PDA

View Full Version : Any whitebook owners upgrade to the new model?

det2004
Oct 18, 2008, 01:36 PM
I bought my first macbook last August and am really thinking hard about getting the new model. I was just wondering if anyone who had the latest whitebook upgraded to the aluminum macbook, and if they were happy with their decision. Thanks

likemyorbs
Oct 18, 2008, 01:41 PM
i did, i had to downgrade from 2.4ghz to 2ghz. i felt a little guilty about upgrading a 7 month old computer at first, but i got over it! this thing is awesome!!!!!!!! plus i sold my old one for $900

det2004
Oct 18, 2008, 01:45 PM
i did, i had to downgrade from 2.4ghz to 2ghz. i felt a little guilty about upgrading a 7 month old computer at first, but i got over it! this thing is awesome!!!!!!!! plus i sold my old one for $900

Glad to hear it. I'm definitely thinking about going to the Apple store today, I was just feeling a little guilty about replacing my just over a year old macbook, which has performed perfectly. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find a buyer for my whitebook.

likemyorbs
Oct 18, 2008, 01:48 PM
Glad to hear it. I'm definitely thinking about going to the Apple store today, I was just feeling a little guilty about replacing my just over a year old macbook, which has performed perfectly. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find a buyer for my whitebook.

over a year??? i wouldnt feel guilty at all if i were you then. just let it go and dont think about it, once you start using your new one you will be stoked. and then just sell your old one on craigslist like i did.

ec51
Oct 18, 2008, 01:51 PM
I pulled the trigger as well. 2.0 MB should be here Monday! I will be selling my sig MB on the Bay, hopefully.

likemyorbs
Oct 18, 2008, 01:57 PM
I pulled the trigger as well. 2.0 MB should be here Monday! I will be selling my sig MB on the Bay, hopefully.

no not the Bay!!!! you'll have to pay seller fees and you'l get less for it than its worth. the bay is good for buyers, but not for sellers. go with craigslist...

qwikrex
Oct 18, 2008, 03:22 PM
Me and my fiance bought a white macbook a couple weeks ago. I held off and decided to stay with my Sony Vaio NR220E running Vista. After watching the keynote, I decided to make the switch myself and picked up a 2.0 ghz Aluminum Macbook and am pretty happy with it.

Auzburner
Oct 18, 2008, 03:49 PM
I'm still fine with mine I think. My original 2.0 GHz MacBook is fantastic, next I will buy an iMac... I don't need the portable graphics performance. - That's really the only difference I see... The moment these new iMac's come out I will be at an Apple Store.

manny23lakeshow
Oct 18, 2008, 04:08 PM
I made the switch from a base model white macbook purchased in june of 2006. For me, the upgrade is worlds better. The finish is impeccable. I remember the days, bringing in my old macbook get the case replaced because of cracking. Those days are long gone! I love the size and the savings compared to the MBP. After some screen calibration, I am loving the display even more! I 100 percent do not regret this decision. I was ready to buy a new notebook, and Now I am happy that i didn't get impatient and by a pc laptop. I sat my new alu macbook next to my sisters fairly new sony SZ and her laptop hulked over mine like some kind of monstrosity. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.

:cool:

shady825
Oct 18, 2008, 05:02 PM
I bought the white MacBook and within my 14 day return policy the new one came out so i traded the white one in for the new 2.4 IM IN LOVE!!!!

cube
Oct 18, 2008, 05:04 PM
You mean DOWNGRADE

det2004
Oct 18, 2008, 05:13 PM
You mean DOWNGRADE

No, I mean "upgrade"......go cry in the corner about your need for firewire.

timestoby
Oct 18, 2008, 05:29 PM
well i just ordered the whitebook,its my first mac. the new macbooks look great and all,but since its my first mac ill be fine with the whitebook.

cube
Oct 18, 2008, 05:32 PM
No, I mean "upgrade"......go cry in the corner about your need for firewire.

According to the current MacRumos poll, it would be a downgrade for 50% of the people.

ShadowPuppet
Oct 18, 2008, 06:27 PM
According to the current MacRumos poll, it would be a downgrade for 50% of the people.

And an upgrade for the other half? :p

I was considering a previous-gen (well, current at the time of consideration) 2.4 whitebook, but hands-on performance of the X3100 really turned me off. This new Macbook is the one for me!

det2004
Oct 18, 2008, 08:17 PM

A poll conducted in a place probably many macbook owners don't know about, and also where many many people have been crying about firewire for days. Yeah, that poll doesn't seem stacked at all. :eek:

I'm sure there are a ton of macbook owners who have even heard of macrumors forums, let alone ventured to them.

And btw, I, along with many other people consider it an "upgrade"

Also, I have external hard drives, cd burners, and cameras. I've always accepted that firewire isn't available on everything, so all of the devices I bought use either firewire or usb. Usb has been more widely accepted than firewire, and you should have gotten device that could use either of them, so don't cry to apple because they phased it out. It happens all of the time in electronics.

cristo
Oct 18, 2008, 08:26 PM
i did, i had to downgrade from 2.4ghz to 2ghz.

Why?

HLdan
Oct 18, 2008, 08:33 PM
I'm still fine with mine I think. My original 2.0 GHz MacBook is fantastic, next I will buy an iMac... I don't need the portable graphics performance. - That's really the only difference I see... The moment these new iMac's come out I will be at an Apple Store.

I'm not saying you're the only one here so far that has made a sound and responsible decision but any grown up with financial responsibilities and uses their computer for any real work won't be trashing their less than a year old laptop in favor of the latest and greatest. Other things are more important to focus time and money on. It won't be that big of a jump anyway. At this point people become "consumers" and just it to have bragging rights and to show off their pretty aluminum Macbook.
Like you, I value my stuff, especially since there are lot of people that crave to have a Mac, let alone a computer at all but don't have money for any type of technology so I keep my stuff for at least 3 years before even thinking about getting rid of it. Also if it's working well I would hold onto it even longer.

In terms of many of the people on this forum Apple didn't need to lower their prices, what for? They know that people will buy their computers even if they didn't need to upgrade.

likemyorbs
Oct 18, 2008, 09:56 PM
Why?

why? because i cant afford the 1699 model. and im irritated that the 1299 model used to have 2.4ghz, and it now has 2ghz. but what are you gonna do? nothing. still worth the upgrade.

Dybbuk
Oct 18, 2008, 09:57 PM
My 2.16 May 07 has been having constant issues, so Apple's replacing it with the 2.0 Aluminum. :D

likemyorbs
Oct 18, 2008, 09:59 PM
My 2.16 May 07 has been having constant issues, so Apple's replacing it with the 2.0 Aluminum. :D

how?? its not under warranty anymore, unless you got applecare...

Dybbuk
Oct 18, 2008, 10:02 PM
how?? its not under warranty anymore, unless you got applecare...

I didn't have Applecare, but I complained anyway, and they decided keeping me as a future customer was more important I guess. ;)

Eidorian
Oct 18, 2008, 10:06 PM
My current Macbook isn't even a year old yet. I'll hold out for Nehalem.

likemyorbs
Oct 18, 2008, 10:07 PM
I didn't have Applecare, but I complained anyway, and they decided keeping me as a future customer was more important I guess. ;)

wow, good for you. and good to see apple still keeps customer service their top priority.

Dybbuk
Oct 18, 2008, 10:08 PM
wow, good for you. and good to see apple still keeps customer service their top priority.

They did a really great job. I didn't even ask for a replacement model, they offered.

BoingoBongo
Oct 18, 2008, 10:14 PM
I upgraded from a Feb '07 whitebook. HUGE difference.

The whitebook had a 60gb hard drive, 1gb RAM, a 1.83ghz processor, and the old graphics card.

It was a great computer though. That's why I was so sold on this one. The power/portability ratio can't be beat.

The lack of Firewire is a minor annoyance, but my iMac has 2 Firewire ports, so it's no biggie. :)