PDA

View Full Version : Studying Audio Production in Melbourne?

dazloe
Nov 1, 2008, 11:04 PM
Greetings ladies and gents, at the moment I am planning to move to melbourne (australia) to study sound design and audio production. I have done a bit of research, but I wanted to know if there are any colleges or uni's that are based around Logic Pro? Thanks again :) (I'll be moving to St. Kilda)

DJJONES
Nov 7, 2008, 10:30 PM
Greetings ladies and gents, at the moment I am planning to move to melbourne (australia) to study sound design and audio production. I have done a bit of research, but I wanted to know if there are any colleges or uni's that are based around Logic Pro? Thanks again :) (I'll be moving to St. Kilda)

some schools might have cources specific to logic.
are you going to sae by any chance?

dazloe
Nov 7, 2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the reply :) SAE is a definite possibility, but I was also looking at JMC and the University of Melbourne. I would like to move to new york, but for the time being studying logic/audio production in australia would be ideal! Thanks again for your help :)

WinterMute
Nov 8, 2008, 04:28 AM
I can't recommend SAE, they don't give you the practical experience (I'm speaking of the London outfit, but have no reason to expect anything different from the Aussie set-up). They are also expensive.

It's a little hit and miss going to a University, and it depends on the course and the specific subject you want to study.

Practical recording and production degrees are expensive to outfit and run, and a lot of Uni's pad their courses with academic and research content that has little to do with the job and the profession.

I'd suggest you get a list of colleges that have Music tech and recording courses, get hold of the course descriptions and then go have a look at the physical facilities, the studios and the lecture spaces specifically.

I lecture here: http://music.tvu.ac.uk/.

We have excellent facilities and staff drawn from the best of the industries practitioners, if you want a course that gives you the skills, you need to find something like this.