PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Firmware 2.2 Beta 2 Enables Street View

MacRumors
Oct 24, 2008, 08:30 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/24/iphone-firmware-2-2-beta-2-enables-street-view/)

Apple has seeded iPhone 2.2 Firmware Beta 2 and has fully enabled Google Street View. We had previously reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/06/iphone-2-2-hidden-features-google-street-view-emoji-auto-correction-off/) that Beta 1 of iPhone 2.2 had hidden APIs related to the Street View for Google Maps, but was not enabled.

Apple seeded iPhone 2.2 Firmware Beta 2 to developers tonight. The seed notes also indicated that Line-in audio accessories are now supported in the SDK.

Article Link: iPhone Firmware 2.2 Beta 2 Enables Street View (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/24/iphone-firmware-2-2-beta-2-enables-street-view/)

kornyboy
Oct 24, 2008, 08:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm looking forward to this. It will be interesting to see how well it works on the go.

joelypolly
Oct 24, 2008, 08:34 PM
i wonder if google maps will work in china in this update or not

toujames
Oct 24, 2008, 08:34 PM
YAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! Finally!!!!:eek::eek:

Now we just need flashplayer!!!:D

pimentoLoaf
Oct 24, 2008, 08:38 PM
Excellent! It's always difficult to figure a map without a good idea what something is supposed to look like, and having a nice ultra-portable solution would be grand! :cool:

slowpoke
Oct 24, 2008, 08:39 PM
Last time I browse MR under the influence. I thought that was a GTA screenshot...

crisss1205
Oct 24, 2008, 08:40 PM
I just cant wait for this update. While Apple is adding features that we don't really need I guess they won't add something important like, oh IDK MMS or video recording?

mxptt
Oct 24, 2008, 08:41 PM
if only street view was available in toronto ... :(

rdoyle720
Oct 24, 2008, 08:43 PM
YAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! Finally!!!!:eek::eek:

Now we just need flashplayer!!!:D

Before we erupt into a "I want Flash!", "Flash is stupid!" debate....The normal Google Street View does run in the Flash plug-in, does it not?

plumbingandtech
Oct 24, 2008, 08:43 PM
if only street view was available in toronto ... :(

But Tokyo is. That's should be fun to look at too:

http://gizmodo.com/5033655/tour-tokyos-tech-paradise-now-on-google-street-view

starcrossed
Oct 24, 2008, 08:47 PM
I wonder if it will be implemented like the Tmobile G1 android phone, where once it is in street view you can move the phone around physically and the view will correspond with your movement. For example you could stand in one spot and hold the phone up and move your body in 360 degrees, and as you do that you get a 360 degree view of the location. If your still not understanding my explanation following the link, and at the end of the video you'll see it.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1803302901/bctid1812186010

ltldrummerboy
Oct 24, 2008, 08:53 PM
Not much good for iPod touch users. The line-in part sounds great though.

plumbingandtech
Oct 24, 2008, 08:55 PM
Not much good for iPod touch users. The line-in part sounds great though.

Google maps does not work on the iTouch?
:confused::(

I did not know that.

aznkid25
Oct 24, 2008, 08:56 PM
According to the site:
http://pleasefixtheiphone.com/problems/fixed/
There will be a button in the upcoming 2.2 firmware, that will let you batch update in the app store on your iPhone/iPod Touch:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/chinesebrother25/Capture-1.jpg

"In iTunes there is an option to 'update all' applications, after which you can sync your iPhone and have all of the apps updated at once. The ability to batch update will also be available on the iPhone itself in the 2.2 software update."

eff pc
Oct 24, 2008, 08:59 PM
Google Maps street view? really? they just keep putting off the push service aren't they. and MMS even tho we don't know if that's ever coming

Quincy9219
Oct 24, 2008, 09:03 PM
That's pretty. When do I get to play with it. I don't care at all about pretty screen shots, I want to know when it will be mine to play with

Tragedies
Oct 24, 2008, 09:03 PM
According to the site:
http://pleasefixtheiphone.com/problems/fixed/
There will be a button in the upcoming 2.2 firmware, that will let you batch update in the app store on your iPhone/iPod Touch:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/chinesebrother25/Capture-1.jpg

"In iTunes there is an option to 'update all' applications, after which you can sync your iPhone and have all of the apps updated at once. The ability to batch update will also be available on the iPhone itself in the 2.2 software update."

Steve as in Steve Jobs? o.o

xtbfx
Oct 24, 2008, 09:06 PM
Screw street view. Where's PUSH NOTIFICATIONS??? All we know is, it's months overdue. Way to go Apple. :rolleyes:

nickXedge
Oct 24, 2008, 09:09 PM
As cool as this is I think it should be lower on that priority list Apple mentioned a little while back. I know everyones going to mention these but I agree that things like push services, MMS, and copy/paste should be higher as they have more functional use, IMO. Let the riot ensue.

dagamer34
Oct 24, 2008, 09:09 PM
Now, if they combine this with tragectory-based GPS calculations, then the iPhone should automatically know what direction you are traveling in and zero in on what angle to look at in a Google Street View snapshot. Now, that'd really be taking software to the next level.

amac4me
Oct 24, 2008, 09:10 PM
I would think that 2.2 will include push notifications. I know many have been eagerly waiting for this.

Anyone want to guess when the firmware will be released? It would be nice if it was released prior to the end of the year but I think we may end up having to wait until Macworld 09.

uMac
Oct 24, 2008, 09:11 PM
You know, now that the iPhone has GPS and a camera Google could theoretically start mapping out the world with photos.:eek:

geerlingguy
Oct 24, 2008, 09:13 PM
LINE-IN AUDIO!

That's probably one of the best things about any update—for me—on the iPhone so far! If this means I could have a mono line-level input through the 1/8" jack, that means I don't have to buy a Marantz CF card recorder anymore... as long as someone makes a good recording app for the iPhone (for relatively cheap).

The iPhone is becoming more and more an 'everything' killer! A few more years, and you could probably use it as a salt shaker and a water dispenser :D.

iVoid
Oct 24, 2008, 09:15 PM
What good is street view on a portable device?

If you want to see what the street looks from where you are, just put down your iPhone and look with your eyes. :) :) :)

Mostly kidding, but downloadable maps would be more useful that street view.

barefootman
Oct 24, 2008, 09:16 PM
Now, if they combine this with tragectory-based GPS calculations, then the iPhone should automatically know what direction you are traveling in and zero in on what angle to look at in a Google Street View snapshot. Now, that'd really be taking software to the next level.

I think Apple need to make sure that the GPS chip works correctly in the iPhone to start with.

I am in Sydney, Australia and quite a few times, when I start the Maps application, it zooms in on a small village in Hungary! I know it can be out by a few metres, but close to 20,000 kms?!?!:eek:

Really, :apple:, fix the basics and then add the froth on top.

DeekinBlooz
Oct 24, 2008, 09:17 PM
"...Russia from my house" gets removed? I almost fell out of my chair laughing!:D

Bummer!

crisss1205
Oct 24, 2008, 09:20 PM
I think Apple need to make sure that the GPS chip works correctly in the iPhone to start with.

I am in Sydney, Australia and quite a few times, when I start the Maps application, it zooms in on a small village in Hungary! I know it can be out by a few metres, but close to 20,000 kms?!?!:eek:

Really, :apple:, fix the basics and then add the froth on top.

I don't see how the iPhones GPS chip would cause that problem, it sounds like you have a broken phone or maybe the Wi-Fi in the area are making it think its somewhere else. I used to love in a different part of New York and then I moved 23 miles away but sometimes my phone tells me I'm where I used to be because Sky Hook's database has my router at a different location.

plumbingandtech
Oct 24, 2008, 09:23 PM
"...Russia from my house" gets removed? I almost fell out of my chair laughing!:D

Bummer!

Yah. Can you believe that?

I even tied it into the subject of the current thread and everything so it wasn't like it was off subject or offensive.

:rolleyes:

BigD58
Oct 24, 2008, 09:25 PM
Hell yea! Street view is the best part of google!:eek:

kgeier82
Oct 24, 2008, 09:27 PM
while a "cool" feature, its useless to me. Not to mention I bet it sucks the crap out of that battery!

I just want things to be as quick as 1.1.4, then ill be happy. Until that, all these "wanted" extra non-sense features, are really wasting resources.

headfuzz
Oct 24, 2008, 09:28 PM
Street View. Nice, but I'd much rather the firmware update enabled turn by turn navigation so TomTom can get Navigator up on the App Store :cool:

Luke1robb
Oct 24, 2008, 09:28 PM
With the addition of Street View and possibly more features, is it possible that Apple will call a big event to update the firmware and show off some more games? Isn't Need for Speed supposed to be coming out soon along with Tiger Woods? Maybe their waiting on EA... your thoughts?

akac
Oct 24, 2008, 09:30 PM
LINE-IN AUDIO!

That's probably one of the best things about any update—for me—on the iPhone so far! If this means I could have a mono line-level input through the 1/8" jack, that means I don't have to buy a Marantz CF card recorder anymore... as long as someone makes a good recording app for the iPhone (for relatively cheap).

We make a great recording app - Note2Self - and we'll be supporting the line-level recording as soon as 2.2 ships or soon after (depends since we can't release software using new features until that OS is released).

mjteix
Oct 24, 2008, 09:32 PM
LINE-IN AUDIO!

The iPhone is becoming more and more an 'everything' killer! A few more years, and you could probably use it as a salt shaker and a water dispenser :D.

Like this one (http://www.iprorecorder.com/)?

Luke1robb
Oct 24, 2008, 09:32 PM
Street View. Nice, but I'd much rather the firmware update enabled turn by turn navigation so TomTom can get Navigator up on the App Store :cool:

Your thoughts further drive me to believe that this update will be a big event, possibly at the iMac update event in November.... Picture this.... big event for software update with "one more thing" of iMac refresh.

I quote you to point out that there is some serious apps coming to the store soon, including Tiger Woods, Need for Speed, and TomTom... Personally, I think Apple will change the pricing structures so TomTom can charge a monthly fee. Otherwise, what would they charge for the app? It only makes sense.

plumbingandtech
Oct 24, 2008, 09:34 PM
Your thoughts further drive me to believe that this update will be a big event, possibly at the iMac update event in November.... Picture this.... big event for software update with "one more thing" of iMac refresh.

I quote you to point out that there is some serious apps coming to the store soon, including Tiger Woods, Need for Speed, and TomTom... Personally, I think Apple will change the pricing structures so TomTom can charge a monthly fee. Otherwise, what would they charge for the app? It only makes sense.

I know this is an old quote, and things can change, but I am 99% sure the person from TomTom that made the comment that they are working on the iphone version said it would be a flat rate.

Of course i could have misread and they could change their mind, but for other platforms, don't they sell it by the year kinda like iLife '08 and update the maps yearly?
:confused:

crisss1205
Oct 24, 2008, 09:38 PM

At the rate that Apple is going with the push notification and the in-ear headphones in the Apple Store it looks like the event for the update will be Macworld '09. Please make it available before WWDC '09!

Apple Ink
Oct 24, 2008, 09:46 PM
The seed notes also indicated that Line-in audio accessories are now supported in the SDK.

Article Link: iPhone Firmware 2.2 Beta 2 Enables Street View (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/24/iphone-firmware-2-2-beta-2-enables-street-view/)

o_O ???

The new headphones.... probably thats what Apple has been waiting for before releasing the earphones!

mrcharlie91
I was wondering what happens if google take off google maps from iPhones to

compete iphone with their android g1?

I know it's never going to happen, but who would win Apple vs Google?

Iam very curious!:apple:

Luke1robb
At the rate that Apple is going with the push notification and the in-ear headphones in the Apple Store it looks like the event for the update will be Macworld '09. Please make it available before WWDC '09!

I think that is just so extreme to say they will deliver it more than 3 months late... As much as people over-exaggerate it, Apple is still less than a month over due. I see the iMac, firmware update, in-ear headphones, and headphones with controls launches all at one event.... November 25th...

nagromme
If the GPS has compass-heading support (which Apple has said is on the way IIRC) then hopefully as you're standing in the street, Street View in "current location" mode can know which way you're facing and show you what's actually in front of you automatically. You could tell the restaurant you want is right in front of you, without actually having to look up and see it.

This would be awesome. I HATE having to look away from iPhone screen. For any reason. Ever.

Also very useful in dense fogs.

Luke1robb
Oct 24, 2008, 09:49 PM
I was wondering what happens if google take off google maps from iPhones to

compete iphone with their android g1?

I know it's never going to happen, but who would win Apple vs Google?

Iam very curious!:apple:

Google removing Gmaps from the iPhone makes no sense, it would allow for someone else to take market share and also, the G1 is not Google, Android is Google. With the iPhone and Android, Google will soon dominate maps services on all smart phones.

highjumppudding
Oct 24, 2008, 09:51 PM
cool. wonder how well performance is on EDGE?

mrcharlie91
Oct 24, 2008, 09:52 PM
Google removing Gmaps from the iPhone makes no sense, it would allow for someone else to take market share and also, the G1 is not Google, Android is Google. With the iPhone and Android, Google will soon dominate maps services on all smart phones.

I never used google maps before, is it that good?

Apple Ink
Oct 24, 2008, 10:01 PM
I never used google maps before, is it that good?

Its something cool and fun to try but utility.... probably not huge!

PoitNarf
Oct 24, 2008, 10:03 PM
Screw street view. Where's PUSH NOTIFICATIONS??? All we know is, it's months overdue. Way to go Apple. :rolleyes:

It was originally slated for September, it's still just October. Once we reach November then it will be months.

demiphonic
Oct 24, 2008, 10:04 PM
This is really gonna increase the stupid crap we see on youtube :D ...catching people doing all sorts of crazy things on the street :p

well maybe :rolleyes:

lozanoj83
Oct 24, 2008, 10:14 PM
eh
wrong section of the forum!

NeXTCube
Oct 24, 2008, 10:18 PM
...Oh? What wuzzat? Voice dialing? Like on my wife's "free with the plan" Motorola? No? Sorry. Going back to sleep now...

okrelayer
Oct 24, 2008, 10:20 PM
how about push gmail?

DaZe3
Oct 24, 2008, 10:21 PM
they are adding eveything but push notification services.. its like they are avoiding it... but w.e

w00master
Oct 24, 2008, 10:23 PM

Agreed. People also forget that Google makes their money from advertising. The more reach Google has, the better for advertising.

gilbert1020
Oct 24, 2008, 10:29 PM
they are adding eveything but push notification services.. its like they are avoiding it... but w.e

I Agree, but Apple always surprises us, so maybe Push will be on 2.2
I'd also like to see Flash on the IPhone with the ability to toggle it
on and off for those who would not like to use it while on Safari.

phinnaeus
Oct 24, 2008, 10:29 PM

LOL.

Seriously though, I can't wait for this. I just hope they can surprise us with Push notifications.

ALT-255
Oct 24, 2008, 10:37 PM
Who Cares about Google Street View.

I want:

Push Technology
MMS
Cut and Paste
Better 3G. (I only get 3G about 20% of the time.)

w00master
Oct 24, 2008, 10:42 PM
Who Cares about Google Street View.

I want:

Push Technology
MMS
Cut and Paste
Better 3G. (I only get 3G about 20% of the time.)

Well, "Better 3G" I'd say is more on AT&T's end than Apple's.

As for the rest? I'm with you. 100%. However, as my friend said about cut and paste:

"It's the one button mouse issue for the iPhone."

Totally agree.

w00master

Masquerade
Oct 24, 2008, 10:56 PM
Please apple put genie effect on my iPhone pl pl please
SEriously i've been waiting for that on my $999-2year contract device.

bstreiff
Oct 24, 2008, 10:58 PM
How about public transit directions, too? I use that a lot more on Google Maps than I use street view.

Oh, and what happened to push notifications? :/

needthephone
Oct 24, 2008, 11:18 PM
I agree with many here that Street View is a "So What". I have tried it on my PC and MAc and its a good novelty to see your house but then its what real use is it, really, we can live with out it.

OK its very impressive and is more a message to others from Google to say look what we can do, just don't try and compete as we have so many resources at our disposal we can get people to drive around with cameras photographing everywhere on the surface of the planet. (Personally they have TOO much money if they can waste many millions doing this)

I want Turn By Turn GPS. PLEASE APPLE EVERYONE ELSE HAS IT SO WHY ARE YOU SO SPECIAL?

Google Maps with the GPS are another initial WOW but not quite totally useless as a navigation aid whilst driving.

DARKJ3DI
Oct 24, 2008, 11:21 PM
this will be sweet on my touch!

fluffy
Oct 24, 2008, 11:22 PM
How about public transit directions, too? I use that a lot more on Google Maps than I use street view.

Oh, and what happened to push notifications? :/

Same here, I definitely want public transit directions. Also walking directions, which tend to be more useful for bicyclists than car directions.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 24, 2008, 11:24 PM
this is great! but wait.......where is my MMS copy/paste/ push and landscape keyboard...????? dont get me wrong i am still happy to have Apple bringing us updates

LagunaSol
Oct 24, 2008, 11:27 PM

Agreed - what the frak, Apple? Where is my turn-by-turn (with spoken directions) nav app?

I'm not upgrading to the 3G iPhone until one is available. Period.

happydude
Oct 24, 2008, 11:28 PM
yay, more features that don't improve the function of the phone. how about some copy/paste and document storing and editing?!

bacaramac
Oct 24, 2008, 11:29 PM
What I think about these types of updates:

It seems to everyone that Apple is focusing on updates like this and not working on Push. I am sure that Apple has max resources working on Push, etc and a separate set of resources working on other updates.

You can only throw so many resources on something before it provides no additional benefit to the task. I work in software development and this is exactly the case. There is a certain block of work that needs to be completed and at some point no matter how fast you want to produce something there is no benefit to adding additional resources to get the task done.

aristotle
Oct 24, 2008, 11:30 PM
Google maps does not work on the iTouch?
:confused::(

I did not know that.
Of course it works. Guys, stop it with the hyperbole. :rolleyes: You are confusing new users.

The problem with the iPod Touch is that you would have to be connected to a WiFI hotspot so it would not be much use on the go unless you were able to hop on and off a "network" of hot spots throughout the city.

Music_Producer
Oct 24, 2008, 11:42 PM
...Oh? What wuzzat? Voice dialing? Like on my wife's "free with the plan" Motorola? No? Sorry. Going back to sleep now...

Takes a few seconds to dial a number.. how lazy can you be? Or your wife, rather? I was fed up of voice dialing.. sometimes it would mess up and dial someone else.

Yeah, I can see the laziness.. go back to sleep :rolleyes:

kobefan234
Oct 24, 2008, 11:46 PM
How long will it take on the iPhone to get a street view like that?

vandy1997
Oct 24, 2008, 11:47 PM
Where are you? England? How often do you experience dense fogs? Maybe Apple will provide some in firmware 2.2 so that Street View will be more useful.

Here are some other features that people are requesting:
http://pleasefixtheiphone.com/problems/index/

Join in so that we can get a larger number of contributors to this site!! :D

If the GPS has compass-heading support (which Apple has said is on the way IIRC) then hopefully as you're standing in the street, Street View in "current location" mode can know which way you're facing and show you what's actually in front of you automatically. You could tell the restaurant you want is right in front of you, without actually having to look up and see it.

This would be awesome. I HATE having to look away from iPhone screen. For any reason. Ever.

everettmarshall
Oct 24, 2008, 11:53 PM
"The ability to batch update will also be available on the iPhone itself in the 2.2 software update."

Yeah. That's nice. Why was the feature removed? There used to be an "Update All" button on the App Store.

binaryskies
Oct 25, 2008, 12:03 AM
Last time I browse MR under the influence. I thought that was a GTA screenshot...

hahaha! you know in a way.. it does look like a screenshot from GTA when you are under the influence!

i just hope this google street view is accompanied with something a little more useful..push notification ;)

slapppy
Oct 25, 2008, 12:13 AM
Yay Apple! I don't need Push Notification, Copy and Paste, Global Search, Sync To Do, Sync Notes...all those useful things can go. Like landcape email typing and viewing.

Now we get this map thing and I hope an updated calculator. If were lucky more confirmation that what we really need will be low priority and too bad for us. :p

FireFish
Oct 25, 2008, 12:30 AM
Over 30+ Confirmed new features in iPhone 2.2 Beta Software:

http://www.iphoneyap.com/showthread.php?t=59

Over 30 screenshots of 2.2 Beta 2.

Must post along with credit to source: www.iPhoneYap.com

alexlovesmacs
Oct 25, 2008, 12:40 AM
I have been waiting for this. But I still want copy/paste on the ipod touch or iphone.:)

kansai-pj
Oct 25, 2008, 12:49 AM
I am happy about google street view, but what I REALLY want is:

1) support for mobileme aliases!!!!!!!!!!!
2) cut-n-paste
3) different alert sounds for different email accounts
4) more control over alert sounds in general
5) ability to see emoji (I am in Japan)
:p

Neebee
Oct 25, 2008, 12:57 AM
I agree with kansai-pj. I also have to go a step further....copy/cut paste is not somethng I want , but NEED!!! I think copy and paste is more practical and useful than street view especially since street view isn't available everywhere.

XxHOVESKOxX
Oct 25, 2008, 01:02 AM

That's what I thought the same when I saw the screen shot.......lol
That's great to hear that the are putting street view in the google maps......hopefully it won't crash a lot on my phone :D

Freelancer
Oct 25, 2008, 01:28 AM
Great news to see iPhone os evolve, but there are some things more useful to me, like copy/paste, or my subscribed calendar i would like to see also on my iPhone, or being able to type a number for SMS instead of only choosing from contacts, or the ability to hide some built-in apps, like weather, stock, youtube or itunes store...

Bakey
Oct 25, 2008, 02:40 AM
Steve as in Steve Jobs? o.o

I believe it was Ballmer.... :D

Stig McNasty
Oct 25, 2008, 02:55 AM
[QUOTE=vandy1997;6495445]Where are you? England? How often do you experience dense fogs?

Usually the morning after the night before - *ouch*

maokh
Oct 25, 2008, 02:55 AM
I wonder if it will be implemented like the Tmobile G1 android phone, where once it is in street view you can move the phone around physically and the view will correspond with your movement. For example you could stand in one spot and hold the phone up and move your body in 360 degrees, and as you do that you get a 360 degree view of the location. If your still not understanding my explanation following the link, and at the end of the video you'll see it.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1803302901/bctid1812186010

Not likely.

The UI term is called "Pointing"

This requires a electronic compass IC (preferably 3D) and not just an accelerometer. The component isn't entirely cheap, but i was extremely shocked to see the 3G iPhone lacking something like this. If economies of scale can get the cost down to $9 for an electronic LED top, it could probably go into an iphone.

electronic compass + gps + accelerometer would make things like augmented reality applications quite a .. uh.. reality. Something like "catch the egg" would be much more immersive.

Even though the G1 has one of these things, its going to take developers about a year to even figure out what this can even mean for an application. So, meanwhile, apple will have plenty of time to catch up anyway.

bj3949
Oct 25, 2008, 03:08 AM
Who gives a funk about Google Street View? Why is Apple adding in stuff that people don't really care about? Why don't they give us what we want? What we need? Copy/Paste! Video Camera! Flash for Safari! More SMS Features like Forwarding, Re-Sending, Mass-Add Contacts! Picture Messaging! To-Do List/Notes with Sync! Why???????????????? Why is Apple being so incredibly difficult? Even the new Blackberry Storm Touch Phone can easily Copy/Paste. Why can't iPhone? Enough is enough!!!!!!

WHO IS WITH ME HERE????

Gee4orce
Oct 25, 2008, 03:13 AM

Direction, speed and heading have been added back into CoreLocation in 2.2 beta 2. :apple:

nsbio
Oct 25, 2008, 03:39 AM
Who gives a funk about Google Street View? Why is Apple adding in stuff that people don't really care about? Why don't they give us what we want? What we need? Copy/Paste! Video Camera! Flash for Safari! More SMS Features like Forwarding, Re-Sending, Mass-Add Contacts! Picture Messaging! To-Do List/Notes with Sync! Why???????????????? Why is Apple being so incredibly difficult? Even the new Blackberry Storm Touch Phone can easily Copy/Paste. Why can't iPhone? Enough is enough!!!!!!

WHO IS WITH ME HERE????

Pretty much everyone is with you here, although GSV might be a cool thing. However, only the Apple CEO the Almighty has the only vote in this matter, and only He knows what everybody else do want or might possibly want.

In "reality", you do not really want copy/paste or Flash. But you do want Google Street View but you are simply reluctant to admit this to yourself (Sarcasm :o)

bj3949
Oct 25, 2008, 03:42 AM
Pretty much everyone is with you here, although GSV might be a cool thing. However, only the Apple CEO the Almighty has the only vote in this matter, and only He knows what everybody else do want or might possibly want.

In "reality", you do not really want copy/paste or Flash. But you do want Google Street View but you are simply reluctant to admit this to yourself (Sarcasm :o)

Glad to know I'm not alone. I even emailed Steve. Twice. I seriously will probably only use Google Street View maybe twice a year. And both times will be to show off the uneccessary feature to a friend.

bj3949
Oct 25, 2008, 03:46 AM
http://www.pmptoday.com/2008/10/05/blackberry-storm-does-cut-copy-sets-example-for-iphone/

MacFly123
Oct 25, 2008, 03:49 AM
I think this is great too, but Apple come on, first of all fix the bugs and give us the things we actually want and need:

-Still get dropped calls all the time, AT&T should be getting the a$$es beaten until they have their 3G network working flawlessly. Their network is the biggest single reason that deters people from getting the iPhone 3G!!! :mad: I personally know about 10 people that passed because of it! My entire office of about 50 people have iPhone 3Gs and we all average about 3-5 dropped calls a DAY!!!
-GPS is still odd
-Background email fetching
-Copy, Cut, Paste
-Video Recording
-MMS
-Push notification
-Global landscape keyboard
-iChat
-Search
-iWork
-Finder
Etc.

OK seriously, who wants to bet that the features that we all really want and the iPhone really needs like Copy & Paste won't get added until 3.0 and the 3rd generation iPhone??? Pathetic Apple :(

I seriously think that is what will happen! But don't worry, they will update the calculator at least 7 times before then! :rolleyes:

You have up to 4 finger gestures and right click in like 3 different ways on the Macs now Steve, why won't you give us copy & paste on the iPhone??? :rolleyes:

Rybold
Oct 25, 2008, 04:00 AM
BEFORE THEY START ADDING NEW FEATURES, MAYBE THEY COULD FIX WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE!!!
ABOUT 10% OF ALL BUSINESS LOCATIONS ON GOOGLE MAPS ARE COMPLETELY INCORRECT! I DRIVE TO A BUSINESS LOCATION FROM MY IPHONE, AND IT'S NOT THERE!!! IT DOESN'T EXIST!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING THAT IS ?????? All Google has to do is add a feature for us to submit corrections to these locations, directly from our phones. Google can then investigate and correct the error. Why the heck didn't they do that from the start ????????
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:N6XIoeX6pfW-CM:http://www.comedycv.co.uk/melmiller/2003-february-mel-miller.jpg

http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/0905barrel.jpg

I think it's awesome that they are adding street view! :)

How long will it take to download a street view though? (cough. cough.)

(oh, btw, there have been numerous news articles that hundreds of people have flashed the Google street view cameras, and they've had to hire a whole team to review the footage and edit that out before they post it ... but, some might get past their screening process. I just want the job of the guy that gets to drive that car! :D )
[COLOR="White"]

Article: http://gawker.com/5009185/girl-flashes-google-mapmakers-cameras
http://gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2008/05/Picture_18-2.jpg

Google Street View Boob Flash.
"Since the introduction of Google street view many people have been concerned about the privacy of those unfortunate bystanders caught on tape. Even though there are still many arguments to settle it was clearly established by courts that pictures of pedestrians and building exterior are not quite private. However it looks like Google will face stricter EU laws after its street view vans have been spotted in various European cities. In order to tackle this problem Google has been developing an automated face recognition and blurring system. However it seems like above all of these problems some individuals don’t actually mind being shown on Google street view. Not only that, some even play a new game called flash the Google van. (Might be somewhat NSFW) http://www.exposedseo.com/2008/05/17/google-street-view-boob-flash/

MacFly123
Oct 25, 2008, 04:18 AM
Great news to see iPhone os evolve, but there are some things more useful to me, like copy/paste, or my subscribed calendar i would like to see also on my iPhone, or being able to type a number for SMS instead of only choosing from contacts, or the ability to hide some built-in apps, like weather, stock, youtube or itunes store...

Touch the 123 button on the keyboard when you are choosing who to send your text to and you can enter a number ;)

el3ktro
Oct 25, 2008, 05:34 AM
Streetview will surely be nice, but what I think would be much more practical is the new Google maps "by foot" navigation. I'm often asking Maps for the shortest route to a location, but that's not very useful when Maps gives you a route which is fine for a car, but when I want to walk instead.

kironin
Oct 25, 2008, 05:50 AM
LINE-IN AUDIO!

interesting. The 99cent iDicto recorder app is already a great recorder. Using it all the time. I already can record for hours of training, seminars etc. using my iPhone. It works great. :D

in-line audio isn't really necessary for most people's needs.

so far doesn't look like this will be much of an update. Cut and Paste, now that would be something.

larry the fox
Oct 25, 2008, 06:53 AM
Something like Google maps by foot would have been better (its a phone not a car sat nav) (yet) along with copy/paste and the most basic txt functions you get on any phone
Lets hope Apple wakes up to our wants before someone else does

The Phazer
Oct 25, 2008, 06:53 AM

WHO IS WITH ME HERE????

Me. Street View is nice, but there are a bunch of things that are so much more incredibly essential, much easier to implement (seriously. Implementing MMS or horizontal keyboard support in mail shouldn't take any time at all) and are lower on Apple's priority list?

This is getting rediculous.

Phazer

TonyHoyle
Oct 25, 2008, 06:54 AM
Not that interested myself, as street view only works in (parts of) the US & odd bits of France.. I might skip this update.. seems a bit pointless to me. Not worth risking breaking apps over.

AndyCro
Oct 25, 2008, 07:18 AM
How do 25 people derive a negative from this?

The Phazer
Oct 25, 2008, 07:33 AM
How do 25 people derive a negative from this?

By time being spent on this that would be better spent on more essential functions.

Phazer

flottenheimer
Oct 25, 2008, 07:56 AM
The iPhone and iPod Touch just keeps getting cooler and cooler.
I love these devices.

el3ktro
Oct 25, 2008, 07:57 AM
Wow, there seems to be much more to iPhone OS 2.2. See this German site:

http://www.fscklog.com/2008/10/iphone-os-22-screenshots-zu-straßenansicht-routenplanung-für-fußgänger-in-maps-weitere-details.html

As we already know, Streetview, the ability to route using a car, public transport or by foot, and the ability to send contact details to somebody via e-mail.

More pics: http://www.iphoneyap.com/album.php?albumid=11&pictureid=53

TheSpaz
Oct 25, 2008, 08:51 AM
However, as my friend said about cut and paste:

"It's the one button mouse issue for the iPhone."

I disagree. With the "one-button mouse issue" you could STILL right click by using a key on the keyboard making it possible to right click. Currently, it isn't even possible to copy and paste on the iPhone... at all. There's no workaround, you just can't do it until Apple writes it. So the one-button mouse analogy doesn't work for me.

bbyrdhouse
Oct 25, 2008, 08:53 AM
As an owner of the very limited 4Gb model iPhone each one of these updates makes me more inclined to upgrade to the 3G model.

Was hoping for a 32Gb model before I upgrade though....

BornAgainMac
Oct 25, 2008, 09:44 AM
What good is street view on a portable device?

If you want to see what the street looks from where you are, just put down your iPhone and look with your eyes. :) :) :)

Mostly kidding, but downloadable maps would be more useful that street view.

You have a transporter so you can beam over there? I use street view to see old neighborhoods that are too far to drive. Or I can see an area before I go on vacation to find a hotel that I like by seeing what is near the hotel and what the area looks like. I can even visit places that I could never afford to go. And sometime maps are not clear but a photo of the area helps find a house or business easier if you are in the general area.

oticon6
Oct 25, 2008, 10:00 AM

I'm adding the stars because I think this line-in addition is a significant opportunity for iPhone gaming. And no, I'm not talking about voice games :rolleyes:

While it's INTENDED for audio signals, a line input could be used to pass information from third party devices into the phone – that is, something like iControlPad key events can now interface with the SDK without requiring a jailbreak. It would add a small overhead to the games themselves (for quantisation, filtering and so on), but it means that this opportunity exists REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT APPLE CHOOSES TO PURSUE FURTHER SDK SUPPORT THEMSELVES.

daneoni
Oct 25, 2008, 10:05 AM
I'm quite surprise they still haven't released it. Surely they aren't planning to wait till Macworld 09?

crisss1205
Oct 25, 2008, 10:46 AM
Almost your problems can be fixed!

1)When you start a new SMS just hit the 123 on the bottom left of the screen to enter the numbers.

2) To view your subscription calendar you have to sync your iPhone with the calendar on your Mac. (sorry you cant use MobileMe push also)

3) To hide the icons you can...
Disable the iTunes store in the "Settings" -> "General" -> "Restrictions"
Or you can just move them to a different home screen.

duky
Oct 25, 2008, 11:19 AM
Not that interested myself, as street view only works in (parts of) the US & odd bits of France.. I might skip this update.. seems a bit pointless to me. Not worth risking breaking apps over.

This is about more than Street View though. The features in the screenshots being shown (on the updated link) are pretty useful (as opposed to Street View that is cool but not too useful most of the time). Bus directions, transit times, walking directions, share your current location with others feature. I can't wait for this update, I wonder what they'll do to other apps.....

Zorn
Oct 25, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm wondering whatever happened to the Push Notification Service that was promised to us by September. That's the single update I'm most looking forward to as it will really change in a positive way how I use my phone on a daily basis. Street View is nice and all, but it's mostly just eye candy as opposed to something very useful.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
[B]BEFORE THEY START ADDING NEW FEATURES, MAYBE THEY COULD FIX WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE!!!
ABOUT 10% OF ALL BUSINESS LOCATIONS ON GOOGLE MAPS ARE COMPLETELY INCORRECT! I DRIVE TO A BUSINESS LOCATION FROM MY IPHONE, AND IT'S NOT THERE!!! IT DOESN'T EXIST!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING THAT IS ?????? All Google has to do is add a feature for us to submit corrections to these locations, directly from our phones. Google can then investigate and correct the error. Why the heck didn't they do that from the start?

I had this same problem more than I once. The gps was way off. Ironically I was looking for a DHL to send back my defective wall adapter to Apple!

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 25, 2008, 11:59 AM
[B]BEFORE THEY START ADDING NEW FEATURES, MAYBE THEY COULD FIX WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE!!!
ABOUT 10% OF ALL BUSINESS LOCATIONS ON GOOGLE MAPS ARE COMPLETELY INCORRECT! I DRIVE TO A BUSINESS LOCATION FROM MY IPHONE, AND IT'S NOT THERE!!! IT DOESN'T EXIST!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING THAT IS ?????? All Google has to do is add a feature for us to submit corrections to these locations, directly from our phones. Google can then investigate and correct the error. Why the heck didn't they do that from the start?

I had this same problem more than once. The gps was way off. Ironically I was looking for a DHL to send back my defective wall adapter to Apple!

Benjic
Oct 25, 2008, 12:05 PM
I had this same problem more than once. The gps was way off. Ironically I was looking for a DHL to send back my defective wall adapter to Apple!

I couldnt find the company who shipped mine, I took it to DHL, UPS and Fedex and they all told me they didnt know how to ship it back. I called apple and asked the guy where I could take the package and he told me, "Right to the garbage can, we dont need them back, have a good day."

paja
Oct 25, 2008, 12:14 PM
No Push Notification, no Copy and Paste, no Global Search, no Sync To Do, no Sync Notes.

Apple is so special!:rolleyes:

But they give us Street Views. How nice of them.

The Google Phone sure is beginning to look interesting.

Apple is loosing it. :(

Saladinos
Oct 25, 2008, 01:03 PM
The one thing I want is WiFi auto-reconnect to unsecured networks.

Some of the computers in my house don't support even WEP, so I have to use MAC filtering on an unencrypted network (not quite the same thing, but w/e). The iPhone doesn't automatically reconnect to it, so I have to keep the phone awake when, for example, using Remote.App.

kas23
Oct 25, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hey Guys,

Besides from being visually pleasing, what exactly does Streetview add to the iPhone? What the heck do you use it for?

Initially, I was down on Apple for making those little Japanese cartoons, but Streetview seems to be take the cake for being useless.

Freelancer
Oct 25, 2008, 01:25 PM
Almost your problems can be fixed!
1)When you start a new SMS just hit the 123 on the bottom left of the screen to enter the numbers.
Touch the 123 button on the keyboard when you are choosing who to send your text to and you can enter a number ;)

Thank you. Really. I felt so dumb the first time i tried to text someone and couldn't find the numbers :D From this moment, i started adding the contact then text :D

2) To view your subscription calendar you have to sync your iPhone with the calendar on your Mac. (sorry you cant use MobileMe push also)

i sometimes use the computer at work for iCal (with MobileMe) so i can't use direct sync from my mac.

3) To hide the icons you can...
Disable the iTunes store in the "Settings" -> "General" -> "Restrictions"
Or you can just move them to a different home screen.
yes, i tried the restriction but i can't use it either :

for camera, i use camerabag, but with the restrictions, it totally blocks the ue of the camera
same for youtube. i don't wanna block youtube, but i don't need the app.

i had Poof on my jailbroken iPod. I liked it. but i don't wanna mess with my phone and jailbreak it actually.

.vin.
Oct 25, 2008, 01:40 PM

I agree. If there's ANYTHING Apple should be working on, it's the push notification service. It was due in September, and we're almost in November here.

Virgil-TB2
Oct 25, 2008, 01:51 PM

I quote you to point out that there is some serious apps coming to the store soon, including Tiger Woods, Need for Speed, and TomTom... Personally, I think Apple will change the pricing structures so TomTom can charge a monthly fee. Otherwise, what would they charge for the app? It only makes sense.No offence to those that are into gaming on the iPhone, but this would be a truly boring event for most of us, especially if the iMac is only bumped and not redesigned.

Street view is cool and push notifications (if they occur) are sorely needed, but that ain't enough for a Steve event. These are essentially minor revisions. It would be like holding an event for a point upgrade to Mac OS-X.

If there is an event, it would have to include some really new stuff. Redesigned iMacs or a new AppleTV would qualify, but not a minor iPhone software upgrade.

Marvin1379
Oct 25, 2008, 02:22 PM
really? This is the best they can do for updates now? All the things that are needed to make the iPhone fully operational as it should be and they go for street view? I use this for fun. To see what car was parked outside my house when they took the pic. What they really need to focus on is bringing shuffle by album, copy and paste, SMS forwarding, send contact via email and SMS, Bluetooth stereo and full Bluetooth support (ie sendin pics, contacts, etc), safari crashes, keyboard lag, push service, and the list goes on. The iPhone is 98% there, but it's the few features that are missing that really frustrates me at times. This is the best phone I've ever used (one of the best products ever) but apple needs to fix what's wrong and add the simple stuff before they add things that aren't absolutely necessary.

kironin
Oct 25, 2008, 02:40 PM
ABOUT 10% OF ALL BUSINESS LOCATIONS ON GOOGLE MAPS ARE COMPLETELY INCORRECT! I DRIVE TO A BUSINESS LOCATION FROM MY IPHONE, AND IT'S NOT THERE!!! IT DOESN'T EXIST!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW FRUSTRATING THAT IS ?????? All Google has to do is add a feature for us to submit corrections to these locations, directly from our phones. Google can then investigate and correct the error. Why the heck didn't they do that from the start ????????

I was sitting in a restaurant that Google said was several miles away. So when I used the Aroundme app to locate what was around me, it did not find the restaurant I was sitting in.

They really do need some way of receiving corrections from users.

I wish there was some evidence that Apple was working to produce a good solution for Cut and Paste like has already been demonstrated. In the last month of using my iPhone almost everyday I have encountered situations where copy and paste would have been a real help and productivity boost.

trevreyno
Oct 25, 2008, 02:45 PM
This is about more than Street View though. The features in the screenshots being shown (on the updated link) are pretty useful (as opposed to Street View that is cool but not too useful most of the time). Bus directions, transit times, walking directions, share your current location with others feature. I can't wait for this update, I wonder what they'll do to other apps.....
As far as i know although Bus stops are embeded within google maps Bus timetables are not.I expect this feature will be similar to the traffic feature-i.e will only be available in certain locations (read certain parts of the USA;)) when first released.

As our Bus timetables in the UK seem to change on almost a weekly basis I would love to know how this feature is going to be kept up to date:confused:

queshy
Oct 25, 2008, 02:49 PM
why would you need streetview if you're already outside on the street (with your phone)? :confused:

Trajectory
Oct 25, 2008, 02:53 PM
If the GPS on my iPhone actually worked, this could be an interesting feature. Right now, the GPS is inaccurate and can rarely pinpoint where I am. As a result I never use it.

TheSpaz
Oct 25, 2008, 03:10 PM
why would you need streetview if you're already outside on the street (with your phone)? :confused:

How about when you haven't arrived at your destination yet? You can use street view to get an idea about what you should be looking for along the way. It's not mean to stand there on the street and watch the street on your iPhone at the same time. Geeze.

autumnmike
Oct 25, 2008, 03:10 PM
i don't know why people have such problems with gps. mine works fine. really good actually.

street view. neat addition.

but the transit and walking directions options. hell yeah!!!! about freaking time. it's annoing to have to launch safari all the time to get bus stop info. being in sf, this is going to be hella helpful. now just get some more maps in the bay area google!

Rybold
Oct 25, 2008, 03:49 PM
As far as i know although Bus stops are embeded within google maps Bus timetables are not.I expect this feature will be similar to the traffic feature-i.e will only be available in certain locations (read certain parts of the USA;)) when first released.

As our Bus timetables in the UK seem to change on almost a weekly basis I would love to know how this feature is going to be kept up to date:confused:

There should be a separate App, and it should be connected to the computers that post the bus schedule. That way, they can update the schedule throughout the day, and when the update appears on the internet, it also appears in the App.

crisss1205
Oct 25, 2008, 04:05 PM

You can see street view maybe at your destination 10 miles away, maybe where a restaurant is or a specific business.

wallstreetcrash
Oct 25, 2008, 04:27 PM
Hey Guys,

Besides from being visually pleasing, what exactly does Streetview add to the iPhone? What the heck do you use it for?

Initially, I was down on Apple for making those little Japanese cartoons, but Streetview seems to be take the cake for being useless.

It is better than Satellite mode for sure. Also say you just bored, you can wonder down streets :D
I can't wait for this, but I hope it is light-load, I can just see it freezing/locking up a lot! :o

bplein
Oct 25, 2008, 05:33 PM
I'm a bit astounded at the replies here!

Google releases Street View to Google Maps Mobile across platforms (it's on the Blackberry and others) and many people are complaining that Apple should have concentrated on other features first?

Google Maps is a GOOGLE application, folks. It has nothing to do with the iPhone except that it's supported on it, and lots of other mobile platforms as well. Get over it!

joeshell383
Oct 25, 2008, 05:53 PM
I see bus, but what about subway (and other modes)?

Also, there is integrated white pages, but why not yellow pages?

Also, why isn't Apple's flight tracker a stand-alone app on the iPhone?

ThinkBrilliant
Oct 25, 2008, 07:10 PM
Even though it's a Google Application doesn't mean Apple wasn't heavily involved in the conceptualization/development/port. The relationships between the two company's boards are bountiful, and Apple is definitely not going to complain about feature-stacking with the G1.

I reached out and asked 12 iPhone developers to rate the importance of copy-and-paste functionality, on a scale from 1-10. One being very little importance, and ten being absolute insanity that it’s still missing. Here are some of the results:

“I give it an 8 — not only should it be developed into the SDK for everyone to use, it’s just as important as a keyboard for the iPhone OS.”

“A ten doesn’t seem out of line here. Either there is something massive holding this up, or I am living in the twilight zone.”

“The only reason I give this a 9 and not a 10 is because background push notifications are huge. Without those, my ideas are near useless.”

“No ’saving-to-clipboard’ or cloud-storing workaround is going to work. This needs to come from Apple, be built directly into the SDK and developers need to be able to use it, just like everything else. It should be as ubiquitous as an input field, or any other interface/OS element we can use.”

“I give it a 10, and I give the necessity of landscape keyboards an 8.”

If interested, the full post is on MacBlogz: http://www.macblogz.com/2008/10/25/iphone-copy-and-paste-maybe-next-time/ -- but the dev replies were the most interesting of all.

lazyrighteye
Oct 25, 2008, 07:20 PM
There should be a separate App, and it should be connected to the computers that post the bus schedule. That way, they can update the schedule throughout the day, and when the update appears on the internet, it also appears in the App.

Separate App or built-in (preferred) to 2.2 Maps functionality: bus (& light rail?!) schedules at my finger tips is pretty dope. A bit annoying (even tho a simple Bookmark in Safari) to launch Safari for that info. Maps seems a logical place for such info.

But no one is talking about Audio In.
Holly yes. 'Bout freakin' time.
I'm real curious to see what audio Apps start popping up.

D3lta
Oct 25, 2008, 07:45 PM
Looks to be a great update!

The Street View and bus times checker will be very useful to me!

canadan
Oct 25, 2008, 08:13 PM
The one thing that would make me go over the moon with joy with an update is LANDSCAPE MODE for my SMS. For god's sake, what is the bloody hold up with this?? The lack of this function is the only thing I HATE and despise about my iPhone!! Am I the only person who wants this?

Kwill
Oct 25, 2008, 08:19 PM

Push notification will be previewed to announce Street View. ;)

w00master
Oct 25, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm a bit astounded at the replies here!

Google releases Street View to Google Maps Mobile across platforms (it's on the Blackberry and others) and many people are complaining that Apple should have concentrated on other features first?

Google Maps is a GOOGLE application, folks. It has nothing to do with the iPhone except that it's supported on it, and lots of other mobile platforms as well. Get over it!

Ok, fine then. Then explain to me how emojii icons have a higher priority than cut and paste or turn by turn directions?

w00master

crisss1205
Oct 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
Ok, fine then. Then explain to me how emojii icons have a higher priority than cut and paste or turn by turn directions?

w00master

Here is my iPhone feature priority list...
1) MMS
2) Push notification
3) Copy & Paste
4) Video Recording
5) Turn by Turn directions
6) Landscape keyboard across ALL apps
99) Google Street View
999) Emojii icons (Well, I'm in the US)

Goliath
Oct 25, 2008, 10:30 PM
Any added functionality to existing programs is always welcome but I know many will still bemoan the lack of MMS or copy and paste, as the 2 most glaring examples that come to mind, that are higher on their list of priorities for Apple to implement.

And those 2 examples are still the most cited by iPhone detractors- but I still wonder why they have been made into such a big deal.

Whatever you can send via MMS you can send via email- and with the iPhones unlimited data it's free. The cost of sending MMS (not included in your free allowances) messages are exorbitant and only line the pockets of the telecom operators.

Consider this- in the UK the average price to send an SMS is 10p. An SMS is 160 characters maximum- 140 bytes per message. This works out at a staggering £748.90p per MB of data transmitted. The most pessimistic cost of transmission from the Hubble space telescope is an estimated £85 per MB- nearly 9 times cheaper!

I'm glad MMS isn't part of the iPhone's capabilities- bad enough the cost of SMS but at least there is a free allowance included in the contract.

queshy
Oct 25, 2008, 10:39 PM
You can see street view maybe at your destination 10 miles away, maybe where a restaurant is or a specific business.

How about when you haven't arrived at your destination yet? You can use street view to get an idea about what you should be looking for along the way. It's not mean to stand there on the street and watch the street on your iPhone at the same time. Geeze.

Heh, makes sense I guess. I'm not too PRO-street view because it's not available anywhere close to where I live anyway.

Here's my priority list:
1) better stability across the whole OS and less crashes
2) landscape across all apps involving a keyboard
3) turn by turn (google maps is surprisingly hard to look at while driving...haha)
4) MMS

bplein
Oct 25, 2008, 10:59 PM
Even though it's a Google Application doesn't mean Apple wasn't heavily involved in the conceptualization/development/port. The relationships between the two company's boards are bountiful, and Apple is definitely not going to complain about feature-stacking with the G1.

I don't quite get it. Google is responsible for Street View. It's out on Blackberry. How is my Blackberry application from Google heavily influenced by Apple? It's not.

Google pushed out Street View to GMM. They did it for many platforms. It's not a decision by Apple.

bplein
Oct 25, 2008, 11:00 PM

w00master

Google can't give away Turn-by-Turn as they license much of the application data from Naviteq, who sells turn-by-turn.

gilbert1020
Oct 25, 2008, 11:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MScNxJFRb4I

IPhone 2.2 Streetview preview
Seems like Streetview will use acelorametor..

Neebee
Oct 25, 2008, 11:38 PM

WHO IS WITH ME HERE????

They're upgrading the iPhone into toy not a useful smartphone. I suspect Apple is adding these other features to distract us and gawd only knows why else instead of focusing on the practical features already mentioned. What I dont understand is that you can provide feedback to Apple, but it appears our feedback is being heard with deaf ears.

Neebee
Oct 25, 2008, 11:47 PM
Over 30+ Confirmed new features in iPhone 2.2 Beta Software:

http://www.iphoneyap.com/showthread.php?t=59

Over 30 screenshots of 2.2 Beta 2.

Must post along with credit to source: www.iPhoneYap.com

The link you provided above only shows Google streetview.

Rybold
Oct 25, 2008, 11:48 PM
Before they start adding new features, maybe they should fix what we already have!
About 10% of all business locations on Google Maps are completely incorrect! I drive to a business location from my iPhone, and it's simply not there! It doesn't exist! Do you know how frustrating that is? All Google has to do is add a feature for us to submit corrections to these locations, directly from our phones. Google can then investigate and correct the error. Why the heck didn't they do that from the start ????????
http://www.paulbeelen.com/english/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/iphoneMaps.pnghttp://photos.igougo.com/images/p181634-Mali-Middle_of_Nowhere.jpg

mackmgg
Oct 25, 2008, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MScNxJFRb4I

IPhone 2.2 Streetview preview
Seems like Streetview will use acelorametor..

thats fake the official screenshots are differ.

on another note the iphone dev center is down for updates:
We'll be right back

We are currently updating the iPhone Dev Center, and you should be able to access it shortly.
heres 2 another seed/release w/ push.

LiveForever
Oct 26, 2008, 01:45 AM
Yes Streetview is really impressive but SO WHAT.

Complete waste of time unless you are a burgler casing a break in or something.

Google have wasted millions on this.

Definetly not on my wish list for iphone features.

I want Turn By Turn GPS WITHOUT google maps which are useless on the move.

FireFish
Oct 26, 2008, 01:46 AM
The link you provided above only shows Google streetview.

The forum has numerous threads containing screenshots of otherthings in 2.2.

Streetview was the biggest news since it's all that's new since beta 1 in beta 2.

slapppy
Oct 26, 2008, 02:28 AM
No Push Notification, no Copy and Paste, no Global Search, no Sync To Do, no Sync Notes.

Apple is so special!:rolleyes:

But they give us Street Views. How nice of them.

The Google Phone sure is beginning to look interesting.

Apple is loosing it. :(

I think you're right on this one with Google and other competitive products coming out. It won't be long when they catch up with the iPhone UI. Since they have all the basic feature stuff the iPhone will never have. All they need to have is the killer UI. It may be time to move on after ATT contracts expire.

ipoppy
Oct 26, 2008, 06:19 AM
OMG....how come that there are not street maps in UK yet???
:(:(:(

Hawkeye411
Oct 26, 2008, 06:23 AM
First stop Safari from crashing all the freekin' time. Then push, copy/paste, other cool stuff (in that order) :)

Edit: Street View is really cool if your in America. Jobs .... in case you forgot ...... you sold iphones to people OUTSIDE the US too. How about something useful in the update!!

crisss1205
Oct 26, 2008, 08:48 AM
First stop Safari from crashing all the freekin' time. Then push, copy/paste, other cool stuff (in that order) :)

Edit: Street View is really cool if your in America. Jobs .... in case you forgot ...... you sold iphones to people OUTSIDE the US too. How about something useful in the update!!

Don't forget that it is Google who is doing this, Apple only has a small part is doing this.
And there is also street view in other countries like France, Japan, and.
Australia. Over the next couple of months there will be more street view around the world.
When it was launched on May 25, 2007, only five American cities were included. It has since expanded to thousands of locations in the United States, France, Italy, Australia and Japan.
Might come to Canada
In the more immediate future, Google plans to release Street View for various Canadian cities, but modified so that faces and license plates are blurred, due to concerns raised by Canada's federal privacy commissioner Jennifer Stoddart about the program breaching Canada's privacy laws.

It will come to the following countries...
1) Singapore
2) Canada
3) Mexico
4) New Zealand
5) France (more cities)
6) Germany
7) Italy (more cities)
8) Ireland
9) Spain
10) Romania
11) United Kingdom (by the end of the year, same time I think 2.2 will be available)

Credit to...
wikipedia.org
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4263569.ece

sfh
Oct 26, 2008, 11:44 AM
doesn't streetview run in flash? I hate flash I wish it would just die already

andyhendry
Oct 26, 2008, 02:54 PM
Personally I'd like to see TomTom released.

Google is great for when you want a local service, a telephone number and a pointer on location. Even street view is useful here.

However, driving thousands of miles per year, when you are looking to get from A to B and deal with traffic and unfamiliar roads, Google Maps is slightly less use than a 15ft fold-up paper map.

Give me TomTom please and let me finally let go of my old Palm Treo and remote GPS.

Oh and whilst you're at it Apple, sort out that stupid omission of .ics invites in Mail.

twoodcc
Oct 26, 2008, 06:41 PM
well i'm glad to see this. i guess having a little competition from google is helping us get more features in the iphone

Neebee
Oct 27, 2008, 12:03 AM
Personally I'd like to see TomTom released.

Google is great for when you want a local service, a telephone number and a pointer on location. Even street view is useful here.

However, driving thousands of miles per year, when you are looking to get from A to B and deal with traffic and unfamiliar roads, Google Maps is slightly less use than a 15ft fold-up paper map.

Give me TomTom please and let me finally let go of my old Palm Treo and remote GPS.

Oh and whilst you're at it Apple, sort out that stupid omission of .ics invites in Mail.
I'm slowly but surely moving away from Google maps and onto Microsoft's Windows Live. While they don't have street view (who cares?) they do have increased magnification of the maps where you can really zoom in nicely. I think Google is really grasping at straws with their latest project with Street View, besides, like already mentioned Google POIs are not accurate and if you upload your GPS data onto Google maps, you will see that Google's map data is incorrect.
The forum has numerous threads containing screenshots of otherthings in 2.2.

Streetview was the biggest news since it's all that's new since beta 1 in beta 2.

Sorry, I'm not going to go fishing through all that Streetview rubbish. If the info is worthwhile, it should have it's separate thread and a linky. ;)

well i'm glad to see this. i guess having a little competition from google is helping us get more features in the iphone

That could backfire on us. Apple may say the heck with it and only add new features to their next model, leaving us out in the dust or forcing us to buy another product.

schimanke
Oct 27, 2008, 02:59 AM
Well, I surfed the web a bit and found two other new features in iPhone OS 2.2 Beta 2. First, you now get asked to rate a certain app before you delete it from your iPhone. Second, for those who have a lot of homescreens you may now pudh the home button from any screen to get back to your very first screen. Pretty cool, though I'd like to see some other stuff like push notification, MMS or copy & paste as well.

http://www.schimanke.com/uploads/technik/Apple/iPhone/beta_2_2.jpg

dmd717
Oct 27, 2008, 02:37 PM
Since :apple: prides itself on smartware that makes your life more simple -- and usually does a great job -- I'm baffled they don't have copy/paste??!!

I just got the iPhone, love it, but can't believe :apple: doesn't have it.

If I'm missing something or just haven't seen it, feel free to tell me (of course, after roasting me).

I guess I'll look for a Cut n Paste app in the :apple:App Store, but if you think about it, that'd be pretty embarrassing for :apple: if I actually find it there...

...hey wait, I'LL develop the Cut n Paste app and make a b'zillion dollars!!

; )

cooldaunte
Oct 27, 2008, 04:44 PM
i'm comfortable with both Google Maps mobile and TomTom - they're both getting their maps from Tele Atlas. users' edits and corrections from both are helping to improve the accuracy Tele Atlas maps, so ultimately, we'll get solid maps from either one.

crisss1205
Oct 27, 2008, 04:58 PM
Since :apple: prides itself on smartware that makes your life more simple -- and usually does a great job -- I'm baffled they don't have copy/paste??!!

I just got the iPhone, love it, but can't believe :apple: doesn't have it.

If I'm missing something or just haven't seen it, feel free to tell me (of course, after roasting me).

I guess I'll look for a Cut n Paste app in the :apple:App Store, but if you think about it, that'd be pretty embarrassing for :apple: if I actually find it there...

...hey wait, I'LL develop the Cut n Paste app and make a b'zillion dollars!!

; )

Apple is working on copy and paste and there is no app in the store that will provide copy and paste across ALL applications. The SDK wont let you do copy and paste across all apps.

Neebee
Oct 28, 2008, 12:10 AM
Apple is working on copy and paste and there is no app in the store that will provide copy and paste across ALL applications. The SDK wont let you do copy and paste across all apps.

Is that just like the rumours saying that Apple is working on flash and it was to be made available in March 2008? :p

wabby
Oct 28, 2008, 09:45 AM
Where can i report bugs to apple?
There is a major bug in 2.1 when it comes to play songs lossless throu USBcable throu a headunit.

Neebee
Oct 28, 2008, 11:38 PM
Where can i report bugs to apple?
There is a major bug in 2.1 when it comes to play songs lossless throu USBcable throu a headunit.

Report bugs and any feedback/criticism or you wish list here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html