Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlejandroGonzo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2002
Aurora, CO
I have questions about purchasing a Mac from myself and an aquaintance of mine.

First the aquaintance. He works for the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and Apple has a special upgrade program with them until June 15 during which he can purchase a the following system for this price.

PowerMac G4 Dual 1GHz with 22" Flat Cinema Display
Dual 1GHz G4 Processors
256K L2 cache & 2MB L3 cache
512MB SDRAM memory on 133MHz System Bus
80GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive (CD/DVD/CD-RW/DVD-R)
4x AGP NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Graphics with 64MB DDR
2 FireWire Ports and 2 USB Ports
10/100/1000 Ethernet
56K internal modem
Pro Keyboard and Pro Mouse
22" Apple Cinema Display (flat screen) 1600x1024 resolution
AppleCare Three Year Warranty

Special Program Price
$3798.00

Should he buy now, or get an upgraded one at the normal education price after MWNY?

As for me, I want a Powerbook, and have to get one before the end of August. Should I go ahead and buy now, with the hope that there will not be any further improvements for awhile or wait until the last possible moment to purchase?

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Holy cow!!! Buy now!! There will definetly be a faster computer in July, but not with a 22" cinema display for only $3700!!

Hell, buy me one too!

-Pete

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I'd say to go for it with both. The tibook's aren't going to be updated for a while now, and the current model is a screamer (according to alpha and the others who've bought the 800), whilst that sort of offer of a dual 1GHz isn't going to be easily beaten! There's a MW in a couple of weeks, where faster models will no doubt be released, but that's a fast computer already, at a damn good price.

AlejandroGonzo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2002
Aurora, CO
Thanks for the advice. I felt the same way, but you want some reassurance before plunking down thousands of dollars. Would appreciate anyone else who would like to comment.

Another question, does the Powerbook come with Appleworks? Can I get Office X cheaper than the $199 offered at the education store if I get it from a university in general?

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I don't know about the option of getting office cheaper elsewhere, but appleworks is not not included with the tibook. If you check the tech specs on apple's web site, appleworks is not in the list of included software. Sucks a bit really. I'd wanted appleworks.... but hey, it's nowhere near as expensive at office! :p

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
I do believe that AppleWorks is a free download from your iDisk. Could be wrong on this one, but I SWEAR that I saw it there last night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.