Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattnxtc

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Will the air with the updated processor (1.8ish I think) be able to handle VM Fushion and booting up into XP?

I will be booting into XP to play online poker and will have a data mining program running that can be somewhat intensive at times when it is collecting data.

pedestrian2019

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
The MBP is too big/expensive and the Air isn't the most powerful computer around. Short of that, you only have desktops left. Wish Apple wouldnt cheap out on the macbook displays...its their most popular product after all

I understand your frustration but there is a reason for the popularity of the MacBook and that reason is the price. It isn't meant to be a professional class laptop. You can't reasonably expect it to have the same quality display as the more expensive Air or Pro. It's simple economics chap.

MontrealMonger

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
I understand your frustration but there is a reason for the popularity of the MacBook and that reason is the price. It isn't meant to be a professional class laptop. You can't reasonably expect it to have the same quality display as the more expensive Air or Pro. It's simple economics chap.

The 2.4 costs over $1700 in Canada. For that price, Apple has no excuse to offer weaker screens than other manufacturers offer at the same pricepoint.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
I still use an old program that does a great job of monitor calibration as a software only capability. Of course a hardware/software solution is superior but if you don't need absolute perfect color this is good enough.

SuperCal

It is far superior to Apple's Built in Calibration. (Even expert). Now my MB monitor has much stronger contrast and deep colors. It is going to vary by your eye and your monitor so make your own calibration and see for yourself.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada

that argument was fair before. But the new increased prices are really blurring the line. The macbook's price has increased to the point where it doesn't really seem very consumerish anymore.

pedestrian2019

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
that argument was fair before. But the new increased prices are really blurring the line. The macbook's price has increased to the point where it doesn't really seem very consumerish anymore.

This is true and it remains to be seen whether it will make a dent on sales for the current MacBook demographic.

Edit: Guessing that the increases are due to the new aluminium construction process.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
I still use an old program that does a great job of monitor calibration as a software only capability. Of course a hardware/software solution is superior but if you don't need absolute perfect color this is good enough.

SuperCal

It is far superior to Apple's Built in Calibration. (Even expert). Now my MB monitor has much stronger contrast and deep colors. It is going to vary by your eye and your monitor so make your own calibration and see for yourself.

I'll have to try this when i get home today. I used apple's calibration, but the dark colors were really off. my dock ended up being a **** brown color

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.