PDA

View Full Version : Got my New MacBook and a Dead Pixel

yozh
Oct 17, 2008, 10:53 PM
Well now I`m really pissed off.

Got my 1300$ MacBook 5 minutes after the jobnote, just got it today. And I have a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. Any one got this ? You think Apple will replace it???

tekmoe
Oct 17, 2008, 10:58 PM

Got my 1300$ MacBook 5 minutes after the jobnote, just got it today. And I have a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. Any one got this ? You think Apple will replace it???

Yes, you can get it replaced IF you say the right things. Don't act like a tool and they will most likely replace it for you. Be firm but don't get angry with them. Explain you are very upset with your notebook and you just want to be happy. And the only way to make you happy is to give you a replacement (which is hopefully free of dead pixels!).

ascham87
Oct 17, 2008, 11:03 PM
I bought an Aluminum iMac about 2 hours after the keynote last August and got it home only to find a dead pixel. I went back nervously because I know the official policy is like 8 or more pixels or something. I went in and they basically told me that they'd do it no problem because I was an early adopter. Call up Apple and they should be fine with it, they know they need to keep the early adopters happy.

yozh
Oct 17, 2008, 11:18 PM
I bought an Aluminum iMac about 2 hours after the keynote last August and got it home only to find a dead pixel. I went back nervously because I know the official policy is like 8 or more pixels or something. I went in and they basically told me that they'd do it no problem because I was an early adopter. Call up Apple and they should be fine with it, they know they need to keep the early adopters happy.

You saying I should just call instead of going to the store ??????

hierobryan
Oct 17, 2008, 11:24 PM
Be prepared to do what you must if they turn you away...i.e. disassemble the whole thing and manually deaden a few pixels with a needle. Either way you WILL get a replacement :)

jav6454
Oct 17, 2008, 11:25 PM

I know I may sound like a total 150% noob when I say this, however, please understand my reasons. Ok here is the question, how do you notice 1 dead pixel.

Reasons for me asking is:

1. I have never seen a dead pixel in a laptop (as wierd as it may sound I have not seen one).

2. When I get my new Macbook I want it perfect (I am switching away from Windhell)

3. Since Leopard has a black background with the purple Nebula thingy, I would like to know which test to run in order to determine dead pixels.

Sorry for asking this *very* noobish question, but I would like some feedback on which test to run on the MacBook once I get it to assure perfectness.

ascham87
Oct 17, 2008, 11:26 PM
You saying I should just call instead of going to the store ??????

You might want to call a retail store first. They are normally in the business of pleasing people.

hierobryan
Oct 17, 2008, 11:29 PM
Ok here is the question, how do you notice 1 dead pixel.

Simple... Play a full screen movie, then put your face close to the screen and inspect. Look for a little dot that does not change color.

jav6454
Oct 17, 2008, 11:31 PM
Simple... Play a full screen movie, then put your face close to the screen and inspect. Look for a little dot that does not change color.

So basically a full white screen should do the trick...

yozh
Oct 17, 2008, 11:39 PM
So basically a full white screen should do the trick...

I found something called pixel test. pxc1.2.zip

Which I saw that this thing is defenatly dead or there is somthing on the back of the glass eather way I constantly want to remove it and its so annoying :(

drew0020
Oct 17, 2008, 11:56 PM
I had 2 dead pixels and they replaced it. I expect the LCD screen to be perfect for $1,700.

Farns514
Oct 18, 2008, 03:05 AM
I thought i had a dead pixel also but was told it was stars peering through the top pane of the bar. Its white and directly in the middle of the bar on the top of the screen, a little bit below the camera and to the left. Anyone else have that?

derryquinn
Oct 18, 2008, 06:18 AM
I thought i had a dead pixel also but was told it was stars peering through the top pane of the bar. Its white and directly in the middle of the bar on the top of the screen, a little bit below the camera and to the left. Anyone else have that?
Maybe you couls change the wallpaper and see then if its still there :D

logicsuggests
Oct 18, 2008, 06:56 AM
Be prepared to do what you must if they turn you away...i.e. disassemble the whole thing and manually deaden a few pixels with a needle. Either way you WILL get a replacement :)

No wonder apple gear is so expensive with people like you around ...

dinaluvsApple
Oct 18, 2008, 07:01 AM
my iphone had a dead pixel and the apple store replaced it no questions asked, didnt even have to show them a reciept.

yozh
Oct 18, 2008, 10:52 AM
my iphone had a dead pixel and the apple store replaced it no questions asked, didnt even have to show them a reciept.

I have an appointment today at 4pm have to drive about 25 miles cuz the store close to me is all booked up. So will see. THey better change it.

imayeti
Oct 18, 2008, 11:35 AM
I got mine as well with a dead pixel in the center. Called support they said to take it to the store. They gave me grief about not having an appointment and that I would have to come back. They still replaced it anyways now I have one with a perfect screen.

iFanaddic
Oct 18, 2008, 12:36 PM
TO FIX: try the pixel fixer.. Its a video on youtube that flashes many different colors which are can revive your dead pixel.. (Play Full screen) LINK BELOW

TO TEST: if you don't know if you have a dead pixel play the youtube video attached in fullscreen mode and pause and every color to inspect.. a dead pixel would have a different color.. LINK BELOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJubi7wRTE4

*****DO NOT USE IF YOU'RE EPILEPTIC*****

EngenZerO
Oct 18, 2008, 03:47 PM
Here is my story (granted its with a mbp but it will help all with new macbook owners too):

I purchased a 2.53GHz MacBook Pro this morning right when the store opened. I then grabbed some breakfast and headed to my GF's place where I proceeded to set up my new computer on her coffee table (quick tangent: she has a big slider door and the glare was minimal). So after I get my baby setup I move take it off the coffee table and see a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. I was like aiiiiiyyyyeeeee noeeees!!! I proceed to clean the screen thinking its something but it turned out to be a pixel. I also powered down my screen and noticed some dust under the screen. So my GF goes: "ah snap... here we go exchange fiasco!" I drive all the way back to my apple store go to the concierge and ask her to speak to a manager. The manager comes out and I explain: "I purchased this MacBook Pro not even 4-5 hours ago and I notice a dead pixel in the center of the screen. Now I understand fault tolerance with pixels, etc but this is in the smack center. I do some graphics work etc... and this isn't acceptable. This is my life-line!" Manager looks at the dead pixel and goes listen i'll exchange it out for u, just this once. He asks someone to grab me new 2.54GHz. But another manager goes you need to ok this with the genius boys. So we walk to the genius bar. The genius boy throws a fit about it only being 1 pixel and we shouldn't exchange, but the manager goes my bad I already told the customer he would be taken care of. Then proceeds a quiet discussion in which the manager seemed like he was getting reemed out by the genius. The manager comes back to me and goes listen... I shouldn't exchange this but I will this one time cause u came back right away and took care of it. He then proceeds to process my exchange. We then take out the new MacBook Pro and examine it and no dead pixels! I walk out the store a lucky and happy man!

So moral... if u see a dead pixel go right back... don't make an apt. and just go talk calmly to the manager. If he is cool will prolly get it taken care of.

drew0020
Oct 18, 2008, 04:08 PM
Honestly apple needs to work on their quality control. When you charge more than $1,500 for a computer the screen should be perfect and their should be no dents at all in the casing.

Maybe I am out of touch, but when I pay for a premium product I expect premium quality and service.

Munitalp
Oct 18, 2008, 04:16 PM
Honestly apple needs to work on their quality control. When you charge more than $1,500 for a computer the screen should be perfect and their should be no dents at all in the casing.

Maybe I am out of touch, but when I pay for a premium product I expect premium quality and service.

I agree when your paying $1500 it should be perfect but no company can make 100% of their products error and defect free. After all they put many other manufacturers products inside of the Macbook, iMac, etc -- theres no possibly way to ensure everything is perfect.

drew0020
Oct 18, 2008, 04:23 PM
I agree when your paying $1500 it should be perfect but no company can make 100% of their products error and defect free. After all they put many other manufacturers products inside of the Macbook, iMac, etc -- theres no possibly way to ensure everything is perfect.

Agreed, but dont give people a problem when they return it for a valid defect. I think a dead pixel and dented case (not a minor scratch only visible in certain light) are valid reasons.

Munitalp
Oct 18, 2008, 04:27 PM
Agreed, but dont give people a problem when they return it for a valid defect. I think a dead pixel and dented case (not a minor scratch only visible in certain light) are valid reasons.

Yeah, there is noway that they should even question a person who is trying to get a good product -- its sorry to see its happening some places.

yozh
Oct 18, 2008, 05:02 PM
I have an appointment today at 4pm have to drive about 25 miles cuz the store close to me is all booked up. So will see. THey better change it.

Yep love apple, came in switch the laptop in and out 10 minutes :) nice looking screen this time :)

ubercool
Oct 18, 2008, 05:08 PM

Haha, yes that "star" is in Apple's Leopard wallpaper. :p

ogdenous
Oct 30, 2008, 08:19 AM
Bought the 13" new macbook 2.4ghz with upgraded 4gb from the store. I must be on the top there with bad luck. I am on my second macbook and going back to exchange for a third.

1st one had a bummed SuperDrive, would not properly insert unless I press eject button 1st. then when it finally took in a disc it would not properly read it. I should have just sent to apple to repair the drive as it had no dead pixels.

2nd one has 2 lit pixels and a few that you can see if you look from different angles.

For my third option I'll try another store to see if I can win the lottery and get a good one.

catalyst6
Oct 30, 2008, 12:02 PM
I too have a dead pixel on my new Macbook.

After purchasing many, many devices that an LCD, I've learned that a dead or stuck pixel is just a given. I think you could open 20 laptops in a row and eventually find some sort of defect in at least one pixel in the screen.

Think of it this way:

The Macbook has a resolution of 1280x800 pixels. That is 1,024,000 pixels in total. If you had 1 dead pixel (like my self), that is a failure rate of .00009%, which is damn good.

Dead LCDs aren't an Apple problem, it's the inherent nature of the technology.

drew0020
Oct 30, 2008, 12:23 PM

After purchasing many, many devices that an LCD, I've learned that a dead or stuck pixel is just a given. I think you could open 20 laptops in a row and eventually find some sort of defect in at least one pixel in the screen.

Think of it this way:

The Macbook has a resolution of 1280x800 pixels. That is 1,024,000 pixels in total. If you had 1 dead pixel (like my self), that is a failure rate of .00009%, which is damn good.

Dead LCDs aren't an Apple problem, it's the inherent nature of the technology.
While I agree dead pixels can occur with LCD technology, I disagree with them being a given. Its called quality control which Apple is obviously not using on these panels.

catalyst6
Oct 30, 2008, 12:38 PM
If Apple threw out every display with one bad pixel you wouldn't be able to afford a Macbook.

There's a great article on Samsung's site describing dead pixels:

After all this fuss about dead pixels, you might wonder 'why do they keep selling these monitors? Why not only sell perfect machines?' It's not as simple as that. The bottom line is, if manufacturers start tossing out every monitor that has a dead pixel, you won't be able to afford an LCD display. Throwing away every monitor with a dead pixel would drive up the overall manufacturing cost. Since they need certain amount of profit in order to keep on manufacturing, LCD makers would inevitably raise the retail price of their products to counter the rising manufacturing costs.

drew0020
Oct 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
If Apple threw out every display with one bad pixel you wouldn't be able to afford a Macbook.

There's a great article on Samsung's site describing dead pixels:
I understand the concept, but again disagree with you and the article. I have purchased cheap computers <$700 up to $10,000 HD projectors and not once have had a dead pixel on any of these items.

In addition, I have owned more than 10 Apple laptops (5 white macbooks, 3 airs and 2 older models) and not one has ever had a dead pixel until the new MacBooks (ive had 5 new MacBooks with multiple dead pixels).

Maybe I am being blinded by my bad luck in this case, but I truly believe that Apple is using inferior screens coupled with a lack of quality control on the new MacBooks.

catalyst6
Oct 30, 2008, 12:58 PM
I'd say you have good luck if you have gone through that many devices and only seen dead pixels now.

I've gone through 3 different iPhones (not for dead pixels), but they've all had some sort of pixel anomaly.

I think I've just learned to live with it and try to ignore it. I feel like returning the machine over one dead pixel could net you a new one with more than 1 :) Plus checking them in the store doesn't always work as dead pixels can show up a few hours into use.

big duck
Oct 30, 2008, 01:02 PM
My test is the ctrl + alt + cmd + 8 thing, it makes it easy to know.

drew0020
Oct 30, 2008, 01:05 PM
I'd say you have good luck if you have gone through that many devices and only seen dead pixels now.

I've gone through 3 different iPhones (not for dead pixels), but they've all had some sort of pixel anomaly.

I think I've just learned to live with it and try to ignore it. I feel like returning the machine over one dead pixel could net you a new one with more than 1 :) Plus checking them in the store doesn't always work as dead pixels can show up a few hours into use.

You make some valid points, but I guess I am a perfectionist :)

840quadra
Oct 30, 2008, 01:21 PM
I understand the concept, but again disagree with you and the article. I have purchased cheap computers <$700 up to $10,000 HD projectors and not once have had a dead pixel on any of these items.

Sadly the industry does not meet the requirements you expect. With the exception of Samsung's Zero dead pixel policy.

HP Display policy (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&docname=c00035844)

Lenovo Display Policy (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-69856)

Dell Display Policy (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&dn=1018431)

However, Apple currently does not publicly post their policy, so it is always a crap-shoot, and seemingly governed by the mood of the employees you deal with at Apple.

http://forums.macrumors.com/image.php?u=47064&dateline=1165207334&type=profile

unlokia
Oct 31, 2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah yeah sure - I appreciate people being narked off with problems *BUT* what folk tend to forget, amongst all the anger and fury is that for every bad screen, there a trillion PERFECT MacBook screens!. It's called magnification of complaints, caused by mass hysteria, based on the complaints of a relatively small percentage of consumers, amplified and propogated by their anger/displeasure.

Pay no attention to threads like this, when making your purchase decisions - otherwise you'd be a downright fool!.

steve31
Oct 31, 2008, 08:33 PM

Think of it this way:

Dead LCDs aren't an Apple problem, it's the inherent nature of the technology. Agree!!!:D:D I also am PROUD to say that I have 1 dead pixel on mine too.:D

ogdenous
Nov 1, 2008, 12:59 PM
Bought the 13" new macbook 2.4ghz with upgraded 4gb from the store. I must be on the top there with bad luck. I am on my second macbook and going back to exchange for a third.

1st one had a bummed SuperDrive, would not properly insert unless I press eject button 1st. then when it finally took in a disc it would not properly read it. I should have just sent to apple to repair the drive as it had no dead pixels.

2nd one has 2 lit pixels and a few that you can see if you look from different angles.

For my third option I'll try another store to see if I can win the lottery and get a good one.

So I went back today, the sales people were very nice about it and although the process took long (2.5 hours) it was worth the wait. They tested infront of me and I am now happy again :D

dckj95
Nov 1, 2008, 07:30 PM
dude call apple and they will have it replaced for you.

i dont think it will be a problem cuz the guys at apple rock. :D

John585
Nov 1, 2008, 10:52 PM
I have what appears to be a stuck pixel on the right side of the screen. When I turn off the display there is a white mark where the stuck pixel is. Should I return it?

FFTWarren
Nov 1, 2008, 10:59 PM
I went through 2 of em with screen issues and thats all it took for me. I brought it back n got a refund. n I just went and picked up the new MBA 1.86 today at the store and this sad daddy kills that MBA 2.4. this thing is so fast its ridiculous. Im glad I brought back that MB. not to mention its ridiculous that they even released a product that has so many display issues. this is a complete lack of quality control and it shouldn't be happening in a $1600 laptop.

John585
Nov 2, 2008, 12:13 AM
Anyone else having this problem? It could be just something behind the glass.