PDA

View Full Version : high quality mic for iphone?

firewood
Oct 27, 2008, 12:14 PM
What's the highest quality mic available which can be plugged directly into an iphone? (e.g. no separate pre-amp required) I'm looking for a better alternative to the mic on the iPhone's headset earbuds, for taking spur-of-the-moment field recordings with my iPhone.

Thanks.

thegoldenmackid
Nov 2, 2008, 12:38 PM
Shure MPA?

AKmike
Nov 7, 2008, 04:20 PM
I have been looking for the same thing and my conclusion so far is that I will have to hack a cable and make something myself. From what I can tell, if you used an existing mic/headset or audio/video cable with 3.5mm plug you could cut it and then wire to a stereo headphone jack and mono mic jack.

I have a XLR to 3.5mm cable for plugging a mic into small inputs but it's 3.5mm plug is basically a mono audio connection so it wouldn't work with an iphone. I will need something that doesn't follow the same 4 contact configuration of the iphone jack. If that makes sense. You could even add a switch in there for pausing music since that happens just by shorting two of the conductors if I understand it correctly.

Good luck. If you find something that you see as quality you should post. there's not many, but there are a few people interested in this.

Also, you should check out an app called 4 tracks lite if you haven't already. It looks very promising.

geerlingguy
Aug 25, 2010, 01:25 PM
I've finally found a pretty good solution allowing me to plug in directly a Shure SM58/PG48/almost any dynamic mic, along with most lavalieres, a Crown SoundGrabber II PZM boundary mic, etc.