Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
So i got one of the new macbook a few days ago and i love it except for one thing...the display. Its just not working for me, the viewing angle is bad and i find myself constantly moving my head to get that perfect angle. Also the new glass is very reflective even at the brightest setting and its distracting

I also happen to have an Air and the screen on the air is much better, i feel VERY comfortable using the Air's screen with no issues. Its not as refelective and the viewing angles arent bad at all.

Now i personally am not really a fan of the Air because its underpowered and overpriced. However, i cant get a macbook pro because its too big and heavy for me as a student and the macbook screen just isnt cutting it...i can 'live' with it but i'd rather not...my eyesight is going bad as it is.

So now i'm thinking of retuning my macbook and keeping the Air...then pick up an iMac later on to supplement. The Air works fine, no shutdowns...cuts through H.264 & Flash videos very well although the fan becomes annoying. Its decently fast (1.84/64SSD) and with a stripped down reinstall (if i can get it to work...remote install is kinda iffy) i'll be able to fit my 'core' files into the Air with little stress/sacrifice and keep the rest locked away in an external.

Sigh...why didn't Apple just put a freaking decent display in the MacBooks FFS!!. Honestly this company is starting to stress me out

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
So i got one of the new macbook a few days ago and i love it except for one thing...the display. Its just not working for me, the viewing angle is bad and i find myself constantly moving my head to get that perfect angle. Also the new glass is very reflective even at the brightest setting and its distracting

I also happen to have an Air and the screen on the air is much better, i feel VERY comfortable using the Air's screen with no issues. Its not as refelective and the viewing angles arent bad at all.

Now i personally am not really a fan of the Air because its underpowered and overpriced. However, i cant get a macbook pro because its too big and heavy for me as a student and the macbook screen just isnt cutting it...i can 'live' with it but i'd rather not...my eyesight is going bad as it is.

So now i'm thinking of retuning my macbook and keeping the Air...then pick up an iMac later on to supplement. The Air works fine, no shutdowns...cuts through H.264 & Flash videos very well although the fan becomes annoying. Its decently fast (1.84/64SSD) and with a stripped down reinstall (if i can get it to work...remote install is kinda iffy) i'll be able to fit my 'core' files into the Air with little stress/sacrifice and keep the rest locked away in an external.

Sigh...why didn't Apple just put a freaking decent display in the MacBooks FFS!!. Honestly this company is starting to stress me out

I think you should keep the awesome machine and hopefully get used to it.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

How is it awesome if they can't even look at the display without getting annoyed? If the Air can do what you need in a portable, take it back and buy an iMac then or later on down the road.

bluesTank

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
Like i said, quit comparing the macbook to other computers. It is a step up from the macbook isn't it? If you don't like it then sure, return it, thats your decision. But saying it is unusable is ridiculous.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I went from a 14.1" HP to a 13.3" GlassBook. I have not minded the screen at all, in fact I find it perfect. Also, I too have eye sight problems and find the MacBook's screen much, much, much better than my HP's.

I also need something portable and 13.3" is perfect. Stop complaining and enjoy.

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
It's unfortunate that some people find the new screen completely unusable. I like the new displays and could never go back to the washed out matte screens now but I wish apple would consider a revision to somehow incorporate matte screens for people who really want them.
You could always give an anti-glare film a shot https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/585483/

hazoomeh

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I don't understand why some people just come on here to vent. Obviously this isn't a problem that anyone can fix for you. It's your perception of your screen's quality that is the problem. I'm not sure why you're posting unless you want us to convince you that it's a good screen...

bluesTank

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
I never in my life would have noticed that I had a poor screen on here until I read it on here.

Same with firewire...I would never have known I DIDN'T have it.

ALSO I would NEVER have noticed the slanted function keys if I hadn't read it here

I guess ignorance is bliss

bektravels

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Australia
I'm not stoked with the screen but what are the other options? For me, none really - so I'm gonna stick with it and I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006

Hmm...i want to...im just not sure i'd get used to it

Like i said, quit comparing the macbook to other computers. It is a step up from the macbook isn't it? If you don't like it then sure, return it, thats your decision. But saying it is unusable is ridiculous.

Im only comparing it to its sibling which i think is fair. After all, they're the same size and come from the same company its not like i'm comparing it to a vaio or something

I went from a 14.1" HP to a 13.3" GlassBook. I have not minded the screen at all, in fact I find it perfect. Also, I too have eye sight problems and find the MacBook's screen much, much, much better than my HP's.

I also need something portable and 13.3" is perfect. Stop complaining and enjoy.

The difference here is the results of our comparison. The MacBook has always used inferior panels relative to other laptops in Apple's product line (which i am used to), it may however still be better than what other manufacturers are offering (HP which you are used to)

just buy an antiglare screen protector and that should make you happy. 15-30 dollar investment.

Link?

I don't understand why some people just come on here to vent. Obviously this isn't a problem that anyone can fix for you. It's your perception of your screen's quality that is the problem. I'm not sure why you're posting unless you want us to convince you that it's a good screen...

Forgive me for wanting to here other people's thoughts in general...its only just a forum afterall :rolleyes:

I never in my life would have noticed that I had a poor screen on here until I read it on here.

Same with firewire...I would never have known I DIDN'T have it.

ALSO I would NEVER have noticed the slanted function keys if I hadn't read it here

I guess ignorance is bliss

I noticed the screen but the rest i didnt notice and even after noticing them i dont care. I LOVE the laptop in terms of everything else...its just that screen that's bugging me

I'm not stoked with the screen but what are the other options? For me, none really - so I'm gonna stick with it and I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it.

I know right, the options are limited, which is what's annoying me the most. The MBP is too big/expensive and the Air isn't the most powerful computer around. Short of that, you only have desktops left. Wish Apple wouldnt cheap out on the macbook displays...its their most popular product after all

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
just buy an antiglare screen protector and that should make you happy. 15-30 dollar investment.

antiglare screen won't help poor viewing angles and overall screen quality.

Reflections are not what the OP is complaining about anyway especially since Air has glossy screen too but OP likes it.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I totally understand not being able to work with the glossy screens. They give me headaches something fierce. As some have mentioned there are places that make anti glare film. I think I remembered reading in another thread that a forum member contacted the manufacturer and was told they would have anti glare film ready for the new MBs in 2-3 weeks. If the screen is the only thing that bugs you and you can wait that long I would maybe hold on. Sorry I don't know the manufacturers name.
Personally when making a big purchase I need to be 100% excited about it to justify it. Things like the glossy screens have been deal breakers for me.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I'd sell or return the Macbook and the Air and buy the new Air.

Apparently it runs much cooler, fans don't spin up as much since the CPU puts out less heat. It also has the new 9400M graphics with H.264 hardware decoding enabled meaning even 1080p will play fine. Oh and the cache is double the size making the system faster despite the similar clock speed.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I totally understand not being able to work with the glossy screens. They give me headaches something fierce. As some have mentioned there are places that make anti glare film. I think I remembered reading in another thread that a forum member contacted the manufacturer and was told they would have anti glare film ready for the new MBs in 2-3 weeks. If the screen is the only thing that bugs you and you can wait that long I would maybe hold on. Sorry I don't know the manufacturers name.
Personally when making a big purchase I need to be 100% excited about it to justify it. Things like the glossy screens have been deal breakers for me.

antiglare screen won't help poor viewing angles and overall screen quality.

Reflections are not what the OP is complaining about anyway especially since Air has glossy screen too but OP likes it.

I'd sell or return the Macbook and the Air and buy the new Air.

Apparently it runs much cooler, fans don't spin up as much since the CPU puts out less heat. It also has the new 9400M graphics with H.264 hardware decoding enabled meaning even 1080p will play fine. Oh and the cache is double the size making the system faster despite the similar clock speed.

No, not double.. 4MB in old and 6 MB in new. Just a correction ;)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Yeah i'm not worried about glossy screens...in fact i kind of like them i'm just not a fan of the washed out look/poor viewing angles of the macbook added to the mirror effect of the glass. Its just too much going on for my eyes

I cant afford the new Air...well i can but i just don't want to spend that much. In fact the only reason i got this one was because it was almost 50% off the original price...a whopping £720 off the original...bringing the price down to what i would reasonably pay for.

The new Air's would be at the same original price points as last gen which is too expensive/hard to justify for me

I'll decide today if i keep it or not after i reinstall and transfer my main files over. I'll use it for one more day under normal conditions. If (1) i have a decent chunk of space left after transfer and (2) the Air doesnt choke under my normal usage conditions then i might return the macbook but if the air slacks then...

SkylerXR

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
If you already have an Air and are satisfied with it, there is no reason why you should be keeping the MacBook.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
A college student can't decide whether to stick with a MacBook Air or a brand new MacBook, and can't carry a MacBook Pro because they're so heavy, is starting to feel stressed out. OH THE HUMANITY.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
The MacBook screens have frankly always sucked as compared to other Macs... But I do think that LED backlighting does improve things a ton!

And as far as glossy is concerned...... [in general, not directed to any post here]

Lawson from ArsTechnica:

I suspect that the false comparison with the paper stock argument feeds another persistent myth, which is that glossy screens are not for professionals. Let's just leave aside the the fact that an image on a monitor will never entirely match an image printed on paper no matter what kind of screen you have, for a variety of reasons not least amongst them the differences between subtractive and additive color cited above. The simple fact of the matter is that a matte screen, far from a neutral view, is actually distorted when compared to a glossy screen. The matte coating that diffuses glare and reflections also works on the image on the screen, reducing contrast and saturation.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007

This is exactly the problem I have ... I hate the screen.

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace

http://www.buyviewguard.com/catalog/index.php?id=133-1610
http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/ef.php?category=pb
powersupport should be making one for the new macbooks soon...i'm a fan of powersupport's anti-glare film

as for the colors not living up to your standards have you tried downloading and testing out some of the color calibration profiles floating around the forums?
I tried one out and it makes a difference...it wont fix viewing angles but for me personally I dont think the viewing angles are too bad...it's not pro level angles but I'm not going to be looking at my laptop off angle much

idavid84

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Honestly I dont find my new MacBook screen any glossier than my old MB. I really dont see what everyone is making a fuss about. I find the view angle to be fine but then again Im always using it indoors.
If your not happy with it then return it, when making a major purchase you should be completely happy with your decision. I just think that this is something you could have easily noticed in the store before purchasing, thats kind of the reason they have them on display.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
A college student can't decide whether to stick with a MacBook Air or a brand new MacBook, and can't carry a MacBook Pro because they're so heavy, is starting to feel stressed out. OH THE HUMANITY.

Yes college student and 5.5 pounds does start adding up if you have to carry several textsbooks and stationary as well. Is it too much to ask a company to put a decent display/firewire on an $1800 laptop.

Did you have a point because i seem to have missed it in all that sarcasm? :rolleyes:

Anyway...I decided to keep the MacBook and just get an external display to go with it or an iMac later on. Turns out the Air is defective. It works as long as you don't try to reinstall the OS or use remote disk...if you do, hello constant kernel panics. Genius said i'd have to send it in for repairs and frankly i can't be bothered so i'm returning it (the Air)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.