Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cixi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Hello.
I'm here since time has come to change my 160Gb Hard Disk of my Macbook Pro into a 500Gb Hard Disk.

Now the problem is:
I have 80Gb for Leopard and 80Gb for WinXp. I use Bootcamp ad Boot manager.
I can easely connect the new 500Gb Hard Disk to the MacBook Pro USB to clone the internal 160Gb HD.
Is there any Win or OSX software that allow me to clone both partition in one time to have the system ready immediately without to
1) Enter OSX and clone with CCC
2) Swap to Win Xp usign Bootcamp
3) Clone WinXp using Acronis
4) Format the 500Gb HD
5) Installing Leopard
6) Restore OSX with CCC
7) Installing XP using Bootcamp
8) Restore XP using Acronis
???

Hope you can help me out in this case.
I hope I can find a software that clone bit-to-bit surface the I will resize the new HD partition once cloned using Partition Manager.
Thank You for your help
Regards.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
"Nope" stand for: "you have to do 1 to 8 procedure"?

If so I'll try Acronis 10.

Thank You

Actually Nope stands for

1. Enter OSX and clone XP (Winclone) and OSX (CCC)
2. Format HDD
3. Boot off cloned device and clone back OS X
4. Boot into OS X from internal HDD and use Winclone to create partition and clone XP back.

IIRC.

Cixi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Actually Nope stands for

1. Enter OSX and clone XP (Winclone) and OSX (CCC)
2. Format HDD
3. Boot off cloned device and clone back OS X
4. Boot into OS X from internal HDD and use Winclone to create partition and clone XP back.

IIRC.

Does not exist a 1 to 1 cloning so I can just clone the internal HD to the USB attached new HD so I just swap it after cloning and everything is running?

So your extend procedure is:
1) Enter OSX
2) Clone XP + CCC
3) Swap HD in the macbook
4) Install Back Lepoard
5) With CCC Clone back Old Leopard Partition
6) Install Bootbamp and resize the partition (I want 100Gb OSX, 100GB Win and 300Gb Common Data)
7) Use Winclone to restore the partition
??
I missed some step in your explanation sorry. I'm not as forward as you in doing this kinda things.
:(

Thank You

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Does not exist a 1 to 1 cloning so I can just clone the internal HD to the USB attached new HD so I just swap it after cloning and everything is running?

As far as I am aware there is nothing out there that will do this. It is rather annoying.

So your extend procedure is:
1) Enter OSX
2) Clone XP + CCC
3) Swap HD in the macbook

At this point you are able to boot off the external drive that you cloned to initially (or even the HDD that you took out of your MB) and then clone the information back onto the internal drive. This will save you some time.

4) Install Back Leopard
5) With CCC Clone back Old Leopard Partition
6) Install Bootbamp and resize the partition (I want 100Gb OSX, 100GB Win and 300Gb Common Data)
7) Use Winclone to restore the partition

That is essentially the procedure.

I missed some step in your explanation sorry. I'm not as forward as you in doing this kinda things.

It will save you some time however if you are comfortable with Acronis then perhaps it is best for you to follow your first route.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
you can use dd to clone an entire drive to another (I am pretty sure this will do what you want but I'll leave you to google the exact options to use).

I use dd to clone drives when they are dying, and the beauty is it doesnt really care what format the drive is.

worth spending some time googling me thinks

Cixi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
you can use dd to clone an entire drive to another (I am pretty sure this will do what you want but I'll leave you to google the exact options to use).

I use dd to clone drives when they are dying, and the beauty is it doesnt really care what format the drive is.

worth spending some time googling me thinks

DD stand for? Disk Dup?
Is that a Win App or a OSX App?
What firm produce it? Just to search the prog.
Thankx :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
OP,

i recently put in a 500gb HD in my laptop, works great.

i, like you had this dilemma. i found that the easiest and most secure way was to use osx's built in "copying program", by backing up using time machine :) that worked excellent.

note: i have yet to restore my bootcamp partition because..well.. i dont need it. i have put my old HD into an external case cia USB and i boot from that, if that isnt what your after then i suggest you

1) make the image with WinClone or similar (i HATE winclone and it hates me back)
2)install leopard however you wish
3)partition your HD to suit your size using DIsk Utility AFTER everything is working with osx
4)once partitioned, oepn Disk Utility and choose your partition, then choose restore and find the bootcamp image to restore from.

that should work for you

Cixi

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Sorry Cixi but it was early in the morning when i posted my reply what i meant was by nope is you cant clone over two OS's at the same time,I'm sorry but i was tired ,xUKHCx has stated the correct procedure

No problem at all.
Thank You anyway for your reply. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.