Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chill.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
hi, i just purchased the new 2.4 ghz macbook and am wondering whether to invest in 4gb of ram

since the nvidia 9400m uses 256mb of shared main memory, would adding 4gb of ram improve graphics at all? could you dedicate more than 256 mb to the card?

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Ouch....$400....

I wanted more memory...i guess w ill have to wait.

Uhhh... You know that Apple RAM is a total rip-off, right? And that any idiot can install RAM without voiding the warranty.

I'm not getting one of the new Macbooks, but it's not because of RAM.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
It will only use 256MB.

However, you will obviously have more RAM "left over" after you subtract whatever amount of RAM the GPU us using.

yeah hes right...the 9400 will only use 256 of your RAM, so the rest of it will go toward anything else that you do...so yes, i will help, just not in the graphics department...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Sorry...I saw it listed separately on the online apple store...but it is $300. I made the typo of $400.

you dont have to get it on the apple store, go buy it from another store where it will be basically half apples price :D

OP the extra RAM will barely help. if you will constantly be addressing more than 2GB of RAM while playing any game then thats a darn resource hungry game. maybe an upgrade to 3gb of RAM would be worth it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.