Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This forum post claims that some future iTunes songs may be published without one or more tracks to allow for playing along by the listener

Today I put together different mixes from the new band Damage Plan (formerly Pantera) to be sold on iTunes. The neat thing is each track has the song without certain instruments. Track one is without vocals, track 2 is without drums, track 3 is without guitars, etc... They did this so their young aspiring rock star fans can add their own instruments and play along with the tracks.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Multitrack AAC files

Sounds like iTunes will sell Karaoke tracks.

Instead of individual tracks with specific instruments taken out, why not sell one 8-track AAC file? With such a file instruments could be switched on an off to suit the musician that wants to play along to it.

squatch

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Great for GarageBand

Sounds like a great way to promote GarageBand heavily through the ole "trojan horse" scheme that iTunes/iPod is suppose to be conducting on Windows users. :) Sounds like I do have a reason to buy iLife '04 after all.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds fun!

I'd make all the altered versions of a track sell together as album only--all for .99 or 1.98. (The original track would be sold separately for .99.)

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
This has potential. I think Apple is really trying to get lots of budding musicians going - trying to release the creative potential inside every one of us. This ties in very well with the iTunes/iPod consumer thing and will sell more Macs in the long run.

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
hate to be the bearer of bad news... but the 8 different instruments on one song can't really happen. The audio programs used by the big boys is just like photoshop or final cut pro... it's all a bunch of layers and to make your song you have to flatten and render it out to a single track. That's why the guy had to make 4 different versions of his song. I guess they could start putting up garage band files and have those for sale with 8 different tracks; but I don't know how big of files a garage band track makes? Besides that all the big studios aren't gonna use garage band to mix their albums so i doubt that'll happen any time soon. I'm not dissing garage band but the big studios spend quite a bit more on their editing hardware and software. This would be a cool idea though and wouldn't suprise me if in a few years bands start releasing specialized songs for garage band for people to play with.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by theISHkid
hate to be the bearer of bad news... but the 8 different instruments on one song can't really happen. The audio programs used by the big boys is just like photoshop or final cut pro... it's all a bunch of layers and to make your song you have to flatten and render it out to a single track. That's why the guy had to make 4 different versions of his song. I guess they could start putting up garage band files and have those for sale with 8 different tracks; but I don't know how big of files a garage band track makes? Besides that all the big studios aren't gonna use garage band to mix their albums so i doubt that'll happen any time soon. I'm not dissing garage band but the big studios spend quite a bit more on their editing hardware and software. This would be a cool idea though and wouldn't suprise me if in a few years bands start releasing specialized songs for garage band for people to play with.

I do not doubt that most mainstream music tracks use 60+ tracks before being rendered down to two, for stereo listening. Having said that, if Apple starts selling these rumoured re-mastered tracks there is no reason why guitars could not be consolidated into one track, drums in another, and so on. Eight tracks would be plenty for the purpose of home-jamming along to your favourite artists.

hokka

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2003
Sydney
Doubts!

My first reaction was "how will the artists think of this? And would all of them like it to happen? Freely available to anyone? Is this breaking Copy-Right Law?"

Secondly, "this would not only encourage people to practice - but more importantly remix! and if so, soon there'd be boat-load of (not only) crap-songs generated by GB online, but crap remixes / karaoke versions you and I make" and is that really a good thing for the "professional" music industry.

I guess if this happens, many songs people download off P2P will be even more crappier! and many "fakes".... hahaha!

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
that would be awesome!. they would actually just need to make photoshop-like layers to the files and there can be an open in garageband option under the advanced menu. i would love this.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Hmm... somehow I don't think this is gonna fly. Joe user can't just remix a song (even if he has access to the individual tracks) and "post" it on ITMS. Apple will just say "who the hell is this? This guy isn't with the band/label" and trash it.

And if they started releasing songs with all the instruments individually separated out, this would make the file a lot larger (ie if you have 4 stereo tracks, thats a file that is 4x the size of the original.)

I'm not saying its a terrible idea, just that I highly doubt Apple would do it... and that the industry will even let them.

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
This doesn't sound like a very good idea to me, plus you can't even import protected AAC files into GarageBand.

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
Although having stuff like partial tracks to play arouund with is a good idea, I don't think they should mix it in with iTMS. They can certainly sell online in a similar business model, but maybe they should open up a second store, (iTMS2 or iTunes Music Studio, or something).

I can imagine that if you start having a large selection of incomplete songs on there, it may make it too hard to find the complete songs, the albums and stuff sold on labels (whether indie or major labels).

Just my thoughts.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by DavidLeblond
Hmm... somehow I don't think this is gonna fly. Joe user can't just remix a song (even if he has access to the individual tracks) and "post" it on ITMS. Apple will just say "who the hell is this? This guy isn't with the band/label" and trash it.

And if they started releasing songs with all the instruments individually separated out, this would make the file a lot larger (ie if you have 4 stereo tracks, thats a file that is 4x the size of the original.)

I'm not saying its a terrible idea, just that I highly doubt Apple would do it... and that the industry will even let them.

they won't put them on iTunes. i ' know why they would in any possible way. and how about only people who want have these songs on the new iTunes Music Studio thing.

that way, everyone can be happy.

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Hopefully this will spread to other bands so I can bust out my key-tar and rock with Flock of Seaguls.

SFNE Freak

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
CT
This would not only be good for musicians, but for people who want to use songs without lyrics in their movie productions and such.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by SFNE Freak
This would not only be good for musicians, but for people who want to use songs without lyrics in their movie productions and such.

In the film Training Day there was a scene where Cypress Hill's 'Rap Superstar' was used in the soundtrack but without the lyrics. I thought that was so disrespectful. If the whole song does not suit the scene then the film-maker should use something else.

digdog1

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
There are a few music-only remix tracks available on ITMS already. For example, hip-hop duo Outkast has their singles "Hey Ya" and "The Way You Move" available as an EP bundle -- the vocal versions, plus instrumental-only tracks of the same songs -- for 3.99. (You can also buy each of the four tracks individually.)

re selling songs as MIDI tracks: Some groups do this already. In some music stores, you can buy MIDI-format versions of hit songs for use with music keyboards. Depending on how these tracks are formatted, I imagine you could import them into Garage Band and do your own "remix."

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
Originally posted by Sol
I do not doubt that most mainstream music tracks use 60+ tracks before being rendered down to two, for stereo listening. Having said that, if Apple starts selling these rumoured re-mastered tracks there is no reason why guitars could not be consolidated into one track, drums in another, and so on. Eight tracks would be plenty for the purpose of home-jamming along to your favourite artists.

I might have read this wrong so if I did then sorry. It is not possible to mix out a single AAC song with x amount of tracks. All those layers are mixed out into one single track. You're cd player decodes the channels (left and right) for stereo but they are not two seperate tracks. The only way to do this would be to have a audio file with all the layers before it gets mixed down to one track. In order to do that everyone shopping at iTMS would have to have multitrack music editing software (enter garageband). This is what I was talking about earlier. I could see this happening later on in the future, but I think it's gonna be a while. Besides... how big of a file does garage band produce with 5 tracks at 3 minutes a piece? I don't have it yet but guessing from other "bigger" music editing programs like pro tools it's quite a large file.

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
Originally posted by DavidLeblond

David you're exactly right about joe user not being able to post on iTMS. First off Apple doesn't take music directly from the bands. The bands have to agree to do it but the record labels are the ones that submit the files. Second Apple isn't going to take any unsolicitated material, and the only way to get solicited is to get signed on to a label. There are so many thousands of artists and music groups out there and it is impossible for everyone of them to be known by the people that put music up on the store. But those people do know Columbia, Virgin, BMG, Jive, etc, and these are the people that give apple the songs to put up. From what I hear garage band is awesome... but you're not gonna find any garage bands (that aren't signed) on the iTMS.

tkn

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2003
karaoke

They will need to add lyrics support with the bouncing ball next!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.