PDA

View Full Version : Hooking my guitar up to MacBook

arodvb
Oct 17, 2008, 11:22 AM
Picking up a new MacBook tomorrow, I'm a guitar player so I'd like to do some recording in GarageBand. I'm a bit confused by how to actually hook it up. My amp has a line out, so would it be easiest to just go from the line out on the amp, to line in on the MacBook?

theimacdude
Oct 17, 2008, 11:24 AM
I suppose your method may work, but the thing I would do is either; invest in a quality microphone, and record in Garageband through microphone recording, or use the built-in-microphone. Anyway, hope I helped :)

xxmuhahahahahxx
Oct 18, 2008, 01:19 PM
If you wanna start recording something, i suggest you get a preamp. If you're gonna start to get serious about it, you can get an effect program. Guitar Rig 3 is the best in this situation.

Preamps can get really costly, but those are always the highest quality ones. First pick whether you want a USB interface or FireWire interface. FireWire usually has no lag, and sounds better, but costs more.

Low budget, you can go with a USB M-Audio JamLab for about $80, or MobilePre for about $180
High budget, I suggest a FireWire 410, or even a NRV10, which is a complete mixing board, 6 channels with complete EQ, firewire output, but $900

I've only mentioned M-Audio hardware because those have always worked best with me, but you if you want to search for a different brand or a cheaper price, just search for "USB Preamp" or "FireWire Preamp"

mcnicks
Oct 18, 2008, 01:31 PM
First pick whether you want a USB interface or FireWire interface. FireWire usually has no lag, and sounds better, but costs more.

Steve Jobs has already picked for him. :D

Kilamite
Oct 18, 2008, 05:37 PM
Preamps can get really costly, but those are always the highest quality ones. First pick whether you want a USB interface or FireWire interface. FireWire usually has no lag, and sounds better, but costs more.

Forget FireWire if you are buying the new MacBook..

MowingDevil
Oct 18, 2008, 08:18 PM
I'd go for something from Line 6 if I were you. They start at under $100 and go up from there. Bonus is they're USB so you can use them on a new MB.
http://line6.com/toneport/

xparaparafreakx
Oct 19, 2008, 02:52 PM
NI Guitar Rig 3 with that great pedal/audio interface or NI Guitar Rig Session would work for you.

xxmuhahahahahxx
Oct 19, 2008, 04:02 PM
NI Guitar Rig 3 with that great pedal/audio interface or NI Guitar Rig Session would work for you.

Yeah, and even without the pedals and stuff, guitar rig's still definitely a great addition

firecrasher
Oct 20, 2008, 12:27 AM
I've been using a borrowed M-Audio Black Box, it's a fun little toy and it's USB. If you opt out of the software it comes with (probably Pro Tools) it's pretty cheap.

gkarris
Oct 20, 2008, 10:40 AM
Forget FireWire if you are buying the new MacBook..

Here we go...

Our Worship Pastor uses (used...) an M-Audio Box with just 1 input and uses a high quality mic. I know others use a pickup.

We used to record sermons on a Mini, and used a Lexicon Omega box via USB. It has balanced XLR inputs. It also worked great in Garageband and you will need a USB audio box such as this in order to hook it up to a new MacBook.

http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio/dp/B0002E4Z9G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1224517348&sr=8-1

Our Worship Pastor is getting a new MacBook and obviously has to use the Omega box instead of his old M-Audio one...