Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
remixxx

> > In the film Training Day there was a scene where Cypress Hill's 'Rap Superstar' was used in the soundtrack but without the lyrics. I thought that was so disrespectful. If the whole song does not suit the scene then the film-maker should use something else. < <

hey, there's an instrumental version of that song that came out on the vinyl version of the single - i had it when i was 12. there's nothing disrespectful about the band releasing an instrumental version of their own song. besides, film producers have to negotiate the rights to use films in movies, so either the band gave it the ok or some heartless A&R drone did. either way, the song was out there to begin with.

anyway, this whole trend was more or less predicted by Kevin Kelly (former editor of Wired) in this article, which was picked up by the New York Times: http://www.kk.org/writings/music.php

"Because you like to remix dance tunes, you buy the versions of songs that are remix-ready in all 24 tracks."

it's also worth mentioning that Kelly said, "So many amateur remixed versions of a hit tune are circulating on the Net that it's worth $5 to you to buy an authenticated official version," which seems to be in tune with some of the "original music" that some Garbage Band [sic] users are churning out.

anyway, like i said in another post, Sonic Foundry's http://www.acidplanet.com has been providing wannabe Rock Superstars with remix-ready song elements for a long time now, for free.

oh, umm, go iTunes and all that.

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2004
"i just don't trust stereo." - Stanley Kubrick

Originally posted by theISHkid
You're cd player decodes the channels (left and right) for stereo but they are not two seperate tracks.

actually, they are separate tracks - a final mixdown of a stereo song is referred to as a 2-track master. when you rip a song from a CD and open it up in Peak or any wave editor, you can clearly see two tracks. this is not computer voodoo, but just the way it works. a compact disc is not one big gob of music that gets split between the speakers. one track = mono, two tracks = stereo, it's that simple.

but hey, don't take my word for it:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=stereo+"two+tracks

same goes for tape - if you've ever used a four-track (what are those?!?) you just put a regular tape in and you can record to four tracks, because you're using the left and right channels on both sides.

a DVD disc also has multiple tracks for audio, all separate...

* edited to fix Google link

h'biki

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by theISHkid
hate to be the bearer of bad news... but the 8 different instruments on one song can't really happen.

Hmm. Yes and no.

Most engineers will break their 60+ tracks into sub-mixes (or subs) so they can mix more easily with a 'live' feel. Noone has 60+ fingers to mix.

Sub mixes are usually part of the same protools session. Its where you bus a range of tracks into one fader. Each track usually consists of the parts for a particular instrument (drums, rhythm guitar etc) and the submix becames the whole of the instrument in the master mix.

This has been pretty much the standard way of doing things since, I dunno, at least before Sgt Peppers... (which is considered to be the 'breakthrough' album in terms o record production)

So, really, its not that difficult for an engineer to mix down each sub-mix for iTunes. In fact, there'll be plenty of engineers who do that already -- they may prefer to master-mix in a new PT session... or they'll be palming off the overall mix to another engineer or the mastering engineer.

So yeah, not that hard.

[This is also true of film + video. Where an engineer might be responsible for the submix of the steps, or the slips, or the bullet richochets. Each of those submixes is passed onto another soundie in the chain, until eventually the mixer gets a fraction of the tracks that were recorded. They still have heaps but not too much. The Supervising Sound Editor is the guy who makes sure all these parts work together when given to the mixer... In music, this is usually the responsibility of the Producer, or a Senior Engineer]

lightboy56

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2004
whatever this is

great we can all be like P. Diddy or whatever he is this week. This idea sounds really off the wall and doesn't make much sense for record companies. Karoake. sure, everyone wants a program that they can strip vocals off a song. Why not. I bet streaming itunes or the the music store purchases of a group of songs with no vocals would be a big hit at parties.

Maybe this is the beginning of their launch into oversees markets. Japan, China, the whole of Asia.

The possibilities are endless.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Re: "i just don't trust stereo." - Stanley Kubrick

Originally posted by 603
same goes for tape - if you've ever used a four-track (what are those?!?) you just put a regular tape in and you can record to four tracks, because you're using the left and right channels on both sides.

Just to add a tiny amount...when you use a multitrack recorder, say with 8 or 24 tracks, in a studio, typically each track is monophonic (some of them have default bridging to make stereo tracks, but each one uses two tracks). This usually works out well because most recording hardware (microphones, guitar pickups, etc) are mono anyway.

So then on the mixboard, there is a pan knob that lets you set this at center (so that when you mix it down, it's 50-50 to the left and the right) or biased. So the stereo sound typically gets built up from giving different microphones and pickups different stereo biases.

I believe MP4 has support for multitrack audio (>2, e.g. 5.1), doesn't it? Does the AAC standard allow you to have more than two tracks?

I'd think it would be much cooler if Apple started getting bands to release Garageband versions of their songs....

But the instrumental tracks on hip-hop albums are good for remixing or for freestyling (not that there aren't enough sucker MCs out there already. :D)

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Re: Re: "i just don't trust stereo." - Stanley Kubrick

Originally posted by mkrishnan
I'd think it would be much cooler if Apple started getting bands to release Garageband versions of their songs....

I'd like to see how fast my GB crashed with a professional GB song, I throw 4 software instruments into mine and it goes belly up. :(

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
This was actually one of the first things I saw happening when Garage Band was released: the musical equivalent of fanfiction.net. :)

Like a group's lyrics, but not the lead's voice? Feel that you can re-interpret "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This" or "Tainted Love" better than Marilyn Manson (and really, who couldn't)? Show your dedication by giving your own interpretation.

The rest is just a matter of sorting the gems from the crap (also much like fanfiction.net).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.