Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyute

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Iowa
Just switched to mac!! I am so pumped. Got the pm g5 d1.8. One thing I have a problem with is the mouse. I am dying here without a wheel to scroll web pages. Will a simple logitech work fine? thanks for everyones help.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Almost any usb mouse should work. I use a logitech elite wireless mouse, 2 buttons (both work), thumb button, and a wheel !! I agree, get a new mac, go buy a new mouse.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Yes. Most mice work fine with OS X, including Microsoft offerings. OS X supports scroll wheel and muti button rodents.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
yeah, anything should work fine. logitech drivers are nice and allow you to configure what each button does (open folders etc).
that's one thing i really don't get with apple, who-o-why they insist on shipping such and inadiquate mouse :rolleyes:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Any USB mouse, including multi-button wheel mice, work without any drivers; I use a 3-button IBM scroll mouse at work, since it was cheap at Staples and I like the shape.

That said, if the company makes Mac drivers (for example, Logitech or Kensington), you can usually have some more fun with the mouse's features.

Personally, I have a Logitech MX500 at home, and I absolutely adore it.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by guyute
thanks everyone. I have the issue under control.:)

No, I want to respond too. I haven't told you exactly the same thing. :D

You may notice that some applications don't respond to the middle button properly and others will allow the window controls to respond to the right button when they probably shouldn't.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
there is USB overdrive, which I hear is awesome, though I never figured it out....

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by bousozoku
You may notice that some applications don't respond to the middle button properly and others will allow the window controls to respond to the right button when they probably shouldn't.

The middle button is a little too new to the Mac anyway =). The only app I know of that responds to it is Safari (for open in new Tab, maybe in new Window if you have tabbed browsing turned off). And I can't fathom why any app would respond to the non-primary button for closing windows, but low-and-behold when I try it in WMP it does :D . I guess that figures...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Rincewind42
The middle button is a little too new to the Mac anyway =). The only app I know of that responds to it is Safari (for open in new Tab, maybe in new Window if you have tabbed browsing turned off). And I can't fathom why any app would respond to the non-primary button for closing windows, but low-and-behold when I try it in WMP it does :D . I guess that figures...

The non-primary button deal is a bug/feature of the Carbon framework. It's not an individual application issue.

Maya uses the middle button just fine. :) In fact, they state that you need a 3 button mouse to operate the software.

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
Originally posted by Makosuke
Personally, I have a Logitech MX500 at home, and I absolutely adore it.

How are the logitech drivers?

Is there an action programmable for hitting the 1+2 buttons together?

Also, does the mouse track without a mousepad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.