PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely loving boxee...

pamon
Oct 26, 2008, 04:17 PM
wow.. what a great service. easy to install once you figure it out and it works completely awesome with hulu. makes the apple tv completely more useful. props to the boxee crew for a great product. not giving invites though, but if you check on an auction site you might find some. GL.

crosby1991
Oct 27, 2008, 02:56 AM
hi pamon

glad you are enjoying..

you can give out as many invites as you like via boxee website ..login and then just enter your friends email ..

i will also be offering boxee invites just email me at marcel {at}boxee{dot}tv :)

mattyxxl
Oct 27, 2008, 09:10 AM
Love the product! I can't wait to see Netflix streaming! Their player for intel macs is coming today. I know you guys can get that in to boxee.... I hope!

hi pamon

glad you are enjoying..

you can give out as many invites as you like via boxee website ..login and then just enter your friends email ..

i will also be offering boxee invites just email me at marcel {at}boxee{dot}tv :)

tkidBOSTON
Oct 27, 2008, 09:25 AM
wow.. what a great service. easy to install once you figure it out and it works completely awesome with hulu. makes the apple tv completely more useful. props to the boxee crew for a great product. not giving invites though, but if you check on an auction site you might find some. GL.

hi pamon

glad you are enjoying..

Boxee invites available through this thread:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573265

crosby1991
Oct 28, 2008, 08:25 AM
thanks tkidBOSTON

also invites are found herehttp://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=144

krosario
Oct 30, 2008, 05:06 PM
I agree, Boxee has been a dream come true. Hulu, CBS and comedy central are my usual sources on it. Other than a clunky browsing system Boxee uses and the inability to PAUSE south park (and prob. any other comedy central video), there aren't any negatives, and Boxee is only in ALPHA!

Every one should grab a hold of Boxee and toss it on their Apple TVs. Definitely worth it... Do it Do it Do it!

If and when Netflix streaming arrives for Boxee, the game will completely change...

coogee
Oct 30, 2008, 06:49 PM
not so excited about Boxee here, outside the USA. :/

rbitman
Nov 6, 2008, 05:12 PM
I got Boxee to stream Netflix on the Apple TV. I used MediaMall's PlayOn running it's server on a PC. I could then see the service in the Boxee menu. Only problem was I broke PlayOn when I switched to Silverlight to be able to stream Netflix on my Mac. They are working on a fix though.

mdwsta4
Nov 6, 2008, 06:00 PM
so with boxee you can stream shows to watch on your tv?
i just moved and haven't purchased a television provider, just been watching shows on my MBP. have been thinking about an ATV for a while.
iirc, you have to have a thumbdrive to put the boxee programming on your ATV, then you're good to go? how exactly does streaming work?
what additional parts do you need to get the ATV setup to work with your tv? sorry if these are dumb questions.

thanks!

theBB
Nov 6, 2008, 08:34 PM
I have not tried streaming, yet. I assume once you share your files, Boxee can locate them in your home network fairly easily.

For "local" files, aTV does not mount thumbdrives or USB hard drives unless you hack it further. I just copied a divx file over to aTV's harddisk via the wireless network (through scp command in terminal) and Boxee played it properly. It was taking a long time to copy a ~600MB video file on my cheap thumbdrive anyways, so having to copy it over the network was not that bad.

rbitman
Nov 7, 2008, 06:54 AM
I have the DNS-323 NAS with two 750GB drives running in Raid 1 for 1.5TB of space. I added TwonkyVision UPnP server software. You can get this for a lot of NAS devices, PC, etc. Then Boxee can see the NAS and stream all media just fine from it over 802.11n. It even find the movie directory and added information for movie titles automagically. Great software. Now if I can just figure out how to get Netflix to play again. Darn I wish they'd give the option to switch back to the old DRM. It did work with the PlayOn software on the PC before.

theosh
Nov 7, 2008, 09:27 AM
Boxee is a must have addition to your ATV! Sheesh, now I don't have any reason to leave my couch. My pizza should be here soon, got to go.

uva25
Nov 7, 2008, 10:23 AM
I agree, Boxee has been a dream come true. Hulu, CBS and comedy central are my usual sources on it. Other than a clunky browsing system Boxee uses and the inability to PAUSE south park (and prob. any other comedy central video), there aren't any negatives, and Boxee is only in ALPHA!

Every one should grab a hold of Boxee and toss it on their Apple TVs. Definitely worth it... Do it Do it Do it!

If and when Netflix streaming arrives for Boxee, the game will completely change...
I signed up and installed the software on my Mac but haven't taken the plunge to put it on the Apple TV. I've never added any software to it before and don't have any clear instructions. Is it easy for an intermediate user?

rbitman
Nov 7, 2008, 10:35 AM
I used ATV Flash. There are good instructions on making your own patchstick too. I know some who tried and failed. So you have to decide if it's worth it for your time and effort in exchange for the price. Nice thing is you get free upgrades for a year and they continue to add support. They added Boxee not long ago and now I hear that soon they will be adding the Flash and Netflix streaming support too.

http://www.atvflash.com/?gclid=CNqa-MK_45YCFRqgnAodrXIdNw

theBB
Nov 7, 2008, 01:26 PM
I signed up and installed the software on my Mac but haven't taken the plunge to put it on the Apple TV. I've never added any software to it before and don't have any clear instructions. Is it easy for an intermediate user?
Very easy. The instructions are a bit scattered, but it went very smoothly for me and I would quit almost immediately. Here is the instructions I followed with some of my notes in parenthesis:

1. download the ATVUSB-Creator from http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/
2. insert a “bootable” USB drive into your Mac
(Make sure your thumbdrive is erased into MacOS extended format. You can use Disk Utility for that.)
3. run the ATVUSB-Creator and select which plug-ins you’d like to install
( I just went with whatever defaults it had and hit "Create Using DMG" button at the bottom)
4. remove the USB drive and plug it into your Apple TV
5. power on your Apple TV and the patchstick will run the ATV bootloader
6. after the bootloader finishes, remove it and restart your Apple TV
7. it now has options for Boxee / XBMC on the main menu
8. click on Boxee, then select update
(First select and update/install the updater from the list and then select update/install Boxee software)
9. once boxee is done installing, restart your Apple TV
11. click “Boxee”, then select “Boxee” in the sub-menu to start boxee.

Mazda 3
Nov 8, 2008, 09:51 AM

Really enjoy Hulla too,the only thing I`m wondering,is everyone
experiencing the sooo slow download times on Torrent movies,looks like about
a week for the two I`ve got qued (sp obviously)

Is Couchsurfer and NitoTV must have plug-ins too,anyone?:)

ensignawesome
Nov 10, 2008, 11:19 PM
I need a Boxee invite. If anyone wouldnt mind sharing it would be a huge help.

ensignawesome@gmail.com

Thanks!
-Jim

rbitman
Nov 11, 2008, 06:30 AM
ensignawesome@gmail.com Just sent you an invite.

I hope you enjoy it. I sure do.

tkidBOSTON
Nov 11, 2008, 08:25 AM
Again, lets keep the Boxee discussion threads limited to just that.

There is a seperate thread set up for invites if thats what you're looking for:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=598191

otto-matic
Nov 12, 2008, 12:49 AM
I have boxee installed, but can't seem to find hulu or CBS as a video source.

I've got some of the others, but something is odd.

theosh
Nov 13, 2008, 06:01 PM
I have boxee installed, but can't seem to find hulu or CBS as a video source.

I've got some of the others, but something is odd.

update the Launcher, not just boxee. :)

tkidBOSTON
Nov 14, 2008, 07:09 AM
update the Launcher, not just boxee. :)

And update the launcher, then boxee. Always update the launcher first.

serpico
Nov 14, 2008, 12:11 PM
Finally got boxee installed this morning. I browsed the menu and settings but still have not been able to add a shared folder from my iMac. I have SMB running and added the shared folder where the media resides in. I'm in Canada, so I guess Hulu doesn't work. Any work around?

Chris Rogers
Nov 14, 2008, 12:12 PM
sell me on boxee

ksmith80209
Nov 14, 2008, 04:12 PM
sell me on boxee

Watch pretty much any TV show on-demand. It's like having a TiVO of unlimited size in the "cloud."

skorpien
Nov 15, 2008, 02:46 AM
sell me on boxee

Just finished watching an AVI file streamed from my computer over wifi to my ATV... WITHOUT having to convert it and load it through iTunes... that in itself is enough to sell me on Boxee. Also, it coexists with ATV's original software so no need to give that up.

Chris Rogers
Nov 15, 2008, 11:05 PM
Just finished watching an AVI file streamed from my computer over wifi to my ATV... WITHOUT having to convert it and load it through iTunes... that in itself is enough to sell me on Boxee. Also, it coexists with ATV's original software so no need to give that up.

Just got it today....Works great

Ol!ver
Nov 16, 2008, 05:50 PM
not so excited about Boxee here, outside the USA. :/

That's the problem, I get the feeling that you need to be able to access Hulu to get the most out of Boxee. Correct me if I'm wrong though !

If I install Boxee, do I lose everything that's already on the :apple:TV ?

Chris Rogers
Nov 16, 2008, 06:39 PM

No

TheCheapGeek
Nov 18, 2008, 01:22 PM
Boxee isn't that great for me, I have used iTunes for along time and have no problem re-encoding and tagging the file. I think boxee is more appealing to people who were not really pleased with apple tv as is. I for one love my apple tv and just cant get over the issues with boxee. Now if in future releases if the interface can be made less laggy, the videos do not play in the background, and i can easily add my pre tagged files and have the software read the meta tags then i will consider it again. I will say that as a streaming tool it is great, to me though for my to use it i want it to completely replace my need for the apple tv software , and currently it cant accomplish this.

r1ch4rd
Nov 18, 2008, 02:24 PM
That's the problem, I get the feeling that you need to be able to access Hulu to get the most out of Boxee. Correct me if I'm wrong though !

I tried it a few weeks ago and it didn't really grab me. Nothing particularly exciting on there since I can't get Hulu etc.

The one thing that really annoyed me is that it takes over from FrontRow when you use the apple remote and it took me ages to find how to get it back after uninstalling Boxee.

Mike Teezie
Feb 1, 2009, 12:06 PM
I jst got boxee installed on my :apple:TV, and am loving it. I can't believe this is alpha software. It will play anything you throw at it. I have it on both my Macs as well.

I'm now looking at getting a really great way to serve content to everything, some sort of NAS setup.

If anyone needs an invite, just PM or email me.

macrazee
Feb 1, 2009, 01:19 PM
Boxee...meh.

Let me know when you can actually pause/stop/fast-forward/rewind while watching CBS, for example.

My experience with Boxee is that the interface is clunky, and it runs slow as crap even on high-end Macs let alone AppleTV.

"Alpha" is right. It's got a long, long way to go.

hitekalex
Feb 1, 2009, 07:17 PM
Biggest problem with Boxee (their horrible UI aside) is poor quality of streamed content. My wife finds it unwatchable and I can't argue much.. It's particularly bad on ATV, partially because it's a CPU based application.. But it's not much better on my Mac either. So yes they have ways to go before they can be considered a good substitute for cable or anything else.

Zman5225
Feb 1, 2009, 09:25 PM
I have to say that i've tried Boxee as well, and I don't like it at all. I can understand beta software though and I hope it gets improved because the concept is ideal, but the implementation of it leaves much to be desired. There's hope out there and a lot of room for improvement so until that day...

liquidtrend
Feb 1, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have to say that i've tried Boxee as well, and I don't like it at all. I can understand beta software though and I hope it gets improved because the concept is ideal, but the implementation of it leaves much to be desired. There's hope out there and a lot of room for improvement so until that day...

boxee is still in alpha testing. not beta.

i love boxee. great concept, and it can only get better.
the fact that i have one peice of software that brings in all the streaming video i need, without having to run 6 or 7 different tabs in my browser.

MacFlash
Feb 2, 2009, 06:01 PM
Boxee as a final app on the AppleTV could be great. The Alpha is only good.

If the final version can find a way to properly stream the HD sources that are out there and refine the interface it would be a true killer app for the Apple TV.

As it is now, it cannot replace cable for anyone who cares about video quality at all and the interface is too clunky for a mainstream user to love. If they can figure out the HD issues, then watch out. I know that I will definitely cancel my cable if they can get that worked out.

aiannar974
Feb 13, 2009, 12:22 PM
any chance the apple tv could duel boot? have a small app let you choose normal apple tv or boxee?

mastershakess
Feb 13, 2009, 01:43 PM
I've watched several TV shows through boxee that look better than digital channels, not better than HD channels. What shows are you watching that have poor quality? I've used boxee on a 40 and 47" screen

skorpien
Feb 14, 2009, 03:17 PM
any chance the apple tv could duel boot? have a small app let you choose normal apple tv or boxee?

It already is. Boxee doesn't wipe out the original OS on the ATV. It just places a menu item that allows you to boot into Boxee. It initially boots into ATV OS however.

ddaddy2420
Feb 15, 2009, 08:29 AM
Just purchased my apple tv yesterday and installed boxee on it immediately, i was expecting much more from boxee i must say. The quality on anything i have watched so far has not been good. I went to the hulu channel thinking i was going to get good content or maybe even some hd but no. Not to mention watching the shows is laggy. There is even some visible skip to some of them. I was hoping this would eventually replace me using my dvr with my regular cable subscription but i can see that will not happen. Maybe someone else can enlighten some of us as to what are some other uses of boxee we are not seeing.

I also can't figure out why i would anyone would want to set up the ability to look at photos and videos when the apple tv will do it itself through itunes. What am i missing here? I haven't had one single movie that wouldn't play out of my itunes movie section. I have been transferring movies using handbrake or mac the ripper so maybe i have just been using the appropriate conversion, dont know.

Dont get me wrong i can tell i am going to love apple tv, but the boxee side of it hasn't been as impressive. And can anyone explain what the XMBC is for? Is this some alternate to boxee? What is the point of it?

mullman
Feb 16, 2009, 08:14 AM
AppleTV user since June 2007.
I actually buy very little content to watch from Apple, and have always seen Apple TV as a perfect avenue to view family pictures and video (I shoot HD) without huddling around the computer. The Apple TV can play 720p24 fine, and if you shoot in 1080i and run through Compressor the 540p output files also look great.

Regardless, I installed Boxee Friday and LOVE it.
This opens a whole new world IMHO for the Apple TV.
Sure the quality (CBS/Hulu) is not great and it does jitter bit, but what a goldmine of old entertainment with minimal commercials for FREE.
You can be a stickler and complain about the quality, but it works perfectly and you just cannot beat the price.
I watched old Addams Family episodes (and Twilight Zone) with the kids all weekend!

Kudos team Boxee! :)

When you Exit Boxee, it boots back to Apple TV, I switched back and forth a few times over the weekend.
Problem free.

taytho
Feb 16, 2009, 05:34 PM
i dont know what has happened with mine but for the past 3 weeks or so HULU has been incredibly slow. i have to pause and buffer multiple times between each break and it was never like that before. any suggestions?

macrazee
Feb 18, 2009, 07:00 PM
Worry about Hulu issues no more. As of Friday, Hulu is being removed from Boxee across the board.

akm3
Feb 18, 2009, 08:17 PM
i dont know what has happened with mine but for the past 3 weeks or so HULU has been incredibly slow. i have to pause and buffer multiple times between each break and it was never like that before. any suggestions?

As per the previous post, 'problem solved!' in a 'mission accomplished' sense.

I'm going to miss Hulu.

mullman
Feb 19, 2009, 06:19 AM
I'm going to miss Hulu.

+1, so stupid.

I can only assume PlayOn is next to remove Hulu.

aiannar974
Feb 19, 2009, 07:33 AM
I don't get it. So, if I have a HTPC I am OK. What did they really stop?