PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini Still Alive? New Model Coming?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Oct 24, 2008, 01:31 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/24/mac-mini-still-alive-new-model-coming/)

MacMiniColo.net (http://www.macminicolo.net/), an internet hosting company that has a vested interest in Apple's Mac mini computers, has published (http://www.macminicolo.net/state2008.html) a "State of the Mac mini" report in which they claim that they have heard that a new Mac mini is on the way. Specifically, they believe (with some certainty) that it will gain the following specs:

- A new Mini DisplayPort
- Increase in max RAM to 4GB
- SATA Optical drive (instead of ATA/IDE)

MacMiniColo.net certainly has a financial interest in the continuation of the Mac mini and, as a result, may be in the position to have heard about its fate. The hosting company also dispels the notion that the Mac mini is selling poorly and believes that the mini is still a very popular model both for businesses and consumers.

A recent report (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/21/mac-mini-to-be-discontinued/) has raised the question about the fate of the low end Apple Mac, with claims that the model has already stopped shipping to retailers. This report, however, was in contrast to recent claims (March 2008) (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/21/mac-mini-not-dead-yet/) that at least one more model is on the way. According to our Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_mini), the Mac mini has not been updated for 444 days.

Article Link: Mac Mini Still Alive? New Model Coming? (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/24/mac-mini-still-alive-new-model-coming/)

Eidorian
Oct 24, 2008, 01:32 AM
You are my last hope Mac mini for a new Mac.

This image (http://images.appleinsider.com/macminifarm-081023.jpg) is awesome.

jackjason
Oct 24, 2008, 01:34 AM
xmas wish:

new mac micro.
wireless keyboard (bluetooth tiny one) +wireless mouse
new display with isight..

on my ...
hahaha

latchthekid
Oct 24, 2008, 01:36 AM
hahah this is so funny! I just read about this article on appleinsider and posted about it in the other thread about the mini being dead. I'm so happy if this is all true. The mini has so many great uses for so many people. Its gonna rock. I want one. :D

DARKJ3DI
Oct 24, 2008, 01:41 AM
about time. its been over a year

Courtaj
Oct 24, 2008, 01:47 AM
The "rumour" that Apple has ceased supplying retailers with the current model was pretty ridiculous. I've seen them everywhere and bought one direct from Apple on Tuesday.

This new rumour says nothing about the status of (dare I say it) firewire on a refreshed Mini. Or a processor upgrade for that matter. You'd think if they knew something, they'd at least know that . . .

EDIT. Oh, alright, the Macminicolo report assumes that firewire stays, assuming the Mini doesn't get a unibody casing. Fair enough.

boer
I find to hard to believe Apple would abandon the segment Mac mini is in. As to why hasn't Apple updated the mini for over a year, here's the most simple explanation (Occam's razor): The current model has sold well enough and being older tech it provides nice enough profit margins. As simple as that.

wizard
I have no doubt that a new machine is coming the question is this: will the box be the same? Frankly the current mini form factor passes up a lot of opportunity for innovation. An even marginally larger Mini offers up hope of a duality like the MB and MBP. That is an integrated graphics model and a more featur full model with better GPU resources and other goodies. Or Apple could ditch the optical drive and go even smaller

Given all of that I would be surprised if there is tie in to the new monitor Apple has.

With respect to the two disk rumor that actually would be real nice feature to have. But hear is my thinking Apple uses one conventional disk interface an adds a Mini PCI Express slot that can be usdled for I/O or to put in place a SSD with a mPCI-E interface. MPCI-E disk drive are of growing interest in the embedded world. Apple could have good success with this move as there is really no need for a chassis for SSD.

Dave

polar-blair
Oct 24, 2008, 01:48 AM

So thats where all the mac minis went. Wow there are loads!!!

Im never had a mini, but I think it would be stupid o discontinue it, either revise it or replace it with a faster and smaller machine, and cheaper too. That even more people will want to switch from Windows.

SFStateStudent
Oct 24, 2008, 01:49 AM
I'd pick one up if they had all those extras ^^^ especially the mini DisplayPort...:cool:

ltldrummerboy
Oct 24, 2008, 01:49 AM
I'd like to see one with black glass, however impractical.

I think the Mini is the ideal home-theatre system. Much better than the tv

corbywan
Oct 24, 2008, 01:51 AM
If they have stopped shipping that could just mean they are getting rid of the current stock in anticipation of a refresh.

BillyBobBongo
Oct 24, 2008, 01:57 AM
A recent report (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/21/mac-mini-to-be-discontinued/) by people who have no idea what they're talking about..... :D

I knew that we'd be seeing a new one of these eventually. This has to be one of the best way to catch those 'switchers'. There's no way Apple would drop this.

I'm expecting a new case design and of course some hardware upgrades. Let's just hope it has Firewire! ;)

joost538
Oct 24, 2008, 02:00 AM
I'm in the market for a mini but with the current specs there is no way I would buy one. I am fine with NVidia integrated graphics though and I don't really care about the form factor (i.e. standard size HD would be fine with me).

Just let me buy me a Mac for less than 500 bucks with a 2+ GHz cpu, 250 GB HD and 2 GB ram. The comparison with Dell and other is getting kinda ridiculous for what the mini currently is.

Eidorian
Oct 24, 2008, 02:02 AM
I'm in the market for a mini but with the current specs there is no way I would buy one. I am fine with NVidia integrated graphics though and I don't really care about the form factor (i.e. standard size HD would be fine with me).

Just let me buy me a Mac for less than 500 bucks with a 2+ GHz cpu, 250 GB HD and 2 GB ram. The comparison with Dell and other is getting kinda ridiculous for what the mini currently is.Q6600 desktop for ~US$450 from Dell...

Come on Apple.

salvatorereda
Oct 24, 2008, 02:04 AM
Its still to expensive bring the price down
maybe more people will purchase it

At its current price i would rather purchase a mac book.

tonytiger13
Oct 24, 2008, 02:08 AM

I was gonna come on here and say the Mac Mini doesn't do HD, but it's able to support 1920 x 1080 widescreen, so...nevermind.

I was then gonna see if it can do digital audio, and it can...

Um...I got one, it can't do Wireless-N! No big deal really though unless you stream a lot. And the new Mac Mini will definitely have N.

Then the only other thing is it probably gets louder, but stays cooler. And you have to use two cables instead of one HDMI to handle Video/Audio, but who cares.

Damn, anyone wanna buy my TV? I wanna get a new Mini when it comes.

OriginalMacRat
Oct 24, 2008, 02:08 AM
in the past week I have found it interesting how the posters on MacRumors are a bit more level headed than what you see on AppleInsider.

st0n3
Oct 24, 2008, 02:09 AM
i worked at one of the busiest apple retail stores in the midwest for 3 years... and I can honestly say, I think I've only sold about 5 mac minis out of the several thousand computers I have sold since working there.

In other words, I strongly disagree with the statement that they are still popular and sell quite well. Especially compared to anything else in the store. I've sold more AppleCares for iPod Shuffles than I have sold Mac Mini units. And that's saying something!

katewes
Oct 24, 2008, 02:16 AM
It's the matte screen issue again.

Since the current iMac and MBP have lost the matte screen option, if ever my matte, white iMac dies, I'd be forced to get a Mac Mini with matte external screen.

No way would I buy a gloss screen, and yes, I have used one at my friend's house. The glare and reflections from outside, particularly on a sunny day, are hiddeous. You don't see the glare when the screen is positioned facing away from the window, but when the screen faces the window, it is totally un-usable, if you need to work for hours and hours -- not just fun stuff like movies and photos.

People who say, "Why not just shift the screen" -- believe me, there are some situations where we simply cannot shift the screen away because of the layout of the room etc.

For instance, in most skyscraper offices that have a window, it's common for the desk to be positioned such that the person's back faces the window, i.e. the screen faces the window. In such situations, it's not always possible to shift the furniture around.

Please, bring back the matte iMac and matte MBP. I'm not saying everyone likes matte, but lots of people do. So, to be fair, there should be choice.

People are sucked into believing that it's only a very small number that like matte, i.e. it wasn't profitable for Apple to continue the matte, however, many surveys indicate that 40-50% like matte.

koobcamuk
Oct 24, 2008, 02:19 AM
I am pleased because then I can make this little box my media centre and get something with a little more zip in the future. I don't like the iMacs.

Arnaud
Oct 24, 2008, 02:25 AM
...I've been waiting for an update, and I'd be happy to see one coming, if ever. Alas, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes the other way around as well.

The current Mini is nice, and in a good price range, but does not meet the requirements of people for Home-Theater PC's: its (video) specs are a tad too short for 1080 mkv, for example. (Whether you like that format or not is another question, I just take it as an example of what you might want to run and is most resources-consuming). It felt a little too short for my wishes of an HTPC, and I didn't buy it. I didn't find anything else better either (for good features, low noise, low price and friendly OS; I'm not interested in Windows maintenance).

Market-wise, it's an outsider. It seems to me that Apple introduced it to lure the Switchers in ("just put on top of your pc-box, for fun, just have a look - and hopefully get hooked"). But the machine itself worked so fine that I think they did lose some market share normally reserved for higher-end machines - as you could get a nice machine with a huge screen for cheaper than an iMac or a PowerMac. Actually, the scary domain of the always-awaited "headless iMac". Granted, not the same horse-power as higher-end machines, but not everybody works on 3D or huge graphics.

So, Apple could ditch the Mini, and think you either satisfy yourself with an :apple:TV or a full machine.
Or see the "market" of HTPC and provide something the user might want, at the risk of cannibalizing its own market.

But to be honest, Apple has shown an increasing clear priority on Money over Client Satisfaction in the past years, for me. I think they'll choose the path of highest returns for them, which would mean an offer limited to :apple:TV and higher machines - as they will certainly push the rental/sale of movies, say they don't believe (yet) in Blu-Ray, say they believe the HTPC's are a temporary hobby, won't make it easy for users to watch downloaded movies of dubious source, say they do not wish to attend to a certain class of (cheap) users etc.

Oh well, time will say.

opeter
Oct 24, 2008, 02:29 AM
Wow, that is a great "rumor". Hope that it will come true. :)

peeeter
Oct 24, 2008, 02:37 AM
It would be quite stupid by Apple to discontinue the low cost model during economic slowdown. It might not be the most higher margin product, but would keep also price sensitive users in Mac ecosystem.

DoFoT9
Oct 24, 2008, 02:37 AM
OMG!!! this is amazing!!! yessss!!!!

so excited i cannot wait!!

boo at the new adapter, i have my DVI->HDMI cable all lined up now im gonna have to purchase extra cables..

Billy Boo Bob
Oct 24, 2008, 02:42 AM

Well, I don't think we'll be getting THAT many, but my friend who runs a web hosting outfit is planning to get one so I can run some Mac-specific 'net apps on it (instead of on my cable modem).

As for consumers, I think a refresh is in order. But, those of you who are planning on replacing your :apple:TV with it, make sure it has HD output (unless you're just going to use a monitor as your TV). I would love to have one instead of the closed :apple:TV (even with patchstick applied). Using plain ol' FrontRow on a Mini would be fine. But it would have to offer at least component video, if not HDMI.

nick9191
Oct 24, 2008, 02:50 AM
I wish they'd put some relatively recent technology in it, the Nvidia chipset and graphics, the latest processors, DDR3 Memory. Then leave it for another 14 months by all means, but don't leave it for 14 months with technology that was already over a year old at the time.

toughboy
Oct 24, 2008, 02:55 AM
To be honest, after 1.5 years since the last upgrade, I will not settle for a simple CPU-RAM bump. I want a decent design change. By including a 3.5 inc drive and the power brick, they can come up with a more cubeish design (I'm talking about geometrical cube here, not PM Cube G4.. )

But overall, I agree with the rest of the posts, Mac mini is too precious to give up.

DoFoT9
Oct 24, 2008, 02:56 AM
I wish they'd put some relatively recent technology in it, the Nvidia chipset and graphics, the latest processors, DDR3 Memory. Then leave it for another 14 months by all means, but don't leave it for 14 months with technology that was already over a year old at the time.

thats a very good request!!!

2gb DDR3 1066mhz RAM would be nice, stock 2,4ghz penryn processor, a nice 9400M. not bad notbad.

netdog
Oct 24, 2008, 02:58 AM
Of course the Mac Mini is continuing on. It's a huge seller at Amazon. Apple would have no interest in discontinuing this little cash-cow. For some reason, ever since Apple Insider mistakenly pronounced the Mini to dead last year, this rumor of its demise just won't die.

Marx55
Oct 24, 2008, 03:15 AM
We love the Mac mini because it is so quiet. For us that is the main purchase point. The Mac mini would be perfect if it had:

- Firewire 800 (we boot from external Firewire 800 drives and carry the drives with us to work at the University and home or anywhere in the world where a Firewire Mac is available as the ultimate portability solution).
- More Firewire ports (now it only has one)

Of course, we would also like to have a quiet Mac miniTOWER with the option of 4 and 8 cores (no need of PCI or faster disks, since as said we boot from external Firewire disks), but that is another story.

We do not want the iMac because we want to use the external Apple displays, and besides we hate the glossy horrible mirror-like displays.

We do not want the PowerMac because they are too noisy, require too much electricity and generate too much heat.

In summary, the perfect desktop Mac for us would be a Mac miniTOWER with and Apple Display. Alternatively, the Mac mini with an Apple Display, booting in both cases from external Firewire disks.

MacSA
Oct 24, 2008, 03:26 AM
oooohhh..... what a nice rumour to wake up to. Please be true !!!!!! Please be true !!!!!! :D

jodelli
Oct 24, 2008, 03:36 AM
The optical drive is going to disappear, I can smell it.
And I don't really care so long as they don't jack the price up and they do raise the specs. And their software better work correctly too, unlike iDVD a while ago on external drives.

Bye Bye Baby
Oct 24, 2008, 03:40 AM
I find to hard to believe Apple would abandon the segment Mac mini is in. As to why hasn't Apple updated the mini for over a year, here's the most simple explanation (Occam's razor): The current model has sold well enough and being older tech it provides nice enough profit margins. As simple as that.

That's not quite what Occam's razor is, but I do agree that it does definitely provide Apple with great margins. I mean how much can they be paying Intel for those chips?

latchthekid
Oct 24, 2008, 03:42 AM
The optical drive is going to disappear, I can smell it.
And I don't really care so long as they don't jack the price up and they do raise the specs. And their software better work correctly too, unlike iDVD a while ago on external drives.

I like the idea of no optical drive as an option so you can do 2 HDD, but if you want to use this machine as your media center? or to rip your DVDs? If I have to use cd/dvd sharing it is going to take twice as long to convert DVDs to mp4.... sigh... let it be an option... please Apple?

colmaclean
Oct 24, 2008, 03:44 AM
Let it be, brothers and sisters! :D

PowerFullMac
Oct 24, 2008, 03:49 AM
Makes sense they would put the Mini DisplayPort on something else other than the MacBooks I suppose.

mixel
Oct 24, 2008, 03:54 AM
i wonder if that will really be the max ram or whether like the MBP it'll be the "max" ram, and the new mini will actually support 8GB..

Now that would be something. :D

Jack Comrie
Oct 24, 2008, 04:03 AM
I think they will release a new one at the same time a snow leopard. And it will have the same processor more max RAM and a bigger graphics card also I think snow leopard will support OpenCL so you get max power out the system

Dunepilot
Oct 24, 2008, 04:06 AM
Hardly anything ever goes wrong with them either. Very rare to have logic board failures, much less so than other machines in Apple's current lineup. The only things that ever really fail are the typical moving parts (HDD and optical drive, I've never seen a fan fail on one yet), and occasionally the interconnect board.

Certainly the most reliable Mac out there, so I'd be distraught if they discontinued it.

nplima
Oct 24, 2008, 04:06 AM
Maybe they remove the screen from the Macbook and sell that as a Mini. If they do the same with the Macbook Air then it's a Premium Mini for the living room :)

oxygen8
Oct 24, 2008, 04:08 AM
i'd get rid of the mini. make people spend more on a better machine. it's mot like there is an alternative out there. it's time for apple to challenge the consumer more than ever.

computers are now status symbols. buying a pc is now embarrassing to almost everyone i know. why give them a cheap out?

for every one person of conviction who won't buy a mac because of price there are thirty who will. Go for the kill Steve.

p.s. for those of you who think the economy will slow sales please give your head a shake. we are all consumer slaves, and having a wicked computer is just too important to all of us, if you choose to admit it or not.

Dustman
Oct 24, 2008, 04:15 AM
444 days? How can they just forget to update one of their computers for that long? They only have six to worry about.

mixel
Oct 24, 2008, 04:17 AM
i'd get rid of the mini. make people spend more on a better machine. it's mot like there is an alternative out there. it's time for apple to challenge the consumer more than ever.

computers are now status symbols. buying a pc is now embarrassing to almost everyone i know. why give them a cheap out?

for every one person of conviction who won't buy a mac because of price there are thirty who will. Go for the kill Steve.

p.s. for those of you who think the economy will slow sales please give your head a shake. we are all consumer slaves, and having a wicked computer is just too important to all of us, if you choose to admit it or not.
You know some strange people who aren't the norm. I've never heard of anyone not buying a PC because they're embarrassed to get one.

Minis are fit for purpose. An updated mini would fill a necessary niche. Not everyone wants a new display, and not everyone needs a "better" machine. For some purposes the mini is still top of class. Minis definitely pull more people into the Apple camp.. All the other machines are too much of an investment for people who aren't really sure..

Long live the mini!

opeter
Oct 24, 2008, 04:20 AM
I like the idea of no optical drive as an option so you can do 2 HDD, but if you want to use this machine as your media center? or to rip your DVDs? If I have to use cd/dvd sharing it is going to take twice as long to convert DVDs to mp4.... sigh... let it be an option... please Apple?

You could buy external 3,5" od even 2,5" DVD-burner for USB or Firewire...

oldwatery
Oct 24, 2008, 04:26 AM
Now I know what I want for Christmas.
Please, Santa Steve :apple:

kiwi031
Oct 24, 2008, 04:30 AM
Please please please discontinue the Mac Mini today....

And give me an awesome updated model!

Or, a mid range Macintosh. PLZ!

teme
Oct 24, 2008, 04:35 AM

You can't be serious? Most people I know get a computer because they need to do things with it, not because they need to show off how much money they have. I understand that Apple computers may be status symbols for some users, but definitely not for all.

xUKHCx
Oct 24, 2008, 04:35 AM
I have been waiting to buy at least 2 minis for quite some time now. If they get updated I think apple will be getting a chunk of change from me. The are a great replacement for those people who don't really need a blazing fast computer and want to switch to the mac.

mapllfe82
Oct 24, 2008, 04:36 AM
must have firewire.......must have firewire~

takao
Oct 24, 2008, 04:42 AM
if they go mini displayport then we have to wait till january for sure that the macpro gets it as well

that said .. if they replace dvi with it they should add HDMI as well.. that simply would be perfect

1. (mini)displayport for those using it as computers
2. hdmi for those using the mini for multimedia purposes

combined with the 2 harddisk rumor (perhaps having a model with 1 3,5" instead)

only missing then is the 9400 chipset

if they do that i'm sure few people would be missing the firewire

nanofrog
Oct 24, 2008, 05:03 AM
if they go mini displayport then we have to wait till january for sure that the macpro gets it as well
Notebooks and the Mini are consumer products. As is the new 24" ACD that was just released.

The Mac Pro is a completely different market, and the Mini DisplayPort wouldn't do well here. Apple doesn't produce the graphics cards, and I doubt the vendors would be willing to use this connector, as they'd have to spend more money in a license/royalty to Apple to use it.

Mini DisplayPort isn't actually a standard, as it uses a proprietary connector with the DisplayPort standard. A small change, but just enough for it to be an issue with other manufacturers. It allows Apple to generate additional sales on cables to make anything else work. :rolleyes:
that said .. if they replace dvi with it they should add HDMI as well.. that simply would be perfect
Not going to happen, as Apple doesn't want to pay a $0.04 royalty per HDMI device produced.

aswitcher
Oct 24, 2008, 05:11 AM
I would just be happy if they did a dirt cheap model with few advances.

DoFoT9
Oct 24, 2008, 05:13 AM
I would just be happy if they did a dirt cheap model with few advances.

yes me too!! lower the price up the specs keep the DVI port!

marbles
Oct 24, 2008, 05:16 AM
...it's getting closer everyday ......before mid November please ...I'm desperate here , I'm running a G3 ,....was going to get a Macbook but......

takao
Oct 24, 2008, 05:18 AM
Notebooks and the Mini are consumer products. As is the new 24" ACD that was just released.

The Mac Pro is a completely different market, and the Mini DisplayPort wouldn't do well here. Apple doesn't produce the graphics cards, and I doubt the vendors would be willing to use this connector, as they'd have to spend more money in a license/royalty to Apple to use it.

Mini DisplayPort isn't actually a standard, as it uses a proprietary connector with the DisplayPort standard. A small change, but just enough for it to be an issue with other manufacturers. It allows Apple to generate additional sales on cables to make anything else work. :rolleyes:

Not going to happen, as Apple doesn't want to pay a $0.04 royalty per HDMI device produced.

i all know that already thank you very much (that's why i put the "mini" from displayport in brackets ;) ) .. see the other discussions on that

still i want hdmi as well ... why apple is so stingy because of the 4 cents is beyond me .. after all they have no problem with hdmi on the apple tv

(and why apple doesn't even bother with a minidisplayport to displayport connector is beyond me but that's part of another discussion .. apple has chosen the proprietary connector _again_ and they wont do something about it until they failed miserable again with it

and on the mac pro: of course it will get the new minidisplayport .. since all the apple screens will get the very same connector)

on the mini back again i somehow fear it's gonna be a disappointing update ... like improved wireless + intel x3100 + speed bump + ultra minimal hd increase + dropping of firewire + superdrive standard

pol0001
Oct 24, 2008, 05:21 AM
Am I the only one who remembers Steve Jobs comment in this week phone conference? "We don't know how to build a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk." .... The Mac Mini is dead! Steve Jobs also mentioned that Apple is going for the premium market. So I guess we won't see anything for less than $800 for quite a while. And from $800 it's not that far to the price of the cheapest iMac. ... Don't get me wrong. I have a Mac Mini and use it for my home theater. And I love it. But Apple killed that product 444 days ago. Otherwise the Mini would already have the 144 MB Intel GPU.

Shagrat
Oct 24, 2008, 05:32 AM

No Chance. This, apparently, at least according to some (:D), is a PROFESSIONAL feature, so won't be on a new Mac Mini.

Assuming that there is one in the offing!

Courtaj
Oct 24, 2008, 05:33 AM
. . . here's the most simple explanation (Occam's razor) . . .That's not quite what Occam's razor is . . .This is often paraphrased as "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." In other words, when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ockham_razor).

dernhelm
Oct 24, 2008, 05:46 AM
If this is selling well, I need to understand who is buying a new computer with components that were introduced nearly 1.5 years ago.

I've got a bridge I'd like to sell them.

cv01
Oct 24, 2008, 05:48 AM
Yeah, hope I can replace my old Mini G4 soon!

iMacmatician
Oct 24, 2008, 05:53 AM
I'm thinking the update is coming in November with the updated iMacs.

nanofrog
Oct 24, 2008, 05:56 AM
i all know that already thank you very much (that's why i put the "mini" from displayport in brackets ;) ) .. see the other discussions on that
I've written a few posts in those threads....So many popped up. ;) :p

Still, it might help someone else who hasn't seen them. :)
still i want hdmi as well ... why apple is so stingy because of the 4 cents is beyond me .. after all they have no problem with hdmi on the apple tv
I understand your point. Apple just doesn't seem to like paying out money for royalty/licensing to other companies. They're happy to accept it though. ;)

As they are also quite happy to produce adapter cables for additional income of course. :rolleyes:

As for the :apple:tv, it's a product aimed specifically for the HDTV market, and they had to make an exception. :eek: Rare indeed. ;)
(and why apple doesn't even bother with a minidisplayport to displayport connector is beyond me but that's part of another discussion .. apple has chosen the proprietary connector _again_ and they wont do something about it until they failed miserable again with it
It's reasonable to think they would release with the professional line of ACD's and the new Mac Pro. They seem to like grouping these things together. :D
and on the mac pro: of course it will get the new minidisplayport .. since all the apple screens will get the very same connector)
This is where I'd have to disagree. Most graphics cards are still DVI, and slowly adding/switching to DisplayPort. It's an open standard, and they don't have to pay to use it, and would resist the proprietary Mini DisplayPort vehemently. I think ATI and nVidia would win this one, and the new professional ACD's would release with a standard DisplayPort instead.

Assuming they did attempt the Mini DisplayPort, it would be a massive mess, as existing equipment Mac Pro users own might just be rendered useless. At best, would reluctantly attempt to locate adapter solutions. Not good for customer relations. ;)
on the mini back again i somehow fear it's gonna be a disappointing update ... like improved wireless + intel x3100 + speed bump + ultra minimal hd increase + dropping of firewire + superdrive standard
I wouldn't expect too much. It is after all, a $500 machine. :p

latchthekid
Oct 24, 2008, 06:02 AM
No Chance. This, apparently, at least according to some (:D), is a PROFESSIONAL feature, so won't be on a new Mac Mini.

Assuming that there is one in the offing!

I really really REALLY hope they don't off firewire on the mini. There has been some talk that even the iMacs will loose it but there is no way that will happen. Everyone keeps saying how Apple must think firewire is obsolete now but come on? Apple just wants all the people who have DV cameras, massive storage, or firewire audio interfaces to go ahead a jump up 700 bucks to the MBP. Basically there is no more choice involved. Your either a consumer or a professional, no more of this PROsumer crap. Just make up your mind already, right? At least thats how I see it. Apple won't get rid of firewire on the next iMacs. I can see them doing it with the mini. But if they care at ALL about their dedicated customers and what we want, then give us options. Don't limit us to what they (:apple:) deems as adequate for our usage. We will see.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 24, 2008, 06:06 AM
This is good new but I think we killed the mac mini end of life thread a little early. Come on Apple its been over a year whats wrong with you guys?

VaDor
Oct 24, 2008, 06:13 AM

And with boxee installed must be a dream... :D

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 24, 2008, 06:29 AM
I didn't see one, or at least take note of one, at the Apple Store I visited yesterday. They did have an open spot on the along the wall counter though which I thought odd...

phatcat
Oct 24, 2008, 06:34 AM
I love my mini. after upgrading it I'm happy the way it is.

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 24, 2008, 06:36 AM
If this is selling well, I need to understand who is buying a new computer with components that were introduced nearly 1.5 years ago.

I've got a bridge I'd like to sell them.

I've got 2 of them. One is used for music through a whole house music distribution system. It beats the hell out of their 'ipod dock' hysterical idea. I know of a few retirees that have them. Perfect for the people that flee the snow up here for the warmth of the south. Not much to pack...

Don't discount the system so quickly. There aren't many, if any, real options like the mini in the pc world. It just needs an update. They can't make it into a mini supercomputer though or they might cannibalize sales from the iMac and Mac Pro lines. I'm sure that much heated discussions are and have happened in California and China regarding the mini...

DanielJvdBerg
Oct 24, 2008, 06:41 AM
Just dump the damn thing already..

BJMRamage
Oct 24, 2008, 06:42 AM
I think this would be a much better Holiday item for Apple to upgrade.

many people will be happy, it is lower cost and they can then sell their new display. rathe than redo teh imac right before the holiday season.

iEdd
Oct 24, 2008, 06:46 AM
Be really nice if they made the mini a screenless MacBook Pro, but with a 3rd USB, 2nd FireWire, full DVI and 1 PCIe card (even if these means doubling its height). Of course, what we will get, if anything is a computer about as good as a base macbook, sans screen that is hard to justify.

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 24, 2008, 06:46 AM

Apple doesn't 'own' DisplayPort, it's a VESA standard. I imagine that VESA decides how much and who...

Companies voicing support for DisplayPort are: AMD, Analogix, Apple, ASRock, ASUSTeK, Dell, Genesis Microchip, Hewlett-Packard, Hosiden Corporation, Intel, Integrated Device Technology, JAE, Lenovo, Luxtera, Molex, NVIDIA, NXP Semiconductors, Palit Microsystems, Parade Technologies, Philips, Quantum Data, Samsung, Sparkle Computer, Texas Instruments, and Tyco Electronics.

It seems hard to believe that the move isn't going to happen at some level. Apple has already started their product line transition. I'm curious as to how the connector stays attached. It looks too much like a SATA connector. This move to smaller and smaller connectors is potentially both good and bad...

iEdd
Oct 24, 2008, 06:47 AM
Apple doesn't 'own' DisplayPort, it's a VESA standard.

Exactly what he said. He said the MINI DisplayPort is a proprietary connector.

dernhelm
Oct 24, 2008, 06:50 AM
I've got 2 of them. One is used for music through a whole house music distribution system. It beats the hell out of their 'ipod dock' hysterical idea. I know of a few retirees that have them. Perfect for the people that flee the snow up here for the warmth of the south. Not much to pack...

Don't discount the system so quickly. There aren't many, if any, real options like the mini in the pc world. It just needs an update. They can't make it into a mini supercomputer though or they might cannibalize sales from the iMac and Mac Pro lines. I'm sure that much heated discussions are and have happened in California and China regarding the mini...

I'm not discounting the system. But any computer that hasn't been updated in a year and a half (almost) should just about be considered to be abandoned. A LOT happens in a year and a half.

That said, I hope they do update the mini - I've recommended them in the past to people looking for a low-cost update to their windows system. But when my Sister-in-Law wanted to get one a couple of months ago, I steered her away from it. It was already slow, and I was by no means certain that it wasn't going to be dropped entirely.

At this point, I also can't understand why Apple hasn't dropped the price $100 or so, the components cannot be that expensive anymore - and they'd move that many more.

I think the thing for Apple is they don't want to be in the low-cost market. They see the Apple TV as a hobby, and I think they view the mini the same way. I suspect (like many) that they'll end up fusing their two hobbies together somehow - but I just can't see how. No one wants to use a TV screen as a computer screen (Job's has said that numerous times as well).

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 24, 2008, 06:52 AM
Be really nice if they made the mini a screenless MacBook Pro, but with a 3rd USB, 2nd FireWire, full DVI and 1 PCIe card (even if these means doubling its height). Of course, what we will get, if anything is a computer about as good as a base macbook, sans screen that is hard to justify.

It would be nice if they made it warm and furry and able to jump in your lap and wag its tail too but then who would buy a dog?

Product placement in their line is paramount. Some of the battles in IBM over what product group would release what products and what degree of 'crippling' would be demanded to save other division products were probably bloody and yet oddly necessary. Think, a small Mac Pro. Who would buy the full-sized Mac Pro? The bleeding from the sales of the Mac Pro wouldn't make the bean counters happy and could spell the end of that line. Especially in this economy.

A speed bumped mini with more memory capacity would be a great idea. It's an entry level system. Think training wheels and a hard plastic seat, not Concorde in a shoebox..

They could do the AppleTV top for it??? Maybe add some blinking lights? A disco ball? :D:rolleyes::cool:

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 24, 2008, 06:58 AM
I'm not discounting the system. But any computer that hasn't been updated in a year and a half (almost) should just about be considered to be abandoned. A LOT happens in a year and a half.

That said, I hope they do update the mini - I've recommended them in the past to people looking for a low-cost update to their windows system. But when my Sister-in-Law wanted to get one a couple of months ago, I steered her away from it. It was already slow, and I was by no means certain that it wasn't going to be dropped entirely.

At this point, I also can't understand why Apple hasn't dropped the price $100 or so, the components cannot be that expensive anymore - and they'd move that many more.

I think the thing for Apple is they don't want to be in the low-cost market. They see the Apple TV as a hobby, and I think they view the mini the same way. I suspect (like many) that they'll end up fusing their two hobbies together somehow - but I just can't see how. No one wants to use a TV screen as a computer screen (Job's has said that numerous times as well).

If it's true that the processors are EOL'ed, they might actually be paying Intel to crank them out special for them... Apple rarely lowers the prices, in public, for current systems except for refurb units.

And I hear you on the 'low cost market' but you, or they, have to remember that the low cost market often seeds that market with future purchases of the more advanced systems. Think 'education'. Why do companies have world wars over the education market? Because when Johnny and Jane get all growed up they tend to buy what they are familiar with... An education only mini would be a barn burner product in this economy... Just think of the sales, and the future sales...

nfassbender
Oct 24, 2008, 07:01 AM
So... Here it is:

http://www.denkersendoeners.com/macmini/

Greetz

Oct 24, 2008, 07:02 AM
Oh the mini still sells well, I still see a lot of people buying them at the Durham NC store (they usually walk out with that, iwork, bento).

I bought my wife one in August as her HP desktop was just getting a little to aged.

the price though, yep - need to do something about that.....

I bought her a strict baseline as she does not need to do much with it, that also includes the combo drive. she does not burn DVD's, I do all the video work on my macbook.

Baseline mini
apple keyboard (hard wired)
iwork
applecare
north carolina state sales tax

Total Price - about $979

She could not see me buying her a macbook as it would have cost that much more for what she does. Good thing I already had a logitech 2-button mouse, speakers, and a 15-inch KDS LCD monitor (monitor 5 years old, but still looks great) laying around. oh, and then add in another $115 for a 360gb (smallest and lowest priced any local store had) hard drive for her timemachine backups.

My wife really did not want me buying her a computer, but the HP (nothing wrong hardware wise) was just getting old and she could not work without it saying low memory or taking forever to do something. Heck, just sitting there idle would pop-up virtual memory too low. she has been so much happier with the mini. she ius shocked that it has been 2 months and not a lock up, slow down, ect.

she wishes she had one for work. at work all she keeps saying to her IBM running XP is "Don't make me reboot you....."

Superman07
Oct 24, 2008, 07:03 AM
I'd looove to have a timeline for this. Anybody? :o

Oct 24, 2008, 07:08 AM
So... Here it is:

Greetz

Nice mockup - but nah. If they did not even make the glass trackpad a multi-touch display to shortcut tapping on your icons, i really dought the top of the mini will have it. that seems more logical on a laptop, not a desktop machine. since they are doing away with the white, I could see a black top - or more like the entire thing is aluminum (or as they said the in the keynote aluminium :p).

what wold be nice, since the price of metals keep going up, and they claim the aluminum is so recyclable - Apple to say "Bring us your old aluminum Apple's when you buy a new one and we will give you a $100 discount"

think about how many more would be recycled, how many more they will sell, and how much aluminum they will have for re-manufacturing.

darkblu
Oct 24, 2008, 07:09 AM
firewire or bust ™

Lesser Evets
Oct 24, 2008, 07:11 AM
Another rumor!

I believe from past rumors that the mini will be re-tooled. It is a popular computer, though I know no one that owns one for home use.

If SATA is true, it's the best thing ever for the mini. Being able to have 1 TB internal makes it worthy of wider use. Though, the mini might be getting maxi if these rumors are true, and there will be room for two sata drives or an sata and an optical.

rhpenguin
Oct 24, 2008, 07:11 AM

I'd buy that idea. Granted, my Hacintosh would probably wipe the floor with it and cost less, I'd buy it.

All I want is a machine with no built in display, dedicated user replaceable graphics with dual DVI and 3.5" SATA HDD.

dernhelm
Oct 24, 2008, 07:19 AM
If it's true that the processors are EOL'ed, they might actually be paying Intel to crank them out special for them... Apple rarely lowers the prices, in public, for current systems except for refurb units.

And I hear you on the 'low cost market' but you, or they, have to remember that the low cost market often seeds that market with future purchases of the more advanced systems. Think 'education'. Why do companies have world wars over the education market? Because when Johnny and Jane get all growed up they tend to buy what they are familiar with... An education only mini would be a barn burner product in this economy... Just think of the sales, and the future sales...

Absolutely. Most markets are driven from the bottom. It's the entry-level machines that most people will interact with. Microsoft got that 20 years ago. But Apple would much rather drive their ideas down from the top. In the computer industry, the really expensive cool ideas of today will be mainstream in 3-4 years or less. That's how it worked with the GUI/mouse, the iPod, and eventually how it will work with touch screen devices. Apple would rather be the innovator driving what the industry will be doing 3 years from now, than be the sales leader of today selling a lot of low-cost machines.

And now that they are better about protecting their trade secrets and patents, they are succeeding at it. When the iPod was released, it was EXPENSIVE, but very innovative. Now the shuffles and nanos are relatively inexpensive (still not dirt cheap) and most of the industry still hasn't been able to build competitive devices. But Apple has more or less stopped innovating on the scroll wheel iPods (except for shake to shuffle - which is more of an accelerometer innovation), and has moved on from the scroll wheel to touch interfaces, which in another 3 years will also be relatively commonplace; and they'll be innovating something else.

nfassbender
Oct 24, 2008, 07:26 AM
Well it's just a thought but:

-If you take the best of the iphone: multi touch display
-The best of the Apple TV: Home Cinema
-The best of the imac: better Graphics and design
-the best of the mac mini: cheap, easy to use, multi funtional

You'll get someting like this:

but as i said it's just a thought..

Grtz :rolleyes:

Arnaud
Oct 24, 2008, 07:29 AM
But if they care at ALL about their dedicated customers and what we want, then give us options. Don't limit us to what they (:apple:) deems as adequate for our usage.

Well, I don't think Apple cares at all about their dedicated customers. They might have in the past, but not anymore, since the market share is growing by itself. And they have good marketing arguments: you want to avoid virus hassles? Run os x; you want the hype phone of the moment? Get an iPhone. Actually, sometimes, I think the attraction of the product is way beyond what it's really worth. I mean, they even had half the Mac-users' community salivate over the iPhone a good 6 months before it was even available.

Nowadays, Apple only cares about its returns. iMovie'07 was great, they brought iMovie'08 - forcing the "prosumer" to turn to Final Cut Express; :apple:TV is a nice tool, but still not answering to the "needs" of the clients - only 720p, no Divx or other exotic formats (without a hack, that is), no big evolution for the last year; now withdrawing FW from entry-level machines to push the half-pros to buy the pro-models; the iPhone os is the most closed one around, you have to go through their accepted apps via the app store.

Of course, there are good things in Apple products, but I still see the priority in the strategy: keep control, make money; do not surrender to users' wishes if there's a risk for less returns.

And in all that light, there is not much room for an improved Mini. There would have been, up to 3 years ago.

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 24, 2008, 07:30 AM
<blockquote>But Apple has more or less stopped innovating on the scroll wheel iPods (except for shake to shuffle - which is more of an accelerometer innovation), and has moved on from the scroll wheel to touch interfaces, which in another 3 years will also be relatively commonplace; and they'll be innovating something else. </blockquote>

I'm waiting until they are implantable, or have a heads up display... Anyone remember all the talk of a 'portable/wearable' computer? Display screens being right in front of you? Yeah... That would be cool but unless you either build planes or kill people for a living, you have to wait it out...

It does make one wonder what is in store for the future... That's partly what keeps me getting up in the morning. 'What if...' If it wasn't for ridiculously strong copyrights and patents restraining innovation, where would humanity be I wonder...

Oct 24, 2008, 07:33 AM
Another rumor!

I believe from past rumors that the mini will be re-tooled. It is a popular computer, though I know no one that owns one for home use.

If SATA is true, it's the best thing ever for the mini. Being able to have 1 TB internal makes it worthy of wider use. Though, the mini might be getting maxi if these rumors are true, and there will be room for two sata drives or an sata and an optical.

Oh a 1 TB internal drive :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D then I could rip all 100 of my DVD's to it and hook it up to my new LCD HD TV.... Add a 500gb external drive and copy over all my music :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That would really be a nice addition to build a home theatre system and then get rid of my 6 year old DVD player (that still works perfect). Have a system to use front row and a click of a remote to bring up the movie I want to watch, rather than finding the DVD in the cabinet, and loading it...

Would really give me a reason to hook up my surround sound again. Hmm, would be nice in the bedroom. a compact unit that can hold 100 movies and just watch at the flip of a switch...

ok, I'd buy 2 more :cool:

Motley
Oct 24, 2008, 07:39 AM
And so the saga continues.

I do think that firewire will be dropped in any update, why? Simply because apple can't update a product without doing something stupid that angers a lot of people.

Kebabselector
Oct 24, 2008, 07:41 AM
Am I the only one who remembers Steve Jobs comment in this week phone conference? "We don't know how to build a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk." .... The Mac Mini is dead!

It doesn't discount it though. Apple currently make a $599 mini which isn't $500.

So if they released a $600 Mini replacement it's not $500. If he meant $600 he would have said $600.

JG271
Oct 24, 2008, 07:46 AM
Good to see that the mini is still alive, but display port? Why? It'll be big enough for a full size DVI, so why change it if it isn't broken?

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 24, 2008, 07:47 AM
Exactly what he said. He said the MINI DisplayPort is a proprietary connector.

What?

The 'MINI DisplayPort' is THE DisplayPort, right?. It shouldn't be as 'proprietary' as the VESA mounting plate layouts on the backs of monitors.

I imagine that the VESA member companies will be able to get the use of the DisplayPort standard making it proprietary only to those that aren't VESA member companies. DisplayPort is a move to hopefully stop the use of HDMI in computers for displays. It appears that with DisplayPort, the future includes being able to daisy chain displays off a single cable much like devices off of USB. HDMI and DisplayPort are nearly compatible...

White paper (http://www.displayport.org/white-papers/whitepapers/DP_Overview_English.pdf) and certified devices (http://www.displayport.org/certified-devices/default.htm).

It all sounds exciting and potentially expensive if the move is too sudden. Example: I've got a tv that only has the old style HD inputs (DVI). Now everything has the new HDMI connectors. I have to either use finicky adapters or buy a new set. Unlikely considering my other lusted for devices (Mac Pro, etc)...

tom53092
Oct 24, 2008, 07:48 AM
It would be ironic if they discontinued it now. If the new mini has the same hardware as the new macbooks, it will be able to play full hdtv easily. I'll buy a second one just to use as a dvr. It's reasonably priced compared with a media server, and you get to stick with the mac interface and not deal with interconnectivity problems.

overcast
Oct 24, 2008, 07:48 AM

A colocation service for mac minis has got to be THE dumbest business venture I've ever seen. What a waste of rack space, processing power and management.

Ted13
Oct 24, 2008, 07:51 AM
Its still to expensive bring the price down
maybe more people will purchase it

At its current price i would rather purchase a mac book.
That's exactly why Apple WILL NOT bring the price down. Steve Jobs explicitly said at the latest earnings call that Apple will not produce a sub $500 computer.

One more vote for the Mini as a great Home Theater PC -- just needs more horse power to run EyeTV better.

zedsdead
Oct 24, 2008, 07:53 AM
That's exactly why Apple WILL NOT bring the price down. Steve Jobs explicitly said at the latest earnings call that Apple will not produce a sub $500 computer.

I agree. The price point will remain the same, but a totally new product is coming. They are going all aluminum with a black top, and it will change names.

I agree that they are might even gives users the option to drop the optical drive.

iMacLovin
Oct 24, 2008, 07:54 AM
Completely agreed!

What if the blue-ray comments from SJ were only related to the Macbooks and they plan to launch the Mac Mini Home Entertainment Edition with Blue-Ray for the home theater crowd.

Add HD video capture capability and it would then be the ultimate Home Entertainment Center ...

One can dream

studlybw
Oct 24, 2008, 07:56 AM
More than likely, if you have one you're supporting the continuance of the mini. If you don't have one then you think Apple should get rid of them. They are slower machines without nearly the options of a Mac Pro or even a MacBook but, unless it's getting in the way of making another great product then just leave it.
I personally just bought two of them for my small video production business because we are using Mac Pros for all of the editing, graphics, etc. but I wanted to get everyone on the same system so we could operate well together. The other employees only needed something to check email, surf the web, synch their iPhones well, and do some word processing. The mini was a perfect fit.
The mini has many uses for some of us and there's really no reason to demand that Apple discontinue it, or for that matter even have an opinion on it, if you won't ever buy one. I personally hope they stay around because they offer a great Apple experience without the investment for expandability that won't ever be used.:)

Tilard
Oct 24, 2008, 07:57 AM
after waiting for several months for a refresh and finally buying one in May, I am still more than happy with my mini.

Don't feel the need to upgrade, whatever the new mini will look like.

takao
Oct 24, 2008, 07:59 AM
This is where I'd have to disagree. Most graphics cards are still DVI, and slowly adding/switching to DisplayPort. It's an open standard, and they don't have to pay to use it, and would resist the proprietary Mini DisplayPort vehemently. I think ATI and nVidia would win this one, and the new professional ACD's would release with a standard DisplayPort instead.

Assuming they did attempt the Mini DisplayPort, it would be a massive mess, as existing equipment Mac Pro users own might just be rendered useless. At best, would reluctantly attempt to locate adapter solutions. Not good for customer relations. ;)

i sure hope it goes standard displayport.. even more so that the "pro" screens get more connection possibilities .. on the other side for ati and nvidia it's not much of a problem to put another connector there since the interface is the same.. neither of them is exactly selling screens ;)

and sure apple isn't exactly a company unheard of rapidly aging equipment .. they sure have no problems burning bridges behind them

I wouldn't expect too much. It is after all, a $500 machine. :p

after so much non-updates apple has to do more

in my opinion they should split the mac mini into 2 seperate devices .. the lower one keeping the current form factor and 499 price and and another form factor for 699 with dual screen output better 3,5" components etc.

MacsRgr8
Oct 24, 2008, 08:01 AM

Exactly. I have a Mac mini Core Duo hooked up to my LCD HD "ready" TV via DVI. Optical audio connected to Dolby 5.1 set, and it's perfect! (In need of a bigger an better TV though... :D)
I use Front Row, VLC and (dare I say it...) Xbox Media Center for Mac (http://xbmc.org/) to play everything.. very cool.
Oh yeah.. DVDs too... :p

I wouldn't mind a faster Mac mini (very large 1080p HD .mkv-files sometimes need too much CPU time of my current 1.6 GHz Core Duo) to connect to a very big 1080p LCD TV.... hmmm....

swarmster
Oct 24, 2008, 08:04 AM
So... Here it is:

Greetz

Thanks for basically reading my mind and 'shopping that together; saves me the time. The only thing is the whole top-is-a-screen thing is really goofy. I think the aluminum-with-glass-top could very well be true, maybe (hopefully) with a glowing Apple logo under the glass. But no screen.

TCasper
Oct 24, 2008, 08:05 AM
- A new Mini DisplayPort
- Increase in max RAM to 4GB
- SATA Optical drive (instead of ATA/IDE)

I briefly browsed the threads, but has no one mentioned that the RAM on the current Mac mini can already be maxed to 4GB?

billystlyes
Oct 24, 2008, 08:07 AM
I had a feeling they would be coming soon....

Divindude
Oct 24, 2008, 08:13 AM
I had read an article that Royal Caribbean was outfitting all of its new cruise ships with macs servers and mini's to operate the ships video/cable systems to the rooms. I seem to recall that there was one mini per pair of rooms and mac server per cluster of minis (don't recall the ratio). Seems like Apple has found a market for the mini outside of the normal consumer market - I can't imagine that they would want to walk away from such a large customer base

askthedust
Oct 24, 2008, 08:14 AM
As soon as this model comes out will be selling old powerbook g4 1.33 to buy the new mini. almost did the trade in thing yesterday thinking this thing was EOL'd

archer75
Oct 24, 2008, 08:19 AM
I want HDMI 1.3

The mini is the perfect HTPC.

The display port doesn't happen to carry audio does it?

decimortis
Oct 24, 2008, 08:21 AM
I really hope the mini sticks around. So far I've switched over my father, mother, mother-in-law, wife and sister. All of whom did so by getting a mini. It's too hard to convince someone to get an iMac with the price of lcd screens these days.

Viva la mini

Felix01
Oct 24, 2008, 08:21 AM
i worked at one of the busiest apple retail stores in the midwest for 3 years... and I can honestly say, I think I've only sold about 5 mac minis out of the several thousand computers I have sold since working there.

Lots of anecdotal evidence in that article to indicate you are far off the mark. The particular midwest market where you worked? Salesperson skills? Personal bias (steering potential customers away from the mini)? Who knows.

But to be #1 at Amazon means there's being a ton of them sold somewhere.

Le Big Mac
Oct 24, 2008, 08:22 AM
If they have stopped shipping that could just mean they are getting rid of the current stock in anticipation of a refresh.

While that makes sense, that rumor also mentioned stores had been informed there would be no more or a replacement. (not saying the rumor is true, just what it was).

Le Big Mac
Oct 24, 2008, 08:24 AM
Am I the only one who remembers Steve Jobs comment in this week phone conference? "We don't know how to build a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk." ....

No, and two thoughts:

1) The mini isn't really a $500 computer, because you still need monitor etc. I took him to mean a "complete" computer.

2) Whenever steve says something like that he means "we've figured it out, but won't perfect it for another 2-6 months, at which point we'll release it."

Wild theory: iMacs are done, to be replaced by upgraded minis sold in tandem with new ACDs.

srobert
Oct 24, 2008, 08:26 AM
I hope they include at least one of their display adapter/dongle with it or they would have to change their catchy acronym.

B.Y.O.D.K.M. to B.Y.O.K.M…D.O.B.N.C.D

(Bring your own keyboard, mouse… dongle or brand new cinema display)

Either way, unless the adapter is included, that would effectively increase they entry price by an extra $30-$900. Bam!

decimortis
Oct 24, 2008, 08:26 AM
Wild theory: iMacs are done, to be replaced by upgraded minis sold in tandem with new ACDs.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

TEG
Oct 24, 2008, 08:27 AM
I'd like to see the new mini use Magsafe instead of the current power connector, that way it would fit with the current 24" display. Also it will likely use the 9400M, but it would be nice to have the option of a discrete video card, or at least one PCIe port available for future expansion.

TEG

Jowl
Oct 24, 2008, 08:28 AM
I love my Mini. it sits under the LCD TV recording TV, shows my DVD and ripped movies.

Wouldn't mind a bit more powerfull cpu and graphics - to help with ripping/converting video. What I'd really like is blue-ray....can't see that happening anytime soon though.

Rocketman
Oct 24, 2008, 08:28 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if they made the Mini have an enlarged casing option for end user expansion?

Wouldn't it be cool if they put some ultra high speed I/O port like 10 gigabit ethernet or eSata, so it became the ultimate small grid machine? Then sell an 8-way rack for Mini's so desktop grids become popular.

I can wish! :D

Rocketman

xonomox
Oct 24, 2008, 08:29 AM
Looks like the updates are coming today... at least for something.

macaco74
Oct 24, 2008, 08:32 AM
Very excited, been waiting for an updated mini since christmas. I will get one of these as soon as it is released!

FJ218700
Oct 24, 2008, 08:35 AM
apple stores down

not in the U.S.

Superman07
Oct 24, 2008, 08:37 AM

Store is not down in US.

takao
Oct 24, 2008, 08:38 AM
not in the U.S.

neither are the austrian or german stores down

kenned
Oct 24, 2008, 08:39 AM

The :apple:TV has HDMI ;)

I want HDMI 1.3

Yes, the Displayport is capable of carrying audio

Arnaud
Oct 24, 2008, 08:40 AM
There's an awful lot of wishful thinking here...

Btw, re updates: today's not a Tuesday.

Lesser Evets
Oct 24, 2008, 08:42 AM
Oh a 1 TB internal drive :D then I could rip all 100 of my DVD's to it and hook it up to my new LCD HD TV.... Add a 500gb external drive and copy over all my music :D

That would really be a nice addition to build a home theatre system and then get rid of my 6 year old DVD player (that still works perfect). Have a system to use front row and a click of a remote to bring up the movie I want to watch, rather than finding the DVD in the cabinet, and loading it...

It's really nice that you can also join up firewire or usb2 drives alongside if you ever want to expand out and have hundreds and hundreds of DVDs and thousands of songs. The mini would become a very nice media center.

I still think an upgraded mini would be excellent as a small art computer for a Cintiq, with internet, email, music and video. If you don't play games, edit video, and create 3D animations, the current processors aren't bad at all for almost everything else you use a computer for.

emaja
Oct 24, 2008, 08:43 AM

There is no way that Apple would drop their flagship consumer product. When people think Apple they think iMac.

The minis with a glass touchscreen top are just silly. Are you going to sit with it in your lap to use it?

I really want a mini so I can hook it up to my cable DVR and use the FireWire output to capture the video. If they drop FireWire I will have to look for another solution.

Thomas2006
Oct 24, 2008, 08:43 AM
I'm expecting a new case design and of course some hardware upgrades. Let's just hope it has Firewire! ;)
Eliminating the DVI port will free up enough room for the audio jacks and computer lock to be brought down to the bottom, making room for more vents up top to help cool the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT.

eSATA seems like it would be a good option because it is faster than USB 2.0, FireWire400 and FireWire800, but I do not think it will be faster than USB 3.0, which is just around the corner, so I think the Mac mini will keep FireWire400 until it is available. USB 3.0 will also have the advantage of backward compatibility with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices.

PinkyMacGodess
Oct 24, 2008, 08:52 AM
I love my Mini. it sits under the LCD TV recording TV, shows my DVD and ripped movies.

Recording TV? How? I'd love a mac tivo without the tivo...

xonomox
Oct 24, 2008, 08:56 AM
They may not be down now, but the US and Canadian stores were down earlier... not sure how to check that in my cache or whatever, but they were

Le Big Mac
Oct 24, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'd like to see the new mini use Magsafe instead of the current power connector, that way it would fit with the current 24" display. Also it will likely use the 9400M, but it would be nice to have the option of a discrete video card, or at least one PCIe port available for future expansion.

TEG

Yeah, great, so when my daughter climbs behind the AV cabinet and trips over the cord I lose access. It's not a portable computer, so why a need for magsafe? (although I agree with you there should be a nice way to connect it to the ACD)

guzhogi
Oct 24, 2008, 08:59 AM
In my opinion, Apple should really combine the Mac Mini & :apple:TV, and add DVR functionality. Just my 2¢

DaBrain
Oct 24, 2008, 09:02 AM
If Apple puts in the new integrated Nvidia graphics, updates to 802.11N IM ready to put my order in for a xmass gift pronto!

Fingers crossed but hopes remain low. Time will tell and hopefully soon before xmass! ;)

Schizoid
Oct 24, 2008, 09:05 AM
Kill the Mac Mini...
Bring back the CUBE!

or make it ⅓ the price so we can buy 3 and make a sort of cube with it...

dernhelm
Oct 24, 2008, 09:07 AM
Kill the Mac Mini...
Bring back the CUBE!

or make it ⅓ the price so we can buy 3 and make a sort of cube with it...

HA! Funniest quote on this thread.
:D

I really want a mini so I can hook it up to my cable DVR and use the FireWire output to capture the video. If they drop FireWire I will have to look for another solution.

I wouldn't get too wound up about the loss of Firewire just yet. Despite the emotional outbursts about its removal on the MacBook, Apple does not consider FW to be professional only. If they did, they wouldn't have FW 800 on the iMac.

macfearless
Oct 24, 2008, 09:10 AM
It's probably going to be redesigned (i.e. black glass top instead of frosted white) to go along with the new line.

cosmonaut23
Oct 24, 2008, 09:13 AM
And so the saga continues.

I do think that firewire will be dropped in any update, why? Simply because apple can't update a product without doing something stupid that angers a lot of people.

Great that it looks (fingers crossed) like we might get our wish granted for a new Mac Mini.

As things stand though, I would expect whatever they're planning will not have a firewire port. Why would they drop it from the MacBook and leave it on other consumer products? That would make no sense.

We've just got to hope Apple gets the message about how unhappy we customers are about dropping firewire, while there's still a chance for them to save it.

2 S3200 Firewire ports on the new Mini please!

terrorbite
Oct 24, 2008, 09:15 AM
Maybe they're just saying this because their business revolves around Mac Minis, and they don't want sales to slump if people hear they're being discontinued.

I mean, the new specs they give are here nor there really. I don't want the Mini to be discontinued, but I don't entirely trust this rumour.

happydude
Oct 24, 2008, 09:16 AM
we're looking at making one our media center and are hoping for an update!!

Undecided
Oct 24, 2008, 09:16 AM

But only the AppleTV lets you rent HD movies from iTunes, and the AppleTV is a lot less expensive.

EdwardsNH
Oct 24, 2008, 09:17 AM

I've been waiting forever for an update. Just couldn't wait any longer. Just ordered an ASUS P5Q-EM motherboard (G45 chipset includes the x4500HD GPU and HDMI out 7.1 audio out)

Also got an E7200 (2.53 Ghz) and 2x2GB sticks, all for under $300.

Pop it behind my TV (have an RJ-45 jack back there) and use one of the remote mouse apps with my Touch.

Sorry Apple, you get my mp3 player money, but not my computer money.

ps - I need a better case, my old one is butt ugly

corinhorn
Oct 24, 2008, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't get too wound up about the loss of Firewire just yet. Despite the emotional outbursts about its removal on the MacBook, Apple does not consider FW to be professional only. If they did, they wouldn't have FW 800 on the iMac.Those iMacs are old, the new rumored iMacs would more properly show Apple's FireWire future.

Schizoid
Oct 24, 2008, 09:20 AM
Never mind firewire, look at this... it's a cube... A CUBE I TELL YOU!

eastcoastsurfer
Oct 24, 2008, 09:24 AM

ROFL, this is the funniest thing I've read in awhile. Apple should just make 1 mac model and have it's price be at $3000. That way each consumer can be 'challenged' to own the coolest computer.

cosmonaut23
Oct 24, 2008, 09:24 AM
Without wishing to be pedantic, it looks somewhat more like a cuboid.

ok, I'm being pedantic.

Schizoid
Oct 24, 2008, 09:25 AM
Without wishing to be pedantic, it looks somewhat more like a cuboid.

ok, I'm being pedantic.

my GOD - you've got it!! brilliant!!
the new Apple Cuboid® can I order one please?

cosmonaut23
Oct 24, 2008, 09:27 AM
my GOD - you've got it!! brilliant!!
the new Apple Cuboid® can I order one please?

I'm only interested if they're infinitely stack-able.

bergmef
Oct 24, 2008, 09:32 AM
I'm only interested if they're infinitely stack-able.

One thing, pull out the dvd player and sell it seperately. But the same form factor for stacking. Then allow cpu module to be connected via eSATA for the speed and enable parallel processing in snow leopard.

Did I miss anything?

wahoo

EDIT - Forgot to mention, no cables when you stack them, the connectors are embedded.

zombitronic
Oct 24, 2008, 09:33 AM
Recording TV? How? I'd love a mac tivo without the tivo...

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/home.en.html

This is all I'm asking for. Just a spec update. I'll take care of the rest, myself.

Two Page 1 articles about the Mini in a week! This is historic. Or futile. I forget which.

darkblu
Oct 24, 2008, 09:34 AM
It doesn't discount it though. Apple currently make a $599 mini which isn't $500.

So if they released a $600 Mini replacement it's not $500. If he meant $600 he would have said $600.
don't try to seek too deep into a dumb publicity statement, which, in retrospective, stever may wish he did not utter.

the original G4 mini was introduced in the $500 range, and it was a fine machine for its time. saying the g4 mini was inadequate in any form or shape would be equivalent to saying that apple's g4 books of the period, which the mini was the desktop repackage of, were lousy machines too.

if you ask me, i think that generally stever & co uttered quite some BS in public over the span of the past two weeks. those firewire-is-a-goner, cant-do-$500 and the with-our-macbooks-we-are-after-the-college-kids statements will haunt apple's public image many a year ahead, me thinks.

highjumppudding
Oct 24, 2008, 09:36 AM
i can see them giving it one more shot.... and see the response from consumers.

AidenShaw
Oct 24, 2008, 09:37 AM

...in the sense of green computing.

For any x64 OS other than OSX, a colo site would most likely put multiple virtual machines on a 1U or 2U server - resulting in the waste of far less electricity.

Since DRM-happy Apple won't let OSX desktop run in a VM, and only lets OSX server run in a VM on an Apple-labeled box, this option is not available for reasonably priced OSX colocation.

Sad.

Cheffy Dave
Oct 24, 2008, 09:38 AM
in the past week I have found it interesting how the posters on MacRumors are a bit more level headed than what you see on AppleInsider.

Noticed that huh?, and I'd like to add the friendliest;). Every time I have asked for help/advice, I got it. Since switching 11 months ago, (as well as well before that) it has been a source of news,hopes,dreams and advice. I love this forum (my first BTW) and lovingly spend way to much time here, and getting back to topic, with a release of a new Mini, I'll take 3, with the new display, for each of my 3 Granddaughters in Pennsylvania.;) That's what Grampa's are for!:cool:

AtHomeBoy_2000
Oct 24, 2008, 09:38 AM
THey better start including the keyboard and mouse. The fact that they charge $600 for a "low end" computer and then make you pay an extra $100 for a mouse and keyboard is a freakin' joke.

smueboy
Oct 24, 2008, 09:39 AM
No, and two thoughts:

1) The mini isn't really a $500 computer, because you still need monitor etc. I took him to mean a "complete" computer.

2) Whenever steve says something like that he means "we've figured it out, but won't perfect it for another 2-6 months, at which point we'll release it."

Exactly. The real benefit of the mini as a 'computer' seems to be for non-standard applications, such as a HTPC or for businesses. But i wonder whether it will be 2 or 6 months for a new mini to be released. It may be true that they will want to update the iMac and/or MacPro first. Whatever Apple does, i actually doubt that they will reduce the price of the Mac Mini much, if at all, if they update it significantly with new hardware.
Either way, i'm waiting to see what happens...

Schizoid
Oct 24, 2008, 09:39 AM
One thing, pull out the dvd player and sell it seperately. But the same form factor for stacking. Then allow cpu module to be connected via eSATA for the speed and enable parallel processing in snow leopard.

Did I miss anything?

wahoo

EDIT - Forgot to mention, no cables when you stack them, the connectors are embedded.

I'm terribly sorry, we can't have stackable connector interfaces, due to the revolutionary construction of the new Mac Mini.

Most consumers don't want useful things like firewire and stackability, they want single-unit unibody extruded aloooominum enclosures

Steve

Cheffy Dave
Oct 24, 2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks for basically reading my mind and 'shopping that together; saves me the time. The only thing is the whole top-is-a-screen thing is really goofy. I think the aluminum-with-glass-top could very well be true, maybe (hopefully) with a glowing Apple logo under the glass. But no screen.

Nicely done but leave out the phone icon;)

cosmonaut23
Oct 24, 2008, 09:44 AM
THey better start including the keyboard and mouse. The fact that they charge $600 for a "low end" computer and then make you pay an extra $100 for a mouse and keyboard is a freakin' joke.

Too right. Keyboard an mouse really shouldn't be asking that much for the price. Or maybe they're just concerned it would ruin the shape of the neat consumer box it comes in.

And did I mention it should have Firewire?

Clive At Five
Oct 24, 2008, 09:45 AM
I've been waiting for a MacMini update since last Christmas. Having been tainted by neglect, I built an xHack and now could care less. Still spiteful, I'll believe the new MacMini rumors when I see it on apple.com.

-Clive

Arnaud
Oct 24, 2008, 09:46 AM

This is one of the reasons I wanted a Mini. We moved into a new house, and the iMac I used to record TV is too far now from a TV plug. I'd love a Mini (with good specs) to record, as well as show my movies on our Full HD screen. Right now, I use the MacBook (with EyeTV, Plex, VLC when needed) - which does a very good job at it (including 1080 .mkv) - but I really, really hate all the visible cables, which always get stuck when you turn the TV, plus having to leave the MacBook on the side etc...

I do vote for a slightly better Mini, although I don't really believe it's coming.

Cheffy Dave
Oct 24, 2008, 09:52 AM
I really hope the mini sticks around. So far I've switched over my father, mother, mother-in-law, wife and sister. All of whom did so by getting a mini. It's too hard to convince someone to get an iMac with the price of lcd screens these days.

Viva la mini

I have turned on, an even dozen of my friends to the new Mac OS,(not counting my Wife and Middle School Teacher/daughter) Here's the score card.
5 BMB refurb's, 4, 2.4 GHz,1 2.2 GHz
7 Mini C2D (3 bought Keyboards,mice and Airport Extreme's)2 bought displays

Too nice a little system for Apple to turn it's back on,IMHO;):apple::apple::apple:

rhpenguin
Oct 24, 2008, 09:56 AM

This is all I'm asking for. Just a spec update. I'll take care of the rest, myself.

Two Page 1 articles about the Mini in a week! This is historic. Or futile. I forget which.

Just get an average used PC box, Install Mythbuntu.. Download OS X Binary of Mythfrontend and watch TV.

Piece of cake.

jzuena
Oct 24, 2008, 09:57 AM
I want HDMI 1.3

DisplayPort does carry audio. The bigger question is whether DisplayPort is HDCP compatible. If it is, it shouldn't be hard to make a HDMI to DisplayPort cable or adapter and still expect protected content to work (which, as distasteful as HDCP is, would be required for the _perfect_ HTPC).

decimortis
Oct 24, 2008, 09:57 AM
Just get an average used PC box, Install Mythbuntu.. Download OS X Binary of Mythfrontend and watch TV.

*blink

allmIne
Oct 24, 2008, 09:58 AM

You'd save virtually no money by not including an optical drive, and there's very little chance of saving any space either, because that would almost certainly require two casing designs, were it to be an option.

Cheffy Dave
Oct 24, 2008, 09:59 AM

i Mac's done, no way Jose:cool:

allmIne
Oct 24, 2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah, great, so when my daughter climbs behind the AV cabinet and trips over the cord I lose access. It's not a portable computer, so why a need for magsafe? (although I agree with you there should be a nice way to connect it to the ACD)

I'm fairly sure not everybody places their mini in their AV cabinet. Certainly not in the UK, where we all tend to use Sky+ / HD instead.

The mini is tiny, and if you're not fussy about your wires, could easily be pulled off a desk.

Hattig
Oct 24, 2008, 10:04 AM
Release a new Mac Mini with the 9400M, 2GB RAM standard, new styling (inevitable), 250GB-320GB HD (if 2.5") or 500GB-1TB (if 3.5"), 2GHz Core 2 Duo or higher, and an adaptor for Mini-Displayport -> DVI (as an adaptor is required for basic operation unless you buy the new Apple display), for under $600, and I'm buying one.

Bonus:

Discrete graphics (due to space savings from using 9400M and maybe SFF Core 2 Duo) would be nice, but not necessary. Maybe as a $100 option.

MagSafe connector - although it is a desktop system this would allow Apple to simply use the MacBook power adaptor, saving money. Also makes the Apple display more appealing.

Firewire - if this is removed I would want the new Mac Mini (9400M, 2GHz, 2GB) to cost $500, not $600. If it is included it will probably be FW400 to not be too good.

rhpenguin
Oct 24, 2008, 10:06 AM
*blink

It's really simple.. The Mythbuntu installer is just as easy to use as the OS X installer. Mythbackend is also retarded easy to get setup. all you have to do is keep hitting enter during the initial setup and add channels.

Doing satellite is a bit trickier, but that's how I roll! As a matter of fact, I'm watching TSN on my second monitor on the Hacintosh right now via my Mythserver (running my own custom Linux Distro :D) in the basement.

milo
Oct 24, 2008, 10:06 AM
What about faster wifi? That's a huge liability right now.

I'm pretty disappointed that they're just updating it, they really should scrap it for a new design that doesn't require laptop parts. Until that happens this unit will always be uncompetitive - poor bang for your buck.

DaBrain
Oct 24, 2008, 10:14 AM
Noticed that huh?, and I'd like to add the friendliest;). Every time I have asked for help/advice, I got it. Since switching 11 months ago, (as well as well before that) it has been a source of news,hopes,dreams and advice. I love this forum (my first BTW) and lovingly spend way to much time here, and getting back to topic, with a release of a new Mini, I'll take 3, with the new display, for each of my 3 Granddaughters in Pennsylvania.;) That's what Grampa's are for!:cool:

Say Grampa, did you know that I am your long last grandchild? ;):D:)

BenRoethig
Oct 24, 2008, 10:27 AM

With most of the potential buyers there would be no second computer to use CD/DVD sharing with.

mdntcallr
Oct 24, 2008, 10:28 AM
Please please please discontinue the Mac Mini today....

And give me an awesome updated model!

Or, a mid range Macintosh. PLZ!

I'D LIKE BOTH!!
actually these lil mac mini's are very helpful, they can be home servers, media centers which can be programmed remotely ( a friend's company uses them for hotels, restaurants, and more for music playback which can be updated from afar)

but.... i really want a very nice and powerful Midrange Mac Tower. which they stopped offering years ago, but now mac market has regrown big time by now.

demiphonic
Oct 24, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'd like to see one with black glass...

yeah I hear yuh :) however I think a Mini with a finish like this (http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-301313U-Poulton-Firewire400-External/dp/B00170H0O6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224862372&sr=8-4) would be cool as well :p

!” V ”!
Oct 24, 2008, 10:36 AM

If the revised MM has a SATA Optical and Magnetic Drive, including support for a 30" ACD I might be getting this for XMAS "08.

these were the only 3 things that turned me off from the MM, the CPU performance was fine for my requirements the lack of support for a 30" ACD was not. I already have a 24" iMac (White) and dislike the glass front on the new 24" ACD.

Crossing my fingers. :D

gpfradgley
Oct 24, 2008, 10:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I just wanna say to Apple that it would be a crying shame if the mini was discontinued. The mini was my first Mac, is still running well 3 years on and if this price point had never existed I may have never experienced Mac. I'd been a sole of user and wanted to see what the fuss was about. 3 years on I no longer have a single pc they are all Macs. My of media centre was also replaced - by Apple TV!!!

eastcoastsurfer
Oct 24, 2008, 10:42 AM
if you ask me, i think that generally stever & co uttered quite some BS in public over the span of the past two weeks. those firewire-is-a-goner, cant-do-$500 and the with-our-macbooks-we-are-after-the-college-kids statements will haunt apple's public image many a year ahead, me thinks.

I agree! SJ said something along the lines that you can't make a $500 computer and not have it be crap. He messed up, since it's plenty possible to make one and make money on it, but not make Apples 30% margins on one. Since SJ is insanely rich he probably doesn't notice that the economy is slowing. Premium products are going to suffer. People will hold off spending money for a new iPod, want cheaper phone plans (no iPhone then), and make do with their current computer. Apple needs to be careful to not price themselves out of the current market share they have worked so hard to build.

umbilical
Oct 24, 2008, 10:54 AM
nooo!!!!!!!!! I dont have a mac mini, but I think that is a great great! option for get a cheap mac for normal use, surfing web, or for secretary... office work.. etc... or for hosting... etc...

I want see a refresh of mac mini

Steve Jobs=God
Oct 24, 2008, 11:02 AM

My thoughts exactly,

I think some people just want away with it and read into it differently when Apples other products

MBP Stock stops being shipped to retailers = "Oh must be a refresh coming"
Mac Mini stocks stops being shipped to retailers = "Must be being discontinued"

Bad Paper
Oct 24, 2008, 11:03 AM
long live the Mini

brasscat
Oct 24, 2008, 11:03 AM
Maybe I'm not the first to think this, but it would be very cool if the new mini included the same MagSafe power port as the laptops, making them fully compatible with the new monitors.

Jowl
Oct 24, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'm fairly sure not everybody places their mini in their AV cabinet. Certainly not in the UK, where we all tend to use Sky+ / HD instead.

We do?

I better go tell my Mini!

bigwig
Oct 24, 2008, 11:07 AM
- More Firewire ports (now it only has one)
Since FW devices can be daisy-chained, why do you need more ports?

ShukuenShinobi
Oct 24, 2008, 11:08 AM
Maybe I'm not the first to think this, but it would be very cool if the new mini included the same MagSafe power port as the laptops, making them fully compatible with the new monitors.

While that would be cool, wouldn't the use of MagSafe on a desktop computer pose risk of it going "pop!" and then the entire computer shuts down...in order to make the MagSafe adapter functional, they would need a backup battery in the Mini that lasts 10 minutes or so as back up in case the adapter gets popped out.

Bitmap Frog
Oct 24, 2008, 11:10 AM
It was my first mac as well, some place I used to work had all the guys doing office work on minis. The guy who owned the gig liked they were silent.

bankshot
Oct 24, 2008, 11:11 AM
Sounds like wishful thinking on a certain hosting provider's part.

"We don't know how to build a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk." Hmm!

If true, combine with Mac Mini to be Discontinued? (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/21/mac-mini-to-be-discontinued/) and Mac Mini Not Dead Yet? (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/21/mac-mini-not-dead-yet/). That means major redesign, not a minor refresh, which also means...

Goodbye Firewire, it was nice knowing you. This, despite the fact that your premature demise is contrary to Apple's positioning as the easiest way for consumers to make movies of their kids/vacations/honeymoon, as well as ads like this (http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac/betterresults_480x376.mov). And I could swear they had one about connecting your existing peripherals (ie, Firewire DV cam) to Macs and "it just works" but that seems to be myteriously missing... :eek:

Still glad I bought my refurb mini last month. Works great, has Firewire for sure, and no more waiting forever. :D

Cave Man
Oct 24, 2008, 11:16 AM
Since FW devices can be daisy-chained, why do you need more ports?

Hard drives are, but not other devices (e.g., video cameras, web cameras, etc.). Have to have a hub if you want to use those things (which aren't too expensive, but require another power cable).

bigwig
Oct 24, 2008, 11:16 AM
Despite the emotional outbursts about its removal on the MacBook, Apple does not consider FW to be professional only. If they did, they wouldn't have FW 800 on the iMac.
Right. I believe Apple considers Firewire a desktop feature rather than a pro feature. Apple doesn't want you using Macbooks as desktop replacements, but they're OK if you use a Macbook Pro for that.

cosmonaut23
Oct 24, 2008, 11:17 AM
My thoughts exactly,

I think some people just want away with it and read into it differently when Apples other products

MBP Stock stops being shipped to retailers = "Oh must be a refresh coming"
Mac Mini stocks stops being shipped to retailers = "Must be being discontinued"

You've gotta admit though, they've shown a distinct lack of interest in it for some time now. I count two laptop refreshes since the last Mini refresh. And all without so much as a price drop. Must be nice having such loyal customers.

Doctor Q
Oct 24, 2008, 11:18 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3D: Godzilla/5.0; AppleWebKit/525.18.1; stereoscopic glasses 3.1.1) Mothra/5F136 Safari 3D)

If they get updated I think apple will be getting a chunk of change from me. The are a great replacement for those people who don't really need a blazing fast computer and want to switch to the mac.And, apparently, also you. ;)

MacMiniColo.net's financial interest in the Mac mini may make them more likely to know its future, but at the same time it may mean that they have reason to avoid looking like a lame duck if the product is due to be phased out. It's hard to judge conflicting rumors based only on their claim.

It's also hard to know what ports/connectors Apple would likely put, or not put, on a new mini, because they won't necessarily make the same changes they've made in the MacBook line. The mini meets different market requirements.

backdraft
Oct 24, 2008, 11:18 AM
I hope they are not discontinued they have the perfect form factor for digital signage applications especially when used in tandem with Sedna Presenter: http://www.sedna.de/

More Info:
http://www.activatethespace.com/Activate_The_Space/_sedna_.html

Looking to set this up for a huge setup. Dropping the Mac Mini would put a serious dent on the project.

cosmonaut23
Oct 24, 2008, 11:19 AM
Right. I believe Apple considers Firewire a desktop feature rather than a pro feature. Apple doesn't want you using Macbooks as desktop replacements, but they're OK if you use a Macbook Pro for that.

Still amounts to a downgrade though, doesn't it?

jpine
Oct 24, 2008, 11:29 AM

In other words, I strongly disagree with the statement that they are still popular and sell quite well. Especially compared to anything else in the store. I've sold more AppleCares for iPod Shuffles than I have sold Mac Mini units. And that's saying something!

You must have sold 2 of the 5 to me. ;)

CWallace
Oct 24, 2008, 11:39 AM
This strikes me as the reporting equivalent of the financial "dead cat bounce".

If the Mini still had any serious role in Apple's line-up, why would they wait 444 days to update it? It just doesn't make any sense.

Yes, I know some will say "but the Mac Pro went 500+ days", but that was because Apple was at the mercy of Intel releasing a chipset and CPU.

The Mac Mini uses the same chipsets and CPUs that the MacBook and MacBook Pro and iMac use so as those machines were updated there was nothing stopping them from being used in an updated Mac Mini. And yet, Apple just ignored it. Ignored it to the point they likely are having issues getting those parts anymore.

So yes, this could be forcing Apple's hand to update the Mac Mini because they can't build any more current models due to no more Memroms and i95x chipsets being available.

But again, why wait? What did it gain Apple? Either sales are strong enough to justify keeping the model and updating it or they are not. I posit that the model is not selling and therefore Apple has made the decision to end of life it. And that it's selling so slowly that a year after Apple might have made that decision (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/15/mac-mini-end-of-life/), they are still sitting on inventory...

Xavier
Oct 24, 2008, 11:39 AM
Please give it a graphics card, or the graphics similar to that of the new Macbook.

I would LOVE to get a new Mac Mini

dustyrobot
Oct 24, 2008, 11:42 AM
Why not just combine these two products? Network media hub, with computing to boot...
just sayin'

tapsevarg
Oct 24, 2008, 11:42 AM
The Mac Mini is worth it's weight in gold simply as a HTPC.

It seems there are 3 real applications for the Mac Mini - business as mentioned in the appleinsider article, entry level desktop PC (my sister just bought one, she wanted an Apple but already had a monitor), and it's amazing as a HTPC.

Now being that my use is primarily as a HTPC, here's what I want (and have been waiting patiently):
UPGRADED GPU
CPU AND MEMORY BUMPS
INTERNAL PSU
IMPROVED SOUND
HDTV TUNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I would like Blu Ray as well.

Make the Mini bigger.... who cares. It could be twice it's current size and still fit wonderfully anywhere you need it.

Apple failed in their approach to the Mini. It was marketed at two different people.... those who are cheap and cheapest. Not actually a horrible plan in reality. But so many other people need an Apple like the Mini and Apple missed out. Instead they built it with outdated components and sold it as the cheap alternative.

Make the Mini a little bigger and move it in between the :apple:tv and MacPro... which means move it close to the Mac Pro. Give the :apple:tv web browsing and you will cover the market. Why Apple took the approach that it would force consumers into purchases regarding Macs is beyond me. iMacs and Mac Books have plenty of options that cover the spectrum. But with the stand alone desktop.... they offered the minimum and the maximum and nothing in between. Not smart. Apple only makes up a small percentage of the computer market. They need to get into as many homes as possible.

sam10685
Oct 24, 2008, 12:21 PM
Bump the standard memory to 2 gigs; faster processor; larger standard HD; I'm on board. (lower price too??)

teohyc
Oct 24, 2008, 12:41 PM
if it's still alive, I won't expect it for another 2 months. Or else it will take away the limelight and marketing moment for the current laptops

hiptobesquare
Oct 24, 2008, 12:56 PM
I have been waiting for a Mac Mini upgrade for some time. I want to make the jump to HDTV, and other upgrades... but I want a computer that will REPLACE components, not just add another component, like AppleTV does.

Here is what I would like to see, and if apple comes close, I will be happy, and buy one.

1: A slightly more versatile case design. The mini looks nicely minimalist, but it is not very upgradeable without a puttyknife. Shouldn't be necessary. From the company that brought us the G3/4 series cases, and the G5/MacPro cases that are all VERY simple to open. Even the G4 Cube was easy to open if you disconnected it, and turned it upside-down. I would not have a problem with a slightly larger case, within reason. It should still be quiet, and should still be elegantly simple. But also simple to open.

2: Brought up to date. Penryn, and Nehalem-ready, or whatever the near-term approaching, easy for Apple to speed-bump. Maybe even Quad-core optional, at a price that comes up into iMac territory, for a headless computer below the MacPro. Perhaps BTO only for quad-core. I would settle for Quad-core compatible for third party upgrade.

3: DDR3 RAM, up to 8GB or even 16GB (4 RAM slots x 4GB modules) capacity, for future capability. Apple doesn't need to configure it with that much RAM at the time of sale... but the mere compatibility would be a good thing. Maybe they only sell it with 4x512MB (2GB), or 4x1GB (4GB) configuration, but if someone wanted to spend a boat-load of cash for 4x2GB (8GB), or 4x4GB (16GB), the computer could address it and use it.

Plus it would be less expensive to offer 1 or 2 gigabytes of RAM on 4 smaller capacity, cheaper modules, instead of only two, or one, and probably can take advantage of paired memory schemes. than a single, or un-matched pairs.

4: New NVidia subsystem and graphics, of course. Similar to MacBook and MBP, low option for base graphics, upgradeable to HybridSLI, or whatever they are calling the switchable video system... OR at least an option for a nice dedicated GPU system. MiniDisplayPort for compatibility with new Apple display. MiniDisplayPort adapters to VGA, DVI, or HDMI, Dual DVI, or Dual MDP, to run dual monitors, apple or otherwise. It is ridiculous that the only Mac that can run dual matched monitors is the MacPro.

The option should be there for video performance and dual displays at full speed, or to down-option it for headless use for less money.

5: Ports. All the essentials. USB, of course. E-sata AND FW800, preferably on a chipset that can just be enabled to run FW1600 or 3200, either right away, or at a future date. FW800 is the base, and FW400 users can port-adapt to FW400 devices. It would be nice to have FW400 and FW800 ports, to maintain separate bus speeds, but if I have to choose one, FW800+ has to be it.
It has to keep audio in/out hybrid analog/optical digital. It has to replace my AirPort Express, hooked to my optical-input home theater audio receiver.
It should of course have bluetooth and Wifi-N standard, as well as Gigabit Ethernet. It should have software that can allow the machine to receive AirTunes, and Video streams from other computers on the local network. A SUPER AirPort Express/AppleTV.
It also should definitely keep the IR port, for FrontRow and other home-theater options.

All the things that would make it a GREAT media machine would also probably make it a nice headless desktop, and nicely externally expandable headless server.

6: SATA internal bus.
two drive bays. One for a 3.5" or 2x2.5" hard drives. The second drive bay for an optical drive, or to repurpose for at least one more internal hard drive in place of the optical drive, and a little plate to block the drive slot. I am not sure one could fit two 2.5" hard drives in place of a laptop-style slot-loaded optical drive.

One could run
1x3.5", and 1 optical
2x2.5", and 1 optical
1x3.5", and 1 2.5" instead of optical,
or 3x 2.5" hard drives internally. In addition to external expandability.

Optical drive should be an optional BluRay drive, and HDCP compatible system, to output to an HDTV via MiniDisplay port adapted to DVI or HDMI.

Or you can BTO remove the optical drive, and run optical drive sharing like MacBook Air, to lower costs and moving parts. A headless server might not even need an optical drive at all, if the initial setup can be done by borrowing the optical drive of another mac, like MBA can, or use a removable external optical drive via e-Sata, Firewire, or USB2.

I think the machine should be very configurable, with a good hardware base. Drive systems, and video subsystems should be variable from absent or very basic, to fully involved for a media center or desktop system.

It CANNOT lose firewire, like MacBook did. One can argue for space and power conservation in a laptop. (I still think it was a mistake for MB to lose Firewire, though)

In a desktop, especially a versatile one, it becomes less of an issue of space, and no battery life consideration. Such a mini desktop might actually take up a slight bit of the slack of the people who want a portable little computer with some audio and video capabilities. it isn't a laptop, but if you have the equipment, displays, and peripherals in more than one place, a small box is easy enough to tote between work areas.

Lesser Evets
Oct 24, 2008, 01:17 PM
"We don't know how to build a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk." Hmm!

"Junk" is a highly variable word. One man's junk is another man's tool.... or whatever.

I believe Apple could make very nice, low-low-end computers for under $500. They would be a joke to all but kids, but they would be cheap and Apple.

MM123
Oct 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
This strikes me as the reporting equivalent of the financial "dead cat bounce".

If the Mini still had any serious role in Apple's line-up, why would they wait 444 days to update it? It just doesn't make any sense.

Yes, I know some will say "but the Mac Pro went 500+ days", but that was because Apple was at the mercy of Intel releasing a chipset and CPU.

The Mac Mini uses the same chipsets and CPUs that the MacBook and MacBook Pro and iMac use so as those machines were updated there was nothing stopping them from being used in an updated Mac Mini. And yet, Apple just ignored it. Ignored it to the point they likely are having issues getting those parts anymore.

So yes, this could be forcing Apple's hand to update the Mac Mini because they can't build any more current models due to no more Memroms and i95x chipsets being available.

But again, why wait? What did it gain Apple? Either sales are strong enough to justify keeping the model and updating it or they are not. I posit that the model is not selling and therefore Apple has made the decision to end of life it. And that it's selling so slowly that a year after Apple might have made that decision (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/15/mac-mini-end-of-life/), they are still sitting on inventory...

Do you have any relevant or internal information about it? I guess no, it's just your thoughts, without any background.

Bodie
Oct 24, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'm hoping for a Mac Midi.

A small tower for around $1200.

sighlent
Oct 24, 2008, 01:45 PM

Yeah the xMac has been a pipe dream for the mac user for over a decade now. I have a feeling its not ever going to happen. You're either someone who needs expansion and upgradability (Mac Pro) and you're someone who doesn't (iMac, Mac mini).

I would love a new Mac mini (especially with a new nvidia chipset that can do some serious HD video decoding). I'm on this precipice of deciding what to do with my G5. I'm thinking of leaving it as is with a 2TB (4x 500GB) eSATA storage and use it as a UPnP server, get a good Media Streamer/Player box for my TV once they really get good. That or I sell the G5, get a Mac mini and a Drobo (shove all the drives into that), assuming the Mac mini will still have Firewire.

Eidorian
Oct 24, 2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah the xMac has been a pipe dream for the mac user for over a decade now. I have a feeling its not ever going to happen. You're either someone who needs expansion and upgradability (Mac Pro) and you're someone who doesn't (iMac, Mac mini).I wouldn't say a decade. There came a certain point where the differences between the iMac G5 and the single processor Power Mac G5 boiled down to a built-in screen vs. expandability at around the same price. That was only 4-5 years ago. ;)

schneb

Read this article. If this pans out, it will be awesome and Apple will reap huge bucks! (http://www.macworld.com/article/136288/2008/10/nvidia_macmini.html)

BenRoethig
Yeah the xMac has been a pipe dream for the mac user for over a decade now. I have a feeling its not ever going to happen. You're either someone who needs expansion and upgradability (Mac Pro) and you're someone who doesn't (iMac, Mac mini).

A decade? Apple stopped making affordable PowerMacs three years ago.

MacBiscuit
Oct 24, 2008, 02:05 PM
A Mini (and a low end MacBook for that matter) is necessary in the line-up. I've stuck with the Apple platform because I know that even when finances are stretched, I can still acquire another compatible machine if necessary. If the low end machines are phased out I may switch back to Windows because that safety net has gone.

Yes I do have a Mac Mini, but I also have an iBook and an iMac, so the strategy of having entry level machines has worked, and should be maintained, even if the machines themselves are slower sellers.

We'll need a new laptop soon. If the mini and the white macbook are phased out with no similarly priced machines to replace them it'll have to be a Windows machine. I can't maintain a commitment to an OS with such a high entry price...

schneb
Oct 24, 2008, 02:15 PM
yeah I hear yuh :) however I think a Mini with a finish like this (http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-301313U-Poulton-Firewire400-External/dp/B00170H0O6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1224862372&sr=8-4) would be cool as well :p

A photo from MacWorld 2009...

http://www.crystalinks.com/monolith2001br.jpg

mjteix
Oct 24, 2008, 02:15 PM
Read this article. If this pans out, it will be awesome and Apple will reap huge bucks! (http://www.macworld.com/article/136288/2008/10/nvidia_macmini.html)

NO.

Those are DESKTOP chipsets made for DESKTOP cpus (LGA775), you know those big cpus with TDPs of 65/95/130W...
The "small" motherboard they are talking about is a microATX one (9.6" x 9.6") that's found in mini tower PCs.
This has nothing to do with the Mac mini.

G5power
Oct 24, 2008, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't say a decade. There came a certain point where the differences between the iMac G5 and the single processor Power Mac G5 boiled down to a built-in screen vs. expandability at around the same price. That was only 4-5 years ago. ;)

Ahh yes waiting and watching for Apple to either update the G5 PowerMac 1.8 with more speed, RAM and a bigger drive or cut the price by a few hundred to make it competitive.

They never did and finally the model went away and people spoke of it being a poor selling computer.

Sound familiar?? Just like with the Mini, throttle something and sell it for enough money you become right that "no one wants that".

Courtaj
Oct 24, 2008, 03:14 PM
I would LOVE to get a new Mac MiniYou can. They sell them. New. At the Apple Store.

nanofrog
Oct 24, 2008, 03:15 PM
What?

The 'MINI DisplayPort' is THE DisplayPort, right?. It shouldn't be as 'proprietary' as the VESA mounting plate layouts on the backs of monitors.
DisplayPort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport) is a standard, and can be used royalty free. Mini DisplayPort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort) is proprietary connector used with DisplayPort.

Hopefully, this will help. ;)
The :apple:TV has HDMI ;)
Yes, and it's the only Apple product that does ATM.

daleremote
Oct 24, 2008, 03:46 PM
Give me a Mac mini with full touch screen top, running Koi Pond when idle.

manhattanboy
Oct 24, 2008, 04:08 PM
I think the mini should stay alive... but the problem is that it is bumping up against apple TV.... for a little more you get a computer.
They should just merge the 2 at a lower price point than the mini but a higher than the Apple tv.

ericinboston
Oct 24, 2008, 04:57 PM
Q6600 desktop for ~US$450 from Dell...

Come on Apple.

I totally agree...I bought a Mac Mini in August 2007 maxed out on specs...I like it but I don't LOVE it...mainly because of poor hard drive performance. Drive size and ram limitations are factors, too.

And you are right...you can easily buy a Dell quad-core, 3gig, 600gig SATA drive system for $450...no tax either.

Let's not get into the Windows vs. Mac argument but specs are specs.

Apple should go back to the mid 90's and re-release desktop computers that don't cost $1199 for a bare bones system. Give me a decent (quad core, 3gig ram, SATA hard drive, ability to open case and expand/swap at my leisure) Mac desktop for $500-$800 WITHOUT a monitor and I'll buy 2 tomorrow. Literally.

ericinboston
Oct 24, 2008, 05:02 PM

Why would you pay $1200 for a small tower? I haven't paid $1200 for any tower since about 1999.

Apple needs to get off their butt and release a desktop for the masses that is cheap. Doesn't have to be $399 to compete with HP and Compaq and Acer...but $1200 is ridiculous.

artevolve
Oct 24, 2008, 05:08 PM
First posted 23-10-2008 20:03

at last proof of life after death!:) Look out people for the mac nano! Apple will give us the perfect living room pc/htpc/media centre/hub. Bound to have MacBook or MacBook pro spec without bluray drive ( but Amex digital can provide) - its just a matter of when! The margin for apple would be outstanding (since they save on cost of screen and keyboard) perfect for business and consumers during these lean times and just what they need to compete with the sub £500 junk out there and again satisfy demands of shareholders and mac fans.

The mac mini has always had potential to be apples Trojan horse - hit the living room, hit the switchers, hit those that just want their stuff to do everything, that just works and looks (black) ice cool. It will all be controlled by an updated Remote app on their ipod touch or iphone. Did I mention game-console potential, with app store capability! :apple:

Bubba Satori
Oct 24, 2008, 06:23 PM

For just the tower ? $1200 ?

Melodic
Oct 24, 2008, 06:50 PM

COSIGN! I have 3 firewire drives and 1 firewire DVD burner connected to my G4 mini. if a new one comes out I will be buying it and I just want to continue to use my current setup

Srai-W
Oct 24, 2008, 07:04 PM
Well this is welcome news! From last weeks "Mac Mini is dead" to this. :p Now we just have to wait for the actual announcement from Apple. I wonder if November is likely... catch the xmas sales. :confused:

gkarris
Oct 24, 2008, 07:13 PM

Heck, I'm happy at this point if they just give us another Mini... :eek:

I think that if the new ones don't, all those refurbs (which are probably new ones from Apple Stores) will get scooped up by the folks that still need it.

I've already been using my MiniDVD camcorder and Handbreaking the files for FCE. I can do the same with a flashed based camcorder... :)

With today's economy, Apple wouldn't look too good if a cost for a basic Mac (MacBook or maybe lower priced iMac) is $999. Plus, discontinuing a computer where you can recycle your old monitor and use a lot less energy isn't so "green".

Just keep the Mini at this point.

(fingers crossed...)

Trip.Tucker
Oct 24, 2008, 09:26 PM
To all the nay-sayers...

..... I told you so. As I have been saying for a while, the Mac mini is NOT going away for quite some time.

Daud
Oct 24, 2008, 09:58 PM
Guys, if you really need a new Mini, use M$ cashback Paypal promotion and scoop it for low $400s on ebay Buy it now.

jim.arrows
Oct 24, 2008, 10:02 PM
To all the nay-sayers...

..... I told you so. As I have been saying for a while, the Mac mini is NOT going away for quite some time.

From your lips to Jobs' ears... :p

jyhwkm
Oct 24, 2008, 11:00 PM
Assuming it will be refreshed...

What is the average time between retailers being told not to order more and new models coming out?

Or simply put, if it is refreshed when can I expect to buy it?

Rocketman
Oct 24, 2008, 11:35 PM
I was amused to see the touch-screen top Mac-Mini. Perhaps you would be more satisfied if that was on your remote? Either an iPhone form factor or a 3x screen iPhone form like I want.

Steve in context said essentially he could not make a $500 MacBook (ie. with a display), he would be willing to do.

I agree with the suggestions for a mini-display port with the various interfaces, but based on what we saw at MacBook intro it may have to be third party. Heck, Apple only this rev "enabled USB 2.0!!" I strongly disapprove of that unwarranted delay.

I strongly endorse FW800 as a sole option with a 3200 enabler, eSata interface, and not mere gigabit ethernet, but faster still.

The expansion should DEFINITELY allow two laptop drives in RAID mode in lieu of a larger HD or an optical drive. It should talk to the optical drive in your other Macs as well as all the server pools contained within as well as printers and network connections, possibly even including your iPhone (remote) 3G connection.

Cave Man
Oct 24, 2008, 11:46 PM
And you are right...you can easily buy a Dell quad-core, 3gig, 600gig SATA drive system for $450...no tax either. Let's not get into the Windows vs. Mac argument but specs are specs.

And don't forget the heat, power consumption, large footprint and noise that come with that Dell at no extra expense. Those are all extras for the Mac Mini. :eek:

iDave
Oct 25, 2008, 12:13 AM
Or simply put, if it is refreshed when can I expect to buy it?
I predicted in the now closed mini thread that November 11 would be the day for a new mini. Since that's Veteran's Day, it might be the 18th instead. But I know nothing. It's just an educated guess.

If iMacs are refreshed around then, I doubt we'll see a new mini at the same time. Apple would not want anything to dilute press coverage of the iconic iMac. :rolleyes:

Chances are, we'll see a low-key intro of a new mini in November when the new shiny display is ready to ship and then a big splash at Macworld SF for the iMacs, a new 17" MBP and more new displays.

macklos
Oct 25, 2008, 12:25 AM
mini displayport is port is for sure
usb
and probably a move to a magsafe power connection

this way the new led display can be used to power the mini without that HUGE brick supply!

add express34 slot :apple:!!!

releasing at the same time as new imacs would not be a problem. only thing new in imac will be a processor/memory/graphics change and mini displayport add. nothing major really now that we've all seen the new mb/mbp's

Felix01
Oct 25, 2008, 01:30 AM
I predicted in the now closed mini thread that November 11 would be the day for a new mini. Since that's Veteran's Day, it might be the 18th instead. But I know nothing. It's just an educated guess.

If iMacs are refreshed around then, I doubt we'll see a new mini at the same time. Apple would not want anything to dilute press coverage of the iconic iMac. :rolleyes:

Chances are, we'll see a low-key intro of a new mini in November when the new shiny display is ready to ship and then a big splash at Macworld SF for the iMacs, a new 17" MBP and more new displays.

I think you've called this correct, Dave. One comment though, 18 Nov + pipeline population lag is pretty late to be taking advantage of the holiday buying season, especially in a downturning economy. And people looking at a mini may very well be interested in it as a holiday present. I'm thinking the first week of Nov instead...Tuesday, 4 Nov. We typically start hearing replacement spec chatter 10 - 14 days prior so this is about the right timeframe. Trouble is, that's Election Day in the USA, a terrible time for tech coverage unless Apple truly wants a silent rollout. Or they break with tradition and don't announce on a Tuesday.

Like you, I seriously doubt Apple will release anything during the Veteran's Day week...people will take Monday, 10 Nov off before the official US holiday and make it a long weekend. Again, a bad time for tech press coverage.

So your 18 Nov educated guess may still be right on the money.

alphaod
Oct 25, 2008, 01:46 AM
I hope so, I returned the mini because it felt old. I want new.

Arnaud
Oct 25, 2008, 02:02 AM
Regarding time: my Apple retailer (in Europe) told me in mid-september that they could hardly order a Mini for me, almost impossible to get for them. And that could have been going on for a while. It seems that only Apple Store / big chains provide them easily. So, end-of-line or close-to-update? I've got the feeling Apple does not know itself. (No plans for the future, let's sell as long as it sells?).

deadkenny
Oct 25, 2008, 05:44 AM
Trouble is, that's Election Day in the USA, a terrible time for tech coverage unless Apple truly wants a silent rollout.

You have elections on a tuesday?

Felix01
Oct 25, 2008, 07:06 AM
You have elections on a tuesday?

Yep, sure do (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election,_2008)

deadkenny
Oct 25, 2008, 07:41 AM
Felix: Thank you, funny thing. Over here we have elections excl. on sundays where people (usually) don't have to work.

Anyway: I'm hoping for a new mini as well, fingers crossed for Firewire (such a mess that they ripped it from the MacBook).
Other wishes: QuadCore (will remain a wish as long as not even the iMac has it), 250GB, 320GB and 500GB HD, 4GB Memory and 9400M Chipset. Maybe Magsafe + DisplayPort so it'll fit to the new Cinema Display just as well as the MacBooks do.

My Prediction:

2.0GHz Dualcore, 9400M, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM, SuperDrive for 499€
2.4GHz Dualcore, 9400M, 250GB HD, 2GB RAM, Superdrive for 699€

Cave Man
Oct 25, 2008, 09:50 AM
Now being that my use is primarily as a HTPC, here's what I want (and have been waiting patiently):
UPGRADED GPU

Not needed for video. The current one is perfectly fine, unless you're talking about HDCP, which Steve still has major issues with (and rightfully so).

CPU AND MEMORY BUMPS
INTERNAL PSU

Those are always nice.

IMPROVED SOUND

7.1 surround sound isn't good enough for you? You must be a real videophile.

HDTV TUNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elgato Eye TV Hybrid does the job now.

Of course I would like Blu Ray as well.

This would be a nice addition so that one wouldn't have boot into Windows to rip the Blu-ray discs. But Steve has serious business issues with the way HDCP is implemented at the moment. There's a lot of overhead that comes with it, and that always compromises system performance. Best thing would be for software that disables both HDCP and encryption, if you ask me.

gkarris
Oct 25, 2008, 10:01 AM

Definitely not election week.

Veterans' Day a possibility. I would say the All-In-One Mac is a veteran. iMac price drops and a new Mini.

If not then definitely the week following - just the week before Thanksgiving.

tssfulk
Oct 25, 2008, 12:13 PM
How many people here think that the requirement of a Mac for iPhone dev is helping the Mac Mini stay in the top 5 of Amazon's desktop computer list? Big companies will sell out bucks for a Mac Pro, but small (and 1 person) devs are probably snatching these things up as the cheapest way to start developing for the iPhone.

sighlent
Oct 25, 2008, 12:22 PM
Felix: Thank you, funny thing. Over here we have elections excl. on sundays where people (usually) don't have to work.

Having elections on a Tuesday is one of _many_ things wrong with our electoral process.

CWallace
Oct 25, 2008, 02:28 PM
Do you have any relevant or internal information about it? I guess no, it's just your thoughts, without any background.

Of course it is just my background. Everyone here is spitting into the wind, yourself included.

But look at it objectively - why keep a machine with technology so out of date if it was important to you? Tell me what Apple has gained by keeping the Mac Mini on two-year old hardware with a two-year old price while every other model in their lineup has been upgraded once or twice a year.

When did Apple last actively advertise the Mac Mini? Two years ago? Three years ago? Hell, when did they last talk about it? Sure, it showed up on the slide on the 14th, but notice how they didn't even mention it? Why not? Notice how nobody in the Mac press community even asked about the Mac Mini at the Q&A? Or at MacWorld's Q&A? Or WWDC's Q&A? Or at anytime?

All these sources keep saying "New Mini's Coming!" or "Mini is Dead! Long Live the $999 MacBook!", yet not one of them has bothered to actually try and find out what Apple is thinking. Even a "we can neither confirm nor deny the status of the Mini" from Apple. Not even a "no comment".

Apple's executives doesn't seem to care about it, the professional Apple press community doesn't seem to care about it, and it looks like all but your most niche Apple customer doesn't care about it.

That should tell you something, IMO. And that something is not "New Mini Coming!". :(

Mind you, I'd like to see a new Mini coming because it fits a niche for people, but if Apple feels the model doesn't make sense in a post-PPC world, well...

jojo13
Oct 25, 2008, 02:38 PM
The mini rocks already(except for the combo)
Imagine after :P:P:P

iDave
Oct 25, 2008, 03:10 PM
All these sources keep saying "New Mini's Coming!" or "Mini is Dead! Long Live the $999 MacBook!", yet not one of them has bothered to actually try and find out what Apple is thinking. Even a "we can neither confirm nor deny the status of the Mini" from Apple. Not even a "no comment".

I was surprised there was no question about the mini at this week's conference call. I suppose it's too easy to get shot down with a "no comment" so they prefer to ask something else.

I really think Apple leaves the mini in the lineup because they would rather make a little money selling a mini than no money at all. They don't promote it because the profit on a mini is probably half what it is on an iMac or portable, and a quarter what it is on a Mac Pro.

If, as many are suggesting, Apple upgrades the mini to specs similar to the new low-end MacBook (which I doubt) the price would probably increase to $899 or 999.

QCassidy352
Oct 25, 2008, 04:08 PM
4 GB RAM
mini display
nvidea 9400
2.0-2.4 ghz
faster HD

I'd buy one.

iDave
Oct 25, 2008, 04:12 PM
4 GB RAM
mini display
nvidea 9400
2.0-2.4 ghz
faster HD

I'd buy one.
At what price?

wizard
Oct 25, 2008, 04:33 PM
How many people here think that the requirement of a Mac for iPhone dev is helping the Mac Mini stay in the top 5 of Amazon's desktop computer list? Big companies will sell out bucks for a Mac Pro, but small (and 1 person) devs are probably snatching these things up as the cheapest way to start developing for the iPhone.

Part of my interest in the purchase of a Mac came from the thought that I might do some software development for iPhone. But that was only part of what got me to buy a MBP! First; most of my desktop machines run Linux, Apples MacOS is a very good vehicel in that it's BSD under pinnings are very similar. Second; being an advanced amature photographer I find that some of the best apps to support that are available on the Mac. Third; the MBP comes in a nice package, it isn't just looks but supplied I/O that makes it so. Fourth; yes an interest in IPhone development.

All of the above don't out weigh the fact that I just wanted a portable. The above just made it easier to go with a Mac.

Dave

phrehdd
Oct 25, 2008, 05:03 PM
Mac Mini as is remains a dull butter knife in a cutting edge world. Apple either should give it a real boost in power or let it fade into history.

I would prefer if Apple did the following:

Rebrand the Mac Mini, add it to the ATV line along with additional features.
Both should use the ATV footprint. The new Mac Mini should do everything the ATV does plus computing. Care can be taken to handle DRM material from itunes (rentals as well) and be provided.

The regular ATV serves as a living room only device. The Mac Mini version would serve as either computer or ATV or both.

The new ATV regular should come with 2 gigs of Ram, DVD reader and improved hardware to run 1080p. It should remain a turn key system.

The Mac Mini Version may use the same MoBo and Graphics but would
come with DVD RW and 4 gigs RAM as the base unit. Options would be only to change out the DVD RW to a Blu Ray Reader with DVD RW function.
The challenge here is for Apple to do its usual "control" of itunes and DRM via software in this more "open" system (than the ATV OS).

From a marketing point of view the ATV original but improved is only usable in a living room situation. The Mac Mini version can serve as an ATV or if used as an entry point computer remain as such until an upgrade to iMac follow and be remanded to the living room. This btw is a more green approach as there is no waste (Apple may make less toxic parts in their system but making system become outdated fast is NOT a green position to take) but now they can advertise it as such.

Apple might consider the new Mac Mini ATV to be the real answer to the MS Media Center (sans playing blu ray unless they get software involved). They can also push it into the business world for presentations. It is small enough to use like a laptop but from an AV dept's POV, its a better asset to track.

To avoid competition between the two models is simple- pricing. ATV around 250-300 dollars and the ATV+(Mac Mini) at the same price it is offered now.

Hardware potential
1) Common Mother Board
2) Non shared Graphics memory (output 1080p)
3) output - HDMI, Component, Apple's DVI
4) output - shared analogue/optical-digital audio
5) CPU - ATV 2ghrz, ATV(Mac Mini) 2.4 ghrz
6) Devices - DVD Reader for ATV, DVD RW or blu ray/DVD RW (MM)
7) Devices - 4 USB 2.0, 2 400/800 firewire
8) Comm- N wireless (a,g included), 10/100/1000 ethernet
9) Accessory - Ext Drive case same footprint as ATV that houses (1-3.5 or 2-2.5) with possible USB or Firewire Hub-ability.

Conclusion- Media playback and gaming has become driving points for a large amount of computer users. Apple needs to position products that can be flexible and in some respects improved with updates. This requires appropriate hardware and skilled market positioning. It doesn't take a genius to realize that using the standard ATV with itunes is an expensive proposition. Itunes needs to be reworked to fit into a more modern world of competition and these 2 ATV units provide a good way to start 2009.

Just my two cents.

Phrehdd

MM123
Oct 25, 2008, 05:16 PM
I posit that the model is not selling and therefore Apple has made the decision to end of life it. And that it's selling so slowly that a year after Apple might have made that decision, they are still sitting on inventory... This one sentence moves me to write the reply and I think you are wrong. Of course I don't have any internal information, but #1 selling Mac desktop on Amazon, you can hardly buy it on Refurb Store, because they just sell very quick and the price on eBay gives another view at the so "bad selling" MacMini.
Why is it more than a year without any change? I have no clue, no relevant informations, and my crystal ball is on holiday, so I couldn't answer that question :cool:

Cave Man
Oct 25, 2008, 05:19 PM
All this dreaming is nice but the reality of it is...

If the Mini is updated, it will be a MacBook in a desktop configuration.

I just hope it doesn't lose firewire.

DoFoT9
Oct 25, 2008, 05:34 PM
All this dreaming is nice but the reality of it is...

If the Mini is updated, it will be a MacBook in a desktop configuration.

I just hope it doesn't lose firewire.

i agree. there is NO WAY that apple is going to something out of the ordinary. i just want a flippin' upgrade!! (at the same price would be nice)

yes firewire MUST stay. i will be hooking my 3 FW HD's up to it for sharing over the network, so it needs firewire.

Bodie
Oct 25, 2008, 05:50 PM
Why would you pay $1200 for a small tower? I haven't paid $1200 for any tower since about 1999.

Apple needs to get off their butt and release a desktop for the masses that is cheap. Doesn't have to be $399 to compete with HP and Compaq and Acer...but $1200 is ridiculous.

A 2GHz Mini with 2GB ram and a measly 160GB hard drive with keyboard & mouse sells today for $1022.

With Apples pricing history what do you think a small tower WOULD sell for. I didn't say "I wish". We all "wish". I just said that I would pay $1200 for a small tower that a user could easily expand / replace / upgrade memory, hard drives, video cards etc.

Apple could easily sell a quality tower for $1200 with 4Gigs of ram a hard drive of at least 250Gigs , a fast Core 2 duo processor and the new nvidia gpu's. But they won't. Not now anyway. As the economy dumps, their sales will dump also. If Apple made high quality boxes that were more affordable, then their market share would soar. It aint going to happen right now. And I may be forced to replace my 5 year old PPC with a windows box. Apple is worth billions. But they are greedy. That greed will have an end.