Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broncopde

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Conway, AR
Will the blu-ray work well with 10.5?

I'm not sure about this. As said so many times, macs work so well in part to the OS and software being built specifically for Apple hardware. I'm not so sure it will all work out, but time will tell. One thing is for sure: Psystar is a whole lot more legit than they were at the beginning.

dohardthings

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
although it is illegal for them to pirate the software i would not mind apple having a competitor

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
They are not a competitor - a competitor actually has to do something!

There's nothing hard to this. I could put one together myself as they are industry standard parts. I wish Apple would modify the EULA so I can buy their software and install it legally. I would pay more than a Mac user just so I could run it on whatever hardware I want. I want the OS, not their overpriced hardware.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So, are these criminals still free-riding on Apple's R&D and selling machines to the "masses"? I hope they close up shop in no time.

there is nothing wrong selling machines that are from generic parts

thing is they picked the parts that the hackintosh community has had success with on osx. i dont see how it is illegal at all if they arent installing leopard or anything anymore i would imagine..

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
thing is they picked the parts that the hackintosh community has had success with on osx. i dont see how it is illegal at all if they arent installing leopard or anything anymore i would imagine..

Psystar is doing just that though, otherwise they would hardly be mentioned.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Shouldn't be that hard since the 9800GT is a 8800GT. Stop tempting me Psystar...

Why are you tempted? Get OSX86 and throw your own rig together.

Why are people criticizing them when they are still paying for a copy of Leopard? They may be violating EULA, but they aren't stealing the OS from Apple.

It's good to have them around because it forces Apple to offer a comparable product rather than withholding certain releases.

ChemiosMurphy

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Warminster, PA
Wow. They purchase the OSX copies legally. Eula's are not legally binding. Who cares. Everyone here complains about Microsofts WGA, but Apple's EULA is the same damn thing.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
These things look to be so awesome.. Maybe if Apple wouldn't be such a suing machine, these guys could be getting some more stuff out..
But what's struggling me, is why add the bluray if there is no playback on the Mac yet?

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
It's good to have them around because it forces Apple to offer a comparable product rather than withholding certain releases.

How has Psystar "forced" Apple to do anything? :confused:
Has Apple changed any of its business models or introduced the mythical mid-range Mac tower?
Psystar is no threat to Apple.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So, are these criminals still free-riding on Apple's R&D and selling machines to the "masses"? I hope they close up shop in no time.

Criminals? Not one jurisdiction has charged them with a crime, not one. Apple took them to civil court but it seems Apple has backed off and is using a private means to settle.

I have said all along that Apple has a LOT more to loose then Psystar. If Apple looses they get their entire EULA thing invalidated. If Psystar loses, well they have no assets, nothing to loose. Notice that Apple backed off on the suit. Going to court is always a gamble Gambling is not good when the stakes are so uneven, notice how Apple has moved away from the civil court action.

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
"It's good to have them around because it forces Apple to offer a comparable product rather than withholding certain releases."

EXACTLY. FORUM DONE. THIS SAYS IT ALL.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
How has Psystar "forced" Apple to do anything? :confused:
Has Apple changed any of its business models or introduced the mythical mid-range Mac tower?
Psystar is no threat to Apple.

They will, assuming they continue to offer things that Apple specifically does not. They're still around because they're selling machines, and offering stuff Apple won't should only increase what they can sell. I'm sure Apple foresaw this (As part of the reason to get rid of them other than brand dilution) and laid them with a suit (to begin with).

schneb

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
I've said it before. Psystar would die on the vine if Apple offered hardware that the Prosumer wanted and not having such a large gap between iMac and Mac Pros.

Apple should offer something akin to Psystar at a competitive price. In 6 months, no more Psystar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.