PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 2.3Ghz Dual Core

ermac
Oct 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, just registered and you've helped me before with some of my mac issues..thank you. Recently, I was offered a Powermac G5 2.3 Ghz dual core. I'm interested but I want to know if the machine is worth paying for, he was asking $1700.00 AUD.

Here are the specs.
POWERMAC CPU
* 2.3GHz Dual PowerPC G5 processor
* 1.15GHz frontside bus
* 512k L2 cache
* 2.5 Ghz RAM (400MHz DDR2 PC3200U DDR SDRAM Memory)
* 300GB Serial ATA hard drive
* 16x SuperDrive (double-layer) DVD Burner
* 4 Firewire port PCI-X Expansion card
* Two open PCI-X expansion slots
* ATI RADEON 9650 Video Card with 256MB of GDDR SDRAM

PORTS & BAYS
* 1x FireWire 800 port
* 2x FireWire 400 ports (one on front)
* 4x USB 2.0 ports (one on front)
* 2x internal SATA hard drive bays

BUILT IN AUDIO
* Optical digital audio input/output
* Analog line-level input/output
* Front headphone minijack and speaker
Upgradable to 8Gb RAM and 2-3 Terabyte of Hard Drive

I was told its a good, non-problematic machine. Are they telling the truth. I am also planning to check it out, what should I check or watch out for.

thank you for your help.

Thanks and Regards,
ermac

dukebound85
Oct 15, 2008, 06:30 PM
i wouldnt take it

ermac
Oct 15, 2008, 07:10 PM
i wouldnt take it

Hi,
why not?

ermac

Zortrium
Oct 15, 2008, 08:50 PM
FYI, I believe that's a dual processor machine (2 x single core) rather than a dual core machine (1 x dual core) - the dual core came out later and has a number of superior specs (GPU and so forth) to the machine you've listed. Based on performance compared to (for instance) a new iMac, I don't think it's worth the given cost, unless you have some need for a machine that can run classic.

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 16, 2008, 08:49 AM
In the Marketplace, there's someone selling a Quad with better specs and for half the price. He's in the US though. How much difference is $1700AU then to the Dollar? Because that machine is probably only worth about $800US

MagicWok
Oct 16, 2008, 09:03 AM
In all honesty - if you absolutely must go for a G5 Powermac, I wouldn't go for anything less than the Quad Core version that I have in my sig (2xdual core).

Even then it's stil questionable buying one now while the vastly superior Intel machines are out. The iMacs would most likely out-perform the G5 you listed by some way.

I've still got the Powermac as I've had it since it's release, so it's an old machine for me which I'll be substituting early next year. It'll be relegated to processing jobs that aren't time sensitive as I could still use the 4 cores.

IroquoisPliskin
Oct 17, 2008, 05:09 AM
$1700 is almost twice what that G5 is worth.

DoFoT9
Oct 17, 2008, 05:32 AM
hey mate, im an aussie too so everything is in AUD$. (welcome welcome)

Hi,
why not?

ermac

because that is too expensive. on ebay you can instantly buy the same machine as you put there, except it has

a) 8gb of RAM
b) 1tb HD

for only $100 more

i suggest you try to get him down to $1300-$1400 AT LEAST, show him the ebay link i provide.

ebay link (http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37.l1313&satitle=2.3ghz+g5&category0=k)

EDIT: lol i see you have taken the specs in your first post from that very ebay link. youd be familiar with the top search result then.

In the Marketplace, there's someone selling a Quad with better specs and for half the price. He's in the US though. How much difference is $1700AU then to the Dollar? Because that machine is probably only worth about $800US

at the moment our dollar is worth $0.6 of yours, so it is quite different. the machine over here is worth around $1300-$1400 depending on quality of course.

$1700 is almost twice what that G5 is worth.

i sure hope we are talking in AUD$ here. i 1.5ghz/1.8ghz dual core G5 would go for that price here

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 17, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'd sell you mine for $1700 :D