PDA

View Full Version : JBOD RAID on my PowerMac G3

froggytreafrogg
Oct 27, 2008, 06:59 AM
Hi, I own a PowerMac G3 with 2 hard drive disks. One is a 20gb and the other is a 40gb. I would like to combine the disks with a pseudoRAID type called JBOD. JBOD stands for 'just a bunch of disks.' It's not really RAID. What I'm after is to see these two drives as one 60gb drive. Is that possible? I'm running Mac OS X Tiger. Will appreciate any help. Thanks :apple:

leighonigar
Oct 27, 2008, 07:09 AM
Why!?

nanofrog
Oct 27, 2008, 09:41 AM
No, it's not possible. JBOD sees each disk as a single drive, and can't string them together. Sorry. :(

belvdr
Oct 27, 2008, 09:49 AM
No, it's not possible. JBOD sees each disk as a single drive, and can't string them together. Sorry. :(

Some JBOD implementations will concatenate the drives together. That said, I'm not sure there's anything in OS X that will do it.

nanofrog
Oct 27, 2008, 09:58 AM
Some JBOD implementations will concatenate the drives together. That said, I'm not sure there's anything in OS X that will do it.
I've never seen this ability in OS X, and tried to keep it as simple as possible. ;)

Dark Dragoon
Oct 27, 2008, 10:01 AM
I used to have a 500GB, 500Gb and 250GB hard drives in a concatenated JBOD array to give me around 1.2TB of disk space.

It mounts as a single drive (which I used as my Home). I used a separate 150GB drive to boot from, I can't remember if you can boot from the JBOD.

I did this in Tiger with my Mac Pro using Disk Utility,

froggytreafrogg
Oct 27, 2008, 03:16 PM
I used to have a 500GB, 500Gb and 250GB hard drives in a concatenated JBOD array to give me around 1.2TB of disk space.

It mounts as a single drive (which I used as my Home). I used a separate 150GB drive to boot from, I can't remember if you can boot from the JBOD.

I did this in Tiger with my Mac Pro using Disk Utility,

hi dark dragoon, thanks for the response. could you give me some details about how to go about doing this? Thanks.

Dark Dragoon
Oct 28, 2008, 04:46 AM
I've attached a screenshot from Disk Utility.

I selected the first hard drive, choose the RAID tab, then dragged the drives into the volume list and clicked Create. I think it was pretty much the same in Tiger. As far as I'm aware you will loose the data on the drives when you do this.

However I don't think this is going to work the way you want it to, as it appears that it's not going to be bootable. Unless you have a third hard drive which you can put your OS on.

froggytreafrogg
Oct 28, 2008, 07:06 AM
I've attached a screenshot from Disk Utility.

I selected the first hard drive, choose the RAID tab, then dragged the drives into the volume list and clicked Create. I think it was pretty much the same in Tiger. As far as I'm aware you will loose the data on the drives when you do this.

However I don't think this is going to work the way you want it to, as it appears that it's not going to be bootable. Unless you have a third hard drive which you can put your OS on.

thanks again for the reply

OrangeSVTguy
Oct 28, 2008, 09:56 AM
Also remember if one drive fails, you will loose all information store on all the drives in the RAID. Just back up your data.