Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adminkatana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Hi There,

Im going to be buying a 24", 3.06Ghz iMac in the next few days, I regularly check through the buyers guide/ this forum, just wanted to have your opinion on whether its worth purchasing the iMac now, or waiting for a few weeks for a possible speed bump, So far that Insider roadmap has been pretty accurate, just interested in your opinions/ What you would do?

Many thanks for your help,

Tom

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
You can always wait for something better. Why buy in November when Nehalem is coming out in 2009?

I purchased my 24" iMac 2.8 2 weeks ago knowing that they will be updated soon. I love my new iMac (despite me initially saying I hated the glossy screen, I now love it). Had I waited, it would have been an extra month of not enjoying it.

I didn't go with the 3.06 because I didn't think the extra speed justified the extra expense for what I do most (surfing the web, email, financial stuff, Word/OpenOffice Writer, doing my medical dictation editing through VMWare Fusion/Windows Vista). The 2.8 runs Vista just fine actually, although I have to admit I'm only using IE and not doing any gaming.

I say buy now if you need it or want it, wait if you don't need it. As I mentioned before, you can wait your entire life away for something new and improved just around the corner.

BenEndeem

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
England
I too am in the market for an iMac and because I don't really need it any time soon I'm going to wait as long as possible. It's a question of need really, but I'm nearly certain there will be new iMacs before January.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
...but I'm nearly certain there will be new iMacs before January.

I'm holding you to that now, and I live in the West Midlands so not too far away from you if I need to hunt you down. If you're right then I'll buy you a drink, otherwise their will be hell to pay!!

:D;)

3lutz3toe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I’m holding out for Snow Leopard because I don't want to have to pay again to upgrade! Plus the speed bump and possible new platform are also incentives. And I don't really need a new computer right away. It would be nice though since I’m clunking away w/ my G5 white imac and it is so slow!

adminkatana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Thanks for the quick replies,

I agree with what most of you are saying, If you carry on waiting, you'll never buy anything. But after reading into the most recent macbook/ display releases, it seems that the iMac is a few steps behind, no LED display, slightly older architecture on the GPU etc etc. I just wondering what peoples thoughts are on a November speed bump, January is too long too wait.

SkiHound

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
My guess is any changes before the releast of Nehalem will be pretty incremental. They are already using the high speed FSB and the 3.06 is, if I'm not mistaken, as fast as any dual core notebook arcitecture chips currenently available. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see some kind of a pre Holiday refresh. But I think it would most likely be things like upgraded GPUs and larger hard drives at the current price points. But it's anyone's guess as to what Apple is planning. Just don't see major changes to the iMac line for a while.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
I got myself a fine deal on the iMac in my sig that I couldn't pass up. However, I still really wish I had the 8800.

I'm gonna wait until Macworld to see if they release new iMacs with even better GPUs. If they do, I'm gonna sell my current iMac and trade-up to a new one.

If not, I'll probably sell my Macbook and get a MBP with the 9600.

I'm not expecting anything before January, though...

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Normally I would say go for it, since the processor differences are so negligable; however, the fact that the 24" LED display just came out, there is a good chance it will make it to the iMac soon, which would explain an update in November.

trnce.lam

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
This is exactly what I want to know! To my understanding there might be speed bumps in November because it has been like 7 odd months since last update. Defo something in Jan. but like you said too long.

I want an iMac but i've been waiting and its not really bothered me..but i was going to get it now...because of the school promo and save money on ipod..but what is the point if you spend the money now...i rather have a new one which might come round the corner..which i'm sure you would too! if there are speed bumps then i'm getting one :D

lastochka

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
I'm expecting a mid/late November update with LED screen for the 24'' iMac, faster penryns, maybe improved graphics (9800 seems plausible) and maybe (but unlikely) a switch to the new nVidia chipset. Unlikely because Intel's chipsets are much cheaper, but nVidia's have support for DDR3 and so there's a chance of DDR3 appearing alongside 9400m, if that's the way it comes out.

One thing you can be certain of though: a significat increase in price :D

If the iMacs don't come out in November, there's an option of getting a MacBook + the new 24'' LED display. Unless you are a gamer you will have a very portable computer with a fairly large screen.

It would not surprise me at all if no iMac updates ever came out. This is Apple, and considering the fate of MacMini it is perfectly possible that the new strategy is simply this:

http://images.apple.com/displays/images/home_hero20081014.png

Why ask only one price when you can charge a premium for two plus all the peripherials?! :eek:

adminkatana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Well,

Seems like everyones in the same boat, personally, Id rather have a slightly better screen and gpu for what im going to use this machine for, But january is too long. I think as soon as the last tuesday in November is gone, Im ordering.

Thanks for all your help!

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
It would not surprise me at all if no iMac updates ever came out. This is Apple, and considering the fate of MacMini it is perfectly possible that the new strategy is simply this:

http://images.apple.com/displays/images/home_hero20081014.png

Why ask only one price when you can charge a premium for two plus all the peripherials?! :eek:

I doubt Apple would drop the iMac in favour of MacBook and cinema displays. I can see the Mac Mini being dropped, but the iMac is their best all-in-one desktop. They sell a lot of those because people stay away from the Mac Pro's who can't afford them and they stay away from the Minis because they're cheap and neglected.

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
I just ordered a 24" 2.4. The price was great and I figure if the next upgrade is significant I'll paas this down to my kid to replace the mac mini she is using and get myself the new one. If nothing happens for a while then I'm fine with using what we currently have

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.