PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you prefer an antiglare or glossy screen?

Chris7
Oct 18, 2008, 08:58 PM
Do you prefer an antiglare or glossy screen for video editing?

I was wondering why Apple revoked the option of an antiglare screen on the new 15" MacBook Pro, so I thought I'd ask the preferences of the people here.

Thanks for your reply,
Chris

Mac In School
Oct 19, 2008, 09:28 AM
Anti-glare.

Not for the special artistic reasons you'll hear from others, but because I like to sit out on my porch with my computer in the summer.

cube
Oct 19, 2008, 09:30 AM
Why "for video editing" only?

Matte FTW.

Chris7
Oct 19, 2008, 06:08 PM
Why "for video editing" only?

Matte FTW.

When explaining why the iMacs went glossy, the guy at the local Apple store said that most people prefer glossy. I was particularly put off by the lack of the antiglare option on the new MacBook Pros, so I thought I'd see what people thought who do the kind of work that these computers were supposedly designed for -- media.

If people prefer one kind of screen for editing video and another for, say working in Word, I'd be interested in that, too.

Cinemagic
Oct 19, 2008, 06:40 PM
Antiglare most definitely. I have a non-glare 15" Macbook Pro and love it. I want to get an iMac, but refuse to put up with the glossy screen. So I have a PC with a non-glare monitor. There is a reason why many big screen TV manufactures are going with non-reflective screens. I wish Apple would do the same.

Cabbit
Oct 19, 2008, 06:43 PM
For web design i design for what consumers use and that is mostly the most common product. 13 inch macbooks and dell and co and there all glossy. For photography i use the same glossy screen because i can't see much difference and at the end of the day it did not take long to get it close to the print out and even then a fraction of a tone is not important.
For video work its for a tv, the majority are still glossy crt's so working on a glossy screen seems to make sense though i don't do much video work.

piraeus7
Oct 19, 2008, 08:04 PM
Matte undoubtedly.

Fast Shadow
Oct 19, 2008, 10:17 PM
On a laptop I prefer glossy because I use them a lot on the road and the glossy screens are easier to clean fingerprints and dirt from than matte. The downside is that viewing a glossy screen in sunlight is a major PITA.

On a machine kept indoors, especially one that I'm going to use for photo and video editing, matte is the only way to go, in my opinion. If you look at all of the high end screens such as NEC and Eizo, they're matte. And that's for a reason.