PDA

View Full Version : Fred Anderson to Retire as Apple CFO

MacRumors
Feb 5, 2004, 08:14 AM
Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/feb/05anderson.html) that Fred Anderson, Apple's executive vice president and Chief Financial Officer (CFO), will be retiring on June 1 2004.

Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s senior vice president of Finance and corporate controller will succeed Mr. Anderson as CFO.

At that time, Fred Anderson will then be appointed to Apple's Board of Directors.

DanUk2003
Feb 5, 2004, 08:16 AM
Not directly related, but it makes me wonder how many more years Jobs will remain CEO...

awulf
Feb 5, 2004, 08:25 AM
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

jrv3034
Feb 5, 2004, 08:25 AM
Is this bad news? Good news? What do shareholders think?

EDIT: Beat me to it.;)

oldMac
Feb 5, 2004, 08:26 AM
Fred totally saved Apple from doom.

- He raised money when they need it most
- He hoarded cash before the downturn
- He managed to keep investments in the black while the market was spiraling

Fred is an Amazing CFO and he'll hopefully stay very involved as a board member.

Other.au
Feb 5, 2004, 08:27 AM
*Dreads the day jobs retires*

I hope when he leaves there will be good replacement.

wPod
Feb 5, 2004, 08:30 AM
Happy Retirement Mr. Anderson . . .
and congratulations to Mr. Oppenheimer.

Jobs remain CEO. . . forever!!! that will be the new apple product. . . a life support system . . . iLife . . . wait that name is already used

Photorun
Feb 5, 2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the memories Fred. You kept a pulse in Apple through some tough times and we welcome you to the board. And all those teleconferences you did without wearing any pants... hysterical!

jorel
Feb 5, 2004, 08:38 AM
Sounds like good news. Seems that maybe he feels comfortable enough with the current financial status of Apple that he can catch up on his fishing.

Ambrose Chapel
Feb 5, 2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by jorel
Sounds like good news. Seems that maybe he feels comfortable enough with the current financial status of Apple that he can catch up on his fishing.

yeah, that's a positive way to look at it :)

virividox
Feb 5, 2004, 10:26 AM
MR. ANDERSON...

hehe sorry matrix speaking

hope he has a good retirment and i hope his replacement can build on his successes

Silencio
Feb 5, 2004, 10:37 AM
I always said that, besides Steve Jobs, Fred Anderson was the most irreplacable executive at Apple. He has done an incredible job helping to bring the company back from the brink of death and steadily building up healthy financials through all the ups and downs of the greater tech marketplace. That Apple has billions in the bank and wiped out all of its debts speaks volumes of his accomplishments.

Still, I think Peter Oppenheimer is the right man to take over. He's been at Apple for a while and worked very closely with Fred, slowly taking over more and more of the financial operations and showing similarly good results.

It's also good news that Fred will be on the Board of Directors, so he will still be around to offer his financial wisdom.

Congratulations to Fred on a long, successful run at Apple. Enjoy your retirement.

wdlove
Feb 5, 2004, 10:44 AM
Congratulations on your retirement Mr. Anderson. At least his knowledge will still be available on the Board Of Directors. Hopefully he has done a good job grooming Mr. Oppenheimer for the job of CFO. That he will be able to enter the job running.

Krizoitz
Feb 5, 2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Other.au
*Dreads the day jobs retires*

I hope when he leaves there will be good replacement.

Jonathan Ive. He gets it.

mrsebastian
Feb 5, 2004, 10:54 AM
happy retirement fred :D good to see you'll still be part of apple, as a member of the board.

geerlingguy
Feb 5, 2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by virividox
MR. ANDERSON...

hehe sorry matrix speaking

hope he has a good retirment and i hope his replacement can build on his successes

My thoughts exactly (especially the Matrix reference)

iPC
Feb 5, 2004, 12:17 PM
Another way to look at it is this; it's a powerplay by Jobs to get another ardent supporter of his on the board with him. Rumors are swirling as Apple's market position is not much different from 2 years ago, even with the influx of cool new technology. (similar to the situation over at Disney - Eisner is walking a fine line also. www.savedisney.com )

mullmann
Feb 5, 2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by iPC
Another way to look at it is this; it's a powerplay by Jobs to get another ardent supporter of his on the board with him. Rumors are swirling as Apple's market position is not much different from 2 years ago, even with the influx of cool new technology. (similar to the situation over at Disney - Eisner is walking a fine line also. www.savedisney.com )

Apple's board is a real weak spot, filled with Jobs fans and people generally ignorant of the businesses that Apple is in (are you listening, Al Gore?). I don't know how Anderson rates in the former category, but at least he doesn't fit into the latter. That's good news.

sfoalex
Feb 5, 2004, 12:51 PM
You'll notice if you listen to the quarterly financial results that Peter is always there. He has been groomed for years for this. He is refereed to by Anderson for many of the answers during these meetings. It is a great lose, but I think this is also one of the best executed transitions and remember, Fred will be on the board of directors.

anodized
Feb 5, 2004, 01:13 PM
Well, we know now that when Mr Anderson retires on June 6 the G6 will come out, and Apple will make the biggest breakthrough in History --

Oh he's going to the board...
nevermind :cool:

tex210
Feb 5, 2004, 01:23 PM
Glad this isn't a Haliburton type thing, but this isn't as exciting to me as the ichat 2.x beta that is video compatible with Aim!!! Arn?

sethypoo
Feb 5, 2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by anodized
Well, we know now that when Mr Anderson retires on June 6 the G6 will come out, and Apple will make the biggest breakthrough in History --

Oh he's going to the board...
nevermind :cool:

He's retiring on June 1st.

And I think Fred will be a proponent of the new G6.

MrMacMan
Feb 5, 2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Photorun
Thanks for the memories Fred. You kept a pulse in Apple through some tough times and we welcome you to the board. And all those teleconferences you did without wearing any pants... hysterical! Teleconferences without pants?

Whhaaa?

Link me to that!:eek:

Good luck on that Fishin' Mr. Anderson...

Frohickey
Feb 5, 2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by wPod
Happy Retirement Mr. Anderson . . .
and congratulations to Mr. Oppenheimer.

Jobs remain CEO. . . forever!!! that will be the new apple product. . . a life support system . . . iLife . . . wait that name is already used

iClone... not to be confused with imClone ;)

Frohickey
Feb 5, 2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/feb/05anderson.html) that Fred Anderson, Apple's executive vice president and Chief Financial Officer (CFO), will be retiring on June 1 2004.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

ddbean
Feb 5, 2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by tex210
...but this isn't as exciting to me as the ichat 2.x beta that is video compatible with Aim!!! Arn?

This AIM/iChat integration makes me wonder if iSight will be updated with Windows compatibility real soon (without an extra microphone)?

"Because the iSight is also a standards-based camera, Knight said that AIM users should be able to use it as their video device if they want to -- he added that Windows users would also need an external microphone or another source of audio if they were using the iSight on a Windows PC, unlike their Mac counterparts."

(Edit-Clarified from MAc-Central news)

yoman
Feb 5, 2004, 04:51 PM
So far the Mac's 20th Anniversary:

1) FCE 2.0
2) Garageband plus updated iLife apps
3) iPod mini
4) Remake of original Macintosh commercial
5) Pepsi-iTunes Giveaway
6) Apple CFO retires.

What gives? This is all neat but I have needs. These needs are not being met. I guess my impatience is foolish but I just wanted a little more substance from Apple these first few weeks. Oh well. :)

Rower_CPU
Feb 5, 2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Frohickey
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Why? Worried about a pay cut? ;)

true777
Feb 5, 2004, 05:32 PM
I don't know... I've been listening to those quarterly earnings calls for a while, and I never liked the way Oppenheimer was talking too much. I was always glad that he wasn't CFO. He sounded somewhat weak, uncomfortable, uninvolved, bookish; not clear and convincing like Anderson.

Anderson has been an amazing CFO, as well as a convincing speaker on those earnings calls, even during tough times. I doubt Peter Oppenheimer is quite up to Anderson's level yet, but I hope he'll develop a little more courage and oversight with his new position. I'm glad Anderson is sticking around in the board. He was probably most instrumental to Apple's survival, together with Steve and Ive.

Frohickey
Feb 5, 2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Why? Worried about a pay cut? ;)

ph_555_shag
Feb 6, 2004, 04:31 AM
i've listened to the conference calls for a while now and i've kinda ended up liking him, coz he has a sense of humor.... neway its bad when the head of any division of the company retires.

Krizoitz
Feb 6, 2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by ph_555_shag
i've listened to the conference calls for a while now and i've kinda ended up liking him, coz he has a sense of humor.... neway its bad when the head of any division of the company retires.

But not necessarilly so bad when a certain CEO gets ousted *cough* *cough* AMELIO *cough* *cough*

Supa_Fly
Feb 6, 2004, 10:58 PM
bummer, I was really looking forward to a work visa to the USA in 2 yrs time and MAYBE getting into a university with co-op to learn from Mr. Anderson.

There goes dream job #1, onto dream job #2.

that Amelio thing is really funny.

Accountants no matter what level are usually kind of bookish, because well hey your talking about mega dollas that's not your own to people you need mega dollas from.......He's done a great job not only squirrelling dow away for the rainy days, but making those shrewd investments come thru no matter how bad Jobs wanted it....he made sure they happened on frugal yet good timing. Moreover he's done an exellent job on auditing the company....

I think this is the ONLY CFO to plan or announce a retirement in the last 2 yrs in the USA that had nothing tainted with it along the lines of SCO investigation, or criminal auditing procedures, or insider trading et cetera et cetera.

Good Job, oops I mine Farewell Mr. Anderson (matrix tone....that actor is amazing isn't he?!!)

Bunny
Feb 7, 2004, 01:28 AM
If this guy had a clue, he would have retired years ago
The stupid old fool needs to get into his wheel chair, and ride the damb thing off a cliff. He has not helped one bit at Apple, and I know that Steve hated his guts too. Steve is reported to have said to him that he was "A menice to the company, a rogue to the companies finances".

I dont think that Apple will suffer one little bit as an FO's job is the same as any other FO's job.

Good bye, you old fool.