PDA

View Full Version : iMac heat & gaming

Josh125
Oct 20, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hi all,

I run COD 4 through BootCamp, and while it runs like a dream my machine gets insanly hot. I'm a bit worried about it to be honest. Is there something I can do with this or just not worry about it.

I know PCs have fan apps that you can configure to run at max but not sure if they will work under BootCamp.

Thanks

Shivetya
Oct 20, 2008, 10:04 AM
Hi all,

I run COD 4 through BootCamp, and while it runs like a dream my machine gets insanly hot. I'm a bit worried about it to be honest. Is there something I can do with this or just not worry about it.

I know PCs have fan apps that you can configure to run at max but not sure if they will work under BootCamp.

Thanks

Get the extended warranty.

hankolerd
Oct 20, 2008, 10:25 AM
Get the iStat application, run COD4 for 5 minutes or so and then exit out and see what the temperature of your parts are. Can you cmd+tab out of COD4??? If so that would be the best. My iMac has gotten pretty hot while playing games, but that is part of why I got a mac, since they use better quality parts I do not have to worry about it overheating as much. If it is getting really hot though, then there might be problem.:apple:

Josh125
Oct 20, 2008, 10:29 AM
Get the iStat application, run COD4 for 5 minutes or so and then exit out and see what the temperature of your parts are. Can you cmd+tab out of COD4??? If so that would be the best. My iMac has gotten pretty hot while playing games, but that is part of why I got a mac, since they use better quality parts I do not have to worry about it overheating as much. If it is getting really hot though, then there might be problem.:apple:

I have applecare so I'm not too worried about it, however not sure how they would handle issues caused by running in BootCamp.

I'll download iStat tonight and do what you described Shiv and post up the results. I played for over an hour last night, and never experienced blocking that is usually associated to overheating the GPU. Maybe I'm just paranoid :cool:

dollydolman
Oct 20, 2008, 10:44 AM
Which Mac spec do you have? Graphics card and such, if it's the 8800 GT one they are notorious for heating up from my experience with PC's, not sure about Macs though. As long as it isn't stalling or running slow I wouldn't worry.

Josh125
Oct 20, 2008, 10:53 AM
Which Mac spec do you have? Graphics card and such, if it's the 8800 GT one they are notorious for heating up from my experience with PC's, not sure about Macs though. As long as it isn't stalling or running slow I wouldn't worry.

I have the mobile version of the 8800, I think Apple is calling it the GS. Good to know, again it's not freezing or throwing artifacts as I remember from my PC days.

Thanks

redsteven
Oct 25, 2008, 02:35 PM
it's an iMac, not a laptop so I'd think ur ok. Do you have adequate ventilation space around the computer?

Also, iStat wouldn't be able to monitor heat while running something in bootcamp : \

aki
Oct 26, 2008, 06:21 PM
imac can get v hot if gaming in windows.... heres my advice....

run istat then go to bootcamp and play games like cod4 for a while....then reboot to osx and look at temps....that will give u a good clue

as for my own opinion.....the gpu and cpu can have very high temps and its no problem BUT bootcamp gaming can give a high hd temp as well which will make them die sooner

if you think your hd is too hot download smcfancontrol and make a setting for windows gaming (for mine i have the fans all about the middle)

in my opinion hd much over 50C for a long time is not healthy but people argue a lot about what is "too hot" temperatures....its a qsn of lifespan basically

ask if u have more qsns ;)