PDA

View Full Version : Apple Superbowl Ad?

MacRumors
Jan 31, 2004, 10:48 PM
MacGuardians.de (http://www.macguardians.de/) (German) claims that the Superbowl will bring a surprise for Mac users.

According to the German site, their sources imply that the Superbowl will bring something big from Apple.

Earlier articles (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031222220838.shtml), however, noted that Apple was considering a 20th anniversary Ad for this year's Superbowl... but a subsequent (Jan 20th) CNN Money article (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040115195212.shtml) revealed that Apple did not have "any plans to advertise during the Super Bowl to mark the ad's 20th anniversary."

MacGuardians has not been a particularly vocal rumor site, so their accuracy is unknown.

Grimace
Jan 31, 2004, 10:48 PM
Gotta love surprises!!!

kirk26
Jan 31, 2004, 10:53 PM
Comeon, updated PowerBook!!

restiffbard
Jan 31, 2004, 10:53 PM
I was kinda hoping to skip it and just flip over for the commercials now and then. Now I've to watch the entire thing so I can be sure I don't miss anything? Come on.

Arn, I'm counting on you to update me as soon as something happens that's interesting. By that I mean an Apple commercial. I'll be teaching myself illustrator.

rikers_mailbox
Jan 31, 2004, 10:54 PM
G5 PowerBooks.

. . . I love the G5 PowerBook rumor, it's always around. :D

-rik

alset
Jan 31, 2004, 10:54 PM
Isn't there some place where you can look up which companies have bought air time? I keep thinking that there is...

Dan

LimeiBook86
Jan 31, 2004, 10:55 PM
Come on Apple surprise me, I'll be taping the superbowl so i'll hope to catch any good ads.

Icedog
Jan 31, 2004, 10:57 PM
Please oh please let it be G5 Powerbook.. I want a new laptop... and new Mac in just about forever... I'm ready to purchase my new laptop but want to wait to see if this brings a G5 Powerbook!! (I need some way to show up my dad!!)

JtheLemur
POWERBOOK ME, BABY

tveric
This is the same crap we've been swallowing for weeks. Even if something turns out to be actually happening tomorrow (which it won't) it'll only be because if you keep saying "something big happening tomorrow!" every day, eventually you're going to be right.

taylan
Jan 31, 2004, 11:03 PM
ahh... there we go again.

nope, i lost all hope for a near future powerbook update.

:mad:

gsabin
Originally posted by alset
Isn't there some place where you can look up which companies have bought air time? I keep thinking that there is...

Dan

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=39561

cr2sh
Originally posted by Macrumors
the Superbowl will bring something big from Apple.
In two words... "It better." :)

The ONLY reason I'll be watching the superbowl tomorrow, is because I'm hoping for an Apple surprise.

mrdeep
Jan 31, 2004, 11:07 PM
I demand displays.

mayhaps a 30" or just updated 23"/20"/17" ... we're supposed to expect something big? ... a 30" display would be pretty big

dho
Jan 31, 2004, 11:12 PM
darn, so much for doing homework tommorow :(

Phillip
Jan 31, 2004, 11:13 PM
i have lost all hope... :(

jeffgarden
Jan 31, 2004, 11:24 PM
i'm EyeTV-ing the superbowl - so if there is a commercial - i'll have it up and downloadable minutes after it airs

i'll make a webpage right now with nothing on it, if the commercial airs, check the page and i'll have it up there

the page:

http://homepage.mac.com/jeffgarden/superbowl.htm

with all the sites commenting on the ads and who bought how much space, i'm pretty sure all the advertisers have been revealed already. i don't know how possible it is that apple could keep a superbowl ad a secret when a whole messa sites already reviewed the ads and we know about the pepsi ads and that there will be a huge number of penis enlargement ads.

anodized
Jan 31, 2004, 11:31 PM
Since there is no hope for an Ad from Apple -- does anyone know where to get that ad from 'Computer Associates' where the ... associates to the Executive keep on getting knocked out?
"Don't worry, he told my everyth-- " *Bonk!*

:eek:

VicMacs
Jan 31, 2004, 11:32 PM
gotta be a 20th annoversary mac

Chaszmyr
Jan 31, 2004, 11:33 PM
I'd love to see it... But I just don't believe it

anodized
Jan 31, 2004, 11:34 PM
Doe anyone have a code yet for the iTunes promo? You can enter it in iTunes now...

https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/pepsiFreeSongWizard

MrMacMan
Jan 31, 2004, 11:35 PM
Where do they base this on?

I find this a load...

Apple has something so secret no one know about, even a site which's Job it is to tell us what companies have advertisements in the Superbowl...

rrriiggghtt.

Beowulf
Jan 31, 2004, 11:37 PM
Seriously, I have a lot of respect for Macrumors. But this really deserves to be page 2.

Maybe the "big news from Apple" is simply a mistake and Germany just got word about the iTunes giveaway? :D

neutrino23
Jan 31, 2004, 11:38 PM
Apple is not listed on the adage site. I give this very little credibility.

When is the last time Apple ran an ad during the SuperBowl? I think it was 1999 when they aired the HAL ad. The only others I know of are 1984 (aired in 1984) and Lemmings (aired in 1985).

If they had a spot this year I bet it would be just more of those dancing silhouettes promoting iPod. At least they could have Mini-me promote the new iPod mini.

MWSF has just ended. I think no new products will be announced for several months.

DeadEye686
Jan 31, 2004, 11:48 PM
Apple is not listed on the adage site.

That page hasn't been updated in over a week, and it is certainly possible that Apple held off until the last minute in order to preserve any bit of secrecy they could have.

I give this very little credibility.

As do I, but it gives me a little hope, so I'm happy :)

When is the last time Apple ran an ad during the SuperBowl?

When was the last time Apple had a 20th anniversary?

If they had a spot this year I bet it would be just more of those dancing silhouettes promoting iPod.

Man I hope not.

MWSF has just ended. I think no new products will be announced for several months.

That wasn't the impression I got from Jobs AT MWSF, but who knows.

aswitcher
Jan 31, 2004, 11:56 PM
As much as I want something I think hoping for more than iPod hype is going to disappoint...

DGFan
Feb 1, 2004, 12:03 AM
Apple doesn't have to advertise during the Superbowl to release a product.....especially if people are visiting their site because of the Pepsi promotion.

On the other hand, it still may be possible they have some stealth ad during the game :)

skidoo
Feb 1, 2004, 12:03 AM
Nothing will happen. Steve does not care about us any more. He's more into his little Pixar venture. I buy iPod, I buy G4, I buy Powerbook, I buy G5! I'm a good Mac customer, but nothing will happen tomorrow to please me.

aswitcher
Feb 1, 2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by DGFan
SNIP

On the other hand, it still may be possible they have some stealth ad during the game :)

Yeah Steve on a new 20" powerbook G5 with in built isight talking to some muso about iTunes ;) :D

ibookster
Feb 1, 2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by skidoo
Nothing will happen. Steve does not care about us any more. He's more into his little Pixar venture. I buy iPod, I buy G4, I buy Powerbook, I buy G5! I'm a good Mac customer, but nothing will happen tomorrow to please me.

If you need more gadgets than that to be entertained, then you have a problem my friend :)

Sabenth
Feb 1, 2004, 12:08 AM
it comes if not it dont not like we should be exspecting anything other than iTunes 5 200 million songs for free instead of 100 and maybe a new g5 Powerbook :D

aswitcher
Feb 1, 2004, 12:13 AM
MacGuardians.de (http://www.macguardians.de/) (German) claims that the Superbowl will bring a surprise for Mac users.

According to the German site, their sources imply that the Superbowl will bring something big from Apple.

SNIP

Its probably just Steve's jam session from MWSF 04' for free :p

skidoo
Feb 1, 2004, 12:13 AM
Hell Yeah!
I need more gadget my friend. All my mac products are great, but need more, more more!
I hope theres more coming tomorrow. I work in Prepress, the fast the machine, the faster i can go.

Phazer80s
Feb 1, 2004, 12:14 AM
I just can't help but be suspicious of the composite job Apple had done for the '1984:2004' ad. A lot of time, effort and money must have been spent to add the iPod to the runners hip (and the fluid motion of the headphone cords.) It's one thing to reissue the ad; it's another to add such a minor, yet costly detail.

I figure Apple used the effects company for more work than just the iPod insertion. We'll see.

And yeah, the rumour mill has been a little *hack* dry lately.

Phazer80s
Feb 1, 2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by aswitcher
Its probably just Steve's jam session from MWSF 04' for free :p

Good one!

michaelrjohnson
Feb 1, 2004, 12:19 AM
i also see this as skeptical, however, i remember reading this past week that american express had refused to comment on thier superbowl ad plans, there also was no record of them having an ad (in the specific manner it was mentioned in). that says that there are other companies with secrecy surrounding thier superbowl plans.

that gives me hope, but i am not counting on anything by any means. it would just seem as though this anniversary would be hard to pass up, ya know? 20 years is an eternity in this industry.

arn
Feb 1, 2004, 12:21 AM
I personally don't believe it to be true.

arn

ITR 81
Feb 1, 2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by neutrino23
Apple is not listed on the adage site. I give this very little credibility.

When is the last time Apple ran an ad during the SuperBowl? I think it was 1999 when they aired the HAL ad. The only others I know of are 1984 (aired in 1984) and Lemmings (aired in 1985).

If they had a spot this year I bet it would be just more of those dancing silhouettes promoting iPod. At least they could have Mini-me promote the new iPod mini.

Fox News stated last week the SuperBowl still had 8 spots open last week.
I'm pretty sure they will fill those spots with something.

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Phazer80s
I just can't help but be suspicious of the composite job Apple had done for the '1984:2004' ad. A lot of time, effort and money must have been spent to add the iPod to the runners hip (and the fluid motion of the headphone cords.) It's one thing to reissue the ad; it's another to add such a minor, yet costly detail.

I figure Apple used the effects company for more work than just the iPod insertion. We'll see.

And yeah, the rumour mill has been a little *hack* dry lately.

Actually, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think that this would be that hard an addition to make. If it were done using animation, then, yes. But I'd bet it was done using some variation of a person in a green suit in front of a green screen, mimicking the motions of the Mac woman in the 1984 commercial.

While proper overlay of this would still be difficult and time-consuming, it wouldn't be that difficult and time-consuming.

Oh, and for the record, I'm hopeful that Apple will have a commercial for us tomorrow...

aswitcher
Feb 1, 2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Fox News stated last week the SuperBowl still had 8 spots open last week.
I'm pretty sure they will fill those spots with something.

Steve and Bill, duelling banjos, done in iPod Add black on colour format, with garage band accompanyment...

ITR 81
Feb 1, 2004, 12:43 AM
http://www.superbowl-ads.com/

CBS reported today they have over 90% of the spots filled.

So some spots still exist apparently.

Some companies will keep their Ads secret until right before the SB.

DaPt
Feb 1, 2004, 12:44 AM
Go for it Steve! Give us a little birthday present!

Well I wouldn't bet that something is coming, but from Apple's perspective, there won't be a day in the next 5 years they could get more publicity out of.
The Mac's 20th birhtday has been in the media a lot, any announcement would get a lot of attention.

For sure advertising at the Superbowl is expensive, but it would be worth it.
At least if it was something BIG, a Powermac speedbump won't be enough.

miradu
Feb 1, 2004, 12:48 AM
Who says that CBS has to publically announce all the companies that have bought airtime? Couldn't apple have put a confidentiality clause in their contract?

On another note, while this rumor itself seems untrue, I do recall there being MANY rumors of apple working on a superbowl ad for the last year, and I would not of been surprised if the CNN money article was a plant to keep people off gaurd. Companies are known to do that often for marketing..

And more so, Apple has done absolutly nothing about the 20th anniversary, NO company would ever let such a good marketing opportunity go to waste.

Last of all, the comment about the special effects on the ipod have a point - that's a lot of money spent for one little pointless showing.

pb1212580
Feb 1, 2004, 12:51 AM
It IS the year of laptop! Remember that?

But, I think it's a bigger year of Music/iTunes/iPod!!!

My bet is new iPods, maybe cheaper???

Who really cares about G5 PBs at the Superbowl?

It's a chance to advertise and they are joined force with Pepsi. It's GOTA be something music related!!!

Maybe LOWERING the price to 88 cents? (To compete with Wal Mart; not that it's a real competitor at this point)

can't wait :)
my 2 cents!

sethypoo
Feb 1, 2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh

The ONLY reason I'll be watching the superbowl tomorrow, is because I'm hoping for an Apple surprise.

Prepare to be dissapointed.

According to AdAge, nothing is coming from Apple, unless they go through Pepsi and use one of their ad spots, which isn't going to happen.

heuer007
Feb 1, 2004, 01:03 AM
its highly unlikely something will happen tomorrow, BUT, there are spots left, and that leaves everything up for grabs. But most importantly, I highly doubt that apple is gonna use a spot, if they have one, simply for product updates (powerbook g5s) which 95% of people wont give 2 ****s about, and second for price drops (ipod, iTMS, etc) if they do have an ad I can almost guarentee you it would be something HUGE, likely a 20th anniversary mac, or another revolutionary new gizmo

jnasato
Feb 1, 2004, 01:05 AM
I believe in you Apple...
I believe.

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by miradu
...And more so, Apple has done absolutly nothing about the 20th anniversary, NO company would ever let such a good marketing opportunity go to waste....

This is the one thing that makes me suspect that something will happen. After all, isn't the Superbowl the 20th anniversary of the 1984 commercial (if we were to look at the event, rather than the date of airing)? So, in that sense, isn't the Superbowl an appropriate formal marker for the 20th anniversary of the Mac?

We've been told that Apple had some big plans that for the 20th anniversary, but we haven't seen anything yet. The only thing that seems to make sense to me is that the 'big plans' are coming with the Superbowl.

While this is, of course, simply speculation, it's enough to give me hope...

pjkelnhofer
Feb 1, 2004, 01:40 AM
First off, as some one who works for a television station and deals a lot with ad buyers, it is not uncommon for a company to keep a Super Bowl commercial secret (heck three years ago there were dot.com's that kept their whole existence secret until their Super Bowl ad - of course a year later they were out of business). I don't think it is true I suspect some one has gotten their wires crossed on the Pepsi/iTunes spot.

That said, I amazed at the number of people who seem to have given up on Apple ever updating anything again. Someday there will G5 PowerBooks, Dual 3 GHz PowerMacs, etc. and the SuperBowl is an obvious place to launch new products (particularly for Apple 20 years after the original Mac ad). So you never know.

I view it like all other "updates tomorrow" rumors, I don't get my hopes up and I am presently suprised every now and again. So I will be watching the Super Bowl tomorrow hoping for the best (from Apple that is). Plus, I will be at work and watching is part of my job tomorrow.

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 01:43 AM
This is the same crap we've been swallowing for weeks.

i have lost all hope... :(

Since there is no hope for an Ad from Apple...

I find this a load...

I give this very little credibility.
I think no new products will be announced for several months.

It's amazing to me how pessemistic everyone here seems to be. I'm always optomistic when it comes to things like this. I was optomistic about the possibility of a G5 PowerBook being released along side a G5 Power Mac. It didn't happen. Oh well. Life goes on.

wdw_
Feb 1, 2004, 01:46 AM
ooooooh. I just imagined a great commercial.

out of no where comes clips from all the mac commercials (that actually feature macs) over the years in chronological order and fast motion. Then once it gets through all 20 years of commercials in about 15 seconds it lands on some kind of machine in silhouette slowly turning. and up come "Coming Soon" and the apple logo fades up.

Then let the rumors fly!

oh it would be great.
:p

spaceballl
Feb 1, 2004, 01:46 AM
Dude, the rumor is from a german site. Germans don't even know what football is.
-Kevin

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 01:58 AM
Apple's size now isn't comparible to its size back in 1984 or any ther time Apple airedd a Super Bowl commercial. In order for Apple to air a commercial they must unveil something huge.

Something like a new processor, or a new machine that isn't like anything we've ever seen. Sure, Pepsi can unveil an ad for the iPod, but Pepsi is a huge company with money... as is Apple, but not with comparable ammounts of green. Appropriate times for the release of such a commercial would be the unveiling of the G5 or original iMac, not the unveiling of another Powerbook with a processor that's already availabe, not a screen or projector,not a speed bump. If Apple was to give us an entirely new machine in its own class between the G5 and the iMac, or something comletely new, crazy and unexpected. It hasn't been that long since the unveiling of the G5 or 17" Powerbook. So it has been a while since the 17", but Apple's not going to pitch a Super Bowl commercial for it. The 23" screen that stands behind my keyboard was announced more than a little while back, so it's overdue for an upgrade, but again, not Super Bowl material.

Apple wouldn't give us the hint of a 20th anniversary Mac. Oh! that's because they released one of those in '97 and inacurately named it 20th Anniversary Mac instead of the more proper title, 20th Anniversary Apple.

It's pretty easy to calculate the times Apple gives us speedbumps and more-of -the-same upgrades on machines that are already in production; however, it's dawm near impossible to predict Apple's sudden new inventions which stand in my mind as the only possibility of Super Bowl ad material. Apple has not given us one clue as to what may come in days near, I would expect a completely stalth speed bump of the G5 in coming days. I wouldn't hold my breath for the unveiling of a G5 powerbook. The 970 runs hot and was initially meant for servers. I wouldn't expect either in a machine other than a PowerMac and 1U Server G5 that we already have. At least for a while. On the other hand, Steve did belittle the potency of the G4, witch leaves the mind to wander if Steve would insult a processor that he's willing to sell for a while longer, or replace it. Maybe Steve just wanted to sell the G5, but what about the market that can't afford it and was previously looking into an iMac G4? Would they run from Apple because its own CEO insulted their machine, would they end up buying the inferior P4 that would cost the same price (more or less) as a G4 iMac?

I hurt during these times that are to be so celebrated, a twentieth anniversary of my favorite company, yet, they are powerless to indulge their festivities. Damw, I hate Steve sometimes. Sometimes because I feel that he's a blind leader, sometimes because I feel that he's holding me in a headlock and I can't see what he's peddling. I'm nervous, Apple's only getting weaker with the recent demoralizations from the entire broken board iBook thing among other screw-ups.

Today, as Sunday begins, as 2:00 AM displays at the top-left corner of my screen, I fear that Apple will take another step in the direction that it took with that Apple-Microsoft thing in '97. I fear the announcement of a Mac OS X for Intel Machines, the absoute signal of Apple's edging towards doom.

I'm nervous, I have been for the past few months, help me.

-Julio

verb
Feb 1, 2004, 01:59 AM
I don't understand why the rumors are always about a G5 in any of the products when the fastest G4 (1.42Ghz) hasn't even made the rounds yet. The fastest G4 you can get new is in the 17" powerbook and it's 1.33Ghz.

Wouldn't you think the "next" thing for both the Powerbook and iMac line would be a simple speed bump? However if that was true I wonder what is taking so long. The G4 1.42Ghz debuted in the Powermac a year ago. We've had G5 powermacs for 6 months. How come the speedier G4s didn't filter down to the rest of the line instead?

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 02:00 AM
maybe its because the G4s at higher Mhz run too hot. Or maybe they need too much power.

SiliconAddict
Feb 1, 2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by spaceballl
Dude, the rumor is from a german site. Germans don't even know what football is.
-Kevin

:rolleyes: The world’s collective IQ just dropped 2 points.

SiliconAddict
Feb 1, 2004, 02:04 AM
Unfortunately I need to go into work and setup a laptop tomorrow for a new user Monday so no superbowl for me. *shrugs* Its not as if there aren’t going to be 10,000 copies of the ad on the net if Apple does pull a fast one.

Santaduck
Feb 1, 2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by rikers_mailbox
G5 PowerBooks.

. . . I love the G5 PowerBook rumor, it's always around. :D

-rik

Must be a typo.

I'm sure you meant:

:o "The G5 Cube rumor"

btw: nice post 'howtoplaydead'...

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by verb
I don't understand why the rumors are always about a G5 in any of the products when the fastest G4 (1.42Ghz) hasn't even made the rounds yet. The fastest G4 you can get new is in the 17" powerbook and it's 1.33Ghz.

Wouldn't you think the "next" thing for both the Powerbook and iMac line would be a simple speed bump? However if that was true I wonder what is taking so long. The G4 1.42Ghz debuted in the Powermac a year ago. We've had G5 powermacs for 6 months. How come the speedier G4s didn't filter down to the rest of the line instead?

The 1.42GHz G4 is an overclocked processor. So, it's really too hot to try to put into a mobile setting. The iMac may see it, but there's a degree to which I doubt we'll ever see a 1.42GHz G4, unless we get a new G4 class chip. (This could be the infamous 7457 from Moto - anyone want to hold your breath on that one? - or the oft rumored 750VX from IBM - the supposed G3+Altivec processor that could be called a G4. Either way, it doesn't seem too likely...)

Santaduck
Feb 1, 2004, 02:14 AM
hold your breath?

the 7457 is shipping in 3rd party products now... as all i care about is the Cube (with wimpy power supply), go to powerlogix.com and see the 7457 offerings available now there, in both 1.2 and 1.4 flavors. It even has L3 if I remember correctly, whereas the apple-branded products with 7457 do not (again, if I remember correctly)

but again we're straying offtopic...

Pepsi is a big company, but they're not buying 1 ad, apparently they have several. Apple could do one, if given a reason.

I don't think an upgraded G5 (w/the same processor in the current Xserves) comes close to rating a SB ad (even in my dreamland Cube formfactor), and I agree that a PB upgrade doesn't cut it either.

The transference of Lisa tech to a home computer was certainly big news (hello GUI)... I'm not sure what could rate it today...

IMHO perhaps:

* os X for intel boxes (as above, but not likely as below)
* totally novel technology living product
* $100 ipod [or some other way to further cement their market dominance of their online music store in N. American markets (other than the pepsi promo)]
* an Apple-branded PDA with proprietary OS

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 02:18 AM
Thanks Santaduck, if you notice, I've only been here today, I registered in feb. 2004.

I enjoy the encouragement.

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by howtoplaydead
... I'm nervous, Apple's only getting weaker with the recent demoralizations from the entire broken board iBook thing among other screw-ups...

Interesting... I don't see Apple as getting weaker. There may have been some issues lately, but, in my experience, there hasn't been a year that has gone by since Apple started that there weren't some issues going on. It also seems that there are always doom-sayers that point to these and proclaim that Apple is on its last legs...

...Today, as Sunday begins, as 2:00 AM displays at the top-left corner of my screen...

Uh... What platform are you on? Or is that a clock application that you have that displays at the upper left corner?

...I fear that Apple will take another step in the direction that it took with that Apple-Microsoft thing in '97. I fear the announcement of a Mac OS X for Intel Machines, the absoute signal of Apple's edging towards doom.

I think that you can pretty well rest assured that this isn't going to happen any time soon. Even if it did, more likely than not, Apple would simply produce new machines that used their own chipsets that just happened to have Intel chips at their hearts. These wouldn't be regular PCs and OS X wouldn't run on regular PCs. But, Apple has just released a new processor with IBM, and I highly doubt that they'd be so stupid as to simply flush all of the money that they've spent on the development of this new line by switching to the x86 architectur.

So, be calm. Things aren't as bad as that...

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 02:30 AM
like i said, i'm nervous, i meant right corner of my screen.

Apple hasn't reported a increase in its quarterly reports in a while before this latest one. Regardless of this most recent report, I still feel uneasy.

When in the subject of Mac OS X for the intel world, I meant the steps that NeXT took into only the manufacture of its operating system, I don't foresee this coming too soon.

thanks for the conforting message

Santaduck
Feb 1, 2004, 02:36 AM
darn i was just thinking of the picture (http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2004-01-28) I saw at macbidouille recently of a G5 gutted & replaced with an Wintel mobo...
this with your previous post about development costs of the G5 with IBM...

the most hellish thing misstep for Apple that i can think of is the introduction of a G5 that can run XP natively, in a G5 cheesegrater case. brrrrrrrrr.

true777
Feb 1, 2004, 02:43 AM
-Kevin

I think the global IQ dropped more than 2pts on this one.
Get your facts straight before throwing out such biased, unsubstantiated, culturally insensitive, and plain wrong assertions about others you obviously know little about.

Football - or "American Football", as it is called in Germany - has become a popular sport in Germany over the last 10-20 years. It is both actively practiced, and televised regularly on the sports channels. While certainly not as popular as soccer, most everyone has a pretty good idea about the basic rules and look-and-feel of Football.

You statement is no smarter than saying Americans don't even know what soccer is.

Santaduck
Feb 1, 2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by true777
You statement is no smarter than saying Americans don't even know what soccer is.

erm. touche!
uh... that showed him!
:winkwinkrolleyez
[/ sidebar]
[begin="ontopic"]

reedm007
Feb 1, 2004, 02:48 AM
Apple hasn't reported a increase in its quarterly reports in a while before this latest one. Regardless of this most recent report, I still feel uneasy.

When in the subject of Mac OS X for the intel world, I meant the steps that NeXT took into only the manufacture of its operating system, I don't foresee this coming too soon.

Hey man, don't worry. Apple is stronger than it has been in a long time. In 1984 when Apple aired its first ad, it was hardly a blip on the radar.. a tiny company still. Apple's stronger now than it has been in a while.

With successes like iPod, iTunes, G5, Xserve, Mac OS X, APple's doing well. And don't let the quarterly numbers scare you, they're actually quite good in general, both in terms of their own progress, but also when compared to all other tech companies. Apple's doing amazingly well, and their most recent quarter was incredibly outstanding. You have nothing to worry about..

In 1996... yeah, you had something to worry about :)

arn
Feb 1, 2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by verb

there have been rumors of faster G4 PowerBooks

http://page2.macrumors.com

Adam Betts
Feb 1, 2004, 02:52 AM
APPLE and VOLKSWAGEN..

Mark my words. You'll be surprised.

One hint: deeper integration

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 02:52 AM
http://overclockers.com/tips1133/

sometimes it takes more than one attwmpt to uploade it, mostly because our mac screens are allergic to this sort of viewing.

Parental Discretion advised.
This sort of mutilation to perfectly good dual G5 could cause damage to the brain of a loyal mac user upon first sight.

by clicking on the link above you are waiving the author of this reply completely unresponsible for damages or depression

true777
Feb 1, 2004, 02:53 AM
I don't really believe this rumor. The German site states that they have heard it from a credible source, but readily admits one sentence later that this is not set in stone and may actually prove untrue. So they have qualifiers about this, saying they are not sure about it.

I don't doubt the quality of their sources, but believe this is the same rumor we got on MR a few weeks ago when Apple apparently actually considered such an ad. It probably took a while until this trickled down to Germany, and in the meantime, Apple likely dropped their plans, as we've been told. Apple may have re-considered in a last-minute move and we may get a pleasant surprise, but I believe the chance is slim.

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 02:57 AM
i meant right corner of my screen.

Oh, okay. :)

Well, I don't think that other computer manufacturers have done that much better. In fact, I think that Apple has kept at the top of the industry in this respect.

Well, at this point, I don't think Apple has any real plans toward this, at all. Perhaps it's an idea that's kicked around, but right now Apple makes almost all of their money on their hardware. Moving to being an exclusively software/OS company would require a complete change in the model of how the company is run. To attempt this change alone could kill the company, and I'm sure that there are smart people at Apple who realize this.

thanks for the conforting message

You're welcome. :)

aswitcher
Feb 1, 2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by true777
SNIP

I don't doubt the quality of their sources, but believe this is the same rumor we got on MR a few weeks ago when Apple apparently actually considered such an ad. It probably took a while until this trickled down to Germany, and in the meantime, Apple likely dropped their plans, as we've been told. Apple may have re-considered in a last-minute move and we may get a pleasant surprise, but I believe the chance is slim.

As some posters have pointed out, the Superbowl really represents the last symbollic date to do the 20th Anniversary thing and look like they planned it all along. This date must have been on their minds for a few years now and it would make allot of sense to do something computer orientated for it. If they pulled something off like a iMac rebuild or some such then I think everyone in hindsight would accept Apple was in control all along. If they miss this date and only talk iTunes and iPods, then I think allot of us will be disappointed that they were psyked out by their last attempt at an anniversary computer or that they are distracted so badly by music...

MrSugar
Feb 1, 2004, 03:09 AM
I hope to be stunned, it has happened before. But I know in my head that Apple has little likelyhood of screwing Pepsi and releasing a brand new computer over the itunes song giveaway. Please... please let this date be the sared one.

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 03:17 AM
If they miss this date and only talk iTunes and iPods, then I think allot of us will be disappointed that they were psyked out by their last attempt at an anniversary computer or that they are distracted so badly by music...

I agree that this is an important date, but the whole music thing is where the cash is at. Apple is like MTV 2's slogan, "where the music's at" and it happens to be where the cash is at also. I have calmed myself and accepted the fact that there will be nothing beyond the advertisement of ipods and itunes (god, please let me be wrong). We should accept Apple for making money so that they can now invest in a good machine or its development. What am I thinking?
If Apple makes money selling music and music related crap, then that's all they'll make... phhpth.. so much for being calm

adamberti
Feb 1, 2004, 03:21 AM
Alright, this is a real long stretch, but the quote is
But a subsequent (Jan 20th) CNN Money article revealed that Apple did not have "any plans to advertise during the Super Bowl to mark the ad's 20th anniversary."

That's what Apple said. So maybe they're ad wont be about the 20th Aniversary, but something else. They could announce something that wasn't neccessarily aniversary related....right...right??

like I said - It's a stretch.

arsonist
Feb 1, 2004, 03:26 AM
Generally there is no trickle down time. Europe, you may be interested to know, has access to the internet. And So we can check out macrumours just as quickly as you can.

Personally, i would say they are just risking a bet here. If there is no big Apple surprise during the match, then they lose nothing. If there is something, then they get credit for having the first rumour about it.

Having said that, it's not unlikely Apple have a secret add.

James.Paul
Feb 1, 2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Adam Betts
APPLE and VOLKSWAGEN..

'vorsprung durch technik' - German company already with a link to Apple. Apple looks as though it is wanting to explore new markets. Everyone is expecting computers. Could it not be a computer but a G5 powered iCar!!!!! I like your thinking.:cool:

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 03:30 AM
adamberti,

I think that you have hit the goal most accurately this time. Apple has made two anniversary macs, both of which were rediculously priced flops. The TAM was well over $5K upon its release. The speculation over screens: I believe to be utter hogwash, Apple wouldn't spend a Super Bowl slot on a new screen unless it was a 3D holographic projection centerpiece screen with a new version of OS X that can be used in 3D. Ah yes, now this is a long strech. Maybe Apple will waste a Super Bowl ad slot on a custom, hand crafted from silk, carbon fiber and mohagony mouse pad that came soaked in holy water.
-that my friend is a long strech

check everymac.com for exact info

aswitcher
Feb 1, 2004, 03:35 AM
SNIP
Maybe Apple will waste a Super Bowl ad slot on a custom, hand crafted from silk, carbon fiber and mohagony mouse pad that came soaked in holy water.
-that my friend is a long strech

check everymac.com for exact info

I'd buy one of those :D

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 03:36 AM
quote:
APPLE and VOLKSWAGEN..

'vorsprung durch technik' - German company already with a link to Apple. Apple looks as though it is wanting to explore new markets. Everyone is expecting computers. Could it not be a computer but a G5 powered iCar!!!!! I like your thinking.

Well, there was that iPod + Beetle commercial; but i wouldn't jump from that to a G5 powered icar. my friend shoved an outdated g4/400 into the dash of his car to power his sound system, a small step from the ipod. Besides, a G5 powered car would be a miraculous waste of G5. It doesn't take a processor with the ability beyond that of a graphing calculator to control all the functions of one of today's vehicles.

arsonist
Feb 1, 2004, 03:41 AM
Well, there was that iPod + Beetle commercial; but i wouldn't jump from that to a G5 powered icar. my friend shoved an outdated g4/400 into the dash of his car to power his sound system, a small step from the ipod. Besides, a G5 powered car would be a miraculous waste of G5. It doesn't take a processor with the ability beyond that of a graphing calculator to control all the functions of one of today's vehicles.

sar·casm __ _P___Pronunciation Key__(särkzm)
n.
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.

aswitcher
Feb 1, 2004, 03:42 AM

Well a grill made from G5 mesh would be cool. :p

No problems with chip over heating either: :D

If the thing fully intergrated sat nav - car phone (bluetooth) - synch with home machine via wifi/network synch (ipod?) - radio - sterio (itunes) etc and made it all easy to use via audio commands etc I would suggest their would be a geek market for the Golf range.

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 03:44 AM
that's it,

it is nearly almost not really official, I have not slept tonight because i was spending my lifeless night checking the apple site for any updates, Apple has posted their Pepsi commercial, the one we had all already seen is now on the Apple site. All hope of something new and exciting has drained from me.

I believe this to be all the new addtions to the Apple web site for the day.

spaceballl
Feb 1, 2004, 03:48 AM
Okay first of all... my comment about germans not knowing what football was... it was a joke. Sarcasm.

But to the comments I received about football being popular in Germany/Europe, I have been out of the country studying in Spain and other parts of Europe for the past 6 months. Their "football" (soccer) is amazingly popular. They also enjoy baseball from time to time, and they really like American basketball. That being said, nobody there watches american football. They, for the most part, think it is silly. Even at American bars, you can't pick up a good football game, but you can get all the tennis matches like the U.S. Open. No college FB. No pro FB. I'm sure the superbowl gets syndicated over there, but in the end, i stand behind my overall point that american football is not popular in Europe. I back this up by having lived in Spain for four months and Switzerland for a year as well as having a significant amount of my family currently living in Europe.

So while my comment was very sarcastic and very "ugly american"ish, I enjoy a little redneck USA supremecist humor from time to time and I really do think most germans couldn't give a hoot about tomorrow's game.

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 03:50 AM
i know the meaning and pronounciation of sarcasm, as those the dude that's still playing along, aswitcher.
Actually, I still don't know how to pronounce the word sarcasm, when you typed it you neglected its spacing and sylabols not to mention the a with an arc above it. Should it have been used i might now know how to prononce sarcasm.

James.Paul
Feb 1, 2004, 03:51 AM
Do you ever watch NFL Europe? Looks popular in Germany to me!

Diatribe
Feb 1, 2004, 04:07 AM
Football, and I mean REAL football, is not that popular in Europe nor in Germany in particular. But that being said, it is not unpopular either, it just doesn't have the fanbase it has in the States. It's not that they don't give a sh**, it's just nobody really knows anything about it, and who likes to watch games in the middle of the night, not knowing the rules? One may call that ignorant, but then again 85% of the American public don't even know where the hell Iraq is...
I love football, but everyone has their own interests, so who the hell cares?
As for the ad... we might as well see something, we might not, either way a lot of people seem to have a lot of money to spend and are just anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new $2000 product... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys :D

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 04:18 AM
i use to live in brazil, it wasn't until i came here that i learned the rules of 'american football', or how to capitalize things, or not, or manage to make entire posts w/ out any capitals, or make run-on sentences. however, i did know that it existed.

arsonist
Feb 1, 2004, 05:08 AM
i know the meaning and pronounciation of sarcasm, as those the dude that's still playing along, aswitcher.
Actually, I still don't know how to pronounce the word sarcasm, when you typed it you neglected its spacing and sylabols not to mention the a with an arc above it. Should it have been used i might now know how to prononce sarcasm.

Sorry about that, i just did a quick copy and paste from dictionary.com

Maybe you should go there to look for your "sylabols". Hee hee, hee hee hee.

:D

arsonist
Feb 1, 2004, 05:16 AM
What time is this match on at? I`m on Central European time here.

Also, I would imagine American Football is unpopular in Europe because we have rugby, which is pretty much the exact same sport except without the armour.

It would be VERY cool to have the Rugby teams play the American football teams.

(like in Ireland we play our Gaelic teams against the Australian "Aussie Rules" football teams. Its very fun).l

Stike
Feb 1, 2004, 05:42 AM
-Kevin
Hahaha! Yeah, right!
I will watch it... and I am from Germany...

Squire
Feb 1, 2004, 06:09 AM
IF there's a Superbowl ad from Apple, I'm also of the opinion that it would be huge and different- not displays, not even computers. Now I know the Superbowl is one of the most watched events on TV (second only to the World Cup, isn't it?) but if you consider the target audience, are they also Apple's target consumer? I have absolutely no training or education in advertising but I think the average Superbowl viewer and the average Mac user (or consumer interested in the majority of Apple products) are two different animals.

This said, I believe that this rumored ad will be for a product aimed at the Superbowl viewer.

Enter the iBox (or whatever the proposed set-top box is code named). A product for intellectuals, business-minded people, men, women, children, active people, couch potatoes, everyone.

Squire

<edit: I just checked the TV schedule to see what time the game is on. It's on the American Forces Network here which doesn't show any commercials. Incidentally, there's a program on tomorrow night called The Superbowl's Greatest Commercials. Might be interesting.>

rdowns
Feb 1, 2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by MrSugar
I hope to be stunned, it has happened before. But I know in my head that Apple has little likelyhood of screwing Pepsi and releasing a brand new computer over the itunes song giveaway. Please... please let this date be the sared one.

Screw Pepsi? Pepsi is beginning a new promotion to give away music to purchasers of some of their products. Despite what you may read here, this is not an Apple ad but merely mentions of of the Apple brands as it is the method of redeeming the prizes. How would Apple advertising something else "screw" Pepsi? They don't even target the same demographic (maybe iPod and iTunes does).

Scene in the typical American living room:

Ad: Presenting the new G5 iMac, celebrating 20 years of the Macintosh.

Teenager: Like, OMG, a new $2,500 computer. I'm like so going to not buy Pepsi for a year to save up for one of them.

redAPPLE
Feb 1, 2004, 06:58 AM
-Kevin

ha ha. i hope they did not mean an apple (fruit) in a tupperware super bowl:D

rdowns
Feb 1, 2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Squire
IF there's a Superbowl ad from Apple, I'm also of the opinion that it would be huge and different- not displays, not even computers. Now I know the Superbowl is one of the most watched events on TV (second only to the World Cup, isn't it?) but if you consider the target audience, are they also Apple's target consumer? I have absolutely no training or education in advertising but I think the average Superbowl viewer and the average Mac user (or consumer interested in the majority of Apple products) are two different animals.

Last year's game on ABC was watched by 138.9 million people in the US or 51% of the population. Seems to me lots of their target demographics can be found there; maybe even a switcher or two.

Squire
Feb 1, 2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by rdowns
Last year's game on ABC was watched by 138.9 million people in the US or 51% of the population. Seems to me lots of their target demographics can be found there; maybe even a switcher or two.

I do not believe that 51% of the US population watched that game, no matter what any statistic says. My guess is that 51% of the households were tuned into the game.

The average football viewer is an adult male.

I appreciate the stat but I simply don't believe it in the way you worded it.

Squire

P.S. What were the results of the MacRumors Poll asking who was going to watch the game?

Hoopsup07
Feb 1, 2004, 07:59 AM
20 years ago Apple posted their "teaser" for the Mac at the Superbowl with the actual product being released Monday. I think its possible this will happen again. They probably signed a contract just like they did with GarageBand.com to keep everything secret. I think we will see a "teaser" trailer of a new product to be released tommorrow.

JJTiger1
Feb 1, 2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by arsonist
{snippage}

CBS television network coverage of the Super Bowl begins at 5:00 PM USA Central time. Kickoff is supposed to be at 5:45 PM.
... 45 minutes of commercials and commentary.

Of course I could whine for a G5 laptop, but I may as well whine for the return of beige. :p

Or I could whine: if Apple doesn't release a new model computer right-this-second, I am going to buy a $400 Dell.:rolleyes:
=-=
JJ

billyboy
Feb 1, 2004, 08:07 AM
IF if you consider the target audience, are they also Apple's target consumer? I have absolutely no training or education in advertising but I think the average Superbowl viewer and the average Mac user (or consumer interested in the majority of Apple products) are two different animals.

Everyone is looking for the Superbowl to debut a super fast G5 PB, or a dual processor 3 GHz, or some incredible technological computer breakthrough, but such products would be way out of the financial reach of most Mac users, let alone the majority of viewers.

Where has any previous special edition Mac got Apple marketshare? Anywhere? Nowhere? I get the feeling that Apple are thinking a lot more expansively now. Think of iTunes as the Apple marketing model now.

(Conjecture) If you download a winning tune, what are you going to play it on? - Apple are hoping, an iPod. They got that based covered on their website.

What are you going to actually download iTunes onto? At the moment 95% will be downloading to a PC. If anything is going to get Apple noticed and win public minds over to buying an actual Mac computer, Apple has to admit that surfing Sally and emailing Mickey do judge a basic no frills computer on price.

Therefore I would bet that if anything is launched for Superbowl, which is highly doubtful, it will be something simple that makes viewers go wow, twice.

Firstly, has the general public actually ever seen the Mac Operating System at work? What would be more wow than seeing a demo of Panther handling iTunes, plus some snazzy demo of it integrating with the rest of iLife.

Then just as viewers think they like that a lot, but it'll cost a bomb to get the computer that does all that stuff, the camera backs off the desktop to reveal a computer obviously made by the company that makes the user-friendly iPod.

Ladies and gentlemen, Apple 's birthday treat could be an ad for the 20th anniversary eMac or something "entry level" - and the biggest wow will be when millions see the manageable price. (/Conjecture)

JJTiger1
Feb 1, 2004, 08:08 AM
[i]{snippage}

{snippage}[/B]

The average new computer buyer is an adult male. :cool:

=-=
JJ

aljawad
Feb 1, 2004, 08:26 AM
OK, I'll be a conservative observer - albeit open-minded to all opinions. I look at the potentiality of the TV commercial itself.
I seem to recall that the airing of the “1984” commercial during the 1984 Superball wasn’t in fact the first showing! Towards the end of 1983 the commercial was indeed aired in some local station late at night. That was done so that the commercial would be eligible for the equivalent of the Oscar awards that are handed to TV commercials and media advertisements (I think the whole story is told in “The Apple Bathroom Reader” or “Apple Confidential”, I’m sorry I have neither of these books handy at the moment).
Now, I’m not sure if the rules haven’t changed over the years, but would Apple air something big along the lines of the original “1984” commercial today without airing it previously to guarantee its eligibility in this years nominations?
Now, on the other hand, Apple might simply air the new “1984:2004” commercial – I don’t think older commercials will be eligible for nominations anyhow – with a new caption (something like: “On Feb. ##, Apple will introduce?????, and you’ll see why … “). Or, even simpler, neither Apple nor the company producing the commercial would have any interest in any awards – though I doubt it.
Again, I’m no expert on this subject; if someone here has more knowledge regarding high profile TV commercials, please enlighten the rest of us
;)

wordmunger
Feb 1, 2004, 09:02 AM
Okay, just heard the copywriter from the original 1984 ad on the radio. He's now a bigshot at another ad firm. He had a fascinating take on the ad, and a real understanding of its importance. Most interesting factoid: when Chiat/Day showed the ad to the Apple board of directors, the first comment was "Move to fire Chiat/Day effective immediately." Jobs fought for the ad and even Woz came in with an offer to pay for half of it with his own money (this was after he had left Apple). Neat interview. If Apple could pull off a surprise like "1984" again it would be truly amazing.

I don't expect miracles like a PBG5 or 3GHZ G5s, but it would be neat to see Apple launch an aggressive new ad campaign.

micvog
Feb 1, 2004, 09:29 AM
In order not to be disappointed, I officially don't think Apple will have their own commercial during the SuperBowl, but if they did, I would guess it would be for iOffice.

JJTiger1
Feb 1, 2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by wordmunger
{snippage}

I don't expect miracles like a PBG5 or 3GHZ G5s, but it would be neat to see Apple launch an aggressive new ad campaign.

I agree.
=-=
The updated iPod runner ad would be a nice touch for the Super Bowl.

An iPod ad with silhouettes of suburban people groovin' to Classical tunes, or Country Western tunes, would be a welcome departure from the current ads that only feature the inner-city youth and their unique culture tunes.

Are the European, African, Asian, Austrailian, and South American market iPod ads the same as the USA/North American market ads? :confused:
=-=
JJ

JJTiger1
Feb 1, 2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by micvog
In order not to be disappointed, I officially don't think Apple will have their own commercial during the SuperBowl, but if they did, I would guess it would be for iOffice.

iOffice = MS Office 2004 For Mac. :(
=-=
JJ

Squire
Feb 1, 2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by JJTiger1
Are the European, African, Asian, Austrailian, and South American market iPod ads the same as the USA/North American market ads? :confused:
=-=
JJ

Good question. I've never seen an iPod commercial over here. However, a few weeks ago, a subway whizzed by me with the multi-colored background/black silhouette posters plastered on the side. I was surprised. Despite the massive mp3 market here, I'm the only person I know with an iPod. (I guess that's why they need the ads.)

Squire

rdowns
Feb 1, 2004, 09:50 AM
I do not believe that 51% of the US population watched that game, no matter what any statistic says. My guess is that 51% of the households were tuned into the game.

I appreciate the stat but I simply don't believe it in the way you worded it.

Squire

P.S. What were the results of the MacRumors Poll asking who was going to watch the game?

My quote is from NY Newsday, today's edition. The SB is an event that many people who never watch football watch. Yes, the average football viewer is an adult male, however, that does not hold true for the SB.

MacRumors poll? Give me a break, this sites visitors are hardly representative of the population.

Speaking of non-representative polls, my office football pool is lucky to get 20 people a week to pay $5 to play out of 160 employees. 100 Super Bowl boxes at $10 a pop sold out in a day and a half.

noel4r
Feb 1, 2004, 10:00 AM

I hope so, BUT I DONT THINK SO!!!

Dont get your hopes up. Nothing but the iTunes promotion will happen.

Omek
Feb 1, 2004, 10:32 AM
20th Anniversary G5 Cube anyone?

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 10:35 AM
IF there's a Superbowl ad from Apple, I'm also of the opinion that it would be huge and different- not displays, not even computers. Now I know the Superbowl is one of the most watched events on TV (second only to the World Cup, isn't it?)

No, the Super Bowl is only second to the final of the World Cup. Witch Brazil will win in 2006 and Gemany will win 2010. (yes, I do have this figured out)

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 10:42 AM
IFNow I know the Superbowl is one of the most watched events on TV (second only to the World Cup, isn't it?) but if you consider the target audience, are they also Apple's target consumer? I have absolutely no training or education in advertising but I think the average Superbowl viewer and the average Mac user (or consumer interested in the majority of Apple products) are two different animals.

I believe that Apple would use the superbowl as a means to profir much like the way they did in '84 when their machine sold 50% beyond their expectations. If Apple was to do it again, it would have to be to celebrate that old occurence.

This said, I believe that this rumored ad will be for a product aimed at the Superbowl viewer.

Enter the iBox (or whatever the proposed set-top box is code named). A product for intellectuals, business-minded people, men, women, children, active people, couch potatoes, everyone.

Squire

<edit: I just checked the TV schedule to see what time the game is on. It's on the American Forces Network here which doesn't show any commercials. Incidentally, there's a program on tomorrow night called The Superbowl's Greatest Commercials. Might be interesting.>

Not all ads have been announced (I don't think every last one will be until the final second or after). I could be that Apple is being all secretive again

Selecter
Feb 1, 2004, 10:52 AM
Apples not going to do any Superbowl ads. Why spend the money? Pepsi is doing most of the work and Apple saves the cash.

They are going to intro anything during the superbowl.....BESIDES the pepsi deal. Thats what the focus is on. Wait another 3 to 4 weeks for the other stuff.

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by aljawad
OK, I'll be a conservative observer - albeit open-minded to all opinions. I look at the potentiality of the TV commercial itself.
I seem to recall that the airing of the “1984” commercial during the 1984 Superball wasn’t in fact the first showing! Towards the end of 1983 the commercial was indeed aired in some local station late at night. That was done so that the commercial would be eligible for the equivalent of the Oscar awards that are handed to TV commercials and media advertisements (I think the whole story is told in “The Apple Bathroom Reader” or “Apple Confidential”, I’m sorry I have neither of these books handy at the moment).
Now, I’m not sure if the rules haven’t changed over the years, but would Apple air something big along the lines of the original “1984” commercial today without airing it previously to guarantee its eligibility in this years nominations?
Now, on the other hand, Apple might simply air the new “1984:2004” commercial – I don’t think older commercials will be eligible for nominations anyhow – with a new caption (something like: “On Feb. ##, Apple will introduce?????, and you’ll see why … “). Or, even simpler, neither Apple nor the company producing the commercial would have any interest in any awards – though I doubt it.
Again, I’m no expert on this subject; if someone here has more knowledge regarding high profile TV commercials, please enlighten the rest of us
;)

I would love that concluding statement: and you'll see how 2004 will be like 1984. Just in hopes that Apple gets the same sales as 1984.

Or more humerous yet: and you'll see how 2004 will be like "1984".

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Omek
20th Anniversary G5 Cube anyone?

That might actually land a Superbowl spot, too bad it ain't gonna happen

NightThree
Feb 1, 2004, 11:02 AM
I tihnk what most people are forgetting is that this isn't a Macworld keynote; it's the Super Bowl. If Apple does something, as other people have said, it hopefully (business-wise) wouldn't be "Presenting the 1.5 GHz PowerBook G5." They'll have 30 seconds to leave an impression, and most people will just say, "Ho-hum, that's nice, I guess."

Consider the atmosphere in 1984. Mac was a dramatic change and really helped bring computing to the consumer. Besides, not a lot of people had heard of Apple (at least not to the extent that they're known now).

Think of yourself as an ad agency. You're appealing to tens or hundreds of millions of "normal" (ie, non-geek) consumers. Most of them will, unfortunately, have the impression that Apple is a company that offers expensive computers for students that won't work with any of the programs they have now. Apple has to do something to change that - or build on it. They did that with iPod and iTunes. Apple would be spending close to three million dollars to launch a product - it's not going to be a new accessory for the iPod. The 10% off iPods for yesterday and today in combo with the effects done on the 1984 commerical lead me to think that they'd do something with music - something really revolutionary that everyone could use.

I'm not saying that I think Apple will do anything at all. But about the lack of reports of Apple buying time: remember, this is a company that secures large, black drapes over posters at trade shows before they announce products.

jero
Feb 1, 2004, 11:05 AM
i'll beleive it when i see it. rumors coming from the most reliable sources i still would be wary.

CMYanko
Feb 1, 2004, 11:45 AM
I just want to go on the record as saying, there will be an ad during the superbowl.

I am not an insider nor do I even profess to 'know'. It is pure conjecture.

But... you buy a superbowl ad when you have something new. Apple is sitiing on a lot of cash and is at what might be a key period for their company. Job's said, 'It's the 20th aniversary and we're goinng to make something of it.' And no, I'm not talking speed bumps. I'm talking, a new tablet, digital hub or something we haven't imagined yet. Jobs kept alluding to more things to come throughout the keynote.

One final not. I bought my first Mac last sumer and I haven't been this into a computer since I was 13, and that was an 'apple' at school. This thing has me glued!

LimeiBook86
Feb 1, 2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by wdw_
ooooooh. I just imagined a great commercial.

out of no where comes clips from all the mac commercials (that actually feature macs) over the years in chronological order and fast motion. Then once it gets through all 20 years of commercials in about 15 seconds it lands on some kind of machine in silhouette slowly turning. and up come "Coming Soon" and the apple logo fades up.

Then let the rumors fly!

oh it would be great.

Hahaha! Great! I thought about this too, that would be so great! I would love that ad. :D

iTisch
Feb 1, 2004, 12:36 PM
Hi,

did someone read this ?

http://ad-rag.com/108618.php

It states that Apple has at least inquired how many spots were left after CBS moved out its own promo ads ...

Is there hope ? ;-)

Cheers,

a German :-)

jeffgarden
Feb 1, 2004, 12:40 PM
somewhat off-topic but "iCar" is already taken :P

it's iChat Auto Reply - and it's a free download for iChat so your "away messages" actually get sent to AIM users and aren't there for the 1 person in your buddy list that actually uses iChat

Trowaman
Feb 1, 2004, 12:49 PM
I doubt this will happen, but when u lose hope you lose everything. So here's hope to a lost cause.

kangaroo
Feb 1, 2004, 01:00 PM
apple's already telegraphed that the sb is going to be a launch pad for the pepsi-itune promo. that's it. even if apple had something new in the wings, they're not going to market against themselves. itunes/ipod were big holiday winners for them and this sb/pepsi tie-in is simply a way to keep the train on the rails and chugging along.

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by kangaroo
apple's already telegraphed that the sb is going to be a launch pad for the pepsi-itune promo. that's it. even if apple had something new in the wings, they're not going to market against themselves. itunes/ipod were big holiday winners for them and this sb/pepsi tie-in is simply a way to keep the train on the rails and chugging along.

where did you pull this from?

UCLAforMAC
Feb 1, 2004, 01:43 PM
maybe steve jobs will e some sort of special "surprise performer" for the halftime awards show, and give an impromtu stevenote

supercres
Feb 1, 2004, 01:54 PM
I might be pointing out the obvious here, but 2004 is already like 1984... (http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/ashcroftbio.html)

Heehee... :D

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Diatribe
Football, and I mean REAL football...

You mean, that sport that the Yanks refer to as 'soccer'? Depending on your audience, 'real football' means different things. Given that we're in a mixed audience a statement like this looks quite biased. I'd encourage you to use terms like 'American football', and 'European football' (though the latter is a little tenuous, as 'football' is the same game just about everywhere in the world except that US - so maybe it should be 'everyone else's football').

Peace.

MacFan25
Feb 1, 2004, 02:33 PM
I have my doubts that there will be an Apple commercial, besides the iTunes one, but I am still optimistic. Apple has been known to surprise us before though.

I'll probably be watching and waiting. :)

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 02:47 PM
Here's an interesting idea for a commercial...

With the theme of 2001: A Space Odyssey, have a silhouette of a block surrounded by cavemen, which is slowly illuminated to reveal that it is an original Mac. Then, with a transition of some kind, we have a view of Jupiter, perhaps with the ship from 2001 in the background, and another silhouetted block. This time it's ______

Possible things to fill in the blank:

* A G5 tower (quad? dual 3GHz?)
* A new entry level G5 eMac/iMac?
* G5 PowerBook?

Okay, it's far fetched, but I like the symbolism. In the stone age of computers the original Mac came and lead the way, now we have a new generation of Mac...

Of course, I'd guess that such symbolism would actually be lost on most SB viewers. But, then again, I'd guess the same was true of the original 1984 commercial...

rdowns
Feb 1, 2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Of course, I'd guess that such symbolism would actually be lost on most SB viewers. But, then again, I'd guess the same was true of the original 1984 commercial...

Given that we're in a mixed audience a statement like this looks quite biased.

jnasato
Feb 1, 2004, 03:20 PM
Continuing on what someone wrote...

I think it would make sense if Apple did something very similar to the 1984 ad, in the sense that it would be very vague and moving. This way they could release practically anything in the future, and then people would be like, "Oh, that's the thing!". And while people are waiting for "the thing", they will keep their eyes on Apple.

Apple last surprised the hell out of most of us with the 12" and 17" PowerBooks and the G5, but other than that- or connected with that, even- Apple isn't too good with timely major releases, so such a vague commercial would give them much time to finish up any current projects that are nearly complete.

But it would definitely be the most amazing if Apple released something totally unexpected and not even rumored about, such as a dual 3GHz G5 or like a quad G5 or other such almost ridculous product- or hell, productS even-- dual 3GHz G5, G5 PowerBook- then their ad could have more appeal to non-hardcore Mac users as well, by having them associate the fastest personal computer and laptop with Apple.

Here is my ideal commercial for today:
*reverbed bass boom*
fades to black
*reverbed bass boom*
backlighting fades in for one second with slowly rotating silhouette of some product
*repeat a few times
*reverbed bass boom*
very slow white fade-in, computer is presented
*pause.......... (for 4 seconds+)
. . .
*reverbed bass boom*
"10GHz"
fades to black with white Apple logo fade-in

At that moment, every Apple fan is either speechless or yelling like maniacs, throwing crap around the room.
Later that night, Apple fans enjoy a celebration that no Super Bowl is worthy of.

3 years later, because of the influential "2004 commercial", Apple experiences a truly amazing thing- 90% pc marketshare...

end dream

(I somehow posted this in the wrong thread earlier... ?!)

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 03:31 PM
Given that we're in a mixed audience a statement like this looks quite biased.

I don't think so. I was commenting on the SuperBowl audience, not on the audience here. I do think that most people watching the SB haven't read 1984 or read/seen 2001: A Space Odyssey. Note the presence of the word 'most'. That means more than 50%. Futher, even most of the people I know who have been required to read 1984 in some class or another miss references made to it, unless they are incredibly explicit.

Stop trying to be a pill...

Sheesh.

pkradd
Feb 1, 2004, 03:38 PM
There will be no surprise Apple ad in the pre-game, within the game or post-game shows. Ad Age, as stated above, had no listing. The only ad spots still available 2 days before the Superbowl were a few in the late 4th Quarter. Those will probably be filled by giving the prime advertisers in the first 3 quarters a free spot. Again, there will be no Apple ad during the show. There can never be a "surprise" ad on television. It has to be known to the broadcaster CBS as to contents and suitability for airing. Ignorant rumor from a German site that knows nothing about U.S. broadcasting requirements.

Krizoitz
Feb 1, 2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by arsonist

Also, I would imagine American Football is unpopular in Europe because we have rugby, which is pretty much the exact same sport except without the armour.

It would be VERY cool to have the Rugby teams play the American football teams.

(like in Ireland we play our Gaelic teams against the Australian "Aussie Rules" football teams. Its very fun).l

Rugby and football are no more alike than baseball and cricket. There are some surface similarities but it ends there.

Adam Betts
Feb 1, 2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by pkradd
There will be no surprise Apple ad in the pre-game, within the game or post-game shows. Ad Age, as stated above, had no listing. The only ad spots still available 2 days before the Superbowl were a few in the late 4th Quarter. Those will probably be filled by giving the prime advertisers in the first 3 quarters a free spot. Again, there will be no Apple ad during the show. There can never be a "surprise" ad on television. It has to be known to the broadcaster CBS as to contents and suitability for airing. Ignorant rumor from a German site that knows nothing about U.S. broadcasting requirements.

Incorrect.

There have been several "surprise" ads on SuperBowl. 1984 commercial was never listed as well as several other ads. They'll need to pay more in order to keep it quiet.

iTisch
Feb 1, 2004, 03:57 PM
Ignorant rumor from a German site that knows nothing about U.S. broadcasting requirements. [/B]

now who is the one being ignorant here ...?

calm down & take a deeeep breath.

lind0834
Feb 1, 2004, 03:59 PM
[list=1]
This should be a Page 2 rumor.
I'd like to see an Apple styled Vdub. They have Eddie Bauer SUVs so why not?
Has anybody counted the toal expected time for the expected commercials? I think it falls short.
Since AFN doesn't show the commercials.. there is no reason for me to watch the SuperBowl this morning.
[/list=1]

Snowy_River
Feb 1, 2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by iTisch
calm down & take a deeeep breath.

No kidding... I'm finding it amazing how volatile this thread seems to be. Could it be continued cross-atlantic negativity, do you suppose?

Peace.

Krizoitz
Feb 1, 2004, 04:06 PM
I'd encourage you to use terms like 'American football', and 'European football' (though the latter is a little tenuous, as 'football' is the same game just about everywhere in the world except that US - so maybe it should be 'everyone else's football').

Actually it would be more appropriate for them to be called American Football and British Football as they were both came to be called football around the same time (late 1800's) one in America and one in Great Britain.

From there American football spread across, well, America.

British Football spread further because of the British imperialism at the time (colonies in places like India, Africa, etc).

Suffice it to say they are different games that appeal to different audiences.

Soccer/Football is a fast paced game played by fast athletes with good legs.

American Football is a slower paced game that relies more on strategy than constant action. More on strategy not that soccer doesn't also have strategy, but football is actually in some ways similar to chess, albeit with 11 men instead of 16 :-)

pkradd
Feb 1, 2004, 04:11 PM
The Apple 1984 spot was listed as going to be broadcast during the show. The contents were known to the broadcaster as well. (They would have not broadcast it without seeing it first). It's just that the public did not know the contents. Ad Age, at the time, had no idea of the contents either. Remember, prior to the 1984 ad there were no real "blockbuster" promos at the Superbowl. That ad did change how advertisers participated in the broadcast from then on.

Feb 1, 2004, 04:39 PM
Is there anywhere to get a live stream of the SB online?

JJTiger1
Feb 1, 2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by limpidezza
Is there anywhere to get a live stream of the SB online?

Gentlemen, Start your televisions !!!

Official Pregame in just a few minutes.

=-=
JJ

jeffy.dee-lux
Feb 1, 2004, 04:46 PM
can someone who's gonna post any possible apple ad also post the ads for the Ford GT?
there's nothing like 0-60 in 3.6 seconds

and uhh... this isn't off topic, because, uhh, the cooling system in the gt is a possible candidate for solving the heat issues with the g5 powerbooks

suckers

i mean uhh
ah whatever

ariza910
Feb 1, 2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Krizoitz
Actually it would be more appropriate for them to be called American Football and British Football as they were both came to be called football around the same time (late 1800's) one in America and one in Great Britain.

From there American football spread across, well, America.

British Football spread further because of the British imperialism at the time (colonies in places like India, Africa, etc).

Suffice it to say they are different games that appeal to different audiences.

Soccer/Football is a fast paced game played by fast athletes with good legs.

American Football is a slower paced game that relies more on strategy than constant action. More on strategy not that soccer doesn't also have strategy, but football is actually in some ways similar to chess, albeit with 11 men instead of 16 :-)

British football has a name its called SOCCER ! LOL

British football? I dont think that name would fly anymore considering football (soccer) has been adopted by most of the world.

Omek
Feb 1, 2004, 04:54 PM
You guys... give up on Powerbook G5's. They're not coming out until the summer.... :rolleyes:

Let's think more towards updated G5's or a new 20th Anniversary Mac....

sedarby
Feb 1, 2004, 04:56 PM
I agree.
=-=
The updated iPod runner ad would be a nice touch for the Super Bowl.

An iPod ad with silhouettes of suburban people groovin' to Classical tunes, or Country Western tunes, would be a welcome departure from the current ads that only feature the inner-city youth and their unique culture tunes.

=-=
JJ

Okay, first of all the modified ad would never run because what are you advertising? Does anyone really care that the original Macintosh is coming in 1984? No, the revamped ad is based on the IBM of old. Does Apple really want to position itself against IBM now? The modified ad was Uncle Steve's gift to us, the loyal followers and waxing nostalgic for a time when miracles did happen occasionally. I would expect a concept commercial again but something more pertinent to our culture today not 1984.

numediaman
Feb 1, 2004, 05:10 PM
Was that an Apple ad introducing the Club Chalupa?

iBot
Feb 1, 2004, 05:15 PM
Using the classified beta version of Google TimeWarp, I was able to travel two hours into the near future and observe the Apple Superbowl ad on a futuristic high-definition Plasma-screen TV (prepare to be blown away by the technology of the near future!). These are my notes:

... look into this "Levitra" stuff. I mean, not for myself, of course. But, uh, for benefit of the elderly gentelmen at the park who may one day ask me for advice in this delicate matter.

OK, here comes the next ad...

A BLACK SCREEN and an ominous, sustained chord. Now the screen FADES UP to reveal the faces of four young and/or young-hearted lads in black turtleneck shirts, superimposed against a solid black background. They look calmly into the camera, their faces in half shadow.

As the light continues to FADE UP and the chord continues, we instantly recognize these loveable moptops! Down in the lower right quadrant -- why, that's a youthful Ringo Starr! And directly above him, it's a boyish Paul McCartney!

And there, on the far left, wearing the relaxed, confident expression of a man who knows he is on the verge of forever transforming the world of pop music, and becoming "bigger than Jesus," it's... Stephen P. Jobs. And directly to his right, looking at once more shy *and* more spiritual than his mates, it's... Stephen P. Jobs, again. True, both Stephen P. Jobses (the smart one and the spiritual one) -- are looking somewhat underrepresented in the moptop department, but the mod black turtlenecks work wonders when it comes to youth cred!

The long chord has finally played itself out, and now a very familiar guitar riff suddenly SWELLS, followed by an equally familiar VOCAL TRACK: "It was twenty years ago today, Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play..."

CUT TO: Stephen P. Jobs (the smart one), still in his throat-waddle obscuring turtleneck, fiddling with GarageBand on a sleek iMac. He effortlessly mixes a catchy new tamborine loop into the beloved "Sgt. Pepper" track, nodding his head only slightly out of rhythm to the beat.

A TITLE appears at the top of the screen: "Meet the Beatles... Again." CUT TO the other Stephen P. Jobs (the spiritual one) wearing iPod earphones while rocking on air guitar. CUT BACK TO the new Fab Four on their famous and now updated "Meet the Beatles" album cover (with both Stephen P. Jobses doing the "White-Guy Overbite.")

Another TITLE appears: "On February 1, 2004, Stephen P. Jobs will finally get to ROCK. And you'll see why the long-awaited Beatles Reunion won't be like a Beatles Reunion. "

Stephen P. Jobs (the one wearing the Lennon specs) stops doing "The Robot" long enough to announce, "Thank you on behalf of the group and I hope we pass the audition."

On to the next commercial, a spot to promote Eli Lili's new drug for sexual dysfunction, Cialis, which, according the announcer, is preferred by two out of four New Beatles.

jeffgarden
Feb 1, 2004, 05:17 PM
i found out what the ad is. the reason it didn't show up on the sites talking about the ads is that it's one of the penis enlargement commercials !

announcing...

the all new eLongate. From Apple.
"Slot Loading...for her pleasure"

invaLPsion
Feb 1, 2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by jeffgarden
i found out what the ad is. the reason it didn't show up on the sites talking about the ads is that it's one of the penis enlargement commercials !

announcing...

the all new eLongate. From Apple.
"Slot Loading...for her pleasure"

You're a dick.:D

musicmaniac210
Feb 1, 2004, 05:34 PM
New to these forums, read alot never posted before.

It just seems odd to me that Apple has not publicly acknowledged the 20th Ann. of the Mac.

This is the perfect opportunity to do so, as it was where they introduced the first mac 20 years ago.

Watching the game now... No new products yet...

ITR 81
Feb 1, 2004, 06:25 PM
Well the Pepsi/iTunes commerical just played.

I have to say it looked better on the TV then in it's downloaded format.

It also helps you can now buy the Greenday song from the commerical.

Apparently not all commericals got annouced because the Pepsi "Bear" commerical was never annouced.
They only announced the iTunes, bagpipes, dog, hendrix, and dinner commerical.

Squire
Feb 1, 2004, 06:28 PM
My quote is from NY Newsday, today's edition. The SB is an event that many people who never watch football watch. Yes, the average football viewer is an adult male, however, that does not hold true for the SB....

...Speaking of non-representative polls, my office football pool is lucky to get 20 people a week to pay $5 to play out of 160 employees. 100 Super Bowl boxes at $10 a pop sold out in a day and a half.

I'm not contesting the fact that a lot of people watch the Super Bowl. However, I believe the actual number of viewers is lower than the number you mentioned- despite that being the number reported by the networks. I think TiVO statistics- which are dialed in by the machine- would be slightly more reliable. (They ranged from 25-40% during the course of last year's game.)

MacRumors poll? Give me a break, this sites visitors are hardly representative of the population.

That was kind of my point. Die-hard Mac fans don't make up the general Super Bowl-watching public. Therefore, if Apple does have an ad, it will not be for a normal computer device. My guess is music-related or, as I mentioned, some kind of set-top box.

Now, back to the game- the only one I've tuned into this season. Doh! That didn't help my argument much, did it? ;)

Squire

gate
Feb 1, 2004, 06:28 PM
I'm expecting something big ... no ... I should say huge ... no ... gigantic ... PowerMac G5 2.5 ghz with 4 processors.

I'm only dreaming ... that would be too good.:)

doogle
Feb 1, 2004, 06:34 PM
it is a joke that this made the front page of macrumors - nothing will happen - goodnight.

Adam Betts
Feb 1, 2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by pkradd
The Apple 1984 spot was listed as going to be broadcast during the show. The contents were known to the broadcaster as well. (They would have not broadcast it without seeing it first). It's just that the public did not know the contents. Ad Age, at the time, had no idea of the contents either. Remember, prior to the 1984 ad there were no real "blockbuster" promos at the Superbowl. That ad did change how advertisers participated in the broadcast from then on.

Ha ha, your knowledge is a joke. Ad Age is not directly responsible with the ads in 1984. They simply listed the info that broadcast channel gave them.

Let me say it again, 1984 commercial WAS NEVER LISTED ANYWHERE BEFORE THE SUPERBOWL except for one local tv which broadcasted it at 2am, one week before the SuperBowl. What was listed is Apple's Lemmings Commercial which Apple announced several weeks before the SuperBowl began.

Lancetx
Feb 1, 2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by doogle
it is a joke that this made the front page of macrumors - nothing will happen - goodnight.

This definitely should have been page 2 material at best. There have been a lot of flimsy rumors floating around the net lately, seems like it all started in November with the bogus $100 iPods so many said were definitely going to happen the Friday after Thanksgiving and it's just gone downhill from there. But Apple will be coming out with plenty this year I'm sure, they'll just do it when they're good and ready, not based on any rumor timetables.

navsaria
Feb 1, 2004, 07:52 PM
You mean, that sport that the Yanks refer to as 'soccer'? Depending on your audience, 'real football' means different things. Given that we're in a mixed audience a statement like this looks quite biased. I'd encourage you to use terms like 'American football', and 'European football' (though the latter is a little tenuous, as 'football' is the same game just about everywhere in the world except that US - so maybe it should be 'everyone else's football').

Actually, if you're going to be as neutral as possible, the terms are:
"Gridiron Football" == NFL
"Association Football" == "soccer"

There's also
"Rugby Football" == "rugby"
"Austrialian Rules Football" == "football" (in Australia)
"Canadian Football" == "Canadian Football" :-)

That's probably the best way to describe them all neutrally. Personally, I prefer referring to the NFL as "pointy-ball". :-)

DN,
"soccer" fan...

billefrafra
Feb 1, 2004, 08:11 PM
http://www.differentdistrict.com/rumors_more.php?id=467_0_4_0_M

another vague addition to this superbowl ad thing. check it out.

JtheLemur
Feb 1, 2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by billefrafra
http://www.differentdistrict.com/rumors_more.php?id=467_0_4_0_M
another vague addition to this superbowl ad thing. check it out.

I didn't know it took so many teenagers to rehash MacMinute.com. Hehehehe. Besides, they could just be parroting MacRumors/MacGuardian.

doogle
Feb 1, 2004, 08:47 PM
Ha ha, your knowledge is a joke. Ad Age is not directly responsible with the ads in 1984. They simply listed the info that broadcast channel gave them.

Let me say it again, 1984 commercial WAS NEVER LISTED ANYWHERE BEFORE THE SUPERBOWL except for one local tv which broadcasted it at 2am, one week before the SuperBowl. What was listed is Apple's Lemmings Commercial which Apple announced several weeks before the SuperBowl began.

Who is, or who is not a joke shall be determined Mr. Betts!

robotrenegade
Feb 1, 2004, 08:50 PM
7:12 left in the 4th. I don't think the ad is going to play. I think someone was playing you.

Maclarny
Feb 1, 2004, 09:17 PM
Come on Apple! 1:08 left!

EDIT: God I need a life...

musicmaniac210
Feb 1, 2004, 09:17 PM
1:05 left in the 4th...

no chance in hell this will happen

what a incredible game though tied 29-29

overtime it looks like...

still one more quarter for commercials... lol

wait for it during the week folks, there's always february 3rd.

GO PATS!

Maclarny
Feb 1, 2004, 09:18 PM
No way! Go Carolina!

gate
Feb 1, 2004, 09:22 PM
"God I need a life..."

Me too.

SiliconAddict
Feb 1, 2004, 09:26 PM
Holy! 15 seconds. No pressure here for a FG.

SiliconAddict
Feb 1, 2004, 09:31 PM
Pitty. I could almost see apple doing something if the Panthers won. What with OS X Panther. :)

tveric
Feb 1, 2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Pitty. I could almost see apple doing something if the Panthers won. What with OS X Panther. :)

We're all dorks for posting here.... but you are king dork for that comment.

invaLPsion
Feb 1, 2004, 09:33 PM
There's still time for an Apple Superbowl Postgame Show ad!:D

Beowulf
Feb 1, 2004, 09:35 PM
Well, the superbowl just ended. Patriots won. And, no "special Apple ad" as predicted by that german site.

Squire
Feb 1, 2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by musicmaniac210
...wait for it during the week folks, there's always february 3rd.

February 3rd is a great day. (*coughs* I'm getting old.) That could be it. Or maybe next Tuesday.

Good game, though.

Squire

doogle
Feb 1, 2004, 09:47 PM

How does that generous portion of crow taste Mr. Betts?

skidoo
Feb 1, 2004, 09:49 PM
Apple disapoints again!
Apple is a lazy, selfish and mean company. This is the reflection fromthe Lazy, selfish and mean CEO. Good one Jobsy, GOOD ONE!
I'm off to buy an XP machine.
PFFFFFFF.

DeadEye686
Feb 1, 2004, 09:55 PM
How does that generous portion of crow taste Mr. Betts?

Uh, he wasn't claiming that the ad would appear tonight, just clarifying that the 1984 ad was not announced beforehand.

How does your crow taste? :o

doogle
Feb 1, 2004, 10:05 PM
Yeah right - I think our friend was clearly insinuating that the ad was likely to appear because it had not been listed to do so before. Sometimes reading between the lines is not only a necessity but avoids reather ill-informed posts deadeye.

Not quite ready to eat crow, sir. :)

Adam Betts
Feb 1, 2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye686
Uh, he wasn't claiming that the ad would appear tonight, just clarifying that the 1984 ad was not announced beforehand.

How does your crow taste? :o

Thank you.

doogle, choose one to shove in your mouth: foot or football :D

I would recommend the latter. Leather.. yummy! :)

No hard feeling though. It was a good game and some of the commercials was great, especially American Chopper/AOL and some of Bud's.

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 10:10 PM
I can't believe that Apple has ignored this most excellent date in its history. granted, they aired that stupid little 1984 ad that we've seen 44541245646512313215464454654211354343548434 number of times. I want a new thing from Apple.

Apple was long overdue for a new processor when the G5 was released. it was no immense surprise, we knew they would have to do something to control their stock and keep it from an expected plummet should they release yet another PM G4.

The iMac is two years old, doesn't feel like it does it? But still, it needs to be cleaned up too. it's overdue for a restyle or a major upgrade, larger screens are +s, but not enough, they don't fulfill the desire, the hunger, the demand of the mac user. When the iMac G3 was two years old, it was getting restyled. The iBook is even older, came out just after the superdrives of 2001, they need to be overhauled, how about a pcmcia slot. The PB have just revamped their casing, but not for the much better, and still Apple only shipd their machines with a single pcmcia slot, how about two Steve? I think we can spare the extra weight, we're already luggin' around a mamoth 17" incher. The powerbook line has lost its appeal, it isn't sexy anymore. The display line is as old as dirt, they're form factor is as old the original G4 or so. The only revamp that has been done is ADC, the 23" and a mirrorlike Apple instead of a gray one. Yes, now I can see myslf.

the cube was cool, but it flopped. The TAM was beautiful, but it's older than my little sister. how about a 'true' Twentieth Anniversary Mac? We're overdue for a ravishing.

cr2sh
Feb 1, 2004, 10:11 PM
Well, the dissapointment is huge in my book. I'm pretty sure I heard Steve say something about making something special of the 20th... is it me, or is it getting a bit late for that?

Who knows.. but it is officially time to unsubscribe from this thread. :)

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 10:11 PM
when i say aired, i mean their website

doogle
Feb 1, 2004, 10:22 PM
[i]
No hard feeling though. It was a good game and some of the commercials was great, especially American Chopper/AOL and some of Bud's. [/B]

None taken - a bit of banter is always fun, but I do not get any connection between footballs and crows...(how old are you?)

I hope you continue to enjoy commercials!

splashman
Feb 1, 2004, 10:29 PM
Endless speculation. Endless blather. Endless hand-wringing and whining and boohoo-ing, by a bunch of people with too much time on their hands, wanting desperately to believe that Apple thinks exactly the way they do.

I, for one, am glad Apple disappointed everyone. Learn a lesson: rumors are just that, and common sense still has a place in civilized society, no matter what MTV tells you.

splashman
Feb 1, 2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict

Originally posted by tveric
We're all dorks for posting here.... but you are king dork for that comment.

Roger that.

doogle
Feb 1, 2004, 10:35 PM
last one out is a rotten apple!:D

splashman
Apple disapoints again!
Apple is a lazy, selfish and mean company. This is the reflection fromthe Lazy, selfish and mean CEO. Good one Jobsy, GOOD ONE!
PFFFFFFF.

If you're being sarcastic, you should make it more clear.

If you're serious, I lament the waste of potentially usable DNA.

Adam Betts
None taken - a bit of banter is always fun, but I do not get any connection between footballs and crows...(how old are you?)

I hope you continue to enjoy commercials!

What are you going on about?? I didn't said anything about crows, did I? I was making the foot in mouth joke.

And how will my age have any effect on this discussion? :confused:

I hope you continue to enjoy mindless bantering!

doogle
Feb 1, 2004, 10:39 PM
Betts. you should spend more time on your website design than on forums. :o

erova
Feb 1, 2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by splashman
Endless speculation. Endless blather. Endless hand-wringing and whining and boohoo-ing, by a bunch of people with too much time on their hands, wanting desperately to believe that Apple thinks exactly the way they do.

well said.

Adam Betts
Feb 1, 2004, 10:50 PM
Betts. you should spend more time on your website design than on forums. :o

Get off your high horse.

solitarycow
Feb 1, 2004, 10:56 PM
Learn a lesson: rumors are just that, and common sense still has a place in civilized society, no matter what MTV tells you.

MTV tells us to pull off hot chick's shirts!

"...and I'll have you naked by the end of this song--"
Woosh-kerPLOP!

noel4r
Feb 1, 2004, 11:01 PM
Apple NEVER planned anything for the 20th Anniversary nor did they plan anything in the Super Bowl besides the iTunes ad. Some people just assumed they did. Dont be disappointed that Apple didn't release anything on the 24th or announced anything additional during the Super Bowl. Because they have nothing!!! Let it go!!! Oh, by the way, NOTHING for Tuesday or Thursday also !!!

Adam Betts
Feb 1, 2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by noel4r
Apple NEVER planned anything for the 20th Anniversary nor did they plan anything in the Super Bowl besides the iTunes ad. Some people just assumed they did. Dont be disappointed that Apple didn't release anything on the 24th or announced anything additional during the Super Bowl. Because they have nothing!!! Let it go!!! Oh, by the way, NOTHING for Tuesday or Thursday also !!!

Yeah, I'm definitely not disappointed. They has done a lot for ads lately though such as colorful iPod ads. They was pretty unique.

I'm sure Ridley Scott is too busy to do another Apple ad though.

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 11:41 PM
This is a speculation site, what are you nay-sayers who insult rumors doing here. look at the address bar, understand where you are. this site is a huge grape vine, just a place for gossip, and we enjoy it.

by the way, Apple hasn't given us anything in a while except for a repettive iPod commercial. Sure, te pretty colors and dancing shades were cool, but that has worn off in my mind.

Apple has just ignored a landmark moment for personal computing, sure I'm more of a low-level operating system guy that enjoys Linux text commands when using Yellow dog, however, those annoying gui icons that eat up your computer's resources for pointless little metaphors weren't really mainstream until the coming of the Mac, and that was twenty years ago. the modern os was invented 20 years ago, shouldn't there be some massive, collective celebration of all of those who use their computers on a daily basis? What about the very manufacturer, shouldn't they have done something for this landmark moment? I feel that Apple really needs to appease more to their loyal fans. Even though they can take us for granted, hell, we're never going to buy a pc unless to run the magical os, linux. Or Apple degraded themselves to a point that they had become something like NeXT and only made OSs, in which case we would still buy those OSs. So it's pretty clear they don't have to appease to us. But maybe to make us happy, they could show how much they can appease to a loyal Mac user thus urging the masses to switch so Apple can appease to them as well: Another great ad campaign.

howtoplaydead
Feb 1, 2004, 11:43 PM
-sarcasm in that last note

neoelectronaut
Feb 1, 2004, 11:50 PM
www.ifilm.com/superbowl

Yay, I can finally see the Homer Simpson Mastercard ad!

Krizoitz
Feb 1, 2004, 11:53 PM
Apple disapoints again!
PFFFFFFF.

What? Because they didn't release something exactly when you wanted it? That is the most absurd argument ever. I don't understand how this makes them lazy, selfish or mean. You can't just magically whistle up something whenever you want it. It takes time, effort AND money to come up with advances in hardware, software etc. Just because you want it right now now now doesn't mean its going to happen. Please people, stop throwing tauntrums and get on with your lives. When Apple releases new stuff (and they will) it will be great, but they won't release it till its ready.

Think about it, has Apple done any really bad stuff lately? Um lets see, the iMac which saved Apple almost single handedly. Fantastic new PowerBook and iBook designs, great applications, a modern OS that they are CONSTANTLY improving, G5 powermacs, bluetooth integration, improved airport...the list goes on. Its not like Apple is sitting around twiddling there thumbs here. Give them some credit. Sheesh.

Krizoitz
Feb 1, 2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by cr2sh
Well, the dissapointment is huge in my book. I'm pretty sure I heard Steve say something about making something special of the 20th... is it me, or is it getting a bit late for that?

Who knows.. but it is officially time to unsubscribe from this thread. :)

He said it was going to be a great YEAR, we aren't even 1/12th of the way through it and people are allready saying that nothing is going to happen. Get a grip.

splashman
Feb 2, 2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by solitarycow
MTV tells us to pull off hot chick's shirts!

"...and I'll have you naked by the end of this song--"
Woosh-kerPLOP!

It's funny, when I wrote, "Learn a lesson: rumors are just that, and common sense still has a place in civilized society, no matter what MTV tells you," I hadn't yet heard about our man Justin ripping off JJ's top. MTV claims it was a "wardrobe malfunction." Heh heh. Next, someone will be claiming Michael Jackson is white.

Here's one of the very rare times when I'm glad America has just as many lawyers as cockroaches. At least one of them is bound to smell money, and I hope they take MTV for a few hundred million.

aswitcher
Feb 2, 2004, 12:16 AM
This is a speculation site, what are you nay-sayers who insult rumors doing here. look at the address bar, understand where you are. this site is a huge grape vine, just a place for gossip, and we enjoy it.

by the way, Apple hasn't given us anything in a while except for a repettive iPod commercial. Sure, te pretty colors and dancing shades were cool, but that has worn off in my mind.

Apple has just ignored a landmark moment for personal computing, sure I'm more of a low-level operating system guy that enjoys Linux text commands when using Yellow dog, however, those annoying gui icons that eat up your computer's resources for pointless little metaphors weren't really mainstream until the coming of the Mac, and that was twenty years ago. the modern os was invented 20 years ago, shouldn't there be some massive, collective celebration of all of those who use their computers on a daily basis? What about the very manufacturer, shouldn't they have done something for this landmark moment? I feel that Apple really needs to appease more to their loyal fans. Even though they can take us for granted, hell, we're never going to buy a pc unless to run the magical os, linux. Or Apple degraded themselves to a point that they had become something like NeXT and only made OSs, in which case we would still buy those OSs. So it's pretty clear they don't have to appease to us. But maybe to make us happy, they could show how much they can appease to a loyal Mac user thus urging the masses to switch so Apple can appease to them as well: Another great ad campaign.

Nicely said...
so we wait and hope it won't be too much longer...

Snowy_River
Feb 2, 2004, 12:21 AM
Yeah right - I think our friend was clearly insinuating that the ad was likely to appear because it had not been listed to do so before. Sometimes reading between the lines is not only a necessity but avoids reather ill-informed posts deadeye.

Not quite ready to eat crow, sir. :)

Uh, just to clarify, this is a logical falisy. What he was saying was the just because there wasn't a listing for an Apple commercial, that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be an Apple commercial. He was not saying that the lack of a listing meant such a commercial was likely...

Removed translation to logical symbols to avoid painting myself as too much of a geek...

splashman
Feb 2, 2004, 12:22 AM

Who's "we"?

I have no problem with rumors, no matter how crazy. You and many, many others cross over from "crazy" to "pathetic" when you actually believe Apple should be basing their marketing strategy on your latest pipe dreams.

Need some help understanding?

GOOD: "I think Apple should release a 20th-Anniversary G5 PowerBook, 7.2 Ghz, 3mm thick and 11.6oz, dual Superdrives and 20-terabyte RAID, 4-month battery life and free FCP, all for $799."

BAD: "Apple is an idiot for not giving me me all that."

Yeeeesh.

Snowy_River
Feb 2, 2004, 12:25 AM
He said it was going to be a great YEAR, we aren't even 1/12th of the way through it and people are allready saying that nothing is going to happen. Get a grip.

Um, last time I checked, as of today we are about 32 days into the year, which is 8.77%. Compared to 1/12th, which is 8.33%. So, in fact, we are a bit more than 1/12th of the way through the year...

That said, I think that I agree with you. This is the 20th anniversary year. Hopefully, this is more than just advertizing fluff, like "year of the laptop"...

Snowy_River
Feb 2, 2004, 12:29 AM
Who's "we"?

I have no problem with rumors, no matter how crazy. You and many, many others cross over from "crazy" to "pathetic" when you actually believe Apple should be basing their marketing strategy on your latest pipe dreams.

GOOD: "I think Apple should release a 20th-Anniversary G5 PowerBook, 7.2 Ghz, 3mm thick and 11.6oz, dual Superdrives and 20-terabyte RAID, 4-month battery life and free FCP, all for $799."

Yeeeesh.

I think you missed the point of his post. He was saying that this is a rumor site, and people who are expecting everything to be as it is laid out in the rumors are in the wrong place. In other words, I think you actually agreed with him...

reedm007
Feb 2, 2004, 01:05 AM
Um, last time I checked, as of today we are about 32 days into the year, which is 8.77%. Compared to 1/12th, which is 8.33%. So, in fact, we are a bit more than 1/12th of the way through the year...

Okay buddy, 2 things:

1. this person was doing what many call "a rough estimate", based on the fact that we finished 1 month and there are 12 months in a year, so 1/12th of the way. No it's not exactly 1/12th, but for heaven's sake man...

2. If you're being caught up in technicalities of exact decimals like that, you might want to remember that this year is a leap year, so we have 366 days... 32/366 = 8.74% not 8.77%.

But believe me, i don't care :) I just hope you were trying to be funny or something...

performand
Feb 2, 2004, 02:23 AM
Hi!

Didn't anybody else notice: There was another ad from Apple during the Superbowl. In fact, it was a sublimal message hidden in all the other ads! When you re-assemble the hidden words and letters, you get a personalized message from Steve Jobs saying:

"Because 2004 isn't 1984
it is not like 2004.

Expect something really big to happen
TOMORROW!

Or the day after tomorrow.

Or the day after that day.

Or any other day this year.

Or maybe even in 2005.

Whatever.

Something REALLY BIG is coming your way.
You'll be excited!

Or not.

And please spend all your money on iPods and iTMS, so that I can afford to make a new computer.

Thank you

Yours, Steve.

P.S.: It will be really amazing, believe me."

There's no doubt about it: This message is clearly there! I've watched all the ads over and over again.

skidoo
Feb 2, 2004, 04:54 AM
Justin Timberlake lopped of the wrong cuff. He was meant to pull the left one, revealing the apple logo on Janets left breast. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

SiliconAddict
Feb 2, 2004, 06:54 AM
Apple disapoints again!
PFFFFFFF.

You, my friend, need to stabilize your mental attitude. For god sake it its not the end of the world if they didn't do any spectacular for the superbowl. You are going to go out and buy an XP system because of a rumor that never happened. :rolleyes: Wow. And I thought I was a fair weather fan.

SiliconAddict
Feb 2, 2004, 06:57 AM
Roger that.

Oh come on. Don't tell me the potential tie in to the Panthers didn't occur to some of you guys!! I just had the ball to say it out loud. :D

howtoplaydead
Feb 2, 2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by aswitcher
Nicely said...
so we wait and hope it won't be too much longer...

that wasn't sarcasm, was it?

I say this because what else can we do other than go and rally over at cupertino, i think rallying in cupertino is a much more 'pathetic' method of waiting, in fact, I think it's a little sick if you do that.

howtoplaydead
Feb 2, 2004, 07:05 AM
Who's "we"?

Yeeeesh.

I'm was as content as the next guy when Apple release the original TiBook or the G5.

I'm just expecting something more now. I think this was supposed to be one of those places where Apple was supposed to release something. The cube was released with perfect timing, even woz was there and a big deal was made ove it. Yesterday was supposed to be one of those moments.

JJTiger1
Feb 2, 2004, 09:13 AM
Gentlemen, Start your televisions !!!

Official Pregame in just a few minutes.

=-=
JJ

Ok. It's Over.

Klidesdale replaced by a donkey: stay tuned for another flavor of beer.

No news from Apple.

Software Update: nada.
=-=
JJ

kangaroo
Feb 2, 2004, 09:22 AM
-in general--worst sb ads i've ever seen.

as for the itunes/pepsi ad - h o r r i b l e.

grafikat
Feb 2, 2004, 09:53 AM
Ok. It's Over.

Clydesdale replaced by a donkey
JJ

Just to show you, even Bud thinks bud drinkers are Jack*** ;)

Definately a bad batch of commercials...even the Pepsi ad was lacking... Only Apple update is a Security patch this am

Mac Dummy
Feb 2, 2004, 10:41 AM
I only saw the ad played only once during the game (it was in a commerical break during the second quarter). However, I didn't watch the pre-game coverage and CBS might have run the ad more then, I don't know. :( :confused:

Snowy_River
Feb 2, 2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by reedm007
Okay buddy, 2 things:

1. this person was doing what many call "a rough estimate", based on the fact that we finished 1 month and there are 12 months in a year, so 1/12th of the way. No it's not exactly 1/12th, but for heaven's sake man...

2. If you're being caught up in technicalities of exact decimals like that, you might want to remember that this year is a leap year, so we have 366 days... 32/366 = 8.74% not 8.77%.

But believe me, i don't care :) I just hope you were trying to be funny or something...

Well, yes, I was trying to be funny. If I really wanted to take it too far, I could point out that a year is actually 365.25 days long (we just add a year every leap year to make up for loosing a quarter of a day the other three years). So, therefore, also taking into account the fact that it was about 31.75 days into the year when I originally posted, so

31.75/365.25=8.69% :D

But, seriously, the point that I was trying to make was that his rough estimate was wrong. He stated 'we aren't even 1/12th of the way through' the year. The basic rough estimate would be that we are 1/12th of the way through the year, as the first month had already ended.

So, that was my point, and I decided to have some fun with it at the same time, because it was a silly point... ;)

wdlove
Feb 2, 2004, 11:27 AM
The Pepsi/Apple commercial was OK, was hoping for a greater notice for Apple. I wasn't really expecting Steve to run a commercial, but still diappointed.

I guess that Apple only had one awesome commerclal under theri belt. The time has past and so they have missed out on a fantastic opportunity. With millions watching, they could have really demonstrated what today's Apple is about.

invaLPsion
Feb 2, 2004, 11:37 AM
Bring on the First Quarter Losses for Apple. This will be a disaster........

Supa_Fly
Feb 2, 2004, 12:07 PM
I wonder of all of you Na sayers about the ad will still buy Pepsi bottles just to get a free download?? Even if your not drinking it yourself (ie. Coca Cola fans; I hate the moniker Coke makes me sick thinkin' of the drug).

Also I'm very surprised that this kind of promotion wasn't saved until the late Spring/Summertime as perception (maybe my own) would estimate pop drinkers drink more pop in the Summer than in the Winter. Does anyone know what the stats are for consumption of pop consumed per quarter or per season for particular softdrinks?? After hearing comments of the ad on CNNBC nothing of this nature was even mentioned, hmm???

Wish I did live in the USA at this present time JUST for those downloads.

Personally, the ad seemed to be a wannabe 1984 ad in the scrolling text part, and it looked pathetic. However I do understand that it was geared to a particular target market though.

PS I do hope that the next software update feature mentioned is the ability to place voice calls over IP to cellular phones. In particular I think this could work in an ad for Apple's iChatAV , SonyEricsson phones (like they did in the past along with this company), and Cingular Wireless. Then the Video part can be part of an ad later in mid 2005 when numbers of 3G subscribers in the US (EDGE) for carriers like Verizon Wireless as they already invested Millions $$ for their continued current upgrade on that CDMA2000 EV-DO upgrade.

verb
Feb 2, 2004, 12:20 PM
I know nothing about this, but the huge delay in updates makes me think that Apple is preparing something big and new. The only "brand new" product that was in the rumor mill was that tablet PC device that would run inkwell. Perhaps that device is going to be the next big thing for Apple.

Would anyone buy it?
(let's assume G4 1Ghz, 12" LCD, Airport extreme, firewire 800, USB2.0, pen-input)

Snowy_River
Feb 2, 2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Prom1
I wonder of all of you Na sayers about the ad will still buy Pepsi bottles just to get a free download?? Even if your not drinking it yourself (ie. Coca Cola fans; I hate the moniker Coke makes me sick thinkin' of the drug).

Also I'm very surprised that this kind of promotion wasn't saved until the late Spring/Summertime as perception (maybe my own) would estimate pop drinkers drink more pop in the Summer than in the Winter. Does anyone know what the stats are for consumption of pop consumed per quarter or per season for particular softdrinks?? After hearing comments of the ad on CNNBC nothing of this nature was even mentioned, hmm???

Well, if you think about it, this promotion is, for Pepsi, about getting more people to drink their product. What time of year do people drink less Pepsi, and therefore need a bit of encouragement? ;)

pdrayton
Feb 2, 2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Prom1
Does anyone know what the stats are for consumption of pop consumed per quarter or per season for particular softdrinks??
Surprisingly, the age group targeted by the promotion (same age as those you saw in the ad) have a steady consumption of soft drinks throughout the year. Cold weather doesn't diminish the quantities drunk.

In a related topic, the highest per-capita consumption of ice cream is in wintry and bitter-cold Boston. Go figure!

iTisch
Feb 2, 2004, 01:30 PM
No kidding... I'm finding it amazing how volatile this thread seems to be. Could it be continued cross-atlantic negativity, do you suppose?

Peace.

Well, those times should be over, don't you think ? Well, i HOPE they are over - leave the politics to the politicians (in that case ...)

Cheers & hope you all enjoyed the SB (AD or noAD)

reedm007
Feb 2, 2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by invaLPsion

I suppose a $2.5 million superbowl ad would have improved this? ;)

reedm007
Feb 2, 2004, 03:39 PM
I think this was supposed to be one of those places where Apple was supposed to release something. The cube was released with perfect timing, even woz was there and a big deal was made ove it. Yesterday was supposed to be one of those moments.

But whatever gave you the idea besides a german rumorsy site that there might be something? Apple certainly gave no indication. They haven't had a superbowl ad in years since HAL. They've been promoting the heck out of iTunes/Pepsi deal all over their pages and the ad that will run for that... I'd say Apple strongly hinted there *wouldn't* be anything in this superbowl.

So I'm not sure why you think yesterday was supposed to be one of those moments? Normally Apple announces brand new products in 1 of two ways:

1. Trade Show
2. Special Press Invitations to a special "event"

Yesterday was neither of those. I've never seen Apple announce *any* product in an ad campaign, outside of the original Macintosh in 1984, which just revolutionized the world. Unless Apple was going to come out with some mind-blowing revolutionary new product (which would be impressive, as nobody's heard an inkling about this, and Mac OS X work seems to be continuing in a fabulous evolutionary fashion), a Superbowl ad doesn't seem to make too much sense to me. It costs a LOT of money, and, frankly, I wasn't impressed at all by yesterday's ads, and I feel that virtually every company wasted millions of dollars on those ads. It seems the only worthwhile thing to spend money on for a SuperBowl ad is to launch a brand new amazing thing, which nobody succeeded in doing very well.

So, my point here is: There was no real reason to expect anything from Apple. And don't expect any crazy new products out of the blue on a random Tuesday -- Apple will set up some sort of event for that type of launch. All we get on Tuesday's is incremental updates to existing products, often times all we really want anyway. :)

Krizoitz
Feb 2, 2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by performand
Or maybe even in 2005.

And please spend all your money on iPods and iTMS, so that I can afford to make a new computer.

To me this post demonstrates two things

1) People are suddenly assuming that because Apple doesn't release their products now NOW NOW (tauntrum anyone) that they never will

2) Suddenly people think that Apple only works on the iPod and forget that its a major way for Apple to increase brand awareness and become more and more profitable which is good for the company as a whole.

Seriously, anyone who thinks Apple is just going to sit around and not try and come out with great new computers has been asleep since Jobs came back. This isn't Sculley/Amelios bloated visionless Apple. This is Steve's we have great inovative stuff and we are going to keep doing it.

Krizoitz
Feb 2, 2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by invaLPsion

Holy cow, they didn't release an ad during the Super Bowl and suddenly they are going to have a disaster? Where do you people get this stuff. Seriously take a nice deep breath and join me in what I like to call REALITY.

Apple didn't release SuperBowl ads for most of the previous Super Bowls and they have had profitable and non-profitable quarters alike. If your estimate of how succesful a company is going to be is based on whether or not they produce one ad then you better pray you never get put in charge of a buisness.

reedm007
Feb 2, 2004, 04:26 PM
If your estimate of how succesful a company is going to be is based on whether or not they produce one ad then you better pray you never get put in charge of a buisness.

No, we are the ones who should pray for that :)

Mr Maui
Feb 2, 2004, 04:38 PM
What a perfectly good savings of $2.3 million.

<sees frantic Appleheads, by claim only, running about crying>

"I'll never buy another Apple product, since they did not have a Superbowl commercial ...

at least not until they release one."

:D

howtoplaydead
Feb 2, 2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by reedm007
But whatever gave you the idea besides a german rumorsy site that there might be something? Apple certainly gave no indication. They haven't had a superbowl ad in years since HAL. They've been promoting the heck out of iTunes/Pepsi deal all over their pages and the ad that will run for that... I'd say Apple strongly hinted there *wouldn't* be anything in this superbowl.

So I'm not sure why you think yesterday was supposed to be one of those moments? Normally Apple announces brand new products in 1 of two ways:

1. Trade Show
2. Special Press Invitations to a special "event"

Yesterday was neither of those. I've never seen Apple announce *any* product in an ad campaign, outside of the original Macintosh in 1984, which just revolutionized the world. Unless Apple was going to come out with some mind-blowing revolutionary new product (which would be impressive, as nobody's heard an inkling about this, and Mac OS X work seems to be continuing in a fabulous evolutionary fashion), a Superbowl ad doesn't seem to make too much sense to me. It costs a LOT of money, and, frankly, I wasn't impressed at all by yesterday's ads, and I feel that virtually every company wasted millions of dollars on those ads. It seems the only worthwhile thing to spend money on for a SuperBowl ad is to launch a brand new amazing thing, which nobody succeeded in doing very well.

So, my point here is: There was no real reason to expect anything from Apple. And don't expect any crazy new products out of the blue on a random Tuesday -- Apple will set up some sort of event for that type of launch. All we get on Tuesday's is incremental updates to existing products, often times all we really want anyway. :)

maybe I got the idea that Apple would do something for their twentieth birthday? ....nooo! Maybe Steve promised a good year with new stuff...? Maybe.
Maybe I was just expecting Apple to celebrated 20 years of mac. twenty years of the modern OS, twenty years of stupid little metaphors.
twenty years of a drem team of layers who seem to fail in every case and get raped from behind by people like gates...

I felt that this landmark meant something to Apple... twenty years that has begun the largest and most loyal group of people to a single company.

Maybe they were going to show their loyal fans how the next twenty years would be as good as the past twenty. (even though it was only a year before Apple signed away their OS to Microsoft).... just maybe, I had a hunch that dominated me

reedm007
Feb 3, 2004, 02:09 AM
maybe I got the idea that Apple would do something for their twentieth birthday? ....nooo!

I mean, I see what you're saying here, but I'm just not sure blowing 2.5 million on a superbowl ad is the appropriate action to take. First of all, the Mac's "birthday" was January 24th, which had already passed. Second, are you saying you'd be happy if Apple just released an ad during the superbowl commemorating 20 years of the Mac? As both a huge Mac fan and a loyal stockholder, I would much rather them do something much more useful with their money than spend it on a big honkin' superbowl ad.

Here's an interesting idea: when someone has a birthday, don't *other* people normally throw the party for that person? I mean if I turned 25 and rented out a bar, bought everyone there drinks, and paid for everyone's taxis there and back, it seems kind of ridiculous... It's sort of supposed to be a time when everyone *else* celebrates your birthday. So for everyone who is as devoted and loyal as you are, and there are many of us, why don't we throw a huge party for Apple? Turn Macworld this summer into a huge birthday bash: invite all Apple alumni from years past and have a huge party. (That's about the best we can hope for from Macworld this year ;) )

Just a thought. Kinda random.. I'm probably pretty tired.. ;)

benpatient
Feb 3, 2004, 07:34 AM
you guys over-estimate the importance of this company, and your actual devotion to it, on orders of magnitude.

pretty funny.

Apple didn't "revolutionize the world."

They made a good computer first. They didn't invent the GUI, they just made it run on a sub-10,000 dollar machine. They didn't invent the mouse, they borrowed it from Xerox.

Henry Ford revolutionized the world. Leonardo DaVinci (unknowingly) revolutionized the world. The Wright Brothers revolutionized the world. Galalleio revolutionized the world.

Apple did not.

Apple just yesterday implimented browser-tabbing in their "21st century" browser. And you guys get excited.

Browser tabbing worked in IE 2.0 and Netscape 1.0

Apple is great. But they aren't responsible for any "world revolutionizing."

wdlove
Feb 3, 2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by benpatient
you guys over-estimate the importance of this company, and your actual devotion to it, on orders of magnitude.

pretty funny.

They still were first to use many of these innovations. I thought that Apple developed the icon. Mac people just happen to be boosters of their beloved Apple.

Krizoitz
Feb 3, 2004, 10:47 AM

Actually they did, they made computers, which had previously been open to a small elite accessible to everyone. Yes there were PCs at the time, but they were incredibly limited and hard to use.

Apple started the revolution that has led to computers being used in nearly every facet of today's society.

If Apple hadn't done it would somebody else have? Probably, but then the same could be said for Ford, or the Wright brothers. What matters is that the DID do it. Certainly Apple isn't the only ones responsible for where computers are today, but neither is Ford the only one responsible for the state of todays automobiles, or the Wright brothers for flight. The difference is that these individuals introduced a dramatic shift that led to these new opportunities, and that my friend is revolutionary.

reedm007
Feb 3, 2004, 02:26 PM

They made a good computer first. They didn't invent the GUI, they just made it run on a sub-10,000 dollar machine. They didn't invent the mouse, they borrowed it from Xerox.

But the thing you're very clearly overlooking, and many people have, is the fact that Xerox did not have icons, Xerox did not have a real workable interface. They had the concept of a graphical interface, but Apple saw the actual potential behind it (unlike Xerox), and pushed it forward to become a reality.

You can debate what the definition of revolutionizing is, because clearly the Wright Brothers took an idea that people had had for centuries: flying. So they didn't invent the concept. Nor did Ford invent the concept of transportation or even internal combustion. But they all saw the potential behind things, had enough vision to see where things were going and how they could combine ideas and available technology and make it a reality.

Apple just yesterday implimented browser-tabbing in their "21st century" browser. And you guys get excited.

This is a completely unrelated point, and only serves to try to distract us. Unless your point was that anyone who revolutionizes things must always be the very top of everything forever, in which case I say: Ford just announced they'll be shipping hybrids in 2005; Toyota and Honda have had them for over 5 years. Looks like Henry Ford wasn't revolutionary.

(Just for clarification, I clearly don't believe those last statements.. they're purely to show the ridiculous nature of the browser-tabbing comments.)

solitarycow
Feb 3, 2004, 04:09 PM
Justin Timberlake lopped of the wrong cuff. He was meant to pull the left one, revealing the apple logo on Janets left breast. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Dude you are SOO right! Ladies and gentlemen we have a HIDDEN apple promo here! I can't believe I missed it!

howtoplaydead
Feb 3, 2004, 10:49 PM

pretty funny.

Henry Ford revolutionized the world. Leonardo DaVinci (unknowingly) revolutionized the world. The Wright Brothers revolutionized the world. Galalleio revolutionized the world.

Apple did not.

Henry ford only put the car in the assembly line, he did no more than Apple.

the Wright Brothers were only arguably the first to fly. Santos dumont, a Brazilian born Frenchman was the first man to make the airplane self-proppeld and able to lift on its own means, thus inventing the modern airplane. He flew three years after the wright brothers, had been trying for than Wright brothers had, flew dirigible in late 1890s. The wright's only contribution was the propeller, they catapulted their plane a few hundered feet many times.

I have no excitement over safari, sure its quick and I have come to use it, but I'm a long-time eBay user and have yet to find a free tracker for safari. If i did come across one, I wouldn't be too impressed, shouldn't be hard to make, if i had the time i would. I haven't been impressed with Apple in a while, I was expecting a flying car w/ a mac in the dash board when Steve jobs so highly quoted 'it' to be. By now I'd expect quad processors. Even Microsoft has announced their future use of Three RISC IBM processors, possibly a variant of the PowerPC 970. It will only be in shelves 2005, but the original xbox was equipped w/ a 733 p3 which was old history back when it was announced. a 3x G5 is not old history, is is unheard of.