Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Two weeks ago, both Apple and Psystar have agreed to Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) in which both parties can try to work out a resolution rather than going to trial.

Resolution: Apple crushes Psystar like Mustakrakish. I still don't see this ending well for Psystar.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
On the contrary, if Apple could crush them that easily, why settle?

Maybe it's easier to crush them out of court than under the watchful eye of Justice. Wait, Justice is blind, right? Well, she still has ears.

poundsmack

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
How has Psystar "forced" Apple to do anything? :confused:
Has Apple changed any of its business models or introduced the mythical mid-range Mac tower?
Psystar is no threat to Apple.

They forced Apple to sue them :) (not really but i couldn't resist). either way, having another company (especialy in an "underground" kinda way) make a competing product like they are doing is actualy rather good for apple. here is why;

1. it keeps apple and OSX in the spotlight. this generates cheap press for apple, after all to mimic is the highest form of flattery.

2. it forces apple to be competitive with their hardware offerings. apple will likely sit on new features and play the safe card, but i doubt they will do it as long as they have in the past now.

3. the underground interest. this is allowing people to get into OSX without buying a mac mini (a system where apple has much less markup on). now interetsed developers can get a system and start coding who cant otherwise afford apples price tag and apple still makes money from the licence purches or OSX.

4. release hype. one of the best ways to generate hype about a product is to play leapforg with your competition. AMD and Nvidia do it all the time. companies that dont have anyone to really play leapfrog with (Microsoft) offten have to resort ot other business tactics to spur sales of there primary product (an example, just a theoretical example mind you ;), would be to release a stable OS then release, and force, something new that people wont like as much, then release a product to save them that is better. much like how Coke did with "new coke" and then bringing back coke clasic, its a commonly used, though not offten discussed, marketing tacktic).

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Their setups just keep getting better. Not as elegant as the real deal, but a heckuva lot cheaper.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Criminals? Not one jurisdiction has charged them with a crime, not one. Apple took them to civil court but it seems Apple has backed off and is using a private means to settle.

I have said all along that Apple has a LOT more to loose then Psystar. If Apple looses they get their entire EULA thing invalidated. If Psystar loses, well they have no assets, nothing to loose. Notice that Apple backed off on the suit. Going to court is always a gamble Gambling is not good when the stakes are so uneven, notice how Apple has moved away from the civil court action.

Pirates are criminals in the US, right? They did the same by illegally using patches to make OS X run on their machines.

As for the ADR, Apple DID NOT back off on the suit. They simply went through the ADR procedure because this is a normal formality in the litigation process, as an attempt to settle things more "easily". This does NOT mean Apple is waiving the normal lawsuit, quite the opposite actually.

And yes, I truly hope Apple crushes these free-riders with the iron fist of the law. Those that still think that Apple makes money on the OS instead of the hardware are the same ones that have no idea what happened back in the 90s with the clone era.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I don't care what anyone says or what the price is... I'd rather have a Rolex than a Romex or Rayban's and not Bayran's. Having the real thing is always better than a swamp meet/flea market quality cheap knock off.

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
They will, assuming they continue to offer things that Apple specifically does not.
Uh, Dell sells products that Apple does not sell, but I have not seen Apple rushing to release Dell-type computers. Steve Jobs said recently that there are consumers that Apple does not cater to—that is the cheap-o/budget PC crowd. The mid-range tower from Apple is a pipe-dream.

flashEX

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Guys, it's not true that there's no Blu-Ray support on OSX. Just that it's not integrated into the OSX platform. If one does research, there is actually an AACS decoding application call DumpHD. ( however if you live in a country restricted by DMCA you can either stop reading here and not break the law.) But cut the story short, with DumpHD and proper hookup to MPlayer, it will play Blu-Ray. Stop the BS about it not running on OSX because it does however it's a hacky solution.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
No. I don't give a crap about Hollywood movies and if I did DVD is good enough. Blu-Ray is a great data format. Maybe even a good backup format. But I think you are right most people now days use computers as media players
At nearly $20 for 25 GB of storage ($800 per TB), Blu-Ray is an extremely expensive backup media, and not a proven media at that.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Pirates are criminals in the US, right? They did the same by illegally using patches to make OS X run on their machines.

As for the ADR, Apple DID NOT back off on the suit. They simply went through the ADR procedure because this is a normal formality in the litigation process, as an attempt to settle things more "easily". This does NOT mean Apple is waiving the normal lawsuit, quite the opposite actually.

And yes, I truly hope Apple crushes these free-riders with the iron fist of the law. Those that still think that Apple makes money on the OS instead of the hardware are the same ones that have no idea what happened back in the 90s with the clone era.

In other words, you would like to pay more for Apple equipment. Why would anyone not want a competitor for Apple's hardware? Apple's product may be more appealing to the eye, but I think paying less for higher performing hardware is a better deal.

Also, I'd rather have a competitor in the hardware arena, and pay more for OS X. Even if I had to pay $300 for the OS, I would still come out cheaper in the end.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I don't care what anyone says or what the price is... I'd rather have a Rolex than a Romex or Rayban's and not Bayran's. Having the real thing is always better than a swamp meet/flea market quality cheap knock off.

So what is cheap in Psystar's offering? CPU, graphics, memory? Apple uses the same architecture as other companies and charges a huge surcharge for doing so.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Those that still think that Apple makes money on the OS instead of the hardware

O RLY? Tell that to MS.

Uh, Dell sells products that Apple does not sell, but I have not seen Apple rushing to release Dell-type computers. Steve Jobs said recently that there are consumers that Apple does not cater to—that is the cheap-o/budget PC crowd. The mid-range tower from Apple is a pipe-dream.

And when Dell starts selling computers with OSX, this will be relevant.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I hope that Apple kills these bastards. They have no right what so ever to make these machines and sell them with OS X on them. Apple needs to slam these cocky a$$holes into the ground with a court case that will bankrupt them.

End Rant/

Don

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Find this kind of funny! There's the Psystar ad directly above the story about Psystar stealing Mac rights...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    330.1 KB · Views: 157

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005

Ever hear of libel? Psystar have not been convicted of any offense and as such should not be referred to as "criminals".

As for ADR, I'm sure Psystar were terrified when Apple decided to engage in a dialogue rather than further engage the courts.

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Apple uses the same architecture as other companies and charges a huge surcharge for doing so.
Not really. Apple does not make a budget PC and that is why it appears that competitors' prices are better for every class of computer. . When you spec a competitors' machine to match a Mac's spec, the price difference isn't as much as one would think.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
I hope that Apple kills these bastards. They have no right what so ever to make these machines and sell them with OS X on them. Apple needs to slam these cocky a$$holes into the ground with a court case that will bankrupt them.

End Rant/

Don

They don't.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
You can already run Mac OS X on a Dell, just like on a Psystar machine. Hacked Dell's are just as much of a threat as Hackintoshes from Psystar.

No, because few are willing to take the risk that actually involves installing OSX on a normally windows box.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Not really. Apple does not make a budget PC and that is why it appears that competitors' prices are better for every class of computer. . When you spec a competitors' machine to match a Mac's spec, the price difference isn't as much as one would think.

Okay, well compare a MB and my Dell Inspiron 1525. I paid $369 for the system, and it has a 15" screen and 2GB of RAM. Why pay more for a smaller screen and less memory? Even if you take off $129 for the OS, it's still more.

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
No, because few are willing to take the risk that actually involves installing OSX on a normally windows box.
And few will buy a Psystar to run Mac OS X. My point was, hacked Dell's are just as much of a threat as hackintoshes from Psystar.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
It's funny to see how upset people get over these type of issues...

Lots of Mac users have been crying out fro blur ray support for ages. Apple offers HD this, HD that but offer it's users no way of burning their HD movies.

Other computer makers seem able to make affordable machines with BluRay drives so I don't quite buy the argument that the licensing is too expensive. PC users have been enjoying Bluray for a long time.

Psystar are now offering bluray, great, I hope they show Apple up. I won't be buying one of their machines but if it helps Apple get their asses in gear then great.

Don't see why anyone would vote this negative.

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Okay, well compare a MB and my Dell Inspiron 1525. I paid $369 for the system, and it has a 15" screen and 2GB of RAM. Why pay more for a smaller screen and less memory? Even if you take off $129 for the OS, it's still more.
You can't compare the two because they are too different. You must spec a competitors' machine to match a Mac. Compare the new MB to the Dell XPS M1330scfasdv-00:d3 (13") to the new MB. You have to customize it to match the MB's specs as close as is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.