PDA

View Full Version : More Pepsi-iTunes Opportunities... and McDonalds?

MacRumors
Feb 3, 2004, 09:10 AM
A few readers have noted that 20oz Pepsi Bottles are not the only location that you can find the iTunes/Pepsi 100 Million Song Giveaway.

7-11 convenience stores are carrying specially marked (Apple Logo'd) Pepsi cups. Some photos of the cup are shown here (http://homepage.mac.com/jameskersbergen/iTunes-Pepsi/PhotoAlbum6.html).

Another reader notes that their local gas stations carry the same Pepsi-iTunes cups.

Meanwhile, according to one source... the previously rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031119134745.shtml) McDonald's-iTunes giveaway is reportedly a "go"... with iTunes songs to be given away on specially marked French Fries/Sodas at the popular fast-food chain.

stoid
Feb 3, 2004, 09:12 AM
Why do I get the feeling that Maryville, Missouri is going to be getting stiffed on all free music goodness?

Gravesland
Feb 3, 2004, 09:15 AM
Searching hi and low for Pepsi Bottles here in Music City USA (Nashville, TN) and coming up with squat.

IndyGopher
Feb 3, 2004, 09:17 AM
While I think it is great to see as many outlets and avenues for this promotion as possible, I think the best part of this is the reasonable hope that there will finally be an end to the mewling whines of "why not Mountain Dew?" from the people who don't understand what a sales promotion is intended to do.

(To clarify, the demographic Pepsi is trying to convert already buys Mountain Dew. This is not a reward for buying what you already buy, it's supposed to get people to switch to Pepsi from other drinks.. Coke, Bottled Water, bottled ice coffee, etc. In short, God forbid, it's not all about YOU)

Photorun
Feb 3, 2004, 09:19 AM
Yowsa! So many opportunities to win free music, so much stuff that's bad for ya!

lindmar
Feb 3, 2004, 09:20 AM
dont worry,, 100 million bottles of pepsi with 1 and 3 odds.. these are going to be around for a while and flood the market everywhere.. hang in there they will reach your area.

SilentPanda
Feb 3, 2004, 09:22 AM
I was just reading an article on CNN which says Coke is teaming up with MusicMatch (which we already knew) and Heineken is teaming up with whatever Real is offering. The pepsi/iTunes one is the only one that really does anything for me though... while I don't have a Pepsi or Coke preference I do have a Mac sooo... MusicMatch obviously doesn't do anything for me... and I don't drink beer and wouldn't use Real's thing on any platform.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/02/02/pepsi.itunes.ad.ap/index.html

Steamboatwillie
Feb 3, 2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Gravesland
Searching hi and low for Pepsi Bottles here in Music City USA (Nashville, TN) and coming up with squat.

Same here in Memphis <sigh>

Chip NoVaMac
Feb 3, 2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by IndyGopher
While I think it is great to see as many outlets and avenues for this promotion as possible, I think the best part of this is the reasonable hope that there will finally be an end to the mewling whines of "why not Mountain Dew?" from the people who don't understand what a sales promotion is intended to do.

(To clarify, the demographic Pepsi is trying to convert already buys Mountain Dew. This is not a reward for buying what you already buy, it's supposed to get people to switch to Pepsi from other drinks.. Coke, Bottled Water, bottled ice coffee, etc. In short, God forbid, it's not all about YOU)

In the Northern Virginia area (Herndon/Reston) we have nothing yet too.

jholzner
Feb 3, 2004, 09:27 AM
No iTMS Pepsi bottles her in Champaign-Urbana Illinois yet either but I can wait, I'm patient...I'll just keep drinking coke until they showup. I am more excited about the McDonalds give away though. Apple just keeps the momentum going. iTMS on windows, AOL deal, Pepsi deal, McDonalds deal, HP deal....just keeps going. This is great!

theipodgod16
Feb 3, 2004, 09:28 AM
nothing in san francisco

Stike
Feb 3, 2004, 09:29 AM
If the amount of 1 billion songs given away via the McD. deal remains true, I would bet a chewing gum that it is intended for the Europe/Canada/somewhere else launch of iTMS...

Tulse
Feb 3, 2004, 09:32 AM
The McDonalds deal is huge, and much more important that Pepsi -- the McDonalds' demographic is older, more family-oriented, more "middle-American" than Pepsi, and gives the opportunity to expand iTunes to that market. (If rumour is true, it's also a much larger deal money-wise.)

I really don't understand teaming up with a beer company -- that seems like the kiss of death marketing-wise (especially an older-skewing beer like Heineken).

Given all the marketing push that Apple is doing, I really hope it drags out its (alleged) talks with Microsoft about format interoperability -- in six months, the question may be moot.

EponymousCow
Feb 3, 2004, 09:35 AM
I suspect that if the McDonald's promotion is true, we won't hear an offical peep about it until after the Pepsi promo has expired. Apple doesn't want to upstage the Pepsi promotion right now and risk pissing off a potentially valuable promotional partner.

pdrayton
Feb 3, 2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by SilentPanda
I was just reading an article on CNN which says Coke is teaming up with MusicMatch (which we already knew) and Heineken is teaming up with whatever Real is offering. The pepsi/iTunes one is the only one that really does anything for me though... while I don't have a Pepsi or Coke preference I do have a Mac sooo... MusicMatch obviously doesn't do anything for me... and I don't drink beer and wouldn't use Real's thing on any platform.
It's common for companies to react to a dynamite promotion offered by a competitor by trying to emulate it. Rarely, however, do they achieve the success of the company who first thought up the promo.

Coke is merely trying to minimize loss of market share to Pepsi and placate shareholders by saying they actually did something. As for Heineken, maybe they think the success that Pepsi will have can be duplicated in the alcoholic beverage market.

Anyway, Coke certainly didn't enhace its image with consumers by loudly announcing their new music download site and then have it not work for 2 days.

Kenny Pollock
Feb 3, 2004, 09:39 AM
7-11 is offering Slurpees with this promotion, and Big Gulps (32oz cups).

Cool thing- if you don't like Pepsi, don't worry! Big Gulp you can pick from about 20 flavors of soda and iced tea, etc. and slurpees have about 4-6 flavors at 7-11 (they're icees)

pdrayton
Feb 3, 2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by EponymousCow
I suspect that if the McDonald's promotion is true, we won't hear an offical peep about it until after the Pepsi promo has expired. Apple doesn't want to upstage the Pepsi promotion right now and risk pissing off a potentially valuable promotional partner.

McDonald's has an exclusive beverage contract with Coke... so I'm sure your suspicion is right on target. Pepsi would be quite annoyed if their potential customers had the option to receive free iTunes downloads in a place where Pepsi is forbidden at the same time that a Pepsi-iTunes promo was underway!

j33pd0g
Feb 3, 2004, 09:47 AM
Nope. Nothing in Auburn, NY. Everything is well stocked here with Pepsi bottles with no promotoion at all. Isn't Feb the shortest month of all to have a contest? I'll be mad when the contest is over and our local lame-arse Pepsi people put the iTunes give away into rotation.

uv23
Feb 3, 2004, 09:49 AM
Disclaimer: I'm aware that the following comes off as self-righteous, and business is business, but it comes from the heart so save your flames.

Pepsi? McDonalds? Big Gulps? What's next, tobbaco companies? Apple is centering themselves directly in the heart of fat America. Very sad to see.

The earlier comment about convincing people to switch to pepsi from bottled water is especially disturbing.

Ugh...

gemio17
Feb 3, 2004, 09:49 AM
People who have iPods or that use iTMS don't drink piss-water Heineken, makes me gag just thinking about it. Give me a Bud bottle anyday of the week and twice on sunday over that crap- that said,

is this giveaway "Atkins Approved"??

(sorry I had to throw that in there-we have been getting bombarded with commercials in NYC for all this different fast food that has always been s!@t that's now "good for you" coz it's Atkins Approved-been bothering me a lot lately.)

or is it just a plot to make our teeth rot out and get real fat with big McDonalds zits (the kind you get after eating there-happened to me everytime until I read Fast Food Nation) so we can't leave the house and all we can manage to do is sit in front of the computer and drink pepsi while downloading music and slurping down Big Mac's special sauce??

*edit* whoops about the heineken comment-they have nothing to do with iTMS-still a crappy beer though, you get my point.

FlamDrag
Feb 3, 2004, 09:59 AM
This entire campaign can backfire on Apple if their customers die before they have a chance to buy an iPod.

Next look for free iTMS download codes in the middle of your next rock of cocaine.

I'm all for promotion and this will ultimately do a lot to make Apple the dominant music player for the long term, but yikes. I really wish that Apple would use their powers to promote healthier lifestyles. Clearly Apple is taking dead-aim at the teen crowd with this and I suspect that they will hit their mark.

However, I'm rather surprised that this alleged promotion isn't with YUM Brands.

Hoky
Feb 3, 2004, 10:14 AM
OT (couldn't resist):

Originally posted by gemio17
People who have iPods or that use iTMS don't drink piss-water Heineken, makes me gag just thinking about it. Give me a Bud bottle anyday of the week and twice on sunday over that crap

You actually drink Budweiser? Now that is piss, to be sure. In fact, all the beer made in America is piss, if you ask me. Canadians start drinking beer that would curl your socks when we turn 10 years old. In fact it's mandatory. I love living in a country that offers tax breaks for alcohol expenses.

Now excuse me while I enjoy my micro-brewed India Pale Ale from the nationally-reknowned brew pub down the street. Comes in a 650ml bottle. 8%, I think...

Is it bad that it is only 8:12am?

[/taunt]

;-)

Bandit
Feb 3, 2004, 10:15 AM
Someone told me that they were supposed to appear on Thursday of this week. Whether that is true or not I don't know but I'm sure they will be available by weekend shopping trip time.

TEG
1) In the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan Area, there are Zero 20oz, Zero 1L, Zero Big Gulps on this promotion. In Vancouver, Washington in fact, the 20oz are still on their damn "lucky 20" that they have been on since at least 1995. (1 free 20oz out of every 20.

2) Just so people know, SODA IS NOT BAD FOR YOU!!! As long as you still work out, eat well, and drink water soda, in any quanity, will not harm you at all.

I for one hope Apple does not market with an evil corporation like McD's, they ARE the M$ of fast food. They should team up with the YUM! brands (Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, A&W, KFC, and Long John Silvers), at least there they sell Pepsi, not Crap.

TEG

mainemike
Originally posted by Photorun
Yowsa! So many opportunities to win free music, so much stuff that's bad for ya!

I hear ya. Fully one third of Americans are obese. With these promos, we now have yet another reason to sit on our duffs in front of the computer while eating fries and drinking sodas.

:eek:

PS - tried to cash in my first Pepsi iTune last night and thought I could apply the free song towards a full album....can't.
No biggie, though I don't see why it should matter? A song is a song, eh?

stoid
Feb 3, 2004, 10:16 AM
For those who are adamantly objecting to Apple hitching up with companies that sell 'unhealthy' products:

Who would you suggest that Apple shacks up with to give away music? I'll probably be eating these words later, but I can't think of a single company that could give out a massive number of songs with the hip appeal and therefore success of Pepsi or McDonald's. I don't see a Bally's Total Fitness, Granola Bar, or HealthyChoice iTunes song giveaway been anything but a ridiculous and utter failure as a business partnership.

Apple isn't necessarily partnering with Pepsi and McDonald's because it supports their products, but rather because that just makes business sense.

Rex44
Feb 3, 2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by uv23
Disclaimer: I'm aware that the following comes off as self-righteous, and business is business, but it comes from the heart so save your flames.

Pepsi? McDonalds? Big Gulps? What's next, tobbaco companies? Apple is centering themselves directly in the heart of fat America. Very sad to see.

I too am aware of the realities of the Western world, and I hope these initiatives are hugely successful for Apple, but I feel very much the same way. And I can't help but think Jobs himself is internally conflicted on this as well.

Although I don't think there's ever been anything like it before, I sometimes wonder if a major campaign that would actually have been in the interest of public health could have been attempted, rather than the opposite. Say, an arrangement with the the citrus grower associations that would see grocery store cashiers give out iTunes contest tokens to people for every four grapefruits bought. Or a similar thing with whole grain loaves of bread. And so on and so forth. These too are mass market items (though I'm sure with nowhere near the same margins), and there could potentially be positive PR spinoff.

Ok, maybe I'm in dreamland, but if anyone could come up with a better way, I'd think it would be Apple.

uv23
Feb 3, 2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by TEG
2) Just so people know, SODA IS NOT BAD FOR YOU!!! As long as you still work out, eat well, and drink water soda, in any quanity, will not harm you at all.
100% incorrect. Pop is empty calories, and a whole lot of 'em. Over consumption of sugar is probably doing even more damage to the public than overconsumption of fatty fast food.

fixyourthinking
Feb 3, 2004, 10:25 AM

The earlier comment about convincing people to switch to pepsi from bottled water is especially disturbing.

Food doesn't make people fat - people make THEMSELVES fat just as ... guns don't kill people ... people kill people. I hate when people give inanimate objects powers of persuasion and abilities to destroy lives. They are inanimate. Period.

To add to the story - a local company (about 30 miles away) produces the little Monopoly stickers for the Monopoly game that McDonald's has each year (usually in the fall) - I was told the promotion this year was made to give away iTunes songs rather than Best buy gift certificates like last year. Maybe this is the promotion, but it could be separate.

(I do technical work for this company's design team)

polyesterlester
Feb 3, 2004, 10:26 AM
I found these cups at my local 7-Eleven. Bought two cups of Coca-Cola and double-cupped them (to keep my hands from getting cold, of course!). Two out of my four cups were winners :-)

Foxer
Feb 3, 2004, 10:28 AM
I bought a single bottle (98 cents) from one of the check-out coolers at my local Wal-Mart on Saturday. A winner! I made 1 cent in the transaction. Man, Pepsi is awful! Wish it were Coke products. Or that there were 7-11's in this state.

So, if you can get bottles in Racine, WI the day before the contest starts, you will surely be able to get them everywhere.

uv23
Feb 3, 2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by adzoox
Food doesn't make people fat - people make THEMSELVES fat just as ... guns don't kill people ... people kill people. I hate when people give inanimate objects powers of persuasion and abilities to destroy lives. They are inanimate. Period.

I agree to an extent - anyone who sues McDonalds for "making them fat" is an idiot. However, you underestimate the power of advertising, especially with today's youth.

Foxer
Feb 3, 2004, 10:30 AM

You forgot those diabolical SUV's that are plotting to kill us all.

WishIWasntHere
Feb 3, 2004, 10:35 AM
How about starting an ipoditunesrumors.com and keep the focus of macrumors.com on the *Macintosh*? It seems the majority of postings lately are all about iPods and iTunes related subjects. That's not why I visit this web site and it's information I don't care about.

But, then again, that's just me.

Hoky
Feb 3, 2004, 10:36 AM
I have been trying to put my finger on the pulse of this thread, and I think I detect an underlying sentiment. At the very least, I will try to express it best I can.

It seems to me that we - the hardcore Mac community - are very nervous about this current promotion in the way that we worry about our favourite, cutting edge band going "mainstream."

Another term for this is "selling out."

I get the feeling that the Macfanatics (of which I am one) posting to this forum are worried about the "selling out" of Apple. It's a slippery slope, right? And the fact that the products Apple is co-promoting are bad for you (the dogs know that soft drinks and McDonalds "food" is horrible...in fact it is not even food at all. It is edible, yes, but certainly not food) means that we cannot be as proud and smug about out beloved computers.

I say do not fear. The Mac is not going to be dumbed down to a Piece of Crap so that it can be force-fed to Joe America (do you want fries with that extra RAM?). The music thing is a wholly different entity within Apple. They are going to milk this puppy for all it is worth. I think it is marketing genius. The more profitable Apple becomes, the more money they can sink into R&D and the more cool technology we will see as a result.

I just hope that focusing on the iTMS/Pepsi promo is not interfering with the G5 speed bumps (where the hell are they!!!!!).

What do you guys/gals think? Are we worried about losing our well-deserved snobbery?

Because if we truly were snobs, we wouldn't mind if someone called us that.

I am a Mac snob and proud of it. I don't drink Pepsi. I drink tap water because it makes me stronger.

'Nuff said.

singletrack
Feb 3, 2004, 10:37 AM
In the recent Apple store redesigns did they widen the aisles?

That could be a good indication of future promotions. If they start narrowing them again, then we know the next promo is free iTunes songs with celery.

Fat people look terrible in turtlenecks though. It'll ruin the look of the store.

FlamDrag
Feb 3, 2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by stoid
For those who are adamantly objecting to Apple hitching up with companies that sell 'unhealthy' products:

Who would you suggest that Apple shacks up with to give away music? I'll probably be eating these words later, but I can't think of a single company that could give out a massive number of songs with the hip appeal and therefore success of Pepsi or McDonald's. I don't see a Bally's Total Fitness, Granola Bar, or HealthyChoice iTunes song giveaway been anything but a ridiculous and utter failure as a business partnership.

Apple isn't necessarily partnering with Pepsi and McDonald's because it supports their products, but rather because that just makes business sense.

This is going to sound more "soapboxy" than I really want, but all the same...

I am a consumer and that gives me every right - hell an obligation if you ask me - to object when companies behave in a manner with which I do not agree. Stockholders have even MORE right.

Granted, we're not talking about corporate corruption or accounting fraud etc. I furthermore agree with your statement about Granola Bar promotions probably being FAR less successful than a Pepsi or McDonalds promotion; And I'm not in denial; I realize it's all about money and profit.

At the same time, I'd like to see companies take a stand for the greater good and overall health of a nation - hell, even just the youth.

Finally, of course one can eat fast food and soda as part of a balanced diet - but the problem is that so few people, especially youth, do this. So many go to fast food joints and "supersize" an already calorie-laden meal into a range enough to last several days. On top of that, many eat these meals nearly every day - if not multiple times a day. It's a major problem in America; I doubt that you can find evidence to contradict that. In effect, Apple is endorsing these unhealthy habits, and I don't like it.

The eating habits of America need a change at the cultural level and this is simply a step in the wrong direction.

jholzner
Originally posted by WishIWasntHere
How about starting an ipoditunesrumors.com and keep the focus of macrumors.com on the *Macintosh*? It seems the majority of postings lately are all about iPods and iTunes related subjects. That's not why I visit this web site and it's information I don't care about.

I see your point but as of late the rumors have all been surrounding music. It's Apple's new #1 priority. If it was just limited to Macs the site would be dry.

arn

iPod/iTunes news & rumors don't limit or otherwise hinder the number of Macintosh news & rumors posted.

In other words, if iTunes/iPod items were no longer posted, you would see no increase in the number of Macintosh-related stories.

arn

pdrayton
Feb 3, 2004, 10:53 AM
The promotion is targeted at people who are drinking carbonated soft drinks not made by Pepsi. So, encouraging people to switch from one soft drink brand to another is not going to inflict any additional harm.

Besides, can drinking soft drinks be any less healthy than spending all day in front of a computer (which Steve Jobs bragged that GarageBand would do for teens in his MacWorld address)?

Steve Jobs seems to be making some very bold and strategic moves in helping grow business for Apple. Apple doesn't need a small promotion to reward current customers... it needs to reach out to new customers by enticing them with something that is relevant in their lives.

I gather any complaints about Apple promoting an unhealthy lifestyle are merely sour grapes that Apple isn't rewarding them for buying products they already buy.

Has anyone noticed that one doesn't have to buy a Pepsi to win a free download? One can send in a self-addressed stamped envelope for considerably less than the cost of a Pepsi. Nonetheless, dietary police will still complain.

fixyourthinking
Feb 3, 2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by polyesterlester
I found these cups at my local 7-Eleven. Bought two cups of Coca-Cola and double-cupped them (to keep my hands from getting cold, of course!). Two out of my four cups were winners :-)

I went and did this with coffee/mocha just a few minutes ago.

By the way - double cupping is legal.

Count Blah
Feb 3, 2004, 11:02 AM
Time for all the self righteous "I would never drink that sugar water" and "I would never eat that chemically altered faux meat at McDonalds" posts.

Face it people, this promotion is not for you, it's for the rest of the people - 99.9999% of the population.

Sorry, just had to vent. Since I see this 'holier than thou' crap all the time in all Mac forums.

thejoshu
Feb 3, 2004, 11:05 AM
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't check up on your cup-taking habits at 7-11, do they? You can just go there, grab a few cups and leave, without ever filling anything with a Slurpee... right?

cubist
Feb 3, 2004, 11:06 AM
People who have iPods or that use iTMS don't drink piss-water Heineken, makes me gag just thinking about it. Give me a Bud bottle anyday of the week and twice on sunday over that crap- that said, ...

Buttwiper? Phooey! Apple should team up with Pilsner Urquell or Bass!

mrsebastian
Feb 3, 2004, 11:08 AM
i respect that we all have opinions, but what is all the fuss about? this has nothing to do with anything, but demographics. who is apple targeting? teens and young adults. what are they most likely to buy for themselves without their parents involved? fast food and soda of course.

this about bringing apple into the mainstream and gaining market share. as a stock holder i couldn't be happier with apple, because they actually have an opportunity to start rivaling our mortal enemy m$.

AirUncleP
Feb 3, 2004, 11:08 AM
Trash digging, Music Lovers Unite!

impierced
Feb 3, 2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by arn
iPod/iTunes news & rumors don't limit or otherwise hinder the number of Macintosh news & rumors posted.

In other words, if iTunes/iPod items were no longer posted, you would see no increase in the number of Macintosh-related stories.

arn

I believe he was just expressing his frustration with the fact that the rumor mill has somewhat dried up for Mac news.

I have cash in hand for new hardware and have been disappointed as of late and look to Mac Rumors to keep me going with the real soon now...

the_dalex
Feb 3, 2004, 11:13 AM
When did Apple become responsible for what we eat or drink?

Last I checked, I'm the only person who decides what goes down my gullet. I'm sick of people signing away their responsibility and freedoms in order to blame companies for personal health issues. Grow a backbone, and make sure your children do the same. Do the world a favor.

mclosers
Feb 3, 2004, 11:14 AM
Do people still not realize that this is a Pepsi promotion NOT an Apple one. Get mad at pepsi for advertising for their products not Apple for doing nothing. Apple is not making america fat, Pepsi is. It's not like apple is giving them the songs for free or paying to advertise this promotion... Stop being hyper critical when you are being stupid at the same time.... Now go on a jog with your iPod mini (see apple promoting healthy behavior)

P.S. if you tip 20 OZ pepsi products at the right angle you can see if it's a winner or not before opening it..
P.P.S. don't do this in Blacksburg, VA.. I don't want you stealing all my free music..

P.P.P.S. Rumor has it that the G5s from the super computers are going back to Apple and VT is paying the difference in the price between the G5s and the Xserves.... More detail.. Apple's truck picked up the computers today/this weekend ( after it finnishes the operation it is currently working on) and the same truck after it drops the computers off at Apple's warehouse will return with Xserves.. No word on the speed of these yet. Thank me for the info later ;)

Mord
Feb 3, 2004, 11:14 AM
mc donalds sickens me my opinion of apple will plumit if this is true

AirUncleP
Feb 3, 2004, 11:17 AM

Cough..cough."bitter"..cough.

ebow
Feb 3, 2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by mrsebastian
i respect that we all have opinions, but what is all the fuss about? this has nothing to do with anything, but demographics. who is apple targeting? teens and young adults. what are they most likely to buy for themselves without their parents involved? fast food and soda of course.

this about bringing apple into the mainstream and gaining market share. as a stock holder i couldn't be happier with apple, because they actually have an opportunity to start rivaling our mortal enemy m$.

From Monty Python's Life of Brian:

Brian: "Brothers! Brothers! We should be struggling together!"
Francis: "We are!"
Brian: "We mustn't fight each other! Surely we should be united against the common enemy!"
Everyone: "The Judean People's Front?!"
Brian: "No, no! The Romans!"
Everyone: "Oh, yeah. Yeah."

Anyway, the 7-11 cup scheme sounds like a good plan, seeing as the grocery stores and Targets around here aren't carrying the PepsiTunes bottles yet.

So if I "steal" extra cups to win songs from a service that keeps me from wanting to steal music... where does that leave me? :D

Earendil
Feb 3, 2004, 11:20 AM
Parts of this Mac community can't see past their own mice.

The only people that (at this stage) that are being "enticed" to buy food and drink that they don't normally buy, is we the Mac community. That's right, for the 98% of the U.S. (50% of which have probably never heard of Apple or iTMS) this isn't going to do anything for them. Apple gets away with a much bigger deal than McD ever will.

For the average consumer they will go to McD as they always do, and upon purchasing what they always will, find that they won a free song at some website called "www.apple.com" and maybe they should visit it.

I would be interested to see what kind of % gains Pepsi and McD actaully get from a promotion like this. Sure, I for one may consider buying a pepsi now instead, but I'm more of a sprite/7-up guy and I'm hoping to find a promotion there.
But, I have never attempted to take advatage of any kind of promotion in the past, at least not by buying the product. The only reason I will with pepsi/iTMS is, well, of course, I'm a Mac user :D

Tyler
Earendil

[Edit: now it even makes sense!]
[2nd Edit: Improved readablitity for people that aren't me]]

reyesmac
Feb 3, 2004, 11:21 AM
I think Apple might be squandering the opportunity to get everyones attention with this by not advertising it. They could have told people about the 7-11 promo but they are not, they are probably leaving it to 7-11 to do so. Do they think they are so cool that they don't have to advertise? Do they think everyone saw and cared about their superbowl commercial? Put your name out there, you have hundreds of PC related companies that are your competitors advertising on a daily basis and hardly any Apple related commercials. Thats a shame.

Fukui
Feb 3, 2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Rex44
Say, an arrangement with the the citrus grower associations that would see grocery store cashiers give out iTunes contest tokens to people for every four grapefruits bought. Or a similar thing with whole grain loaves of bread. And so on and so forth
How many teens buy grapfruits and ganola breads on a daily basis? I think you can blame the school system in america for making children obese (coke, pepsi, pizza hut etc in chool cafeterias), I'm sure that if odwalla juice was as popular with younger generation, they would partner, but are they as "cool?" No.

ebow
Feb 3, 2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Hector

That's... uh... great, or too bad, or something.

I forget if you have the burger chain Wendy's in the UK, but that's a place I'd love to see an iTMS promo. Wait, maybe not, as it could far too easily influence my eating decisions.

the day apple holds a majority share is the day i buy pc

That's just downright nutty. Apple is a business, not a holy institution, moral compass, etc. Businesses, funny enough, try to generate business. :rolleyes:

bankshot
Feb 3, 2004, 11:26 AM
I stopped at 2 different 7-Elevens this morning looking for iTunes bottles or cups. Both stores had several prominent posters advertising the promotion, outside and inside. The soda machine had a big display about the iTunes cups. But not a single promotional bottle or cup in either store.

Is it just me, or is this bait and switch? I don't care if it takes them a week or two to get rid of current inventory and get the promotional items in the store. But don't put up the posters until you have the goods! As it is now, people could see the sign, go in looking for possible free tunes, not find any, and just buy something else instead. Classic bait and switch.

I'm not one to get all upset about these things normally but this one pissed me off. Sending nasty letters to 7-Eleven and Pepsi. Hoping to get free stuff out of it. :D

Chip NoVaMac
Feb 3, 2004, 11:35 AM

How about VISA and MasterCard?

Or a tie in with your mega grocery store? For every $20 you get one free song?

Or gas stations. With every fill-up you get one free song (8 gallons or more of course).

High-speed net access. Get two free songs with each bill.

The possibilities are endless....

choogheem
Feb 3, 2004, 11:39 AM

I've looked for the iTunes Pepsi bottles and nothing here in Minneapolis either. I've looked for them in Target, Super America, Holiday, Cub Foods and Rainbow Foods and nada. I need instant gratification and I don't want to have to wait any longer.

addisonx
Feb 3, 2004, 11:40 AM
From the Official iTunes Giveaway rules:

"No Purchase Necessary. To receive one free game piece and a copy of Official Rules, while supplies last, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope postmarked on or before 3/31/04 to: Pepsi iTunes Game Piece, P.O. Box 9205, Young America, MN 55558-9205. Residents of the state of VT may omit return postage. Limit one free game piece per request per stamped outer envelope. Pepsi-Cola Company (“Sponsor”) assumes no liability for lost, late, stolen, illegible, misdirected, mutilated, incomplete or postage-due mail or requests."

The price of 2 stamps for the chance to win!

Tulse
Feb 3, 2004, 11:41 AM
I completely understand those worried about the ethics of Apple cross-promoting with the likes of Pepsi and McDonalds -- not only is Apple cool, but they are generally good corporate citizens. That said, folks who are high and mighty about this issue might want to look into how polluting the semiconductor industry is, or how environmentally damaging landfilled computers are. (You might also note that, although Apple used to put its products in plain brown boxes, it has gone back to full-colour packaging.)

People shouldn't let the size of corporations discourage action against behaviour they oppose, but at the same time, folks should be fully informed, and pick your battles appropriately. In my view, McDs has (under public pressure) begun to open its menu to healthier choices, and that's a good thing.

Eniregnat
Feb 3, 2004, 11:45 AM
With a little ingenuity, very little, you could fill that with Coke from the slurrpie machine.

winmacguy
Feb 3, 2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Hoky
OT (couldn't resist):

You actually drink Budweiser? Now that is piss, to be sure. In fact, all the beer made in America is piss, if you ask me. Canadians start drinking beer that would curl your socks when we turn 10 years old. In fact it's mandatory. I love living in a country that offers tax breaks for alcohol expenses.

Now excuse me while I enjoy my micro-brewed India Pale Ale from the nationally-reknowned brew pub down the street. Comes in a 650ml bottle. 8%, I think...

[/taunt]

;-)

Right there with you on that one. I think any Micro brewed beer would have it over Bud. And dont for get the European beers plus a few Aussie and NZ beers as well! ( But preferably Euro such as German, Belgian, Austrian)

RichardCarletta
Feb 3, 2004, 11:48 AM
there are between 80 million and 100 million households in America. If just 40 % of those households bought some of the bottles , they would only need to buy an average number of 10 bottles . Actually that 40% is probably the same number for high school teenagers in America .

What makes some people think Granola bars are that much better . They may offer a couple grams of fiber but check out the fat grams. Also there is a product called DIET PEPSI .

The Pepsi / Itunes is a con anyway. I can buy 12oz cans for 18 cents each . 18 cents plus 18 cents plus 99 cents = $1 .35 .

If the McDonalds rumor is true , the summertime would be the perfect time to have it. McDonalds could always offer ITUNES giveaway prizes with their salads as well.

j33pd0g
Feb 3, 2004, 11:52 AM
I think if someone on the west coast was to write, turn this in for 1 Free song - good at any iTunes Music Store , on the back of a US dollar, and put it into circulation, that I would see that dollar befor I see a Pepsi bottle with the iTunes promo on it.

Maybe someone should do this. Maybe I'll do it. And then maybe I'll redeem my dollar for a free song.

IndyGopher
Feb 3, 2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Chip NoVaMac

Or gas stations. With every fill-up you get one free song (8 gallons or more of course).

What?! gasoline?? you mean you don't want all Apple customers to do the responsible thing and trade in their cars for bicycles? Are you trying to destroy the whole planet?

greenstork
Feb 3, 2004, 12:00 PM

As for food, I think you're just dead wrong. Poor people in this country have an extremely tough time eating healthy. Food stamps aren't offered for healthy food, only dense fatty food. In addition, when you're working multiple jobs, it becomes increasingly difficult to take the time to prepare a meal (the healthy alternative), and people turn to quick and easy fast food.

Take a moment to look down from atop your perch to understand that individuals are part of larger institutions, which bear a great influence on their decisions. We live in a society, like it or not, and the poor have fewer food choices in that society.

Sorry for the rant, but that needed to be said.

winmacguy
Feb 3, 2004, 12:01 PM
I agree to an extent - anyone who sues McDonalds for "making them fat" is an idiot. However, you underestimate the power of advertising, especially with today's youth.

Dont forget that just about every 2-3 year old kid in the developed world can say "McDonalds" and "Big Mac" as well as "I Want" so for Apple to be doing an iTunes promotion for a Billion songs with MDs is a pretty huge deal to get mum, dad, big brother/s, big sister/s into MDs and aware of the iTunes giveaway.

Omad0n
Feb 3, 2004, 12:02 PM
People who have iPods or that use iTMS don't drink piss-water Heineken, makes me gag just thinking about it. Give me a Bud bottle anyday of the week and twice on sunday over that crap

Both Heineken and Bud are cr*p azz beers. Try anything from New Belgium or Odells, and you'll see what I mean. Anyone here heard of fat tire?

Also the promotion ideas sound really great, can't wait till I run into a bottle or 2 of free caps. And if they do McDonald's too...

the future
Feb 3, 2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Tulse
You might also note that, although Apple used to put its products in plain brown boxes, it has gone back to full-colour packaging.

But that is even more environment-friendly – the boxes are so beautiful now that no-one will throw them away...

Sonofhaig
Feb 3, 2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by bankshot
I stopped at 2 different 7-Elevens this morning looking for iTunes bottles or cups. Both stores had several prominent posters advertising the promotion, outside and inside. The soda machine had a big display about the iTunes cups. But not a single promotional bottle or cup in either store.

Is it just me, or is this bait and switch? I don't care if it takes them a week or two to get rid of current inventory and get the promotional items in the store. But don't put up the posters until you have the goods! As it is now, people could see the sign, go in looking for possible free tunes, not find any, and just buy something else instead. Classic bait and switch.

I'm not one to get all upset about these things normally but this one pissed me off. Sending nasty letters to 7-Eleven and Pepsi. Hoping to get free stuff out of it. :D

Its only been 2 days since the promo started. Be patient! We'll be drowning in itunes caps and cups in a very short period. I found a 7-Eleven today with the cups here on the North Shore of Long Island. I lost :mad:

greenstork
Feb 3, 2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by FlamDrag
This is going to sound more "soapboxy" than I really want, but all the same...

I am a consumer and that gives me every right - hell an obligation if you ask me - to object when companies behave in a manner with which I do not agree. Stockholders have even MORE right.

Granted, we're not talking about corporate corruption or accounting fraud etc. I furthermore agree with your statement about Granola Bar promotions probably being FAR less successful than a Pepsi or McDonalds promotion; And I'm not in denial; I realize it's all about money and profit.

At the same time, I'd like to see companies take a stand for the greater good and overall health of a nation - hell, even just the youth.

Finally, of course one can eat fast food and soda as part of a balanced diet - but the problem is that so few people, especially youth, do this. So many go to fast food joints and "supersize" an already calorie-laden meal into a range enough to last several days. On top of that, many eat these meals nearly every day - if not multiple times a day. It's a major problem in America; I doubt that you can find evidence to contradict that. In effect, Apple is endorsing these unhealthy habits, and I don't like it.

The eating habits of America need a change at the cultural level and this is simply a step in the wrong direction.

Actions speak louder than words, and nobody likes a whiner. If you're unhappy with Apple, stop buying Macs, it's that simple. But judging from the fact that you're on a MacRumors message board, I bet that you're not willing to put your money where your mouth is.

As Hoky pointed out, there are two businesses at work here. The music business, iPod/iTMS/iTunes and the computer business. Not to worry though, as your computer business will still be elitist, snobby, and always extremely innovative.

winmacguy
Feb 3, 2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by impierced
I believe he was just expressing his frustration with the fact that the rumor mill has somewhat dried up for Mac news.

I have cash in hand for new hardware and have been disappointed as of late and look to Mac Rumors to keep me going with the real soon now...

New PowerMac G5s may shortly follow the 10.3.3 release. Several developers have reported to Rumors that their discussions with Apple about 10.3.3 build 7F24 turned up hints that 10.3.3 may include a considerable chunk of code specifically intended to add support for the forthcoming PMG5s. Apparently, once the update ships, new PowerMacs at up to Dual 2.6GHz may not be far behind.

FlamDrag
Feb 3, 2004, 12:11 PM
This isn't about being high-and-mighty - if some of you can't understand that, there's little I can say to help you. Just know that you are completely missing the point.

For the record, I occasionally enjoy the sugary, empty calories of soda or even a value meal. It's not that I think that these products have no right to exist, it's that I wish as a culture, Americans would choose to eat healthier.

*sigh*

There's nothing wrong with taking a different standpoint on the issue, or any issue, but the folks who seem to not understand why others are even remotely socially-conscious boggle my mind. Perish the thought that someone care about society.

WHY DISCUSS THIS AT ALL? Well, I don't see much more interesting to talk about these days. Rather we complain about the fact that Apple has yet to do anything special for their anniversary? How about if Apple doesn't release a 20Ghz G9 Powerbook TODAY they're dead?

**EDIT: GreenStork, you've got me all figured out. **

Wendy_Rebecca
Feb 3, 2004, 12:14 PM
Apple is centering themselves directly in the heart of fat America. Very sad to see.

The only thing sadder would be to see them center themselves directly in the heart of arrogant Canada. Land of...well...Beaver hunters, I guess. And backbacon. Yeah, they have great backbacon. Oh, and whiners. There's no shortage of whiners in Canada.

That's about it.

Chip NoVaMac
Feb 3, 2004, 12:16 PM
What?! gasoline?? you mean you don't want all Apple customers to do the responsible thing and trade in their cars for bicycles? Are you trying to destroy the whole planet?

For us in the DC area it is rather hard to imagine biking 30+ miles to work without killing ourselves.

FWIW I did bike to work when I lived 3 miles from my job. Now I work from home 2 to 3 days a week.

Wendy_Rebecca
Feb 3, 2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Fukui
I think you can blame the school system in america for making children obese

Yeah, God forbid you should blame the parents, or the little pebble-pushers themselves, who certainly have enough information shoved down their throats about what constitues a "healthy" diet (hint: according to the government, it's one loaded with carbs).

Oh, and to stay on topic: Macs rule, PC's drool. Neener neener neener. :D

WishIWasntHere
Feb 3, 2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by impierced

Exactly! ... kind of

I will add that, 'macrumors.com' implies "Macintosh rumors"; not "Apple Computer, Inc. rumors". I'm looking for information about the Macintosh (specifically a G5 PowerBook someday) and I have to now wade through more and more postings about iPods and iTunes. When a G5 PowerBook is ever introduced (more likely the 2nd generation of them) or perhaps a 2nd generation G5 Power Mac, then I will buy a Macintosh. Until then, I will use my old PC and my wife's iMac (which I selected and purchased for her) and keep browsing macrumors.com for Macintosh news (er.. rumors).

I do appreciate this web site!

trebblekicked
Feb 3, 2004, 12:27 PM
f pepsi and f mcdonalds. i'm holding out for the iTunes/Morton's Steak House promotion.

uv23
Feb 3, 2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Wendy_Rebecca
The only thing sadder would be to see them center themselves directly in the heart of arrogant Canada. Land of...well...Beaver hunters, I guess. And backbacon. Yeah, they have great backbacon. Oh, and whiners. There's no shortage of whiners in Canada.

That's about it.
Congratulations on that bout of vitriol. Perhaps if the iTunes music store or this promotion had anything to do with Canada, I would have said North America. But that's ok. You go ahead and latch onto anything you can to make yourself feel better.

bankshot
Feb 3, 2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Sonofhaig
Its only been 2 days since the promo started. Be patient! We'll be drowning in itunes caps and cups in a very short period. I found a 7-Eleven today with the cups here on the North Shore of Long Island. I lost :mad:

Right. Like I said, I don't mind if it takes a while to get promotional items to the stores. That's all fine and expected.

It's the fact that they put up the posters anyway that bugged me. The posters clearly imply that the products depicted are available NOW for purchase inside. It's false advertising at best, bait and switch at worst. If they'd had no posters and no iTunes stuff, then no problem! :cool:

Yeah I'm being nitpicky but it was really irritating to see the posters and get my hopes up and then have them dashed... :(

:rolleyes:

neps
Feb 3, 2004, 12:31 PM
if it makes all you folks in middle of no where america, I live in NYC and have been to tons of stores with no success in finding Pepsi with iTunes. Most places if they have a gamed pepsi is the caps for caps promotion. However, I was in New Jersey this past weekend, and every convience store and supermarket had them. Very odd.

Tulse
Feb 3, 2004, 12:32 PM
This isn't about being high-and-mighty - if some of you can't understand that, there's little I can say to help you. Just know that you are completely missing the point.

I don't think folks are. You're absolutely correct that it would be great if Americans ate healthier food, and that, generally speaking, soda and McDs are not such food.

There's nothing wrong with taking a different standpoint on the issue, or any issue, but the folks who seem to not understand why others are even remotely socially-conscious boggle my mind. Perish the thought that someone care about society.

Well, you've clearly missed my point, which is that if you want to be socially conscious, you should be aware of all the impacts your choices make. Buying a computer is not necessarily the most socially conscious thing to do, given the toxic nature of their manufacture (as well as being made totally outside of North America, thus removing jobs that could be had here).

I am not preaching apathy or inaction. And McDs is not my favourite corporation by any means. But let's be realistic here -- if you're buying computers, you've already got some bad karma to make up.

TEG
Feb 3, 2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Earendil
The only people that (at this stage) that are being "enticed" to buy food and drink that they don't normally buy, is US. That's right, for the 98% of the world (50% of which have prob never heard of Apple or iTMS) ...

DUDE!!

The US is roughly 20% of the world's population, and has both the 3rd largest world population, and the 3rd largest land area.

The Pepsi-iTunes promotion is for just the US due to the short sightness of record labels, including the RIAA's group.

And about the obese issue, there are several factors, many of which are the same reasons that the childern in this country are violent, and hyper... The don't get to be themselves. If children were allowed, or able, to go outside and play, there would be less obesity. It children were allowed to play "pretend" games like cops and robbers, they wouldn't go shoot some one when they grow up. It people recognized that little boys and girls require free time, outdoor activity, and are hyper because of institutional food, there would be no ADD/ADHD and no ritilin.
But most of all, if parents cared, made time to bond with their kids, understood the underlying facts of their kids, most of the major problems in sociey would be gone, and world would be a better place.
Remember; Violent Video Games don't warp children's minds, its when the parents don't care to tell kids the consequences of those actions that warp children's minds.

TEG

Now lets get back on topic!!!!!

ryanw
Feb 3, 2004, 12:38 PM
I went out last night trying to stock up on soda for the week and I went to three different nearby gas stations and none of them had any sign of the iTunes/Pepsi deal.. I was a bit disappointed.

The pepsi deal is only running for a few months. I would imagine it to be all dried up by the time it reaches my neck of the woods.

Mac Dummy
Feb 3, 2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
I bought a single bottle (98 cents) from one of the check-out coolers at my local Wal-Mart on Saturday. A winner! I made 1 cent in the transaction. Man, Pepsi is awful! Wish it were Coke products. Or that there were 7-11's in this state.

So, if you can get bottles in Racine, WI the day before the contest starts, you will surely be able to get them everywhere.

Well, you could pour out the Pepsi, since it tastes like dirt and fill the bottle with whatever you want. Hey look at this way at least your not wasting the bottle, and your still getting free music, problem solved.:)

AirUncleP
Feb 3, 2004, 12:41 PM
I showed my students the Pepsi ad and they had no idea what the jist of it was. " What's an iTunes?"

I told them to bring in their yellow caps and I'll show them.

wPod
Feb 3, 2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Chip NoVaMac

i do not mean to pick on you ChipNoVaMac. . . but to everyone suggesting 'better' give aways that they would like, you are NOT the target market for apple iTunes!!!! for one thing you already know what iTunes is, and probably use it yourself. But, even after the super bowl ad, i would say about 98% of non mac users i talk to have NO CLUE what iTunes even is!!!! So, how do you get these 98% of people to learn about your product, give it away with milk?! NO, milk purchasers wont care. but Pepsi purchasers, such as TEENS!!!! like music a lot. i mean come on, isnt it kids that, "eat up these albums like valiums?" and hey, thats good for apple to get their name out.

isnt that what apple needs to do? get the name of iTunes into the common vocabulary? that way they can bring in the money to develope more amazing technologies. otherwise apple will end up catering to people who want quad G5 proccesors so they can surf the net for bill gates jokes just a bit faster than their peecee counterparts. catering to a small audiance has already shown in apple's past to be detrimental.

if you have any other way to get kids to stop thinking "kazzaa" and replace it with "iTunes" please let apple know, otherwise I think apple is doing a great job with their pormotions and I can't wait to see apple sales go up because of more people visiting their web sit and falling in love with iTunes and learning about the streangth of OS X and who knows, maybe apple will get a few more switchers out of the deal!!!

gemio17
Feb 3, 2004, 12:51 PM
OT (couldn't resist):

[/taunt]

;-)

actually I prefer darker beers-but on cash strapped evenings I am forced to go with bud as my go-to, gotta be cold though...also nothin wrong with an ice cold PBR for $2-you can't beat that!! Makes me feel like an urban cowgirl!

Mac Dummy
Feb 3, 2004, 12:51 PM
I went to gas station this morning and didn't find any promotion for Pepsi/iTunes, but its only Tuesday so I'll wait and see. I just hope that the local Pepsi distrubutor (Fayetteville) decides to play along with this promotion. It would be sad if they didn't.

jrv3034
Feb 3, 2004, 12:52 PM
Haven't seen any iTunes Pepsi bottles here in NYC, yet. We'll see in the next few days...

I think the MacDonalds deal would be awesome. More exposure means more switchers.

Yay Apple!

gemio17
Feb 3, 2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by neps
if it makes all you folks in middle of no where america, I live in NYC and have been to tons of stores with no success in finding Pepsi with iTunes. Most places if they have a gamed pepsi is the caps for caps promotion. However, I was in New Jersey this past weekend, and every convience store and supermarket had them. Very odd.

Ditto neps- I looked all around the UWS today with no luck-my co-workers contend that it's because no one drinks pepsi so the stores haven't restocked yet.....they've got a point....

fixyourthinking
Feb 3, 2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by neps

You'll find that they are typically centered around bottlers right now. Athens GA has a huge PEPSI bottling plant - it's about 70 miles from here - they should be nationwide by the end of the weekend.

billyboy
Feb 3, 2004, 12:58 PM
iTunes Music Store is a very environment friendly concept. No cd disc, no case, no paper, no transport costs, no fat kids killed because they are unable to jump out the way of speeding delivery trucks. It is a win win business model.

iTunes - MacDonalds promo, that is a little more tricky to sex up, but it is actually promoting healthy lifestyle. Winning a tune will make all the fat kids walk upstairs to the bedroom to log on, one more time a week than normal.

Tulse
Feb 3, 2004, 12:59 PM
The US is roughly 20% of the world's population, and has both the 3rd largest world population, and the 3rd largest land area.

Actually, the US is less than 5% of the world's population.

SilentPanda
Feb 3, 2004, 01:01 PM
If you don't agree with the Pepsi/iTunes promotion (and I'm certain the McDonalds promotion will have the exact same rules) just do this:

No Purchase Necessary. To receive one free game piece and a copy of Official Rules, while supplies last, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope postmarked on or before 3/31/04 to: Pepsi iTunes Game Piece, P.O. Box 9205, Young America, MN 55558-9205. Residents of the state of VT may omit return postage.

If you're in Vermont it'll cost you $0.37 and two envelopes otherwise $0.74 and two envelopes. It's cheaper than the bottles from most anywhere in the US I know of and you don't have to buy that Pepsi that some of you seem to either hate because of taste or because of the damage it does to your body. Rinse and repeat for the McDonald's promotion.

anodized
Feb 3, 2004, 01:08 PM
They're doing some good advertising -- here's from my Yahoo! mail box.

applebum
Feb 3, 2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by mainemike
I hear ya. Fully one third of Americans are obese. With these promos, we now have yet another reason to sit on our duffs in front of the computer while eating fries and drinking sodas.

Nice point - I have a feeling we are getting fat faster by sitting on our butts in front of our Macs all day than by drinking 1 or 2 20oz Pepsi's. If Apple truly wanted to promote a healthier lifestyle, they shoud start making their machines more like MS's - that way we would go outside more and not be as interested in sitting in front of our computers. Careful what you ask for.

sketchy
Feb 3, 2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by cubist
Buttwiper? Phooey! Apple should team up with Pilsner Urquell or Bass!

Woodchuck

woodchuck woodchuck woodchuck..

cgc
Feb 3, 2004, 01:18 PM
Great, now I'm going to have to buy at least a year's supply of Pepsi. Hopefully Apple won't do this promo with Pizza Hut or Budweiser beer, then I'd be in a lot of trouble.

geerlingguy
Feb 3, 2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Photorun

Ahh, but what about Gatorade or other juices that aren't carbonated, sugar-filled, and otherwise bad for you.

geerlingguy
Feb 3, 2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by billyboy
iTunes Music Store is a very environment friendly concept. No cd disc, no case, no paper, no transport costs, no fat kids killed because they are unable to jump out the way of speeding delivery trucks. It is a win win business model.

iTunes - MacDonalds promo, that is a little more tricky to sex up, but it is actually promoting healthy lifestyle. Winning a tune will make all the fat kids walk upstairs to the bedroom to log on, one more time a week than normal.

Ha ha ha!

You're kidding... Right?

shen
Feb 3, 2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by TEG

man that is almost as wacked out as your sig........

ALoLA
Feb 3, 2004, 01:26 PM
Too bad Coke jumped the gun and went with MusicMatch instead of waiting to do their own promo with iTunes during the summer. A promo like this would certainly do better during the warmer months. During this time of year, perhaps a promo with Starbucks (or Coffee Bean :) ) would be more appropriate, given the cold weather. :) If that's when the McDonald's promo is going to happen, they'll make a killing. Gonna swing by 7-11 later today to see what's there. :)

iPC
Feb 3, 2004, 01:28 PM
a deal with pepsi and another with McD's still sounds unlikely to me. Coca~Cola does a lot of work with McD's and i am sure they would be a bit mad if a deal does appear between McD's and Apple.

Earendil
Feb 3, 2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Earendil
The only people that (at this stage) that are being "enticed" to buy food and drink that they don't normally buy, is US. That's right, for the 98% of the world (50% of which have prob never heard of Apple or iTMS) ...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TEG
DUDE!!

My bad, I didn't mean U.S. as in United States, I meant "US" as in "we the Macintosh community"
Also, My use of the term "world" is probably incorret because 2% market share only applies to the US market?

And about the obese issue, there are several factors, many of which are the same reasons that the childern in this country are violent, and hyper... The don't get to be themselves. If children were allowed, or able, to go outside and play, there would be less obesity. It children were allowed to play "pretend" games like cops and robbers, they wouldn't go shoot some one when they grow up. It people recognized that little boys and girls require free time, outdoor activity, and are hyper because of institutional food, there would be no ADD/ADHD and no ritilin.

Sorry if I'm missing possible sarcsm in your post. But I hope you aren't implying that ADD/ADHD is a mis-diagnoses for kids that don't get outside and run, and that there isn't such a thing as ADD/ADHD...
(Though I can take this up with you in private if you'd like to email me, and not in the forum as it's a bit off topic :) )

Tyler
Earendil

Mord
Feb 3, 2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by ebow
That's... uh... great, or too bad, or something.

I forget if you have the burger chain Wendy's in the UK, but that's a place I'd love to see an iTMS promo. Wait, maybe not, as it could far too easily influence my eating decisions.

That's just downright nutty. Apple is a business, not a holy institution, moral compass, etc. Businesses, funny enough, try to generate business. :rolleyes:

my sig. is to imply that I always support the underdog i'd love to see apple sucsessfull but I would hate to see it as a bloated monopoly.

the underdog always needs supporting and i'll always suppoort it

(pround owner of a betamax recorder, dreamcast and mac :)

i'd rather eat my right hand than go to a fastfood outlet

IndyGopher
Feb 3, 2004, 02:04 PM
i'd rather eat my right hand than go to a fastfood outlet
You do understand that this makes you sound so mentally unstable that nothing you say, ever, will again be taken seriously... right?

shen
Feb 3, 2004, 02:18 PM
You do understand that this makes you sound so mentally unstable that nothing you say, ever, will again be taken seriously... right?

lol! going to a fast food joint and getting mad cow though, that would make you a pillar of rational thought! :D

sorry, i know what you are saying, but really, niether of those is exactly a good strong healthy choice in meals, is it?

Mord
Feb 3, 2004, 02:25 PM

i'm a vegerterian that is milk protine intollorent even if i wasent i still wouldent go those places make me feel sick

right so in you book being healthy makes youy mentally unstable, right :rolleyes:

the eating of my right hand is a figure of speach if you hadent noticed by now many posters use it such as neatgeko

MCCFR
Feb 3, 2004, 02:26 PM
I'm sure someone must have mentioned this by now, but all this hand-wringing over the 'health' implications of the Pepsi promotion ignores one simple fact: the promotion also applies to Diet Pepsi which is - to all intents and purposes - calorie-free.

So - even if you argued that the cap split as even (100m Pepsi, 100m Diet, 100m Sierra Mist) - there's a slim chance that once the 200m 'full-fat' bottles were used maybe customers will resort to Diet, and make a discovery that it's not so bad and stick to it.

Presumably, if Pepsi had teamed up with Musicmatch, we'd all be sitting here complaining about how Apple's marketing isn't up to snuff.

Apple, iTunes, iPod, et al exist to make money and keep people in jobs - not to act as an arbiter of moral and dietary wisdom - if you're really that wound up about the health of children, vote for school board officials who'll go on the record that they'd resign rather than accept soft-drink/fast-food sponsorship i exchange for catering concessions. And maybe another issue you should consider is lobbying Congress for a ban on tobacco advertising/sponsorship.

Veldek
Feb 3, 2004, 02:27 PM
I will add that, 'macrumors.com' implies "Macintosh rumors"; not "Apple Computer, Inc. rumors".

Perhaps you should have a look at AppleRumors (http://www.applerumors.com) ;)

RichardCarletta
Feb 3, 2004, 02:34 PM
do this kind of giveaway for ipods or eMacs (G5 Powermacs would be nice but it would be better if there were more prize winners ) ? Send out 900 million 2 liter Pepsi bottles with 10,000 ipods prizes and 500 eMac prizes. that would be cool.

geerlingguy
Feb 3, 2004, 02:37 PM
Just returned from local 7-11...

Both the soda machines AND the slurpee machines had big signs on them for the Pepsi/iTunes ad... A BIG Apple logo (blue) was both on the display (in three different places on each pane) and on the cup; the Apple logo was the same size as the Pepsi Music logo.

btw: I didn't win (but there's always tomorrow :) ).

jettredmont
Feb 3, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by TEG

100% incorrect. Pop is empty calories, and a whole lot of 'em. Over consumption of sugar is probably doing even more damage to the public than overconsumption of fatty fast food.

Not to get into a nutrition debate on a Mac forum, but you have three issues here:

1) Calories. A 12-oz can of soda averages somewhere around 180 Calories, more or less (note for the pedantic: "Calories" is equivalent to 1000 "calories" ... the capital "C" changes you to the more familiar kilo-calories units instead of the strictly accurate "calories" units). One soda can per day will add 7% to a 2500-Calorie diet. One "44 Oz Big Gulp" (assuming 10% ice) will inflate your caloric intake by more like 24%. Calories In == Calories Out to maintain a specific level of health, more or less (there are variations which will allow short-term imbalances there, but not in the long term). Thus, if you are bringing in more calories, you have to exercise more to use up those calories, or build your muscle mass so that less physical movement requires more calories to accomplish. This is the place where "if you want to drink sodas day in and day out, just exercise more!" works.

2) General nutritional input. Maintaining a level of activity requires more than just pure energy (calories); your body needs nutrients to maintain a higher level of activity. You're not going to be getting these nutrients from sodas. So, if you are going to consume zero-nutrient sodas, you also need to pull in extra nutrients from other foods. This doesn't mean it's impossible to eat healthily while drinking sodas, as not EVERY food/beverage we consume needs to be a perfect nutritional balance (which goes right along with "You don't need to consume 100% of your daily vitamins and minerals in your breakfast cereal", but I digress); it does make it harder, though. The soda-drinker needs to eat more healthily than the water drinker to maintain the same level of physical fitness. The reverse is usually true.

3) There's a bunch of "bad for you" or "we really don't know if it's bad for you" crap in sodas. The sugars, of course, but also the acids and nutra-sweet (in diet sodas) and caffiene, etc. You're certainly not doing anything positive for your body by drinking sodas, and in many cases it's unknown if you are doing harm.

Now, that having been said, it is certainly possible to drink sodas "in moderation" and be very healthy. If you get enjoyment from sugar water, and can put forward the extra effort to counter it, there's really not a convincing argument against it.

Really, the only "perfect" diet would be a nutritionally balanced, homogenous slurry of nutrients and calories digested in regular intervals throughout the day. Anything that a real person might be able to stomache will of necessity be "less than ideal" and require some effort to maintain health.

And, to be honest, there's a heck of a lot more things that fall in the same category: alcoholic drinks, desserts, teas and coffees, etc. If you are pedantic and obsessive about how other people are drinking sodas, I should expect you to not indulge in any of the other "emtpy" or "near-empty" calorie delights of the world.

The trick is: if you want to be more healthy, which of the various "vices" you consume can you cut out? For many, cutting out or drastically cutting down on sodas is a quick and easy 15% Calorie reduction with little problem; for others, they'd rather slit their wrists than not have that Dr Pepper waiting for them.

skidoo
Feb 3, 2004, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry America, but we in Australia are getting fat like you Americans. Fast food and soda are replacing healthy alternatives as the main source of our kids diets. I love the system of how iTunes works, and will purchase songs of iTMS when it "finally" arrives in Australia, but 100,000,000 bottles of soda is not going to help with your youth obesity problem. Hopefully the fat ones will get their iPods on and carry-on like the dancers in the iPod ads after downloading their free song to burn off the 2.5 cups of sugar used to make the bottle of soda.

Sonofhaig
Feb 3, 2004, 02:59 PM
Enough with the nutrition factor crap...
Lets be honest about this. It's a promo for Pepsi and itunes, Not Wheat Germ and itunes. Haven't we gotten way off topic here? I mean please. How boring...

jettredmont
Feb 3, 2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by TEG
DUDE!!

Oddly enough, in the world I inhabit, the US is 250M out of >6B people (have we passed the 7B mark yet?), decidedly less than 20% of the population. That would be more like 4% or so.

Of course, you could be talking about "of the world's population of important people", in which case, of course you're right, 'cause those billions of people in China and Africa just can't count the same as us Americans, right?

skidoo
Feb 3, 2004, 03:05 PM
Yes, I agree mate, Americas obesity bores me silly. All of those unhealthy little children suckin' back soda & fried food. BORING.
If you dont want to read peoples opinions about issues, then I suggest you ***********

choogheem
Feb 3, 2004, 03:59 PM
Isn't Feb the shortest month of all to have a contest?
Well you do get an extra day since it is leap year.

Dear God enough about the stupid Atkins diet - if you're dumb enough to believe this (enough said - if you are offended, go to the atkins site and search for the maintenance section - hmm, you get to eat cake, breads, pasta, etc. -KEY WORDS: IN MODERATION - as in all things in life)

Apple and Coke/McDonalds - I love it. If people have a problem with obesity, get over it. Again, the market is there and so are the users and potential new users. If you do get fat from eating fast food, it isn't because you are brainwashed or there is a conspiracy. When one eats more calories than they burn off - they gain weight. I could eat 10 granola bars and still gain weight. Get a clue!

My beers of choice - I'd say Bass Ale, Guinness stout, New Castle Nut Brown Ale or a Summit India Pale Ale.

Have a nice day.:)

gekko513
Feb 3, 2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by TEG
DUDE!!

Where did you learn that?! The US is 4.46% of the world's population. Counter (http://www.mankato.msus.edu/emuseum/information/population/)

( I bet it's one of Bush's misinformation campaigns ;) )

jnasato
Feb 3, 2004, 04:09 PM
Interesting how Apple's aqua, blue apple is being used on the gas station mart cups, as opposed to the newer type aqua apples or the metal ones.

ThomasJefferson
Feb 3, 2004, 04:15 PM
What a grovelling state we have been reduced to, sifting through rumors of "Big Gulps" and debating the "homogenous slurry of nutrients", all while searching for any sign of a power mac/book update.

A hopeless state indeed.

doogle
Feb 3, 2004, 04:53 PM
I posted it before and it seems prudent to post it again!http://infotyte.adc.rmit.edu.au/stuff/McPod.jpg

coolfactor
Feb 3, 2004, 04:58 PM

I agree with your position, as well. However, I've recently began changing my own personal lifestyle habits, and I can enjoy pop and fatty foods as long as I balance it out with exercise and proper hygiene.

After realizing this, I can see it's not Apple's responsibility to make sure people don't get fat or lose their teeth. That's up to the individual, and more of us should be doing it. It's not hard, really.

And Apple is also helping people enjoy music *away* from the computer... they encourage people to get out and do something... go for a run, work out, but take along the iPod. :-)

billyboy
Feb 3, 2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by geerlingguy
Ha ha ha!

You're kidding... Right?

I was trying to be light hearted in a dour dry English humourless kind of way. From reading this thread it seems that those pretty young things who used to promote lipsmacking Pepsi when I was a kid grew up into 250lb toothless wobblers. But hopefully they will spend their last days of short-breathed obesity slumped in front of a Mac, their waistlines vibrating in time to some iTunes freebies.

Poally Dog
Feb 3, 2004, 05:26 PM
won with slurpee cup

charge for drink was $1.29

no big gulp cups w/game piece

i'm 1 4 1!

singletrack
Feb 3, 2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by choogheem

My beers of choice - I'd say Bass Ale, Guinness stout, New Castle Nut Brown Ale or a Summit India Pale Ale.

That's 'Newcastle', one word. And it's just 'Brown Ale'. There's no nuts in it. We commonly call it 'Dog' in the UK

a) because it's as rough as sin
b) as in 'just off out to walk the dog, pet'

All the beers you mention are kind of nasty mass produced piss as UK beers go. Sorry to shatter your illusions.

fluidinclusion
Feb 3, 2004, 06:09 PM
I'm a 217 pound wobbler, down from 223 lbs. As far as I can tell, you all need to get off your high horses (most of you) and let it go. I love McDonalds, but I only eat it once every 1-2 weeks. I drink soda every day. Dropped 5 pounds since switching to diet.

doogle
Feb 3, 2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by fluidinclusion
I'm a 217 pound wobbler, down from 223 lbs. As far as I can tell, you all need to get off your high horses (most of you) and let it go. I love McDonalds, but I only eat it once every 1-2 weeks. I drink soda every day. Dropped 5 pounds since switching to diet.

I wish you all the best with your weightloss.

rdowns
Feb 3, 2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by the_dalex
When did Apple become responsible for what we eat or drink?

Last I checked, I'm the only person who decides what goes down my gullet. I'm sick of people signing away their responsibility and freedoms in order to blame companies for personal health issues. Grow a backbone, and make sure your children do the same. Do the world a favor.

Amen! Took the words right out of my mouth. Lack of personal responsibility is one of the biggest problems we face as a nation. Everyone wants to blame or sue somebody. Grow up!

rdowns
Feb 3, 2004, 06:47 PM

Your opinion may plummet but my stock should do the opposite.

rdowns
Feb 3, 2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by greenstork
As for food, I think you're just dead wrong. Poor people in this country have an extremely tough time eating healthy. Food stamps aren't offered for healthy food, only dense fatty food. In addition, when you're working multiple jobs, it becomes increasingly difficult to take the time to prepare a meal (the healthy alternative), and people turn to quick and easy fast food.

Take a moment to look down from atop your perch to understand that individuals are part of larger institutions, which bear a great influence on their decisions. We live in a society, like it or not, and the poor have fewer food choices in that society.

Sorry for the rant, but that needed to be said.

Food stamps aren't offered for healthy foods? What the heck does that mean? You use food stamps to buy food items in a grocery store. Last I looked, there were aisles full of healthy choices.

I see many people eating healthy in my company. They can buy it in the diner in the building or bring it from home.

Key word is choice, people have it and must takek responsibility for them- good and bad.

rdowns
Feb 3, 2004, 06:59 PM
Exactly! ... kind of

I will add that, 'macrumors.com' implies "Macintosh rumors"; not "Apple Computer, Inc. rumors". I'm looking for information about the Macintosh (specifically a G5 PowerBook someday) and I have to now wade through more and more postings about iPods and iTunes. When a G5 PowerBook is ever introduced (more likely the 2nd generation of them) or perhaps a 2nd generation G5 Power Mac, then I will buy a Macintosh. Until then, I will use my old PC and my wife's iMac (which I selected and purchased for her) and keep browsing macrumors.com for Macintosh news (er.. rumors).

I do appreciate this web site!

Lighten up, Francis. This is Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About. You do not need to wade through more and more posts, simply select those whose descrition appeal to what you are looking for. What the hell did you expect to find in a thread with Pepsi in the title? Geesh.

As for your name, me too!

BurntCalc
Feb 3, 2004, 07:00 PM

Ugh...

Man, you guys seem to be moaning so much about how Apple has lost its "values" and whatnot... But to be honest, who cares? Apple is still dwindling, and they can stick firm to their supposed values, or start to join the rest of the world by opening up a little bit. Personally, I applaud this move by Apple, and hope that they see more benefit to marketing more for the masses (that's not to say I want to see them build crappy products).

Apple is a business first, and business is about making money, not about making you feel happy.

Wizzlewuzzle
Feb 3, 2004, 07:07 PM
Look, I think to say that its up to individuals to govern their consumption of soda and junk food is about as reckless as saying that Iraq can see to themselves on what type of weapons they should have stock-piled. Harsh, but true. Childeren do not have the capacity to know what is good or not.
Take a good read of the recent hit book "Fast Food Nation" and you will all see what filth Apple has attached itself too. It's quite un-ethical, and extremely sad to see someone like Jobs, with such great morals and expectations, jump on the wagon with the Fast Food Industry.
Shame Apple, Shame.
As for "I'm a 217 pound wobbler, down from 223 lbs. As far as I can tell, you all need to get off your high horses (most of you) and let it go. I love McDonalds, but I only eat it once every 1-2 weeks. I drink soda every day. Dropped 5 pounds since switching to diet., well good for you. But I'm not sure if "diet pepsi" is included in the iTunes promo.

krykert
Feb 3, 2004, 07:45 PM
OT (couldn't resist):
In fact, all the beer made in America is piss, if you ask me.

Hey, even Brooklyn Lager? That's all I'll drink. If there's nothing else I guess I'd have a Molson.

chameeeleon
Feb 3, 2004, 08:20 PM
Sorry if someone already posted this question, but I skimmed through the thread (it quickly warped into a discussion about health food, obesity and preference in beer, so I'll admit I skipped a bit), but I was wondering:

Are there only 100 million winning game pieces? Because Steve claimed Pepsi was manufacturing 300 mill. bottles, with 1 in 3 odds of winning, which would imply that there are 100 million winning bottles out there. However, with the added 7-11 pieces, and the pieces that are mailed out, wouldn't there end up being less bottles, or lower odds?

Not that big of a deal, but it got me confused. :confused:

latergator116
Feb 3, 2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
I bought a single bottle (98 cents) from one of the check-out coolers at my local Wal-Mart on Saturday. A winner! I made 1 cent in the transaction. Man, Pepsi is awful! Wish it were Coke products. Or that there were 7-11's in this state....

I hear ya. I prefer coke my self. Around here they haven't started the promotion yet... I already tried twice, but they were both "normal" pepsis'

tYNS
Feb 3, 2004, 09:30 PM
is it just me, but did anyone else notice the apple commerical on there website.. the fine print at the end of the commerical says:
in the pepsi ad... it states:
No Purchase Necessary. Void where prohibited. Visit iTunes.com for free game piece. ????

anyone able to find the free game piece at itunes.com??

latergator116
Feb 3, 2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by tYNS
is it just me, but did anyone else notice the apple commerical on there website.. the fine print at the end of the commerical says:
in the pepsi ad... it states:
No Purchase Necessary. Void where prohibited. Visit iTunes.com for free game piece. ????

anyone able to find the free game piece at itunes.com??

Yeah, I noticed that too. I found something on apples website about how to get a free game peice :

Q: How do I get a game piece without making a purchase?

A: To receive one free game piece without purchase, and a copy of the official rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope postmarked on or before March 31st, 2004, to: Pepsi iTunes Game Piece, P.O. Box 9205, Young America, MN 55558-9205. Limit one free game piece per stamped outer envelope. Residents of Vermont can omit return postage.

Here is the link on apples website.. http://www.apple.com/itunes/pepsi/faq.html

Nanda Devi
Feb 3, 2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Omad0n
Both Heineken and Bud are cr*p azz beers. Try anything from New Belgium or Odells, and you'll see what I mean. Anyone here heard of fat tire?

Also the promotion ideas sound really great, can't wait till I run into a bottle or 2 of free caps. And if they do McDonald's too...

Fat Tire is a FINE beer! Especially good because you can only get it out West, in the Mountain states... Sierra Nevada is my personal favorite, but Fat Tire is a close second...

Shoot, if Apple went with free tunes on caps of quality brew, I'd have a fat music collection before long. :)

Hes Nikke
Feb 3, 2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Fukui
How many teens buy grapfruits and ganola breads on a daily basis? I think you can blame the school system in america for making children obese (coke, pepsi, pizza hut etc in chool cafeterias), I'm sure that if odwalla juice was as popular with younger generation, they would partner, but are they as "cool?" No.

it might help if Odwalla didn't cost twice as much as the junk :rolleyes: :mad:

dekator
Feb 3, 2004, 10:23 PM
McDonalds? That might work in the US but in Europe that would be almost like hiding tokens in heaps of dog poo...

pcharles
Feb 3, 2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Gravesland

They are plentiful in the gas stations in Houghton Michigan. I got two winners in the first two bottles I purchased. I have one more to go because I thought that buying three would get me one!

Charmed drinker I guess!!!

autrefois
Feb 3, 2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
Yeah, I noticed that too. I found something on apples website about how to get a free game peice :

Q: How do I get a game piece without making a purchase?

A: To receive one free game piece without purchase, and a copy of the official rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope postmarked on or before March 31st, 2004, to: Pepsi iTunes Game Piece, P.O. Box 9205, Young America, MN 55558-9205. Limit one free game piece per stamped outer envelope. Residents of Vermont can omit return postage.

Here is the link on apples website.. http://www.apple.com/itunes/pepsi/faq.html

But as has been pointed out elsewhere, unless you just do it for fun, it's not worth it. It costs 37 cents to send the request, and 37 cents for the self-addressed stamped envelope you have to include.

So 74 cents (plus the cost of the envelopes) for only a 1-in-3 chance at a prize worth 99 cents.

Obviously, they're only doing this because by law they have to offer free game pieces, even if the top prize is only 99 cents. I guess lawmakers didn't see iTunes coming! :)

Wizzlewuzzle
Feb 4, 2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Count Blah
Time for all the self righteous "I would never drink that sugar water" and "I would never eat that chemically altered faux meat at McDonalds" posts.

Face it people, this promotion is not for you, it's for the rest of the people - 99.9999% of the population.

Sorry, just had to vent. Since I see this 'holier than thou' crap all the time in all Mac forums.

Your a rite idiot mate. A rite idiot.

squatch
Feb 4, 2004, 03:39 AM
I just ran by the local Walgreens here in Fort Worth and came across the iTunes bottles. There weren't many (guess people are loving this!) but I was a winner none the less in the ones I picked up! :)

JoeG4
Feb 4, 2004, 03:53 AM

You DO know pepsi owns mountain dew, sierra mist, AND a handful of other companies.

I think they also own part (or whole) the "yum!" franchising chains == KFC, pizza hut, taco bell.

gemio17
Feb 4, 2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by krykert
Hey, even Brooklyn Lager?

Amen my friend, amen. Brooklyn Lager, Pale Ale etc. is by far my favorite beer-Yum Yum, but it does get expensive for a pint depending on where you go-but that is my 6pk of choice. in 2nd - Sam Adams Light....

Although I originally posted about Bud, I was trying to accentuate the fact that Heineken sucks so bad that I consider Bud a phenomenonal thirst quencher compared to it-lighten up folks-I'll take Bud over Bass anyday. You can taste the preservatives and chemicals in Bass-it's nasty. (insert throwing up smilies here)

gemio17
Feb 4, 2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Nanda Devi
....... I'd have a fat music collection before long. :)

That's PHAT my friend
-or are you for real spelling it with a f, would your collection only include early Blues Traveler, later Aretha Franklin, Ruben Studdard, Notorious BIG, Missy Elliot....etc.....:D

pdrayton
Feb 4, 2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by dekator
McDonalds? That might work in the US but in Europe that would be almost like hiding tokens in heaps of dog poo...
Actually, a McDonald's promotion would do quite well in Europe. McDonald's are EVERYWHERE in Europe and PACKED with French-speaking people.

Citizen's of "Old Europe" are famous for proclaiming their loathing of American-made products... yet these very people are some of our best customers :-)

Anybody know what the French equivalent of a Mac computer is?

Mord
Feb 4, 2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by pdrayton

Anybody know what the French equivalent of a Mac computer is?

lodinuter de la mácintosh?

mc donalds is plain wrong

Nanda Devi
Feb 4, 2004, 09:35 PM
That's PHAT my friend
-or are you for real spelling it with a f, would your collection only include early Blues Traveler, later Aretha Franklin, Ruben Studdard, Notorious BIG, Missy Elliot....etc.....:D

Jeez, and I'm generally an excellent speller, how humiliating. Although there's been so much talk about obesity on this thread, maybe I just got confused...

Well, it was a lame post on my part anyway. How the hell did the subject ever turn to beer, anyway??

As for my two cents on the debate over whether Apple is irresponsible for associating itself with such social evils as fast food and soda pop... Personally, I think McDonalds was a pretty poor choice because they've come under a lot of heat lately and their popularity is in serious decline. (And rightfully so, it is god-awful stuff, pure trash, and anyone would be better off not eating it.)

As for everyone who has been arguing that Apple has no obligation to promote healthy vs. non-healthy products, you need to realize there is a thing called Corporate Responsibility. It is a very real concept and one that all corporations should practice, precisely to avoid the kind of backlash that is being expressed in this thread. If a company pays slave wages, mistreats employees, pollutes the environment, etc., people will find out and often stop buying the company's products.

Now, promoting fast food and soda may not qualify as unethical in some people's minds, but for those who have strong objections to those industries for whatever reason, there is a definite danger of Apple losing some of customers because of this thing.

(But not me... I love Apple too much and Microsoft sure doesn't strike me as a very ethical or responsible company, so I'm staying right where I am.)

Spizzo
Feb 5, 2004, 01:20 AM
This thread making anyone else hungry?

Fat Tire = Mmmmm....
Same for Red Stripe!!!

RichardCarletta
Feb 5, 2004, 09:20 AM
They are running 2 for 1 coupons for February and March . If you got a game piece with each sandwich , fries , drink , and salad , that would rock .

gemio17
Feb 5, 2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Nanda Devi
.....How the hell did the subject ever turn to beer, anyway??......

I'm afraid that was my fault. Someone mentioned something about Heineken doing a music promo and it was all downhill from there...

TEG
Feb 5, 2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by jettredmont
Oddly enough, in the world I inhabit, the US is 250M out of >6B people (have we passed the 7B mark yet?), decidedly less than 20% of the population. That would be more like 4% or so.

Of course, you could be talking about "of the world's population of important people", in which case, of course you're right, 'cause those billions of people in China and Africa just can't count the same as us Americans, right?

True, I was a little fast in my calculations. I made an error, and ended up with 18%. Actually its around 5%.

Thanks "jettredmont" that was the point I was trying to make, however I was at work, and ment to go back and make a more consice point, but you have beaten me to it.

And Wizzlewuzzle that was just a rude post. "idiot rite idiot" that I something I'd hear on a Britcom, but not from someone in theses forms.

TEG

ddbean
Feb 5, 2004, 04:38 PM
This just in...

VISION OF THE FUTURE ESSAY CONTEST

Don't miss your chance to win an iBook(R) from Pepsi!

February is Black History Month. To help celebrate, Pepsi is giving
you the chance to win an iBook loaded with educational software.

Hurry! Contest ends March 12, 2004!

http://www.pepsiworld.com/bhm/index.php

zagato27
Feb 7, 2004, 10:42 PM
I've already found one. Think it was either in WI or IL or IN. Can't remember. Guess I was one of the 2 of 3 unlucky ones though....."try again". Oh well, I do drink Pepsi (leaded and unleaded) so I'm sure to get something. Now to think of that "gotta get" song.

howtoplaydead
Feb 8, 2004, 09:22 AM

I'm a coke person.... but this has turned me. sure Pepsi tastes sort of like water with sugar and soap. All this goes to show is that you don't have to sell a better tasting product, you just have to sell a product that appeals to the consumer more: I'm the consumer, I love free stuff I love anything w/ an Apple logo, I used to d/l music left and right, now its legal and still free: sure its not the same ammount of music, but its high quality.

howtoplaydead
Feb 8, 2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by zagato27
I've already found one. Think it was either in WI or IL or IN. Can't remember. Guess I was one of the 2 of 3 unlucky ones though....."try again". Oh well, I do drink Pepsi (leaded and unleaded) so I'm sure to get something. Now to think of that "gotta get" song.

Leaded?
Leaded and unleaded?
Are you not on the subject of pump gasoline, it's been illegal to buy leaded gas for many years... far from it to drink.

Maybe you're talking about diet or caffeine-free Pepsi.
Or maybe there's some rolling joke that I've missed

zagato27
Feb 8, 2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by howtoplaydead
Leaded?
Leaded and unleaded?
Are you not on the subject of pump gasoline, it's been illegal to buy leaded gas for many years... far from it to drink.

Maybe you're talking about diet or caffeine-free Pepsi.
Or maybe there's some rolling joke that I've missed

Actually that would Pepsi (leaded) and Diet Pepsi (unleaded). :)

tiki13
Feb 8, 2004, 02:43 PM
Im going to give my bottle caps away.
http://www.tunerecycler.com/

Mafia00
Feb 8, 2004, 03:12 PM
mc donalds is plain wrong

agreed

TheOne
Feb 8, 2004, 03:55 PM
Why do I get the feeling that Maryville, Missouri is going to be getting stiffed on all free music goodness?

Check 7-11s. I found them in Missouri (St Louis) on the 32 oz Slurpee and Big Glup cups.

joco
Feb 8, 2004, 06:42 PM
I have been combing NYC, still no ITMS bottles

iBot
Feb 9, 2004, 05:40 PM
I'm in L.A. So far I haven't been able to find a single iTunes giveaway Pepsi bottle. Stores and vending machines are still stocking bottles with the "Lakers Caps" promotion.

Is there anyone else in Los Angeles having better luck finding the iTunes bottles?

jameskk
Feb 9, 2004, 06:30 PM
it's 2/9 and still no iTunes Pepsi at my local grocery.

Rower_CPU
Feb 9, 2004, 08:17 PM
I picked up a Big Gulp at 7/11...winner baby! :D

No way to cheat, though, since the code is under the rolled up rim of the cup and you have to cut the cup to get at it.

rcpmac
Mar 9, 2004, 07:00 PM
How you can't lose Pepsi / itunes giveaway. I guess the trick is simply to tip the bottle and look at the cap. If you see "again" put it down and look for another.

MacMerc.com: How to never lose Pepsi's iTunes giveaway
... James "MacManX" Huff Contributing Editor. Geek News: How to never lose Pepsi's
iTunes giveaway Posted on Tuesday, February 17 @ 21:03:47 PST by jonknee. ...
http://www.macmerc.com/news/archives/1270