PDA

View Full Version : Installed new hard drive in iBook G4- circle with slash through it now!

TheScavenger
Oct 28, 2008, 09:49 PM
I just installed a 160GB 5400RPM hdd in place of my old 30GB 4200RPM hdd. I booted the computer from the Panther install disc one but all that appears is a grey screen with a circle/slash. I've tried resetting the PRAM and PMU and that didnt help.

Any advice?

clyde2801
Oct 29, 2008, 03:05 AM
Did you format the new hard drive with your install disks?

TheScavenger
Oct 29, 2008, 11:16 AM
Did you format the new hard drive with your install disks?

How do I do that? I don't have the original restore discs.

Its amazing how I can know so much about windows based systems and so little about Macs :D

TheScavenger
Oct 30, 2008, 02:40 AM
Anyone?

GreenEyed85
Oct 30, 2008, 06:45 AM
Anyone?

Doesn't sound like it's booting from the disk have you tried booting with "C"?

Press 'C' before you get to the grey screen and it should boot up from the CD.

TheScavenger
Oct 30, 2008, 10:12 AM
I've tried booting up with "C" to boot from the CD. When I do that by clicking on the picture of the install disc after holding down "C", the computer thinks for a bit and then the circle/slash comes up.

clyde2801
Oct 30, 2008, 11:31 AM
What cd are you trying to boot from?

soberbrain
Oct 30, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've tried booting up with "C" to boot from the CD. When I do that by clicking on the picture of the install disc after holding down "C", the computer thinks for a bit and then the circle/slash comes up.

Since holding down "C" didn't work, try holding down "option"

This will display available devices to boot from such as hard drive, external drive, CD.

FJ218700
Oct 30, 2008, 11:54 AM
unless that new hard drive came with OS X installed, you're going to need the install DVD, assuming that the iBook has a DVD reader.

if you don't have the original discs, you're going to have to fins an external 2.5 inch adapter or another mac to clone an OS onto the new drive.

TheScavenger
Oct 30, 2008, 12:00 PM
What cd are you trying to boot from?

Panther Install Disc 1

FJ218700
Oct 30, 2008, 12:21 PM
Panther Install Disc 1

did holding "option" work for you?

Keep it held down from before you hit the power until you see the grey screen with the CD icon in the middle, a refresh icon on the bottom left and a proceed icon on the bottom right of the screen.

select the CD icon and hit the proceed icon

TheScavenger
Oct 30, 2008, 12:41 PM
did holding "option" work for you?

Keep it held down from before you hit the power until you see the grey screen with the CD icon in the middle, a refresh icon on the bottom left and a proceed icon on the bottom right of the screen.

select the CD icon and hit the proceed icon

I've tried this. After selecting the CD icon it goes to the circle/slash.

FJ218700
Oct 30, 2008, 02:14 PM
I've tried this. After selecting the CD icon it goes to the circle/slash.

what system did the iBook come with?

is it a retail Panther CD or a system restore disc?