and I'll be playing Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 when they come out.

I like playing PC games, but honestly, I don't want to pay almost an extra $1000 for the pro just to play a few games. My view is if I really need to play games, I'd buy a desktop, or just take my losses and say it's not worth the extra money just to play a few pc games. I play console games too, so I'll be able to get my gaming fix from there as well.

The only real big improvement with the Pro is the video advantages, correct? If so, I really think I'll go with the Macbook.

bluemouse
Oct 15, 2008, 04:43 PM
Jonesy85, I'm in the same boat. The only game I play on my computer is WoW, so anything above a tolerable WoW experience is wasted on me. As far as I can tell, the only thing you gain with the Pro is screen real estate, a firewire port, and the better graphics chip, all at the cost of $700 and additional size and weight. As long as this Macbook performs well in WoW, I'm going to be very happy with it.

justendit
Oct 15, 2008, 06:07 PM
i was wondering about this same thing (i'm a WoW player using a powerbook g4 who is anxious to upgrade). wouldn't the extra graphics chipset in the new pro macbook help the framerate (which is my real problem with WoW)? or is that a ram thing (which you can get 4gigs of in the macbook) and the chip would only help the prettiness (which i don't care about)? if you can follow that...

Dagless
Oct 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm planning on getting a MB soon, and whilst I wasn't planning on gaming on it ('cept some Steam games like the id and Rockstar collections) it would be nice to know if TF2 runs well on it. Also planning on getting a maxed out 24" iMac for gaming in a couple of weeks too so it's no big deal if TF2 runs bad :)

Alx9876
Oct 15, 2008, 07:08 PM
I am so glad that someone is going to test out a few games with the new Macbook soon. I was waiting so goddamn long for the new Macbooks to come out that I bought a new 24 inch iMac last month instead.

I am tagging this thread for later. Let us know how WoW goes. I am actively playing this game right now.

Thanks again sir.:)

bluemouse
Oct 15, 2008, 07:08 PM
Alright, Macbook is in hand and the Blizzard downloader is hard at work. Says it should be about 5 or 6 hours. :rolleyes:

My initial impressions of the computer: pure class, all the way. Everything about it feels very solid and high-quality. Bizarrely, they've almost got me feeling like I underpaid. The black-and-silver looks good in person; I would liken it to a tuxedo. Sharp and classic.

justendit, it's a matter of tradeoffs. RAM and graphics cards will affect both the prettiness and the framerate of your games; you get to choose how much of one you are willing to sacrifice for the other. That may be an oversimplification, but it's the general idea.

palebluedot
Oct 15, 2008, 07:35 PM
Its not just a "graphics card". It is the difference between having a discrete graphics card and an integrated graphics card.

I enjoy playing WoW, TF2, ET:QW, and COD 4 and all of those except WoW require a discrete graphics card to run well or at all. So if you want to play those games with passable framerates I'd say get the MBP (if your a student you can get one for 1,400 USD with the Apple Developer Network discount).

Otherwise get the MBP. I am really curious to see how it runs WoW - I wish the thread started had quake wars - I am trying to convince my nonmac friend to buy a Macbook (the MBP is too expensive for him) but he refuses since its not powerful enough to game compared to the same computer he could get on the windows side. Let us know how it runs!

Alx9876
Oct 15, 2008, 08:36 PM
I don't want to run COD4, I have that game on the Xbox 360. Anyhow the games I want to play are WoW and Diablo 3 when it comes out. That's about it for me. I'm not a diehard cpu gamer.

But those two are the ones I want to play on the go with a laptop.

motoxpress
Oct 16, 2008, 12:09 AM
So...

Is it still d/ling? :) I too would really be interested if the source games ran on it but, someone else will have to test that I s'pose.

-mx

gkarris
Oct 16, 2008, 01:36 AM
Halo and Halo 2 please...

ReanimationLP
Oct 16, 2008, 02:42 AM
Might run a bit harder on the GPU, with Patch 3.0.2, which has some redone graphics.

My jaw dropped at how much nicer everything looked in the game at all the settings maxed at 1920x1200 on my PC with its X1950 Pro.

Shivetya
Oct 16, 2008, 06:30 AM
I fully intend to hit the Apple Store this evening after work and pick up one of the new 2.4 Macbooks. I know for sure that installing WoW will be one of my first moves. I also have a blackbook with the X3100 graphics, so I will be able to do a direct framerate comparison if anyone is interested the difference in performance. If anyone has any other games/programs they would like tested, let me know here and if there's a demo/free version available, I'll put it on and let you know how it goes.

I want to compare this new Macbook to my iMac (2.16 with 7600GT). I would love to finally be able to replace my "desktop" with a laptop and external monitor combination... so I would only need one computer

bluemouse
Oct 16, 2008, 08:33 AM
Update:

I had to leave it downloading patches all night. That last one for Wrath is about 2 gigs... Blizzard downloader took forever! Anyway, I'm on my way out the door to head to work, but I did load WoW really quickly just to make sure that it worked. It does, and it looks pretty damn good, but I'll have to wait until I get home to see just how damn good. :) ReanimationLP, just anecdotally, my blackbook seemed to be running better on 3.0.2, despite noticeable graphical improvement. That is just my impression from quickly running around Ironforge, but my wife felt the same.

TerrorOFdeath
Oct 16, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi,

I am really looking forward your testing.

At the time I am playing WOW on my Centrino 1.6 Ghz single core with an Geforce 6200. So i am realy hoping that the new MB will perform it a little better than it is with my 6200.

Besides. I am soo sick of Windoof^^

I mean i dont think that the 9400m will be such an performance boost.. Right now I play on 1280x800 no AA/AF but everything on medium. And it runs at 15 frames which is ok to play.. If it could run the same way i would be pretty happy.
I heard that an game like WoW performs even better on an mac than it does on an Windows client? is that true??
I mean is the image quality the same?? From an optical view?

Maybe someone can say something for my case? :-)

Thanks in forward for any answers.

And thanks too for an test with the Wow on an MB. Maybe you be even abel to make some screenshots or even an video ;-)?

Greez TOD

Shivetya
Oct 16, 2008, 09:29 AM
Terror,

Well I will say this, I use an iMac, 2.13C2D with a 7600GT discreet video card backed up with 3gb of RAM. I play with everything maxed at 1900x1200 (or whatever the max is on 24"... 1920?). Anyway, I have run one full screen session just fine and 2 windowed ones in the background (both were minimal settings) and had no performance problems. In other words, I multibox on my mac.

I would love to be able to buy the new MB 2.4 and replace my iMac with a laptop and external monitor. Meaning I need tests at 1920x1200 as well. I have a feeling only a MBP is what will work but I am not paying that kind of money for ANYONE's laptop.

Oh, if you play WOW on a mac go immediately into keybindings and turn unbind all references to movie recording. Believe me, it will save you in the end

motoxpress
Oct 16, 2008, 09:50 AM
Oh, if you play WOW on a mac go immediately into keybindings and turn unbind all references to movie recording. Believe me, it will save you in the end

This affects performance?

-mx

bluemouse
Oct 16, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hi,

And thanks too for an test with the Wow on an MB. Maybe you be even abel to make some screenshots or even an video ;-)?

Greez TOD

TOD, I can definitely do screenshots, but I'm not sure anything other than the small yellow framerate number will be very useful in them. I've never played WoW on Windows, but I don't see any reason why it should look better or worse. As long as the settings are the same, it should look the same. The few caveats I am aware of are that I hear Windows gets slightly better framerates, and something about a certain lighting effect not performing well on the Mac. I generally prefer framerate to eye candy, so I can't claim to have messed with the lighting effects very much. I don't think video would be any help to anybody; it's going to look exactly like every other video ever taken of WoW, and the act of recording video would negatively impact the framerate, making a framerate comparison invalid.

motoxpress
Oct 16, 2008, 10:04 AM
Unfortunately, WoW does play better in Windows than in OS X on my MBP. Apparently the Nvidia drivers in OS X are not that great.

-mx

Shivetya
Oct 16, 2008, 10:20 AM
This affects performance?

-mx

No, it just that it is very easy to start recording a movie you didn't mean to. Worse if you use Timemachine and find out your "movie" directory is 100gb :P

blurredline
Oct 16, 2008, 01:55 PM
Ever get those tests w/WoW done? I'd love to know how it runs.

bluemouse
Oct 16, 2008, 02:00 PM
Ever get those tests w/WoW done? I'd love to know how it runs.

Still at work! I should be getting out of here in a few hours, and then it will take a little more time to do some testing. I wouldn't expect anything before around 10:00 PM Eastern.

tiselday
Oct 16, 2008, 02:02 PM
Could you also give us some info about how hot the machine gets and/or how noisy the fans are? This is really crucial for me :)

Just for the reference, I play on a MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.33 MHz, with Radeon X1600, conected to a 20" Apple Display (1680x1050). Although the machine is surely able to put +40 fps if I would bother, the noise of the fans blowing at full speed really annoys me, so I need to limit the framerate in WoW

/console maxfps 18

makes the trick for me and the computer stays calm and collected. Could you please investigate this a bit and tell us which is the magic fps number that makes the new Macbook quite while playing wow? (of course, I would be different if you run on a 1280x800 resolution, but still is a valid information).

Thanks in advance!

shortyjj
Oct 16, 2008, 02:46 PM
I'm gonna take ye olde copy of WoW, dust it off and try installing on the new 2.0 MB, skipping the installation of the expansion and subsequent patches, and post results of at least that tonight.

bluemouse
Oct 16, 2008, 02:58 PM
Could you also give us some info about how hot the machine gets and/or how noisy the fans are? This is really crucial for me :)

I would be happy to do that. I might be able to get an actual fanspeed from iStat for you; that might be more helpful than my subjective opinion about loud versus quiet.

I'm gonna take ye olde copy of WoW, dust it off and try installing on the new 2.0 MB, skipping the installation of the expansion and subsequent patches, and post results of at least that tonight.

How is it possible to skip the patches? Even if you don't plan on running BC and you just want standard, no-expansion WoW, they should still require you to download all the content patches before connecting to a server, correct?

bluemouse
Oct 16, 2008, 06:25 PM
Okay, I've gotten the chance to test WoW!

First, the methodology: I logged in my character on the new Macbook 2.4 with 2 gigs of RAM and the 9400M. I then logged in my wife's character on a white Macbook 2.2 with 2 gigs of RAM and the X3100. The only practical difference between the two is the graphics chip. I confirmed that the graphics settings were identical on both computers (set completely to low). I then took both characters to the exact center of the middle bridge in Ironforge and faced the bank. This is a high-population area and tends to make my framerates dip. With the characters standing literally on top of each other, I checked their respective framerates.

Honestly, I'm utterly amazed by the difference. The white Macbook is hovering between 10-15 FPS: not great, but playable. The new Macbook is between 45-50 FPS. A huge difference. I also decided to see what I could do to make the new Macbook equal the framerate of the old by turning everything on and up to max. With everything, and I mean everything, on and cranked as far as graphic options go, the new Macbook never dipped below 30 FPS. Fantastic performance from this laptop, as far as I'm concerned. I also took myself to Shattrath and flew around a bit, at a framerate of mid-20s at worst, again with every graphics option on. So far, I'm very pleased with this performance.

EDIT: As for the fan, I've been running WoW for some time now, and the noise is not noticeable. If I turn off the game sounds, it's a lower-pitched whooshing as compared to the high drone of the other Macbook. According to iStat Nano, I'm running at 38 degrees and 5415 RPM on the fan.

0makol16
Oct 16, 2008, 07:01 PM
That is great news for gaming on the new macbooks. Also I'm wondering if anyone has tried playing WAR, CnC3, or battlefield 2 using bootcamp because from the results of the WoW fps has me thinking that it can run these games pretty well. btw I'm new to macrumors.

Jonesy85
Oct 16, 2008, 07:19 PM

First, the methodology: I logged in my character on the new Macbook 2.4 with 2 gigs of RAM and the 9400M. I then logged in my wife's character on a white Macbook 2.2 with 2 gigs of RAM and the X3100. The only practical difference between the two is the graphics chip. I confirmed that the graphics settings were identical on both computers (set completely to low). I then took both characters to the exact center of the middle bridge in Ironforge and faced the bank. This is a high-population area and tends to make my framerates dip. With the characters standing literally on top of each other, I checked their respective framerates.

Honestly, I'm utterly amazed by the difference. The white Macbook is hovering between 10-15 FPS: not great, but playable. The new Macbook is between 45-50 FPS. A huge difference. I also decided to see what I could do to make the new Macbook equal the framerate of the old by turning everything on and up to max. With everything, and I mean everything, on and cranked as far as graphic options go, the new Macbook never dipped below 30 FPS. Fantastic performance from this laptop, as far as I'm concerned. I also took myself to Shattrath and flew around a bit, at a framerate of mid-20s at worst, again with every graphics option on. So far, I'm very pleased with this performance.

EDIT: As for the fan, I've been running WoW for some time now, and the noise is not noticeable. If I turn off the game sounds, it's a lower-pitched whooshing as compared to the high drone of the other Macbook. According to iStat Nano, I'm running at 38 degrees and 5415 RPM on the fan.

Sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

iTurbo
Oct 16, 2008, 07:20 PM
Anybody get a chance to try COD 4 (OSX) on the new Macbook yet?

eXan
Oct 16, 2008, 07:22 PM

If this is true (both about FPS and fan/temp), then this is just A M A Z I N G! O_O

bluemouse
Oct 16, 2008, 07:37 PM
Okay, the Halo 1 demo ran just fine. No noticeable frame drops, but there was some screen tearing. I don't know how normal that is or how much of an issue that would be in actual use, but it was there. I'm downloading Portal right now through CrossOver; I'll let everyone know how that turns out.

motoxpress
Oct 16, 2008, 07:37 PM
Very interesting indeed. Even with my MBP I get slow performance in Shatt. so this is encouraging. Really want to know what it would do with the source games.

-mx

bluemouse
Oct 16, 2008, 09:30 PM
Portal in CrossOver works great. I was able to use upper-medium graphics settings with no noticeable negative effects. There again was some screen tearing, more than in Halo actually, but I'm sure there is an option somewhere in there that would fix it. Judging from that, I would say that Source engine games should do fine.

ChrisN
Oct 16, 2008, 09:35 PM
Can you give some frame rates please I need some raw numbers:D. Also, do you have tf2 or can you try any shooter games?

Thanks BlueMouse your results have been very important and I am considering getting a MB instead of a MBP.

ChrisN

blurredline
Oct 16, 2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks a tonne for the information! Great to see that the MB is finally cut out for some mild gaming. Anyone with a MBP try WoW?

pianoplayer1
Oct 16, 2008, 09:43 PM
Okay, the Halo 1 demo ran just fine. No noticeable frame drops, but there was some screen tearing. I don't know how normal that is or how much of an issue that would be in actual use, but it was there. I'm downloading Portal right now through CrossOver; I'll let everyone know how that turns out.

Thats a bad test tho, because the demo is using rosetta and isnt universal. A better test would be using the full universal version.

scottintosh
Oct 16, 2008, 09:57 PM
Thats a bad test tho, because the demo is using rosetta and isnt universal. A better test would be using the full universal version.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. The universal version gave very big speed improvements.

bluemouse
Oct 16, 2008, 10:06 PM
Can you give some frame rates please I need some raw numbers:D. Also, do you have tf2 or can you try any shooter games?

Thanks BlueMouse your results have been very important and I am considering getting a MB instead of a MBP.

ChrisN

I have no idea how to display frame rates in anything other than WoW. A casual Google did not turn up any immediate suggestions for Halo. If anyone can provide more information, I'd be happy to try. Unfortunately, I play almost nothing other than WoW on my laptop. The only reason I had Portal was because I downloaded it to play through on a different computer, and Steam is awesome and let me download it again. :) If you can suggest anything free that I might run, like a demo or something, I'll definitely try it.

I am aware of that limitation, but the demo is all I have access to. Any better suggestions are of course welcome.

0makol16
Oct 16, 2008, 10:28 PM
If you can suggest anything free that I might run, like a demo or something, I'll definitely try it.

can you try the Command and Conquer 3 demo or battlefield 2 demo for PC?

bluemouse
Oct 16, 2008, 10:47 PM
can you try the Command and Conquer 3 demo or battlefield 2 demo for PC?

If it will run in CrossOver, I'll try it. I don't have a Windows disc, so if it isn't Mac native or emulatable, I can't do anything with it.

0makol16
Oct 16, 2008, 10:53 PM
Im pretty sure crossover supports the battlefield 2 demo, but Im not sure about the command and conquer demo

theskunk
Oct 16, 2008, 11:11 PM
anybody know if/when any major players will actually do a break down with frame-rates for everything? I'm wondering about Team Fortress 2 specifically -- portal w/ crossover sounds promising...

Do you happen to have Half Life two?!

motoxpress
Oct 16, 2008, 11:57 PM
Crossover is not really a good test for windows games. Compatibility issues galore and it's not DX10 compatible either.

I would just take the information given from the WoW test and be encouraged that it most likely will run a lot of these games well at medium settings.

-mx

TerrorOFdeath
Oct 17, 2008, 02:21 AM
Hi there,

Thank you bluemouse. This is realy great news :-)

But i just read this article: http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review

IF the difference is truely THIS huge. Jeez. I guess i will go with the MBP. I mean de difference is just 200$. I was planning to get the MB with backlight keyboard.

Can you state your opinion on this matter bluemouse? Is the view angle really this bad?

Thanks againe for your testing. I wonder... with the new patch now its possible to activate better shadows. It cost pretty much more performance, so I heard....
I guess you didnt test this, did you?

TOD

tiselday
Oct 17, 2008, 04:55 AM

These are wonderful news! Thanks a lot for your insight. Can I bother you a bit more? *begs* :)

Could you report the iStat RPM fan value at idle, then play with

/console maxfps N

until you find the N value which makes RPM = RPM idle? (i.e. the maximun FPS for the system to remain at low load).

As I said, I play in a very quiet enviroment and that means quite a lot for me :)

/bow
/farewell

Shivetya
Oct 17, 2008, 05:25 AM
Hi there,

Thank you bluemouse. This is realy great news :-)

But i just read this article: http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review

IF the difference is truely THIS huge. Jeez. I guess i will go with the MBP. I mean de difference is just 200$. I was planning to get the MB with backlight keyboard.
TOD

$200 difference? I thought the difference was $400 from top end MB to bottom end MBP

asphyxiafeeling
Oct 17, 2008, 05:27 AM
adding my experiences: (standard 2.0Ghz macbook)

WoW BC 3.0.2

detail set to "good".

consistent 35-40 FPS outdoors, 50+ indoors. lowest it drops is 25 FPS for me.

very good performance.

i hear no noise whatsoever, so if anyone is concerned about that, don't be (in my experiences).

9400M= in every way superior. it definitely destroys my old 7300GT i had in my desktop.

TerrorOFdeath
Oct 17, 2008, 06:25 AM
$200 difference? I thought the difference was $400 from top end MB to bottom end MBP

Ah ok. Yes its 400 bucks. My bad ;-)

Still. 400 for a much better display quality...
The question I am asking myself is: Lets say u use the MBP with the 9400M does that mean that the 9600Gt will be completely deactivated, so that the battery wont be affected by the life duration. Also it would mean that it doesnt get hot, and because of that the fans will not go on like they would with the 9600gt on active mode.

You get what i mean right? :-)

TOD

skye12
Oct 17, 2008, 07:47 AM
New MB's graphics are supposed to be 4-5 times faster, but you might
be better off with a MBP if games are your thing.

Cander
Oct 17, 2008, 08:02 AM
Over at Massively.com they have a couple videos of Warhammer Online running on High Quality on the 2.4 MacBook and it was running great. Probably would stil need to lowe rsettings if you do any PvP but it showed how well the new MBs are for gaming. Don't have the direct link as it is blocked here at work, but it is on the first page at www.massively.com.

Shivetya
Oct 17, 2008, 08:07 AM
Anyone drive an external monitor with the 9400GM yet? Like at 1920x1200 :P

I am looking to replace my iMac (7600gt series) with a laptop/external lcd setup.

bluemouse
Oct 17, 2008, 08:21 AM
Can you state your opinion on this matter bluemouse? Is the view angle really this bad?

Thanks againe for your testing. I wonder... with the new patch now its possible to activate better shadows. It cost pretty much more performance, so I heard....
I guess you didnt test this, did you?

TOD

I can report that my experience does not in any way resemble that of the Gizmodo reviewer. Quite the opposite, actually; I have noted improved viewing angles compared to my Macbook. I don' t know what would cause such a difference, but my screen looks a lot better than that. I'll get some pictures of a DVD playing later tonight, and we'll see how they come out. I did test the new WoW shadows; they were included in any test where I said the graphics were set to max.

eifer
Oct 17, 2008, 09:18 AM
Anyone drive an external monitor with the 9400GM yet? Like at 1920x1200 :P

I am looking to replace my iMac (7600gt series) with a laptop/external lcd setup.

Is it possible for a Macbook (not pro) to do video out to a monitor and do over 1280x800? I thought it was impossible and 1280x800 was maximum supported resolution.

zroe
Oct 17, 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all your hard work Bluemouse

You never mentioned the resolutions you were running your tests at. I assume native res, but could you post exactly what res. Thanks a bunch.

Shivetya
Oct 17, 2008, 10:28 AM
Is it possible for a Macbook (not pro) to do video out to a monitor and do over 1280x800? I thought it was impossible and 1280x800 was maximum supported resolution.

From their site

Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

eifer
Oct 17, 2008, 12:22 PM
From their site

Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

oh wow.. this is excellent. So I can hook a macbook up to my 19" screen at 1440x900? if it could play world of warcraft at that resolution with a decent framerate, that'd seal the deal for me

bluemouse
Oct 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all your hard work Bluemouse

You never mentioned the resolutions you were running your tests at. I assume native res, but could you post exactly what res. Thanks a bunch.

I apologize for the oversight; yes, everything was run at native resolution.

zroe
Oct 17, 2008, 04:03 PM
I apologize for the oversight; yes, everything was run at native resolution.

So 1280x800? Thanks

open0source
Oct 17, 2008, 09:40 PM
Greatly encouraged by your framerates, I've finally taken the plunge! I'm going to be a Mac owner in just a few short days when my shiny new Macbook arrives. Thanks a ton for the info, Bluemouse :D

Update - CRAP. Just got news that iMacs will be updated a month sooner than I expected. Canceled my order, I'll be waiting for a little while longer, I guess.

thezerox
Oct 18, 2008, 04:25 AM
open0source: do you have a link to this news?

unchecked
Oct 18, 2008, 04:54 AM
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/17/due_next_from_apple_refreshed_20__and_24_inch_imacs.html

I'd still get the macbook when it's hit stores in my area simply because it's.. well a laptop. It's good if it's mobile and plays WoW.

shortyjj
Oct 18, 2008, 01:27 PM
6 hours to download the first WoW patch (1.12)? WTF.

Cander
Oct 18, 2008, 05:16 PM
Ok. I got my 2.4 MacBook last night. Today as an ultimate test I setup Boot Camp with XP then installed the Vanguard Saga of Heroes trial. At 1280x800, Render Quality on High and Textures it ran pretty smooth. I even had Volumetric clouds on which is a hog. But the fan did kick in full speed as it started to get pretty hot.

Vanguard is a notorious resource hog so I hope this is a good test of how well the new 9400m actually is.

motoxpress
Oct 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
Oh, that's very special...NOW WHERE IS THE SOURCE GAMES TESTING! :D

-mx

rjboger
Oct 19, 2008, 07:24 AM
well well. My macbook is arriving on tuesday according to fedex. i couldn't wait so I went and bought one at the apple store. Play WOW all the time in Burning Steeps would get 15-20 FPS with all settings on Low. Now with all settings on Med or high I get 40-45 YAY I AM IN LOVE:eek:

zepharus
Oct 19, 2008, 08:46 AM
Very interesting indeed. Even with my MBP I get slow performance in Shatt. so this is encouraging. Really want to know what it would do with the source games.

-mx

With WoW please remember that it came out in 2004 .. it is a very CPU dependant game also. Vid card helps, but even with the 4870 X2 in windows, shat is mid 40s for me... meaning dont judge it by shat. Go to a secluded but dense area and judge that way.

Im wondering if this beats the gateway I have with the mobility 2400HD pro!

findnemo
Oct 19, 2008, 12:18 PM
The new 3.02 patch KILLED my performance with a first generation macbook pro with a x1600. Before I was getting 45-50 in shatt and now I'm hitting 18 fps......

Before I could do medium settings and now I have to set everything to low at 1440x900.......the new gfx engine they put in with the shadows is crippling my macbook pro.

I'm jealous to hear you guys are getting 40ish fps on the new macbook with the same patch.

Jonesy85
Oct 19, 2008, 09:51 PM
I just ordered my 2.4 Macbook. I have quite a few games I can test out once I get it. I have:

WoW
Warhammer Online
The Witcher
Final Fantasy XI

I have a few other MMO's, but I doubt I'll pay the $15 monthly fee to test them out.

Are all of you who are playing WoW on the new Macbook still happy with its performance?

OZMP
Oct 19, 2008, 10:50 PM
Unfortunately, WoW does play better in Windows than in OS X on my MBP. Apparently the Nvidia drivers in OS X are not that great.

-mx

I have a macpro with nVidia 8800gt.
WoW plays more smoothly and with a nicer 'look' to it under OSX, FPS is the same if not higher under OSX.

That is Booting from a seperate hard driver with XP

Shivetya
Oct 20, 2008, 05:22 AM
With WoW please remember that it came out in 2004 .. it is a very CPU dependant game also. Vid card helps, but even with the 4870 X2 in windows, shat is mid 40s for me... meaning dont judge it by shat. Go to a secluded but dense area and judge that way.

Im wondering if this beats the gateway I have with the mobility 2400HD pro!

OK, what is wrong with your computer?

I get 40 to 45fpsin Shat on an 2.16C2D 7600GT equipped iMac.

This is with 1920x1200. Now if I spin silly I might slow it down on first spin... but damn, my 8800gt PC gets 60fps (capped to refresh of 24" lcd) with 1920x1200 and all options maxed (except for that weird lighting one)

findnemo
Oct 20, 2008, 08:28 AM
^^ My GTX260 overclocked to 280 levels on a 4gb 1100mhz, 4.0 ghz E8400 gets 45-50 fps at 19x12 on everything maxed.......

Patch 3.02 brought some demanding things to the graphics engine so I don't know how you are getting those numbers with a 7600gt.....at 19x20.....max.....

lasuther
Oct 20, 2008, 10:59 AM
I downloaded WoW onto my 2.0 MacBook last night. With graphics turned up to maximum, I was getting 25+ fps in Stormwind. Extremely impressed with the performance.

TFMTASAD
Oct 20, 2008, 11:19 AM
I play on a very high population server and in Stormwind (main trading hub) with hundreds of people running around I rarely dipped below 40 fps on my new MB 2.4 4gb ram

Monkaaay
Oct 20, 2008, 12:02 PM
I play on a very high population server and in Stormwind (main trading hub) with hundreds of people running around I rarely dipped below 40 fps on my new MB 2.4 4gb ram

Now that's nice to hear! I also play in a very high population realm and when I'm in major cities, the framerate slows to a crawl. I'm on a year old MBP with 4GB of RAM. It has the 8600M GT video card.

IanC
Oct 20, 2008, 01:03 PM
WoW players - are you turning the full screen glow off? From what ive heard (and going by when i turned it on to test) it lowers FPs quite a bit when its on, and tbh i dont like how it looks so i always turn it off.

Jack Flash
Oct 20, 2008, 01:20 PM
Now that's nice to hear! I also play in a very high population realm and when I'm in major cities, the framerate slows to a crawl. I'm on a year old MBP with 4GB of RAM. It has the 8600M GT video card.

Unfortunately the 8600M is far faster than the 9400M

hankolerd
Oct 20, 2008, 01:36 PM
Has anyone been able to test the new MacBook or MacBook Pro on something other than World of Warcraft? :apple:
COD4?
Steam games?

motoxpress
Oct 20, 2008, 01:38 PM
+1

Has anyone been able to test the new MacBook or MacBook Pro on something other than World of Warcraft? :apple:
COD4?
Steam games?

TFMTASAD
Oct 20, 2008, 06:30 PM
WoW players - are you turning the full screen glow off? From what ive heard (and going by when i turned it on to test) it lowers FPs quite a bit when its on, and tbh i dont like how it looks so i always turn it off.

I always turn it off, it makes the game look like crap AND lowers performance

motoxpress
Oct 20, 2008, 06:32 PM

That's why I played it on XP/Bootcamp...I could turn everything on without a problem.

-mx

rbarris
Oct 21, 2008, 10:35 PM
The ful screen glow effect was heavily optimized in 2.4.x; it's trivial to see what the impact is on your FPS by just turning it on and off. On 8600/8800 chipsets the impact is pretty minor compared to older versions of the game.

Mina3088
Oct 22, 2008, 01:02 AM
Its not just a "graphics card". It is the difference between having a discrete graphics card and an integrated graphics card.

I enjoy playing WoW, TF2, ET:QW, and COD 4 and all of those except WoW require a discrete graphics card to run well or at all. So if you want to play those games with passable framerates I'd say get the MBP (if your a student you can get one for 1,400 USD with the Apple Developer Network discount).

Otherwise get the MBP. I am really curious to see how it runs WoW - I wish the thread started had quake wars - I am trying to convince my nonmac friend to buy a Macbook (the MBP is too expensive for him) but he refuses since its not powerful enough to game compared to the same computer he could get on the windows side. Let us know how it runs!

1400? Isn't it 1599 for an mbp with the student developers discount?

zroe
Oct 22, 2008, 09:06 PM
1400? Isn't it 1599 for an mbp with the student developers discount?

He is referring to the Apple Developer Connection for Students (http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html). It's a $99.00/year program for aspiring OS X developers that get help and support with designing software. You also occasionally get pre-release versions of beta OS updates. In addition, with the student membership, you get a once per lifetime purchase from the developer store. The Developer Store (http://store.apple.com/us_adc_38839) offers some pretty amazing discounts.

However, you need to factor in the 100 bucks that it cost to enter the program. Also, the discounts are lower on the consumer level hardware. For instance, the new 2.4mhz Macbook is regularly 1599; it is 1499 with the typical education discount; and its 1439 on the developer store. However it cost you 100 membership to purchase from the developer store, bringing the actual price to 1539, which is above the typical student price. So, on consumer level products, its typically not worth it.

However, on the higher end stuff its much much better. The 2.53ghz Macbook Pro is typically 2499; it is 2299 from the education store; and it's 1999 from the developer store. Factoring in the 100 membership, the actual cost is 2099, for a total savings of $200 off the education price, and $400 off the normal price.

Also, to be eligible for the program, you have to fax them a copy of your most recent transcript/course schedule and your student ID before your purchase on the developer store will go through. However, to order from the education store, no such checks are in place. At the end of the day, depending on your morals, everyone and their brother should always, at the least, order from the education store regardless of whether you are in school or not. And, if you can prove you are a real student, then you should take advantage of this 'student developer trick' once, if and only if, you are buying a pro level machine.

DGaio
Oct 23, 2008, 12:09 AM
Just a question regarding World of Warcraft: Does anyone use a macbook pro connected to an external display? If so, how does it hold in terms of performance lets say at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200? I know for the new ones it isn't possible unless you have the adapter, but i would like the know if the previous revision holds up well since in terms of performance there isn't a great diference.

OZMP
Oct 23, 2008, 10:46 AM
^^ My GTX260 overclocked to 280 levels on a 4gb 1100mhz, 4.0 ghz E8400 gets 45-50 fps at 19x12 on everything maxed.......

Patch 3.02 brought some demanding things to the graphics engine so I don't know how you are getting those numbers with a 7600gt.....at 19x20.....max.....

v-sync caps me to 60fps everything max'd on the machine and 23" ACD in my sig, it dips maybe 10fps in shat, this is on a very busy server, I have heard more ram actually helps when it is a fps drop around other players only :confused:

7on
Oct 23, 2008, 11:54 AM
Braaaaaaaiiins!

mayanka89
Oct 24, 2008, 04:30 AM
COD4?
Steam games?

On my new 2.4 Macbook, the HL2 Lost Coast stress test gave me 53 fps. And in HL2 Ep 2, I just played the first 5 minutes at very high texture settings, 2x AA, 2x anisotropic filtering, and everything else on highest possible (besides motion blur which I dislike). In that, I had no slow down or tearing noticeable. This is very fast - I think on the same if not higher level than my desktop 7800GT. I'll run the stress on my 7800GT and see how that compares when my roommate is not sleeping (that thing is a turbine).

KevinRightWing
Oct 24, 2008, 12:07 PM
For those that have a new Macbook Pro or Macbook, are you playing in clamshell mode with an external monitor?

tYsopz
Oct 24, 2008, 06:02 PM
I had a friend of me run some WoW tests for me since I was unsure if I should go with the MBP or the 2.0 MB (2.4 is so close to MBP in price it's not worth it imo). I had him do some flying in Outlands and arenas, and he told me he could run near maxed out settings and still have 40+ FPS. I also told him to do some testing using the built-in recorder in WoW, and with settings at mid/low (except spell and resolution which were high) he said he was doing 30+ FPS without too much problems.

I ended up getting a MB since the MBP is more expensive and since it will primarily be for school and then the size & weight matters.

I don't think the MB will have problems running WotLK raid instances with decent settings. About SC2 for those who wonder, rbarris stated earlier (although this is not official) that he believed it would run on any Nvidia equipped intel mac, which means 7300GT and X1600, both of which are equal or slower than the 9400 mGPU.

cluthz
Oct 24, 2008, 06:34 PM

I'm on a highpop server too and with 1xmulti sampling and rest turned pretty high up I get 100-150 fps in SW.. I do also have a 8600mGT and 4GB ram. 40 seems low in SW, 40 is more what i get in Shattrath.

Xexis
Oct 24, 2008, 10:25 PM
I know this is a longshot but I currently want to know if AoC would play on the new MacBook cause I'm going to be buying one sometime in december.

My topic never got another post so I'm guessing no one has tried either in bootcamp or crossover :(

jaysonx
Oct 25, 2008, 11:10 PM
Just wanted to post my experience. I purchased a base model MB (2.0ghz / 2gigs ram).

I like to play all of my games at 60fps or so, and I run WOW on this machine at low quality across the board, but with view distance set to the furthest it will go. I rarely drop below 60fps. Very happy with the performance! This is a great machine for WOW.

When I jacked everything to high, I was still getting solid 30-45 in most areas without a problem.

tominated
Oct 26, 2008, 03:00 AM
can anybody test crysis/crysis warhead? i'd like to kknow if it runs at all, unlike my family's 5 year old win pc

purplewarlock
Oct 26, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'm getting great results too, got settings on medium, getting 25-55fps in IF, usually around 45fps. It is very playable, and you can get higher (55+) consistently if you use low settings in most situations.

I will say the fan kicks in after about 10 minutes, but no big deal.

I originally played WoW in a 1st gen MBA, and that wasn't working so well. I was able to play it, but eventually it got just a bit too annoying even with every possible trick (Coolbook, fans, etc). I'd be really curious what the 2nd gen MBA does, but I went ahead and switched to the 2.0 Macbook (2GB memory, HDD) and it works great.

cluthz
Oct 26, 2008, 07:26 PM
I know this is a longshot but I currently want to know if AoC would play on the new MacBook cause I'm going to be buying one sometime in december.

My topic never got another post so I'm guessing no one has tried either in bootcamp or crossover :(

AoC runs crap on the MBP with 8600mGT, it will run even more crap on a MB with 9400.
And do even people play AoC anymore? I thought the game died after two months of release :P

cluthz
Oct 26, 2008, 07:30 PM
can anybody test crysis/crysis warhead? i'd like to kknow if it runs at all, unlike my family's 5 year old win pc

According to pcmag the MB with 2.4GHz was able to get 13.2 FPS with 1024x768 with medium settings.
The 2.0 will perform slightly worse.

Basically, it can play it,but it's not playable :p

nubee
Oct 26, 2008, 09:55 PM
I just ordered my 2.4 Macbook. I have quite a few games I can test out once I get it. I have:

Final Fantasy XI

Oooo, could you please let us know how that one goes? :)

mayanka89
Oct 26, 2008, 11:43 PM
According to pcmag the MB with 2.4GHz was able to get 13.2 FPS with 1024x768 with medium settings.
The 2.0 will perform slightly worse.

Basically, it can play it,but it's not playable :p

It was playable on my Macbook 2.4 at low settings. I didn't take any measurements, but it was easily playable, and probably at or over 30 fps.

tominated
Oct 27, 2008, 06:48 AM
low settings is fine. i like the game, I don't care if the graphics suck

thsalvo
Oct 27, 2008, 09:55 AM
Oooo, could you please let us know how that one goes? :)

I run Final Fantasy XI on my 2.4 GHz Aluminum MacBook under Crossover Games 7.1.1. It runs really well, but I had to use a lot of tricks to even get it to work under Crossover. Still, it was worth the extra trouble to avoid using Windows. I don't have a way to measure FPS in FFXI, but I was getting what seemed like a solid 30FPS, on windowed mode ~1152x768. I was using 1024x1024 textures and overall mid-high settings. Granted, I wasn't doing anything too heavy. I was running around with my low-level Taru, just killing enemies in Sarutabaruta. I don't think FFXI can go over 30FPS anyway, because I was read somewhere that the game engine caps the framerate at 30.

If you're using BootCamp, I'm sure you could max it out and the game would run smoothly. Plus, you wouldn't have to put up with all of the headaches I did to get it to work! :)

Nate025
Oct 27, 2008, 01:43 PM
Here's a short video of me messing around in WOW on a new MBP 2.8/7200rpm/9600m gt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-_E7gDKZEQ

Framerates while shooting the video sat around 20-30. Normally sits between 40-60fps. All settings maxed, glow screen off, native res.

I'm still figuring out imovie so I'll post better quality vids when I get around to it. Enjoy. :)

deriko100
Oct 27, 2008, 01:44 PM
babyjenniferLB, I'll see what I can do about those. I know that Crossover has a 7 day demo, so I should be able to handle that. That should answer some of your Source questions, mattcube64, at least as far as operation under Crossover is concerned. As for WAR, I don't know whether or not that has a free demo version and I can't find out from my work computer here.

Crossover is free tomorrow the 28th thanks to Bush!

Here's a short video of me messing around in WOW on a new MBP 2.8/7200rpm/9600m gt.

Framerates while shooting the video sat around 20-30. Normally sits between 40-60fps. All settings maxed, glow screen off, native res.

I'm still figuring out imovie so I'll post better quality vids when I get around to it. Enjoy.

Sweet can you send me a direct copy of wow on the 9400m Graphics card through email? my emails greenpheonixbird (at) gmail.com, that would be awesome.

motoxpress
Oct 27, 2008, 01:46 PM
Crossover is free tomorrow the 28th thanks to Bush!

Huh? Please 'esplain

-mx

wildcardd
Oct 27, 2008, 10:08 PM
Huh? Please 'esplain

-mx
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/27/codeweavers-says-cheap-gas-free-software-tomorrow/

motoxpress
Oct 27, 2008, 11:03 PM
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/27/codeweavers-says-cheap-gas-free-software-tomorrow/

Oh cool. Thanks!

-mx

Alx9876
Oct 28, 2008, 12:31 AM

I'm still figuring out imovie so I'll post better quality vids when I get around to it. Enjoy. :)

The game looks great. I like it alot. If the regular high end Macbook can do something close to this, I'm sold.

Thank you for posting the video. I can see clearly that it's going to look very nice in person. :)

Shivetya
Oct 28, 2008, 06:52 AM
1920x1200 using the high end macbook is what I want to know.

The pro is silly overpriced for what it offers compared to the macbook let alone the other guys, so I am trying to determine if the macbook is worth while

ChrisN
Oct 28, 2008, 04:01 PM
Another video of COD4 on the macbook:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0Wd6Ddeeo

looks good to me

Nate025
Oct 28, 2008, 10:25 PM
The game looks great. I like it alot. If the regular high end Macbook can do something close to this, I'm sold.

Thank you for posting the video. I can see clearly that it's going to look very nice in person. :)

No problem, glad to get something up. More coming if I can figure out why the video recorder keeps shutting down on me. :confused:

As a follow up, with all settings up (glow screen off) I was getting an average of 40-60fps. If I change the shadow details from high to low, I get 90-120fps! :D

MindBrain
Oct 28, 2008, 10:48 PM
I intalled Eve Online on a 2.4ghz 2gig ram Macbook. Game looks very nice, runs pretty good.

Havn't tried any Steam games yet, not sure if the SP1 Win XP cd I have would work in boot camp or not. Wish steam and source games could get ported to mac os.

scottintosh
Oct 29, 2008, 03:09 PM
I just played Battlefield 2142 on my 2.4 aluminum MB, and it plays very well. I keep settings at default, Medium. I forget what the resolution was at, but it looked really good.

there were only a few stutters, but 99% of the time it was a smooth as can be.

Mitsune
Oct 29, 2008, 07:22 PM
I posted this up on another MacRumors thread (here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=587425)) and i think some people will benefit this knowledge if I post up my experience of WoW on the new Macbooks and their results here.

All these screenshots are based off on my little Macbook: 13.3" MB: 2.4 GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GB HD, NVIDIA 9400m.

World of Warcraft in:
- Alterac Valley: Starting Zone (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/av03.jpg) (and in Windowed Mode (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/av03windowed.jpg))
- Alterac Valley: Belinda Action (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/avbelinda01.jpg)
- Alterac Valley: Full on Action (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/av01.jpg) versus a Small, Semi-Battle (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/av02.jpg)
- Alterac Valley: Battles One (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/av04.jpg) and Two (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/av05.jpg)
- Arathi Basin: Blacksmith (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/ab01.jpg)
- Undercity: Random (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/undercity01.jpg)
- Windowed Mode: Laptop Snapshot (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/windowed01.jpg)

WoW's Default, Pre-Installed Video Settings: one (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/default01.jpg), two (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/default02.jpg), and three (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/default03.jpg).

A Few Tips Before Playing:
Make sure to change your F1 - F12 Keyboard Settings (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/fkeysettings.jpg) before playing.

My WoW Video Settings can be seen here (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/mitswowsettings01.jpg) and here (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/iMitsune/WoW/MacBook/mitswowsettings02.jpg).

Also, remember to put a cap on the framerate (/console maxfps 60). It makes the system run smoother and a tad bit cooler. Earlier I left the fps run crazy from 40 to 130 and the system's fans kicked in immediately and started warming the system up. I then cap my frames at 61 to refrain that from ever happening again.

I hope this help the people who are thinking about playing WoW on their new MacBooks.

Shivetya
Oct 30, 2008, 08:52 AM
Mitsune,

I understand that the new macbook can handle its native resolution fine in WOW, but honestly 1280x800 is not asking much.

Any chance you can do the same test using an external monitor at 1920x1200?

Mitsune
Oct 30, 2008, 10:41 AM
Mitsune,

I understand that the new macbook can handle its native resolution fine in WOW, but honestly 1280x800 is not asking much.

Any chance you can do the same test using an external monitor at 1920x1200?

Hm, I can try. I know a friend with an Acer 22" that's 1680x1050, but I'm not to sure of what resolution my other friend has in his Apple 20-22". I'll let you know any results after my next trip to LA; or maybe I can just bring my MB into an Apple Store for a (monitor) demo.

Shivetya
Oct 30, 2008, 12:04 PM
Hm, I can try. I know a friend with an Acer 22" that's 1680x1050, but I'm not to sure of what resolution my other friend has in his Apple 20-22". I'll let you know any results after my next trip to LA; or maybe I can just bring my MB into an Apple Store for a (monitor) demo.

lol - never thought of trying that... a monitor demo... hmm...

maxshanly
Oct 31, 2008, 05:29 AM
My MacBook arrived yesterday (2.4 GHz, 4 GB of RAM and a 320 GB HDD). I ran Boot Camp, installed Windows XP and then The Orange Box.

I'm not much of a gamer but was shocked to see that everything runs on the highest settings with no lag at all, I am so so so so so happy with my MacBook. Thank you Apple and nVidia.

ChrisN
Oct 31, 2008, 02:57 PM
My MacBook arrived yesterday (2.4 GHz, 4 GB of RAM and a 320 GB HDD). I ran Boot Camp, installed Windows XP and then The Orange Box.

I'm not much of a gamer but was shocked to see that everything runs on the highest settings with no lag at all, I am so so so so so happy with my MacBook. Thank you Apple and nVidia.

How was tf2? also what res were you playing at? How many fps were you getting?

Thanks,
ChrisN

maxshanly
Oct 31, 2008, 07:52 PM
How was tf2? also what res were you playing at? How many fps were you getting?

Thanks,
ChrisN

TF2 was brilliant, no lag at all. I was running it at 1280 x 800. Everything was at the highest setting possible, not sure how many FPS but it was obviously good enough as it was really smooth.

Alx9876
Nov 1, 2008, 02:11 AM
What is tf2?

I'm trying to track what you guys are saying but I don't understand? :)

Mitsune
Nov 1, 2008, 02:53 AM
What is tf2?

I'm trying to track what you guys are saying but I don't understand? :)

It's Team Fortress 2 (http://www.giantbomb.com/team-fortress-2/61-18162/) which is part of The Orange Box (http://www.giantbomb.com/the-orange-box/61-17729/).

It was released for PC, 360, PS3, but the best experience so far has been the PC version. It's also bundled with the highly acclaimed Portal (http://www.giantbomb.com/portal/61-21170/). You should really take a look into it if first-person shooters are your thing. :)

John Jacob
Nov 1, 2008, 05:37 AM
I've ordered a new Macbook 2.4GHz 4GB RAM, and I've got the following games that I'd like to try on it:

Quake 4
Need for Speed Carbon
Unreal Tournament 2004

All Windows versions, and all will be played on Vista 32-bit via boot camp. What will the performance be like, and what kind of settings should I use? I know the Apple website says 5x the performance of the previous Macbook for Unreal, and so on, but since the performance of the previous Macbook can't have been great (GMA X3100), what kind of real-world performance can I expect?

Cheers,
- John

dunneh
Nov 3, 2008, 07:14 AM
anyone tried fallout 3 on the aluminium macbook via bootcamp yet? I'm very curious if that will yield playable results and can't seem to find any mention of it when i google it.

mousouchop
Nov 4, 2008, 07:51 AM
I have been running it pretty well on my Aluminum Macbook. I play windowed mode because I like to surf the net and talk on iChat while I play, so I turn the resolution down to 1024 widescreen, and in places like Elwynn Forest and Westfall (started a new paladin, woo! haha) I was actually getting 100+fps, SW I got 30-50 pretty consistently. Visiting Shat on my mains has been a different experience everytime, ranging from 30-40, 15-25, or 5 fps. Not sure if it is just flukes, or due to different server loads each time.

I run with most of the video settings turned down (Except spell effects, spells look so neat with good detail) since I am playing windowed and there really isn't much I gain from being able to see a reflection on the ground or whatever else you gain from high video settings. I am in it for best FPS.

Usually get from 65-76*C (better than the 85 I was pushing on my blackbook), with 5000-6200RPM on my fan.

I however, have been experiencing lock-ups. I have had two Black Screens and 2 lock-ups that were just a total freeze, having to hard reset my computer 4 or 5 times over the past 3 days. Does anyone know if this is a problem with 3.0.2 patch, or is it my macbook?

I have a Genius apointment tomorrow and am still in my 2 week period, maybe i should switch out for a new one? x.x

davwin
Nov 4, 2008, 08:16 AM
I am playing through Fallout 3 on my new MacBook and it plays surprisingly well (1280x800 and Medium settings). I am going from memory here but I believe I set it to Bloom instead of HDR, no AA or AF (default) and turned down the water effects. The game looked pretty impressive to me even at those settings and played pretty smoothly indoors and outdoors. Not sure if there is an in-game fps setting or how to enable console to pull up the fps but it was smooth so I'd guess 25+ fps. I guess the framerate isn't as important in a game like Fallout 3 because it doesn't need exceedingly high framerates to play well (especially with the VATS system) so I hope that helps :)

fkntotalkaos
Nov 4, 2008, 12:40 PM
I have been running it pretty well on my Aluminum Macbook. I play windowed mode because I like to surf the net and talk on iChat while I play, so I turn the resolution down to 1024 widescreen, and in places like Elwynn Forest and Westfall (started a new paladin, woo! haha) I was actually getting 100+fps, SW I got 30-50 pretty consistently. Visiting Shat on my mains has been a different experience everytime, ranging from 30-40, 15-25, or 5 fps. Not sure if it is just flukes, or due to different server loads each time.

I run with most of the video settings turned down (Except spell effects, spells look so neat with good detail) since I am playing windowed and there really isn't much I gain from being able to see a reflection on the ground or whatever else you gain from high video settings. I am in it for best FPS.

Usually get from 65-76*C (better than the 85 I was pushing on my blackbook), with 5000-6200RPM on my fan.

I however, have been experiencing lock-ups. I have had two Black Screens and 2 lock-ups that were just a total freeze, having to hard reset my computer 4 or 5 times over the past 3 days. Does anyone know if this is a problem with 3.0.2 patch, or is it my macbook?

I have a Genius apointment tomorrow and am still in my 2 week period, maybe i should switch out for a new one? x.x

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4028094861&sid=1:D

mousouchop
Nov 4, 2008, 01:30 PM
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4028094861&sid=1:D

I looked through that thread and there is no mention of the Aluminum macbook. That forum was started in Jan of this year, and most of the more recent posts are dated around a week before release of the new macbook.

I guess I will just have to get a Genius' opinion on the matter tomorrow. If they think it is as rediculous as I do that a 2 week old system is locking, I am sure I will get a replacement.

I kinda hope to not get a replacement as I hav emy current system just how I like it, but if there is a hint of hardware failure this early on I would rather not deal with that for the 2-3 years I plan to own the system.

fkntotalkaos
Nov 4, 2008, 01:39 PM
I looked through that thread and there is no mention of the Aluminum macbook. That forum was started in Jan of this year, and most of the more recent posts are dated around a week before release of the new macbook.

I guess I will just have to get a Genius' opinion on the matter tomorrow. If they think it is as rediculous as I do that a 2 week old system is locking, I am sure I will get a replacement.

I kinda hope to not get a replacement as I hav emy current system just how I like it, but if there is a hint of hardware failure this early on I would rather not deal with that for the 2-3 years I plan to own the system.

2-B. The Macbook Pro

Macbook Pro with 256MB or 512MB nVidia 8600M GT Graphics Card

Display:
24-bit Color, 24-bit Depth. 2x Multisampling.
Vertical Sync: OFF
Hardware Cursor: ON
Smooth Mouse: OFF

World Appearance:
Terrain Distance: 75%.

Environmental Detail: Maximum.

Texture Resolution: Maximum.

Terrain Detail: Minimum.

Ground Clutter Density: Medium

Texture Filtering: 25% of Max

Spell Detail: Maximum.

Ground Clutter Radius: Minimum.

Weather Intensity: Maximum.

Special Effects:
Specular Lighting: ON
Full-Screen Glow Effect: OFF
Death Effect: ON/OFF (User Preference)

Miscellaneous
Cinematic Subtitles: ON/OFF (User Preference)
Character Shadows: ON
Level of Detail: OFF

Notes: Expect 80-100fps.

I would assume FPS at 28% increase to those numbers on average, "Get up to 2.3x faster performance with discrete graphics over integrated graphics."

mousouchop
Nov 4, 2008, 01:54 PM
2-B. The Macbook Pro

Macbook Pro with 256MB or 512MB nVidia 8600M GT Graphics Card

I would assume FPS at 28% increase to those numbers on average, "Get up to 2.3x faster performance with discrete graphics over integrated graphics."

I have a Aluminum Macbook 2.4 (NOT Pro) with nVidia 9400M graphics, those settings don't apply to mine. Infact, this whole thread is about the Macbook with nVidia 9400M, so-- not sure why that urged you as being relevant to my problem. And, as I stated in my last reply, that comment was made on 01/17/2008, this nVidia chip debuted three weeks ago. Not trying to be a bitch, just saying the facts.

I have all graphics settings turned down, and anything extra turned off (Shadowing, Full-Screen Glow, Death Effect, vsync, etc), I don't even play full-screen or full resolution. I am not putting the system beyond it's means at all. I am getting the best framerates I have ever seen in my WoW gaming-- aside from the full system lock-ups.

moslayne
Nov 4, 2008, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I just played call of duty 4 on a new macbook 2.4 ghz in mac OS. It ran extremely well and it looked really good. Consistent 30 fps even in fire fights.

Shivetya
Nov 5, 2008, 06:16 AM
I have all graphics settings turned down, and anything extra turned off (Shadowing, Full-Screen Glow, Death Effect, vsync, etc), I don't even play full-screen or full resolution. I am not putting the system beyond it's means at all. I am getting the best framerates I have ever seen in my WoW gaming-- aside from the full system lock-ups.

It is the graphics card overheating. Black screens is what I suffered on my Imac before it just up and died. I have a 7600gt iMac and I got a day or two of black screens in WOW out of the blue and suddenly the display stopped working.

jbrenn
Nov 5, 2008, 08:12 AM

played crysis demo on a mb 2.4 2gig in xp. it will play in a window with all setting to low. i was actually surprised it ran at all

jbrenn
Nov 5, 2008, 08:41 AM
I intalled Eve Online on a 2.4ghz 2gig ram Macbook. Game looks very nice, runs pretty good.

Havn't tried any Steam games yet, not sure if the SP1 Win XP cd I have would work in boot camp or not. Wish steam and source games could get ported to mac os.
sp1 will work. install windows download sp2 to a usb drive or cd. then install sp2 then install the drivers.

Jonesy85
Nov 9, 2008, 11:55 AM
Has anyone tried Everquest 2 on the macbook? I'm wanting to get back into that game.

Also, should I buy Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

wildcardd
Nov 10, 2008, 09:42 AM
Also, should I buy Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

I believe originally BootCamp only supported 32 bit. I don't know if that has changed or not lately.

ChrisN
Nov 13, 2008, 07:21 PM
Okay the left 4 demo is out so can someone please try that! I really want to know if the new macbook can run it and can someone try cod waw?
I really don't know if I should wait like 4 months to get a pro or wait 1 month to get the macbook.

ChrisN

blaster_boy
Nov 14, 2008, 01:06 AM

Have you tried Codeweaver's Crossover Games for Mac (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/) yet ? Steam works, and quite a few of the Source games as well (HL2, HL2 ep1, etc...) all work fine on my iMac !

junkhead
Nov 14, 2008, 03:04 AM
has anyone already picked up wrath of the lich king by any chance? cause i'm wondering if it will perform as well als the original wow does on the unibody macbook. on one hand it should, cause wrath doesn't demand much more from your computer than bc does, but you never quite know 'till you tried. any and all tests with wrath will be highly appreciated.

TonyHoyle
Nov 14, 2008, 09:28 AM
has anyone already picked up wrath of the lich king by any chance? cause i'm wondering if it will perform as well als the original wow does on the unibody macbook. on one hand it should, cause wrath doesn't demand much more from your computer than bc does, but you never quite know 'till you tried. any and all tests with wrath will be highly appreciated.

It's a new graphics engine (as TBC was as they keep updating it). I can run TBC on maxed settings on my old mbp with 8600M. Going into Northrend drops to 5fps. I had to drop all my settings a lot lower to get a decent framerate (on some of the more complex scenes it went into slideshow mode.. they've put a heck of a lot of detail into the new levels).

On the 9400 I'd expect you'd have trouble above minimum settings.

cheeseadiddle
Nov 14, 2008, 10:19 AM
Honestly, I'm utterly amazed by the difference. The white Macbook is hovering between 10-15 FPS: not great, but playable. The new Macbook is between 45-50 FPS. A huge difference. I also decided to see what I could do to make the new Macbook equal the framerate of the old by turning everything on and up to max. With everything, and I mean everything, on and cranked as far as graphic options go, the new Macbook never dipped below 30 FPS.

That's been my experience on a 2.0GHz stock aluminum MacBook too.

junkhead
Nov 14, 2008, 04:29 PM
That's been my experience on a 2.0GHz stock aluminum MacBook too.

how are your experiences in outland and maybe even wotlk? Are you getting nice fps at above medium settings?

ChrisN
Nov 15, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but I just played call of duty 4 on a new macbook 2.4 ghz in mac OS. It ran extremely well and it looked really good. Consistent 30 fps even in fire fights.

hows multiplayer? is it the same as SP

well in most games are MP and SP the same?

ChrisN

Nith
Nov 15, 2008, 10:25 AM
i know this is an old forum, but i just signed up today and wanted to say thanks to bluemouse for all the work he did on games on the AluMacBook when it first came out.

Everything works great except for WoW crashes at random. still trying to figure that out.:confused:

junkhead
Nov 15, 2008, 12:58 PM
i know this is an old forum, but i just signed up today and wanted to say thanks to bluemouse for all the work he did on games on the AluMacBook when it first came out.

Everything works great except for WoW crashes at random. still trying to figure that out.:confused:

would you care to share your wow experiences, particularly those in norterend?

Nith
Nov 15, 2008, 08:46 PM
sure. when it doesn't crash the game runs completely fine with a mix of settings on high, low and medium. graphics look overall pretty good to me. I'm also not a 'huge' gamer. i like WoW and Spore for my laptop. thats about it.

Was just gonna sign into get some FPS but the queues are ridiculous so I'll try and get a more accurate description later. however, i find no over all problems with running WoW on the AluMacBook besides the random freezes.

Alx9876
Nov 15, 2008, 11:28 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=600648

Watch the video already. World of Warcraft on New Macbook.

junkhead
Nov 17, 2008, 06:57 AM
yeah i watched that video already, but thats only original and tbc content, i'd really like to see some wotlk content performance on the new aluminium macbooks.

purplewarlock
Nov 17, 2008, 10:10 AM
Also I would add the game plays great even hooked into a big external LCD playing WoW.

On my original air, I would notice a definite (further) performance downgrade once I plugged it into an external display (even for Youtube etc) compared to just the built in computer's display. But I can verify there is no performance decrease on the new MacBook. :) Running great in all modes-- maximized, partial screen, full screen, external LCD etc. Sometimes but not often the fans will turn on a bit, and sometimes the Macbook gets a bit hot, but generally speaking it runs much cooler and quieter (and of course 5x faster fps or so) :) than my Macbook Air rev A.

This is for the 2.0Ghz Macbook. I'd imagine if anything the faster one is even slightly better but probably not much since 3d games typically are GPU constrained, not CPU.

One other thing, I added 2GB memory a few days ago too, however it didn't seem to make any difference in WoW-- it plays fine with just the default 2GB and I didn't see any speed increase. However, the 4GB makes a huge difference for Parallels/Vista, it's almost unusable without it.

Hyuga
Nov 19, 2008, 10:02 AM
Has anyone actually succeeded installing nvidia drivers (with modded inf) to windows?

I'm trying to do small performance compare with few games OS X versus Windows but problem is that bootcamp drivers what come with macbook are nvidia drivers from year 2007 so you can't really trust performance what you get from windows, especially with new games like Spore and so on..

Nikos
Nov 20, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hey guys,

Been lurking for a while but finally decided to register when I saw this post. I currently own a black MacBook. I believe it's one of the first models. It has 2Ghz C2D, 2GB memory, 160gb (upgraded those).

Anyway, WoW is currently not playable to my standards on this laptop. I own a gaming PC that I use for WoW, but I'd like to play when I'm not home sometimes.

From what I'm reading, WoW runs well for the most part, but I'm wondering if you guys are REALLY using the highest possible settings. One of my favorite recent improvements to WoW's engine is the shadow detail. I noticed that the guy who posted that video on YouTube had shadows ALL the way down. Is this necessary to for WoW to run smoothly on the new aluminum MacBook? I can deal with it not being all the way up, but I want to have it at least one tick away from max, this way there are still realtime shadows for everything, and not just dots for characters and bladn environments.

Also, I realize that when running the game at native resolution anti-aliasing isn't much of an issue, but is anybody using it?

The reason I ask these questions is because on my PC I currently run the game at 1920x1200 with everything completely maxxed out, including 24-bit color, 24-bit depth and 8x AA.

I don't expect the new aluminum MB to be able to max it all out completely, but I would definitely be satisfied if it could handle the realtime shadows and everything else on max. I could deal with no AA on the laptop.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just trying to figure out if I can get away with the regular MB instead of the MBP. Any and all help would be much appreciated!

junkhead
Nov 21, 2008, 02:29 AM
Unfortunately the new shadows have a greater impact on the performance of WoW under OS X than it has under windows. All of my mac-owning friends have the shadows turned all the way down, because by turning them up it sometimes nearly halves the fps.

yoavcs
Nov 21, 2008, 02:51 AM
Currently the Mac version of WoW only has two settings for dynamic shadows: low and high. Blizz is waiting for Apple to implement some extra OpenGL extensions so they can support a finer gradient on the shadow slider.

I am seeing an average of 35-40FPS with all settings maxed except Shadows and AA, even in the newer zones such as The Ghostlands. I have yet to upgrade to WotLK so I can't help you there.

With Shadows on, that FPS drops to 20-25. While in theory dynamic shadows are nice I find Blizz's implementation lacking in that they are too bright and hardly visible, so I see no reason to lose 15FPS over something I need to squint to see.

As for AA - it drops framerates and at native res I can't make out any visual difference, so I have it off.

I can say this MB (2.4GHz) runs WoW a little better than my iMac with a Radeon X1600 + 128MB VRAM. Which is plenty good enough for me.

Nikos
Nov 21, 2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys! I guess I could deal with shadows on low when I play on the laptop.

I have to disagree about them not making a difference though. When they're all the way up, it really does change the experience IMO, especially with some of the WotLK content. For example, I'd be walking and see a huge shadow of a dragon flying over me, or suddenly the ground would become dark and I'd realize a huge giant right behind me. Little things like that make for great moments IMO. Also, everything casts a shadow so the environments look a lot more detailed.

In any case, I'm really glad to hear that it can handle max settings otherwise. That's a huge step over the blackbook. :)

Hyuga
Nov 21, 2008, 02:55 PM
Well this is good news for everyone who plays at windows!

180.70 came out about two hours ago, and it works with MB 9400M! And during my test, Fallout3 fps almost doubled in some situations. Red Alert 3 is better also. Next coming up, Unreal Tournament 3.

PhysX is now working btw.

ps. You can notice bit too well that BootCamp drivers are over year old..

roberth1990
Nov 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
Well this is good news for everyone who plays at windows!

180.70 came out about two hours ago, and it works with MB 9400M! And during my test, Fallout3 fps almost doubled in some situations. Red Alert 3 is better also. Next coming up, Unreal Tournament 3.

PhysX is now working btw.

ps. You can notice bit too well that BootCamp drivers are over year old..

What is you fps with red alert 3, what graphic settings do you use?

Krevnik
Nov 21, 2008, 05:11 PM
Yarr, I'm fighting the temptation to drive down to the closest Apple store and picking up one of the new Macbooks. First thing I'd throw on it would be WoW too so I'm very curious to see how it runs. 'til now I've been playing WoW on my Powerbook G4 12", so, well, any improvement for me is going to be a huge improvement. Still, it's gonna be fun to see how much much better the new Macbooks will run in things like AV and heavy PVE.

Also: Fairfax? Cool, go to Mason myself. ^_^

Look at the benchmarks for WoW on the original Radeon X1600 MBPs... it is about the same, maybe a bit faster. I have one of the new MBPs (needed the FW port), and I actually beat my girlfriend's Rev A MBP on the standard settings using just the 9400M. With the 9600GT turned on, it is roughly double the speed.

ChrisN
Nov 21, 2008, 05:42 PM
I believe this is ithttp://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_180.48_whql.html

Boosts performance in numerous 3D applications. The following are some examples of improvements measured with Release 180 WHQL drivers vs. Release 178 WHQL drivers (results will vary depending on your GPU, system configuration, and game settings):
Up to 10% performance increase in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
Up to 13% performance increase in Assassin's Creed
Up to 13% performance increase in BioShock
Up to 15% performance increase in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Up to 10% performance increase in Crysis Warhead
Up to 25% performance increase in Devil May Cry 4
Up to 38% performance increase in Far Cry 2
Up to 18% performance increase in Race Driver: GRID
Up to 80% performance increase in Lost Planet: Colonies
Up to 18% performance increase in World of Conflict
And More:

ChrisN

Hyuga
Nov 21, 2008, 06:09 PM
What is you fps with red alert 3, what graphic settings do you use?

Med/High, I'm still playing with settings bit.

180.60 didn't work but 180.70 did work, I downloaded it from http://www.xfastest.com/viewthread.php?tid=16316&extra=page%3D1

dunneh
Nov 25, 2008, 11:12 AM
Hi all, I can confirm that Fallout 3 works very well on my aluminium Macbook 2.0ghz with 2gb RAM via BootCamp (WinXP)

The settings are set to Medium and I upped the resolution to max (1280x900). I set it to Bloom rather than HDR- seemed to sort out the slight framerate issue i was having and still retains the loveliness of the game. Very playable with perfectly decent framerates now (even outdoors) and a very very pretty game all round on Medium.

Oh, and a superb game!

skeley69
Nov 25, 2008, 11:32 AM
hey all

recently received my aluminium macbook 2.0GHz with 4Gb ram and im very happy with it.

one thing, has anyone played COD2 on these new macbooks? im playing it with the default settings - 1024x768 with settings set to automatic and its so jumpy! sometimes in gun fights fps falls to 15! this never happened on my old blackbook.

can anyone explain? reading all these comments i thought it would be super smooth, COD4 is on its way in the post and the doom demo ran really aweful!

cheers

foiden
Dec 13, 2008, 11:08 AM
Sounds good. Looks like that means that Guild Wars, in windows, will absolutely fly on a Macbook now. Considering, that Guild Wars performed beautifully on last gen's White Macbook with the X3100.

Still, it's understandable. The thing I love about Macbooks is their style and size. 13" Macbooks are the perfect size for travelers who often get small spaces with which to use a laptop. The 15" Pro is probably the best choice, but I've run into conditions where even that is a tad too big.

I love my Macbook, it has just the right features to become my primary workhorse, including battery life. Thing is, windows chews up the battery a good bit faster than OSX, so when I have dual-compatible games, I tend to run the mac version of it.

Still, I can't help but think that the choice of this 9400M for Macbooks is just so that they can get nearly every part of their mac line (sans Mac mini, at the moment) playing Spore at good frame rates.

Still, even with that said. I'll probably go to one of those 15" macbook pros next. I already have a Macbook and if I were to get another one, I'd have to sell this one first. I only need one of those at a time.

Nikos
Dec 27, 2008, 10:03 PM
Well, I finally picked up an aluminum MacBook and WoW kind of sucks on it. Running around WotLK content, I'm mostly in the teens and 20s as far as FPS goes with everything maxxed out, 2x AA and no glow effect.

Bringing shadows down doesn't seem to help much. I wish we could update or drivers or something. Maybe I'd be better off running it in a Windows compatibility mode.

eXan
Dec 27, 2008, 10:41 PM
Well, I finally picked up an aluminum MacBook and WoW kind of sucks on it. Running around WotLK content, I'm mostly in the teens and 20s as far as FPS goes with everything maxxed out, 2x AA and no glow effect.

Bringing shadows down doesn't seem to help much. I wish we could update or drivers or something. Maybe I'd be better off running it in a Windows compatibility mode.

omg, turn off AA. Its the performance killer on any low end card.

ChrisN
Dec 27, 2008, 11:37 PM
Yea turn off AA also do you really need to have everything maxed out?

ChrisN

cluthz
Dec 29, 2008, 07:31 AM

Knock down the viewing range to about half (half in wotlk = max in tbc btw) and turn off AA and set shadows to low, then you'll have really good fps on the MacBook.

davwin
Dec 29, 2008, 08:05 AM
WotLK on my 2.0 AluMacBook was between 64-145fps in the Death Knight starter areas and still averaged in the 60fps after getting back to Outland. I am running at the recommended settings from the WoW Mac forums. I don't have the link off-hand but it is pretty much as the others have said: A deafult resolution of 1280x800 with a mix of Med to High settings on pretty much everything with the following exceptions...

VSync off
Shadows on low (this is a bug that affects the Mac's dramatically from reading the forums)
View distance set to about half
AA off

With these settings I have had no framerate issues with WotLK on the AluMacBook and the game genuinely still looks great IMO.

Hope that helps.

ironman1478
Dec 29, 2008, 04:04 PM
hello i am new here and i have a question

do you guys know how to get Mass effect to run better on the aluminum macbook through bootcamp? i can run all source games on high (tf2, l4d, garry's mod, etc.) but i can barely run Mass effect well.

eXan
Dec 29, 2008, 07:10 PM
hello i am new here and i have a question

do you guys know how to get Mass effect to run better on the aluminum macbook through bootcamp? i can run all source games on high (tf2, l4d, garry's mod, etc.) but i can barely run Mass effect well.

Lower the graphics settings.

Dagless
Dec 29, 2008, 09:28 PM
And turn off AA and HDR if you can. Leave them for the desktop cards, except early Source engine games. Throw at them whatever you want.

So I got a Macbook and I'm really impressed by the graphics performance given its 1)Apple and 2)fairly cheap. I can throw TF2 at full settings and native res and not a drop of slowdown. Motion Blur and VSync slow it down but I don't bother with them (Motion blur makes me kinda sick anyways).

But we all know this by now :D
Runs Tormishire quite well too ;)

sutom
Jan 1, 2009, 08:11 PM
I'm planning to get a MB soon, possibly a 2.4 with 4GB ram. Games are not what I'd get it for, and I realise they can't handle much. Having said that, could anyone clarify whether the following could possibly run well enough framerate-wise to be worth trying?:

1) CSS/L4D/TF2
2) Company of Heroes + Opposing Fronts
3) Fallout 3
4) Oblivion

That would be on Vista64 via Bootcamp by the way. If I could get 30+ FPS I would be fine putting settings on low, as that's basically what I'm used to on my current old PC. If not I'll stick to Peggle until I get a new desktop, but it would be nice to take a gaming break every so often :)

Thanks!

Mackan
Jan 2, 2009, 04:42 AM
I'm planning to get a MB soon, possibly a 2.4 with 4GB ram. Games are not what I'd get it for, and I realise they can't handle much. Having said that, could anyone clarify whether the following could possibly run well enough framerate-wise to be worth trying?:

1) CSS/L4D/TF2
3) Fallout 3
4) Oblivion

That would be on Vista64 via Bootcamp by the way. If I could get 30+ FPS I would be fine putting settings on low, as that's basically what I'm used to on my current old PC. If not I'll stick to Peggle until I get a new desktop, but it would be nice to take a gaming break every so often :)

Thanks!

Don't know anything about Company of Heroes, but all the other games you mentioned will run fine (30+ fps) on the MacBook. The 9400M is pretty good.

Dagless
Jan 2, 2009, 06:58 AM

1) CSS/L4D/TF2
3) Fallout 3
4) Oblivion

CS:S will run stupidly fast. TF2 will run at native res with everything set to full (no AA or Vsync though) at 30fps+. L4D will run very good too but maybe not with everything set to high.

davwin
Jan 2, 2009, 06:58 AM
As long as you don't mind lowering some of the settings and/or the resolution yes, all of those will run at 30+ fps on the 9400M. Fallout 3 and L4D I can specifically confirm from playing them on my 2.0 AlumBook (with default 2GB RAM) at native res and, in L4D's case thats with almost all options on Med-High. :) F3 is a little more demanding I guess, although the gameplay style - especially with VATS - can still be played comfortably with a lower framerate IMO.

sutom
Jan 2, 2009, 09:29 AM
Ah thanks for the replies guys, that's great news! :D
I expected Fallout 3 to be too demanding, and for the others all low settings or nothing, so even some medium would be fantastic.

Cheers

Patriks7
Jan 23, 2009, 01:04 AM
Anyone know if it can run Test Drive Unlimited well and some of the older GTA's (as in SA and VC)? All the other games I'm interested have been answered or can run on my current Mac on low so I'm not worried about them :D

eXan
Jan 23, 2009, 01:47 AM
Anyone know if it can run Test Drive Unlimited well and some of the older GTA's (as in SA and VC)? All the other games I'm interested have been answered or can run on my current Mac on low so I'm not worried about them :D

GTA VC runs on max 1280x800 smoothly on my MacBook with Intel GMA 950

SA is at low-med 1024x768 and is smooth. I'm sure new MBs will have absolutely no problems with these old games.

Patriks7
Jan 23, 2009, 09:02 AM
GTA VC runs on max 1280x800 smoothly on my MacBook with Intel GMA 950

SA is at low-med 1024x768 and is smooth. I'm sure new MBs will have absolutely no problems with these old games.

Wow, I thought they were a bit more demanding! Now if TDU can run on even low and some other racing games (NFS) then MacBook it is for me then :D I got PS3 for all the other games :P

bluelf88
Jan 23, 2009, 01:46 PM
Dude you are my hero. This was exactly what i've been looking for! I'm buying a Mac, and was wondering if i should bother dual booting in XP to play WoW. sounds like it's pretty un-necessary =)

kahine
Jan 24, 2009, 09:51 AM
Dude you are my hero. This was exactly what i've been looking for! I'm buying a Mac, and was wondering if i should bother dual booting in XP to play WoW. sounds like it's pretty un-necessary =)

Actually I'd recommend you don't dual boot to play WoW ,

While I have a Vista gaming rig , when it comes to WoW my Mac Pro and Macbook Pro and Imac all run it just as well if not more smooth in some cases ,

The best being the network stack - ping times on OS X are across the board lower than Vista's and also the window mode is MUCH smoother on the OS X for WoW , as in you can have it running with multiple other apps , resize the window , switch back and forth much more responsively in OS X in this case

Most other games I play on the Vista 64 rig but WoW there's no reason not to just play it in OS X

aznguyen316
Mar 4, 2009, 12:19 AM
I'm sure someone has already tested it but..

Crysis Warhead runs well on my 2.0 Alu MB.. specs in sig

using FRAPS average ~20FPS, but doesn't really feel slow/sluggish, so I'm very happy with performance

settings: 900?x600 full screen
all mainstream except shadows/shaders at minimum

Now I wonder how well Crysis original will run since it's not optimized

0makol16
Apr 1, 2009, 11:19 PM
I'm sure someone has already tested it but..

Crysis Warhead runs well on my 2.0 Alu MB.. specs in sig

using FRAPS average ~20FPS, but doesn't really feel slow/sluggish, so I'm very happy with performance

settings: 900?x600 full screen
all mainstream except shadows/shaders at minimum

Now I wonder how well Crysis original will run since it's not optimized

did you run into any object pop in like rocks or trees popping into view? I watched a video of crysis warhead on the entry aluminum macbook and there was some amount of pop in, which imo would be annoying. but good to know it runs well :)

aznguyen316
Apr 2, 2009, 08:45 AM
did you run into any object pop in like rocks or trees popping into view? I watched a video of crysis warhead on the entry aluminum macbook and there was some amount of pop in, which imo would be annoying. but good to know it runs well :)

Yeah a lot of object pop in. It's annoying yeah. But for an update, I overclocked my CPU/GPU and boosted Warhead to ~30fps on all mins. rock on! haha

Dawn of War II: using Dox 185.20 drivers boosted my framerate up about 10FPS to average 30-35 on min setting and mid resolution. I was surprised the game did not run as well as I thought, but glad the new driver helped.

0makol16
Apr 2, 2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah a lot of object pop in. It's annoying yeah. But for an update, I overclocked my CPU/GPU and boosted Warhead to ~30fps on all mins. rock on! haha

Dawn of War II: using Dox 185.20 drivers boosted my framerate up about 10FPS to average 30-35 on min setting and mid resolution. I was surprised the game did not run as well as I thought, but glad the new driver helped.

glad to know DoWII works well, but i did some digging in google and found that if you play crysis warhead on 800x600 with med/low the pop in should be minimal and run around 25fps dipping to 15fps which isn't that bad, but to some people thats un playable

aznguyen316
Apr 3, 2009, 07:19 AM
glad to know DoWII works well, but i did some digging in google and found that if you play crysis warhead on 800x600 with med/low the pop in should be minimal and run around 25fps dipping to 15fps which isn't that bad, but to some people thats un playable

I'm playing warhead at 960*600 (widescreen) and that's what's getting me the 32FPS, but I'm OC'ed. Very playable now.

DoWII works well after driver update, before it was a little choppy. Running it at the medium resolution is fine, I forget like 1xxx*768

Another to add: Empire: Total War - I'm very surprised this ran and ran well! Avg 33FPS, dipping to 25 up to 40+. This was at native resolution 1280*800 and min settings. This was also only the tutorial, my guess it'll be a bit slower in water and w/ more units. But still, runs better than DoWII at higher res.

0makol16
Apr 3, 2009, 11:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p300fAjIGMU

found this video today (it was just posted earlier today) seems like this guy is expereincing the same problem as me on his aluminum macbook while playing the crysis demo, im currently playing on my imac tho. im putting bootcamp on my macbook soon.

scottder
May 21, 2009, 06:43 PM
Anyone have issues with DoD crashing right after the map loads when connecting to a server. I have Unibody macbook with the 9400M and it seems to crash every time.

Scott

PS I am running Windows 7 but I had similar problems with XP

0makol16
May 21, 2009, 11:36 PM
Anyone have issues with DoD crashing right after the map loads when connecting to a server. I have Unibody macbook with the 9400M and it seems to crash every time.

Scott

PS I am running Windows 7 but I had similar problems with XP

Well if DoD means Day of Defeat I have no idea what is wrong, but this exact bug is happening to me when I try to play Battlefield 2. Has anyone else experienced this when playing Battlefield 2? I'm running XP btw.

scottder
May 22, 2009, 09:32 AM
Well if DoD means Day of Defeat I have no idea what is wrong, but this exact bug is happening to me when I try to play Battlefield 2. Has anyone else experienced this when playing Battlefield 2? I'm running XP btw.

Indeed, I should say "Day of Defeat: Source" actually.

Scott

scottder
Jun 7, 2009, 08:38 AM
CS:S will run stupidly fast. TF2 will run at native res with everything set to full (no AA or Vsync though) at 30fps+. L4D will run very good too but maybe not with everything set to high.

I'd love to know which version of windows and what drivers you are running to get this. I have tried it every which way I can think of and still these games won't work :(

Dagless
Jun 7, 2009, 09:31 AM
I'd love to know which version of windows and what drivers you are running to get this. I have tried it every which way I can think of and still these games won't work :(

Windows XP SP3 (best performance for games) and whatever the newest hacked drivers there are.

bowlby87
Jun 7, 2009, 06:19 PM
Need For Speed Undercover works really well for me, got everything on medium and running at 1280x1024 ;)

BSchorr
Jun 7, 2009, 10:55 PM
You guys talk about the 9400M integrated graphics card... Thats for every day use, but when you use the dedicated 9600 GT 256mb/512mb, you can get over 100fps in most Steam games....

aznguyen316
Jun 8, 2009, 06:22 AM
You guys talk about the 9400M integrated graphics card... Thats for every day use, but when you use the dedicated 9600 GT 256mb/512mb, you can get over 100fps in most Steam games....

well the 9400m is all the Macbooks have.. we're talking mostly non Pro users here. Of course if we had 9600 then this wouldn't be too much of a concern for many, except newer games.

storage
Jul 13, 2009, 08:51 AM
Windows XP SP3 (best performance for games) and whatever the newest hacked drivers there are.

Where do you get these hacked drivers? :)

aznguyen316
Jul 13, 2009, 01:08 PM
Where do you get these hacked drivers? :)

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

the site can be pretty confusing at first, just do a lot of reading, research etc. I like the DOX optimized drivers best.

vaderhater245
Jul 28, 2009, 09:57 PM
Anyone with Windows 7 RC have some thoughts about gaming? As I type this on my old MBP, I'm installing the latest release candidate of 7 on my stock 2.4Ghz Uni-MB. Im hoping to get some solid playability out of CS:S, CoD 4, and maybe even Battlefield Heroes.

I'll post later tonight if i can get some games going under the new build.

scottder
Jul 29, 2009, 02:53 PM
I think I may start over (with Win XP again, rather than Win7), Which are the current recommended hacked drivers?

aznguyen316
Jul 29, 2009, 03:32 PM
I think I may start over (with Win XP again, rather than Win7), Which are the current recommended hacked drivers?

When I was running XP on my MB, I used the dox 185.20 I think it was and worked great.. now on Win7 I'm using dox 185.85 which were made for the Win7 64bit. Both OS ran my games perfectly, now I just want the UI of Win7 since I'm gaming much more in Windows..

aznguyen316
Jul 29, 2009, 03:36 PM
Anyone with Windows 7 RC have some thoughts about gaming? As I type this on my old MBP, I'm installing the latest release candidate of 7 on my stock 2.4Ghz Uni-MB. Im hoping to get some solid playability out of CS:S, CoD 4, and maybe even Battlefield Heroes.

I'll post later tonight if i can get some games going under the new build.

I haven't played any of those 3 on my current Win 7 RC but I did play CSS and CoD4 when I had XP installed and they all ran great, CSS of course runs best native res basically all highs, CoD4 runs very well but with a few of the extras turned off and BF heroes runs fine on a intel x3100 w/ Vista so you should have NO problems there. Win7 is my fav though I see no loss in FPS in TF2 (a slightly more demanding engine than the CSS) and other games run just as well as they did in XP, plus you get the beauty of the new taskbar aka OSX dock hahah

NuGpod
Nov 6, 2009, 01:46 PM
I have a quick question. I, too, I want to get the new 13" white unibody MacBook but am worried that a comparable PC (looking at the Sony SR with the HD4570 which is superior to the 9400M) would blow the MacBook away...

Are you talking about MC207LL/A? That's the new 13" unibody in white plastic. The one I'm using is the second gen Macbook with the 2.0Ghz processors with the integrated graphics. My framerates are rather poor in Dalaran and sometimes have trouble getting to one spot to the next.

I'm guessing, that with the new processor's slight speed bump and the better graphics card, things will move better? I'm well aware that WoW is a processor intensive game as opposed to FPS-type games...

I really like the Mac but if the 9400M isn't that much of an improvement, I might as well move to the HD4570...