PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini to be Discontinued?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Oct 21, 2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/21/mac-mini-to-be-discontinued/)

Gizmodo believes (http://gizmodo.com/5066531/apple-stops-mac-mini-shipments-to-retailers-says-to-expect-no-more) that the Mac mini may have already been discontinued by Apple. According to the site's European retailer sources, Apple has stopped orders for the low end Mac and has reportedly told the retailers not to expect any more.The Mac mini may be pronounced dead as soon as today's Apple earnings conference call, as two major retailers in Europe have confirmed to me that they can't order any more of the little computers. While this could signal an updated model coming in, they have been told by Apple to expect no more of it. Their impression is that—once again—the Mac Mini may be dead dead DEAD for real, even while you can still order it at the Apple Store.Rumors of the demise of the Mac mini started circulating (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/24/mac-mini-to-be-discontinued/) back in May, 2007, though the most recent reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/21/mac-mini-not-dead-yet/) have claimed that Apple was still working on revising it.

Apple will be reporting (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/17/apple-to-release-q4-2008-financial-results-on-october-21st/) their Q4 2008 financial results today, and could reveal more during their conference call.

Article Link: Mac Mini to be Discontinued? (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/21/mac-mini-to-be-discontinued/)

plumbingandtech
Oct 21, 2008, 12:55 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Kaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

:eek:

JFreak
Oct 21, 2008, 12:55 PM
I hope not. It's good to have a headless Mac option, but sure, they need to either drop it or upgrade specs.

gnasher729
Oct 21, 2008, 12:56 PM
The "Mac Mini End of Life" thread has 2740 posts so far :D

rael00
noooooooooooooooooo. should i buy one now?

corinhorn
Well, that sucks. :mad:

VoR
Oct 21, 2008, 12:57 PM
foolish.
Just bung the macbook motherboard into an atv/mini case and sell it for a sensible price please.

Moof1904
Big mistake. The mini is a great machine with huge potential.

puckhead193
why kill it. I think it will be a great little computer if they updated it with the new graphics card of the mac book

TurboLag
Oct 21, 2008, 12:58 PM
Sounds like this could be true. The Mac Mini shares most of its parts with its MacBook siblings. If the Mini were to be refreshed, it would've happened along side the MacBook redesign.

zombitronic

And I just posted that exact quote from the article. I hope it's dead, only so it can be reborn.

MongoTheGeek
Maybe Psystar will release one.

starflyer
Oct 21, 2008, 12:59 PM
If it hasn't sold very well, I say kill it.

Tilpots
Oct 21, 2008, 12:59 PM
Only good if it merges with the :apple:TV. *fingers crossed*

RyanR.
Oct 21, 2008, 01:01 PM
I was just thinking if they put a faster 2.5+ghz in a mini I would buy one.
Well, that sucks! I hate it when a plan falls apart.

jbernie
It has gone past the point where they should either kill it or upgrade it. It doesn't need to be bleeding edge, but it really needs to be more than it is right now.

Second option, cut the price by $100-150 and keep the current specs. They might find a new/bigger market at a lower price point. i.e. a starter pc for younger kids.

DARKJ3DI

it would sell better if Apple upgrades it

MacPanda
I hope there will be a new mac mini released at the Macworld event in January but i hope it will have FireWire.

here is to hoping,

Macpanda.

dwl017
Over 110 pages later and a year since the Mini thread was first started and not a single one of you get it! Let’s be real for a minute do you really think it takes this long for a design engineer to create a new Mini which is the simplest thing in the world to design! Its over.

The new entry level Mac is now the Mac Book, I personally feel that Apple has no interest of any sort in the headless computer arena and have moved on without addressing all the winning crying little children that say there life is over with out a Mini replacement.

Let’s face it the Mini has been silently phased out like it or not. If you still want one buy the current one while supplies last or just move on with life!

OllyW
Oct 21, 2008, 01:02 PM
Sounds like this could be true. The Mac Mini shares most of its parts with its MacBook siblings. If the Mini were to be refreshed, it would've happened along side the MacBook redesign.

It has never been updated at the same time as the MacBook. At best it's been a few months behind, it's now three updates behind behind the MacBook.

CaTOAGU
What are Apple doing! The Mini is the machine that got me, and I suspect a lot of others, started with Apple. Since then I've gone on to purchase two iMacs and a MacBook. I really can't understand the reasoning behind dropping this machine unless they have something in mind to replace it. The next lowest priced Mac the is nearly twice as much.

zombitronic

2741. And they just killed the thread!! I'm more upset about that than the Mini being dead.

neven
Oct 21, 2008, 01:03 PM
It's the least popular Mac with the smallest upsell potential. No duh they're going to discontinue it.

Kebabselector
Oct 21, 2008, 01:04 PM
Maybe Apple have run out of the parts to make it (Intel were stopping the shipment of the processor, weren't they?).

HitchHykr
Oct 21, 2008, 01:08 PM
Over 110 pages later and a year since the Mini thread was first started and not a single one of you get it! Let’s be real for a minute do you really think it takes this long for a design engineer to create a new Mini which is the simplest thing in the world to design! Its over.

The new entry level Mac is now the Mac Book, I personally feel that Apple has no interest of any sort in the headless computer arena and have moved on without addressing all the winning crying little children that say there life is over with out a Mini replacement.

Let’s face it the Mini has been silently phased out like it or not. If you still want one buy the current one while supplies last or just move on with life!

Another drinker of Apple flavored kool-aid. So we should just bend over, take what Apple gives us with no questions asked? OK, I got it. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Dyne Valentine
What would be really cool is if they bring back the G4 Cube to replace the Mini and also introduce a lower price Mac Pro and just call it the Macintosh. :0

To be honest I won't miss the Mac Mini. I know some people who love it but I'm not a huge fan of it.

http://www.t2-project.org/hardware/workstation/Apple/Cube/cube_open.jpg

Bitmap Frog
Bad sales, a product gets discontinued. News at eleven.

Meanwhile, it appears the MacBook made the job of introducing pc users to the mac platform better than the mini, which pretty much was designed for that.

edit: if you want a small mac desktop, just get a wrap for an xserve =D

FF_productions
Oct 21, 2008, 01:09 PM

I know we all like to defend Apple here and there, but this is class A bullshi*.

The Mac Mini isn't selling at all because it's $600 for over-priced hardware, and by the time you make it usable, the iMac becomes your choice and Apple locks you in.

Apple, are you guys kidding?? You guys have been in a slump, killing Mac Mini will make it even worse.

The cheapest desktop starts at $1100? are you kidding me?? Thanks Apple for being so helpful to the economy, we all are looking forward to buying your overpriced products.

gifford
Now this I do disagree with.

(see I'm not an "obsequious fanboi")

Eidorian
I know that my department isn't going to be ordering any new Macs anytime soon. We bought the $1,299 Power Mac G4 and then the Mac mini.

Now we have to buy an all-in-one from Apple? :rolleyes:

Lershac
Oct 21, 2008, 01:10 PM
What are Apple doing! The Mini is the machine that got me, and I suspect a lot of others, started with Apple. Since then I've gone on to purchase two iMacs and a MacBook. I really can't understand the reasoning behind dropping this machine unless they have something in mind to replace it. The next lowest priced Mac the is nearly twice as much.

I am a Mac enthusiast (again) solely because the mini was small and cheap enough that I could try it out without breaking the bank and put it on a KVM switch with a windows machine.

Three macbooks, a MBP a mac pro, an apple TV, two iphones, an ipod touch, and countless other ipods later I am a solid Mac enthusiast (though not a rabid fanboy, windows machines and linux machines have their places).

I will be sad to see this go!

I have a Mini tucked away powering a 15" monitor and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my bar for visitors to use and to manage my video/DVD collection.

Like the firewire video camera, this thing will live on for years on eBay because it really is a good product.

Luke1robb
Oct 21, 2008, 01:10 PM
I see an iMac event coming in November/Macworld bringing the updated look of the new LED 24" display (aluminum back) complete black bezel on the front. I also see the mini being updated at this event into a combo of Apple TV/Mini combo. I know I'm not saying anything new, but I don't think this is the end of the mini.

mono1980
Oct 21, 2008, 01:11 PM
I can see Steve Jobs now..."The economy is in the crapper. I know, let's get rid of our most affordable computer!"

dwl017
Get a grip people its over! move on! the Mac Book is the new entry level machine.

neoelectronaut
What a shame. My girlfriend loves hers.

Which reminds me--I need to pick up Applecare for her before the end of the month--I think her first year of service is up mid-november.

chameleon81
Oct 21, 2008, 01:14 PM
I met Apple with Macmini. Felt in love with operation system but was not really happy with the hardware. ( I remember correct it was g5 and could not some of the effects that iMovie offered )

I believe if they can upgrade the graphics card to new macbooks level and reduce the price little bit it will sell.

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 01:14 PM
No Firewire in the MacBook - go buy a MacBook Pro...:eek:
No more Mini - go buy an iMac...:eek:
iPhone? T-Mobile is too resonable, go pay $90/month for AT&T... :eek:

Gas and food are overrated anyways... :eek:

Like my question all along, "Apple Getting Snobbish?"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6469637

nowonder24
Oct 21, 2008, 01:15 PM

Same here. Got an Intel Mini as soon as they released it in 2006. Since then, I have bought three MacBooks (2 for family) and one MacBook Pro 17".

schneb
Oct 21, 2008, 01:15 PM
Forget "Think Different" - The new Apple motto is...

"Lack of Choice Makes OUR Life Easier"

neven
Oct 21, 2008, 01:16 PM
Another drinker of Apple flavored kool-aid. So we should just bend over, take what Apple gives us with no questions asked? OK, I got it. Thanks! :rolleyes:

No, you should make firm demands of Apple on a fan message board.

ChrisA
why kill it. I think it will be a great little computer if they updated it with the new graphics card of the mac book

All they need to do is build a new aluminium Macbook but leave the LCD panel, keyboard, trackpad and battery off. That should save at least 1/3rd or 1/2 of the price.

That said. I'd much prefer to see a more upgradable desktop machine. But then Apple is likely to kill the mini so they can sell more macbooks

Plymouthbreezer
That's too bad. They were perfect machines for people who don't really "need" computers; older folks and casual e-mailers who didn't need a 20" screen...

Yvan256
It could mean two things:

No more Mac mini but also no replacement for it. Either you buy a MacBook or an iMac if you want to switch. That's bad news considering an entry-level Mac mini (650$CAD) is less than half the price of either an entry-level MacBook ($1400CAD for new Aluminium model,the white plastic MacBook is probably still listed only to clear inventory) or iMac (1300$CAD).
No more Mac mini because something else is going to replace it but won't be called Mac mini. Think back to when Apple discontinued the iPod mini and replaced it with the iPod nano.

I hope it's the second option because otherwise it means the only Mac without a built-in display becomes the Mac Pro, which regular home users can't afford (i.e. it's 2900$ CAD, only extreme PC gamers pay that much for a home computer in 2008).

jeremy.king
Oct 21, 2008, 01:17 PM
Finally! The Performa line is coming back! :rolleyes:

I sure hope its a new model, I heart my mini.

Urenstaat
Oct 21, 2008, 01:17 PM
Argh... that leaves just two Apple computers for people who like a matte screen: the 17-inch MacBook Pro and the MacPro.. I'm actually using a last generation Mac mini together with my 20-inch Cinema Display for my daily office work.. A MacPro would be total overkill, which leaves ... no Apple desktop!!
Yes, I know, I can plug in a laptop, buy the idea of a desktop computer is to have a permanent computer on the desk, plugged into external hard discs, scanners etcetera... This better signal the return of a BTO mid tower desktop. I will never opt for an iMac. I want to choose my own matte screen, thank you.. If the Mac mini doesn't get replaced I will think about a Windows 7 desktop computer in a couple of years (maybe a second hand MacPro, since I like OSX).

rikers_mailbox
Oct 21, 2008, 01:18 PM
It's a shame. I'm smitten with my Mac Mini. It's the perfect companion computer for someone who already has a laptop and an external display.

CaptainScarlet
Oct 21, 2008, 01:18 PM
The new entry level Mac is now the Mac Book!

Egads!!!!

I know AppleTV is out there...but I use my Mac Mini exclusively for my multimedia device connected to my Sony XBR5. It gives me more flexibility then the AppleTV....And was hoping for a better video card on the next release.

Lets not forget all the Mac mini car installs....ugh!

bigjohn
Oct 21, 2008, 01:19 PM
it's my everyday machine, a workhorse

FF_productions
Oct 21, 2008, 01:19 PM
I think it is totally possible that Apple shrinks the Mini, and if it wasn't for the optical drive, they'd probably make the smallest computer, ever.

But, with these radical designs come over-priced hardware, so let's hope for a hardware upgrade.

Oct 21, 2008, 01:20 PM
Forget "Think Different" - The new Apple motto is...

"Lack of Choice Makes OUR Life Easier"

WRONG.

"A streamlined lineup ENSURES Apple's success."

Longtime Mac users like me know what a mess Apple was in back in the 90s, exactly because of so many models and specs. SJ came and cleaned up that mess, so as to give a CLEAR message to the market.

And this is one of the main reasons Apple is dominating this market. No branding confusion, no cryptic model names, no plethora of look-alike Macs.

It's one AIO, one professional desktop, one professional server and 3 notebook lines...there is space for only one more thing, and that's a single-model personal desktop.

I kinda like it and bought one for my parents. IMHO, its EOL status means either that a NEW Mini is coming, a NEW Cube is coming, or a lower-specced MacPro is coming...:rolleyes:

bstreiff
Oct 21, 2008, 01:20 PM
My first Mac was a mini; purchased right after the Core 2 update.

I've since purchased a MacBook, and I use both daily. (So, see, it does work as a 'switcher' computer!)

It's a shame if they get the axe; I was really hoping that we'd see one with the Nvidia 9400M or at least the GMA X3100-- the mini really makes for a poor gaming machine with the GMA 950... and I'm not even talking about anything brand-new, even older games like UT2004 and Warcraft 3 are a bit choppy at times.

FrenchKheldar
Oct 21, 2008, 01:22 PM
I can't imagine Apple killing another model after having blurred the lines so much between 2 other models last week (MB and MBP). There has to be another model coming... I was looking at getting rid of my iMac for an updated Mini, so I'm not sure what to do now... I guess we'll know more by 5pm... :(

mojoe2013
geez, i hope this doesn't happen. i was hoping for a new version that allowed more ram than 1 gig!

k2spitfire88
i am honestly surprised it took them this long. i do think it is a stupid decision on :apple:'s part, but the writing was on the wall when it had not been updated in well over a year.

Scottological
Those who complain about the Mini being underpowered and overpriced miss the point. The Mini is like a Vespa scooter: stylish and great for getting around town. My wife uses hers to check e-mail, use the web, and Skype with relatives. That's it. And the Mini does it with little fuss and little footprint.

Ciao, Mini. Been a pleasure.

BigD58
Oct 21, 2008, 01:23 PM
It has gone past the point where they should either kill it or upgrade it. It doesn't need to be bleeding edge, but it really needs to be more than it is right now.

Second option, cut the price by $100-150 and keep the current specs. They might find a new/bigger market at a lower price point. i.e. a starter pc for younger kids.

Yes I agree. The idea behind the Mini is perfect. But again Steve knows best so we will see what happens.

Urenstaat

Sure, move on towards Windows. Plenty of PC-hardware to choose from. I love OSX but the hardware limitations are getting ridiculous. Apple is becoming like Ford in the 1910s when it sold its T-model only in black. "You can paint it any color, so long as it's black." Okay, Henry Ford actually probably never said this, but the analogy is clear..

sneakyob

I agree! What better way to hook the younger crowd in early!!

dwl017

The suits at Apple are no different from the fat cats of Wall street, clearly they have made there billions and forgot who put them there. Dont let the jeans and black sweater that Jobs always has on fool you.

TheSandman2236
Oct 21, 2008, 01:24 PM
NOOOOOOO

Where am I going to get my replacement Media box? (Not the stupid Apple TV) I run Plex/XBMC on my current Mac Mini.

nyamanku
Oct 21, 2008, 01:24 PM
No! I hope not.
It's good for :apple:TV, kids, school, and music....
I really like that little thing...
:(

termite
Oct 21, 2008, 01:25 PM
Uh... isn't this pretty normal (i.e. sometimes happens) when Apple is about to update a product?

Motley
I certainly hope it's replaced with a redesigned mini and not outright killed. I am worried that the lack of iSights might indicate the mini is destined to die (apple likes ichat and someone who buy's a mini isn't buying an $800 screen).

Oh well, my mom loves her mini and wouldn't have bought a mac if the only option was an iMac.:(

Mebsat
Jobs has decided that all pros must have headaches from glare.

Glossy on all iMacs, notebooks.
Glossy ACDs coming to replace existing.
Kill the mini.
New MacPro to only support video cards with mini DisplayPort.

Snow Leopard will remove all support for any monitor not made by Apple.
Apple brownshirts coming to confiscate your old equipment.

Mwa-ha-ha

/sarcasm (I think)

SpinThis!
Stop... Cube Time!

billystlyes
Oct 21, 2008, 01:26 PM
Nice time to discontinue the top selling desktop on Amazon. :rolleyes:

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/1737/macminiza8.jpg

Apple never gives this little guy attention because they are afraid of it cannibalizing more expensive Macs. I find that troubling.

One word now, Hackintosh....

benpatient
Oct 21, 2008, 01:26 PM
wow. they're really trying to ruin all of their success breaking into the PC market, aren't they?

I personally know 2 people who went to Mac simply for the mini and because of the price/size.

Of course if you keep something the same price and the same speed for 2 years it will get less popular...The simple fact is that Apple's not going to let you buy an Apple for less than 1000 dollars anymore. The old macbook will be phased out in the next month, and the mini, too, and then the cheapest mac is 1200-1300 dollars.

And that simple fact will probably keep me from buying any more Macs for home use...I hope the OS X on generic hardware movement keeps slogging along making progress...I'll be in the market for one in a year or two when my current macbook isn't cutting it anymore...I would love a little 400 dollar 9" laptop with a small SSD...

Jarbo
Oct 21, 2008, 01:27 PM
nuff said

Kwill
The Mac Mini design has lost is freshness. Look how many similar devices Apple has introduced (with slightly different dimensions):

Apple TV
Time Capsule
AirPort Extreme Base Station

In today's society the entry-level Mac has become the MacBook. Apple still could develop another cost-effective alternative to the Mac Pro without a monitor but I doubt if it will be positioned at the lowest entry point and probably will include a keyboard and mouse or trackpad surface.

bigandy
I doubted it would be discontinued until I saw what they did to the new MBP.

Now I won't put anything past Apple.

DaftUnion
Oct 21, 2008, 01:28 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Kaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

:eek:

I was thinking more along the angry lines of KAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNN!!!!!!!!

netdog
Oct 21, 2008, 01:28 PM
Get a grip people its over! move on! the Mac Book is the new entry level machine.

People saying things like this are going to be eating a lot of crow soon.

Don't mean to single out DW. There are plenty of you here claiming it. The MacBook is not the new entry level Mac. The MacBook is the entry level Mac portable.

Don't be surprised if it is announced with the new iMacs, or at MacWorld along with all the new AppleTV and other consumer home media stuff that they are sure to roll out there. After all, apart from the Mac Pro, the other Macs are all updated in terms of major redesigns, so expect a lot of great consumer media devices and software at MacWorld.

sososowhat
Oct 21, 2008, 01:30 PM
All they need to do is build a new aluminium Macbook but leave the LCD panel, keyboard, trackpad and battery off. That should save at least 1/3rd or 1/2 of the price.

Why not start with a Macbook, strip off the display & the hinge, but keep the keyboard & trackpad for use with an external display? The computer's in the keyboard. I'd buy it.

Azmordean
Well, if the mini is indeed dead, I suspect it is because Apple does not WANT to compete in the budget domain. They want home users to buy the iMac, and they want Pro users to be forced into the Mac Pro. That was the evil secret with the mini - with a Core 2 Duo, it was powerful enough that some "Pro" users who didn't need high end graphics could easily get away with a Mini.

I suspect Apple also figures that their brand has enough "exposure" now that they don't need the Mini to bring PC users into the fold. And remember, when the Mini first came out, Apple was PowerPC, so there was no "comfort zone" for current PC users - so the Mini, as a cheap "try it out" option for PC users - was needed. Nowadays, PC users can put Windows on their Mac if they hate OS X, so Apple likely does not see the same need for the Mini as a "crossover" device.

So, in conclusion, I suspect in Apple's mind, the Mini no longer is necessary to bring people to OS X, and serves only a negative purpose - it allows people who would otherwise buy a more expensive machine to spend less money. And we all know that's something Apple can't stand!

As for me personally, I'd still like to see a mid-range tower. I never was a huge Mini fan - it struck me as all the disadvantages of a laptop with none of the advantages. But for those in the budget market, I can see how its loss will be felt. I can also see how business people may be unhappy, as the Mini is the perfect little computer for secretaries and receptionists and anyone else doing standard office tasks.

mshepherd
maybe they are just upgrading it to the nvidia chipset??

milo
Bad news if they're just dumping it.

FANTASTIC news if they're going to replace it with a more sensible model like a midtower.

It has some cool factor, but it's extremely impractical, overpriced, and underpowered. As long as they replace it with the machine they should have shipped in the first place, it will be a huge improvement.

Object-X
Oct 21, 2008, 01:31 PM
Rumors of the mini's demise have been greatly exaggerated. But, I think they are true.

It's primary purpose for existence when introduced was to encourage switchers, by not forcing them to buy new peripherals (BYOKM). That the mini took on a life of it's own was perhaps an unintended result.

The only reason to have it around is to have an inexpensive computer coupled with a larger monitor. But with the mini at $600 and a 20" monitor at $600 you are likely to go with an iMac and get better graphics and a larger hard drive. (I understand you can buy a less expensive monitor from another vendor, but that doesn't help Apple).

I am using a mini right now, because I didn't like the glossy screen of the iMac and had an Apple cinema display already. The mini is also useful as a inexpensive server or development machine, but these uses are most likely not producing the numbers Apple wants to see.

Apple makes their money by keeping a simplified product line and keeping it around for a long time. That's how they get 30% of the money with only 10% of the computers. This also allows them to spend a lot of engineering time to come up with stuff like the Unibody enclosure. iMacs and MacBooks are the money makers for Apple and they have publicly stated again and again their lack of interest in the low margin budget PC. Better to let Dell and HP fight over the scraps.

As the economy tanks, it would seem like the appropriate response for Apple to enter this market, but that just hasn't been Apple's approach. Remember the last downturn and Apple's response? They said they would innovate through it by investing in research. That strategy worked brilliantly and set them up for the last four years of rapid growth. Their strategy is always counterintuitive; I expect them to drop the mini and eventually the white MacBook and have basically three Mac products: iMac, MacBook Pro (MacBook is a MacBook Pro now), and the PowerMac.

You may not like it, but that's what my crystal ball says.

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 01:32 PM
Mac: "Hi, I'm a Mac"
PC: "And I'm a PC..."
Mac: "Hey PC, got something for you..."
PC: "What's all this?"
Mac (pushing 4 people over to PC) :"It's old my DV camcorder, old Pro-Audio Box, old external storage unit, and old high end display monitor"
PC: "But don't you need these things? Aren't you "The Creative Specialists" computer"?
Mac: "Yes, but I've outgrown and am much better than the companies that make them...."

Song ends...

impierced
I really hope Apple either reports on an All-NEW Mac mini or says they're abandoning this market. Either way it'll make my decision to build a Hackintosh all that much easier:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/motherboards/review/2008/10/16/Asus-P5N7A-VM/p1

Intel 775 socket with Nvidia 9300M graphics.

nagromme
If no upgradable minitower is coming, then bring on a new Mini with:

* Black top

* Cheap 20" LED iSight display (optional)

* Black keys and mouse (on the iMac too please) if you choose to buy them

* New MacBook GPU

* Higher model with the VERY top-end MacBook Pro GPU. Not bad for gaming!

BryanLyle
Figures. I was waiting on a refresh to buy one and add to my HT set up.

OriginalMacRat

They sell quite briskly.

If you have ever watched the Apple refurbs page, Mac mini's seldom last for more than a day before they are sold out.

Lepton
Oct 21, 2008, 01:34 PM
Mac Mini and Apple TV should be merged. TV outputs, Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse inputs, hard disk, superdrive. At a low, low price of course.

We really do need a cheap Mac, it made my friend switch. Had an old PC monitor and keyboard, spent $500 and got a nice Mac. Just like Apple wanted. Today, you can do the same. Let the TV be the screen, but be a full Mac.

ChrisA
Oct 21, 2008, 01:34 PM
The cheapest desktop starts at $1100? are you kidding me?? Thanks Apple for being so helpful to the economy

You have to remember that Apple is based in Cupertino California. Even with the current housing problem you can't really buy a house there for under $500K and double that price is not unreasonable. You have to figure that the Engineers and managers working at Apple are making enough to live near the campus. I can't imagine many of them making less then $6K a month first level managers would be at double that. To most of these people $1,100 is not so much that they'd need to talk it over with the wife before spending $1,100. Yes if you are working at a $12/hour job $1,100 is a big amount and you'd have to save up, but to anyone who works at Apple it is kind of at the top of the "impulse buy" range.

It's reasonable that the people at Apple would set the low end price point at $1,100.

Jelite
Oct 21, 2008, 01:35 PM
Does this mean i cant get my broken mini fixed?

Don't most people buy a mini as a under the tv computer, why sell these when they can make everyone buy an apple tv and whichever mac making twice/three times the moola.:apple:

chadder007
Oct 21, 2008, 01:35 PM
Big mistake. The mini is a great machine with huge potential.

:werd:
If they would have just updated the freaking video card in it. Thats pretty much what has kept me from getting one all this time.

HitchHykr
Oct 21, 2008, 01:37 PM

I bought my daughter a MacMini when they first came out, now she's a college freshman with a MacBook. I'm not sure she would be a Mac user if the mini wasn't available then. Oh well.

kprf
Oct 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
Those retailers were only told not to expect the Mac mini, nobody said "don't expect the smallest desktop in the world from Apple anymore"..

I honestly think that it will get a new name and some upgrades and will be introduced soon.

MrZebra
Oct 21, 2008, 01:38 PM
I personally know 2 people who went to Mac simply for the mini and because of the price/size.

Not to mention the low power consumption.

Azmordean
Oct 21, 2008, 01:39 PM
You have to remember that Apple is based in Cupertino California. Even with the current housing problem you can't really buy a house there for under $500K and double that price is not unreasonable. You have to figure that the Engineers and managers working at Apple are making enough to live near the campus. I can't imagine many of them making less then $6K a month first level managers would be at double that. To most of these people $1,100 is not so much that they'd need to talk it over with the wife before spending $1,100. Yes if you are working at a $12/hour job $1,100 is a big amount and you'd have to save up, but to anyone who works at Apple it is kind of at the top of the "impulse buy" range.

It's reasonable that the people at Apple would set the low end price point at $1,100.

Actually, I'd be rather surprised if first level managers are pulling in that kind of money. Remember, the rule in places like the Bay Area, like DC, like NYC, is simply different than in the rest of the US. People simply don't expect to own a home. Rent in all those places is high, but doable. Salaries are high enough to cover rent - but not to own a big home. Generally only wealthy people, or couples where each person has a relatively high paying job purchase single family homes in these areas. Apple is aware of the low end/budget market, they just don't want to compete in it. In their mind, they are the computer version of "Lexus," not "Toyota," so they don't want to make a Corolla.

Electrolytic
The only thing good about the mini is that it is not a all-in-one computer.

Make it larger so you can put a faster hard drive & desktop ram.

Otherwise kill it if you are going to keep it the way it is......

Build your own OSX desktop pc using the EFI-X boot device. Your mid range tower will be cheaper & faster than any imac, macbook, macbook pro or mac mini that Apple offers...

k2k koos
If Apple needs to discontinue the Mini, they have only to thank themselves, it should have been updated, perhaps merge with the Apple TV even. With their new mfg process, they could even release a completely new successor, perhaps with a different name even. I believe firmly that Apple needs a budget machine in the range. Heck I have a mini at home for the kids, a G4 no less, but I would be interested in upgrading that to a more powerful Mini in time, without having to change all the rest, as I already BYODKM ... If I upgrade to an iMac, then I won't have enough to buy myself a new MBP, which will happen early next year. :apple:

Urenstaat
Oct 21, 2008, 01:40 PM
That was the evil secret with the mini - with a Core 2 Duo, it was powerful enough that some "Pro" users who didn't need high end graphics could easily get away with a Mini.

And what's wrong with that? I'd sooner buy a Windows desktop for my office than a MacPro ... I don't need more power and I'm sure not going to spend 3 times as much to buy a MacPro. There are many 'Pro' users and not all are photographers or video editors. I'd buy a PC, with a decent graphics card and slots left to plug in a FW800 card or what else.. It's a win, win for me. I'll just miss OSX dearly..

Well, let's first wait whether the rumors are true and what else is in store..

If they update the mini I would buy the new model, the integrated Intel graphics card in the current mini sucks big time. Oh yeah, leave the FW-port!!! It's hooked to my FW backup-drive using SuperDuper. I'd be pissed when they'd axed the FW-port.. Also for my iSight webcam.. without a FW-port I'd keep my current Mac mini, it's only one year old, so it will be okay for another 2 tot 3 years.

gtyper
That's unfortunate. I don't like the "all-in-ones" and I don't need a laptop trying to be my desktop. The Mini was my first introduction to Apple and the reason I own the products I currently own.

I have 3 Minis and a Mac Pro. I was salivating at the thought of a new Mini.

Bad on Apple. I believe they think they'll up the AppleTV sales as the Mini has been cannibalizing their HTPC sales.

lasuther
They should just update it with the base MacBook processor and NVIDIA graphics. It would sell well.

A redesign would be really nice, but I doubt that will happen.

If it combined with Apple TV I'd buy one.

There is always Psystar. Maybe this is part of the arbitration.

iSee
Oct 21, 2008, 01:41 PM
Booooo. This are great little machines!

Not surprising, though. I can tell what Steve thinks of the Mini by how up-to-date he as kept them: not at all.

- - -

Hmm. I have two right now for a project I'm working on.

I needed a couple of test machines to test some USB devices and drivers with. I did a little research and found that the resale value of Minis is so good that buying refurbs was a very economical way to acquire machines for a few months (and they take up no space).

After this I may actually make a profit when I sell them.

mandoman
The mini will be updated before the holidays in November along with the imacs.

akm3
I bought a Mini 'to see what all the Apple fuss was about'.

Since then, my family has bought the Late 08 Macbook Pro, the first gen Macbook Air, an iPod Touch, and my wife and I will be getting a pair of iPhones once our Verizon contract is up. Not to mention iWork 08 and iLife 08 and Leopard retail.

Not bad for offering a Mac Mini. Which now serves as an EXCELLENT Home Theater PC.

mail4asim
Oct 21, 2008, 01:42 PM

nah, I would wait and see what happens. If it is discontinued, then surely they would come up with something in it's place.

dwl017
Oct 21, 2008, 01:43 PM
Well, if the mini is indeed dead, I suspect it is because Apple does not WANT to compete in the budget domain. They want home users to buy the iMac, and they want Pro users to be forced into the Mac Pro. That was the evil secret with the mini - with a Core 2 Duo, it was powerful enough that some "Pro" users who didn't need high end graphics could easily get away with a Mini.

I suspect Apple also figures that their brand has enough "exposure" now that they don't need the Mini to bring PC users into the fold. And remember, when the Mini first came out, Apple was PowerPC, so there was no "comfort zone" for current PC users - so the Mini, as a cheap "try it out" option for PC users - was needed. Nowadays, PC users can put Windows on their Mac if they hate OS X, so Apple likely does not see the same need for the Mini as a "crossover" device.

So, in conclusion, I suspect in Apple's mind, the Mini no longer is necessary to bring people to OS X, and serves only a negative purpose - it allows people who would otherwise buy a more expensive machine to spend less money. And we all know that's something Apple can't stand!

As for me personally, I'd still like to see a mid-range tower. I never was a huge Mini fan - it struck me as all the disadvantages of a laptop with none of the advantages. But for those in the budget market, I can see how its loss will be felt. I can also see how business people may be unhappy, as the Mini is the perfect little computer for secretaries and receptionists and anyone else doing standard office tasks.

Enter Dell Studio Hybird

sangosimo
Oct 21, 2008, 01:44 PM
hopefully the update will be combined with apple tv.

gkarris
Does anyone know what the timing will be?

I've posted my experience with the Cube discontinuation here a while ago:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=336152

Essentially, everyone everywhere were sold out withing hours of the annoncement.

I want to make sure I'm at the Apple Store or Mac Dealer when the announcments hits, with a CC in hand...

nfrankli
I agree with those commenting on Apple's pricing structure. I bought an iMac 20" 3yrs ago and thought I was paying about $250 more than a comparably equipped PC. But PC's have continued to drop in price since then and the Mini was probably the last item holding that $250 price difference when compared to a PC. By my estimate the rest of the Mac lineup is at about $500 more than a comparable PC. I really like my mac but paying that kind of premium doesn't seem sustainable. But what do I know, Mac sales are growing much faster than the PC industry.

Rassybat
Oct 21, 2008, 01:45 PM

Yes. And it's frustrating.

I love Apple, but I don't have gobs of expendable income to blow on designer tech. I'm effectively being priced out of the market for a new Mac. Instead of getting cheaper or staying at the same price, the new Macbooks cost even more and they offer less. The student discount for buying a mac was reduced. (I still can't figure that one out.. :mad: ) and now that the mini is being discontinued, I don't think I have much of a choice but to jump ship to one of those little Dell 9 mini things (which are kinda cool, actually) or an Acer or something.

I understand buying a mac requires a little more cash but this is rediculous. There's gotta be SOMETHING on the low end of the price range for people to buy. $1200 is simply not an option for a lot of folks.

bananas
Oct 21, 2008, 01:46 PM
Again?

some day this rumor is going to happen. Until then let's keep on repeating it :D

If Apple would discontinue mini, I think they would have to replace it some way. There is market for a sub $600 Mac - Apple shouldn't ignore it.

LaDirection
Oct 21, 2008, 01:48 PM

No, the mini is a ridiculously overpriced, under-powered box. It is CLEAR Apple (i.e. Steve Jobs) never wanted that thing to succeed, it was, according to many insider reports, built to satisfy stock holder's repeated demand for an affordable headless Mac. Jobs made sure it failed.

With the mini's current spec and lack of mouse or keyboard, it should sell for $399, not it's actual asking price.

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 01:48 PM
Again?

some day this rumor is going to happen. Until then let's keep on repeating it :D

If Apple would discontinue mini, I think they would have to replace it some way. There is market for a sub $600 Mac - Apple shouldn't ignore it.

Apple believes there to be a market for a $600 Mac as much as they believe there's a market for consumer Firewire equipment... :eek:

hayesk
Oct 21, 2008, 01:49 PM
Why not start with a Macbook, strip off the display & the hinge, but keep the keyboard & trackpad for use with an external display? The computer's in the keyboard. I'd buy it.

I suspect the screen on the Macbook costs a lot less than $600. You'd likely end up with a screenless mac costing $999 - would you pay for that?

Chupa Chupa
Oct 21, 2008, 01:49 PM
It makes sense that the current mini is discontinued since the proc inside is pretty crusty for a current machine + Nvidia being Apple's new BFF and dumping Intel integrated video.

I'm not willing to accept Apple is killing the mini off completely though. It would be nice to see a mini/AppleTV hybrid. I use a mini 1.5 core solo as an iTunes server w/ a Front Row interface - this was before AppleTV existed.

I'd be all over an AppleTV w/ Blu-Ray optical drive and the ability to easily install my own A/V apps on it - many an app store for AppleTV. Obviously that's not going to happen.

cms2
Oct 21, 2008, 01:50 PM
What would be really cool is if they bring back the G4 Cube to replace the Mini and also introduce a lower price Mac Pro and just call it the Macintosh. :0

To be honest I won't miss the Mac Mini. I know some people who love it but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Now that was a beautiful machine. I came this close to purchasing that when I started college... would have made me a switcher a lot sooner, but in the end I decided to get a cheaper (and yes, ugly) Compaq.

Oh well, all's well that ends well. :apple:

ruckus
Oct 21, 2008, 01:51 PM
Can't be! The mini is ripe for an update with the new integrated nvidia graphics! Maybe they are just making way for the new ones??? I can hope, I want to get one as a media box/server, but I am not paying full price for 1.5 year old technology.

Object-X
Oct 21, 2008, 01:52 PM
Mac Mini and Apple TV should be merged. TV outputs, Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse inputs, hard disk, superdrive. At a low, low price of course.

We really do need a cheap Mac, it made my friend switch. Had an old PC monitor and keyboard, spent $500 and got a nice Mac. Just like Apple wanted. Today, you can do the same. Let the TV be the screen, but be a full Mac.

I thought this too at one time but not now. Having my mini hooked up to my TV was interesting but not as useful as I thought it would be.

I would rather see Apple create an API model for the AppleTV similar to the iPhone and let developers make the device more useful for the living room. A new platform.

I would also like them to make a more robust iPhone/iPod Touch remote control app for the device, or let independent developers do it.

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 01:53 PM
It makes sense that the current mini is discontinued since the proc inside is pretty crusty for a current machine + Nvidia being Apple's new BFF and dumping Intel integrated video.

And who's fault is it?

I'm not willing to accept Apple is killing the mini off completely though. It would be nice to see a mini/AppleTV hybrid. I use a mini 1.5 core solo as an iTunes server w/ a Front Row interface - this was before AppleTV existed.

I'd be all over an AppleTV w/ Blu-Ray optical drive and the ability to easily install my own A/V apps on it - many an app store for AppleTV. Obviously that's not going to happen.

Blu-ray is a competing format to (.....not HD DVD) to downloading media. Apple just added HD TV Shows. I doubt they plan on putting Blu-ray on an AppleTV....

Dale_Nx26
Oct 21, 2008, 01:54 PM
hope not. the mini was the first Mac I ever bought. It brought me into the world of Apple computers. The issue right now, i think, is Apple not putting much effort into it. the mini's specs are hardly updated and the price is just not at the magical $499 point. Maybe if Apple lowered the price and updated it, people would have more interest; because the way I see it, I would not buy an obsolete machine, which is the state the mac mini is in right now. So the lack of Mac mini sales I believe is at Apple's fault. mine's still goin strong after nearly 3.5 years.

MrJingles
Oct 21, 2008, 01:54 PM
Bad news if they're just dumping it.

FANTASTIC news if they're going to replace it with a more sensible model like a midtower.

It has some cool factor, but it's extremely impractical, overpriced, and underpowered. As long as they replace it with the machine they should have shipped in the first place, it will be a huge improvement.

AMEN Brotha'! My alum iMac should hold me over for awhile (full time designer, no so pro photographer) but if my only choice is the glorified macpro desktop (I know it's cheaper than a dell workstation but 250% more than a build-it-yourself tower) I may just make the switcharoo once the new i7 hardware hits the market.

For the same price as a mid-range imac you can build a 2.8 quad core / 8GB ram /2x Hard drives for the same or cheaper. (And Vista x64 honestly is not as bad as you hear. It's no OS X but it's only marginally worse) Oh, and I'm cheap =)

stevo1
Oct 21, 2008, 01:55 PM
I'm feeling very confident that the Mini is going to be replaced.....

Surfomatic
Oct 21, 2008, 01:56 PM
Might be interesting to see the merging of the mini and Apple TV into a full-featured-home-computer-media-center-DVD/Blueray-playback-recorder device that can power a large hi-def flat screen TV. Of course I'm dreaming, but I'd like to connect one small box that does it all: DVD & Blueray playback and recording, gaming, iTunes interface for playing and purchasing music and video, viewing iPhoto albums on the big screen, surfing the web, and even importing and editing home movies, plus whatever else a reasonably powered Macintosh computer can do. The logical convergence of media devices.

TheNorthWaves
Oct 21, 2008, 01:56 PM
it's probably having poor sales. They should drop the price to $399 and continue selling it without ever upgrading it for like 2 more years. They would make so much money. I love my mini. They need to drop the price or replace it - but dumping it is a terrible idea.

mgclayton
Oct 21, 2008, 01:57 PM
That's too bad. They were perfect machines for people who don't really "need" computers; older folks and casual e-mailers who didn't need a 20" screen...

That's a little unfair! :)
My C2D Mini is a great performer, I use it more than my MBP. OK, the graphics are lacking, but outside of that it's great. I run multiple VMs, encode video, have dozens of windows open, etc and it's not noticeably slower than my SR MBP, seriously.
My old G4 Mini is a great HT machine, and it's powering my HDTV at 1080p.

Dyne Valentine
Oct 21, 2008, 01:57 PM
Now that was a beautiful machine. I came this close to purchasing that when I started college... would have made me a switcher a lot sooner, but in the end I decided to get a cheaper (and yes, ugly) Compaq.

Oh well, all's well that ends well. :apple:

I think it would be a wise move to bring a better version of the G4 Cube back because it was an easy computer to modify(which for geeks like myself love) and it looks a lot better than the current Mini.

BenRoethig
Oct 21, 2008, 01:58 PM

If the mini and cube show anything its that the consumer desktop arena is something that the Apple of Jobs and Ive don't quite understand. Pity I was going to recommend my mother get the Mini to replace her dying HP. Guess that money will be going into a dell studio hybrid instead. Still, there is a slight chance of a cheaper iMac with a 9400M, but knowing Apple, they'll probably jack the prices out of reach with that too.

Eagle51389
As a waning Vista user, I was hoping to see an update in the near future. I would definitely buy a Mini if it was upgraded to the specs of the new (but lower end) Macbook. I'm hoping that they'll discontinue the current Mini and bring another product into the same product space. Perhaps a different shaped machine that still look professional? I don't really care about firewire, as all my periphs are USB.

Eagle

JakeDTS
I dont have much to say other than the Mac Mini was the computer that got me into apple. I could "reach" its price point and it was a great computer. Will pick up one of the dual core intels before they're gone.

Any key
Oct 21, 2008, 01:59 PM

Here Here

The :apple:TV just doesn't cut it by itself, I want a full computer and an :apple:TV hooked up to my flat screen. Let the :apple:TV and the Mac Mini get married, have a baby, feed it some spinach so that it will grow up to be a powerful multi-media computer that will play nicely with all my peripherals.

MrJingles
Oct 21, 2008, 02:00 PM
No, the mini is a ridiculously overpriced, under-powered box. It is CLEAR Apple (i.e. Steve Jobs) never wanted that thing to succeed, it was, according to many insider reports, built to satisfy stock holder's repeated demand for an affordable headless Mac. Jobs made sure it failed.

With the mini's current spec and lack of mouse or keyboard, it should sell for $399, not it's actual asking price.

You have a point there. I was very excited when the first mini was being announced because we finally would have a headless mac but after the specs came out it was obvious you were getting $300-400 in parts, minus keyboard and mouse, for what $700 at the time? (plus only a 5400rpm HD, limited in ram etc)

People aren't tech savvy so if you had to choose between a crappy compaq e-machine for $400 (with crappy monitor, keyboard and mouse) vs the mac mini with no accessories for almost twice as much there isn't much of a reason to get the mini in that person's mind. After all they obviously couldn't afford anything for more!

Rocketman
Oct 21, 2008, 02:00 PM
A few things. A baseline Mini is about $600. A baseline MacBook is about $1000. Running completely headless there is a cost upcharge for the Book. But if you need a monitor and keyboard and you plan to buy them with the Mini there is only a slight premium and you do get all-in one and mobility and BATTERY UPS for free in the deal.

As for Apple shifting to all glass displays for ecological reasons, it is a sales pitch and matte goes out the window as a result. Get a plastic cover with matte and be un-ecological. Apple refuses to breach their ecological virginity to offer a widely customer demanded feature.

The Cube form factor with its limited expandability is where I would like to see the Mini go toward. Dual internal discs, upgradable graphics, basically limited user interaction as a design point, unlike most other Macs. I would also like to see software and hardware to provide backward compatibility to older hardware accesable on the network via this Cube/mini device. I wish.

As for the higher margin computers released this week, new MacBooks starting at $1299, Apple is in a strong growth phase in terms of market share and unit volume. That has to be capitalized. Two main ways to do that is spend down the cash balance they have, or charge slightly higher margins so they partially self fund as initial capitalization is recovered. In the environment we are in taking a conservative tactic to fund rapid growth is smart. It is known companies like Apple have limited access to commercial paper so must be self funding.

It may be the case that once a level of saturation starts to show they may decrease margins a bit for the reverse of the above reasons. It will be interesting to watch what strategy Apple employs when they actually have a LARGE market share.

Rocketman

VideoShooter
Oct 21, 2008, 02:01 PM
I read three pages, so could have missed someone else's comments.

Why not a mini ITX Atom setup?

The mini is a web/email/word processing machine.

Plenty of power with atom and you could make a incredible cheap mini with those specs. If they want more switchers... It's the equivalent of a free crack rock.

Now of course... I wouldn't expect it. But, I wouldn't mind making my own ;)

I'd like an updated version to use as a media server. But I won't do that until they're updated to Nvidia chipsets.

Bonte
Oct 21, 2008, 02:01 PM
Think about it, if Apple brings us a small $400 tablet it would be as fast as the current Mini and smaller. Apple TV also, the iPod touch has almost exactly the same functionality so why keep it alive?

Rivix
Oct 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
hopefully the update will be combined with apple tv.

I was thinking something similar.

The MacMini always tempted me, but the weak specs that they never bothered to update always held me back. It was also overpriced (especially in Canada).

mattwolfmatt
Oct 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
Mac Mini is the "gateway" (the adjective, not the brand) Mac for a lot of PC switchers: like me.

Just 15 months ago I had no apple products at all. Now look at my signature! I'm in the apple store so much they know me and all say "MATT!" when I walk in like I'm Norm from Cheers.

All because of that crappy Mac Mini - which I still use at home.

For a lot of PC switchers, the [perceived] problem with Macs is their steep price; the mini eased the burden a bit.

apearlman
Oct 21, 2008, 02:03 PM
I can't imagine that Apple is going to have nothing available at a price below $1000. How many consumers start with computers less than that price? MOST.

Either this is as dumb a decision as we all think, or Apple has a surprise for us. I hope it's the latter, but it does seem like a lot of Apple's moves have been misguided lately.

queshy
Oct 21, 2008, 02:03 PM
I don't see why they have to discontinue it. It's a good idea. They could easily but in a 2.0 GHz C2D with 120 GB HDD standard and superdrive, and even lower the price by $50.

Ted13
Oct 21, 2008, 02:04 PM
No, the mini is a ridiculously overpriced, under-powered box.

Yet not a single PC manufacturer ever released a competitive machine at a lower price. Sony had some similar form factor models priced in the $2-3K range. Or there were the no brand stuff with LOUD fans that didn't have Core 2 Duo processors, Firewire, DVI or even a Windows install. I know Dell came out with a Mini clone recently but IIRC they too didn't compete.

Sorry, the Mini is not overpriced.

The Mini was and remains unique. It will be a tragedy of Apple kills it without replacing it. Fortunately its death has been predicted about as often as the demise of Steve Jobs and both are still alive and well.

P.S. I have been a Mac user since 1984 and the Mini has been my favorite Mac -- it is a great HTPC.

The Tall One
Oct 21, 2008, 02:04 PM
I don't see the point of a mac mini, but I know that a lot of people do. Killing it seems like another stupid move on the part of apple. Apple used to be such a down to earth, customer based company that encouraged us to think different and be creative. Now its business as usual. How boring.

ZacUSNYR
Oct 21, 2008, 02:05 PM
What a shame. I've been waiting for a revamp to get one - perhaps if they take 50% off the 2ghz one i'll pick one up anyway. I just want 4gb of ram.

happydude
Oct 21, 2008, 02:07 PM
oh, common, apple. this mini is such a great option for those who have all the peripherals and just need an updated computer. please keep this as an option. upgrade it, market it for schools, consumer markets, college students . . . common!!!!

ZiggyPastorius
Oct 21, 2008, 02:07 PM
I can't imagine that Apple is going to have nothing available at a price below $1000. How many consumers start with computers less than that price? MOST.

Either this is as dumb a decision as we all think, or Apple has a surprise for us. I hope it's the latter, but it does seem like a lot of Apple's moves have been misguided lately.

Well, to be fair, the White Macbook is $999 :p

jzuena
Oct 21, 2008, 02:08 PM
geez, i hope this doesn't happen. i was hoping for a new version that allowed more ram than 1 gig!

Every Mini since the Intel transition has allowed at least 2 GB.

AlphaBob
Oct 21, 2008, 02:09 PM

This is EXACTLY my situation too. I bought the Mac mini to work with my iPod and as a media device for my entertainment center. It has served me well and I've bought two more Macs as a result. The mini gave me a very low cost way to discover Macs and their software.

I really think Apple needs both the Apple TV item (for clueless computer-phobic users) as well as some mini-like device for those that wish to add basic computer functions to their entertainment system. I can't tell you the number of times I watch something and grab the keyboard to do some googling right then and there. That wouldn't happen without the mini.

As much as I love it, it is sorely in need for an overhaul.

specialbuddy
It's funny how Apple is going green with all of their new products when their original green product was probably the mini. It uses a very little amount of electricity when compared to a tower and probably less then a laptop. I hope they make a cube or something else to replace it because I was planning on buying one of these. Hell if they made a mini type computer with dedicated graphics I would buy one for 1000 because I want a desktop but move around too much to want something big. If they had a refurb at $400 then I would have bought one already but I can't get myself to pay 500-600 dollars for a computer that's a year old.

cantthinkofone
I think it could have done a lot better if they kept it up on par with the rest of the macs.

It's had the same design it's whole life hasn't it?

AtHomeBoy_2000
Oct 21, 2008, 02:10 PM
The MacMini had several flaws from the start. Too Small, Too Expensive, Not Expandable.

We all know Apple has the desire to be different. They really pushed it by trying to sell one of the smallest desktop computers on the market. The problem was that to make that happen, they needed smaller, more expensive parts.

What they need to do is come out with a low end tower. Something that has some expansion ports on the back, at a much smaller price point. You can get dell towers for $350.

Yes Dell and Apple look at things very differently, but if you want switchers, you need cheaper price points. Let the ease of use be the selling point, not the design.

DaBrain
Oct 21, 2008, 02:10 PM
I hope this is NOT true BUT I fear that it is!

I have introduced many to OSX via the mac mini as they could not afford it otherwise. Hope something takes its place but the way things have been going I doubt it! :rolleyes:

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 02:13 PM
My prediction:

Apple may reduce the price of the iMacs, but more likely add a $999 model:

iMac 2.0 GHz, 1Gig RAM, 160 Gig Hard Drive, Superdrive

So, for $200 more than the $799 Mini, you get a slightly larger hard disk, a display, discreet graphics, a keyboard, and mouse...

Good-bye, Mini!!! :mad:

iMacmatician
Oct 21, 2008, 02:14 PM
Sounds like this could be true. The Mac Mini shares most of its parts with its MacBook siblings. If the Mini were to be refreshed, it would've happened along side the MacBook redesign.Has the MacBook and Mac mini ever been updated together? Although the iMac and Mac mini have been updated together twice before (not the latest iMac update, hmmm...)

queshy
Oct 21, 2008, 02:14 PM
The MacMini had several flaws from the start. Too Small, Too Expensive, Not Expandable.

We all know Apple has the desire to be different. They really pushed it by trying to sell one of the smallest desktop computers on the market. The problem was that to make that happen, they needed smaller, more expensive parts.

What they need to do is come out with a low end tower. Something that has some expansion ports on the back, at a much smaller price point. You can get dell towers for $350.

Yes Dell and Apple look at things very differently, but if you want switchers, you need cheaper price points. Let the ease of use be the selling point, not the design.
There will never be a midrange tower. It's just not how they do things. Apple's whole motto is that it's "an all in one world". The mini goes against that, but a midrange tower would throw up on the imaginary line between the iMac and the mac mini.

billystlyes
Oct 21, 2008, 02:15 PM
it's probably having poor sales.
Then the iMac is really sucking. The Mac mini outsells the iMac almost every day on Amazon. Mostly because people hate glossy screens though.....

AtHomeBoy_2000
Oct 21, 2008, 02:17 PM
There will never be a midrange tower. It's just not how they do things. Apple's whole motto is that it's "an all in one world". The mini goes against that, but a midrange tower would throw up on the imaginary line between the iMac and the mac mini.

right. that was kind of my point. While the low end tower might be good, it isnt what they do.

Eidorian
Oct 21, 2008, 02:17 PM
My prediction:

Apple may reduce the price of the iMacs, but more likely add a $999 model:

iMac 2.0 GHz, 1Gig RAM, 160 Gig Hard Drive, Superdrive

So, for $200 more than the $799 Mini, you get a slightly larger hard disk, a display, discreet graphics, a keyboard, and mouse...

Good-bye, Mini!!! :mad:But it's a better deal? Am I right? :rolleyes:

nicksoper
Oct 21, 2008, 02:18 PM
We have 2 mac mini's in the office. They work very well and are just as fast as my macbook pro.

If they kill it, and we don't have an upgrade path for those work stations, then we will have 2 cinema displays with nothing monitor-less to plug them into, except a mac pro (which are toxic apparently (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1759380&tstart=135)?) I was very keen to have a nice media center when I upgraded the office macs.

If our cheapest upgrade option becomes a macbook, that starts raising some issues for us as a small web design co. despite have another screen and greater versatility of the macbook. If we didn't want laptops (which need insurance), we would need the mac pros or the iMacs..

This could put a bit of pressure on the lower end of the market. I personally think Apple will produce an equivalent model if they kill the current one.

Keeping the faith.

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 02:20 PM
But it's a better deal? Am I right? :rolleyes:

Yes, unless, like me, you've already bought a 20" LCD back when they were $1,100... :eek:

I just called a local Mac dealer. They've got one of each of the Minis in stock - they're not getting any more... :eek:

Courtaj
Oct 21, 2008, 02:21 PM
I personally feel that Apple has no interest of any sort in the headless computer arena and have moved on without addressing all the winning crying little children that say there life is over with out a Mini replacement.This little kiddie ain't cryin'. I just bought me a new Mini. And I feel like a little kid again!

Oneness
Oct 21, 2008, 02:26 PM
I am sooooo glad I bought my mini in July and upgraded it myself.:D

I believe that Macrumors has 4 active threads on the impending demise of the mac mini with a total of severeal thousand posts. There's going to be a lot of unhappy Appleboys if this is true and there is not a replacement.

Mac Mini may you R.I.P. :)

qwertz999
Oct 21, 2008, 02:27 PM
killing the macmini is a big mistake!

randallisation
Oct 21, 2008, 02:27 PM
I do hope not, we use loads of Mac minis where I work as general desktop machines (all our machines are Mac, 60+ either eMacs being replaced with minis).

It wouldn't be an option for us to buy iMacs (we have had other clients have many problems with them), and we just cannot afford Mac Pros.

Plus, they are easier to move onto my workbench than an eMac!

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 02:28 PM
I am sooooo glad I bought my mini in July and upgraded it myself.:D

I believe that Macrumors has 4 active threads on the impending demise of the mac mini with a total of severeal thousand posts. There's going to be a lot of unhappy Appleboys if this is true and there is not a replacement.

Mac Mini may you R.I.P. :)

MR is locking the other threads, stating to post to this one instead...

G4R2
Oct 21, 2008, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't be completely surprised if the Mini is discontinued. My impression is that while Mac's have increased in market share that growth has been largely driven by sales of notebooks, desktops, and iMac's, with Mini's probably bringing in the last tier. Without numbers I can only speculate but I would think that Mini sales are flatlined.

Also, I think that Apple would be better off to improve the hardware for the Apple TV.

archer75
Oct 21, 2008, 02:29 PM
I think this would be a huge mistake by apple. The mini is a great entry point into macs and most of us already own monitors, keyboard and mice and don't need any. A headless option is great. I'd take a tower to replace it so I could upgrade the video card.

But integrated video has come a long ways and the mini could hopefully be upgraded with something worthwhile. A 9400m perhaps?
A mini with HDMI 1.3 would replace my current HTPC in a heartbeat.

stagi
Oct 21, 2008, 02:32 PM
It has presumed to be dead for so long I think they will keep it going until next year in Jan and update a new mini/:apple:tv unit :)

BlizzardBomb
Oct 21, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm sure there's a market for a slightly larger $749 Mac mini with a 250 GB 3.5" HDD, 2 GB RAM, 2.26 GHz, SuperDrive and a GMA X4500.

musicforme
Oct 21, 2008, 02:37 PM
I didn't read through all seven pages of the thread, so this may already be covered in it.

Another forum I frequent has one of it members one of the lead engineers of the Mini. Within the past couple of months he has moved on to another group within Apple. He can't/won't say what he's moved on to, but he's no longer on the Mini team.

ArtOfWarfare
Oct 21, 2008, 02:37 PM
I expect Apple is aiming for an extremely simple line up:

Consumer Desktop
Professional Desktop
Consumer Portable
Professional Portable
Media Desktop
Media Portable

Consumer Desktop is the iMac. Professional Desktop is the Mac Pro. No need for the mini. They'll just release an iMac with a lower price point and smaller screen.

Consumer Portable is the MacBook. Professional Portable is the MacBook Pro. No need for the air. Portables just keep getting thinner/lighter... I think the air will be gone within 2 years.

Just the iPod Touch for media. The mini's only saving feature is it's low price point. As the cost of the parts for the touch get cheaper, it'll get booted out. The classic will also get the boot as the SSD drives get more capacity/cheaper. The iPod Shuffle... I'm not sure about it... I can easily see it getting kicked out too but being so dirt cheap and single purposed... of course Apple isn't the kind of company to make that kind of product. I think it's going the way of the mini.

The Apple TV will be the only desktop media, as it already is. I think it may be replaced with a literal TV though with the Apple TV software built in.

koobcamuk
Oct 21, 2008, 02:38 PM
MR is locking the other threads, stating to post to this one instead...

In an ironically "Apple" manoeuvre.

compuguy1088
Oct 21, 2008, 02:38 PM
I just (as of this posting) checked the Online Apple Store. The mac mini is still listed there, as well as the product page on Apple's site.....

madmaxmedia
Oct 21, 2008, 02:40 PM

No, it's not. It's called market research, and every company even 1/100th the size of Apple does it.

In other times this kind of move might fly, but if the Mini is indeed cancelled with no replacement then I think this is gonna bite them in the ass in a year or so. Especially if the white MacBook is phased out too (not sure of their plans there.)

EagerDragon
Oct 21, 2008, 02:41 PM
Maybe it did not sell well, but it was their own doing. The Mini was overpriced and underpowered for the price and on top of that they failed to update it for over a year. Everyone been waiting for an update and holding to purchase a beefier Mini now have no choices other than the current model or eBay.

Sucks

Wild-Bill
Of course they're discontinuing it. First of all, it's got Firewire, so right away that's a no-no. :p And second, why produce a product where the customer has to supply their own keyboard, mouse, and display when they would happily supply you with all that stuff, for a premium.....

I don't expect much out of Apple anymore. Their keynotes starting back in 2007 at the developer's conference, to date have been totally lackluster. They are now pulling out features on their products (firewire anyone??) in order to save money, even though they are saving money in the long run with their new laptop production process.
Pro-level hardware and software have taken a BACK SEAT in favor of the quick-buck consumer gadgetry. (*not saying that the mini is a pro level product by any means). That's where the money is, and that's ALL that Apple cares about. And with 20 BILLION in cash lying around, I cannot for the life of me figure out why Jobs and Co. are hell-bent on fleecing the customer by charging high prices and systematically stripping their products of features.

Remember when the remote CAME WITH their laptops? Remember when the mini-dvi to dvi and vga cables CAME WITH the MBP's and Powerbooks? My 12" PB CAME WITH both connectors. It also came with FIREWIRE and a matte display.

Snow Leopard? "Here's what Leopard should have been, but we redirected too many resources to the iPhone" operating system. Yeah, they'll only charge you $129 for the feature set you should have had with leopard in the first place.
Remember .Mac? Why they changed the name is beyond me. And how they completely screwed up the MobileMe launch is also a mystery. Took them almost three weeks to straighten that fiasco out.

Lackluster keynotes and developer conferences, stripped-down (not in price) product offerings, waning pro-level hardware offerings, glossy this: glossy that. Welcome to the NEW Apple.........minus the Mac Mini. :rolleyes:

alexm13
lets hope for an update....:D

Lumeswell
Oct 21, 2008, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't be completely surprised if the Mini is discontinued. My impression is that while Mac's have increased in market share that growth has been largely driven by sales of notebooks, desktops, and iMac's, with Mini's probably bringing in the last tier. Without numbers I can only speculate but I would think that Mini sales are flatlined.

I don't have numbers either, but suspect you are partly right - but have they flatlined because it has been neglected for so long, almost becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.

If it had been upgraded, even lagging behind the Mac books slightly, I think it would maintain sales at that end of the market.at.

Mr. Giver '94
Oct 21, 2008, 02:45 PM
That's too bad if it's true. I used to have a Mini and it was a great little machine. It would have a lot of potential if they uped the specs and redesigned it to be black and aluminum. It seems like this rumor might be true because the new Apple display is non-compatible with either the Mini or the Pro, which is not the way I'd go if I were in charge of these decisions. I hope we see a revamped model soon instead of just casting it aside because it is not a failed product, just a neglected one. :apple:

alexm13
Oct 21, 2008, 02:46 PM
Pro-level hardware and software have taken a BACK SEAT in favor of the quick-buck consumer gadgetry.

couldn't of said it better

Bitmap Frog
Oct 21, 2008, 02:48 PM
A keyboard computer? old school way? Hmm...

iMac: the screen is the computer!
iKey: the keyboard is the computer!

Could work :D

nsjoker
Oct 21, 2008, 02:48 PM
If this is true, it's indeed a sad day. The Gen1 Mac mini was the most solid computer I've ever owned. It never gave me any problems and while it wasn't a speed demon, it was peppy enough for most tasks and got the job done 100% of the time. I'll miss ya :(

dual64bit
Oct 21, 2008, 02:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I think it would be difficult to fit some of the newer technology into the mini. It makes a great test server though in an Xserve environment

KevinPlusPlus
Oct 21, 2008, 02:50 PM
C'mon people. Enter the Mac nano. Right out of the iPod playbook.

nVidia chipset - smaller PCB
1.8" hard drive (80 or 120 GB)
Likely no optical drive
Firewire - probably not
Mini Displayport for new LED display(s)

New Apple TV = New Mac nano ??

:apple:

jellomizer
Oct 21, 2008, 02:54 PM
I am not to suprised about that. The Mac Mini tried to fill a niche that wasn't really there.
While it was the cheapest Mac. It wasn't really a good value. Putting some (rather basic) upgrades in it quickly made it more expensive then an equivalently spec'ed iMac. I think the Niche that needs to be filled is a consumer end Mac Pro replacement. A Desktop PC, with easy to interchange parts that run Mac OS X legally. No small form factor use the good quality but cheaper bigger stuff. In essence a normal range PC around $500.00 that is spec'ed well but not small. For small we have Laptops, the Mac Mini like the Cube tries to get into the area of small PC's which never got a big market.

apull
Oct 21, 2008, 02:55 PM
And with 20 BILLION in cash lying around, I cannot for the life of me figure out why Jobs and Co. are hell-bent on fleecing the customer by charging high prices and systematically stripping their products of features.

Remember when the remote CAME WITH their laptops? Remember when the mini-dvi to dvi and vga cables CAME WITH the MBP's and Powerbooks? My 12" PB CAME WITH both connectors. It also came with FIREWIRE and a matte display.

You forgot the Apple Remote, now $19. Serious, $19 for that cheap piece of plastic? Sounds about right, what with $225 to upgrade the plastic macbook to a 4gb (~$55) of ram. If you consider the base 1GB, you're somehow paying $75/GB of RAM!

BenRoethig
Oct 21, 2008, 02:56 PM
C'mon people. Enter the Mac nano. Right out of the iPod playbook.

nVidia chipset - smaller PCB
1.8" hard drive (80 or 120 GB)
Likely no optical drive
Firewire - probably not
Mini Displayport for new LED display(s)

Takes the inadequacies of the MacMini to a whole new level.
Only $1299.

Seriously, who in God's name is going to buy it, it would be too expensive and almost completely worthless as a desktop.

snberk103
Oct 21, 2008, 02:56 PM
I (still) say.... what until November before scheduling the wake. From what I've read, the Mini's were traditionally not updated at the same time as the portables...... And ...... Why would the new LED display, that is being introduced in November, have built in iSight and speakers, if its designed to only work with the new MBs and MBPs - since they already have an iSight and speakers?

I think Apple has something up their sleeves. It won't be the Mini we know, IMHO, but something that's designed to work with the new LED displays, and perhaps be your network/media hub at home. Apple is pushing the concept of downloaded media content pretty heavily, through iTunes. Its not going to take too long before the new portables fill up with movies, TV shows, music, etc. Perhaps the new Mini is designed to work with Time Capsule, and the new display, and your portable store and stream media to you wherever you are? If the Mini became a media centre that also required Time Capsule and Mobile Me to work fully (i.e. content stored on TC, but streamed to you - where ever you were on the internet - via MM) then I can Apple doing that. Buy one piece of affordable hardware, but really you need to also buy a TC and MM.

Anyway, just speculation..... but wait 'til November. The new display doesn't make sense without a Mini replacement....

Beric
Oct 21, 2008, 02:57 PM

QFT.

And I for one will no longer put up with it. When I can get a MBP's specs for $1299 from HP, or from other brands a machine that kills a MBP for $1400, I'm quitting MacLand for good. I will no longer put up with incredible prices for products in very limited product lines.

I was gonna give Apple another generation of computers to get things right, but now I'm not so sure even waiting till then is worth it.

I'm completely fed up with Apple's overpriced, limiting products.

ziwi
Oct 21, 2008, 02:58 PM
Let's just say they tried to make the new nVidia board work in the mini and it was way too hot or too noisey. Next step - report it up and then the decision comes back to essentialyl state - what can you make that is similar and quiet - we could then rebrand and sell it with new fanfare...Or it could just be gone...

MM123
Oct 21, 2008, 02:59 PM
I was waiting for a new Mini for a very long time, but finally Apple kill the poor Mini, ok I say goodbye Apple, hello Hackintosh.

Steamie
Oct 21, 2008, 03:01 PM
Well that's a scunner ! I was going to get my 11yr old one for his Christmas....
Back to the drawing board on that one then.

TeamMojo
Oct 21, 2008, 03:01 PM
The Mac Mini is a very useful platform. Not only do end users benefit from a small machine that makes a great server, media server, co-lo box, cheap alternative to the bigger macs, etc. but Apple benefits as well.

The Mac Mini is very similar to the Apple TV/ Time Capsule and possibly other future devices. It makes sense to leverage the Mac OS, and to build a multitude of small box shaped products with similar hardware, because Apple has come up with many great specialized appliances. Apple could easily take back the market from Cable/ DSL routers that they lost to Netgear, and Linksys by using their excellent UI, AJAX experience, design for simplicity, etc. And there is plenty of opportunity with set top boxes, PVRs, etc.

Killing the Mini is a bad idea. I've bought or recommended many of these machines, and it would be a big shame to lose the low end, commodity style hardware for the Apple Market that exists for the Linux/ PC market.

Urenstaat
Oct 21, 2008, 03:02 PM
I don't expect much out of Apple anymore. ....
Pro-level hardware and software have taken a BACK SEAT in favor of the quick-buck consumer gadgetry.

True, I'm preparing myself mentally to switch back to Windows when my current hardware wears out. OSX is the better OS but with these hardware limitations, I don't know... Windows starts to appeal to me more and more. In the previous years I have bought cheap Windows systems for work when I needed them for the software (pre-Bootcamp). I wouldn't hesitate buying a Windows PC for the hardware. I hope Apple comes around and starts offering more choice in hardware.

CWallace
Oct 21, 2008, 03:02 PM
Even if Apple updated it with the specs of the current MacBook, I doubt sales would rebound much, if at all.

The model just no longer has strong appeal to retail sales - and that is where Apple sells product. I imagine most of us here on MacRumors:Forums are not primarily retail buyers for our computer equipment (outside of Apple products, by necessity) so our opinions on the Mac Mini really don't reflect the general Apple consumer.

For them, the MacBook and iMac are perfect models offering everything they need in a new computer.

They don't have brand-new third-party LCD monitors they want to keep. Even if the Mini had the same CPU, HDD, optical drive and GPU of the iMac, those people need monitors so the iMac is the better option (that is why I bought an iMac and not a Mini).

They don't have FireWire hard drives and scanners and audio/video equipment they need to ensure can be plugged in to their new machine. So the lack of FireWire on the new MacBook doesn't affect them.

And Apple no longer needs an "inexpensive" model to entice people to try the OS X and Macintosh platforms now that every model runs Windows as a fall-back.

Like the old eMac, the Mac Mini's mission has been completed. And like an old soldier, it will never die, but just fade away...

Fitzcaraldo
Oct 21, 2008, 03:04 PM
There are a thousand uses (beyond the conventional) for a small headless Mac OS X based computer aka Mac mini.

Removing it would make me seriously question the wider viability of OS X in general.

hermanzaum
Oct 21, 2008, 03:06 PM
Without the Mini I wouldn't been able to move my company entirely to Macs. We even use a few Minis as (very reliable) servers.
The Mini sells a lot here in Brazil (a lot more than iMacs) probably because people have less money to spend - and we can guess the same happens to whomever wants a Mac but don't have the dough for an iMac (or hate the mirror-like glossy screen) or a MacBook.
It would make much harder for companies to move to Macs because the cheapest desktop option is the $1,199 iMac.
Of course Apple may not be interested in the corporate market... Then just kill the OS X Server and the XServer already, Apple!

Auzburner
Oct 21, 2008, 03:08 PM
it's hard to see any mac go, especially something as cool, small and unique as the mini.

pauldy
Oct 21, 2008, 03:08 PM
A rumor from gizmodo, Page 2 enough said.

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 03:14 PM
A rumor from gizmodo, Page 2 enough said.

And now FRONT PAGE of Cnet News.com (quoting Gizmondo...).

Joe The Dragon
Oct 21, 2008, 03:14 PM

The cpu / chip set are not being made any more so that can be put as a main line system.

madmaxmedia
Oct 21, 2008, 03:15 PM
Takes the inadequacies of the MacMini to a whole new level.
Only $1299.

Seriously, who in God's name is going to buy it, it would be too expensive and almost completely worthless as a desktop.

Because it's made from a single piece of aluminum?

AtariKee
Oct 21, 2008, 03:16 PM

I concur.

The loud whining minority that's screaming for a "headless" or entry-level junk midtower needs to give it up. It will NOT happen, EVER. Apple will never sell a junk midtower expandable Mac and cannibalize their WORKING market strategy.

Did I mention that their market strategy WORKS. 20 billion bucks in the bank...

Can't afford a Mac? That's not Apple's problem, or anyone else's but yours.

QFT.

And I for one will no longer put up with it. When I can get a MBP's specs for $1299 from HP, or from other brands a machine that kills a MBP for $1400, I'm quitting MacLand for good. I will no longer put up with incredible prices for products in very limited product lines.

I was gonna give Apple another generation of computers to get things right, but now I'm not so sure even waiting till then is worth it.

Of course they're discontinuing it. First of all, it's got Firewire, so right away that's a no-no. :p And second, why produce a product where the customer has to supply their own keyboard, mouse, and display when they would happily supply you with all that stuff, for a premium.....

I don't expect much out of Apple anymore. Their keynotes starting back in 2007 at the developer's conference, to date have been totally lackluster. They are now pulling out features on their products (firewire anyone??) in order to save money, even though they are saving money in the long run with their new laptop production process.
Pro-level hardware and software have taken a BACK SEAT in favor of the quick-buck consumer gadgetry. (*not saying that the mini is a pro level product by any means). That's where the money is, and that's ALL that Apple cares about. And with 20 BILLION in cash lying around, I cannot for the life of me figure out why Jobs and Co. are hell-bent on fleecing the customer by charging high prices and systematically stripping their products of features.

Snow Leopard? "Here's what Leopard should have been, but we redirected too many resources to the iPhone" operating system. Yeah, they'll only charge you $129 for the feature set you should have had with leopard in the first place.
Remember .Mac? Why they changed the name is beyond me. And how they completely screwed up the MobileMe launch is also a mystery. Took them almost three weeks to straighten that fiasco out.

Lackluster keynotes and developer conferences, stripped-down (not in price) product offerings, waning pro-level hardware offerings, glossy this: glossy that. Welcome to the NEW Apple.........minus the Mac Mini. :rolleyes:

Adios. Whiners are rarely missed.

MacTheSpoon
Oct 21, 2008, 03:19 PM
That would be a bummer if they discontinued it. They should replace it with something else in that case. Maybe beef up the Apple TV instead.

sreehemanth
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/21/mac-mini-to-be-discontinued/)

Gizmodo believes (http://gizmodo.com/5066531/apple-stops-mac-mini-shipments-to-retailers-says-to-expect-no-more) that the Mac mini may have already been discontinued by Apple. According to the site's European retailer sources, Apple has stopped orders for the low end Mac and has reportedly told the retailers not to expect any more.Rumors of the demise of the Mac mini started circulating (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/24/mac-mini-to-be-discontinued/) back in May, 2007, though the most recent reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/21/mac-mini-not-dead-yet/) have claimed that Apple was still working on revising it.

Apple will be reporting (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/17/apple-to-release-q4-2008-financial-results-on-october-21st/) their Q4 2008 financial results today, and could reveal more during their conference call.

Article Link: Mac Mini to be Discontinued? (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/21/mac-mini-to-be-discontinued/)

I would not like to see the Mac Mini die out.... at least not so soon...

Apple has brought up (rather created) this tiny computer as a replacement to the big desktops... not just as a symbol of simplicity.. but also to show that something so small fit all that you would need in a computer.. and still.. making it mobile, cool-looking, and awesome to work with.

I would outrightly oppose the idea of discontinuing Mac Mini. I do not know of any other better mini computer model at the same price point and the package.

Apple could still make several innovations to its own creation - making it smaller :), better :D, more sophisticated ;), and... may be cheaper!!! :p

alphaod
I would have liked the Mac Mini to stay; now how are we going to run low cost OS X servers?

I guess we could find refurbished and clearance MacBook computers at those prices, but still.

MattyMac
Oct 21, 2008, 03:20 PM
This will probably make the mac mini highly valuable.

allymac
Oct 21, 2008, 03:20 PM
I've been holding out for a mini update or replacement before Christmas. I'm a PC user, but I love Mac OS, I think it's beautiful to use, and I really need to replace my ancient desktop. I was hoping to replace it with a Mac. But I can't stand the Apple hardware lock in, and I certainly won't be dropping my money on Apple's overpriced hardware, the mini is the only product in my mind that offers value for money. I'm really disappointed about this rumour, as the mini would be my only route into Apple.

madmaxmedia
Oct 21, 2008, 03:21 PM
QFT.

Just wait until Jonathan Ives' runs Apple. Steve Jobs doesn't like buttons, but Ives can't stand ports! ;)

I am also not sure where this is all going to go down the road. I'm not whining, Apple is free to do whatever they want. But at some point it makes me wonder if there's really going to be a computer from them that makes sense for me 2-3 years from now. It's not so much the Mini, as it was the changes to the notebook lines that had me scratching my head.

I could possibly go Hackintosh, but I originally switched to a Mac to avoid those sorts of configuration issues.

OTOH, maybe they surprise us all at next MWSF.

pawsey1987
Oct 21, 2008, 03:23 PM
saw them hauling out a cart with stacks of mac minis out of the entrance store... maybe taking them to a reseller? i dunno. but i could believe it

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
I concur.

The loud whining minority that's screaming for a "headless" or entry-level junk midtower needs to give it up. It will NOT happen, EVER. Apple will never sell a junk midtower expandable Mac and cannibalize their WORKING market strategy.

Midtowers is something Apple will never sale - again, upsell to a Mac Pro.

Unfortunatly, the "Take It or Leave It" attitude has become very, very prevalent. No FW for your camcorder, buy a MacBook Pro. Can't afford a Mac, go to Dell. Don't like Dell's Customer Service, go buy an Acer...

Companies have this snobbish attitude now with "this is what it is", who cares what the people buying the product wants.

Looks like "money talks, baloney walks". The best we can do is just not pay for something we don't want.

Unfortunately, we buy anyways going deeper into debt....

archer75
Oct 21, 2008, 03:24 PM

Actually that is apple's problem. If you want to make money you have to sell products at prices people can afford. The more products you have covering multiple price points the more people who can and will buy your products.

madmaxmedia
Oct 21, 2008, 03:25 PM
This will probably make the mac mini highly valuable.

Except they're already too expensive (given the lack of updates.) They will hold up in value on EBay, but I doubt they'd appreciate significantly in value.

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 03:26 PM
saw them hauling out a cart with stacks of mac minis out of the entrance store... maybe taking them to a reseller? i dunno. but i could believe it

Did you really see them?

Hauling them away usually means a replacement. Usually if they are discontinued, they keep them until they sell out...

deggs37
I would so buy one if the specs weren't crap. I might still if it actually is discontinued.

Axemantitan

A very telling quote from Steve Jobs before his return to Apple:

If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth — and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago.

As quoted in Fortune (1996-02-19)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

I think that is exactly what he is doing. First he ends the Microsoft feud and allows Windows to catch up in features to the Macintosh. Then he moves us over to Intel and then makes it so that we can install Windows on our computers and now he is removing features from Macintoshes while keeping the premium prices, making us less likely to buy a Macintosh. He is gradually ending the PC/Mac war and moving us over to the PC camp.

madmaxmedia
Actually that is apple's problem. If you want to make money you have to sell products at prices people can afford.

They don't want to be the BMW to Microsoft's Toyota. They want to be the Bentley... ;)

nilk
Oct 21, 2008, 03:27 PM
Dropping the Mac Mini and not replacing it with something equivalent would be a huge mistake. The Mac Mini is their "gateway drug" machine. My first Mac was the first-generation G4 Mac Mini. It was extremely slow because of the 4200 RPM hard drive in it, and wasn't very usable because of that (unless I booted from a faster drive via Firewire), but gave me a taste of OS X (I was mainly a Linux user). A few years later I bought a Mac Pro. And now I have a MacBook Pro (previous generation refurbished) arriving in a few days.

It would be a mistake for them not to have an entry level machine as they are losing potential converts. However, I never thought the Mac Mini was a really good entry level machine. The thing is a pain to upgrade (I've done a RAM upgrade myself with the putty knife technique to open it). The small form factor is pointless, most people buying their first Mac desktop don't care about size. They should make something that uses a regular 3.5" hard drive and is user-upgradable for hard drives and RAM. Preferable allow at least two internal hard drives. Hell, I find 4 internal drives limiting on my Mac Pro. The Mac Mini should be replaced with something that is more of a mini-Mac Pro, at least if they want to convert people over from PC's. But I don't think they're going to do that.

229dan229
Oct 21, 2008, 03:27 PM
Then the iMac is really sucking. The Mac mini outsells the iMac almost every day on Amazon. Mostly because people hate glossy screens though.....

Most people dont buy an iMac of amazon =/

Rivix
Oct 21, 2008, 03:28 PM
Actually that is apple's problem. If you want to make money you have to sell products at prices people can afford. The more products you have covering multiple price points the more people who can and will buy your products.

Yup. Especially if the economy is going south.

penguy
The arrogance of some posts relating to people's ability to afford this or that is amazing to me.

The issue for this thread has to do with the Mini, and considering how many posts were made to the other mini thread, there is interest, despite what some of you believe. It certainly fit my needs for the past three years, but I too was ready for the next upgrade. I do a lot of processing of jpg and RAW files which are large and cumbersome without fast hard drives and a LOT of memory, not to mention a better graphics processor. I have everything else I need, so the Mini is/was not more expensive than the next mac or iMac.

I'm happy to consider a replacement for the mini in whatever direction Apple takes it, but hopefully it is not as described by several posters, ie, smaller (because they can) and without an optical drive, etc. This needs to be a real computer, not a desktop Macbook Air!!!

Joe The Dragon
I read three pages, so could have missed someone else's comments.

Plenty of power with atom and you could make a incredible cheap mini with those specs. If they want more switchers... It's the equivalent of a free crack rock.

The atom is weaker then to days mini with slower gpu, 1gb of ram MAX and NO GIG-E.

AtariKee
Oct 21, 2008, 03:29 PM
Midtowers is something Apple will never sale - again, upsell to a Mac Pro.

Unfortunatly, the "Take It or Leave It" attitude has become very, very prevalent. No FW for your camcorder, buy a MacBook Pro. Can't afford a Mac, go to Dell. Don't like Dell's Customer Service, go buy an Acer...

Companies have this snobbish attitude now with "this is what it is", who cares what the people buying the product wants.

Looks like "money talks, baloney walks". The best we can do is just not pay for something we don't want.

The few thousand or so whining about the changes Apple is making and decrying their "snobbish" attitude are nothing compared to the millions that actually buy the products.

Customers come and go constantly. There is truly no loyalty anymore, and I think Steve realizes this and no longer cares about a whining minority. I can imaging him shrugging at the site of some moron willing to jump ship because of a couple of changes. You can't please everybody, and its just best to let them move on. Besides, I think some people actually WANT Apple to fail so they can feel secure in their notion of jumping ship to a PC and joining their "friends".

Some people refuse to move on to newer and better. So be it. Whine away. But don't expect to get your asses kissed because it won't happen.

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 03:33 PM
Some people refuse to move on to newer and better. So be it. Whine away. But don't expect to get your asses kissed because it won't happen.

People asked for a 3G iPhone, and got it... :eek:

I guess we shall see...

Ready to purchase one to hold me over the next 3 years in case it gets canned. Will be happier if replaced instead... :D

TiggsPanther
Oct 21, 2008, 03:34 PM

Maybe so, but until/unless they actually declare it as being dead and there is official word that it will never be upgraded, then a potential update is still the best option going if needing to replace/buy a Mac on a budget.

Whilst the machine still appears on Apple's site, I simply cannot justify the extra couple of hundred quid (that is needed elsewhere) on going for a MacBook (don't need a laptop) or an iMac (don't need a screen, really can't afford the price-hike). And I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

It's not even "hope" that they'll update it, in my case. It's "fear".
I need to buy two machines. What the non-Mac is depends entirely on what the Mac purchase is. And in the ideal case, the Mac is a Mini. And as the purchases are going to be staggered by several months, I can't risk the Mini getting an update halfway through commiting to the alternate path.

I can, however, wait. Until they either kill it off entirely, or until my iBook totally keels over. But unless one of those happen, or a miracle happens and the Mini gets an update, I can't justify the extra spend.

And I know there are people out there who want them for various reasons. (Small office computers and HTPCs., amongst others) But who can 't justify the price of the current models.
The specs might be outdated now, but the Mini (as a product line) fits the exact bill for many of us out there. And until it's oficially EOLd, we will wait.

Fitzcaraldo
I concur.

Ahh professor...

I can afford a hundred macs... I use two dedicated Mac Pros for work, an iMac for communications, and a MacBook Pro on the go.

I use Mac Mini's sans keyboard, mouse, and screen for Security system, an ftp server, mail server, itunes servers, local media server, and machine controller.

Explain why i would want to use an iMac or Mac book to replace any of the above?

relimw
I've been waiting months for Apple to update these little fellows, they work great for small home servers. I suppose now I'll have to think of a different way to do things, I really don't need an iMac with a screen for a home server.....

Joe The Dragon
Oct 21, 2008, 03:35 PM
I'm sure there's a market for a slightly larger $749 Mac mini with a 250 GB 3.5" HDD, 2 GB RAM, 2.26 GHz, SuperDrive and a GMA X4500.

$749 should have video card with it's own ram not the intel GMA crap. NV 9300m / 9400m is better but at $700 - $800 on a desktop it should have 128 - 256 or maybe even 512 vram.

rjheys
Oct 21, 2008, 03:35 PM
I want a Mini to be an iMac but with out the screen, about 2.4 GHz, 4 GB memory, up to 750 hard drive and those new Nvidia graphics like the new MacBook's. That I would buy. not the crap Apple currently sell.

schneb
Oct 21, 2008, 03:37 PM
Longtime Mac users like me know what a mess Apple was in back in the 90s, exactly because of so many models and specs. SJ came and cleaned up that mess, so as to give a CLEAR message to the market.
Longtime Mac users like myself (mid-80s) know that yes, you do NOT have a multitude of SAME models with various specs. But that is NOT what I am talking about. I am talking about choices such as something in between the MacPro and the Mac Mini in regard to headless offerings. Now, it is MacPro or NOTHING as it seems to be looking. So why do you think today is better with 4 MacBooks, 2 MacBook Airs, and 3 MacBook Pros? Sounds like the 90s are back, so your point rings hollow.

Joe The Dragon
Oct 21, 2008, 03:38 PM
How about replacing it with MAC OS X for all at $200?

macnvrbck
Oct 21, 2008, 03:38 PM
The Mini was my first computer too.

The FIRST 1.25Ghz referbished for $379!!!

I bumped the memory to 1.25GB a few years back and it is still kicking ass and taking names at my parents house!

madmaxmedia
Oct 21, 2008, 03:39 PM

Well, the credit crunch will solve that problem- what if there's not enough credit to go around for people to charge their cards with? ;)

IrishMac
Oct 21, 2008, 03:40 PM
I do wonder if Apple will actually kill the Mini. If it was doing that poorly it wouldn't have lasted as long as the cube did. Instead its stuck around obviously selling enough for Apple to keep it available, with little effort on the r&d side. So thinking along those lines its easy to guess that Apple still have plans for the mini. As others have already suggested merging the ATV with the mini makes sense.

Lets hope they're brewing something new.

celavato
Oct 21, 2008, 03:42 PM
Boo if true. It's a great Mac for small business. It does what most knowledge workers need -- Office, email, Web, and other such applications. It also performs well as a file server.

What I'd like to see is a price drop with the current configuration since we often work with freelancers who only have a PC. If the Mac mini sold for $300, we could justify buying them for these freelancers to use while they work with us.

Luap
Oct 21, 2008, 03:42 PM

Gizmodo believes (http://gizmodo.com/5066531/apple-stops-mac-mini-shipments-to-retailers-says-to-expect-no-more) that the Mac mini may have already been discontinued by Apple. According to the site's European retailer sources, Apple has stopped orders for the low end Mac and has reportedly told the retailers not to expect any more.Rumors of the demise of the Mac mini started circulating (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/24/mac-mini-to-be-discontinued/) back in May, 2007, though the most recent reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/21/mac-mini-not-dead-yet/) have claimed that Apple was still working on revising it.

You realise you already posted this story at least once this year already, right? It wasn't true the first time you posted it, and as the MacMini is actually still on sale now, then it isnt true any more now than it was then.

Please, stop with the... http://thedecent.co.uk/images/smilies/beatdeadhorse.gif
It's so boring. I know you guys don't like to speculate. So why are you doing it? Post news when you have news. Rumours are one thing. Bollocks is another.

ref26
Oct 21, 2008, 03:45 PM
You realise you already posted this story at least once already, right? It wasn't true the first time you posted it, and as it's still on sale now, then it isnt true any more now than it was then.

Please, stop with the... http://thedecent.co.uk/images/smilies/beatdeadhorse.gif
It's so boring. I know you guys don't like to speculate. So why are you doing it? Post news when you have news.

Um, the site is called macRUMORS.com!

gkarris
Oct 21, 2008, 03:46 PM
Well, the Apple Conference call is about to start soon. I called the Apple Store and they DO have them in stock. This usually means if they are discontinued, they will keep them until they sell out.

In order to avoid the panic to find a Mac Cube when that got canned, I'm going to the Apple store in the hopes that I will have one in my hand the moment the announce it being discontinued.

Deciding to do this instead of opening up my old Mini and upgrading it.

If it's replaced instead, I'll wait for the new one and it was just another trip to the Apple Store.... :D

neil51
Oct 21, 2008, 03:47 PM
Hmmm….Mini and Apple TV merge, no optical drive or firewire (I know, don’t mention the ‘F’ word), 2gb fixed ram, 3.5” HDD for up to 1TB storage, HDMI and Mini Display port (or include an adapter), 3 USB ports with 1 on the front save for plugging in your camera or iPod to sync…$499? Maybe a bit far fetched…better go buy a mini just in case...

zedsdead
Oct 21, 2008, 03:48 PM
I agree that the Mac Mini is getting discontinued, and a new product, either the "Mac Air," or some kind of Hybrid-Mini/Apple TV is coming - at Macworld.

Wild-Bill
Oct 21, 2008, 03:50 PM

Hey AtariKee,

When I want your opinion........................I'll give it to you, fanboy. :rolleyes:

snberk103
Oct 21, 2008, 03:51 PM
.... Rumours are one thing. Bollocks is another. Perhaps MacRumours needs to rebrand itself... I like MacBollocks, it has a ring to it :D

BillyBobBongo
Oct 21, 2008, 03:52 PM
Gizmodo knows nothing!

Long live the Mac mini!

zombitronic
Oct 21, 2008, 03:53 PM
I hope it gets a proper funeral (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl7xQ8i3fc0).

schneb
Oct 21, 2008, 03:54 PM
You have to remember that Apple is based in Cupertino California. Even with the current housing problem you can't really buy a house there for under $500K and double that price is not unreasonable. You have to figure that the Engineers and managers working at Apple are making enough to live near the campus.

Simple. Create a sister company in Nevada or elsewhere. They do not HAVE to work in Cupertino. That should be the executive branch.

Marx55
Oct 21, 2008, 03:54 PM
THE MAC MINI IS THE BESTS MAC EVER!!!

Why? Because it is so quiet. Full stop.

Lately Apple is behaving in a fool way: not including Firewire on MacBook Air, MacBook and Apple Display, glossy mirror-like displays, etc. I guess sales will tell Apple about the error... hopefully, so they fix it ASAP!

BTW, my dream Mac desktop is a quiet miniTOWER. MY Dream mobile Mac is a pocketable computer like this, but with Mac OS X inside:

OQO model e2
http://www.oqo.com

or --even better-- a tablet like this:

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games…
http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/next-apple-moves-will-be-books-and-games

THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!

iSee
Oct 21, 2008, 03:55 PM
...I know you guys don't like to speculate. So why are you doing it? Post news when you have news. Rumours are one thing. Bollocks is another.

This is classic! You are operating under a seriously flawed premise my friend! LOL!
Quiz:
MR - speculation = what?

telmerco
Oct 21, 2008, 03:55 PM
I have a mini in a closet that is the brains behind my home theater - TV, DVDs, and iTunes all displayed on a large plasma. A bluetooth mouse and keyboard along with the iPhone Remote app (and now the Air Mouse app) make this such a simple easy to use setup. Would be a shame to pay for a monitor that I don't need (can also remote login via share the screen from my macbook pro). Sad to see it go.

celavato
Oct 21, 2008, 03:56 PM
Hmmm….Mini and Apple TV merge, no optical drive or firewire (I know, don’t mention the ‘F’ word), 2gb fixed ram, 3.5” HDD for up to 1TB storage, HDMI and Mini Display port (or include an adapter), 3 USB ports with 1 on the front save for plugging in your camera or iPod to sync…$499? Maybe a bit far fetched…better go buy a mini just in case...

What about a merged Apple TV, mini, and Time Capsule? They all have the same form factor.

jephrey
Maybe someone mentioned this before.

The ONLY reason I might be good with discontinuing the mini is if it's somewhat absorbed into the :apple:tv. This is quite a possibility, especially as blu-ray drives become more common in devices. Could be good. I think it's quite likely.

madmaxmedia
Most people dont buy an iMac of amazon =/

No, but most people probably don't buy a Mac Mini off Amazon either. It is significant that Amazon sells more Mini's than iMac's. (if that is indeed the case.)

schneb
Oct 21, 2008, 03:59 PM

I agree. With todays economy, people do not buy on impulse and hold tight to their cash. Gone in 2008 is a $1-$2k Mac purchase just because it is cool and stylish. The average person is looking for something they can afford.

darkblu
Oct 21, 2008, 04:00 PM
Rumors of the mini's demise have been greatly exaggerated. But, I think they are true.

It's primary purpose for existence when introduced was to encourage switchers, by not forcing them to buy new peripherals (BYOKM). That the mini took on a life of it's own was perhaps an unintended result.

The only reason to have it around is to have an inexpensive computer coupled with a larger monitor. But with the mini at $600 and a 20" monitor at $600 you are likely to go with an iMac and get better graphics and a larger hard drive. (I understand you can buy a less expensive monitor from another vendor, but that doesn't help Apple).

I am using a mini right now, because I didn't like the glossy screen of the iMac and had an Apple cinema display already. The mini is also useful as a inexpensive server or development machine, but these uses are most likely not producing the numbers Apple wants to see.

Apple makes their money by keeping a simplified product line and keeping it around for a long time. That's how they get 30% of the money with only 10% of the computers. This also allows them to spend a lot of engineering time to come up with stuff like the Unibody enclosure. iMacs and MacBooks are the money makers for Apple and they have publicly stated again and again their lack of interest in the low margin budget PC. Better to let Dell and HP fight over the scraps.

As the economy tanks, it would seem like the appropriate response for Apple to enter this market, but that just hasn't been Apple's approach. Remember the last downturn and Apple's response? They said they would innovate through it by investing in research. That strategy worked brilliantly and set them up for the last four years of rapid growth. Their strategy is always counterintuitive; I expect them to drop the mini and eventually the white MacBook and have basically three Mac products: iMac, MacBook Pro (MacBook is a MacBook Pro now), and the PowerMac.

You may not like it, but that's what my crystal ball says.
i have to agree with your crystal ball, as much as i hate the reasoning behind it. i'm one of those who've been using a (G4) mini for their server and development needs for almost four years now. from that perspective i can state that the mini has been the best $500 i've ever spent on desktop equipment. also, trying to be a conscious consumer, i value the ability to reuse/share the HID peripherals i already own, while running at a fraction of the power consumption of other desktops. how's that for being green, apple? oh, that's right, to you customers are green as long as they're buying your latest and greatest.

bottomline being, me and the likes of me are not a market apple would care about (it's just a coincidence that many of us are developers apple might prefer to keep), ergo they don't cater to us.

so what do people like me do? for me it was simple - i went out and bought an overpriced (yet much cheaper than any other mac), somewhat outdated C2D mini last week, so i could move on with my plans for iphone development. i'm sure that second mini will return its money many times over. i wish it was as power-efficient and cool as its older G4 brother but it's still quite a runner. plus, my G4 mini is still far from retirement.

so, apple, no imac/macbook for this customer (hint: i'm not buying stuff just because i can afford it). best of luck with the college kids (i hear you're really after them), and don't mind the crumbling economy.

sincerely, a loyal customer.

Joe The Dragon
Oct 21, 2008, 04:07 PM
A very telling quote from Steve Jobs before his return to Apple:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs

I think that is exactly what he is doing. First he ends the Microsoft feud and allows Windows to catch up in features to the Macintosh. Then he moves us over to Intel and then makes it so that we can install Windows on our computers and now he is removing features from Macintoshes while keeping the premium prices, making us less likely to buy a Macintosh. He is gradually ending the PC/Mac war and moving us over to the PC camp.
and the thing is if M$ did not F* vista as it did then apple would be in bad scape now but now that vista flopped apple should have a $1200+ head less desktop.

zombitronic
Oct 21, 2008, 04:11 PM
Well, earnings are out and the Mini is still living. Living dead, maybe, but still "living."

Hattig
Oct 21, 2008, 04:12 PM
If this is true then that's my next Mac purchase plans killed off. I was going to get one (once Apple updated it) for my London place for working on during the week rather than the old iBook - it's a small place and I don't want to have two screens in the room. I'm just glad I didn't buy the monitor I had spotted that seemed ideal (T220HD) for my needs (because of the varied inputs) because of Apple's switch to Mini DisplayPort.

I am really hoping that this means that Apple have got a formfactor change in mind, but otherwise will be kind of similar to the current model. And use the NVIDIA chipset, of course.

kresh
Oct 21, 2008, 04:13 PM
It is all becoming clear. It is one of two situations:

1) Steve Jobs really has something terminal. He is obviously scrambling to secure his legacy as the world's most influential technology leader. Who cares about Apple's lineup. It's all about impossibly thin miracles of technology, made using radical manufacturing techniques that will burn his name forever in the history of the tech world. He wants to be a Leonardo Da Vinci, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, or Dr. Zefram Cochrane (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/ENT/character/1071386.html) of the computer industry. He craves the idea of people speaking his name 500 years from now when they discuss computers on Alpha Centauri.

2) Steve Jobs hast realized that while the G4 Mac Mini was an astounding deal, the current Mac Mini is horribly over priced for what it is.

I'm betting on number 2.

MacFly123
Oct 21, 2008, 04:15 PM
They better replace it with something in the same category if they discontinue the Mini. I want one in my car but have been waiting for a refresh because it hasn't been worth buying for a while since it is so outdated.

Really not a good idea especially with the way the economy is now people will be more and more interested in something like the Mini!

Most switchers I know don't even know about the Mini (they know the laptops and the iMac) and when I tell them about the Mini they get all excited and impressed at how small it is. Apple needs to update it and make an ad for it.

Please Mini don't go! :(

k2spitfire88
Oct 21, 2008, 04:19 PM
While that is true, Apple's strategy isn't hurting them yet, as they are the fastest growing computer company, even with there prices. Heck, I just spent 1800 on the new macbook, and honestly, it was the best 1800 i ever spent. EDIT: The reason I say this is that people are willing to buy a Mac, regardless of price, just because of the ease of use. I showed many of my friends the simplicity of OS X, and they either have bought, or want to buy a new Mac, ASAP. Apple realizes people will buy their products, and that is why they can afford to handle business they way they do.
I want a Mini to be an iMac but with out the screen, about 2.4 GHz, 4 GB memory, up to 750 hard drive and those new Nvidia graphics like the new MacBook's. That I would buy. not the crap Apple currently sell.
Apple would never sell that in the future. Once that becomes considered low end, they would sell them at the mini price point, but not now, as it would be ridiculously underpriced for Apple. Remember, for them, it is all about the margin, and that kind of product, at the mini's price point would not give it to them.