PDA

View Full Version : I love this new Trackpad!

TJunkers
Oct 18, 2008, 12:26 PM
I have to say it takes a bit getting use to, but I already love it. It's so smooth and easy to use, and the size of it is just great, and the fact that i have a right click by clicking the bottom right corner or by tapping with two fingers is just fantastic. And multitouch on it is just glorious!

I know they have had these features before but with the size and glass its even better! This new Macbook is beyond perfect for me!

Yr Blues
Oct 18, 2008, 12:30 PM
The fact that it's difficult to click the top portion sounds problematic. I still haven't tried it in person—but the right click makes it very appealing.

gsampson85
Oct 18, 2008, 12:42 PM
I love it too! I have it set where I don't need to click, just tap where I would click.

likemyorbs
Oct 18, 2008, 12:48 PM
I love it too! I have it set where I don't need to click, just tap where I would click.

same here! way better that way. i think they have it more difficult to click on top for a reason, but i cant figure out that reason.

Yr Blues
Oct 18, 2008, 01:06 PM
but i cant figure out that reason.

Because Jobs said so! :D

I bet they could get it to click evenly because the pad is so large. You know the previous button is high off the case whereas the new track/button is sunken into the case. I kind of wish it sat higher. Makes it more buttony.

likemyorbs
Oct 18, 2008, 01:10 PM
Because Jobs said so! :D

I bet they could get it to click evenly because the pad is so large. You know the previous button is high off the case whereas the new track/button is sunken into the case. I kind of wish it sat higher. Makes it more buttony.

it really does seem intentional that it becomes more difficult to click as it gets higher up, it really doesnt seem accidental

staccato83
Oct 18, 2008, 01:25 PM
I have to say it takes a bit getting use to, but I already love it. It's so smooth and easy to use, and the size of it is just great, and the fact that i have a right click by clicking the bottom right corner or by tapping with two fingers is just fantastic. And multitouch on it is just glorious!

I know they have had these features before but with the size and glass its even better! This new Macbook is beyond perfect for me!

You must really love it to start two separate threads within 5 minutes of one another. ;)

NATO
Oct 18, 2008, 06:37 PM
it really does seem intentional that it becomes more difficult to click as it gets higher up, it really doesnt seem accidental

The trackpad 'button' is hinged at the top, so the lower down you press, the easier it is...

zer0tails
Oct 18, 2008, 06:41 PM
I tried the new track pad today. And to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. Certainly it isn't all bad as some people say. But I don't really see how much of an improvement it is.

The macbook air's track pad is still the best I think. Generous space for multi-touch, and yet there's still a button to press that doesn't take up too much space.

duffyanneal
Oct 18, 2008, 07:04 PM
I tried the new track pad today. And to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. Certainly it isn't all bad as some people say. But I don't really see how much of an improvement it is.

The macbook air's track pad is still the best I think. Generous space for multi-touch, and yet there's still a button to press that doesn't take up too much space.

Today I was trying it out and to be honest I used it just like a regular trackpad. I left my thumb at the bottom of the pad and used it to make the click. I like it since I had a couple of MBAs with button problems after a little use.

zer0tails
Oct 18, 2008, 07:08 PM
Today I was trying it out and to be honest I used it just like a regular trackpad. I left my thumb at the bottom of the pad and used it to make the click. I like it since I had a couple of MBAs with button problems after a little use.

really, what type of problems if you don't mind me asking?

AiralynRose
Oct 18, 2008, 07:30 PM

no way, i could never get used to the air's button! i used it in the stores a few times... the button is just too small... and i'm a girl with tiny hands!

i love the new trackpad too... i was setting up my whitebook to sell and realized how fast i got used to the new trackpad since i kept missing the button, lol

StingerT125
Oct 18, 2008, 07:56 PM
The trackpad 'button' is hinged at the top, so the lower down you press, the easier it is...

Yeah, this is how it seems to be. The bottom of the pad is where it responds best. I have been using it just like a regular track pad/button configuration and it works great for how I use my computer. There has been no negative with it for me.

Kendall015
Oct 18, 2008, 07:59 PM
I sold my Air to get the new MacBook, and I am a big fan of the new trackpad, but the Air's isn't that bad either. Having no buttons opens up a lot of possibilities, but I still use it with my thumb in the same place, so I guess I don't really take advantage of the new coolness. I really like the feel of it, though, and the 4-finger expose stuff is really cool when I remember. I think most people will end up using it just like they did with trackpads before.

Nukemkb
Oct 18, 2008, 08:03 PM
I tried it at the Charlotte NC apple store today - I'm sold! Really nice!

mcdj
Oct 18, 2008, 08:52 PM
Just got mine today. I'm finding the 2 finger scrolling to be a bit choppy and occasionally unresponsive. Anyone else?

brettinlj
Oct 18, 2008, 08:56 PM
I agree that I love this trackpad. I just got my new Macbook today. I was using a 2001 vintage Vaio and the left mouse button had been broken for the last year. Because of that I was having to tap on the trackpad to click or double-click, so I find this transition very natural! I didn't even read up on the multi-finger gestures, but I'm finding them natural, like Steve Jobs read my mind and it does what I think it should.

alphaod
Oct 18, 2008, 09:09 PM
Just got mine today. I'm finding the 2 finger scrolling to be a bit choppy and occasionally unresponsive. Anyone else?

Are your hands clean? Also is the touchpad clean?

egiles
Oct 18, 2008, 09:46 PM
Absolutely not at all-it is as smooth and responsive as it can be. I previously owned a first gen macbook and the touchpad on the new one is much better, and this is coming from someone that hates touchpads-I am a Thinkpad/trackpoint user since 1995.

But this one works so well that I just might get used to it.

mcdj
Oct 18, 2008, 09:49 PM
Are your hands clean? Also is the touchpad clean?

Hands/mouse are clean. I think it might be the way I'm touching it...maybe resting too many fingers on it or part of my palm or something.

Dybbuk
Oct 18, 2008, 10:04 PM
I'm disappointed to hear that it's hinged. I was hoping the whole thing would be truly one button. I suppose if I'm scrolling towards the top of something, I can't just press down to click. :(

Yr Blues
Oct 18, 2008, 10:26 PM
Can someone post a screenshot of the default settings for the trackpad? Thanks.

Clayne
Oct 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
I'm disappointed to hear that it's hinged. I was hoping the whole thing would be truly one button. I suppose if I'm scrolling towards the top of something, I can't just press down to click. :(

I'm able to click up until about half an inch to the top. MOST of it I can click if I need to. There's some resistance as you go up, but it's really not that bad.

GadgetCollector
Oct 18, 2008, 10:48 PM
At least they removed the button. One thing that I like about Windows laptops is, even though they have the left and right trackpad buttons, it's easier to just tap than click. Ever since I bought my Mac, I wished it had the same feature. But now I grew used to it. I still prefer tapping though. :D

Dybbuk
Oct 18, 2008, 10:51 PM
At least they removed the button. One thing that I like about Windows laptops is, even though they have the left and right trackpad buttons, it's easier to just tap than click. Ever since I bought my Mac, I wished it had the same feature. But now I grew used to it. I still prefer tapping though. :D

Um, you can already do this. Check your Keyboard and Mouse settings.

GadgetCollector
Oct 20, 2008, 05:44 AM
Um, you can already do this. Check your Keyboard and Mouse settings.

Oh my, I didn't know this. :eek: I forgot to mention that I'm using the old BlackBook. I thought this only works for the new ones... :rolleyes: Oh I'm such a noob. I only bought this two months ago (plus I use mouse all the time, I didn't bother with the trackpad). I guess I don't know my Mac that well yet. :D Thanks, Dyb!

Apple addict
Oct 20, 2008, 08:21 AM
I am finding this trackpad to be a nice addition. The only problem noticed is one of my own in that I sometimes rest a finger on the bottom of the pad as if there was a button there while using a finger on the other hand to move the cursor, the result being a none moving cursor.
The more I use the MB the less that is a problem, one digit at a time now :)

Gary

iFanaddic
Oct 20, 2008, 08:44 AM
how easy is it to drag and drop?

southerndoc
Oct 20, 2008, 08:49 AM
The new trackpad is cool. I like how the pad is clickable. Initially I thought I wouldn't like it, but when I used it the first time, it was love at first use! The click feels cool. I love how Apple tests their products for the "ultimate clicking" experience.

Miss Anthropy
Oct 20, 2008, 08:53 AM
how easy is it to drag and drop?

I have mine set to "tap to click" which makes it really easy. I also turned on the drag lock, but that's just me.

Anyone finding that sometimes it decides not to "tap to click", although sys.pref. still says it's selected? Had to restart to fix...

Applemac85
Oct 20, 2008, 04:43 PM
As far as dragging and dropping goes, I was worried about this, too. One thing that's cool is that you can still click and hold with one finger, and then move the file by dragging with your other finger. Also works with clicking and dragging with one finger as well.

Clayne
Oct 20, 2008, 04:47 PM
If you tap, I think the new pads are still not in vein, because you have so much extra room to tap, and the button doesn't get in the way like in older models.

So I'd say the new pad is good for clicking and tapping!

Bengt77
Oct 20, 2008, 04:54 PM
Also works with clicking and dragging with one finger as well.
I'm a bit worried about the trackpad's surface's wear and tear with doing the one finger (physical) click and drag all the time. Or is that the one of the reasons why Apple made the surface out of glass? But then, how did they get the glass surface so silvery? Is it painted? If so, won't that wear off?

Adamo
Oct 20, 2008, 05:14 PM
Tapping is okay, but I prefer the MacBook's method or just turning off tapping on a computer. I'm looking forward to trying the new MacBook's method though.

SpudsMcKenzie
Oct 20, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm a bit worried about the trackpad's surface's wear and tear with doing the one finger (physical) click and drag all the time. Or is that the one of the reasons why Apple made the surface out of glass? But then, how did they get the glass surface so silvery? Is it painted? If so, won't that wear off?

I was wondering about this as well. My blackbook's trackpad is all worn out in the middle where most of the contact occurs. So hopefully that isn't the case with this one.

Although it seems like the silver look comes from a layer under the glass (sticker maybe?).

johny5
Oct 26, 2008, 03:44 PM
This glass trackpad is like "The Emperors New Clothes" to me!?
I have had my new macbook over a week now and the "glass" trackpad just really doesn't feel like its made out of "glass" at all!?

Surely a glass trackpad would feel smooth and slightly colder just like the glass display?
the trackpad to me feels a little grainy, sure its very very nice but I just dont think it is made from glass as we know it?
Its not "Fibreglass" is it!?

DannyBres
Oct 26, 2008, 03:50 PM
This glass trackpad is like "The Emperors New Clothes" to me!?
I have had my new macbook over a week now and the "glass" trackpad just really doesn't feel like its made out of "glass" at all!?

Surely a glass trackpad would feel smooth and slightly colder just like the glass display?
the trackpad to me feels a little grainy, sure its very very nice but I just dont think it is made from glass as we know it?
Its not "Fibreglass" is it!?

apparently it is glass and they spent ages getting it "grainy" ennough so that the co-efficient of friction was just right

nyisles84
Oct 26, 2008, 03:54 PM
i've noticing an an annoying little quirk. When going through pictures in iphoto and using the 3 finger swipe method, going left to right on the swipe goes to photos foward rather than previously...its just a little annoying and gonna take some getting used to, i wish you get set the option of it.

sutherlandan
Oct 26, 2008, 04:08 PM
1st post here, 1st mac too :)
My 2 finger scroll is quite choppy as well...
but I can move the pointer down as smooth as I need to...
strange...
is there a setting?

Francois22
Oct 26, 2008, 05:12 PM
I can´t wait to use that new trackpad,...i already loved it on the air,...

NC MacGuy
Oct 26, 2008, 07:49 PM
The trackpad is the only reason I haven't handed mine back to Apple yet. It's truly one of the notebooks best features.

budkid
Oct 26, 2008, 08:59 PM
This new trackpad is great!!! I love how it is so easy to use and it is soooo smooth! I was just using my cousins 2007 macbook, and the pad is so rough!

RRutter
Oct 26, 2008, 09:01 PM
I love it too. So much better.

Adamo
Oct 26, 2008, 09:11 PM
Does it get sticky at all?

jsonli
Oct 26, 2008, 09:33 PM
I really hope they update the Boot Camp drivers to take advantage of multi-fingered gestures. As is, only two finger scrolling works.