PDA

View Full Version : Backup 2.0.1 and Games for .Mac

MacRumors
Feb 4, 2004, 09:24 PM
Apple posted two new .Mac exclusives (http://www.mac.com) for members.

- 12 GameHouse Super Jigsaw Puzzles
- Pop & Drop Trial with Discount

Apple also updated Backup to version 2.0.1. The new version provides added quality and reliability improvements to scheduled backups and is now available through Software Update in System Preferences and as a download from .Mac.

fenlyn
Feb 4, 2004, 09:27 PM
Sweet... although Backup isn't showing up in my Software Update. Very odd.

stoid
Feb 4, 2004, 09:44 PM
They keep adding all this nifty stuff, I might just have to use my $100 tax return to pick up a year o' this!

pb1212580
Feb 4, 2004, 09:57 PM
I thought you have to download from .Mac not from Software Update.
I couldn't see it either...

Originally posted by fenlyn
Sweet... although Backup isn't showing up in my Software Update. Very odd.

GrannySmith_G5
Feb 4, 2004, 10:03 PM
The one thing I was a little upset about with the Mac platform was the lack of games. I say WAS, because that is no longer the case. Thanks for the jigsaws Apple, they blew me away. Oops, better run, I have a puzzle running in the background and my high tech cloud white ibook is starting to smoke.

mms
Feb 4, 2004, 10:15 PM
Is "Pop and Drop" another game?

And jigsaw puzzles... they was a set included with OS 9 but it sucked. Is this one any better?

gregorypierce
Feb 4, 2004, 10:25 PM
Jigsaw puzzles and a trial? Hmmm.... kinda slacking there :)

GrannySmith_G5
Feb 4, 2004, 10:25 PM
No, the jigsaw puzzles are not good. The pop and drop is a very crappy little game, and you can buy the full version for 13 bucks. I haven't tried backup yet. Overall, about as exciting as a new testicle hair.

Stewie
Feb 4, 2004, 10:38 PM
Nothing shows up in my Software updates, but it is in my iDisk

xtbfx
Feb 4, 2004, 10:56 PM
It's Backup 2.0.1 not 2.0

anodized
Feb 4, 2004, 11:00 PM
You betta back yo talk with backup 2.0.1.34556677 ™

;)

mms
Feb 4, 2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by xtbfx
It's Backup 2.0.1 not 2.0

Where has anyone said 2.0? Even if someone did, 2.0.1 is not that big of a difference.

michaelrjohnson
Feb 4, 2004, 11:07 PM
aaaaand THIS is why .mac isn't worth anything.

pb1212580
Feb 4, 2004, 11:10 PM
I did not notice any big speed difference but I could be wrong.

Running 10.3.2 G4 pb 12" 1.25Ram 1ghz.

TOOK A LONG TIME TO CALCULATE THE SIZE FOR 6 folders totaling 38GB...
I like the fact that they can tell you how many CDs or DVDs you need. or, if you have .Mac, it loads iDisk right away and you can see if you have enought space for it. I think this was in previous version already. i guess I need to read about what's new... ;)

but those were just my impressions this time.

Good program layout though.

2 cents!

Powerbook G5
Feb 4, 2004, 11:10 PM
.Mac is really worth it, though. But as everyone else has pointed out, I am not seeing the updated Backup program, either.

mms
Feb 4, 2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by michaelrjohnson

I think iDisk is worth a lot, especially if you switch between many computers. Backup is nice to have, and in the past, .Mac subscribers have been offered better benefits (I'm not defending this one... I agree that jigsaw puzzles aren't much).

pb1212580
Feb 4, 2004, 11:13 PM
I think .mac is awesome. But that's just me.

I quite enjoy the ability to be able to sync everything I care about between my 2 pbs, 2 ipods in the household; iCal, Addressbook, Bookmarks...

it's VERY handy for me to have addressbook, bookmark, (especially) iCal online.

also, it's a very reliable service. Webmail/Pop email as well...

the Interface is just one of the best. Clean, and really enjoyable to use...

the Pepsi ad on the other hand...

2 cents

Originally posted by michaelrjohnson

Kingsnapped
Feb 4, 2004, 11:14 PM
Thankfully, my soon-to-exprire free trial turned me off to .mac before I could blow 200% of my crappy tax return.

/:mad:

GrannySmith_G5
Feb 4, 2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Kingsnapped
Thankfully, my soon-to-exprire free trial turned me off to .mac before I could blow 200% of my crappy tax return.

/:mad:
be thankful you are still in the return and not the owe status. This is the first year I actually owe taxes, and let me tell you, I did not prepare for it.

robotrenegade
Feb 4, 2004, 11:25 PM
Upgrades are always welcome.:D

xtbfx
Feb 4, 2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by mms
Where has anyone said 2.0? Even if someone did, 2.0.1 is not that big of a difference.

It was on the MacBytes.com headline.. they just said Backup 2.0

Stewie
Feb 5, 2004, 12:56 AM
What does 2.0.1 fix? I can't seem to find anything on the apple web page about it.

Lincoln
Feb 5, 2004, 04:48 AM
I downloaded "Drop and Pop", its a great and very addictive puzzle game. However, how do I get it for $12.95, there is no info anywhere to get it at that price. I can purchase it for $19.95 no problem.

Apple's link to their website doesn't bring up a special page so I'm not sure how to make use of this offer.

Any ideas?

RandomDeadHead
Feb 5, 2004, 05:10 AM
Kinda crappie games but, I'm a sucker for freebees!

And for all you people whining about small tax return checks, Be glad you don't own your own newspaper and have to cut the gov't a 11K check this year.:(

wordmunger
Feb 5, 2004, 08:11 AM
if you have .mac, click on idisk--software--members only--dotmac software--Backup X 10.2. Then copy the file to your HD.

diniscorreia
Feb 5, 2004, 08:20 AM
...am I the only one having problems with Backup? Every time I do a backup, it does add new and modified files to the backup "set" BUT it doesn't remove from it files I've deleted from my Mac. Weird...:rolleyes:

Skiniftz
Feb 5, 2004, 08:25 AM
Can the new Backup work without .Mac though?

Kind of stupid to have a backup program that is perfectly capable of backing up to a network server on your LAN but only allowing it to work with a premium rate crappy service.

pbooker
Feb 5, 2004, 08:31 AM
You can only get Backup with .Mac - but it's not required to run it. Once it's installed on your computer you can backup to a network drive, CD, DVD, iPod or .Mac.

Originally posted by Skiniftz
Can the new Backup work without .Mac though?

Kind of stupid to have a backup program that is perfectly capable of backing up to a network server on your LAN but only allowing it to work with a premium rate crappy service.

cclifton
Feb 5, 2004, 08:39 AM
You can only get Backup with .Mac - but it's not required to run it. Once it's installed on your computer you can backup to a network drive, CD, DVD, iPod or .Mac.

It's true that you can back up to most any destination (including spanning across multiple CDs, nice!). However, I think Backup checks for .Mac membership each time it starts.

I suspect that if you let you membership lapse, Backup would stop working. Can anyone confirm?

wordmunger
Feb 5, 2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by diniscorreia
...am I the only one having problems with Backup? Every time I do a backup, it does add new and modified files to the backup "set" BUT it doesn't remove from it files I've deleted from my Mac. Weird...:rolleyes:

That's not a bug... it's a feature--in case you "accidentally" delete a file, you can restore from backup. ;)

Seriously, though, I guess they want you to use "clear iDisk backup folder" to delete old files from Backup. Kinda dumb.

Even dumber, how come my iDisk "MB available" indicator at the bottom of the finder window doesn't include Backup files? The only way to find out how much space I really have is to run Backup. This was the one thing I was hoping this upgrade would fix.

diniscorreia
Feb 5, 2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by wordmunger
That's not a bug... it's a feature--in case you "accidentally" delete a file, you can restore from backup. ;)

Seriously, though, I guess they want you to use "clear iDisk backup folder" to delete old files from Backup. Kinda dumb.

Hmm but in case of a restore I'll end up with files I don't want...
Or are we supposed to create a new backup set EVERY time we do a backup?

wordmunger
Feb 5, 2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by diniscorreia
Hmm but in case of a restore I'll end up with files I don't want...
Or are we supposed to create a new backup set EVERY time we do a backup?

No, just clear your iDisk backup folder every once in a while, not every time (Edit--Clear iDisk Backup Folder).

You're most worried about losing files you want, right? You're not so worried about having extra files you don't need, right? But I agree, Backup should handle this automatically.

pbooker
Feb 5, 2004, 09:08 AM
Well I just unplugged/turned off airport and could still do a backup to CD/DVD.

Originally posted by cclifton
It's true that you can back up to most any destination (including spanning across multiple CDs, nice!). However, I think Backup checks for .Mac membership each time it starts.

I suspect that if you let you membership lapse, Backup would stop working. Can anyone confirm?

diniscorreia
Feb 5, 2004, 09:13 AM
No, just clear your iDisk backup folder every once in a while, not every time (Edit--Clear iDisk Backup Folder).

You're most worried about losing files you want, right? You're not so worried about having extra files you don't need, right? But I agree, Backup should handle this automatically.

Hmm I see your point now :)
Although I'm backing up to my iPod, I guess the procedure is the same - create a new backup "set" every once in a while...

pbooker
Feb 5, 2004, 09:14 AM
Now I'm not so sure, even in light of what I just posted:

From the Backup 2.01 Installer:

System Requirements
To use Backup 2, you need:
• Mac OS X version 10.2.6 or later.
• A .Mac account. Full .Mac accounts can use all Backup features; .Mac trial accounts can back up only to iDisk.

wordmunger
Feb 5, 2004, 09:17 AM
Okay, Here's another problem I have with Backup. Why is the Address Book contacts file so large? With only 250 contacts, it's over 9 megs! I don't even use photos of my contacts, so that's just raw text data. Assuming a generous 1 K of data per contact, the Address Book file should be no larger than 250K.

That means if I want to keep a backup, nearly ten percent of my precious iDisk space is taken up by a file that should be trivial in size.

I wonder--now that iSync syncs my contacts, do I even need to use Backup to back them up--could I restore them with iSync if there were lost?

wordmunger
Feb 5, 2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by pbooker
Now I'm not so sure, even in light of what I just posted:

From the Backup 2.01 Installer:

System Requirements
To use Backup 2, you need:
• Mac OS X version 10.2.6 or later.
• A .Mac account. Full .Mac accounts can use all Backup features; .Mac trial accounts can back up only to iDisk.

It checks for .mac every time you run it. It wouldn't even run in a (non-hotspot) Starbucks the other day when I just wanted to change its settings.

pbooker
Feb 5, 2004, 09:19 AM
And if you're like me using iSync you probably have the same contacts on your other computer and possibly an iPod so really it's already backed up in 2 other places that you have "control" over, plus iSync on the web.

Okay, Here's another problem I have with Backup. Why is the Address Book contacts file so large? With only 250 contacts, it's over 9 megs! I don't even use photos of my contacts, so that's just raw text data. Assuming a generous 1 K of data per contact, the Address Book file should be no larger than 250K.

That means if I want to keep a backup, nearly ten percent of my precious iDisk space is taken up by a file that should be trivial in size.

I wonder--now that iSync syncs my contacts, do I even need to use Backup to back them up--could I restore them with iSync if there were lost?

wordmunger
Feb 5, 2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by pbooker
Well I just unplugged/turned off airport and could still do a backup to CD/DVD.

Are you sure? I just turned off Airport and couldn't even get it to run.

Edit: okay, I just figured out what I did. If you switch it to "backup to disk" before you quit, then turn off Airport, it works.

When I did this, however, it lost all my iDisk sets :mad:

That is about the lamest "feature" I can imagine.

Battman
Feb 5, 2004, 10:29 AM
Hi everybody. Just a thought.
The PUZZLES are nice, I think. I have about 3 games on my HD, and this is about as sophisticated as it gets, so you know I'm not a game guy, or any judge of how one game compares to another. What I do know is that this is exactly the kind of thing that can keep a friend's kid occupied for awhile when they're over here and that kind of thing. The slider that changes the difficulty of each puzzle is a great idea, I think. So I'm not posting to complain about the graphics or that nobody dies when you're playing it it something. It's nice...
I have yet to successfully BACKUP (via BACKUP 2.x). I've had this tell me that I had a bad CD (one after the other, hanging in exactly the same place while writing to the disc) with each of the last few versions. Obviously there's a file that it's having trouble with, but BACKUP's log fails to give any information other than what DID backup successfully. Then, it always ends with USER QUIT BACKUP. I quit the backup because when it tells me there's a problem (and it always does at exactly the same point) because there are no other options. I already posted to .mac forums, and began the troubleshooting process. Getting REALLY tired of this, as I know there's a good chance that others know what this is. The .MAC guys just dig through the prompts on their computers, as if I'm the first one that ever experienced this.

I am Battman

cleo
Feb 5, 2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Lincoln
I downloaded "Drop and Pop", its a great and very addictive puzzle game. However, how do I get it for $12.95, there is no info anywhere to get it at that price. I can purchase it for $19.95 no problem.

Apple's link to their website doesn't bring up a special page so I'm not sure how to make use of this offer.

Any ideas?

I can't find the discount either, and seeing as how I've already wasted two hours on this game, it's a pretty good sign that I'll be using it lots more in the future... IF I can figure out how to get the discount. If anyone figures this out or sees something we're not, please let us know...

MacBandit
Feb 5, 2004, 12:39 PM
10.3 and 10.2 users now have Backup at 2.0.1 but those poor 10.1 users are stuck at version 1.1.

Come on Apple think of your users you're screwing them again.

:rolleyes: :p

PRØBE
Feb 5, 2004, 05:26 PM
Dammit I'm selling my old G4 tower in 2 days and tried (dozens of times) to use Backup 2.0 and then the upgrade 2.01 to backup my files to CD.
I'm running OsX.2.8 and a full .Mac account.

First of all it runs sooo slowly it reminds of of when I tried to use photoshop on VPC (Yeah I know that was silly) Whenever I click on anything in Backup it takes an eternity to respond. It recognizes my external CD burner (after thinking about it for 3 or 4 minutes) and then acts as if all is well.
It takes another few minutes to prepare everything for burning and then after another loooooong wait pretends to burn my CD. Cunning as I am though, I check the light on my CD burner and notice it's not recording anything. I wait....and wait some more and eventually have to Force quit Backup. I repeated the above many times until my patience wore thin.Lucky I only wasted (LOT'S OF) time and not any CDs I guess.

I am now using trusty Toast Titanium but I don't know how to backup all the emails and preferences which was why I hoped to use Backup.

Any ideas what's up?

MacBandit
Feb 5, 2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by PRØBE
Dammit I'm selling my old G4 tower in 2 days and tried (dozens of times) to use Backup 2.0 and then the upgrade 2.01 to backup my files to CD.
I'm running OsX.2.8 and a full .Mac account.

First of all it runs sooo slowly it reminds of of when I tried to use photoshop on VPC (Yeah I know that was silly) Whenever I click on anything in Backup it takes an eternity to respond. It recognizes my external CD burner (after thinking about it for 3 or 4 minutes) and then acts as if all is well.
It takes another few minutes to prepare everything for burning and then after another loooooong wait pretends to burn my CD. Cunning as I am though, I check the light on my CD burner and notice it's not recording anything. I wait....and wait some more and eventually have to Force quit Backup. I repeated the above many times until my patience wore thin.Lucky I only wasted (LOT'S OF) time and not any CDs I guess.

I am now using trusty Toast Titanium but I don't know how to backup all the emails and preferences which was why I hoped to use Backup.

Any ideas what's up?

Only backup the prefs that you absolutely can't reconfigure. Prefs often contain glitches that will cause problems on a new system. In fact you Backup problems sound like a bad pref file.

Awimoway
Feb 5, 2004, 08:46 PM
Backup 2.0 was not performing the timed backup as it should have. 2.0.1 is. So I am very pleased with the little update. It made a difference for me.

kubrick
Feb 8, 2004, 02:40 PM
... and has just done a full backup of 20 gig from this Mac to another on the network. No checking of .Mac account status at all, from what I could see.

Nice to know that .Mac is still giving value even 4 months after I stopped paying for it ;)