Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I am going to install a 512 stick of ram from crucial into my 15 inch powerbook. Is there anything special i should be aware of? I have read apple's manual on installing ram, and it seems relatively easy, but i dont want to ruin my new power book either! i have done desktops before, but never a laptop. thanks!
Don

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
you should have gotten a hardware check CD with your powerbook... one of the tests it does is the memory check.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Mine came with AppleCare... The only CD's I received with my PB was the Software Restore and iLife '04.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Originally posted by tomf87
Mine came with AppleCare... The only CD's I received with my PB was the Software Restore and iLife '04.

Right. Put in the Software Restore DVD (it's a DVD, not a CD, right?) and reboot. Hold down the option key as it boots. Select the Hardware Test when the boot disk selection screen comes up.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
In the manual, it states there is a way to just check to see if it recognizes the new memory. could i just do that instead of doing the dvd thing?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
sure, just go to the apple menu on the top left, choose "About this Mac"

a window will pop up and it should tell you the processor and the RAM.

that screen only tells you if the memory is recognized or not. i think DVD hardware check will be more thorough and check if memory is bad or not (but it may still be recognized.)

you only need to do this very rarely... why not take the time and get it done?

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Hardware check is kind of un-needed for RAM, in my opinion. It will be VERY apparent your ram is bad if it is, as your computer will begin acting like a cracked out raver chick. :)

Also regarding static, you'll always carry a little charge on your body no matter what you do unless you're wearing an anti-static bracelet... Just be careful not to touch any bare metal contacts/circuit traces on either the ram stick, or the inside of your PowerBook after you take the cover off. :p

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
um, i think it's in the software restore DVD...

if the only disc you got was the iLife, then you are missing something. call apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.